Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

azflyboy posted:

I'm officially proud of myself, since I managed to silence the noisy window seals on my Forester for a whopping $11.

Yesterday, I was wiping some snow off the inside of the window gusset (the triangular rubber thing at the front of the window) while driving, and discovered that if I pressed on the gusset, the wind noise almost vanished.

When I got home, I rolled down the front windows, and noticed that the gussets were slightly spread apart at the top, probably from people opening and closing the doors by pushing on the windows before I owned the Forester.

Inspired by this, I bought an $11 set of vice grips (somehow I didn't already own a set), and clamped them down pretty firmly on the top part of both gussets for a couple of seconds. When I removed them, the gap for the window was visibly smaller, and the window motor no longer sounded like it was having a load removed on that part of the track.

Today, I was stunned to be able to drive in 35mph winds, without hearing a whistling from the front windows, and the little stream of cold air that used to come from the front of the windows is gone to boot.

Thanks for figuring this out for me, I'll be doing it the next day I have off :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Is it normal to hear a bit of a clunk sometimes when the AWD engages in slippery conditions? My 02' Impreza is an automatic and I had it out on the snow today. Noticed it would clunk sometimes when the front tires first started slipping. After the initial clunk it would be fine.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It depends where you get the 3M done; from what I understand from asking locals about it, some places use lower-quality film (one doesn't even bother covering the entire hood, with big "panel gaps" on the corners and front edge). On a white car I wouldn't risk it anyway; I'd guess that all of it yellows out eventually.

Black car? Yeah, I'd probably go for that. Looks a lot better than a fabric bra and the Subaru paint is really thin.

Has anyone with a 2008+ Impreza gone for the short shifter kit? Is it actually worth $475 CAD or could I install a third-party one without busting my warranty later?

HAHga $500 for a short shifter? Go to kartboy.com and look for the shifter there. It takes about 10-15 minutes to install.
1. take off trim around shifter in car
2. unscrew knob
3. unbolt 1 bolt
4. push shifter at odd angle, and it will pop out of the socket
5. wipe grease from one ball to new ball
6. use rubber mallet or taped hammer to 'knock' the new ball into the joint<required a good bit of force
7. replace bolt from earlier
8. replace trim and knob
9. shorter shift! good job!

Its extremely easy. the kartboy stuff goes for around $100. guides can be had online by searching. I also <with help> installed my catback exhaust. Extremely easy to do with a floor jack and some stands. About 1 hour if everything goes well.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lando posted:

HAHga $500 for a short shifter? Go to kartboy.com and look for the shifter there. It takes about 10-15 minutes to install.
1. take off trim around shifter in car
2. unscrew knob
3. unbolt 1 bolt
4. push shifter at odd angle, and it will pop out of the socket
5. wipe grease from one ball to new ball
6. use rubber mallet or taped hammer to 'knock' the new ball into the joint<required a good bit of force
7. replace bolt from earlier
8. replace trim and knob
9. shorter shift! good job!

Its extremely easy. the kartboy stuff goes for around $100. guides can be had online by searching. I also <with help> installed my catback exhaust. Extremely easy to do with a floor jack and some stands. About 1 hour if everything goes well.

To be fair, the STi short shift kit is a complete linkage and probably gives a bit better feel as a result. Also, if you replace the whole thing, you can hit all the bushings and replace them with harder ones. I'm not sure how much good a Kartboy short shifter alone would do.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Mr. Powers posted:

To be fair, the STi short shift kit is a complete linkage and probably gives a bit better feel as a result. Also, if you replace the whole thing, you can hit all the bushings and replace them with harder ones. I'm not sure how much good a Kartboy short shifter alone would do.

I would suggest getting the harder shifter bushings from Kartboy as well. I have both and installed them (and I suck at cars) easily. I think its just as good as the STI kit (although I've only driven one once) and much cheaper.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Since I have an 09 OBS, which kartboy product do I get? I am guessing the 08 wrx one, since they are pretty much the same setup.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

People looking for a shifter, check out that double adjustable shifter that guy over on the Saab 9-2x forums makes. $95 for a shifter you can adjust in height and throw, pretty sweet. And definitely get a set of shifter bushings, $30 well spent.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Saw some SVX chatter way back. I had a 93 black on maroon (black cherry?) SVX.

Bought it used and it was the only one out of the 3 I found which wasn't leaking fluids, rusting underneath, or had been seriously wrecked.

It was a great car, drove amazingly well even in heavy FL rain, and the only issues I had were rotors that warped frequently, and a shutter that only manifested itself when making a hard turn from a stop under power that developed around 50K mi. I assume that was the transmission issue but I totaled it before I ever had it diagnosed.

Beautiful car though, and really rock solid. Would definitely get another Subaru.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

People looking for a shifter, check out that double adjustable shifter that guy over on the Saab 9-2x forums makes. $95 for a shifter you can adjust in height and throw, pretty sweet. And definitely get a set of shifter bushings, $30 well spent.

Ixiz: http://www.ixizconcept.com/

hoping to pick up one of his short shifter's in not too long.

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma
I am totally stumped by this issue. It's a '98 Outback and it keeps throwing misfire codes for cylinders 1 and 3. It only happens under load and above 4k RPM. You can't feel or hear a thing though.

Tried testing all the plugs/wires for shorts..nothing. Not even a fouled plug.
Fuel flow is fine, replaced the filter and checked the pump.
Heads were off recently for remachining. While it was all apart checked all the valve clearances and for any damage anywhere and there is nothing wrong.

It still throws the codes though. Not all the time, it pretty much has to be in 5th gear above 4k or it won't happen but there's really nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. In a fit of desperation my dad even took it to the dealer to have "his guy" look it over and he couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Every single maintenance interval has been done on this car too. Oil changed every 3000 miles. Had to get a new book because all the spaces for stamps in the original were filled :v:

What could possibly be wrong with it?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What is the actual code that it is throwing?
I'll ask my friend tonight about the problem and post again if he has any ideas.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Hmm would those mudflaps help keep water from splashing up on the rear window of a Forester?

Yes, given you don't drive through some massive water hole. While the flaps don't keep as much crap off the side of my Forester as I wanted, they do really cut down on the overall spray. The Forester version seems to stick out further than the Impreza version.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

We've got about a foot and a half of snow here in Southern Ontario and I just got my snow tires on yesterday. The car seemed to do okay with the super lovely all-seasons on but holy poo poo does it do awesome with snow tires on. This car is a snow destroying monster.

Its taking me a while to get used to the fancy Active-AWD transferring power around. I'm used to driving FWD and fighting the steering wheel to correct. When I try that with four wheels moving I end up over correcting. I've started driving with mantra that the Subaru MPT knows best and its much better.

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma

ab0z posted:

What is the actual code that it is throwing?
I'll ask my friend tonight about the problem and post again if he has any ideas.

I don't remember the numbers, but it's it's two misfire codes. Cylinders 1 and 3 only.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

8ender posted:

We've got about a foot and a half of snow here in Southern Ontario and I just got my snow tires on yesterday.

We've lucked out with nothing but flurries this weekend but looks like the white stuff is coming from Monday onwards.I've been running snows since the beginning of Nov, its the "anythign can happen" month and I run pure summer tires.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am pretty sure Subaru of New England and Ernie Boch Jr. saw my order for a base model 2009 WRX almost two months ago and bumped it to the bottom of the pile and kept it there for a few weeks. I just heard from my car salesman today that it is still probably a couple weeks away.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

It flurried very lightly in Northampton MA yesterday, gotta throw my Nokians on Monday before I head upstate to NY this week.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

It flurried very lightly in Northampton MA yesterday, gotta throw my Nokians on Monday before I head upstate to NY this week.

I still can't put my snow tires on, because I'd just have to take them off when the WRX arrives. Also, the paint on them is still curing for another week.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I got a new set of Goodyear Nordics (Ultragrip 500's) for my Impreza. This is the first winter with the Impreza and I think I'm a Subaru owner for life now. Its like driving a goddamn tank.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Has anyone with a 2008+ Impreza gone for the short shifter kit? Is it actually worth $475 CAD or could I install a third-party one without busting my warranty later?

If you know anyone with any sort of welding knowledge, you should be able to hack the stocker, adda bit of material, and make your own for $4 + 6-pack of beer.

It won't void your warrantee unless you shift so awesome you punch out a shift fork. And that is impossible. Try. Brick shithouse strong shift forks. You may break a synchro though, so don't try.

8ender posted:

I got a new set of Goodyear Nordics (Ultragrip 500's) for my Impreza. This is the first winter with the Impreza and I think I'm a Subaru owner for life now. Its like driving a goddamn tank.

I have Nokian Hapliijibjibaers RSis. You could drive up a glass building in this drat car. Welcome to the cult.

Turbo Car fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 24, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I got in my car (2005 Saab 9-2x MT) yesterday to drive to the store, I was parked down-hill with my car in reverse and I started the car and it jerked and went ka-thunk and stopped. The best I can figure is I didn't have the clutch fully engaged when I turned the key but in the ~10 years I've been driving manuals I don't think I've ever sub-consciously done this. I didn't think much of it and drove to the store, on pulling out of the lot in reverse I started hearing a kind of slipping/clicking sound like the clutch was slipping. I was hoping it just wasn't fully engaged and some folks on the saab92x.com forums said it's a somewhat common issue with the gear selector not being able to engage reverse and it would go away on it should go away... a day later and a few more errands run and it's still doing it.

Does it sound like I chipped some teeth or something? I've never had any transmission problems so I'm really concerned that I could have somehow inadvertently hosed up something serious subconsciously even though I've driven MT's since I got my permit.

Thoughts? Consolation?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Put my Nokian RSIs on today with my LGT rims. Found a huge road spike in one of the tires...and started to pull it out like a shithead. Then I stopped myself and realized how retarded I was being, and just put the wheels on and had it patched at the tire shop down the street for $10.

Also, got the Rally Armor Basic mudflaps today, I'm very impressed with them, I really don't see the reason to go with the $130 UR flaps over the Basics, they were only like $52 shipped. Gonna try to get them on tomorrow morning if I wake up early enough.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mr. Powers posted:

I am pretty sure Subaru of New England and Ernie Boch Jr. saw my order for a base model 2009 WRX almost two months ago and bumped it to the bottom of the pile and kept it there for a few weeks. I just heard from my car salesman today that it is still probably a couple weeks away.

I got my 09 WRX earlier in October and Subaru of Wakefield had a few left in the lot after mine. Is yours a special color or something?

This will be my first winter with a non-boat car; I used to drive a 93 Cadillac DeVille sedan. I've yet to purchase snow tires, but Im gonna get on that tomorrow or Wednesday. A few of my college friends both had Blizzaks (one had an 03 STI and the other had a Saabaru, forget what year). I checked online and they're quite expensive, I was hoping to not spend a fortune. Any recommendations? Im in Somerville MA if that helps. The snowfall isn't super insane, but it snows enough.

e: D'oh, missed the part about Ernie and the Automatics. Different dealerships = different stocks Im assuming.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 24, 2008

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

Gonna try to get them on tomorrow morning if I wake up early enough.

Have fun trying to get screws to thread. Take off the wheel and it gets a lot easier.

Turbo Car fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 25, 2008

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
Anyone know of a decent bike rack that will (confirmed) work on the 07 WRX wagon? I don't want the overpriced dealer rack unless it's the hitch rack and then I would have to get hitch welded on.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
For those thinking of an STI, Subaru is running a deal right now for 2008 STIs.
0% APR for 63 months, and some people are stating they are getting up to $8000 off MSRP. Subaru is giving dealers a huge money back thing to the dealers to move stock. 675 or higher credit rating is what is needed evidently to get the 0%.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
*plugs ears* LALALALALALA I can't hear you!

I love my legacy. I love my legacy. I love my legacy.

Content: That is a smoking deal. I'm already into positive equity on my Legacy, but I just refi'ed the sucker to lower the rate and monthly pmt, and going from 12k debt back to 20k+ would suck! Otherwise I'd be all over this.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GravityDaemon posted:

I got my 09 WRX earlier in October and Subaru of Wakefield had a few left in the lot after mine. Is yours a special color or something?

This will be my first winter with a non-boat car; I used to drive a 93 Cadillac DeVille sedan. I've yet to purchase snow tires, but Im gonna get on that tomorrow or Wednesday. A few of my college friends both had Blizzaks (one had an 03 STI and the other had a Saabaru, forget what year). I checked online and they're quite expensive, I was hoping to not spend a fortune. Any recommendations? Im in Somerville MA if that helps. The snowfall isn't super insane, but it snows enough.

e: D'oh, missed the part about Ernie and the Automatics. Different dealerships = different stocks Im assuming.

Special color = 5-door DGM and a base model. The only 2009's I had seen come in at that point were premiums. There are no 2009's inventories in MA or NH right now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mr. Powers posted:

Special color = 5-door DGM and a base model. The only 2009's I had seen come in at that point were premiums. There are no 2009's inventories in MA or NH right now.

My reading comprehension is bad today - I got the premium, I guess the other ones were premiums too. Well, I can tell you the wait is worth it! It's a great car!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anyone have any insight regarding my post a few posts up? Am I risking any further damage by driving my car for a week or so until I can get it into the shop to look at the clutch?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Lando posted:

0% APR for 63 months, and some people are stating they are getting up to $8000 off MSRP. Subaru is giving dealers a huge money back thing to the dealers to move stock. 675 or higher credit rating is what is needed evidently to get the 0%.

Wait, so they're going for $27k?

Oh god that is too tempting for my own good.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
If I could snag a STi for 27k, I'd be all over that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wait, so they're going for $27k?

Oh god that is too tempting for my own good.

I posted a few pages ago, people are getting them with the BBS wheels for $29k locally. That would put a base STi at $27k, yes. I am ridiculously tempted to just take the light gray one at the dealership that I am getting my 09 WRX through, just because I don't want to wait anymore. Too bad light gray is a terrible color for the STi, and I'd need to get new wheels to put snow tires on.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Mr. Powers posted:

I posted a few pages ago, people are getting them with the BBS wheels for $29k locally. That would put a base STi at $27k, yes. I am ridiculously tempted to just take the light gray one at the dealership that I am getting my 09 WRX through, just because I don't want to wait anymore. Too bad light gray is a terrible color for the STi, and I'd need to get new wheels to put snow tires on.

I'm pretty tempted to trade my LGT in for satin white. Oh man :/

\/\/\/ Aspen White is even better! \/\/\/

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 25, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm pretty tempted to trade my LGT in for satin white. Oh man :/

'08 was still Aspen White.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Lando posted:

drat that's a good deal. I'm seriously considering trading in the Saabaru now after hearing that. I might have to go take a test drive this weekend. One of my local dealers has one for about $5,435 off MSRP. Is the $8k off a regional thing or would I just have to work them down that far?

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Thoughts? Consolation?

Reverese on the 5MT can be a bit wacko. Sometimes it won't go in at all, sometimes (rarely) only partially. If you're not sure you've got it in (or it won't go in), put it in first, roll forward a tiny bit, and it should slot into reverse again AOK.

Reverse is dog-style, straight cut. Strong, but loud and clunky. What you're experiencing is normal.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yeah getting into reverse on my 140k mile 5 speed is pretty irritating and grindey sometimes.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Lazor posted:

drat that's a good deal. I'm seriously considering trading in the Saabaru now after hearing that. I might have to go take a test drive this weekend. One of my local dealers has one for about $5,435 off MSRP. Is the $8k off a regional thing or would I just have to work them down that far?
According to NASIOC, this is working throughout the US. So yeah, 27-29K for an sti depending on options/package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jamal posted:

yeah getting into reverse on my 140k mile 5 speed is pretty irritating and grindey sometimes.
I generally stick it in first or second, double-clutch and it will slide right in. I only have 50k on my car, though.