Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cacator posted:

It's supposed to be them, who else would it be? I remember in the Departed thread that people argued incessantly over this.

See, it really depressed me that Frank and his crew were not above executing a 14 year old girl. Like in a movie of horrible acts, that one was way beyond anything else in the movie.

But as i said, the people shot look quite different. Like the guy has full head of brown hair, and the woman has longer hair. Similar top.

Though one of my friends said it was Matt Damons parents.

There has always been the murder of teenage girls that has always impacted me more than any other kind of murder in film, tv or real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

twistedmentat posted:

There has always been the murder of teenage girls that has always impacted me more than any other kind of murder in film, tv or real life.

You must love '80s horror movies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

morestuff posted:

You must love '80s horror movies.

Its not hard when the "Teenagers" all look about 25.

Okay, question for the effects people, when you see in a zombie movie some people chowing down on what looks like guts of some poor sap, what is it?

I saw a documentary recently that talked about how they really were eating raw animal guys in the original Night of the Living dead, but I find that hard to believe. Considering how cheap that movie was made, I can't believe they could find extras that were willing to do that for the pittance they were paid.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

twistedmentat posted:

Its not hard when the "Teenagers" all look about 25.

Okay, question for the effects people, when you see in a zombie movie some people chowing down on what looks like guts of some poor sap, what is it?

I saw a documentary recently that talked about how they really were eating raw animal guys in the original Night of the Living dead, but I find that hard to believe. Considering how cheap that movie was made, I can't believe they could find extras that were willing to do that for the pittance they were paid.

Yeah, they used real intestines. I think from a pig, but I'm not sure. I know they also used real intestines in 'Day of the Dead', and the extras were getting sick from it. And people will do a lot of things, if it means they show up in a movie. It's not about the money. Now, what they use in movies like, say, the new 'Dawn of the Dead', I'm not sure. They might just stick with pig intestines. They'd be cheap enough, and look real enough.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
ignore me :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, they used real intestines. I think from a pig, but I'm not sure. I know they also used real intestines in 'Day of the Dead', and the extras were getting sick from it. And people will do a lot of things, if it means they show up in a movie. It's not about the money. Now, what they use in movies like, say, the new 'Dawn of the Dead', I'm not sure. They might just stick with pig intestines. They'd be cheap enough, and look real enough.

Ugh. I can't see anyone wanting to be in a movie so badly that they'll put guts from a pig in their mouth. It isn't fear factor.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

For the guy that asked about Christopher McQuarrie earlier in the thread. Basically he spent all that time being a script doctor. It's pretty much a given that he did work on all Bryan Singer's films and was just employed as a general re-writer. They also earn a fortune from it (See also, Frank Darabont and yes it's true, Carrie Fisher).

Well, at least he's working.

New question: When does Denis Leary appear in the director's cut of Natural Born Killers? I just watched it again the other night and the text on the back of the DVD case that talks about the extra crap in the director's cut mentions something about Denis Leary's part that was put back in as well.

I've seen the theatrical cut many times (saw it in the theater and my brother had it on VHS for a while) before I bought a copy of the director's cut on DVD a while back so I recognize a lot of stuff that was added in but I don't remember seeing Denis Leary when I watched it last night. One of those "blink and you'll miss it" scenes?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh. I can't see anyone wanting to be in a movie so badly that they'll put guts from a pig in their mouth. It isn't fear factor.

In City of the Living Dead, the actress who pukes up her own intestines had to swallow warm sheep intestines and then vomit them back up. It makes the scene way more disgusting if you know this ahead of time :)

I have a question about There Will Be Blood. Why does Daniel kill Eli? I get the back and forth between them, the taking revenge in public whenever they've denied one another what they've wanted, but the actual bludgeoning seems to come out of nowhere. He's already humiliated Eli, mocked him about taking the oil from the Bandy tract, went on about how wonderful his brother is doing...so why does he kill him? I like that movie but I fear I may be too dumb for it :shobon:.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Women's Rights? posted:

In City of the Living Dead, the actress who pukes up her own intestines had to swallow warm sheep intestines and then vomit them back up. It makes the scene way more disgusting if you know this ahead of time :)

I have a question about There Will Be Blood. Why does Daniel kill Eli? I get the back and forth between them, the taking revenge in public whenever they've denied one another what they've wanted, but the actual bludgeoning seems to come out of nowhere. He's already humiliated Eli, mocked him about taking the oil from the Bandy tract, went on about how wonderful his brother is doing...so why does he kill him? I like that movie but I fear I may be too dumb for it :shobon:.

Cause the movie isn't called "There will be Ridicule"?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's the one last thing Daniel could do to him. Hence, the closing line of the film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cacator posted:

It's supposed to be them, who else would it be? I remember in the Departed thread that people argued incessantly over this.

Well, not to argue incessantly, but, um, why do you think it's them? It really looks nothing like them, and as for "who else would it be?" couldn't it be, I dont know, another random man and woman? I'm sure Costello's killed a lot of people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Women's Rights? posted:

Oh god :gonk:

I only jst watched that not to long ago in a "zombie movies i haven't seen before" marathon. Though I did watch Zombie! finally. Zombie vs shark :iamafag:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Encryptic posted:

New question: When does Denis Leary appear in the director's cut of Natural Born Killers? One of those "blink and you'll miss it" scenes?
Just before the prison interview sequence, I think. It's just him in a cell ranting about Mickey and Mallory. I think it's intercut with a bunch of other talking head clips, like the Steven Wright bits.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Women's Rights? posted:

I took it as Daniel being given one last chance of leading a good life, of being saved, and him just bluntly and utterly turning it down.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

SubG posted:

Just before the prison interview sequence, I think. It's just him in a cell ranting about Mickey and Mallory. I think it's intercut with a bunch of other talking head clips, like the Steven Wright bits.

Ah, that explains why I would've missed it then. Thanks.

Since I was reading the "cinematic garbage" thread and somebody admitted to owning all 7 Children of the Corn movies - I just have to wonder: Does this direct-to-video crap actually make any money? Is there really an audience for it, or is it just some kind of tax write-off strategy for some people (invest in lovely movie production, declare a loss on your taxes)?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Encryptic posted:

Ah, that explains why I would've missed it then. Thanks.

Since I was reading the "cinematic garbage" thread and somebody admitted to owning all 7 Children of the Corn movies - I just have to wonder: Does this direct-to-video crap actually make any money? Is there really an audience for it, or is it just some kind of tax write-off strategy for some people (invest in lovely movie production, declare a loss on your taxes)?

DTV is pretty profitable. Braindead horror sells in every country (like action) because it crosses cultural boundaries just fine. They don't have to waste money on advertising like you'd have to with theatrical releases and can instead rely on rental agreements and television deals. And with the Sci-Fi channel's (and some up and coming competitors) voracious appetite for a new bad film every week, there's a near guaranteed home for lots of them.

And there's a near infinite demand for horror. Horror fans will eat nearly anything up in the search for hidden gems. Even when it's bad it can be enjoyable as you can always appreciate the effects. CGI has gotten cheap enough that when you set the bar low enough it isn't a super strain on the budget and can still pass muster.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Women's Rights? posted:

Eli continually tried to dominate Daniel, tried to have him submit to his religious will, Daniel on the other hand wanted that town to pretty much keel over and let him run things his way. It seemed to me at the end, Eli was still trying to somehow impose his will over Daniel and it all came crashing down on him. At least that's how I took it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I thought Daniel was still bitter about Eli embarrassing him during the baptism, because his guilt really was torturing him. H.W. walking out on him brought those feelings back and Eli arrived just in time for Daniel to take it out on him.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Rake Arms posted:

I thought Daniel was still bitter about Eli embarrassing him during the baptism, because his guilt really was torturing him. H.W. walking out on him brought those feelings back and Eli arrived just in time for Daniel to take it out on him.

Look, Daniel had ALWAYS violently opposed anyone who tried to stand in his way of getting oil. Even his own adopted son. He probably would have tried to kill him if he hadn't felt some small amount of "like" for him.

The Sunday kid embarrassed him and forced him to play by ridiculous rules that Daniel abhorred. You knew it was coming once he made Daniel get on his knees in church.

"I've abandoned my child!"

angels on horseback
Nov 9, 2008
Not to drive the "Departed" question into the ground, but I always assumed that the man and the woman in that scene were "Guineas" from Northie or from "down Providence", who were constant targets of not only Costello, but his real-life counterpart Whitey Bulger.

The scene also highlights just how early on Frank Costello is losing touch with exactly what he does.

Costello: Jeeze.... she fell funny.
French: :crossarms: Francis, you really should see somebody. *grabs hatchet to dismember victims*

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Frank Costello had become so experienced and notorious for executing his enemies that he could do it in broad daylight in a less than seculded place. It never occured to me that that could be the father and daughter from the diner, especially since Sorcese went out of his way to give the Providence Italians a very distinctive look, which, IIRC, the man in that execution scene had.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

^I just assumed they were people who had crossed him. I don't think it matters who they were. It was just to show that Costello is loving crazy.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ZenMaster posted:

Look, Daniel had ALWAYS violently opposed anyone who tried to stand in his way of getting oil. Even his own adopted son. He probably would have tried to kill him if he hadn't felt some small amount of "like" for him.

The Sunday kid embarrassed him and forced him to play by ridiculous rules that Daniel abhorred. You knew it was coming once he made Daniel get on his knees in church.

"I've abandoned my child!"

I'd argue Plainview wasn't embarrassed. What could make a guy like that feel shame? I'm one of the ones that views Daniel as being not some greedy, oil-grabbing soulless monster, like some do, but as very human with severe emotional issues. He definitely loved H.W., which I think for Daniel was unexpected and kind of confusing. But Plainview was playing along with all the stuff in the church. He's a smart business man. He knew what he had to do, he knew Eli, being the self-righteous person that he is, would try to pull something like that. Daniel was expecting it, and he played along with it, so that way he could carry on with his business. Watch that seen again, at the point he says "I'm ready", that's when he turns off the act and knows he won.

What he did to Eli at the end, well, that's because Eli was in a pathetic state, coming to Daniel pretty much on his hands and knees, despite his outward look of success. Daniel just gave him a taste of his own self-righteous medicine. A fairly big taste.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rake Arms posted:

I think it is a bit of all of them. I do believe that Daniel loved HW, and he would hate Eli for making him feel that guilt and that love - and when Eli comes after HW has walked out, Daniel can vent all of his pent-up rage, guilt and frustration on the man who made him face up to it. Eli, while being slimy and avaricious, also represents, in a twisted way, Daniel's conscience.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ape Agitator posted:

DTV is pretty profitable. Braindead horror sells in every country (like action) because it crosses cultural boundaries just fine. They don't have to waste money on advertising like you'd have to with theatrical releases and can instead rely on rental agreements and television deals. And with the Sci-Fi channel's (and some up and coming competitors) voracious appetite for a new bad film every week, there's a near guaranteed home for lots of them.

And there's a near infinite demand for horror. Horror fans will eat nearly anything up in the search for hidden gems. Even when it's bad it can be enjoyable as you can always appreciate the effects. CGI has gotten cheap enough that when you set the bar low enough it isn't a super strain on the budget and can still pass muster.

And often times a DTV gets some kind of theater release either in the states or in other parts of the world. So the people who made the movie gets some kind of money, just like multi-million dollar prices.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Ape Agitato posted:

BooDoug187 posted:

And often times a DTV gets some kind of theater release either in the states or in other parts of the world. So the people who made the movie gets some kind of money, just like multi-million dollar prices.

This is interesting stuff, thanks. I don't watch a lot of horror myself aside from some of the classics like old school Cronenberg, the Evil Dead trilogy, etc. and some of the more well-known movies in the genre, so I didn't realize it was that big of a market.

Since we're on the topic though - I've got a dumb question about Cube since I happened to see it the other night. How did Holloway know so much about Quentin? There's a scene where they're arguing and she blurts out something about "liking little girls too much" or something and Quentin says she knew too much about him.

Worth reveals that he designed the cube's outer shell and implies that the cube is some kind of government experiment, so I'm wondering what we're to infer from Holloway's comments - is she supposed to be a government plant who knows more than she's telling?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Encryptic posted:

Since we're on the topic though - I've got a dumb question about Cube since I happened to see it the other night. How did Holloway know so much about Quentin? There's a scene where they're arguing and she blurts out something about "liking little girls too much" or something and Quentin says she knew too much about him.

Worth reveals that he designed the cube's outer shell and implies that the cube is some kind of government experiment, so I'm wondering what we're to infer from Holloway's comments - is she supposed to be a government plant who knows more than she's telling?

She's likely been observing how he's been eyeing Leaven. She's a cynic and a conspiracy nut distrustful of people in power. It's probably not a stretch for her to call a cop interested in a teenager a closet pedo.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

She's likely been observing how he's been eyeing Leaven. She's a cynic and a conspiracy nut distrustful of people in power. It's probably not a stretch for her to call a cop interested in a teenager a closet pedo.

Good point. And once again you come to the rescue to save me from ignorance. :)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

She also turns out to be correct. After Holloway dies, Quentin tries to screw Leaven.

That reminds me, I never quite understood how they mapped the room's movement. They found each room's starting position by adding the digits of each number together, but how did they find the other positions? I know it has something to do with permutations, but I don't get how it works.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 25, 2008

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rake Arms posted:

That reminds me, I never quite understood how they mapped the room's movement. They found each room's starting position by adding the digits of each number together, but how did they find the other positions? I know it has something to do with permutations, but I don't get how it works.

I'm working off memory here but I think the permutations were contained in each of the six doors each room had. Six doors, six three digit number groupings, added together to get six different XYZ coordinates per room. So X1Y1Z1,X2Y2Z2...X6Y6Z6. They were originally obsessed with going in one direction to reach the edge so they only paid attention to the number groupings from one permutation's door. Like they were always reading X3Y3Z3 in each room because they were dedicated to going East.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Rake Arms posted:

She also turns out to be correct. After Holloway dies, Quentin tries to screw Leaven.

Yeah - I didn't read that much into it when I watched it the other night. I guess I was overthinking it a bit. That explanation makes a lot more sense.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Re: the Frost/Nixon movie:
Can anyone explain Nixon's phone call that he later forgot about? Was he just blackout drunk or did Frost imagine it since he needed a bottom-of-the-ninth-2-out pep-talk to get his rear end into gear for the final interview?

Answer:
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2008/12/04/frostnixon_director_howard_voted_for_nixon/

"In another admission, screenwriter Peter Morgan told the same screening audience that Nixon's fictionalized high-tension phone call to Frost one night between interview sessions did not actually happen, but was plausible because Nixon mixed alcohol with mood stabilizers.

"We know he made late night phone calls. He didn't remember them," Morgan said, adding "I had what I felt got to the heart of Richard Nixon" including a tendency to "destroy himself.""

voltron fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 10, 2008

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

What movie is it where a guy has to open a valve to a tube connected to his lungs to relieve pressure every now and then? IIRC, it was an action movie. That's all I remember. I just saw the chest-needle scene in Pulp Fiction and I thought of that movie.

Someone please help before I go insane. I remember that the guy with the valve is handcuffed and can't open the valve on his own, so he is begging someone to free him so he can.

edit: NVM, Three Kings. :D

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Why is the movie Brazil titled as such? I know that song that he hums at the end is called Brasil or something, but other than that is there any connection with the name of the movie and something else?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Artem posted:

Why is the movie Brazil titled as such? I know that song that he hums at the end is called Brasil or something, but other than that is there any connection with the name of the movie and something else?

From The Brazil FAQ, here's the explanation from Gilliam himself, along with some other interesting facts about the title, culminating in an incredibly :wtf: list of alternative titles:

quote:

What is the title BRAZIL supposed to mean?

Certainly BRAZIL is an enigmatic title for a movie that seems to have nothing to do with the country of Brazil. One of the drafts of the screenplay was entitled The Ministry of Torture, or Brazil, or How I Learned to Live with the System -- So Far, and Gilliam also considered calling his screenplay 1984 1/2. Many of the drafts appear to have simply been titled The Ministry. In the book The Battle of Brazil, Gilliam explains where the inspiration stemmed from, while he was in Port Talbot, Wales:

"Port Talbot is a steel town, where everything is covered with gray iron ore dust. Even the beach is completely littered with dust, its just black. The sun was setting, and it was quite beautiful. The contrast was extraordinary, I had this image of a guy sitting there on this dingy beach with a portable radio, tuning in these strange Latin escapist songs like 'Brazil.' The music transported him somehow and made his world less gray."

Sid Sheinberg didn't like the title, and had the Universal staff submit suggestions for a new title. These suggestions included the titles:

If Osmosis, Who Are You?
Some Day Soon
Vortex
Day Dreams and Night Tripper
What a Future!
Litterbugs
The Works
Skylight City
You Show Me Your Dream...
Access
Arresting Developments
Nude Descending Bathroom Scale
Lords of the Files
Dreamscape
The Staplegunners
Progress
Forever More
The Right to Bear Arms
Explanada Fortunata Is Not My Real Name
All Too Soon
Chaos
Where Were We?
Disconnected Parties
Blank/Blank
Erotic
Shadow Time
Maelstrom
Forces of Darkness
The Man in the Custom Tailored T-shirt
Fold, Spindle, Mutilate
Can't Anybody Here Play the Cymbals?
Sign on High
The Ball Bearing Electro Memory Circuit Buster
This Escalator Doesn't Stop At Your Station
Gnu Yak, Gnu Yak, and Other Bestial Places.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sheinberg posted:

If Osmosis, Who Are You?
Day Dreams and Night Tripper
You Show Me Your Dream...
Nude Descending Bathroom Scale
Dreamscape
The Staplegunners
Explanada Fortunata Is Not My Real Name
The Man in the Custom Tailored T-shirt
Can't Anybody Here Play the Cymbals?
The Ball Bearing Electro Memory Circuit Buster
This Escalator Doesn't Stop At Your Station
Gnu Yak, Gnu Yak, and Other Bestial Places.

I honestly don't understand what most of these even mean, let alone what they have to do with the movie.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Dreamscape was used for another 80s movie, ironically enough, but I would have gone with: Nude Descending Bathroom Scale :v: wtf

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I honestly don't understand what most of these even mean, let alone what they have to do with the movie.

I know. I have to wonder if it was one of those things where people just wrote really stupid things on there, like you did when sheets went around in high school.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

voltron posted:

Re: the Frost/Nixon movie:
Can anyone explain Nixon's phone call [snip]

Spoiler this, chum.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Can anyone recommend me a movie similar to Clue? I love stories about people trapped in a castle-like environment, trying to escape or find a murderer. It doesn't have to be a comedy, but I hate jump shot horror movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Agatha Christie-based films like Murder on The Orient Express and Death on the Nile.