Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Turbo Car posted:

Reverese on the 5MT can be a bit wacko. Sometimes it won't go in at all, sometimes (rarely) only partially. If you're not sure you've got it in (or it won't go in), put it in first, roll forward a tiny bit, and it should slot into reverse again AOK.

Reverse is dog-style, straight cut. Strong, but loud and clunky. What you're experiencing is normal.

It's not that though I don't think. It's fully in, it's just clicking/slipping. It feels like something is chipped because it's a cyclical click. like on a rotation. I have to feather it a ton if I want to reverse.

When it first started was when I started my car in reverse and it bucked really hard and made sort of a crunching sound. I've been driving it for 4 days now and it's still doing the same thing in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
I wouldn't drive the car until I had someone take a look at the tranny.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

I wouldn't drive the car until I had someone take a look at the tranny.

It's only reverse that is making any odd noises, all forward gears are fine but I guess I'll try to set up an appointment to take it into the dealer tomorrow. It's just under 40k miles but I don't know how long of a warranty it has since I just bought it from the original owner a few months ago.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

It's only reverse that is making any odd noises, all forward gears are fine but I guess I'll try to set up an appointment to take it into the dealer tomorrow. It's just under 40k miles but I don't know how long of a warranty it has since I just bought it from the original owner a few months ago.

Yeah, but you use reverse ever single time you drive don't you? Worst case scenario, sounds like you might have buggered something internally, why risk making it worse? Unless you absolutely have to drive it, I guess you would have no choice. But if something did break, then chances are pieces will still be floating around there somewhere, which can't be very good for anything else, right?

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

MMD3 posted:

It's not that though I don't think. It's fully in, it's just clicking/slipping. It feels like something is chipped because it's a cyclical click. like on a rotation. I have to feather it a ton if I want to reverse.

When it first started was when I started my car in reverse and it bucked really hard and made sort of a crunching sound. I've been driving it for 4 days now and it's still doing the same thing in reverse.

Ohh, I got the impression it was just harder than most manuals you have to engage.

Yeah, take it to the dealership. If a bit has come off (a tooth, say) and finds it's way into another gear...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Turbo Car posted:

Ohh, I got the impression it was just harder than most manuals you have to engage.

Yeah, take it to the dealership. If a bit has come off (a tooth, say) and finds it's way into another gear...

:/

so... say it's just reverse that's fubar'd can somebody give me a general rundown of how the reverse gear works? What is a ballpark estimate on parts and labor for something like this.

edit: I dropped by the dealership on the way home and a service guy hopped in and listened to it. He says he's pretty sure it's the transmission mount and there should be a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. I'm going to drop it off at the shop in the morning, here's hoping it's covered by warranty and I dodged a bullet. The car is a 2005 with 39,800 miles.

Anyone have any idea of how much a transmission mount is to fix if it isn't under warranty?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 26, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I just calculated it out, and with interest over four years, I would pay $21,502 for my 2009 WRX. If I get the STi on the lot for $30,500 (maybe less if I can get them to dealer trade for one without BBS), and assuming I qualify for 0% (which I should), it would cost me $24,058. $2,500 to upgrade from a WRX to an STi. I never thought to factor in the interest. At the end of four years, the STi would probably still get about $20,000 private party (if depreciation is consistent). So, really, the STi is very doable.

I think I will be stopping by Village Subaru this weekend.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Mr. Powers posted:

So, I just calculated it out, and with interest over four years, I would pay $21,502 for my 2009 WRX. If I get the STi on the lot for $30,500 (maybe less if I can get them to dealer trade for one without BBS), and assuming I qualify for 0% (which I should), it would cost me $24,058. $2,500 to upgrade from a WRX to an STi. I never thought to factor in the interest. At the end of four years, the STi would probably still get about $20,000 private party (if depreciation is consistent). So, really, the STi is very doable.

You know what needs to be done. :keke:

(and keep us updated!)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

:/

so... say it's just reverse that's fubar'd can somebody give me a general rundown of how the reverse gear works? What is a ballpark estimate on parts and labor for something like this.

edit: I dropped by the dealership on the way home and a service guy hopped in and listened to it. He says he's pretty sure it's the transmission mount and there should be a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. I'm going to drop it off at the shop in the morning, here's hoping it's covered by warranty and I dodged a bullet. The car is a 2005 with 39,800 miles.

Anyone have any idea of how much a transmission mount is to fix if it isn't under warranty?

Isn't powertrain coverage until 60k miles anways??

Mr. Powers posted:

Dooo eeeet

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Isn't powertrain coverage until 60k miles anways??

no idea what the coverage is, this is the first time I've owned a newer car and I don't know what the Saab warranty is... I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I take it in.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I already emailed them to see if I can put the deposit towards another car on the lot. Next step if that is go, is to see if they'd be able to dealer trade for one of the few remaining white and golds left in the area. If not, I'd probably pick another color for them to dealer trade for. Advantage for any color other than white and blue is that I can get one without the BBS package, because silver wheels are silver wheels, and I'm not particularly attached to the BBS, I just want the gold when available.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
Any recommendations for an all season tire for an 04MY WRX? I have a set of Pilot Sport A/S on there right now and theyre great in the dry, but they seem horrible bad in the wet. Last night they lost all traction on a moderate stop and I slid halfway out into an intersection (with almost sliding into an intersection twice before.) I dont need the best per se, but something that I wont kill me.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

MMD3 posted:

A performance Group N mount is $75 and they'll probably bill you for 2 hours of labor to put it in. $280 I would say. It would take me 15 minutes with air tools to throw it in. It's extremely simple. You could do it in an afternoon, easy.

Here's a brief rundown of how reverse works:
Reverse has an extra gear in it to change the direction of the rotation (so you go backwards instead of normal). It's straight cut so the gears can mesh at either end of that middle gear, making it a bit harder to go engage....that's about it. Like a normal gearset, but its got another in the middle to change the way the final gear spins.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So after waiting for 2 months, my Racecomp Tarmac 1's have finally arrived for my LGT. The shop is trying to sell me on a set of Whiteline sway bars to go with them - anyone have any experience with these? I know Whiteline's a good brand, but wondering if it's worth the comparative performance increase.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TeamIce posted:

So after waiting for 2 months, my Racecomp Tarmac 1's have finally arrived for my LGT. The shop is trying to sell me on a set of Whiteline sway bars to go with them - anyone have any experience with these? I know Whiteline's a good brand, but wondering if it's worth the comparative performance increase.

The one thing I like about Whitelines from what little research I've done is that they have a quick disconnect system similar to a bike wheel for the rear strut tower bar.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

TeamIce posted:

yep, get them. Whiteline makes the best swaybars for Subarus. The Tarmac 1s will seriously cut back on body roll and have good dampers but with the crap camber curve subarus have you need stupidly stiff spring rates to keep the tire in it's ideal position. That ruins the ride and actually is bad for the handling so a bit more swaybar to keep the car flat goes a long way.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 26, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Powers posted:

I already emailed them to see if I can put the deposit towards another car on the lot. Next step if that is go, is to see if they'd be able to dealer trade for one of the few remaining white and golds left in the area. If not, I'd probably pick another color for them to dealer trade for. Advantage for any color other than white and blue is that I can get one without the BBS package, because silver wheels are silver wheels, and I'm not particularly attached to the BBS, I just want the gold when available.

So, the $1000 is transferable to an STi purchase. They might be able to do a dealer trade for me, but he wasn't sure about the price ($30,500). It's really just contingent on the price and 0% financing at this point. I might come home from this weekend with an STi.

Argon
Mar 16, 2001
The REAL Invisible Man
Anyone have strange noises on the freeway? I have a 2007 WRX which was making a strange harmonic hum or honk type of sound while I was driving cross country.

A few months ago I was driving from Utah to Seattle with a friend and driving though Idaho we starting hearing this weird, LOUD sound occasionally. We were driving into a very stiff headwind, at about 85 or so.

To give you an idea of the wind speed, check out this construction sign. This sign was mounted on a spring that, if there was no wind, would hold it straight up. As you can see, its got a bit of a lean to it from the wind.

Click here for the full 1125x844 image.

I finally got off my lazy rear end and uploaded the vid I took to youtube, check it out and tell me that my car isnt going to fall apart because I'm driving at its harmonic frequency when I hit a strong wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPGbJQAVJU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
So two weeks ago I put my Impreza gently into a ditch at 30km/h. I was driving on an icy road with the bargain basement all-seasons (since replaced with winters) that the dealership put on when I bought it and encountered a sheet of ice slippery enough that no braking, turning or even acceleration could turn the car from its doomed course.

The Impreza landed in the ditch in a funny way, back wheels right in the air with the weight of the car resting on the front right corner. It netted me a broken fog light and a dented fender. Everything just snapped back together like lego after the crash which was awesome.

These past two weeks I've been hearing a mighty howling from the front right wheel, which was getting progressively worse. Wheel bearing. Since it requires a hydraulic press I had my local mechanic take care of it.

I picked it up today and out of curiosity asked if I could see the old bearing. Mechanic said that it fell apart into three pieces when they took it out. The bearing looked awesomely hosed. The rest of the suspension checked out fine and got a nice alignment after the new bearing. Amazingly tough cars these are.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

8ender posted:

I picked it up today and out of curiosity asked if I could see the old bearing. Mechanic said that it fell apart into three pieces when they took it out. The bearing looked awesomely hosed. The rest of the suspension checked out fine and got a nice alignment after the new bearing. Amazingly tough cars these are.

If you don't get a turbo model, it's just about impossible to get it to stop running. Love 'em, rally 'em.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

After encouraging Mr. Powers to look at an STI I admittedly did the same myself.

I went to The_Slaughters dealership here in WA and test drove an 08 DGM sti. Initially asking was 29.8 with it having the short shifter, shift knob, all weather mats, the homelink mirror, and ipod interface.

Only prob is that the trade in offer for my 06 LGT 15.5, which while probably a little movable didn't seem movable enough relative to the sti price, so I don't know if I can bring myself to make the change. The sti is definitely awesome though.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 27, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Took my car in to the dealer today, apparently the problem is something in the transmission. The coverage is 4 years, 50,000 miles so I won't have to pay anything but they're waiting to hear if Saab is just going to send out a new transmission or if they're going to have to take it apart to see what elements of it are actually damaged. My fingers are crossed for just getting a new transmission I think. It's really nice to have a more premium dealership and warranty coverage though, They've been shuttling me to work and back in a Caddy CTS. I'm just thankful I got the car after depreciation so it's like having my cake and eating it too.

I'm going to be really curious to hear what the problem was, I'm a little troubled that something so trivial could have blown up the transmission. I hope I don't have to worry about something like this after it's not under warranty.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 27, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mat_Drinks posted:

After encouraging Mr. Powers to look at an STI I admittedly did the same myself.

I went to The_Slaughters dealership here in WA and test drove an 08 DGM sti. Initially asking was 29.8 with it having the short shifter, shift knob, all weather mats, the homelink mirror, and ipod interface.

Only prob is that the trade in offer for my 06 LGT 15.5, which while probably a little movable didn't seem movable enough relative to the sti price, so I don't know if I can bring myself to make the change. The sti is definitely awesome though.

I think his dealership likes to play hardball on the trade-ins. I talked to him a lot about various things before I went in for the 09 WRX order, and he was saying that his dealership would give me something like $4000 trade on my '01 RS, and if I were dealing with him and wanted more for it, they'd just find somewhere else to make up for it. When I went to Village they offered $5900 for it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Anyone have an 09 Forester XT? I'm seriously considering one and would like to hear some opinions. Motor Trend liked it apparently and didn't mind the four-speed transmission.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Argon posted:

Anyone have strange noises on the freeway? I have a 2007 WRX which was making a strange harmonic hum or honk type of sound while I was driving cross country.

A few months ago I was driving from Utah to Seattle with a friend and driving though Idaho we starting hearing this weird, LOUD sound occasionally. We were driving into a very stiff headwind, at about 85 or so.

To give you an idea of the wind speed, check out this construction sign. This sign was mounted on a spring that, if there was no wind, would hold it straight up. As you can see, its got a bit of a lean to it from the wind.

Click here for the full 1125x844 image.

I finally got off my lazy rear end and uploaded the vid I took to youtube, check it out and tell me that my car isnt going to fall apart because I'm driving at its harmonic frequency when I hit a strong wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPGbJQAVJU

My Forester XT does the same thing. 80+ MPH and a stiff headwind like you described will cause it to make one hell of a noise. I figure it has something to do with the hood scoop, but not too sure. No parts have flown off.

Whats worse is that my mileage drops below 20 MPG in the above scenario. :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone have an 09 Forester XT? I'm seriously considering one and would like to hear some opinions. Motor Trend liked it apparently and didn't mind the four-speed transmission.
My buddy has an auto non-turbo 09, and he loves it. And I love the huuuuge-rear end sunroof. Having ridden in it several times, it's very smooth, and has plenty of get-up. Subaru definitely do a fine job of giving their non-turbo cars some oomph.

I haven't driven it, so I can't speak to how the transmission feels, per se, but riding in it is plenty fine.

loving deals. Stupid STi's. I love my Legacy dammit, stop making me question my faith!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fantastipotamus posted:

My buddy has an auto non-turbo 09, and he loves it. And I love the huuuuge-rear end sunroof. Having ridden in it several times, it's very smooth, and has plenty of get-up. Subaru definitely do a fine job of giving their non-turbo cars some oomph.

I haven't driven it, so I can't speak to how the transmission feels, per se, but riding in it is plenty fine.

loving deals. Stupid STi's. I love my Legacy dammit, stop making me question my faith!
I know, I was running some numbers in my head to see if I could get an STi but I decided against it. I like my current car too much.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

I think his dealership likes to play hardball on the trade-ins. I talked to him a lot about various things before I went in for the 09 WRX order, and he was saying that his dealership would give me something like $4000 trade on my '01 RS, and if I were dealing with him and wanted more for it, they'd just find somewhere else to make up for it. When I went to Village they offered $5900 for it.

That makes sense. I also wasn't dealing directly with Slaughter or his normal manager, it was a co salesperson and some non normal manager. I almost felt like the salesperson was giving me queues that the lack of more dealing was from him than a lack of desire on her part.

He even asked her to do the whole "write an offer on a piece of paper and sign it" thing that I find very amusing. It doesn't get more legally binding than a one sentence hand written contract :D

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hello, I'm a GC coupe.

I'll be putting the wing back on it eventually; the in-dash CB radio was a cool experiment, but I miss the wing. I'm still too poor to stick a proper turbocharged engine inside it, though. :smith:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Turbo Car posted:

If you don't get a turbo model, it's just about impossible to get it to stop running. Love 'em, rally 'em.

Picture below. Honestly its still amazing looking at that picture that I slid head first into three foot deep ditch and only got a busted fog light, bent fender and a crushed wheel bearing. The car hit hard enough that the entire fog light assembly, grille, and that gap below the radiator was packed solid with mud.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TeamIce posted:

I have these coils. They are amazing. However, I'd note that the "default" height they recommend is a bit low after the shocks settle.
You do need some sort of sway bars. I have the cobbs, largely because I got a package deal from racecomp. Make sure you get the re-enforced brackets, or you will break them (AVO makes some).

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
Well you've gone and done it now. After hearing about the STi deal that was going on, and looking around online for dealers with them in stock, I'm now the proud owner of a Lightning Red 2008 STi with 48 miles on it (dealer was about 40 miles away and I took a 2 mile or so test drive). I got the $7k and 0% financing with no problems at all though they did heavily lowball me heavily on my trade in so I'm just going to sell it myself. It's going to be hard to follow the break in procedures, but it'll give me time to figure out what all of the nifty knobs and buttons do. Can't wait to take it to autox when I'm done.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Lazor posted:

Well you've gone and done it now. After hearing about the STi deal that was going on, and looking around online for dealers with them in stock, I'm now the proud owner of a Lightning Red 2008 STi with 48 miles on it (dealer was about 40 miles away and I took a 2 mile or so test drive). I got the $7k and 0% financing with no problems at all though they did heavily lowball me heavily on my trade in so I'm just going to sell it myself. It's going to be hard to follow the break in procedures, but it'll give me time to figure out what all of the nifty knobs and buttons do. Can't wait to take it to autox when I'm done.

Congrats! And don't worry, you're not the only one :):hf::)

I'll be posting pics of mine and the story later after I've gone and picked it up.

palatka
Apr 4, 2003

by Ralp
What are the differences between the Forrester 2.5X and an Outback 2.5i? They seem to have a lot of the same features including the same engine but the outback costs $2-3k more.

Vezbot
Jan 2, 2005

PFC Nole, our officer in the hole

Fantastipotamus posted:

I also have a non turbo 09'. I didn't care for the auto transmission and ordered a manual sight unseen (I'd had a 97' Subaru manual). Nice, smooth clutch action nowadays.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

palatka posted:

What are the differences between the Forrester 2.5X and an Outback 2.5i? They seem to have a lot of the same features including the same engine but the outback costs $2-3k more.

The Forester (one 'R') is a different car than the Outback. The Forester is Impreza based and smaller. The Outback is based on a Legacy and larger. The size difference is probably not as great with the '09 Forester. I don't really know about the different trim levels.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 30, 2008

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I've always loved subarus, I've recently come across a couple of 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS's for sale. One has an engine swap with an O3 WRX and the other claims to be stock but wants 4000 over bluebook and is pretty firm. Are these cars really that overpriced? they seemed fantastic when I was looking to drop a good 5000+ another 3 for a turbo kit to make it a bit of a screamer but I'm also unsure of their mechanical reliability.

Anyone have any insights they can share about Impreza 2.5 Rs's?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

"[ELP posted:

"]
I've always loved subarus, I've recently come across a couple of 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS's for sale. One has an engine swap with an O3 WRX and the other claims to be stock but wants 4000 over bluebook and is pretty firm. Are these cars really that overpriced? they seemed fantastic when I was looking to drop a good 5000+ another 3 for a turbo kit to make it a bit of a screamer but I'm also unsure of their mechanical reliability.

Anyone have any insights they can share about Impreza 2.5 Rs's?

I have off and on shopped for a project impreza for a while... It seems like a lot of people think they can mark the price wayyyy up because the car is "rare". I'd ignore those unless there is something that really makes it above and beyond special. rs25.com is a good place to watch and you should be able to find a good specimen there.

As for the WRX swap, the main thing I'd want to know was done well is the wiring harness. I know a lot of people that do the swap have theirs sent out.

From what I've heard the reason more people do the wrx swap rather than turbo the stock engine is because the cost v. reliability tends to favor the swap.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
does anybody have a battery recommendation or should I just buy whatever they have at Costco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

CharlesM posted:

The Forester (one 'R') is a different car than the Outback. The Forester is Impreza based and smaller. The Outback is based on a Legacy and larger. The size difference is probably not as great with the '09 Forester. I don't really know about the different trim levels.
I believe that starting in '09, the Forester is based on the Legacy platform, as I think pretty much everything else is as well. I think the old, shorter Impreza platform has been put out to pasture.

The rest out what you said is correct there though, you're looking at two different cars there. The Forester is a smallish SUV, and the Outback is a wagon with a lot of ground height. The Outback is a little more expensive because, for the most part, the interior is 'nicer'. The Outback has the gauges, stereo and HVAC controls from the Legacy, and the Forester shares with the Impreza.

Ultimately this means you have to really work to upgrade the stereo in the Legacy/Outback, as it's all a shared unit with the HVAC, and thusly costs a small fortune to replace.

My fiancée just picks up a 5sp '08 Outback wagon on Friday, and she is thrilled with it.

Edit:

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 30, 2008