Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

almostfearless
Aug 1, 2003

Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown
Any pointers on Heroes of Might and Magic 3? I remember the game getting a LOT of acclaim back in the day, but I never got around to picking it up until recently. I have basically zero experience in strategy games outside of the Civilization series so the game is just kind of sitting around at the moment. Any starting advice would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
More tips on Unlimited Saga since I've been really getting into the game lately...

· First off, the reason this game isn't popular is because in order to play it "right," you're going to have to learn the battle mechanics. After you play it for the very first time, give the manual a bit of a once-over. Most of the mechanics are simpler than they look; you just have to know what it is they're trying to tell you first. (Also, this guide can be a big help too.)
Especially make sure you understand the GUI. The menus are extremely inefficient (and the only part I still dislike about the game even now), but once you get the hang of it all it's a bit easier.
· As with Chrono Cross, you get your advancements after completing each area. Unlike Chrono Cross, you don't get piddly stat increases after each battle. This means that there's virtually no point in grinding, so don't bother.
· Your hexagonal Growth Panel is the mechanism for advancement in this game. Actually understanding the advancement is a bit of a tall order, so just understand this... After each mission, you'll get a new Growth Panel insert. Make sure to watch what you're inserting, what you're replacing, and how the stats change as a result. Even if you go on a lot of missions, there's still a lot of time between each advancement, so every little choice you make in their advancement counts.
· As with other SaGa games, your items break after a certain number of uses, and you have to go to a blacksmith in town between missions to repair them, so don't go nuts with them right off the bat. In fact, getting some punch/kick/throw skills on your characters can save you a lot of heartache for this reason.
· The following skills will get you out of more jams than you can count, so get them as soon as you can. Each of these is only necessary to put on one character. Remember, you equip them by placing them on the hexagonal Growth Panel after each mission.
Defuse: Allows you to defuse traps, both on the map and in treasure chests. Almost every treasure chest is trapped, so you're going to need this and need it soon.
Locksmith: Allows you to unlock doors and chests. A drat large number of chests are locked as well, so look into it. This won't do dick about magic locks, but those are so rare it won't matter.
Quick-Fix: Repairs items on the field, so you can keep using them and stop worrying about "using them up."
Eavesdrop: Gives you an approximate idea of where monsters are on the map relative to you. Not technically necessary as such, just because the monsters move just like you do, but if you're in a bad way and just trying to find your way back to the entrance this can save your rear end.
Diplomacy: Talks stock enemies out of attacking you. Very useful on missions where you're "on the ropes." As with Quick-Fix, though, it's slot-based probability, so don't expect it to cure all of your problems.
Swimming: Let's just say you'll be glad you have it when you need it.
Monger: Haggles with shops. It's not of life-shattering importance because you'll end up having enough money to cover expenses in the late game anyway, but it has a 100% success rate and any money saved can come in handy later.
· The best starting scenario, as the game recommends, is Laura's. You'll get a lot of those skills I mentioned with her very soon, and since Laura herself is strong and powerful with magic, you have a lot of breathing room.
· Get Magic Tablets on every mage character you have; they need them and need them bad. That's the only way mages learn new spells, and even then they have to have equipment with "[element] Arts" on it. Never, ever overwrite a Magic Tablet on the Growth Panel until you've mastered it.
· The slots only come up in situations that would have a probability in other RPGs anyway. It's just glorified D&D dice rolling; the only difference is that it shows you that it's doing it and you get to time the button press to increase the probability.

But most importantly, be patient with the game and take time to learn its mechanics. If you can see past the extremely counter-intuitive menus the rest of the game can get very fun and rewarding.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bourbon posted:

How about some tips for Galactic Civilizations II? I've never been able to get into the 4X genre (granted I haven't tried very hard, some Civ2 and Alpha Centauri) but I heard this game might be a good place to start.

The game is really complex and there are hundreds of tips one could give about it but I will concentrate in the early game and its economy (which I think is the most important factor in determining your mid-game strength). Obviously, pick a "regular" computer difficulty at the start or you will lose... badly.

First of all, go into the screen that shows how much you spend in military/construction/research stuff and change the total output slider (I forgot its name) from 70% (or whatever it is) to 100%. What this does is that it will make your factories/research institutes work as hard as they can. You will spend more money but it is really important to work at 100% at the start.

During the first turns it is incredibly important to grab plenty of planets, rush-buy (its really expensive) two colony ships and try to get nice planets (with a quality of 8 or more) that are close to your home systems. If your race can colonize certain hostile planets and the computer can't and you see one of those planets, don't grab it at the start, you can wait a bit.

Use your explorer ship to explore anomalies and try to get as many as possible (if you happen to get plenty of money this way you could rush-buy another explorer, it is generally worth it if there are plenty of anomalies).

Do not use your first colonizers to grab the local, low-level planet in your home system that most races start with, you can grab it later. You can even let the computer grab it since it is under the huge cultural influence of your homeplanet and it will switch to your side sooner or later. Hey! free planet with some population and factories already built.

Also at the start, concentrate in keeping the moral in your new colony planets at 100% (by reducing taxes), it will make everybody start breeding like crazy but will make you Hemorrhage money. The exponential growth of the population and thus future tax revenue is worth it. Try to keep it going 100% as long as your money will allow. After that you can drop moral to 70% (green) or even less (yellow).

BTW, do not, I repeat, do not, keep more than 9-12 billion people in a planet (that is don't build too many farms). After 12 billion their morale goes to poo poo, and it is really difficult/expensive to keep them happy.

I don't know if they patched yet, but if you are in a democratic government you are not supposed to tax the hell out of your citizens or they wont vote for you. Well, they are idiots, if you keep them happy during the week before the elections they will vote for you no matter what. So, reduce taxes before elections, it works in videogames too!

So, basically, at the start try to grab plenty of quality planets (the perk that gives you extra movement is a great but costly way to improve your chances), keep them happy and try not to lose too much money (as you will when populations are low and you have many planets).

That is basically it for the early game. The next phase of the game starts when the computer starts to build their attack fleets, as soon as you see them doing so (check the graphs) you have to start you own fleet or they will bully you. Hopefully, your superior economy should allow you to keep up.

BTW, a good tip to *appear* more powerful is to make ships with cargo hulls (huge capacity, crap hitpoints) filled with weapons. The computer will see all your weapons and think that your paper-armor fleet is stronger than what it really is (cheap crappy North Korea style show-offs).

The humans are (as usual) a good race to start. They have balanced stats and their super-diplomat ability means that you can keep most hostile races at least semi-friendly for longer or trade for technologies/stuff at advantageous terms.

After you play a few games I could give you some more tips. Most of them require that you have some knowledge of the game as its somewhat weird mechanics.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Since I've been playing DeadSpace pretty much non-stop for the last 48 hours:

1) Most of the time the only ammo drops will be for guns you have equipped. So if you have a Plasma Cutter and Line gun, you'll get ammo for each. If you have four weapons but only use two, you're going to pick up alot of 'useless' ammo.

2) Regardless of appearances, there is no real time limit to any part of the game - don't stress so hard.

3) Ensure that you upgrade your primary weapon and suit before secondary weapon/ stasis/ kinesis.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Looking at picking up Valkyrie Chronicles after reading some great reviews. Anyone have any tips thus far?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lockback posted:

Looking at picking up Valkyrie Chronicles after reading some great reviews. Anyone have any tips thus far?

Scouts are your best friend, they can cross huge sections of the battlefield but they are terribly weak at defense.

Don't fully load up the battlefield with units from the get go. A good plan is to have a few scouts and some shocktroopers to start with and then capture a enemy camp so you can deploy your real force. If you do it the other way, you are going to be wasting CP on units that take forever to keep up.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
Amazon's giving away Warhammer Online for ten bucks. How do I get a foothold in that game?

Selane
May 19, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Scouts are your best friend, they can cross huge sections of the battlefield but they are terribly weak at defense.

Don't fully load up the battlefield with units from the get go. A good plan is to have a few scouts and some shocktroopers to start with and then capture a enemy camp so you can deploy your real force. If you do it the other way, you are going to be wasting CP on units that take forever to keep up.

Also, don't assume that Orders are a waste of CP, they're actually extremely powerful.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Tell me something about Super Mario Sunshine.

I despise these levels that require me to do the jumping puzzles without my waterpack. It's awful. I have 20 Shines, just opened up Noki Bay. Do I have to do a lot of these puzzles to beat the game? I don't have any sense of what I'm supposed to be doing, or even how many Shines there are in the game.

If the game deteriorates into doing these jumping puzzles in order to win, tell me now so I won't waste my time.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry

Internet Cliche posted:

Tell me something about Super Mario Sunshine.

I despise these levels that require me to do the jumping puzzles without my waterpack. It's awful. I have 20 Shines, just opened up Noki Bay. Do I have to do a lot of these puzzles to beat the game? I don't have any sense of what I'm supposed to be doing, or even how many Shines there are in the game.

If the game deteriorates into doing these jumping puzzles in order to win, tell me now so I won't waste my time.

Nah, those levels are actually few and far between. Get ready for some spergers to tell you that you're insane for not liking those particular levels, because a lot of people consider them the best part of that game.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Outstanding. I'm sure I could like them, Mario just feels like he handles very loosely in this game, and I've also gotten spoiled on the waterpack. If he handled better, I could get used to it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any tips on Call of Duty 2 and 4 for a first time player of the series. I tried CoD4 a while back, but made the mistake of going straight to Veteran, which was a big mistake.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

Agrias120 posted:

I recently picked up a NOMAD, which is a blessing for the flights between my university and back home. I decided to christen it with Shadowrun (for the Genesis, obviously), but within twenty minutes I was fed up and frustrated. It seems like every random person on the street would attack me, and retaliating left me with too little ammo, or excessive damage. I definitely need some tips for what to keep in mind when I try this out on my flight home for Thanksgiving.

I will never stop having a boner for this game, and your post is probably going to make me dig out my Genesis.

Few tips no one else covered:

The Predator heavy pistol available in the first gun shop will be the best gun you get until you can afford a super ballin' SMG.

When you get your character going pretty well, go dick around the Salish-Shidhe until you find a hut in the middle of nowhere, this will get you on a quest to save a guy that survived your brother's botched run, who happens to be a huge badass and will work for you for free.

Find and join the Ork gang in Puyallup Barrens when you can, it costs ~2000 nuyen, but it makes all cab rides free, and you'll be taking tons of cab rides throughout the game.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BoBtheImpaler posted:

I will never stop having a boner for this game, and your post is probably going to make me dig out my Genesis.

Few tips no one else covered:

The Predator heavy pistol available in the first gun shop will be the best gun you get until you can afford a super ballin' SMG.

When you get your character going pretty well, go dick around the Salish-Shidhe until you find a hut in the middle of nowhere, this will get you on a quest to save a guy that survived your brother's botched run, who happens to be a huge badass and will work for you for free.

Find and join the Ork gang in Puyallup Barrens when you can, it costs ~2000 nuyen, but it makes all cab rides free, and you'll be taking tons of cab rides throughout the game.

SMGs stink, they spray too many bullets and don't do much damage. The Predator pistol is actually the best gun in the game (well if you like the Alliance shotgun you can use that but it's ammo is really limited and it can't be silenced). Honestly your best bet is to hire the troll samurai and ork mage and give them both hand spurs and let them melee everyone to death in one hit.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I'm going to get back to playing Civilization IV - with the addition of the Beyond the Sword expansion. What's the skinny on necessary or recommendable MOD's/plug-ins and other unofficial mandatory enhancements?

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt

Zuffox posted:

I'm going to get back to playing Civilization IV - with the addition of the Beyond the Sword expansion. What's the skinny on necessary or recommendable MOD's/plug-ins and other unofficial mandatory enhancements?

Just get the latest patch and you should be fine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

Any tips on Call of Duty 2 and 4 for a first time player of the series. I tried CoD4 a while back, but made the mistake of going straight to Veteran, which was a big mistake.

Call of Duty 2 expects you to use smoke grenades to get past enemy emplacements. So if you find that you're getting shot up by a machine gun nest pop some smoke to block their view.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Homeworld:

Be aware that you can hang around after missions, or delay starting parts of missions. Use this to gather everything you can. Mission 5 is of note(Where you take vengeance)-If you can kill the enemy harvesters, there's something like 10,000-15,000 Resources out there. Not counting stealing, which is also advised-the enemy has a Carrier, and Carriers are stealable with 5 or more Salvagers. You won't get to build one till about 5 missions later.

Homeworld 2

Sajuuk has a functional Combat Hyperjump at no cost(I believe the hotkey is Y-Otherwise, check the HUD). Use this to get to the Unknown Vessels.

The game has dynamic difficulty-the more you start with at mission start, the more the enemy will bring to bear. So it's a toss-up. I believe the issue pre-patch was it came on too strong with it's scaling.

Dynasty Warriors

Play on harder difficulties. The quality of items you get(And in 4, the weapon EXP you get) is affected by your difficulty setting. Higher=better.

(Applies to 5)Story Mode difficulty is scaled based on where you are in the story. It can sometimes be easier to gain a difficult to get item or weapon in a campaign than in Free Mode.

(Applies to 5) Combo the base guardians for Attack and Defence to increase the strength of the defence/offence boost item they drop.

Understand that for all the killing and events and whatnot, everything is based around Morale. When on-screen, enemy and ally aggression, attack power and defence power are all based around their morale score. When they're off-screen, Morale decides who wins and who loses. Higher morale ALWAYS wins-the difference decides how long it takes. Thus, high morale has a steamroller effect-once you get it, everyone else fights better, which nets them more kills, which increases morale further.

(Applies to 4)The Wei campaign has him forced to assault Lu Bu. Do NOT kill Diao Chan-it will send him berserk, maxing out his morale and making him near-impossible to defeat.

Ally forces cannot kill an enemy Commander whilst off-screen. You'll HAVE to finish them youself.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bloodly posted:

Homeworld:

Be aware that you can hang around after missions, or delay starting parts of missions. Use this to gather everything you can. Mission 5 is of note(Where you take vengeance)-If you can kill the enemy harvesters, there's something like 10,000-15,000 Resources out there. Not counting stealing, which is also advised-the enemy has a Carrier, and Carriers are stealable with 5 or more Salvagers. You won't get to build one till about 5 missions later.

If you are destroying anything that you don't have to (ie for the plot), then you are playing this game wrong. All salvagers, all the time. With maybe some heavy ships to soak damage. Maybe.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
To which I say: Hell no. Not if you're starting out(Note the title-before I play FOR THE FIRST TIME). Why? Because doing it, even with experience, is often far more trouble than it's actually WORTH, even if you retire the things for money immediately.

There are only a few cases where it's honestly worth it 100%; Multi-Beam frigates, the Missile Corvettes(and getting them in a reasonable timeframe requires mechanics abuse with fake Kamikaze runs for speed due to their massive fuel tanks. However, you don't get Missile tech of your own for AGES, and Missiles are DEATH to fighters without any question. They're decent on higher ships too), the Ion Array Frigates MAYBE(They're stronger attack, but weaker defence and I think a little slower to start firing. Up to you.) and the first carrier. Otherwise, don't worry too much. 'Salvage it all' is detrimental to playing the damm game. It's like playing Final Fanstasy Tactics with a Single-Class Challenge from the get-go; ill-advised at best.

I'm not saying 'Don't salvage anything'; do it if you can or want. But don't go overboard about it. Look at what's in the mission and judge for yourself. You don't NEED such a force to beat the game, nor does it especially make it EASIER, as there's scaling HERE as well as in 2.

That reminds me-Scouts are far, FAR better than Interceptors. The Speed Boost special ability increases their ability far more than you'd expect, especially when you keep the next one in mind.

Fighters make repeated 'runs' to attack and destroy a larger target. Switching to Evasive when a run completes gets them to come about and attack again faster. That's when you switch to Offensive and get them focusing full fire again. For best results, hit Speed Boost in the Evasive phase, to have them set up even faster. Watch the fuel though...

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Is there anything that I should know before I dive into FF X?

The sphere grid sure looks intimidating.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

yook posted:

I really liked Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, so this weekend I ordered the two sequels, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones, planning on vegitating with one Thursday after a rough few weeks. I'm not really in the mood for angst, so I was thinking of just playing Warrior Within with some music playing over it unless I can play them out of order without missing too much or something. How do I go for maximum fun with this thing before I have to start working again Friday in time for Halloween :smithicide:?

As far as Warrrior Within goes, make drat sure you fund every single health-increasing fountian in the game. Towards the end you'll get the best sword and be able to kill an alternate boss for the true ending.

Follow a spoiler-free guide to find them if you have too.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Old Swerdlow posted:

Is there anything that I should know before I dive into FF X?

The sphere grid sure looks intimidating.

On the basic sphere grid most characters have a fairly set path along the sphere grid for the first half of the game at least. Kimarhi is the only real expception to this but he's pretty poo poo anyway.
If you reach a point where you run out of a type of sphere, don't have your characters just skip past the nodes without activating them, you lost nothing by just sitting there and stocking sphere levels until you actually get some of the right kind of sphere, which shouldn't take too long.
Basically the less you have to backtrack along the sphere grid the better, and remember that you can activate sphere nodes next to the one you're on, you don't have to be on top of the node.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (The game is getting pretty old at this point, but its much more complex than it seems at first. It's one of my favorites, and much better than Seven Sorrows, I recommend it to anyone with a friend or three and a few dozen hours to kill)

- Don't just use ranged attacks, by getting in close to enemies and alternating between the quick and slow attacks you can perform combos that will clear large numbers of enemies.
- Use the D-Pad to activate any magic items you've picked up (only in the Xbox and Game Cube versions I believe)
- Using your turbo attacks can clear out large numbers of enemies, however when playing with multiple people they recharge fast enough to kill just about every large group of enemies, you may want to forbid using them on lesser enemies.
-You can use a potion in three ways, tap the magic button to have it burst around you, hold to throw the potion like a grenade, and double tap to use it as a shield
-You need more Golden Fangs/Feathers/Claws than you can get from one run through each level, be sure to remember which levels have more than one.
-The only way to replenish your health is with food, either by finding it or buying it between areas. Meat gives you more health per gold than cherries and don't ever expect to be at full health.
-Watch what comes out of a chest when you open it, you may need to run from a trap or leave food for a player with low HP.
-A cutscene before an area that is not introducing a new type of enemy is showing you the location of a legendary item. Each legendary item, once attained, will work once on a specific boss making that fight much easier.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
If you want a challenge playing through Homeworld, don't salvage anything.

Alternatively and perhaps much more entertaining: salvage everything.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Requesting more tips for Fallout 3, which I'm just starting.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Contingency Plan posted:

Do yourself a favour and play through it your own way. Playing and finishing the game is very satisfying when you don't constantly worry about screwing up your game. It's very difficult to do unless you deliberately go out of your way to do it. Just roll with the punches and worry about the fine details on your second playthrough.

That said, Repair is probably the most invaluble skill in the game. It will be useful no matter what other paths you take.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ddraig posted:

That said, Repair is probably the most invaluble skill in the game. It will be useful no matter what other paths you take.

I'm really excited that repair is such a big deal. I would have tagged it if I had know that it'd actually be used so often.

I'd recommend that you experiment a little with combat, you're equally effective with all types of weaponry in the beginning because you suck at everything. You might just find that you LOVE hitting things with baseball bats or that pistols are more fun than you thought.

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

Contingency Plan posted:

Grab the bobblehead off your father's desk on your way out?

Honestly, the best way to play this is to make it up as you go along.

However I will tell you tagging a skill at the start of the game doesn't make a huge amount of difference, just adds fifteen skill points straight off the bat. After a few levels pumping skill points you can make any skill effective. Just not every. Figure out what skills you're relying on and get them up as early as you can.

Bear in mind that most puzzles that can be solved with Science and Lockpicking can be solved by both (i.e. many of the safes can be remotely opened by computer). Since these skills let you do more complex hacking / lockpicking at the 25, 50, 75, and 100 points, it's probably best to level one up and then the other.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pick up as much as you can possibly carry from Vault 101. All the security armor, all the police batons, all the helmets, all the beer and bonesaws and random poo poo, everything. What you don't use to repair stuff with later you can sell for a tidy sum to help make the beginning of the game easier.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fallout 3: If you are planning on being good/neutral, do the "disarm the bomb" quest in Megaton as soon as you have high enough repair (I think its something fairly low like 25). It gets you a house where you can stash gear you arent using, but dont want to sell, in the cupboards, and a bed where you can rest.

There are characters in various places that buy specific items for more than their value. So stash any Sugar Bombs, Pre-war books (NOT "Burned book" or anything like that, books that have the title "Pre-war book"), brotherhood of steel holotags, Nuka-cola quantum and scrap metal in your house, then when you find the related characters you can fast travel back and forth making a decent amount of money. I messed up a little by drinking a ton of nuka-cola quantum before finding the woman who buys it, and now I'm scraping around looking for another 7 bottles...

There is a level cap at 20 which I hit at about halfway through the story quest because I was wandering about looking a stuff and doing sidequests. I would prioritise lock-picking and hacking because if they arent high enough when you hit level 20, there will be some doors and computers you will never be able to access.

I dont normally use guides for games, but you might consider looking up the locations of the bobbleheads, each one either gives you +10 points in a skill or +1 point to an attribute.

There is a perk that gives you +10% experience that you can take twice. I wouldnt bother unless you are going for a second playthrough just to get the "Hit level 6/12/20 as good/neutral/evil" type achievements. There is plenty in the game to level you up reasonably fast without this perk.

It is definately a good idea to take the "animal friend" (animals dont attack you unprevoked) perk BEFORE exploring the yu ghui caves. The second level of the perk is largely pointless. It means wild animals attack your enemies, but personally by the time I took it I was one-hitting raiders anyway, and the supermutants had scaled so that molerats and dogs werent exactly a problem for them. It is still quite funny, but not useful.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Fallout 3: If you are planning on being good/neutral, do the "disarm the bomb" quest in Megaton as soon as you have high enough repair (I think its something fairly low like 25).

It's Explosives 25, but you don't even need that, you can pop some mentats you can steal from the Overseer's office, and it will bring your skill up to that from the base.

Anyone have any advice on Assassin's Creed? Just started playing, maybe an hour or two in.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you don't get into the game within the first few hours you probably shouldn't continue because it's pretty much more of the same for the entire thing. I liked the game well enough but I had the more fun just exploring and running from the guards than following the story.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Palleon posted:

Anyone have any advice on Assassin's Creed? Just started playing, maybe an hour or two in.

Don't waste your time 'spergin out on trying to do everything. Just do the minimum number of informer missions, explore the interesting parts of the city and climb a few buildings then do the assassination mission. Its far too easy to bore yourself with a "100% completionist" attitude.

Zombie Layne
Aug 16, 2008

by Ozma
Fallout 3

Explosives is the only combat skill you need in the entire game. You can one shot anything big with bottle cap mines/nuka grenades. With a maxed skill + demo perks you can kill groups of anything with 1-3 frags even at close range. If you're overwhelmed with anything then you can lay down mines and lure it. Grenades and mines are also plentiful and you'll be able to harvest plenty more from booby traps.

If you plan on making an intelligence or speech heavy build with limited combat skills then take explosives.

Lockpick or hacking choose one. Lockpicking is more rewarding in the long run loot wise but there is some fun stuff you can do with hacking at times.

Don't even bother pursuing the main quest until you're maxed out and you've explored every inch of the wasteland. There's a ton of stuff to do and see. At level 20 I got the explorer perk and there were still at least 1/3rd locations left.

I don't recommend getting the level 20+ mod. The game is already pretty easy on the hardest mode at that point. If you go beyond 20 then it probably just becomes boring.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fallout 3

I suggest doing Reilly's Raider when you get a chance so you can get the device from Reilly at the end (ask her for it upon Quest Completion) to earn money for every marked location. With the amount of land you bound to find, you can earn a large amount of caps.

Minor Spoiler If you want Dogmeat, I suggest you do the Moira quest to the mine field, and head south upon reaching your destination, which you will soon come upon a gated junkyard.

Overlord

Don't bother with the Dungeon until you get the third forge in the game. Once you do, build up a set of armor with high defense using a lot of Browns.

Also for the Dungeon, use a set of Reds and have them stand back while you take the damage. They will generally avoid damage while you take the blunt of the attacks. Handy as the Red can fling fire at enemies from afar.

Another dungeon tip, if you need more henchmen fast, just do the above two suggestion and take on the beetle monsters. There are four in the game, with each being related to a different color henchmen.

If you are going for 0% run, don't take the second mistress at Heaven's Peak, kill anything with a green highlight, or do anything you figure is really evil (steal a bag of money over saving elven women from death).

The final set of spells you earn in the game are determined by your corruption.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

For overlord, I would say to not bother upgrading or forging anything until you get the third forge. Save your lifeforce and gold because you seriously gently caress poo poo up with fully upgraded Aracanium equipment. You can solo most of the dungeon at that point.

If you want to deck out your minions, the dungeon is a great location until you get to the desert. Dwarf warriors will drop the best equipment in the dungeon. If they're not available, zombie hordes drop really good stuff as well.

"For me!"

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

hammeredspace posted:

Amazon's giving away Warhammer Online for ten bucks. How do I get a foothold in that game?
Didn't see anyone reply, so I'll bite. Dropped the game about a month after release and didn't quite reach max level, but I picked up a few things along the way that might be helpful.

# FIND A HIGH-POP SERVER. This game is only really fun with other players around, don't get stuck in a ghost town with no open-world PvP or public quest participation (that goes for both factions, so try and find one with a decent balance).

# Roll a class you intend to play properly. Pretty standard MMO stuff, but there was a lot of talk pre-release regarding how healers or tanks would be valuable as damage dealers and other such silliness. Healers heal. Tanks tank. Damage dealers deal damage. That's how it works, that's how you win: you play your role within your team. This makes solo play a little duller than WoW, but if everyone plays to their strengths in a party it can be quite fun.

# To that end: join a guild. The game basically assumes this from the outset, as they have their own set of levels and rewards to take advantage of. Besides that, you'll want to have others around to organise groups for PvP/dungeons/whatever, and it's always handy just to have the chat there to warn you of any action that's happening (particularly in larger guilds). Vent is basically a must for PvP.

# Hit up PQs early and often. They're your best source of loot, possibly until end-game, but it could be difficult to find others to do them with now that many are in the higher levels. Keep an eye on the open group window and try to ask around in general chat to generate interest (type /1). Loot isn't massively important, certainly not as much as WoW, but it helps ease things along.

# Beware the level curve. It might be a bit more forgiving since I quit, but don't let the lenient-at-first grind fool you. Levels 1-20 will basically drift by, but after that it gets a bit tougher. Tiers 3 and 4 more or less require you to complete all of the quests in all three corresponding zones, in addition to whatever XP you're getting from scenarios and whatever else. The last ten levels in particular are a bit of a slog, but the game never really puts a lot of pressure on you to rush things anyway, so it's mostly bearable as long as you're enjoying yourself (and not getting ganked too much).

Yeah... can't really think of anything else off-hand. Hope it helps.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Contingency Plan posted:

No one's mentioned this yet so I will. It is possible to skip large parts of the main quest if you're too enthusiastic in your exploring. Don't worry, you can still finish the game normally, you're just jumping the gun a bit.

As it happens, this is also a useful bit of info for subsequent playthroughs, since it can slightly slow down how fast you're gaining XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

For overlord, I would say to not bother upgrading or forging anything until you get the third forge. Save your lifeforce and gold because you seriously gently caress poo poo up with fully upgraded Aracanium equipment. You can solo most of the dungeon at that point.

Also, if you have the Raising Hell expansion, there's a recipe for a magic helm in the Halfling domain's expansion level that doubles the amount of life force you collect. This makes farming life force for forging items a lot less painful (though still dull as hell)