Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

You'll be saying WOW! every time you use this towel!
Maybe more people would listen to SW if there weren't so many christian broadcasts, there are definitely more interesting things that they could broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

ReD_DaWn posted:

Maybe more people would listen to SW if there weren't so many christian broadcasts, there are definitely more interesting things that they could broadcast.

Yeah, crazy preachers and foreign languages got kind of tiresome after a while. It seems like I only turn on my radio when someone posts in this thread and I'm reminded that I have it.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
yeah I do love me some mad Brother Stair from time to time but it can be a tad bit annoying when some ranting godsquad loon is splashing all over that delicate little signal you're after that could be from Peru if only you could hear it well enough to make out an ident without all that fire and brimstone getting in the way.

Also CRI. gently caress you China for having such huge booming signals splashing over loving *everything*.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

stinky ox posted:

Also CRI. gently caress you China for having such huge booming signals splashing over loving *everything*.
We'll see how long they can really afford to buy a zillion hours from Sackville :goleft:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

stinky ox posted:

I feel your pain. You think CRI's bad, imagine what their domestic SW stuff is like.

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

You'll be saying WOW! every time you use this towel!
It's a sad day when the only interesting thing I can receive on HF is Alex Jones.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

WBCQ is always worth looking for if you're bored; sometimes they have the usual preachers, but other times they have some... bizzare content.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

hahaha, some crazy 70ish year old preacher ranting about how he's lived longer than Jesus or John the Baptist did because he has to complete his mission from God....to bring about the End of Days. Caught him around 7:20 UT on 3187.

It's not as cool as picking up covert broadcasts, or as informative as world radio, but god drat crazy preachers are amusing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

nmfree posted:

WBCQ is always worth looking for if you're bored; sometimes they have the usual preachers, but other times they have some... bizzare content.

Once again right on the money. WBCQ is awesome. Looks like they've got a new website since the last time I was there too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Speaking of websites, anyone got any suggestions for good SW stations with online radio of any sort? Streaming would be good, but I'm not picky. I'm sitting at work bored shitless and some awesome radio would distract me long enough to make sure I don't go throw myself under a bus for entertainment.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Speaking of websites, anyone got any suggestions for good SW stations with online radio of any sort? Streaming would be good, but I'm not picky.
Just about every major SW broadcaster streams online now (many do so instead of broadcasting on SW :sigh: ); so if you have a particular broadcaster in mind they probably do. Otherwise, if you have a copy of Passport, they include web presence/ webcasts in their Addresses chapter.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nmfree posted:

Otherwise, if you have a copy of Passport, they include web presence/ webcasts in their Addresses chapter.

Well holy poo poo, I never even noticed that! Thanks man.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Ugh, I haven't gotten even the Spanish Lady in months. It looks like numbers stations may too be going off-air. Is there any hope?

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

meatpotato posted:

Ugh, I haven't gotten even the Spanish Lady in months. It looks like numbers stations may too be going off-air. Is there any hope?

Well there are still some around - I caught the tail end of one I didn't know a couple of Sundays ago (British sounding lady giving three-figure groups, then five-figure groups for a while, then ending off with "zero zero zero"). I was looking for Voice of Korea at the time so that would have been somewhere north of 7570kHz, not sure exactly where.

But yeah, I haven't heard as much numbers activity as there was a few months ago.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Scandinavian Weekend Radio set for December 6 broadcast
Dear listeners,

Scandinavian Weekend Radio, Virrat, Finland. will be broadcasting their first weekend of the month broadcast, this December 6. The broadcast will be 24 hours of action from 21 hours UTC on 1602 kHz MW, 6170/5980 kHz and 11720/11690 kHz.

Check our program, time and frequencytables from https://www.swradio.net . Lot of more information there as well.

+358 40 995559 call and send your SMS's
info@swradio.net send your e-mails here. Letters and reports for QSL's (add 2 euros/2 IRC's) write to:

SWR reports
P.O.Box 99
FI-34801 VIRRAT
FINLAND

Alpo Heinonen
Scandinavian Weekend Radio
They say that they'll be using either a beam or dipole antenna on the SW freqs, but they don't specify which direction it will be pointed in. It also looks like all of their equipment on SW will be repurposed ham gear, so this will be a tough catch for most of us in the US either way.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Has anyone discovered how difficult it can be studying for a math final with The Conet Project playing in the background? :D

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

from the Passport Blog:

quote:

Etón E1 to Be Rebranded, E1XM to Be Discontinued

With the merger of XM and Sirius, it is hardly surprising that radios which receive only one or the other service, but not both, are fading away.

So it is that the top-rated Etón E1XM (Passport 2009, pp. 61-64) is being discontinued. The version sans XM, the E1, is being rebranded and will be sold before long under Etón’s Grundig banner. An official announcement will be forthcoming. —via Esmail Hozour, Etón CEO, with a tip o’ the hat to Lawrence Bulk

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
So does this mean those of us that are interested in the E1XM but not so much the XM part might find an E1XM for cheaper?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ReD_DaWn posted:

Honestly you can only hear every few words of an Overcomer broadcast and you'll still poo poo bricks.
"end of America........international bankers.........jews..........control the all money"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

^^^
One quiet Sunday afternoon my SW was searching and stopped on a signal just as this reverby Southern woman's voice boomed out "TODAY, WE GOIN' TA TALK... ABOUT BLOOOOOD." That was a pretty good sermon.

Got my 2009 Passport today! :woop: Two minutes after looking in their "what's on tonight" section, I was listening to Radio Serbia's English broadcast instead of crazy preachers.

Couple weeks ago, I stumbled upon this show about DXing on Radio Havana. I remembered enough about it the next day to find this:

http://www.radiohc.org/Distributions/arnie.html

That's the show alright, but stupid me didn't write down the time/freq, and I can't find a website with current info on it. Anyone familiar with its schedule, or know a way to find it again?

It was great fun; he's got a distinctive voice, happily telling us amigos about what sort of sunspots we can expect and how awesome some antenna is. Here's an actual quote from an old transcript: "And YES, amigos, my friends, I do insist: building a regenerative receiver is a once-in-a-lifetime experience." Help me find this show again! Even his most current blog doesn't list time/freq on it. Odd.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

meatpotato posted:

Has anyone discovered how difficult it can be studying for a math final with The Conet Project playing in the background? :D

Yes. Yes I have.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

^^^
One quiet Sunday afternoon my SW was searching and stopped on a signal just as this reverby Southern woman's voice boomed out "TODAY, WE GOIN' TA TALK... ABOUT BLOOOOOD." That was a pretty good sermon.
I kind of wish I had my own dedicated receiver, for now I'm stuck using one of our transceivers at work which is hardly ideal. Probably the most amusing thing I've found to do with Brother Stair is to have him tuned in with no volume on and "demonstrate" the radio to whoever happens to be dicking around in our shop.
"You can cast the Devil out but how will he KNOOWWWWW!?!"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dammit now I'm going to have to try and see how many of these make it this far, because holy poo poo fire and brimstone preachers sound awesome. I did catch one, months back, that I think was Indian, which made it even weirder.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That's the show alright, but stupid me didn't write down the time/freq, and I can't find a website with current info on it. Anyone familiar with its schedule, or know a way to find it again?

It was great fun; he's got a distinctive voice, happily telling us amigos about what sort of sunspots we can expect and how awesome some antenna is. Here's an actual quote from an old transcript: "And YES, amigos, my friends, I do insist: building a regenerative receiver is a once-in-a-lifetime experience." Help me find this show again! Even his most current blog doesn't list time/freq on it. Odd.
http://www.radiohc.org/Distributions/Dxers/dxsked.html

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

:doh: How did I miss that? Thanks again, nmfree.

Here's my next stupid question: how much SW programming is live? Obviously the ones with call-in segments are, but what about news/music programs from non-US countries? The reason I ask is I'm probably hosting this year's New Year's Eve shin-dig, and I thought it might be cool (read: incredibly geeky) to have the SW running in the garage (a.k.a. the smoking lounge), ringing in the New Year as it hits different time zones.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Kind of annoyed at myself. Forgot to pack my radio to take to my parents' place for the holidays. I put the cord in my checked bag, and meant to put the radio itself in my carry-on. But since I listened to it the night before, I forgot!

Sucks, too, because I get more interesting reception at their place than I do in Colorado.

Atomic Number 42
Jun 7, 2004

by Ozma
Quick question for everyone that I hope relates enough to the thread to warrant inclusion.

Even though its not about shortwave, per se, I was wondering about reception on my regular digital trunking scanner (pro-96). I don't know too much about the science of radios, and I was just wondering why my reception can go from clear to completely fuzzy, and every place in between, by just moving it mere centimeters, rotating it 1 degree, walking past it, etc...

What kind of things are causing a local (and powerful) radio frequency to get lost and refound within moment just by things I can barely perceive (much less keep track of).

Second thing: When I'm listening to digital frequencies in the 800mhz band (police frequencies, for instance), it sounds perfect. But if I bring it in the car, or any other "mobile" situation, it cuts in and out rapidly and randomly, making it useless. Any idea what I can do to minimize this?

I know this is probably basic to you all, but I've struggled with this for years, and never really got a usable answer from anyone, so I appreciate any answers you can give me.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Atomic Number 42 posted:

Even though its not about shortwave, per se, I was wondering about reception on my regular digital trunking scanner (pro-96). I don't know too much about the science of radios, and I was just wondering why my reception can go from clear to completely fuzzy, and every place in between, by just moving it mere centimeters, rotating it 1 degree, walking past it, etc...

What kind of things are causing a local (and powerful) radio frequency to get lost and refound within moment just by things I can barely perceive (much less keep track of).
The antenna usually included with handheld scanners is pretty much worthless; instead of giving you something that will perform decently the manufacturer is more worried about 1)cost and 2)durability. For most people, it will be adequate, but it isn't good enough to cope with things like being out of polarization with what you want to listen to (which at scanner frequencies will virtually always be vertical) or partially blocked signal paths, so when you move it around, it will receive more or less signal. The only way to fix this is to A) get a better antenna, which will be longer (thereby less convenient and more tippy, as I found out with my nice HT antenna a few weeks ago :( ) and/or B) try to keep your scanner antenna as vertical as possible.

Atomic Number 42 posted:

Second thing: When I'm listening to digital frequencies in the 800mhz band (police frequencies, for instance), it sounds perfect. But if I bring it in the car, or any other "mobile" situation, it cuts in and out rapidly and randomly, making it useless. Any idea what I can do to minimize this?
800MHz is a high enough frequency that it will be blocked or reflected by the metal of your car, or even by any metallic compounds in your windows (e.g. rear window defroster wires, certain tintings are made out of metallic film). The best way to fix this problem is to get an external antenna for your car; even a cheap mag mount from Radio Shack should work just fine.

Atomic Number 42
Jun 7, 2004

by Ozma

nmfree posted:

try to keep your scanner antenna as vertical as possible.

Ah, thank you, I had never heard this. It's basically a ritual, each day, trying to figure out which combination of placement and direction gives me the best reception. Some days it comes in best if I jam it sideways into the headrest of my car, and other days it comes in best if I stick it under my chair. Once I figure out the perfect placement, DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH IT! It just seems like a crapshoot really.

Sputnyak
Dec 2, 2007

Discophagus Grunniens
After reading up loads on numbers stations I've become really fascinated with the idea of listening into all kinds of broadcasts. I barely know anything about technology but I'm very much willing to learn; the first post in the thread is fascinating so far, and I'll learn it like the bible.
If I want to get myself a device like the Grundig G6, should I try and find a bargain or get one new? There don't seem to be many available on eBay. Also, this might be a dense question, but from how far off with the Grundig be able to pick up transmissions? I understand it can catch things from quite a way away, but still. I've never tried to into anything apart from generic music stations, so I get the impression I'm really underestimating the power of these things.
I don't suppose anyone in the UK wants to sell me one, no?

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
well the most important factor will be your aerial, but with a decent aerial and radio you can hear stuff from all over the planet, depending on the conditions. I'm in Wales with a bit of wire down the garden and an eton e1 (a bit posher than the e6, but the e6 is still a good bit of kit) we've heard stuff from here to Oz and everywhere in between.

Plus I'd far rather listen to Estonian folk music, ranting preachers, the Voice of Korea and Radio Havana Cuba than any of the shite we got on local radio in the UK any day ;-).

Dig in, have fun, get a copy of Passport to World Radio 2009, don't worry about not knowing much at first, half the fun is in learning as you go along.

Sputnyak
Dec 2, 2007

Discophagus Grunniens
I'll hunt down a copy. :) It's slightly weird to realize that it's such a huge hobby for some people, that there are books and groups on the subject, and yet it's generally a pretty obscure thing, and almost as strange as trainspotting. Awesome.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sputnyak posted:

Also, this might be a dense question, but from how far off with the Grundig be able to pick up transmissions? I understand it can catch things from quite a way away, but still. I've never tried to into anything apart from generic music stations, so I get the impression I'm really underestimating the power of these things.

Naturally YMMV, but I use a G6 and have been very happy with it. I live in Virginia and set a new personal record in picking up Iran last night --- that's 6400 miles!

Beary Mancrush
Jun 9, 2002

Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.
Add me to the financial drain list:

I bought an FRG-7 about a year ago for $50 and bought myself a Christmas present of a G5 today at Radio Shack for $150.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Degen’s New Pocket Radio/Recorder

What’s never been available before is a handy pocket radio/recorder to give world band listeners something akin to a TiVo experience.

Well, it’s finally here, thanks to China’s Degen Electronics. Read on…

**3/8
Degen DE1123

Price (1 GB version): via https://stores.ebay.com/RadiosCN and other eBay vendors, including worldwide AC adaptor: $77.99 including air shipping from China to the United States.

Pros: Built-in audio recorder/MP3 player for i.a. off-air recording (see Cons). Several handy tuning features, including 225 nonvolatile station presets—100 for world band, 100 for FM, 25 for mediumwave AM. Auto-tuning storage (ATS) automatically loads active stations into presets; functions on all bands. Meter presets for quick access to individual world band segments. Good world band sensitivity, even with short telescopic antenna (see Cons). Relatively good selectivity on all bands, even though only one narrow bandwidth per band (see Cons). Good image rejection. Punchy audio (see Cons). Digital signal-strength indicator performs well. LCD has good contrast and easy-to-read icons (see Cons). Excellent 15-second LCD illumination. Most keys have good tactile response (“feel”). Digital volume control uses 32 precise steps. 12/24 hour clock displays seconds, day and month when radio off. Sleep timer, 5-90 minutes. Four-bar battery indicator. Single-event “on” timer activates radio or MP3 files (see Cons). Travel lock switch. Good FM sensitivity. Earbud cable seconds as FM antenna. Coverage 64 to 108 MHz includes all global FM frequencies, including those in Japan, Ukraine, Russia and Bulgaria. Includes three “AAA” Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, worldwide battery charger, short USB cable, earbuds, thin cloth pouch, carrying strap and Chinese-English owner’s manual.

Cons (except recorder): Apparently not currently sold outside China. Quality of materials and assembly appear substandard, including among other things a flimsy band/mode switch. No tuning knob. Poky frequency slewing. DSP noise degrades signal-to-noise ratio, limiting weak-signal reception. Narrow selectivity and DSP noise result in poor audio quality, especially on world band and mediumwave AM. No EQ or other tone controls. Cabinet resonates at louder volumes. Front-end selectivity barely adequate, so local mediumwave AM stations can mix with world band signals if supplementary wire clipped onto telescopic antenna. Limited dynamic range and no attenuator, but adequate with unenhanced telescopic antenna. Telescopic antenna does not swivel or rotate. Frequency display in nonstandard XX.XXx MHz format. LCD a strain to read in low ambient light unless illuminated. Shortwave coverage, 2.3-23 MHz, excludes virtually unused 25 MHz (11 meter) world band segment. No snooze. Clock and user settings vanish in a mere five seconds when batteries removed or die. No external antenna jack. Fair-to-poor mediumwave AM sensitivity. Uses only USB connection for external power input; no traditional DC input for AC adaptor. Included USB cable inconveniently short (30 inches, 706 mm). Included battery charger not UL listed.

Cons (WAV recorder/MP3-WMA player): On-only timer inappropriate for turnkey recording of broadcasts. Records only in low-quality 32 kbps WAV format (4 bit/8000 Hz sampling rate). Player lacks shuffle. Manual folder access sluggish. No alphanumeric text support. Struggles to play large MP3 files. Volume must be at maximum for proper off-air recording.

☞ Our first sample arrived from traditionally dependable eBay vendor “RadiosCN” with intermittent reception and defective LCD illumination. The vendor asked us to perform various tests to prove to their satisfaction that the radio was, in fact, defective, then indicated a replacement would be provided once the initial unit had been received back, albeit sent at our expense. We thus coughed up $22.50 for Priority International Mail to return the defective unit to China, then in two weeks received a properly working replacement—indicated by the vendor as the latest version, ca. 12/08. Although return shipping put us out 29 percent of the purchase price, this bested our earlier experience with alternative eBay vendor “Liypn,” which although having charged extra for insurance wouldn’t act on a radio that was received damaged. (A third and new vendor, Anon Co, hasn’t been tried yet.)

☞ The intermittent reception issue, which Degen insists didn’t apply to our unit, has surfaced elsewhere—at least on early samples. From Internet users’ reports and our own disassembly of the original unit, it appears that a small soldered wire can stick out slightly from the metal LCD shroud to make contact with the telescopic antenna. Degen has attempted to insulate this area with a small piece of masking tape, but this has not always been up to the task. As of now we have no way of knowing whether later samples are faring better, but it wouldn’t require rocket science for Degen to remedy.

Verdict: The new DE1123 is another mixed bag from China. In many respects its performance is quite decent, and it is attractively priced for all it does. Yet, its primary feature, built-in recording, comes off dismally. Add to that various DSP and audio shortcomings outside FM, and the DE1123 generally disappoints.

Nevertheless, it comes in a package small enough to tempt frequent travelers. For some this will be the deal maker that earns the ‘1123 a place in their pockets. —David Zantow
Just in case someone is looking to burn some Christmas money and finds one of these on eBay.

Beary Mancrush
Jun 9, 2002

Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.
ugh. My apartment is awash in RF pollution. Have you guys had much luck pulling signals out with an active antenna or am I SOL?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Got a shortwave radio for christmas. Disappointed that I haven't found any numbers stations, but I have found some strange stations that were just a series of beeps. One I could tell had a voice saying something after it, but it was too garbled to make out.

Also Chinese Christmas music is hilarious.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Got a shortwave radio for christmas. Disappointed that I haven't found any numbers stations, but I have found some strange stations that were just a series of beeps. One I could tell had a voice saying something after it, but it was too garbled to make out.

The series of beeps is probably just the time stations. It beeps and then says, "At the tone, the time will be...Universal Coordinated Time" or something like that. I thought it was pretty neat when I first heard it too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait what?

Earlier I stumbled upon some traditional Western Christmas songs being sung in Chinese, or some similar language. The announcer/dj spoke it too. I went back to listen to the station again but it wasn't on or disappeared.

It was in the late 5800-5988 khz range, don't remember the exact number. I hope it comes on again.

• Locked thread