Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The guy with the see-through blade is using a one-handed sword and also doesn't appear to be wearing any armor, so my theory is going to be either:

1.) Rogue with a couple levels of Wizard or Sorcerer (less than the dude in yellow, who appears to be more Wizard/Rogue than Rogue/Wizard), used primarily for casting low level combat enhancing utility spells-- in this instance, Wraithstrike.

2.) Invisibility on the sword trick, though Permanent Invisibility seems a bit pricy for some mook, and it should affect the hilt of the sword if this is the case. Maybe Blurstrike weapon, from Races of the Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nine kills in as many seconds with bonus points for style. Belkar is officially the most badass character in the comic.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I think I caught a rather clever joke in the fourth panel.

You'll notice that you can see the words on the wall in the background. Of the words, the following are the most visible:

Alive, in danger
(Greysky?) (with?)
Belkar

Rogue's alive, in danger
Mist is akin to a greysky
and Belkar is currently descending on him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Cabbit posted:

The guy with the see-through blade is using a one-handed sword and also doesn't appear to be wearing any armor, so my theory is going to be either:

2.) Invisibility on the sword trick, though Permanent Invisibility seems a bit pricy for some mook, and it should affect the hilt of the sword if this is the case. Maybe Blurstrike weapon, from Races of the Wild.

I stand by invisibility as you can easily wrap the hilt of the sword in something so that it's easy to draw and find. And It's not really that pricy, especially if he stole it from someone or a wizard owed him a favor.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

seaborgium posted:

I stand by invisibility as you can easily wrap the hilt of the sword in something so that it's easy to draw and find. And It's not really that pricy, especially if he stole it from someone or a wizard owed him a favor.

Or if they're in a decently successful Thieves Guild, especially if it happens to have casters in it as well.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Can Roy pick it up if it is a ghost-touch weapon?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Ghosts can pick up and use ghost touch weapons, yeah.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Vanadium posted:

Actually... I think so. Unless I'm thinking of another quality that allows incorporeal creatures to carry an object. I know there's a ghostly prestige class (Libris Mortis) that gets the ability.

EDIT: Beat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I could almost hear the Popeye them.

EDIT: I don't see this "invisible sword". Er... no pun intended.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 25, 2008

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Second page, second panel, guy in the blue shirt yelling "sneak attack" has a sword that's transparent.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is Roy actually a ghost? I thought ghosts were dead spirits still bound to the Material plane, where Roy is not and just sort of visiting on and off. I don't know what he would fall into, but I'm not sure that he's a ghost - case in point, you can see and hear ghosts, and they can attack you. He can't do any of those.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Jeez dudes, Belkar finally goes off on a rampage and all you can talk about is a random transparent sword?

EDIT : And he already fixed it on the site even!

Shavnir fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 25, 2008

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Is Roy actually a ghost? I thought ghosts were dead spirits still bound to the Material plane, where Roy is not and just sort of visiting on and off. I don't know what he would fall into, but I'm not sure that he's a ghost - case in point, you can see and hear ghosts, and they can attack you. He can't do any of those.

That is why I asked :shobon: Actual ghosts get to do all kinds of neat stuff like manifest themselves that Roy is obviously having trouble with.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Shavnir posted:

Jeez dudes, Belkar finally goes off on a rampage and all you can talk about is a random transparent sword?

Awww, and I was having fun with all the speculation. Dang.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Fuckin' rangers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Shavnir posted:

Ah! See, I read it on the website. No wonder I didn't see it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Aww. And Wraithstrike is such a fun spell, too.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
Although it's a funny comment on how bloated D&D has become, that it's plausible for this to have been an actual intentional decision instead of just a coloring error!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

It's possible that this 'invisible blade' just a coincidence. The sword might be a +2 or +3 weapon, and valued more for that than any special properties. These guys are probably mid-level rogues, so any + to hit would be appreciated against a higher level opponent.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Scopedog posted:

Although it's a funny comment on how bloated D&D has become, that it's plausible for this to have been an actual intentional decision instead of just a coloring error!

Considering Invisibility is one of the most core of the core spells in the game, is it really? People have been using and abusing that spell since day one, and I'm sure it wasn't long after that day a rogue put 2 and 2 together.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Considering Invisibility is one of the most core of the core spells in the game, is it really? People have been using and abusing that spell since day one, and I'm sure it wasn't long after that day a rogue put 2 and 2 together.

I had a Thri-kreen Rogue who had a ring of invisibility and Multiattack.

Yeah, I even pissed myself off with that one.

RazedByNatives
Jul 1, 2004

Well, it must have been a coloring error - the sword is now colored in.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a shame, were invisibility available, an invisible sword (in the hands of an experienced fighter) would make reasonable sense. If you can't see the blade, you have to judge its position by the angle of their hand, so you'll end up focusing on that over anything else. If you don't know what type of blade your opponent's sword is, you have to assume it's long and give them a lot of room when they swing.

An invisible blade on an "incorrectly sized" hilt could provide significant benefits in combat.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Protip: If you want the compilation books but don't want to spend full price, keep checking the APE Games Product List now and again for their "Scratch and Dent" sales. They shave a good amount off the price of that batch, and chances are likely you won't even notice anything wrong. Mine looked perfect. Last month I got the prequels that way, and right now they're selling the first two compilations $6-$10 off.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

goatface posted:

That's a shame, were invisibility available, an invisible sword (in the hands of an experienced fighter) would make reasonable sense. If you can't see the blade, you have to judge its position by the angle of their hand, so you'll end up focusing on that over anything else.

I see you havn't read enough fantasy to realize that real swordsmasters look people in the eyes when they fight! Hah!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Affi posted:

I see you havn't read enough fantasy to realize that real swordsmasters look people in the eyes when they fight! Hah!

Only the sucky sword masters can even see. Blindness makes the best fighters, and deafness probably would make you an epic level bard.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Gyges posted:

Only the sucky sword masters can even see. Blindness makes the best fighters, and deafness probably would make you an epic level bard.
Worked for Beethoven.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

:siren: New Strip! :siren:

A valuable lesson for us all.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Belkar coming back is the best thing this comic has done in months.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat, I guess this means that Priest of Loki's not joining up with the gang.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MikeJF posted:

He probably wouldn't have gotten along that well with a priest of Thor. And this was a pretty good comic, hopefully things will keep moving along.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

MikeJF posted:

Given we now have two priests of Loki hanging about (this guy and Hilgya), I think we'll be seeing him again after this chapter is over. That is, if he doesn't end up dead before we're through (which isn't unlikely, depending on how things progress)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Rehost in case the site goes down:

Click here for the full 724x933 image.

Heh heh. "Brany Pete." :)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I do love the idea of Belkar as an evangelist of violence.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Anybody else want a sandwich now?

Also: "Whuh??"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You know, there were definitely times that I found Belkar to be kind of dull and irritating... but this is just great. Keep on killing, you furious, lethal little man.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Ashcans posted:

You know, there were definitely times that I found Belkar to be kind of dull and irritating... but this is just great. Keep on killing, you furious, lethal little man.

I have to agree ... Belkar was my least favorite member of the Order ... now he's making me laugh so hard I wanna see more of the little bastard! I'm glad those who were naysaying the setup to this are eating their words :v:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
That was some grade A banter there. "Wow, it's almost like I'm a seasoned warrior and you two are glorified pickpockets."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How did those two not get attacks of opportunity on her while she flew in? They said she couldn't do it for that very reason a few strips ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Already focused on Belkar and Hayley. Or something.