Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

canuckanese posted:

The worst is when they have no sustained pressure for an entire period or more, then all of a sudden start kicking rear end and you've just been standing around for 25-30 minutes.

Sort of happened to me in one game, I remember. They'd get a shot here or there against me, it was late in the third and I had like 9 or 10 saves, and was pitching (albeit a weak) shutout. Of course, they're "best" player gets a breakaway, basically falls over me and the pucks dribbles in. I was pissed. Probably could've played it better, but I was basically standing there most of the period, and he never even really got a shot off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Beginner league in Chandler on Friday/Saturday nights.

Do any of the guys exclusively play defensemen or do they try to rotate arond the "burden" of playing defense? It sadly seems like it takes a different mentality to play defense. As goalies, we all have that mindset, but most skaters are obsessed with scoring and don't seem to realize that playing good defense creates scoring opportunities. I've also noticed that a lot of the better defensemen I've played against are either goalies or want to play goalie, so if anyone on your team has ever expressed interest in playing goalie, then maybe you can convince them to dedicate themselves to playing defensemen.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Do any of the guys exclusively play defensemen or do they try to rotate arond the "burden" of playing defense? It sadly seems like it takes a different mentality to play defense. As goalies, we all have that mindset, but most skaters are obsessed with scoring and don't seem to realize that playing good defense creates scoring opportunities. I've also noticed that a lot of the better defensemen I've played against are either goalies or want to play goalie, so if anyone on your team has ever expressed interest in playing goalie, then maybe you can convince them to dedicate themselves to playing defensemen.

Sadly the lines get changed every week since no one wants to play D. Fuckers.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Sadly the lines get changed every week since no one wants to play D. Fuckers.

Sounds like fun. So aside from your team, how does the league seem? I'm thinking about playing in a ice league next year, though I may play a season of inline first, since playing open hockey all the time is a different mindset and I kind of miss the competiveness of league play. I'm just debating whether I want to make the trek up to the Castle or play at the new inline rink that's about to open in Queen Creek.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Sounds like fun. So aside from your team, how does the league seem? I'm thinking about playing in a ice league next year, though I may play a season of inline first, since playing open hockey all the time is a different mindset and I kind of miss the competiveness of league play. I'm just debating whether I want to make the trek up to the Castle or play at the new inline rink that's about to open in Queen Creek.

You'd fit in just fine in our league. Sounds like you're closer to the gilbert rink though. Call in and put your name on the goalie list for next season, you'll have plenty of people calling you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

You'd fit in just fine in our league. Sounds like you're closer to the gilbert rink though. Call in and put your name on the goalie list for next season, you'll have plenty of people calling you.

I may have to do that.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Welp in my 2nd game tonight I faced, according to the count, 87 shots on goal. Sadly, I was unable to stop 10 of them. Its funny because despite the score I (and a lot of other people) actually thought I played very well. I made probably the most awesome two-pad slide save on a 2-on-0 in my life. Lots of breakaways, two-on-0s, screening and poo poo...some people would call it a goalie's nightmare but I was having fun out there. My favorite part was the other team's best forward didn't score once. Seemed like every one of my best saves was against that poor guy. Breakaways, wide open in front, etc no matter what he did he couldn't score.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, 87 SOG. I'd say 77 stops in ANY game is a good job.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I actually developed blisters on my feet from that game. Three 15 minute periods. Last time I got skate blisters was back when I went to hockey camp. :lol:

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aniki posted:

defense is the offensive lineman of hockey; you only get recognition when you gently caress up, and no one says your name unless they're upset about something you did.

goal got scored against you? well, your forwards are mad that you didn't stop the guy, hang a pass through five guys, and hit them on a breakaway (they've got a laser-rocket shot you know.) and you goalie types are mad because we were screening you.

nobody blames the goalie (to his face) because you fuckers are crazy and have much more padding, the biggest stick, and full face shield.

make a great defensive play? good fucker, that's your job. now go sit on the point and think about puppy dogs or swimming pools because there's no way in hell that the ovechkin on your team is going to pass(lol) up an opportunity to put the puck through the legs of the entire opposing team.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

defense is the offensive lineman of hockey; you only get recognition when you gently caress up, and no one says your name unless they're upset about something you did.

Aww, I'm the goalie who's yelling 'GOOD D GOOD D' when my Dmen actually do something awesome. We're in this together, my defensive brethern :unsmith:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Martytoof posted:

Aww, I'm the goalie who's yelling 'GOOD D GOOD D' when my Dmen actually do something awesome. We're in this together, my defensive brethern :unsmith:

I kinda was the same way. Had a couple great stay at home D-men for a team I played on for 4 or 5 seasons, and I absolutely loved playing with them. One of them had a decent point shot too, so he got his goals, but man was he a good D-man.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always try to create a rapport with my defense, even if I'm just filling in for a goalie. I'm pretty vocal on the ice anyway so giving them some props mid-play is really nothing for me -- and I definitely don't mean to make this sound Pavlovian but -- if that encourages them to play well then everyone wins.

After the game I'll usually thank them for a memorable block or whatever. Sometimes I worry that I come off like I'm just humoring them and feeding them fake praise but it's pretty much all legit. The only reason I might stretch the truth is if I'm trying to boost someone's confidence, but then I try to make sure I don't give them the impression that they did something good when it was actually detrimental.

On the other hand, I don't really have much to talk to (my own) forwards about since my only interaction with them is the occasional pass off the boards. I do typically talk to opposing forwards, maybe telling a guy he's got a wicked shot if he manages to pot one in a three inch gap I leave or something. I've gotten some great advice and reality checks doing that. Often when I get scored on thinking I was leaving very little, I'll talk to the forward and he'll tell me exactly what I was showing after the game. If I have any doubts on a save I could have made I try to talk to the guy who scored it after the game, even just to chat -- it's not that hard to get info out of guys and if anything it's something to think about for next game.

Anyway, the new thing I'm frustrated about is that I'm still trying to convince some of my D to remember to play the pass versus the shot on a 2-on-1. It's really easy to play the situation when you know your D is going to take the pass OR the shot, but depending on who's on the ice there's no consistency. I really want them to start playing the pass so I can come out a lot more to challenge the shooter instead of having to cheat to play the pass, which usually results in me giving up the cheater goal :(

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

Anyway, the new thing I'm frustrated about is that I'm still trying to convince some of my D to remember to play the pass versus the shot on a 2-on-1. It's really easy to play the situation when you know your D is going to take the pass OR the shot, but depending on who's on the ice there's no consistency. I really want them to start playing the pass so I can come out a lot more to challenge the shooter instead of having to cheat to play the pass, which usually results in me giving up the cheater goal :(
I have the exact opposite problem as a defenseman. When I'm defending a 2-on-1, I always tell the goalie before the game that I have the pass, do not cheat, if they get the pass across and score it is not his fault because he cheats a lot and gets beat short side all the time. Now when I'm on a 2-on-1 I just start yelling "take the shot" which sometimes has the effect of having the guy with the puck shoot right away.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might take seeing the entire ice for granted (since I'm in a fixed spot looking out), but a lot of times when I ask why my defenseman took the shot instead of the pass he'll say he didn't even realize there was a second man coming in. I don't know if there's a tendency in newer players to just be focused entirely on the puck instead of having broad ice awareness but it happens a lot more than I'd like and sometimes it's hard to believe that they can't see the play developing. I guess the only thing I can do is loudly suggest "TAKE THE PASS TAKE THE PASS" while I come out to challenge, but that will ultimately only work if my defenseman processes what I'm yelling and has enough time to adjust to the other man.

So I might just throw caution to the wind tonight and come out to challenge. It's just shinny so nobody's keeping score. Plus if I get beat like 50 times by the pass then maybe it'll start to register :cool:

Speaking of "tonight" games, anyone else habitually have a need to take a nap before a game? I feel I play like poo poo if I don't. Well, some could argue I play like poo poo regardless, but I *feel* like poo poo if I don't. Which is terrible since taking a nap at 7 so I can be up for an 11pm start pretty much means I won't be getting to bed before 3 or 4am.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 2, 2008

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Nah, it's always good to talk Marty. I love when my goalies talk to me. Please talk to me.

If you get beat by the pass as a goalie it is never, ever, your fault. Never.

2-1s I always try to take the pass of course, but there is a point sometimes where you need to make sure you don't give the forward with the puck too much room. If he is able to cut across the crease, for instance, I've probably hosed up.

Still, even then I'd rather let them do that than get a tap in pass through. At least the goalie has a chance in that situation. It is a tough line to tread sometimes against the really talented forwards who know exactly how much time and space they have before the defenseman feels he has no choice but to commit more to them lest they have a clear and easy look at the goalie.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

Vigilance posted:

Nah, it's always good to talk Marty. I love when my goalies talk to me. Please talk to me.

If you get beat by the pass as a goalie it is never, ever, your fault. Never.

2-1s I always try to take the pass of course, but there is a point sometimes where you need to make sure you don't give the forward with the puck too much room. If he is able to cut across the crease, for instance, I've probably hosed up.

Still, even then I'd rather let them do that than get a tap in pass through. At least the goalie has a chance in that situation. It is a tough line to tread sometimes against the really talented forwards who know exactly how much time and space they have before the defenseman feels he has no choice but to commit more to them lest they have a clear and easy look at the goalie.

Pretty much this.

I play LW, but if I'm the last one back on a 2-1 I will ALWAYS take the cross-ice pass option away from the shooter and force him to shoot the puck hoping the goalie has the angle covered, unless the goalie yells at me to step up on the shooter. I've always had better results doing this as it seems to give the goalie more confidence in his angle on the shooter and gives the goalie a much better view of the puck.

I play it at various distances too. For example when the pair first enter the zone, I'll be pretty much be directly in-between the two forwards, biased towards the puck carrier. As the progressively get closer to the crease I'll keep slightly shifting in towards the guy with the puck, but never will be close enough to poke it away from him (I'm making sure he doesn't have a pass to the slot) until the shooter is within 5' of the net, in which case I'll step up and try to get the puck from him.

Is this how you guys normally would want a F to play that situation?

Zinc. fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zinc. posted:

Is this how you guys normally would want a F to play that situation?

Yes. This is normally how I would want ANYONE to play the position. I mean others might disagree and give different tactics but I think you've summed it up pretty well how I'd ask someone to handle it.

If he's within five feet of the net and hasn't shot or passed it, I can probably start to go for the poke myself. If he hasn't shot it within five feet he's either going for some crazy through-the-crease/legs pass or he's taking it behind the net, is my first guess. I should be out pretty far so any shot should be low %ge.

Though for all I know I just explained why I'm a terrible goalie ;)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 2, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo. Not to make a huge deal out of this or anything, but tonight I challenged out a LOT; more than I was previously comfortable doing, and my game flipped loving 360. All of a sudden I was making amazing saves, pucks were coming AT me instead of near me, I stopped tons of breakaways.

I mean, it's like coming out that extra two or three feet completely changed the dynamic of the game. If anyone is struggling, go to shinny and try challenging out more than you're comfortable doing.

e: I mean, don't go overboard and start hanging out at the faceoff dots or anything, but there were times where I was halfway there.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Challenging definitely makes a huge difference. I'm out at the hash marks till the puck hits the blueline and I'm at the top of my crease till the puck hits the hash marks. I'm a small guy in the net so if I didn't do this I would get burned twice as often easily.

As for odd-man rushes, I always yell 2 on 1, 3 on 1, whatever so they can't say they didn't see the other attacker.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

crusader donkey posted:

Challenging definitely makes a huge difference. I'm out at the hash marks till the puck hits the blueline and I'm at the top of my crease till the puck hits the hash marks. I'm a small guy in the net so if I didn't do this I would get burned twice as often easily.

As for odd-man rushes, I always yell 2 on 1, 3 on 1, whatever so they can't say they didn't see the other attacker.

The one thing you guys should bewuuur about when doing this, and I love to try and expose it as a LW is your angle if the wing is coming in wide. I score 50-60% of my goals coming in wide and fast on the LW as a RH shot and ripping a quick snap/wrist shot to the top-right corner. What I've found as a shooter/sniper type of player is that if I come in fast and quickly swing out to the outer side of the big faceoff dot and the swing back in towards the face-off dot is that the goalie tends to favor his shortside leaving me a semi-blind (in that I can't REALLY see the far corner open, but I know it is) shot to the top shelf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5TClbnWNk8
Forward to 5:18, this is my go-to shot and works WAY more than you'd think.

So in review goalies, watch that far corner, we swing out to expose it.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

People like you make me challenge even more :argh:

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
So during December break I'm going to ask if I can skate up for my old senior minor league because no one would know the difference, because I'm not stellar when it comes to beyond the crease. Anyway, I was thinking about situations I would be in as maybe a defenseman and how I would want my defensemen to react if I were in goal. Follow?
So a really good player breaks through into the neutral zone past me being a defenseman. In this situation, I would probably want to have the defense trip the guy up and be down a man than to have to take the breakaway. Certainly it depends on the player, but I was the best goalie in the league last year and they haven't gotten any new ones (goalies have to play on more than one team now and switch up) and I had trouble with some of the players.
So, anyone who considered this situation before, either last man back or goalie, what would you rather: breakaway or penalty kill? Keep in mind that that the defenseman already did everything in his power to prevent both and now has to decide to let the guy skate in or shove that stick between his feet.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo. Not to make a huge deal out of this or anything, but tonight I challenged out a LOT; more than I was previously comfortable doing, and my game flipped loving 360. All of a sudden I was making amazing saves, pucks were coming AT me instead of near me, I stopped tons of breakaways.

I mean, it's like coming out that extra two or three feet completely changed the dynamic of the game. If anyone is struggling, go to shinny and try challenging out more than you're comfortable doing.

e: I mean, don't go overboard and start hanging out at the faceoff dots or anything, but there were times where I was halfway there.

When play enters my end, I'm usually at least three feet in front of the crease to take advantage of my size. Quite often, this will freak out a skater and cause him to shoot very early.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

gco posted:

So during December break I'm going to ask if I can skate up for my old senior minor league because no one would know the difference, because I'm not stellar when it comes to beyond the crease. Anyway, I was thinking about situations I would be in as maybe a defenseman and how I would want my defensemen to react if I were in goal. Follow?
So a really good player breaks through into the neutral zone past me being a defenseman. In this situation, I would probably want to have the defense trip the guy up and be down a man than to have to take the breakaway. Certainly it depends on the player, but I was the best goalie in the league last year and they haven't gotten any new ones (goalies have to play on more than one team now and switch up) and I had trouble with some of the players.
So, anyone who considered this situation before, either last man back or goalie, what would you rather: breakaway or penalty kill? Keep in mind that that the defenseman already did everything in his power to prevent both and now has to decide to let the guy skate in or shove that stick between his feet.

Remember, ref's could always call for a PS in that scenario.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would typically rather take the breakaway because I've been working on breakaways :3:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Goalies tend to have the bigger advantage on penalty shots/shootouts than on breakaways for a few reasons. First off, the more a shooter thinks the more he'll overthink it and try and do too much; it doesn't take more than a decent shot to beat a goalie, see: Jokinen's patented blocker side shot 2 feet off the ice, there's no need for a triple deke, it just increases the chance you (as the shooter) will gently caress up somewhere and/or get a weak shot off. Second, if I know the skater is coming down from the red line I can start off my goal line and challenge as much (or as little) as I want and pace myself back to my crease and goal line. In a penalty shot I don't have to deal with the possibility he might pull and make a pass cross ice or that my defenseman will get a piece of the shot causing it to come off the stick at some weird angle and flutter over my shoulder or any other multitude of fluky happenings.

It's a lot easier as a goalie to know what's coming and be able to prepare for that instead of having an "oh poo poo he just blew by my defenders" moment where you might not be totally prepared for it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

nahanahs posted:

When play enters my end, I'm usually at least three feet in front of the crease to take advantage of my size. Quite often, this will freak out a skater and cause him to shoot very early.

Yeah, I'm just going to go around you if you come out this far, because I can move faster forwards than you can backwards. If I don't think I have time to get around you (defensive pressure, whatever), I'm passing the puck, and now it's an easy tap in cause you're too far out. In any case, if you're really far out of the net, I'm NEVER EVER going to shoot, because you're gonna stop it.

Another thing, you're more likely to have to move at some point if I hang onto the puck at all. One of my favourite moves on a goalie that comes out, especially if I'm coming down on my off wing, is is to cut to the middle in front of the d-man, forcing the goalie to start moving, at which point I shoot short-side.

Coming out to challenge is really a double edged sword.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

It's a lot easier as a goalie to know what's coming and be able to prepare for that instead of having an "oh poo poo he just blew by my defenders" moment where you might not be totally prepared for it.

Unless you play on my Thursday night team :haw:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to go around you if you come out this far, because I can move faster forwards than you can backwards. If I don't think I have time to get around you (defensive pressure, whatever), I'm passing the puck, and now it's an easy tap in cause you're too far out. In any case, if you're really far out of the net, I'm NEVER EVER going to shoot, because you're gonna stop it.

Wow you must play against goalies who can't skate.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

crusader donkey posted:

Wow you must play against goalies who can't skate.

Three feet out of the crease is a long loving way. Try backing into the crease while I'm skating full speed at you. I guarantee you that I'll have you hosed by either you backing too deep, or not enough while I'm coming in, whether there's a d-man in the way or not. I've got a long way to go, but you're gonna have to start moving, and by moving you open up. Even better, I'm trying to force you to move laterally just by hanging onto the puck. Ok, I'm not going to beat a goalie to the net from the blue line, but if I'm at speed in a shooting area (anything from the top of the circle and in), you're hosed.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

haha we have a clash of two confident hockey players.

Top of the circles and in constitutes a quality scoring chance and it's the defense's job to keep you out of there :colbert:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

crusader donkey posted:

haha we have a clash of two confident hockey players.

Top of the circles and in constitutes a quality scoring chance and it's the defense's job to keep you out of there :colbert:

Then why are you 3 feet out of the crease?

EDIT: My read of the whole situation is that what Martytoof originally described, and anybody else talked about, is during a decent (anywhere inside the top of the faceoff circles) scoring chance. If I'm mistaken, ok, fine.

E2: I almost said inside the ringette line, but then I realised some/most(?) people wouldn't know what I was talking about :haw:

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 4, 2008

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Ugh. Had a game where we lost 5-3 last night. I'm upset not so much because we lost, but because I played good... but not great. Our defense was playing really poorly, and the other team had some really good speed and good passing. They waltzed in to take unguarded shots as close as the bottom of the zone faceoff circle over a dozen times, and I stopped a majority of them.

But the goals that went in? I could have gotten all of them. Three of them I got a piece of the puck, but it squirted behind me. One of them I had challenged out of position. One I was completely screened on, as in my D-man's rear end was 6 inches from my face. I feel like my confidence is waning, and as a I result I'm not playing aggressive enough, which is what I do best. That just leads to problems. I mean I played solid... I made more quality blocker saves than I ever have, stopped every breakaway, and stopped a 2-0. But I feel like the edge wasn't there. That edge that ensures stupid goals don't go in.

I hate that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Someone posted an article on Henrik Lundqvist's workout regimen. It's from 2006 and while it doesn't go into too much detail, it does outline some of the types of exercises that he uses.

http://nymag.com/health/features/16629/

Do any of you use similar exercises while training or do you think the idea of trying to do medicine ball and cable exercises while in your stance, butterfly and half-butterfly isn't worth doing over traditional exercises?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I, uh, got a little upset at the game last night and smashed my stick against the crossbar.

Since I'm down to one stick now, I'm kind of thinking of taking my autographed Lalime stick and just taping it up to use in game. It's not like it'll ever be worth any money and it's a pretty good stick :unsmith:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

So I, uh, got a little upset at the game last night and smashed my stick against the crossbar.

Gah, I did that once, then I realized I looked like an rear end in a top hat. Sure felt good though.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Minister Robathan posted:

Another thing, you're more likely to have to move at some point if I hang onto the puck at all. One of my favourite moves on a goalie that comes out, especially if I'm coming down on my off wing, is is to cut to the middle in front of the d-man, forcing the goalie to start moving, at which point I shoot short-side.

Coming out to challenge is really a double edged sword.

Your hypothetical situation has defeated my experience :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Gah, I did that once, then I realized I looked like an rear end in a top hat. Sure felt good though.

Yeah. I really stunk it up last night, and to top it off I blew my cool. It felt good at the time until I realized that I'm unemployed and can't afford to drop $80 on a new stick :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Challenging as a goalie relies being confident in your defense. Well I mean you can do it, but prepare to be pissed off if your defense sucks at clearing rebounds and stopping passes.

• Locked thread