Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Ms. Fabulosity! posted:

How many times have you come home to the dog with it's tail between it's legs only to find out it pooped on the carpet/chewed up something/raided the fridge.
Never because my dogs are crate trained. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Fabulosity!
Aug 31, 2008

sucks to ur assmar posted:

Never because my dogs are crate trained. :haw:

:eng101: ............. :eng99:

I WISH I had known about crate training when I was a kid and for some reason put in charge of housebreaking 2 beagle pups, not the most positive/clean experience of my life.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Meow Cadet posted:

More of a comment that doesn't deserve a thread, not a question.

We asked our new neighbor to watch over the cats while we were out of town for a couple days. No biggie. But now our friendlier cat reeks of perfume. I hope it's just from snuggles, and not from the neighbor spraying the cats with poo poo. Do you think someone would do that?

It's probably just from her snuggling him. Whenever my mom comes over she insists I drag my 5 month old kitten out to see her and she'll always comment 'he smells like your boyfriend' even though he's my cuddle whore. Perhaps the kitten is cheating on me while I'm not looking. v:)v Some perfumes are really obnoxious and hang around. I used to share a desk with a woman (I worked PM shift she worked AM) and whenever I'd go to use the phone I could both smell and taste her perfume for a good half of my shift or more. If your kitty is acting fine I think you just got a decent neighbor who did more than just feed the cat and actually played and cuddled with him too.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Why does my 6(ish) year old Plott Hound hump her doggy bed?

Recently bought a big deluxe doggy bed for our Plott Hound and she has taken to occasionally humping it. She really only does it after we've moved the bed into a new room for her. She never humped any previous beds or really anything else. The new bed coincided with a move to a new house with no fence as of yet. RikkiTikkiTavi in PI IRC suggested that she may be bored, and that's certainly possible. Could this be an anxiety thing from the move? Only other thing I can think of is that this bed is a lot more substantial than her previous ones and is just more fun to hump.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
What would cause a toy breed puppy to fall over frequently, appear unfocused and sleepy all the time, then die a few days later?

A relative of mine got a Yorkshire terrier a few months ago. A "Teacup" one specifically, she was small enough to fit in the palm of a man's hand just barely spilling over when they got her and was expected to not get much bigger. I'm not entirely sure how old she was, apparently they didn't know, but she came from a breeder of some kind and not a pet store. :psyduck:

Anyway, the dog was.. well, they described it oddly, but from what I can gather, hypoglycemic. They were feeding her something from a dropper in between meals like the breeder recommended. She apparently ate very little, and wasn't lively at all. My grandparents met her two days prior to her death and said her head kept lolling back and that she seemed really out of it. Then, of course, she died.

So I was just wondering, what the hell causes that? Was it just the hypoglycemia? A weird mix of stuff caused by being the size of a guinea pig? Their new dog- they got a "replacement" from the breeder immediately after- is healthy and very active and cute. But she is much bigger than this other dog apparently was.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Silly Hippie posted:

What would cause a toy breed puppy to fall over frequently, appear unfocused and sleepy all the time, then die a few days later?

You answered your own question with one word:

Silly Hippie posted:

"Teacup"

In your whole post I didn't see the word 'vet' mentioned. Why would they not take a dog whose "head kept lolling back and that she seemed really out of it" to the vet immediately? This breeder is not a reputable breeder and is breeding and selling horribly unhealthy animals. I can't believe your grandparents got another one from them. These animals are bred to be so small their bodies can't support them. The way the breeder acted and tried to pass this off as 'hypoglycemia', selling and obviously unhealthy animal, in addition to the fact she's breeding 'teacups' alone screens horrible back yard breeder and your grandparents should take the dog back and get a refund. I'd bet dollars to donuts this dog will have issues as well. Get their money back and have them go to a reputable breeder. I'm sure they are attached to the dog already but ask them if they want to spend thousands on vet bills in the future to watch their fuzzy wuzzy wumpkins die a death that could have been prevented.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Silly Hippie posted:

So I was just wondering, what the hell causes that? Was it just the hypoglycemia? A weird mix of stuff caused by being the size of a guinea pig? Their new dog- they got a "replacement" from the breeder immediately after- is healthy and very active and cute. But she is much bigger than this other dog apparently was.
Very tiny dogs are prone to having hypoglycemia, and to me that is what it sounds like happened to the puppy. From the way you've said things happened, it sounds as though it was a rather obvious there was a problem, between the puppy not eating and it's lethargy- Like KilGrey said, did they bother bringing it to the vets?
If it was hypoglycemia I'm fairly certain it could have been easily revived with some IV fluids and a solid meal...Or they could have determined if it was a genetic problem, or caused by it being an undersized dog, and that proof could have helped get a refund back.

Unfortunately the crappy BYB likely has some contract that says if the puppy dies you're only allowed to get a replacement and not a refund. You might want to advise them that no responsible breeder uses the term "Teacup". Sure, toy breed dogs will have a large variety of size in a single litter and the runts can turn out exceptionally small, from a good breeder or a bad one, but no good breeder will use a special word to try and make an undersized pup worth dishing out a lot more money than any of the other pups.

Also I would highly recommend them getting some Nutri-cal ( http://www.amazon.com/Tomlyn-Nutri-Cal-4-25-oz-Tube/dp/B0002YFB44/ref=pd_sim_k_1/190-8302835-1263109 ) for the new puppy if they are keeping it. Even if it is acting healthy now it's good to keep the tiny puppies energy up. You can usually find it in most pet stores, I know my local PetSmart carries it. But more importantly, make sure they bring the next puppy to the vets ASAP for a check up if they plan on keeping it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Silly cat behavior: when our cat drinks from her water bowl, she tends to first hook a paw around the rim and shift it a little closer to her. She can approach the bowl from pretty much any side so it's not like it's hard for her to reach. I'm just curious, could this be a variation of some natural behavior (like trampling with the forepaws)?)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
We never crate-trained our dogs before; but now one of the three needs to be crated for about the next four weeks. Any tips on making it not seem like a punishment? Lucie barked for so long this morning she eventually started panting and fell asleep. We have food, water, a chew toy, and blankets in there with her. Any tips?

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

KilGrey posted:

You answered your own question with one word:

In your whole post I didn't see the word 'vet' mentioned. Why would they not take a dog whose "head kept lolling back and that she seemed really out of it" to the vet immediately? This breeder is not a reputable breeder and is breeding and selling horribly unhealthy animals. I can't believe your grandparents got another one from them. These animals are bred to be so small their bodies can't support them. The way the breeder acted and tried to pass this off as 'hypoglycemia', selling and obviously unhealthy animal, in addition to the fact she's breeding 'teacups' alone screens horrible back yard breeder and your grandparents should take the dog back and get a refund. I'd bet dollars to donuts this dog will have issues as well. Get their money back and have them go to a reputable breeder. I'm sure they are attached to the dog already but ask them if they want to spend thousands on vet bills in the future to watch their fuzzy wuzzy wumpkins die a death that could have been prevented.

Ah, sorry, I wasn't very clear- my grandparents saw the dog, they are not the owners. The owners are the people we spent Thanksgiving with, and I hadn't seen them since I was a little girl, and probably won't see them again for awhile. I don't think I have any sway when it comes to their returning the dog. I was just really wondering what the gently caress when they told me that.

Stickbug posted:

Very tiny dogs are prone to having hypoglycemia, and to me that is what it sounds like happened to the puppy. From the way you've said things happened, it sounds as though it was a rather obvious there was a problem, between the puppy not eating and it's lethargy- Like KilGrey said, did they bother bringing it to the vets?
If it was hypoglycemia I'm fairly certain it could have been easily revived with some IV fluids and a solid meal...Or they could have determined if it was a genetic problem, or caused by it being an undersized dog, and that proof could have helped get a refund back.

Unfortunately the crappy BYB likely has some contract that says if the puppy dies you're only allowed to get a replacement and not a refund. You might want to advise them that no responsible breeder uses the term "Teacup". Sure, toy breed dogs will have a large variety of size in a single litter and the runts can turn out exceptionally small, from a good breeder or a bad one, but no good breeder will use a special word to try and make an undersized pup worth dishing out a lot more money than any of the other pups.

I really don't know if they took it to a vet. It sounded like they were going totally on the advice of the breeder. They acknowledged when they were telling this story that the problem came from her being a teacup sized dog, and those having serious health issues. So they know that. It sounded like they were a little pissed off with the breeder, too. I don't think they'd have taken the second dog if they'd had the ability to just get a refund.

edit: in case you're wondering why I even asked, it's mostly because several of my family members (like my mom, who I do have more sway over than these folks) asked me (apparently I'm the resident dog expert? yeah right) for info about the breed because this dog was so ridiculously cute they all wanted one right now. Even my mom who hates dogs. God, it's really no wonder these breeders do so well.

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 30, 2008

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Ms. Fabulosity! posted:

I do disagree that dogs don't know when they have misbehaved. How many times have you come home to the dog with it's tail between it's legs only to find out it pooped on the carpet/chewed up something/raided the fridge. Dogs know what behaviors they do and do not get punished for, maybe not what is "right" and what is "wrong" but they certainly know what they get in trouble for.

That's retarded. If the dog has a logical capacity to "know" what it gets in trouble for then why would the dog not have the logical capacity to just not do it? You're anthropomorphizing and an idiot.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Lioness posted:

That's retarded. If the dog has a logical capacity to "know" what it gets in trouble for then why would the dog not have the logical capacity to just not do it? You're anthropomorphizing and an idiot.

Well, teenagers know what they get in trouble for and they still do it... :D

wprltndmcofjne
Oct 12, 2007
What are some "consequences" of having a cat? There's a stray that's been living in my neighborhood (I'm certain she doesn't belong to anybody) since around august/september and I want to take her in (I live in Michigan and it's starting to get really cold) but have never had a cat before.

A few things I can think of off the top of my head:
1) She'd probably get all over the kitchen counters until I had her trained not to, which hopefully I'll be able to do.
2) Litterbox. I'm also fine with this.

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of and just want to make sure I don't take her in and then kick her out on the street again. I also have a dog, male, 9 years old, Cocker Spaniel mutt (I've been told he looks like he has some Poodle somewhere in his ancestry or whatever). I have no idea how to introduce the two or if this would even be possible considering whenever the cat is in the backyard my dog goes crazy barking at her.

Is this stupid? I've grown pretty attached to the cat but don't want to endanger her. =(

Ms. Fabulosity!
Aug 31, 2008

wprltndmcofjne posted:

What are some "consequences" of having a cat? There's a stray that's been living in my neighborhood (I'm certain she doesn't belong to anybody) since around august/september and I want to take her in (I live in Michigan and it's starting to get really cold) but have never had a cat before.

A few things I can think of off the top of my head:
1) She'd probably get all over the kitchen counters until I had her trained not to, which hopefully I'll be able to do.
2) Litterbox. I'm also fine with this.

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of and just want to make sure I don't take her in and then kick her out on the street again. I also have a dog, male, 9 years old, Cocker Spaniel mutt (I've been told he looks like he has some Poodle somewhere in his ancestry or whatever). I have no idea how to introduce the two or if this would even be possible considering whenever the cat is in the backyard my dog goes crazy barking at her.

Is this stupid? I've grown pretty attached to the cat but don't want to endanger her. =(

1. Ssscat http://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html
2. Yeah, litterboxes suck, get the right litter though and it won't stink too bad, but you have to change it daily, ideally, every other day if you go on a bender. I love Natures Miracle, personally.

Other than that? Cats are next to no work. A lot of them could honestly not care whether or not you are around, and sleep the majority of the day. Make sure you get her *******FIXED******, on the right kind of food (check the nutrition thread) and you should be all set. Something else you might want to consider is your furniture, as they can scratch it up. This can usually be remedied with a scratching post but sometimes you will meet a cat that just HAS to sharpen on sofas, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

wprltndmcofjne posted:

What are some "consequences" of having a cat?

I think it's awesome you are thinking of taking in a stray. As far as the counter tops go, I wouldn't start with Sssscat. Get some double sided tape or just loop some regular tape around itself and line the edges of the counter with it. The first time kitty jumps up and feels it under her dainty toes she wont do it again. Aluminum foil I hear also works well as they hate the feel of it. If miss kitty decides she wants to use her claws on the couch you can use the same method on the edges she scratches on for a week. If she still wont relent after that and a spray bottle Soft Paws are really effective.

I honestly have never had an issue with the litterbox. I have a Litter Locker so every night before I go to bed I scoop out the clumps into the litter locker and go. It takes all of 5 minutes. And thankfully cats usually take to boxes right away so you'd at most have to show her where it is twice.

As far as your dog goes, take it slow. Just because the dog goes nuts outside when she sees a cat doesn't mean she'll do the same when the cat is inside. When I go on walks with my dog she thinks cats are there for her amusement and to be barked at and chased if she's off lead in my moms backyard. However it was completely different when we brought a cat into the apartment. She was more wary because it was on her territory and basically took the lead from me on the fact it was supposed to be there. I honestly don't think she had ever seen a cat up close before. Start with the kitty in your bedroom. This is good for kitty to so she's not so overwhelmed and after a day of them sniffing at the crack in the door exchange some bedding each has slept on so they get used to the smell. Then put your dog in the bedroom and let the cat out to the living room to explore and put the dog in the bedroom. After a day or so of them introduce them slowly and reassuringly. Have some place high the cat can go to escape from the dog and feel safe. If you don't want to invest into a cat tree you can put some towels or something down on a shelf or stack something up for her.

If in the end it doesn't work out you don't necessarily have to pitch the cat back outside. There are many shelters and other options to re-home the kitty. Cross that bridge if you have to come to it and let us know, someone here might be able to help you out.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
Do we need to take our cat to the vet or wait a few days?

We feed him 70g of diabetic dry food a day. 35g with his first injection and the rest with his 2nd injection.

Last week he seemed to go off his food a bit, he was still eating but not an awful lot and usually he's ravenous so I gave him a small amount of wet food just to check he was still hungry and he wolfed it down. The next day I found what we think was a hairball on the carpet (although it did look like poo) and his appetite came back.

For the past 2 days he's not been eating much of his dry food again but he's definitely still hungry as he ate the the small amount of wet food I gave him last night and he really wanted the chicken we had for tea (sorry buddy).

So he is still eating but not as much or as quickly as he usually does.

I'm wondering if he might have something wrong with his teeth or could he just have gone off his dry food?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

KilGrey posted:

I think it's awesome you are thinking of taking in a stray. As far as the counter tops go, I wouldn't start with Sssscat. Get some double sided tape or just loop some regular tape around itself and line the edges of the counter with it. The first time kitty jumps up and feels it under her dainty toes she wont do it again.

Seconding KilGrey here. A stray cat that's never so much as been inside a house is going to have the crap scared out of her by Sssscat and it'll probably stress her out and she'll feel like she has to hide from the kitchen itself. You don't want to put that kind of sudden stimulation on an animal during an adjustment period. Plus its expensive and not really necessary.

Double sided tape and aluminum are great, cheap ideas that have worked really well for me in the past, as does the good ol' spray bottle. You'd be surprised how effective one good squirt in the butt is when it comes to getting the cat down off of a counter. ;)

IMHO, Sssscat is only for people who aren't around all the time to correct the cat/have valuables they want to protect/ or are just too lazy to fill up a spray bottle and have it handy.

crazedgiggles
Jun 25, 2007

Black Ninja... AWAY!!
This may sound like a stupid question but it's been bothering me ever since I was attacked by a rottweiler.

Do dogs typically dislike being hugged (i.e. wrapping your arms around its neck/chest)? Or rather, does anyone else have dogs that might growl or react negatively to being hugged, or do they typically not mind this or it depends on the personality of the dog? I guess my basis for asking this question is trying to understand what might have motivated the dog to attack me when all I did was hug it gently; I don't know if my hugging it was some kind of doggie faux pas or if it bit me for some other reason.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
I wouldn't hug a dog unless I know it really well, and know what other kind of handling/touching that it accepts. I hug my guys all the time - they're used to it, and they know by now that it's just some weird human thing that is affectionate. A dog that doesn't know that would probably not be happy about it. It's a big invasion of space.

I work at a doggy daycare and out of 100+ dogs, most of whom I've known for at least 6 months, there are only a handful that I would be comfortable hugging. I've seen how their owners interact with them and how they interact with different dogs.

crazedgiggles
Jun 25, 2007

Black Ninja... AWAY!!
This dog was not mine, but belonged to my boyfriend's sister. I had known him (the dog) for about a year and he never once acted aggressively towards me and I had hugged him before. Something that day just set him off because there was no other warning he disliked what I was doing.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

crazedgiggles posted:

This dog was not mine, but belonged to my boyfriend's sister. I had known him (the dog) for about a year and he never once acted aggressively towards me and I had hugged him before. Something that day just set him off because there was no other warning he disliked what I was doing.

My mom has a two-inch scar on her head because forty-five years ago her cousin's very sweet Labrador had a hurt paw and she touched it. I have a nice triangle-shaped dent in my nose from my ex-boyfriend's total love-bug terrier getting overstimulated one evening and nipping me in just the wrong place. If it was an isolated incident, I'd say chalk it up to something you weren't aware of - dog was feeling ill, or something was causing anxiety, or you smelled like something that made it defensive. You may never be able to piece together what caused it.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
My mice died today, and I'm not sure why.

They were purchased from PetCo about two weeks ago after I checked out several stores in the area and decided they had the healthiest looking rodents. Two females, they had a 10 gallon tank with screen top, Carefresh bedding, working, non-leaking water bottle, wheel without mouse-foot-breaking openings, Kaytee Forti-Diet with occasional extra bits (slice of carrot, piece of dog food, cherrio and so on). They had a cardboard box house stuffed with an old sock and some paper towels.

Last night they were healthy and active. Clear eyes, eating, drinking, running on their wheel. Today, one was dead and the other was puffed up, felt 'sunken', and was having a hard time breathing (labored, occasional popping sound). I called PetCo and they told me to bring them both back in for a replacement/refund. They took the dead one and I figured from how they were talking they would euth the other but didn't have a clue as to what was wrong with them, just offered to give me two more.

So with those vague symptoms, does anyone have any guesses as to what happened? I'd love to get another pair once I've disinfected the cage to hell and back, but I don't want new mice to meet the same fate. RIP, girls.

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

I'm not a PI regular so forgive me for asking, but what is the consensus on the dremel-like nail grinders? My gf has a cat (12 lbs so big but definitely not fat) and I'm thinking of getting one for it for Christmas, but I'm not sure which one to go with and whether it's worth the money.

qlat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 1, 2008

Nessecitas
May 26, 2005

MURDER

qlat posted:

I'm not a PI regular so forgive me for asking, but what is the consensus on the dremel-like nail grinders? My gf has a cat (12 lbs so big but definitely not fat) and I'm thinking of getting one for it for Christmas, but I'm not sure which one to go with and whether it's worth the money.

I'm mostly a lurker, but I'll chime in here. I'd rather use regular clippers on our two cats. We have a grinder(the peticure) and both the scissor and guillotine type clippers and the clippers are a whole lot quicker.

I love it for our dog(11 lbs), who is a giant whiny bitch about having his nails done. But he doesn't have razor sharp knives on the ends of his toes.

If we had the grinder when Minerva was a kitten, and had acclimated her to it, it might not be so bad. But as it is she intensely dislikes the grinder, and struggles mightily and then huffs for a good 10 to 15 minutes longer than she does when you simply make her mad. We won't even try it on our other cat, he's a big wuss and is way too damned big to fight with(18 lbs) But all cats are different, her cat might not hate it. (It probably will)

edited to add comments on larger cat.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

crazedgiggles posted:

Do dogs typically dislike being hugged (i.e. wrapping your arms around its neck/chest)? Or rather, does anyone else have dogs that might growl or react negatively to being hugged, or do they typically not mind this or it depends on the personality of the dog? I guess my basis for asking this question is trying to understand what might have motivated the dog to attack me when all I did was hug it gently; I don't know if my hugging it was some kind of doggie faux pas or if it bit me for some other reason.

Like Umilele said the dog could have been out of sorts or not feeling well, or he could just not like feeling constricted. All dogs are different. Every morning when I wake up my 35lbs oaf jumps up and sits between my knees and I wrap my arms around her and hug her for a good 10 minutes and snuggle my face into the back of her neck before I get out of bed. It's our morning cuddle ritual. However one of the dogs I had growing up would have freak out at something like that. I think it made him feel trapped. I don't think you made a faux pas, just perhaps hit on something the dog wasn't comfortable with.

RabbitMage posted:

My mice died today, and I'm not sure why.

They were purchased from PetCo

Unfortunately I think the second sentence answers the first. PetCo isn't the best place to buy animals as they have a bad history of being unhealthy, regardless of how they look. Also, they don't exactly have the ability to 'euth' there so I'm just not going to think about what they did to that poor sick mouse. If your mice get sick in the future, take them to the vet. PetCo employs regular joes like you and me so trying to get advice from them really isn't very effective, especially when it comes to medical issues. Where do you live? I'm sure people here could point you to some rescues or other places you can get rodents that will have a better chance at healthy, long (in rodent years anyway) lives.

qlat posted:

I've found cats freak out at the sound of the grinder, not to mention the sensation. Unless you can acclimate the cat from a kitten to that sort of thing I don't think they'll ever feel 100% comfortable with it. Honestly for cats, I just use good old fashion nail clippers that you'd use on your nails, only held vertically. If the cats nails are clear and you can see the quick it's fast, easy and effective. I wouldn't waste money on one of the grinders for a kitty.

Lakshmi
Nov 28, 2006
Oh my God what the fuck is he?
I have a fake christmas tree up and my cats like to bury their face in it. I am currently trying to discourage them from eating the "leaves", but I found a patch of wetness with some green in it this morning, so I know they eat it. I did dip/soak the end of the branches with vinegar when I first put the tree up, but that seems to have worn off. I also spray a vinegar and water solution on them when I catch them eating it.

So, I know cats eating things is bad, but is it super dangerous for them to eat 1 inch of plastic-papery fake tree leaves?

I am super over-protective and worrisome about these cats!

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

Help, I'm really worried about the safety of my dog.

Some background: my sister and I have been living together for a while, and her boyfriend moved in with us back in January. He brought his cat, Carlee, with him. My sister already has a male cat named Zizou, who was fixed when she adopted him. He's about a year old now and Carlee is four. Carlee was fixed when she was brought to our apartment, so after some discomfort and wariness around Zizou, the two became friends and played together constantly, groomed each other, fell asleep curled up next to each other, etc.

However, things changed over the summer. Carlee ballooned to 15 pounds (without any change in diet) and started acting strangely. Every time Zizou tried to play with her, her ears flattened and she would hiss and growl. She started swiping at him whenever he got near, and spends most of her time sleeping and being alone.

About two weeks after this started happening, I adopted Poe, a three-month-old Maltese. He and Zizou became great friends and get along really well. Poe learned quickly to steer clear of Carlee, and does not mess with her. Sometimes she would swipe at him unprovoked, or growl and stalk him, but mostly she left him alone and he stayed out of her way.

Fast forward to today. I brought Poe to my hometown for Thanksgiving and we were out of town for about a week. When I got back yesterday, Carlee meowed at Poe threateningly and tried to stalk him, but he ran to me and I shooed her away. Things weren't too bad after that; she separated herself from the group while Poe and Zizou happily reunited. Poe slept in my room as usual that night.

This morning I had to go to class. I left Poe and the cats in the apartment as usual. Unfortunately, I received a text from my sister about an hour ago. When she got home, Poe had a bloody cut on his face. We believe Carlee is responsible. Now I'm really worried about leaving him alone with her and can't wait to get back in an hour so I can make sure she doesn't hurt him anymore.

I think Carlee is being territorial now since Poe's been away for so long. Her attacks are always unprovoked; Poe knows not to mess with her. I'm really angry and scared that Poe is really going to get hurt. He's only 7 lbs (he's at his full weight now), clearly much smaller than her, and very friendly; he's never, ever aggressive. What on earth can I do to keep this demon cat from hurting him?

(For the record, my sister's boyfriend has taken Carlee to the vet several times. We've put her on a diet, made sure she drinks plenty of water, and play with her every day. The vet is stumped as to what her problem could be.)

Please help!

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Noumena posted:

Help, I'm really worried about the safety of my dog.

Some background: my sister and I have been living together for a while, and her boyfriend moved in with us back in January. He brought his cat, Carlee, with him. My sister already has a male cat named Zizou, who was fixed when she adopted him. He's about a year old now and Carlee is four. Carlee was fixed when she was brought to our apartment, so after some discomfort and wariness around Zizou, the two became friends and played together constantly, groomed each other, fell asleep curled up next to each other, etc.

However, things changed over the summer. Carlee ballooned to 15 pounds (without any change in diet) and started acting strangely. Every time Zizou tried to play with her, her ears flattened and she would hiss and growl. She started swiping at him whenever he got near, and spends most of her time sleeping and being alone.

About two weeks after this started happening, I adopted Poe, a three-month-old Maltese. He and Zizou became great friends and get along really well. Poe learned quickly to steer clear of Carlee, and does not mess with her. Sometimes she would swipe at him unprovoked, or growl and stalk him, but mostly she left him alone and he stayed out of her way.

Fast forward to today. I brought Poe to my hometown for Thanksgiving and we were out of town for about a week. When I got back yesterday, Carlee meowed at Poe threateningly and tried to stalk him, but he ran to me and I shooed her away. Things weren't too bad after that; she separated herself from the group while Poe and Zizou happily reunited. Poe slept in my room as usual that night.

This morning I had to go to class. I left Poe and the cats in the apartment as usual. Unfortunately, I received a text from my sister about an hour ago. When she got home, Poe had a bloody cut on his face. We believe Carlee is responsible. Now I'm really worried about leaving him alone with her and can't wait to get back in an hour so I can make sure she doesn't hurt him anymore.

I think Carlee is being territorial now since Poe's been away for so long. Her attacks are always unprovoked; Poe knows not to mess with her. I'm really angry and scared that Poe is really going to get hurt. He's only 7 lbs (he's at his full weight now), clearly much smaller than her, and very friendly; he's never, ever aggressive. What on earth can I do to keep this demon cat from hurting him?

(For the record, my sister's boyfriend has taken Carlee to the vet several times. We've put her on a diet, made sure she drinks plenty of water, and play with her every day. The vet is stumped as to what her problem could be.)

Please help!
Crate train your pup for his own safety. It really is that easy.

http://www.lunarprincess.com/pi_faq/dog-faq.html#crate

allhailshatner
Mar 24, 2007

Don't engage the shields to your heart...
My puppy Leia is about 8 months old and she has a big problem being around people she doesn't know. She's amazingly well behaved otherwise and is very obedient. I understand that dogs of this age can be very shy for a number of reasons and she might just grow out of it. She's great around other dogs though and warms up to them pretty quickly.

I've read quite a few things online about socializing puppies to humans and I know it is a long process but I was wondering if anyone has any advice in order to make the process as painless for Leia as possible. Thanks in advance.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Paul E. Waug posted:

In addition, put SoftPaws on Carlee or else file her nails. Should end the problem.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

allhailshatner posted:

My puppy Leia is about 8 months old and she has a big problem being around people she doesn't know. She's amazingly well behaved otherwise and is very obedient. I understand that dogs of this age can be very shy for a number of reasons and she might just grow out of it. She's great around other dogs though and warms up to them pretty quickly.

I've read quite a few things online about socializing puppies to humans and I know it is a long process but I was wondering if anyone has any advice in order to make the process as painless for Leia as possible. Thanks in advance.

Invite friend over. when friend gets there hand the friend lots of yummy stinky treats (treats are for Leia not the friend). Have friend give Leia yummy stinky treats. Keep doing doing that until Leia realizes that people = yummy stinky treats = good.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Paul E. Waug posted:

Invite friend over. when friend gets there hand the friend lots of yummy stinky treats (treats are for Leia not the friend). Have friend give Leia yummy stinky treats. Keep doing doing that until Leia realizes that people = yummy stinky treats = good.

This is great advice but just to clarify/add on; she might not want to take a treat from their hand. If she won't take the treats from a stranger, have the person first sit down, and make no eye contact with Leia. Then have them throw the treat not at her, but near her. Then have the person slowly toss the treats closer and closer to where they are sitting, and she should follow the treats.

I have a 2.5 yr old Pom that came to me very skittish of new people, so I feel your pain, but treats really do the trick. You just have to do it every loving single time you go anywhere/meet new people/etc. Keep the treats consistent with the arrival of new person and she'll start to associate them in no time, and if you stay with it, you should have a consistent happy response from her.

I should add that you may have to keep it up throughout her lifespan, at least to some extent, depending on how scared she is. She's young, so she should pick it up easily, but my dog still needs to have a stranger give him a treat every now and again. ;)

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 1, 2008

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007
There you go picking up my slack again Thanks CF.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Paul E. Waug posted:

There you go picking up my slack again Thanks CF.

I got yer back dude. :hfive: (I'm all over this thread today because I'm hella bored)

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

Paul E. Waug posted:

I did crate train Poe for several months, and it worked out very well for housetraining. However, no matter what I did, he was never comfortable in the crate, and gets extremely anxious when he's in there -- crying and howling and even pooping in it after a very short time when normally he can last up to six hours between eliminations. I never left him in the crate longer than three hours at a time during the day, and then seven hours at night (getting up halfway to take him outside), and yet his anxiety never went away.

Trust me, I lined it with a t-shirt that smelled like me and put in soft toys, a stuffed kong, a ticking clock, a hot water bottle, left the radio on, left the TV on, etc (not all at once, of course), and he never stopped crying. He cried for hours, and I tried sticking it out for weeks and weeks, only letting him out when he stopped crying briefly, etc. He would literally cry and bark for hours.

Crating is a great system, and it works really well for most dogs, but for some reason Poe just never grew to like it. I've asked vets, breeders, and other dog owners for advice. Every dog is different, I guess.

If it gets right down to it and crating is necessary to ensure his safety, I'll retrain him of course. However, I would really like to find a better solution in the meantime, like either solving Carlee's issues or asking my sister's boyfriend to send her back to his parents' house if necessary.

Captain Foxy posted:

In addition, put SoftPaws on Carlee or else file her nails. Should end the problem.

That's a great idea, I'll look into it immediately.

The Backslasher
May 1, 2005
Verbing is fun.
My dog died (old age) a few months ago and I've been thinking lately that I'd like to have another one, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to commit for ten-fifteen more years right away, so I was looking into fostering either for the local shelter or maybe a breed rescue. Does anyone have any advice for taking care of foster dogs? Should I get an adjustable crate, in case I get different sizes of dog? If so, is there a specific kind that's really good?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Backslasher posted:

My dog died (old age) a few months ago and I've been thinking lately that I'd like to have another one, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to commit for ten-fifteen more years right away, so I was looking into fostering either for the local shelter or maybe a breed rescue. Does anyone have any advice for taking care of foster dogs? Should I get an adjustable crate, in case I get different sizes of dog? If so, is there a specific kind that's really good?

Don't know if you've thought about it, but you could adopt an older dog. There are tons of "experienced" dogs out there looking for families.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

The Backslasher posted:

It's great that you're thinking about fostering. I've been fostering for quite a while as I'm sure many other PIers have. I would definetly suggest getting an adjustable crate, I got mine off of ebay a 48" for 70 shipped, also try craigslist for an affordable crate option. I foster for the local SPCA here and they are generally really nice and understanding that you're helping them out and always let me pick which dog I want to work with for the next few months. I mostly do heart worm dogs, but I have also done youg npuppies who's mom died. If you have any more questions feel free to AIM me or PM me or whatever.

Diocenes
Jul 18, 2003
Bad Drummer

Noumena posted:

I did crate train Poe for several months, and it worked out very well for housetraining. However, no matter what I did, he was never comfortable in the crate, and gets extremely anxious when he's in there -- crying and howling and even pooping in it after a very short time when normally he can last up to six hours between eliminations. I never left him in the crate longer than three hours at a time during the day, and then seven hours at night (getting up halfway to take him outside), and yet his anxiety never went away.

Trust me, I lined it with a t-shirt that smelled like me and put in soft toys, a stuffed kong, a ticking clock, a hot water bottle, left the radio on, left the TV on, etc (not all at once, of course), and he never stopped crying. He cried for hours, and I tried sticking it out for weeks and weeks, only letting him out when he stopped crying briefly, etc. He would literally cry and bark for hours.

Crating is a great system, and it works really well for most dogs, but for some reason Poe just never grew to like it. I've asked vets, breeders, and other dog owners for advice. Every dog is different, I guess.

If it gets right down to it and crating is necessary to ensure his safety, I'll retrain him of course. However, I would really like to find a better solution in the meantime, like either solving Carlee's issues or asking my sister's boyfriend to send her back to his parents' house if necessary.

That's a great idea, I'll look into it immediately.

If your dog is that anxious in the crate, I'd guess its that sort of anxiety that's fueling the problems with the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Debating making another thread for this but I'll see what help can be found here first, I'm at a loss!

My Old Cat
So, we took in my uncle's 18 year old cat, Church, when the family's house was foreclosed. He's been at the house for about 3-4 months now and integrated great. Does well with the other cats, does well with food, does fine with the litter box, and does fine not being outside at all.

Church is a good boy, getting frail (due to being 90% outdoors his entire life). He has bad arthrits in his hind legs but he can still "jog", jump, and walk up and down stairs fine. He's pretty much not much different from our other cats. Talks a lot, eats fine on a schedule, etc.

The problem: He cannot poop in a litter box all of a sudden!

I think the problem arose when we closed him out of one of the bedrooms. When he was first introduced to the house he was confined in an empty bedroom for a few days and then let loose on the house, but that room remained his "base" for a few weeks. Then when we found out I had to move back home due to money problems, he needed to be out of that empty bedroom and his "base" was moved to a second empty bedroom.

So three weeks before the move, we began slowly moving him out of that room. First moving his bed, then feeding him elsewhere, then moving the litter box, and finally closing the room off. The transition went fine at first but after that door closed, he was a lost cause. He began pooping everywhere. Next to the litter box, on the bathroom rug, in the bathtub, on beds, on the kitchen rug, in the hall.

The weird thing: he does still pee in the boxes, so he knows they're there, and he CAN use them. We have 5 cats and 4 litter boxes (1 covered, 3 uncovered). Litter boxes are cleaned twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. So I know it isn't a case of dirty boxes or just not enough of them.

Ideas?

tldr: Old cat who was previously only outdoors, integrated indoors just fine, used litter boxes fine but now all of a sudden does not poop in litter boxes. But pees in them fine.