Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
Whoa- I've read through dozens of pages in this thread and jotted down some good ideas, but I'd still like to run a few things by you all. I just picked up my first bike this Summer and have so far accumulated the following gear;

Hot weather:
Sidi Scorpion Air Boots
Alpinestars ACR Air-Flo Mesh Jacket
Cortech by Tour Master Accelerator Series 2 Gloves
Joe Rocket Big Bang Gloves (gifted)

Cool/Wet:
Sidi Sport Rain Boots
Cortech by Tour Master GX Sport Series 2 Textile Jacket

I'm currently living near Boston and the temperatures range from below-zero in the wintertime up to 90s in the Summer. With a $200 giftcard to newenough burning a hole in my pocket, I was hoping to hear your opinions on the best way to round out my collection.

I've gone to the local bike shop to try on various bike pants, but none of them fit my tiny twig legs. Because of this, I was thinking of picking up some under armor like the Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards to provide some support under my jeans.

As far as the jackets go, the mesh fits money but the GX Sport is hugemongous and, I think, should be replaced. I bought this before I took the MSF and didn't understand fitment as well as I do now. It's OK when the liner is in, so maybe I will keep it for cold-as-balls riding, but I'm going to need something better for mild weather riding. All the gear I have now is black/gray/white since I'm not into flash, and I'd like to pick up a leather jacket in this color scheme to replace it. Any suggestions? I think I should stick to Alpinestars since I know their cut fit my body better than the other brands, but I'm open to all suggestions and price doesn't matter as long as it will last.

Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I have a pair of those Alpine Reflex Knee Guards and the knee cups are just huge on them. I suppose you try to bend them with a heatgun to make them conform more to your knees. I'd be willing to sell you mine cheap, they're unused but I'm not sure how much shipping would be.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
You might wanna check out the Icon Field Armor Leggings. I've got a pair and they work fantastic.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1666&id=7041

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
So anyone have a favorite pair of gloves for the cold? I've tried several different cheap sets of gloves and haven't really found anything that works great yet. I was going to order some real riding gloves online since my local bike shop doesn't carry any cold weather ones, but it's hard to decide without trying them on. So far the coldest it's been on my way to work was 19 degrees and the commuter gloves I got at Walmart didn't do so well. My fingers hurt pretty bad by the time I got to work. So yeah, I could use some better gloves. Nothing thicker than what I've got, but I'm guessing the more expensive gloves use better materials to achieve warmth without going thicker. Armor would also be nice, that's why I was looking at riding gloves. The cheap Walmart commuter gloves have none. They were only $8 though... It would be nice if they had temperature ratings on gloves so you know how well they hold up to the cold.

Whatever gloves I pick will hopefully not be too expensive, I still need to get some pants. I'm still wearing my insulated work pants (I work in a refrigerated warehouse) with a pair of windbreaker pants over them. No armor there either, but they're pretty thick. Sadly my local shop only carries leather chaps. Yeah, not wearing that. Haven't ordered any pants yet since I don't know the sizing. Blah.

Btw, those Icon gloves look pretty badass. Too bad they're so expensive!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

redscare posted:

Seeing as I'm a long way away from needing kneepucks, I'll save myself the 65 bucks and get the cheaper ones. Thanks.

So the pants finally arrived today. Look pretty solid and made in the Ukraine ( :ussr: ) of all places. How much of a bitch is it to find a tailor that can swap zippers so that I can zip them to my non-matching jacket and what dollar figure would I be looking at?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

So the pants finally arrived today. Look pretty solid and made in the Ukraine ( :ussr: ) of all places. How much of a bitch is it to find a tailor that can swap zippers so that I can zip them to my non-matching jacket and what dollar figure would I be looking at?

Shouldn't be more than about 20$. Any tailor should be able to do it.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

redscare posted:

Cost me $40 for an 8inch zipper :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

redscare posted:

Send em to my mom she would probably do it for free :c00lbert:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

QnoisX posted:

So anyone have a favorite pair of gloves for the cold? I've tried several different cheap sets of gloves and haven't really found anything that works great yet. I was going to order some real riding gloves online since my local bike shop doesn't carry any cold weather ones, but it's hard to decide without trying them on. So far the coldest it's been on my way to work was 19 degrees and the commuter gloves I got at Walmart didn't do so well. My fingers hurt pretty bad by the time I got to work. So yeah, I could use some better gloves. Nothing thicker than what I've got, but I'm guessing the more expensive gloves use better materials to achieve warmth without going thicker. Armor would also be nice, that's why I was looking at riding gloves. The cheap Walmart commuter gloves have none. They were only $8 though... It would be nice if they had temperature ratings on gloves so you know how well they hold up to the cold.

Whatever gloves I pick will hopefully not be too expensive, I still need to get some pants. I'm still wearing my insulated work pants (I work in a refrigerated warehouse) with a pair of windbreaker pants over them. No armor there either, but they're pretty thick. Sadly my local shop only carries leather chaps. Yeah, not wearing that. Haven't ordered any pants yet since I don't know the sizing. Blah.

Btw, those Icon gloves look pretty badass. Too bad they're so expensive!

How long is your ride to work? The cheapo gloves I got from Target a few weeks ago kept my hands in a manageable temp for about 30 minutes before the fingertips got numb. Those were only 15 bucks and had thinsulate linings.

I also just got some alpinestars winter riding gloves, but I havent been on the bike yet to test them out in the cold. They were 40 on clearance.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

How long is your ride to work? The cheapo gloves I got from Target a few weeks ago kept my hands in a manageable temp for about 30 minutes before the fingertips got numb. Those were only 15 bucks and had thinsulate linings.

I also just got some alpinestars winter riding gloves, but I havent been on the bike yet to test them out in the cold. They were 40 on clearance.

Not that long, about 15 minutes. The cheap Walmart gloves work okay when it's above 30 degrees or so, but under that and my hands get really cold, really fast. I go to work at 5am, so it usually the coldest part of the day. Lately the temps have varied a good bit from day to day, so it's not always a problem. One day it'll be 48 and the next it will be in the 20s. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on winter gloves since it's not that long of a ride and during the day when I head home it's not a problem. I usually switch to my leather gloves since they're much thinner. So mainly I just need some gloves for the super cold days and if they're not really thick I could wear them on the ride home as well.

If you get a chance to try out your gloves, be sure to tell me what you think. $40 isn't a bad price compared to most of the ones I was looking at. Oh and be sure to remember what the temperature is if you go riding in them.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

QnoisX posted:

Not that long, about 15 minutes. The cheap Walmart gloves work okay when it's above 30 degrees or so, but under that and my hands get really cold, really fast. I go to work at 5am, so it usually the coldest part of the day. Lately the temps have varied a good bit from day to day, so it's not always a problem. One day it'll be 48 and the next it will be in the 20s. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on winter gloves since it's not that long of a ride and during the day when I head home it's not a problem. I usually switch to my leather gloves since they're much thinner. So mainly I just need some gloves for the super cold days and if they're not really thick I could wear them on the ride home as well.

If you get a chance to try out your gloves, be sure to tell me what you think. $40 isn't a bad price compared to most of the ones I was looking at. Oh and be sure to remember what the temperature is if you go riding in them.

Well it is like 29 and snowing today. Big company meeting at work, might get home around 9ish. If I have enough time I will head over to the school for some low speed tooting.

I could also just drive home with the glove on my hand and my arm sticking out the window :v:

edit: these are themses http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-st-1-drystar-gloves

edit edit: it is like 26 outside and the puddles have frozen over. No way I am going out today.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 2, 2008

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Ah well, whenever you get a chance. Those gloves actually look a lot like the cheap Walmart gloves that I bought, but I'm sure they're made of better materials. Pretty sure it's the wind that chills my hands, since I wore the gloves in the freezer at work and they kept my hands nice and toasty. It's -10 degrees in there.

edit: Hmm...trying to find the glove I have on Walmart's site, but no go. Google isn't helping either. I'd just take a picture, but they're black, so not the best for a camera phone. Anyways, they're Thermolite commuter gloves. Dunno the weight of insulation in them, that seems to be the biggest factor in keeping you warm.

QnoisX fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2008

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Got my boots today. Ordered the size I needed and they arrived with the correct toe spacing but somewhat loose around the foot. Are most boots designed for a thicker sock?

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Dunno, I just got some steel-toed work boots with non-slip, oil resistant soles from a shoe store. They fit like standard shoes...and I can wear them at work instead of switching out shoes, so bonus. Grizzy is the brand I think.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Picked up a new helmet a few days back:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

My thoughts on it?

Visor change mechanism is...interesting. More of a PITA than the Arai, which is something I thought I'd never say.

It whistles sometimes, depending on the wind and windshield of the bike...it's a little louder than my arai.

It's .6 ounces lighter than my Arai, nice and light.

Visor quality and finish of the helmet is fantastic. Has pretty much the same viewport setup as my Arai did...slightly constrained at the top and bottom with good peripheral visibility.

The paint is beautiful, pictures really don't do it justice. It seems to handle wind and buffeting fairly well, but I'll know for sure when I take it to the track next season.

Their trippy irridium/photoextremez visor is kinda cool. You can see it in the top of the 3rd pic. Not sure if I'm sold on it, and it's not replacing the dark smoke as a daylight visor, but it does seem to help in situations of poor visibility and increase contrast on the road when you're riding at night. I like it more than a clear for night riding, but not as much as the dark smoke for day riding.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

QnoisX posted:

So anyone have a favorite pair of gloves for the cold? I've tried several different cheap sets of gloves and haven't really found anything that works great yet.
That's because most cheap gloves are terrible. If it becomes unbearable and you really need some heavy duty gloves, the Tour Master Winter Elites are pretty boss.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/tour_master/winter_elite_motorcycle_gloves.html

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Suomy lid

That thing goes well with your orange Z1000 too

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

redscare posted:

That thing goes well with your orange Z1000 too
It also goes well with listening to Dark Side of the Moon on a rollercoaster after dropping some acid. A friend of mine has one of these Valentino Rossi helmets. He said he was trying to find a jacket that matched. I told him to raid St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Too bad it's not actually my Z1000...:xd:

My helimot gloves after a 40mph lowside. Still good. Also, I'm getting them modified to double up on the amount of padding on the top.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

rope kid posted:

That's because most cheap gloves are terrible. If it becomes unbearable and you really need some heavy duty gloves, the Tour Master Winter Elites are pretty boss.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/tour_master/winter_elite_motorcycle_gloves.html

Those do look pretty nice. Have you worn them in cold weather? How cold? I might have to see if I can con someone into getting them for me for Christmas.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Too bad it's not actually my Z1000...:xd:

Details...

rope kid posted:

listening to Dark Side of the Moon on a rollercoaster after dropping some acid

This seems like a very, very bad idea

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

rope kid posted:

It also goes well with listening to Dark Side of the Moon on a rollercoaster after dropping some acid. A friend of mine has one of these Valentino Rossi helmets. He said he was trying to find a jacket that matched. I told him to raid St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club.

Loud helmets save lives!

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

QnoisX posted:

gloves

Not a pair of gloves per se, but I've heard good things about these-

http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

redscare posted:

Details...

It is his boyfriend's girlfriend's.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheFonz posted:

It is his boyfriend's girlfriend's.

That wasn't a question :D

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I just felt like clarifying.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

EvilDonald posted:

I saw these everywhere in Israel. Mostly on scooters, because I mostly saw scooters, but plenty of bikes had them too.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

QnoisX posted:

Those do look pretty nice. Have you worn them in cold weather? How cold? I might have to see if I can con someone into getting them for me for Christmas.
I've had them on in ~30 degree F temps riding on the freeway on a naked bike. After a few hours, it gets rough, but it's good otherwise.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

EvilDonald posted:

Hmm...well for my bike those are like $65. A bit more and I can get those nice gloves. Besides, they'd probably get stolen if I left them on the bike. If I'm taking them on and off I might as well wear good gloves. Oh and I'm a new rider, so being able to look down at the controls is handy.

rope kid posted:

I've had them on in ~30 degree F temps riding on the freeway on a naked bike. After a few hours, it gets rough, but it's good otherwise.

Cool, sounds good! I might order those soon. Thinking about getting some pants too. If anyone has one of those 10% off coupons, I have PMs and gratitude! :)

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I picked up a new helmet a few weeks ago because it's both DOT and ECE 22.05 certified. The brand is called Sparx, which is owned or operated by KBC but the subdivision is specifically designated as "By riders, for riders." Anyway, I liked the ECE Cert and the paint scheme so I got it. I haven't gone riding since I got it, but my initial thoughts are that at about $100 shipped to me, it was a great deal.

My gripes are the visor mechanism quality could be better, the foam around the neck area is tight, especially when putting the helmet on and the liner could be a bit softer like the nicer brands.

What I do like is the paint scheme (goes with my bike and gear), shell size is smaller than my other helmets of the same size, has vents in the visor like some Shoeis, ECE certification is preferred over DOT and it came with both a clear and dark smoked visor (special editions only FYI), 5 year replacement plan (just send em an accident police report and they'll replace it free) and once again, ~$100 shipped to my house.

And a picture (not mine):

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone own a helmet from the KBC VR-1X line? I'm thinking of getting the Lightning Force: http://www.revzilla.com/product/kbc-vr-1x-light-force-helmet

From their sizing chart, they seem to run the exact same sizing as HJC. My current HJC is too big, and always was, so I'm assuming I can go one size down on the KBC and be OK.

Anyone have anything to say about the VR-1X (good/bad/other) or its sizing as it relates to HJC?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I've been offered gear as Christmas presents by concerned family members. I like dorky high-visibility yellow jackets. I'm riding an EX500 right now, but plan on getting a dual-sport sometime in the far-off future. That said, I really like the 'adventure' style textile jackets and I wouldn't feel too out of place wearing one on a Ninja for now. The problem with my current jacket is that it bunches up and just really doesn't fit right around my chest or waist. Even when it's zipped to my pants this is a problem.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a dorky yellow jacket. I have Rocket pants and it'd be nice if it zips to them, but not necessary. The weather around here only gets down to the low 40s, but can go up to the high 80s occasionally. The vast majority of the time it's in the low 50s. It can also rain pretty hard, but if I'm getting a jacket designed for adventure riding that's probably not something to worry about.

I'm also helmet shopping, I'm looking for something white and Snell approved. All my helmets have been from HJC because they're reasonably priced and the medium size is almost a perfect fit to my head. It's not a requirement though, since this could be a gift.

Preferably neither run over $350 or so, I don't want to make my family broke :D.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

For $290, you could get the hi-vis yellow version of my "adventure"-style jacket, the Olympia AST.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

It's really, really bright yellow. I'm not joking. You may be thinking, "Yeah, okay yellow, got it." Seriously, this thing is super-duper-foil-Green-Lantern yellow. You have to prepare yourself for how yellow it is. I was not prepared, and had to return mine for a grey jacket.

That's the only "good" jacket of that type in that price range. Aerostich's stuff is in the $500 range and BMW Rallye jackets are fffffffffffffffffffffffff

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

For $290, you could get the hi-vis yellow version of my "adventure"-style jacket, the Olympia AST.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

It's really, really bright yellow. I'm not joking. You may be thinking, "Yeah, okay yellow, got it." Seriously, this thing is super-duper-foil-Green-Lantern yellow. You have to prepare yourself for how yellow it is. I was not prepared, and had to return mine for a grey jacket.

That's the only "good" jacket of that type in that price range. Aerostich's stuff is in the $500 range and BMW Rallye jackets are fffffffffffffffffffffffff

What do you think of the Tourmaster Transition II? Are they lesser?

I'm thinking about getting a new pair of glasses and I'm wondering what the heck to do about shades. I know photochromic lenses don't work in cars, because not enough UV reaches them to activate the effect. Do they work in helmets?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Phy posted:

What do you think of the Tourmaster Transition II? Are they lesser?
I don't have any experience with that jacket, but on paper the denier count on the Transition 2 is lower.

Here's an ADVrider thread on the Transition:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104876&highlight=transition

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Really dumb question:

I have a Shoei RX100 ($75 at a pawnshop, no damaged or notable wear to liner), which has rear vents but no front vent, and it steams up whenever I'm not in motion unless I breathe out through my nose. Is that just to be expected, "breathe out through nose when stopped"?

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

it steams up whenever I'm not in motion unless I breathe out through my nose. Is that just to be expected, "breathe out through nose when stopped"?

When I'm stopped for a while or just puttering around in first gear my visor will want to fog up like that. I just crack it to the first click and close it back down when I get up to speed again where the vents can do their job. For short lights I'd simply keep on breathing through the nose, otherwise you'll end up constantly flipping the visor up and down.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anyone here use the Apple in-hear headphones? I currently have some Shure E2Cs that are worn out and I'm trying to find something that will be a little more comfortable and easier to keep in my ear.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Phy posted:

I'm thinking about getting a new pair of glasses and I'm wondering what the heck to do about shades. I know photochromic lenses don't work in cars, because not enough UV reaches them to activate the effect. Do they work in helmets?

My clear visor blocks UV rays. I'm pretty all visors out there block UV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

My clear visor blocks UV rays. I'm pretty all visors out there block UV.

Some of them do, some of them don't...how do I know that? Visor sunburn/tan lines. :mad: