Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
A light coating of lithium grease or graphite spray will keep the zippers happy and Scotch-guarding the seams once in a while will give even the cheapest tops some added life.

I'm not sure what constitutes 'redone interior' but the seats don't look stock for that trim package. They could just be covers, but it's hard to tell. The floorboards also look very dark... it may have been spray-lined (a good thing). But this is all just speculation from my general knowledge of Sahara packages. V:shobon:V

YJ's are pretty solid for the most part and '95 was the last production year so 5K for that low of miles is very decent, especially with the I6 and a manual tranny. They were also very popular for towing around behind motorhomes, so don't let low miles be too big of a red flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple E
Oct 1, 2008

by Peatpot
Man, I love my TJ, but I have to say I love the interior of the YJ. All those gauges across most of the dashboard just look so loving no-nonsense.

Thanks for the help on the door hinge thing, guys. I found this guy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...A1%7C240%3A1318

And am thinking of picking these up and just replacing the existing hinges. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is this going to be anything more than just popping the old hinges off and screwing on the new?

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.

Edit: Har, har. Point taken.

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 29, 2008

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
"This vehicle is a piece of crap, do you think it's worth it guys?"

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

nanodroogie posted:

Edit: Har, har. Point taken.

I saw your post before the edit and you're probably going to have to compromise at some point. On the rare occasion that a Wrangler is in really good shape, chances are the owners or dealership are asking more than what it's really worth. If it's a good deal, chances are it's been beaten to hell or generally neglected. They are also seasonal vehicles that people buy on a whim for summer and then dump in the winter, so there's tons of them out there. You just have to decide what you really want out of one specifically and then hold yourself to it. YJ's are tons easier to work on than TJ's and the aftermarket stuff is usually a bit cheaper as well, even if it's the same component.

A lot of people prefer the I6 because they usually upgrade to bigger tires at some point which really bogs down an I4 on the highway. Sure they have shorter gears in the axles, but the I6 has a huge advantage in torque to make that up with. As they say, "there's no replacement for displacement". Of course unless you lift it, 31's are going to max out your wheel wells anyway. I had an AX-15 which never caused a problem, but I don't know anything about the AX-5 or its reliability concerns.

Triple E posted:

Man, I love my TJ, but I have to say I love the interior of the YJ. All those gauges across most of the dashboard just look so loving no-nonsense.

Thanks for the help on the door hinge thing, guys. I found this guy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...2|39:1|240:1318

And am thinking of picking these up and just replacing the existing hinges. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is this going to be anything more than just popping the old hinges off and screwing on the new?

A lot of TJ owners I know like it better, too. It's simple, effective and doesn't make you feel like you're driving a mini-van. Very utilitarian.

It should be that simple, however Torx bolts can be a bitch to remove sometimes. I believe mine were even painted while already installed at the factory, so they were even more stuck in place. You're not replacing the hinge receivers on the body?

Triple E
Oct 1, 2008

by Peatpot

Philip J Fry posted:

A lot of TJ owners I know like it better, too. It's simple, effective and doesn't make you feel like you're driving a mini-van. Very utilitarian.

It should be that simple, however Torx bolts can be a bitch to remove sometimes. I believe mine were even painted while already installed at the factory, so they were even more stuck in place. You're not replacing the hinge receivers on the body?

Yes, utilitarianism. Why did the designers ever get away from the KISS philosophy when it comes to Wranglers? As much as I wish mine was a YJ, I'm just so happy it's not a JK. Lord, I hate that interior (and the new body style)!

I hadn't planned to replace the hinge recievers on the body of the Wrangler unless necessary. I'd have to find a source for those, as well (as you can see, the ebay listing is only for the door portion of the hinge.) Will this be a problem? In case you missed the earlier post, my main concern is that the current hinges have become loosed in some way (and I am missing the nut on the passenger side). This has led to a very annoying squeak/rattle noise.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Triple E posted:

Yes, utilitarianism. Why did the designers ever get away from the KISS philosophy when it comes to Wranglers? As much as I wish mine was a YJ, I'm just so happy it's not a JK. Lord, I hate that interior (and the new body style)!

I hadn't planned to replace the hinge recievers on the body of the Wrangler unless necessary. I'd have to find a source for those, as well (as you can see, the ebay listing is only for the door portion of the hinge.) Will this be a problem? In case you missed the earlier post, my main concern is that the current hinges have become loosed in some way (and I am missing the nut on the passenger side). This has led to a very annoying squeak/rattle noise.

I don't know either. DC went all sorts of crazy with their designs... I mean ditching the Cherokee for the Compass? :psyduck: Agreed about the JK's. I haven't seen that much plastic since the Chevy Avalanche. Love the sideways CRX-inspired exhaust and hanging shock mounts that look like they're begging to be destroyed on small rocks.

Ah, I missed the earlier post. So long as the hinge stems fit into the receivers okay, they should be fine. Maybe even thread the new bolts with some blue Loctite to be sure they don't come loose.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My friend finally got around to fixing his Jeep he bought for $650. Snapped a few lovely cell-phone shots because I figured you guys would appreciate 'em regardless!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just make sure your friend gets the spacing correct on the differential, I have heard some bad stories about if the spacing isn't correct the gears will eat themselves alive.

Having had to go through one axle already, I'd hate to have your friend shear his out

To clarify, I mean the spacing on the rack and pinion gears

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
ONE of the projects I have lined up on my YJ is replacing the gauges. There is a replacement cluster that mounts aftermarket gauges at an angle facing the driver, the gauge furtherest away is angled more then the closest gauge and the ones in between angle slightly more as you move away from the driver.

The main problem with replacing the stock cluster is the goddamn fuckass copper/plastic trace poo poo they used to send gauge signal. Which is the main reason gauges in YJs are usually all hosed up.

I have figured out all the wiring colors and will replace the clock with a trans temp gauge.

I think the gauges would be around 200 dollars and the new bezel/cluster 60. I figure 280 for the whole project.

This is of course if I decide to stay with the factory look. I am contemplating removing the glove box and guage cluster and having a "flat dash" from the speedo over to the passenger side dash pad. Keeping the factory heat/air controls and radio position. But that would take some sheet metal work I don't know if I want to gently caress with.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Legitimate posted:

How are those u-joints doing? It is true that the "correct" way to do it is with preload and a new crush sleeve- that is really up to you, do you know the condition of the bearings? You could score the pinion and nut in line with each other then when you retighten use the score line to match them up. Technically you are supposed to replace the pinion nut everytime as well. Some people do and some don't. One thing you may already know is to remove any rust burns on the shaft with light abrasive paper.

I did this today, and glad I did. I marked the position of the yoke, nut and pinion shaft, and was prepared to wage a holy war on it with a ginormous breaker bar and pipe wrench, and... the nut just came off practically by hand, it was insanely loose. I was able to pull the outer pinion bearing out and check it, and it looked fine.

I had been reading up a lot on "backyard" pinion seal replacement, and found that the consensus on a Dana 35 is that unless something is seriously messed up, you can usually just torque the nut back to 180 ft-lbs and be done with it. So after replacing the seal and slathering on the Loctite, this is what I did.

Upon driving, I immediately noticed that a certain vibrational "harshness" the Jeep had at times was completely gone. I guess that pinion nut was really loose, and it's amazing that the outer pinion bearing wasn't trashed. Diff doesn't make any noise, and no sign of leaks. I hope the rest of the diff is fine, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 2, 2008

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Just picked up a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Ltd with the 4.0 i6 for the winter. :cool:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

mcvey posted:

Just picked up a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Ltd with the 4.0 i6 for the winter. :cool:

I hope you mean "for life." You can't just cast a Cherokee off in a couple months like an unloved child. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

I hope you mean "for life." You can't just cast a Cherokee off in a couple months like an unloved child. :colbert:

Exactly

You will join usssss...

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Molten Llama posted:

Sorry, I should edit that to be "winterS".

docno
Oct 1, 2004
The Doc No.
Sold my old one:
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

(drove around the dirt in PA)

I haven't gotten the new Jeep dirty yet, but I plan to!
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition

I don't have the income to support a rock crawling hobby, I keep to the basic trails and have fun off the road.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

docno posted:

Sold my old one:
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

(drove around the dirt in PA)

I haven't gotten the new Jeep dirty yet, but I plan to!
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition

I don't have the income to support a rock crawling hobby, I keep to the basic trails and have fun off the road.

I contemplated buying one of these too but lack of a solid front axle ruled it out for me.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Ok, the exhaust has pretty much started to fall off my Comanche, so I'm going to ghetto fab a system this weekend. I'm wondering what diameter tubing I should go with since I want to keep the 4.0 torquey. Would 3" be too large, or should I go 3.5" or what?

docno
Oct 1, 2004
The Doc No.

spiralbrain posted:

I contemplated buying one of these too but lack of a solid front axle ruled it out for me.

Yeh, I know it's not the best equipped to handle crawling, but after checking out 4xguard's rigs, I want my truck to look like these:
http://www.4xguard.com/Products/customer%20rigs%20p1.html

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

docno posted:

Yeh, I know it's not the best equipped to handle crawling, but after checking out 4xguard's rigs, I want my truck to look like these:
http://www.4xguard.com/Products/customer%20rigs%20p1.html

Thats tight. And it looks like more than capable of handling a little more than your basic trail obstacles (mud, rocks, etc).

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Tire question!

I have come into posession of a set of BFG AT tires, size is 245/75r16. Ive been planning on lifting but finances have been tight the past few months, I got the tires for extremely cheap and my current tires are dangerously bald. The question I have is has anyone seen someone run these particular tires at this size on a stock WJ? I know there would be a slight amount of rubbing especially at full lock but I have come across a few people running that tire size. But as they say not all tire sizes are equal. If I really have to I will buy a BB kit but id rather not waste the money when I know its just going to get pulled off in the next month or two. Vehicle in question is a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition. Im fairly certain it dosnt have the UC suspension

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 2, 2008

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Hah, I have a tire question too.

'89 Cherokee, 4x4.

My front right tire is bald on the outside, yet the inside has lots of tread depth left. Are my ball joints hosed? The other side is the same way although not nearly as extreme.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Me and my brothers used to wheel all the time till my Range Rover started having problems. Poor girl, 1990 and her T/Case was starting to go, combined with tons of small problems I had to put her down (She is my field truck around the property now). My brother however wheels at least three times a week in his Jeep. I can't believe the drat thing still runs. One day I will rebuild a Range Rover and put him to shame.

Click here for the full 1000x663 image.

Any of you guys ever see a Range Rover out on the trails? I loved my baby but I found weighing in at 5990lbs plus me, beer, three passengers and slightly larger BFG Mud Terrains then stock I had some trouble in the squishy bottomless soup. :D

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

NuckmasterJ posted:

Me and my brothers used to wheel all the time till my Range Rover started having problems. Poor girl, 1990 and her T/Case was starting to go, combined with tons of small problems I had to put her down (She is my field truck around the property now). My brother however wheels at least three times a week in his Jeep. I can't believe the drat thing still runs. One day I will rebuild a Range Rover and put him to shame.

Click here for the full 1000x663 image.

Any of you guys ever see a Range Rover out on the trails? I loved my baby but I found weighing in at 5990lbs plus me, beer, three passengers and slightly larger BFG Mud Terrains then stock I had some trouble in the squishy bottomless soup. :D

Ive seen a Defender out in the desert. That thing is just bad-rear end.

I did recently see a caravan of Land Rover HSEs out on the trails but they didnt take it onto some of the more extreme sections which was probably a good idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've seen a couple Discos off-roading but they are rather top heavy from what I've heard so people are pretty careful not to get into the nasty parts of the trail with them.

However we did rescue a disco that tried to wade a 3 ft deep stream and flooded his engine :P

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

MrZig posted:

Hah, I have a tire question too.

'89 Cherokee, 4x4.

My front right tire is bald on the outside, yet the inside has lots of tread depth left. Are my ball joints hosed? The other side is the same way although not nearly as extreme.

Sounds like your front end is off camber [positive] try to get a full alignment first , then figure out if there is suspension component issues. Some good shops will have something like a Hunter alignment rack which uses laser tracking to ensure everything [toe, camber, thrust line/axis, etc] is within spec.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Why would my air filter have quite a lot of oil in it? (88 cherokee 4.0)

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
^^A well known issue with the 4.0. Cheap and easy to fix.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257985

My old '90 cherokee had it but it wasn't bad so I never got around to fixing it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

yaffle posted:

Why would my air filter have quite a lot of oil in it? (88 cherokee 4.0)

Usually blowby from a restricted CCV system. Assuming that's it, you can solve the problem with fresh CCV system parts... Run you $30-40 for everything you need, any dealership parts guy should know exactly what you need.

^^^ drat you! :argh:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Hooray, now I just need to say it in spanish to my mechanic

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My 1999 TJ won't start. It's 0 degrees Fahrenheit out. It cranks and clicks, it fires with a little gas sometimes but it won't sustain itself. I ran the battery down by trying to start it I think because it's now acting like the battery is dying.

What do I do?

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
I don't know if it's been mentioned...but what the hell is going on with the Jeep brand?

So...for most of the 90s, the brand consisted of just the Wrangler and the Cherokee.

But now there's the Commander, which I guess makes sense if you need the passenger space.

Then there's the Liberty which is basically just the old regular non-Grand Cherokee.

And the Patriot and Compass, which I understand are based on the Dodge Caliber.

The Compass, Liberty, Patriot and Wrangler are all within $5k of each other.

Of course the Wrangler is much less of a passenger car than the other 3, but essentially, this lineup seems designed to completely water-down the brand.

I know that Chrysler is pretty much automotive poison, but is there no autonomy within Jeep? I don't know how anyone could look at this lineup and think that it makes any sense.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I posted a thread asking questions about a specific problem with my Jeep, but I figure I'll post a picture of it in this thread.

Not running right now, I think we're going to try to get it started and take it to a mechanic this weekend, I'm really nervous about it and I hope I don't end up having to spend too much. It's the 5.2l V8 Limited and I love it, I don't think I'd ever enjoy driving anything else as much as I have this vehicle.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

tiananman posted:

I know that Chrysler is pretty much automotive poison, but is there no autonomy within Jeep? I don't know how anyone could look at this lineup and think that it makes any sense.

Don't forget the SRT8, which (while hella cool) is as far from the original definition as you can get: pavement racing tires, low ground clearance, and breakneck acceleration.

I think the Germans (Daimler Benz from 1998 to 2007) had alot to do with these changes, as design elements from Mercedes and Chrysler were cross-pollinated across all of the DaimlerChrysler lines during the last decade.

I know the Cherokee name lives on outside the US as the official tag on overseas Libertys, but the worst mistake in my opinion was discontinuing the rectangular, unibody, reliable, box-of-sex Cherokee.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

xopher.white posted:

I know the Cherokee name lives on outside the US as the official tag on overseas Libertys, but the worst mistake in my opinion was discontinuing the rectangular, unibody, reliable, box-of-sex Cherokee.

They're still made and sold in China, meaning that there will be fresh parts and engines for these things forever.

Dr. Z was totally unapologetic about diluting the Jeep nameplate. He wasn't shy about admitting that to them Jeep was just a recognizable brand that was it. They didn't care about off-road capability or anything like that, which is why there are now rebadged Mitsubishi Lancers masquerading as Jeeps!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

grzydj posted:

which is why there are now rebadged Mitsubishi Lancers masquerading as Jeeps!

Please elaborate

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

incredibull posted:

Please elaborate

The Jeep Compass and Patriot are based on the Mistubishi Lancer (GS) platform, which also plays host to the Dodge Caliber, Avenger amongst many others.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

grzydj posted:

Dr. Z was totally unapologetic about diluting the Jeep nameplate. He wasn't shy about admitting that to them Jeep was just a recognizable brand that was it. They didn't care about off-road capability or anything like that, which is why there are now rebadged Mitsubishi Lancers masquerading as Jeeps!

Jeep meet Hummer. :(

I've read in diesel power this morning that Chrysler is planning to move the Grand Cherokee to a car platform in order to improve fuel economy.

:argh:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

BigKOfJustice posted:

I've read in diesel power this morning that Chrysler is planning to move the Grand Cherokee to a car platform in order to improve fuel economy.

:argh:
Then all they will have to do is turn the Wrangler/Rubicon into two seat 3-cylinders that can park anywhere like that abortion of a Smart Car and they will have completely obliterated the strongest sport/utilty brand in history!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

xopher.white posted:

Then all they will have to do is turn the Wrangler/Rubicon into two seat 3-cylinders that can park anywhere like that abortion of a Smart Car and they will have completely obliterated the strongest sport/utilty brand in history!

Tell that to whoever buys the Jeep brand when Chrysler sells it off.