Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Picked this up off craigslist yesterday. loving thing is incredible with my 212 deville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
New (used) toy!

I'm very pleased with this thing, lots of options, sweet tone, loud as gently caress.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
^^Im very jealous. Those heads are wicked.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just ordered two of these:

Next up:

I'm getting raped in the butt by exchange rates. :mad:

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
I really like that project studio thing. It seems like everything one would need, minus software.

I souped up my drum kit with new cymbals! They are Sabian B8 Pros, so they aren't the best, but to me they sound good. They are also not paper thin, which is a plus for me, they are loud and I really don't need to hit as hard. Observe:

I also decided that I'm going to put rope lights on the drums while I play, because I am awesome like that.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
It's been a while since I could post in here.
I both love and hate the livesearch ebay cashback as well as craigslist for giving me good deals on things that I shouldn't spend money on. Looks like it's time to learn to play the mandolin:

Fender FM52E Electric-Acoustic Mando

And to use with Ableton:

Behringer (yeah, yeah) FCB1010 Midi Pedal

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

communistdew posted:

Fender FM52E Electric-Acoustic Mando

Clips now pleeeease.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Echoes posted:

DD-6 time!

Anyone got one of these? Tell me what it excels at!

:psyduck: why on earth would you buy one of these now, the DD-7 is here.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Thoogsby posted:

Clips now pleeeease.

Keep in mind I've never touched a mandolin until today. It starts off with a simplified rendition of Cinnamon by the Long Winters, then a terrible metal interlude I made up on the spot and then just acoustic with no filter or anything through a mic and not the line-in.

All in all: awesome things are going to happen with this thing. Now I need to get way better.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just had this thought. I really wish SWR would bring back the Mo' Bass.

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

Minto Took posted:

Why did they kill it, anyway? Just too many options for most people? Too expensive (it was only like $1500 as I recall, which isn't THAT much)? I'm not a bass player, but I knew a couple of guys who used that head with SWR 4x10" cabs, and they sounded great.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Minto Took posted:

Really? I always thought that thing kind of sucked plus SWR has gone completely down the shitter. I'd buy that new Line6 LD750 head years before I touched another piece of SWR gear.

Except the old Baby Blue, that thing is A-OK.

Operator
Feb 22, 2006
place avatar here

Handen posted:

Just ordered two of these:

Next up:

hell yeeeeah! hifive

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Handen posted:

Next up:

Oh my sweet loving Lord, do I envy you and your money...

Operator
Feb 22, 2006
place avatar here

Gorilla Salsa posted:

they're deceptively cheap

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=projectmix&_sacat=See-All-Categories

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

It's gotta be done. I have a few weeks off during christmas and I wanna get the gently caress started already.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 5, 2008

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

gay noises

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Just used that Kisekae flash and some Warmoth wood images and a bunch of erasing in Paint.net to do a rough mockup of what I plan on building when my credit card is paid off and I get a bunch of money...The body shape is supposed to be a 7S from Warmoth, and there's gray and black poo poo on the edges because I can't erase well enough, and it's supposed to be a 7 string, not six, but what can I say?

I'm thinking Alder body with Zebrawood laminate, 7 string floyd rose, all black hardware. maple neck with Ziricote fingerboard.

Opinions?

This is what the actual body shape will be:

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 6, 2008

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

archie posted:

unfair! enjoy your bleep blooping

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've been on a bit of a buying spree lately, and have pretty much purchased every piece of music equipment I've wanted (within reason, of course). The only thing remaining on my wants list is....

A Euphonix MC Mix.

I've got the cash here waiting. I'm just waiting til after Christmas to see if any kind retailers decide to drop it's price in the sales...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

:iamafag:

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!
Wow, Merry fuckin' Christmas! It's been a year since I switched to Mac for musical endeavors, ain't looked back since.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
These two came last week:

Got the Epi as part of a trade ($100 trade value) and the Fender for $550 shipped!

I also just bought these:

So perhaps some of you will know what my next little project will be.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Carbohydrates posted:

I dunno man, replacing your nipples with tone knobs is a bit too hardcore even for me.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!
I got a nice bonus from work so I thought I'd get myself an actual amp for gigs and whatnot. Right now I'm using a Fender Champion 30, but soon I'll be getting this in the mail.

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe.

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

Howling Bells posted:

I got a nice bonus from work so I thought I'd get myself an actual amp for gigs and whatnot. Right now I'm using a Fender Champion 30, but soon I'll be getting this in the mail.

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe.

Goddamn. I miss owning a Mark series, the III is so drat nice.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Please excuse the lovely cameraphone pics...I don't own a real camera.

I've always wanted a VHT, even if this is the cheapest one around.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nice pbull. I'm seriously thinking about flipping my triple rec and grabbing a deliverance 120.

Oh, and nice score on the mark III, howling bells. I've always wanted a mark after playing a IV that came through a local guitar superstore. I loved that creamy, liquid, compressed tone...

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Thanks eBay!

No thanks to Steve Jobs for taking out the FW400 port on the new Macbook Pros, I have to go and find a 9pin-6pin cable now :angry:

e:

Thoogsby posted:

If you like how Dean or B.C. Rich guitars look then there is something fundamentally wrong with you and I'm sticking to that statement :colbert:.
Gunslinger?

Zurich fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 9, 2008

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Carbohydrates posted:

FENDER BRONCO!?

Edit:

Anybody have any advice/praise/warnings about these two control surface audio interfaces?

TASCAM FW-1884

VS

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

I'd been interested in the M-Audio ProjectMix until I saw that the Tascam had seemingly more to offer. What I noticed was 1 MIDI I/O on the ProjectMix vs 4 MIDI I/O on the Tascam board, which might come into play down the line for me. I don't know much about MIDI yet, but if I got the ProjectMix, could I offload the task of controlling several MIDI peripherals to something like an M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 and have as much functionality as the Tascam would have? No worries about latency or MIDI slowdown? What are the benefits of two FW ports vs one?

I'd like to be able to use both Logic Pro 8 (already own) and Ableton Live 7 with either unit.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 9, 2008

kahm
May 13, 2004

Handen posted:

FENDER BRONCO!?

Edit:

Anybody have any advice/praise/warnings about these two control surface audio interfaces?

TASCAM FW-1884

VS

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

I'd been interested in the M-Audio ProjectMix until I saw that the Tascam had seemingly more to offer. What I noticed was 1 MIDI I/O on the ProjectMix vs 4 MIDI I/O on the Tascam board, which might come into play down the line for me. I don't know much about MIDI yet, but if I got the ProjectMix, could I offload the task of controlling several MIDI peripherals to something like an M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 and have as much functionality as the Tascam would have? No worries about latency or MIDI slowdown? What are the benefits of two FW ports vs one?

Personally, I'd take the M-audio interface because it will work directly with Protools. Meaning you can use the interface part, the preamps, right with Protools. Can't do that with the Tascam.

Having two firewire ports just allows you to plug another firewire device, like a hard drive or something, into your computer without actually having to plug it right into the computer.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kahm posted:

Personally, I'd take the M-audio interface because it will work directly with Protools. Meaning you can use the interface part, the preamps, right with Protools. Can't do that with the Tascam.

What's ProTools M-Powered got that Logic Pro 8 can't do? I'm serious, and don't mean to sound arrogant - I'm just wholly under-educated and overwhelmed by everything I want to do with a studio and all of the possibilities combined with how hard it is to find a source of information about it all and next to impossible to figure out how to relate it all together. It's just that it's been a while since I've used ProTools (two years...) and it seems to have mostly similar features, with the exception of compatibility with third party VST effects...? And I haven't exactly become that familiar with Logic at the moment because I've lacked an audio interface this whole time... saving up for something like the ProjectMix or the Tascam.

So what I'm trying to say is... Would Logic without ProTools be a perfectly viable option for a basement recording studio? Or would Logic and ProTools somehow supplement eachother in a mutually beneficial way alongside Ableton? I'll be looking into Max/MSP in a while too but that's neither here nor there.

Edit: VVV Jazzmaster. What's your build plan? It seems a lot of people are building their own Jaguar or Jazzmaster to fit their own style, myself included.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 10, 2008

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Handen posted:

FENDER BRONCO!?
Close, it is an offset Fender!

I'm gonna assemble some parts and attempt a finish myself in that color. The plan is to shoot it with Ice Blue Metallic and hit it with yellow/amber clearcoat until it turns green to simulate a heavily aged IBM like this one is.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Handen posted:

What's ProTools M-Powered got that Logic Pro 8 can't do? I'm serious, and don't mean to sound arrogant - I'm just wholly under-educated and overwhelmed by everything I want to do with a studio and all of the possibilities combined with how hard it is to find a source of information about it all and next to impossible to figure out how to relate it all together. It's just that it's been a while since I've used ProTools (two years...) and it seems to have mostly similar features, with the exception of compatibility with third party VST effects...? And I haven't exactly become that familiar with Logic at the moment because I've lacked an audio interface this whole time... saving up for something like the ProjectMix or the Tascam.

So what I'm trying to say is... Would Logic without ProTools be a perfectly viable option for a basement recording studio? Or would Logic and ProTools somehow supplement eachother in a mutually beneficial way alongside Ableton? I'll be looking into Max/MSP in a while too but that's neither here nor there.

I've actually been wondering the same thing, but I'm a PC guy so for me it's basically between ProTools M and Cubase (I guess). Is there any significant advantage buying an M Audio interface so I can use Pro Tools, other than the fact that it's just...Pro Tools? I mean, Pro Tools 8 looks pretty nice, but is it worth the extra money?

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

Handen posted:

Logic is pretty tits man, I have not used ProTools all that much but I would imagine there is not a lot of ground you can't cover in Logic that you could in ProTools. I use ableton in conjunction with Logic as well and it works wonders, but I would imagine that having ProTools in addition to those would be kind of a waste. I would sooner go for something like a Reaktor or Reason to compliment Logic+Ableton.

But to answer your question yes, Logic can cut the mustard for what you want to do.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Handen posted:

Logic without pro tools is viable for a professional recording studio let alone a basement.

kahm
May 13, 2004

Oh, I guess I hadn't even considered that. Logic is absolutely wonderful. There's a lot I like about it, some things more so than protools, I'm just a 'tools guy. If you get the Tascam, you can use it with Logic. If you get the M-Audio, you can use it with Protools AND Logic :derp:

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

Logic without pro tools is viable for a professional recording studio let alone a basement.

This.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Picked this thing up on clearance as an early Christmas present.