Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nm posted:

RE-08 WRXes

08 STIs are leaving lots for ~$27k, so if you have the means. . .

It would have to be a high volume dealership and also a base model STi to have a chance of getting that deal. I would imagine it would be hard to find a dealership with enough volume to secure the $7000 dealer cash that still has any on the lot. I feel sorry for the low volume dealerships, because they're going to get stuck with all theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Powers posted:

It would have to be a high volume dealership and also a base model STi to have a chance of getting that deal. I would imagine it would be hard to find a dealership with enough volume to secure the $7000 dealer cash that still has any on the lot. I feel sorry for the low volume dealerships, because they're going to get stuck with all theirs.
I'd pay a $200 plane ticket for one if I were in the market.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!
The STI is a beautiful thing, but i'll be more than happy with just the WRX for now. I can enjoy the process of slowly tuning and playing with the WRX as my driving skill increases rather than jumping behind something that seriously looks like I could kill myself with it.

But those who can get to LA, there are plenty of dealerships with STI's still sitting in their lots, and the thing I love about Subaru is all of their dealer websites use the exact same template and you can very easily search every one in about 3 seconds for the car you want.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

nm posted:

RE-08 WRXes

08 STIs are leaving lots for ~$27k, so if you have the means. . .

Only 1 dealership on cars.com within 250 miles of NE Ohio had this kind of deal and it was in MI. :sigh: back to looking for a clean 05/06

From what I understand, the dealership's incentive depends on how many of the 08s they sell, so it would have to be a high-volume that has no problem moving 08s for their incentive to grow. The 0% for 63 months thing is valid for all dealerships regardless of their volume and sales.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

Qapf posted:

The STI is a beautiful thing, but i'll be more than happy with just the WRX for now. I can enjoy the process of slowly tuning and playing with the WRX as my driving skill increases rather than jumping behind something that seriously looks like I could kill myself with it.

It's not hard to get the WRX as fast as an STi for cheaper than just buying one. It's just not going to be as comfortable at that level. You're right: it is fun tuning it bit by bit, but it will become an addiction.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

Turbo Car posted:

It's not hard to get the WRX as fast as an STi for cheaper than just buying one. It's just not going to be as comfortable at that level. You're right: it is fun tuning it bit by bit, but it will become an addiction.

"not going to be as comfortable"

No one has really gone into depth the difference in suspension between the WRX and STI, I figured it was just different components in the same spots, not a radically different design. Is there that much that separates the STI away from the WRX?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Turbo Car posted:

Not comfortable at that level? What do you mean? The "comfort," of an STi compared to say a Stage 2 WRX (which is as fast or faster than an STi) is relatively the same, except the suspension in the STi is harsher.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Turbo Car posted:

Diffs aren't cheap.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport. What kind of options do I have for suspension upgrades? This car has a higher ground clearance than a normal Impreza, but I wouldn't mind dropping it an inch or so. Can I use stuff designated for normal Imprezas? Sorry, I'm a suspension noob.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

taqueso posted:

I have a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport. What kind of options do I have for suspension upgrades? This car has a higher ground clearance than a normal Impreza, but I wouldn't mind dropping it an inch or so. Can I use stuff designated for normal Imprezas? Sorry, I'm a suspension noob.

Yes, anything for the pre-'01 imprezas will work for you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Yes, anything for the pre-'01 imprezas will work for you.

I was looking at KYB AGX struts and Tanabe GF210 springs. Do I need new struts at all? Do I need adjustable struts?

Am I supposed to get wagon specific or sedan specific suspension parts for the OBS?

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

taqueso posted:

I was looking at KYB AGX struts and Tanabe GF210 springs. Do I need new struts at all? Do I need adjustable struts?

Am I supposed to get wagon specific or sedan specific suspension parts for the OBS?

Anything will fit.

Also Tanabe stuff is horribly ricey, just get H&R or Eibach.

Adjustable shocks are ok if you ever want to track the car, but somewhat unnecessary if you don't.

littlehulkster fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 5, 2008

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

littlehulkster posted:

Also Tanabe stuff is horribly ricey, just get H&R or Eibach.

What does ricey mean when it comes to springs? Lower, I assume. The Tanabe springs supposedly lower less than the H&R and Eibach springs I have seen. Maybe I'm just not seeing the right stuff.

edit: I guess I should have gone to the H&R website where they obviously have products with less drop than the tanabe.

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl
H&R/Eibach are better springs that go for the same/less but they're not MAD TYTE JDM and orange.

https://www.boxer4racing.com has just about every performance part ever for these cars, although you can usually find most things cheaper elsewhere if you want to hunt long enough.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have Eibach springs with AGXs on my 01 RS. They're nice, but the ride is a little harsh. I think that's because everything is getting worn at this point. There are 75k on them now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dr JonboyG posted:

Bridgestone RE960as. Wet weather grip is almost as good as in the dry - I think I've only ever lost traction a couple of times in the wet since I've had them.

I agree 100% with this. I've had RE960as on my car since November '06 and they have been amazing. They have seen two (going on 3) PA winters and all the bits inbetween. Snow, ice, torrential rain, cold, anything. They feel the same nearly all the time. They've also lasted the longest out of any tire's I've had before. I probably have close to 30k miles on them at this point.

I will probably have to replace them before the winter is out though since they are getting closer to the wear bars, but so far I haven't noticed any decrease in foul weather performance though they are getting a bit more squealy when pushed as of late though.

I'm probably going to replace them with the same thing. Nothing else on the market seems to stack up even after 2 years.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I agree 100% with this. I've had RE960as on my car since November '06 and they have been amazing. They have seen two (going on 3) PA winters and all the bits inbetween. Snow, ice, torrential rain, cold, anything. They feel the same nearly all the time. They've also lasted the longest out of any tire's I've had before. I probably have close to 30k miles on them at this point.

I will probably have to replace them before the winter is out though since they are getting closer to the wear bars, but so far I haven't noticed any decrease in foul weather performance though they are getting a bit more squealy when pushed as of late though.

I'm probably going to replace them with the same thing. Nothing else on the market seems to stack up even after 2 years.

Hmmm. Theyre a little pricey for me at ~$150 a pop, I like to go for around the ~$100 area. But I see people are singing their praises, and the tires I have on there now are honestly scary in anything but bone dry so I guess I will be purchasing a set of these come spring. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
My WRX wears a set of RE960as tires and so does my gf's 2.5rs.

All the praise that is heaped upon them is deserved.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BannedForLulz posted:

Hmmm. Theyre a little pricey for me at ~$150 a pop, I like to go for around the ~$100 area. But I see people are singing their praises, and the tires I have on there now are honestly scary in anything but bone dry so I guess I will be purchasing a set of these come spring. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Skimping on tyres is a bit of a false economy tbh - they're the only point of contact between your car and the road.

Why they charge more for the terrible RE92 is beyond me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr JonboyG posted:

Why they charge more for the terrible RE92 is beyond me.

Because they are an OEM tire. Scores of people believe that the OEM tire is the best tire possibly suited to their vehicle. Very few actually realize that the OEM tires are the cheapest, highest margin, tire that they can get away with.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sweet, I get to buy a new LCA (and hopefully only that, pray for my coilovers) for my LGT.
Why'd they have to put a curb there?

Thats $200-300 I'll never get back

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

Sweet, I get to buy a new LCA (and hopefully only that, pray for my coilovers) for my LGT.
Why'd they have to put a curb there?

Thats $200-300 I'll never get back

So you were whipping around in the snow in an empty lot, nailed a curb and bent the poo poo out of your LCA? :)

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

So you were whipping around in the snow in an empty lot, nailed a curb and bent the poo poo out of your LCA? :)

He claims he was trying to avoid another car, but in fact he was just going too fast and nailed the curb :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

Petty much.
I miss frozen lakes, no curbs.

Turbo Car posted:

He claims he was trying to avoid another car, but in fact he was just going too fast and nailed the curb :)
Yeah, yeah, yeah. ;)
The blame is all mine.

I'd point out how loving happy I don't have a spec B. The spec B has the trick $400 LCAs. I have the lovely stamped steel ones, but they only cost $130.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 7, 2008

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

nm posted:

Petty much.
I miss frozen lakes, no curbs.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. ;)
The blame is all mine.

I'd point out how loving happy I don't have a spec B. The spec B has the trick $400 LCAs. I have the lovely stamped steel ones, but they only cost $130.

The '06 WRX has the aluminum ones too. And gently caress they're expensive too.

JohnnieF
Sep 11, 2001

I am thinking about trading in my 2007 Rabbit for a 2009 Impreza WRX Premium 4-Door with Navi. Looking at all of the features that come with the WRX Premium, I can't really see any justification for making a 7500 dollar jump in MSRP before negotiating to consider the STI. Anyone?

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Kardiac Kid posted:

I am thinking about trading in my 2007 Rabbit for a 2009 Impreza WRX Premium 4-Door with Navi. Looking at all of the features that come with the WRX Premium, I can't really see any justification for making a 7500 dollar jump in MSRP before negotiating to consider the STI. Anyone?

The STI is faster, for one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

littlehulkster posted:

The STI is faster, for one.

Well, actually...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/evo_wrx_zone/2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_short_take_road_test/(page)/1

What they did to the 2009 WRX makes me really anxious to see what they will do to the 2010 STI.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Kardiac Kid posted:

Let's seeeeeee

DCCD
Widebody with fenders that people have been fitting 18x10 wheels with 275 tires under
Stronger transmission, and a 6speed at that
Brembos
Nicer seats
etc, etc

True the 09 wrx is almost as fast as the sti in a straight line, but if you're looking for straight line speed there are better things to buy.

And f C&D, seriously, they suck.

Editing to say that both the wrx and sti are great, really. If you are funds limited you'll still be plenty happy with the wrx :) (and we'll heartily welcome you to our Subaru family)

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 8, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

People under estimate the value of good diffs (STI).
The things I want most for my car (2005 LGT) in this order is:
0. LCA ;)
1. Front LSD
2. Rear non-goo LSD
3. Center non-goo LSD.

I get a lot of slippage up front right now in auto-x and a bit in road courses. I'll never do the upgrades partially out of auto-x classing and partially out of not wnating to blow thousands (probably over $7k) on diffs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Does anyone know where to find more information about the MPT AWD system in most automatic Subaru's? I understand it uses an electronic clutch in the tail shaft of the transmission thats similar to a motorcycle clutch but what I don't have any information on is how the power is being distributed in different situations.

The only time I can really feel the power transfer is when the front (or rear?) tires are really slipping. At that point it feels like the computer dumps all the power to the other set of wheels and I feel a dump thump before the car takes off.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I finally took some pictures of my black Friday purchase :)

That's right, the temptation of the discounted STI and 0% apr proved to be too much for me. I traded in my 06 LGT towards the above 08 DGM STI. I'm super happy with it so far and I haven't even broken 1000 miles (328 as of 5 minutes ago :) ). Big thanks to TheSlaughter who works at a Subaru dealership local to me.

And look, that hatchback utility is already coming in handy!

A set of 17x8.5 rpf1s with brand new BFG super sport all season tires. I managed to grab them at a great deal from a local Mazdaspeed3 owner who blew his engine. He and some buddies were pulling the blown block and I managed to snap this little pic

Note the big jagged hole in the middle. Bad for him, but good for me since he had to sell the wheels and tires to fund a replacement engine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The legacy wagon is not impressed by your trunk space but is jealious of diffs and extra HP.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Yay!

Picked it up about 3 weeks ago. First Subaru so I am pretty excited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mat_Drinks posted:

And f C&D, seriously, they suck.

Every car magazine sucks, there are no exceptions.

Take a good hard look at your list and see what really is in there that would matter to anyone that wasn't tracking their car (the ability to put on 275s? seriously, honestly the fact that it has 18s from the factory is a big check in the 'con' box for me, i would destroy 18s in 5 months on PA roads).

The upgraded diffs are nice, but the fact of the matter is the STI has continually gone up in price (deals not withstanding) where I could walk out of a subaru dealership with an '09 WRX and pay the same dollar amount that I spent on my '02 back in December of 2001 and get a substantially better equipped and put together car.

I've also never come across a situation in the real world where the upgraded diffs would have made much difference. I got caught on a completely iced over grade on saturday and my car climbed it like a champ in all-season tires. I have yet to get my car stuck anywhere (and I've done some pretty boneheaded things that make me say that I should have.)

Also, with the level that they upgrade the '09 WRX, I would hate to buy a current STI because you know they are going put a significant upgrade on it next to justify the higher price.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 8, 2008

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Windshield wiper recommendations?

Mine need replacing and I'm trying to decide whether to get more OEM ones or something different. I'm hoping for something that will last a while.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

cmorrow001 posted:

Windshield wiper recommendations?

Mine need replacing and I'm trying to decide whether to get more OEM ones or something different. I'm hoping for something that will last a while.

I just got some of the Rain-X latitudes and they seem pretty :coal: so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm using Trico Innovisions and they've seem pretty good for about a year that I've had them on. I should probably replace them fairly soon though.

No matter what kind of blades you buy, they will likely wear out in about a year or so.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I finally got word from the dealership that Saab is sending out a brand new transmission to take care of my reverse skipping/clicking issue in my 92x aero.

Wooh! What do I need to know about breaking in a new transmission?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I finally talked got word from the dealership that Saab is sending out a brand new transmission to take care of my reverse skipping/clicking issue in my 92x aero.

Wooh! What do I need to know about breaking in a new transmission?

Don't dump the clutch repeatedly at stoplights!