Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Well, I found a killer deal on a 1st generation 16 GB the other day. Had to pick it up. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Well, I paid for the 2.2 update, and jailbroke it with the latest 2.2 version of Quickpwn and all is well.

Just for anyone wondering if this is possible yet - a very strong yes. App Store, AND Installer and Cydia. Good times :)

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Fallon posted:

Well, I paid for the 2.2 update, and jailbroke it with the latest 2.2 version of Quickpwn and all is well.

Just for anyone wondering if this is possible yet - a very strong yes. App Store, AND Installer and Cydia. Good times :)

Most people are wondering about the G2 touches, not an older model running 2.2. Its not 2.2 that is the problem but the different hardware.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Starting a few days ago it felt like the glass on mine was coming loose; I could push it down into the casing at the corners, then at the sides. I was planning to take it the the Apple store today, and when I took it out of my pocket this morning (I always keep it in the breast pocket of my coat) the corner was cracked :( It's still usable since the crack is only 1/8" over the LCD, and over the battery meter at that, but I'm worried that it's going to get worse or hurt the screen.

Someone please tell me that there's a chance this isn't my fault since I haven't dropped it or treated it roughly (and that it's still under warranty.) It would be months before I could spend the $250 I've heard it costs to replace it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GWBBQ posted:

Starting a few days ago it felt like the glass on mine was coming loose; I could push it down into the casing at the corners, then at the sides. I was planning to take it the the Apple store today, and when I took it out of my pocket this morning (I always keep it in the breast pocket of my coat) the corner was cracked :( It's still usable since the crack is only 1/8" over the LCD, and over the battery meter at that, but I'm worried that it's going to get worse or hurt the screen.

Someone please tell me that there's a chance this isn't my fault since I haven't dropped it or treated it roughly (and that it's still under warranty.) It would be months before I could spend the $250 I've heard it costs to replace it.

I'm just throwing it out there, that if you live in a very cold climate, that maybe the cold hurt it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Super Dude posted:

I'm just throwing it out there, that if you live in a very cold climate, that maybe the cold hurt it.
Not very cold, and definitely not in my room overnight. I talked to the Apple sales rep at our bookstore today and he said to call for a problem ticket number, mention that I'm the media guy for a University that's starting to really promote apple products, and forward the ticket number to him and he'll see if he can pull some strings to help me. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
For some reason when I play albums on my 2nd gen iPod Touch, it always shuffles the songs.

Is there a reason it does this? I don't believe I have shuffle turned on? Is there a way to just make it play the tracks in order?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Uberskooper posted:

For some reason when I play albums on my 2nd gen iPod Touch, it always shuffles the songs.

Is there a reason it does this? I don't believe I have shuffle turned on? Is there a way to just make it play the tracks in order?

This was honestly pissing me off for about 3 weeks. Finally figured it out...

Tap the screen to bring up the seek bar, hit the shuffle button.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Bink posted:

This was honestly pissing me off for about 3 weeks. Finally figured it out...

Tap the screen to bring up the seek bar, hit the shuffle button.

Thank you. That seemed to work. Why the hell would it be on as a standard? I listen to classical music and I get really anal about the order of the movements.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just got my 1G 32GB in the mail today. Jailbreaking isn't going as smoothly as I'd thought... the iPod reports that it's 2.1, the firmware in my iTunes directory is "iPod_11.1.2.1.ipsw". Probably a stupid question, but is this 2.1, 1.2 or what?

When I try to run the command line part of QuickpwnGUI120 (after selecting the firmware from the iTunes directory) it crashes after checking 9 or so files, whereas the 2.1 GUI version won't let me click any farther after I select the firmware file.

Edit: took 4 different downloads of QuickPwn and 2 different downloads of 2.1 firmware to get it working. :wtc:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 4, 2008

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Uberskooper posted:

Thank you. That seemed to work. Why the hell would it be on as a standard? I listen to classical music and I get really anal about the order of the movements.

I don't think it is set as standard. I noticed it after I went to 'Songs' and hit 'Shuffle Songs' at the top. Couldn't figure it out...

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I'm looking to buy a Touch to send to my relatives in Vietnam as a gift. They won't have any problems using it over there, right? As in like wifi and apps. Is there a Vietnamese menu or anything? I'm sure they all know english but I'm just wondering.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I'm looking to buy a Touch to send to my relatives in Vietnam as a gift. They won't have any problems using it over there, right? As in like wifi and apps. Is there a Vietnamese menu or anything? I'm sure they all know english but I'm just wondering.

The only problem I think they'll face is the lack of public wifi spots and maybe currency conversion. I was going to buy my sis a Touch in Malaysia but she said the regular video ones would be better since there is more space.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm noticing some static with some songs on my Touch. Most recently I noticed it in the intro to "#1" by Animal Collective. It is perfectly clean played through iTunes on my PC (with the same earbuds), but it fuzzes and crackles if I try to play it on the Touch. What's going on here?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rock Tumbler posted:

I'm noticing some static with some songs on my Touch. Most recently I noticed it in the intro to "#1" by Animal Collective. It is perfectly clean played through iTunes on my PC (with the same earbuds), but it fuzzes and crackles if I try to play it on the Touch. What's going on here?

Could be a broken wire in your headphones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bink posted:

Could be a broken wire in your headphones.

Wouldn't that problem manifest itself on the PC as well? I've gone back and forth, and it's always on the iPod and never on the PC.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rock Tumbler posted:

Wouldn't that problem manifest itself on the PC as well? I've gone back and forth, and it's always on the iPod and never on the PC.

Maybe something is wrong with the headphone jack on the ipod.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Maybe something is wrong with the headphone jack on the ipod.

poo poo. How could I confirm whether or not this is the problem?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rock Tumbler posted:

Oh, right, I didn't see that part of your post. Uhhh, try moving the plug around a bit while it's connected to the iPod and see if it makes noise?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rock Tumbler posted:

poo poo. How could I confirm whether or not this is the problem?

The only way I can think of is to try using different headphones and see if it still happens.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

The only way I can think of is to try using different headphones and see if it still happens.

Yeah, it happens with my headset as well. Looks like the iPod is bad. :( The only Apple store in town is way the gently caress out south and I loving hate going there; would I have any luck taking it back to the Target from which I bought it?

Void of Infinite Nothing
Mar 26, 2001
Has anyone tried knockoff mics? I want to record using my iPod but the apple combination earphones are quite pricey, and considering I just want to use the device for dictation the playback quality isn't really something I care to pay more for.

example: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/In-Ear-Handsfree-Earphone-Headphone-mic-for-iPhone-3G_W0QQitemZ400014357984QQc

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

If anyone buys the Griffin TuneFlex Aux, I wanted to give a heads up. They are using the 1G dock cradle which they certify as working great with the 2G. I beg to differ.

I personally find the 1G connector doesn't allow the actual metal dock to enter far enough into the 2G unit. As a result, every bump you hit disconnects the iPod and thus causes the music to pause until you reseat the ipod. This happens for me about 20 times per 1 hour commute. loving sucks.

I was going to go through the process of talking with griffin to get the problem fixed, but odds are any replacements they send will do the exact same thing.

I did find a fix that solved the problem for me. By using double-stick tape and some micro fiber cloth, I created a soft backing to the dock cradle. This puts enough pressure on the ipod to keep it from moving at all in the cradle and thus solves the disconnect issue. Also has the nice side effect of a soft backing to the cradle to keep the ipod from getting scratched.

This is what they get for being lazy and making you use the 1G cradles.. Dicks.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
My tracking report tells my my Touch is waiting for me in my mailbox.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Blakkout posted:

My tracking report tells my my Touch is waiting for me in my mailbox.

Not any more muhahaha.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FidgetyRat posted:

Griffin TuneFlex Aux

I know that it would look ugly as hell, but maybe you could use something to grind down the plastic a little bit on the connector, allowing the ipod to drop a little bit further down.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Do they even still sell tape adapters for cars any more? I can't afford to upgrade my head unit in my car, and the iTrip/iTripoffs don't give very good sound quality. I swear I've looked at like 4 or 5 different stores around me... am I stuck in the 90s? :(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Do they even still sell tape adapters for cars any more? I can't afford to upgrade my head unit in my car, and the iTrip/iTripoffs don't give very good sound quality. I swear I've looked at like 4 or 5 different stores around me... am I stuck in the 90s? :(

I really doubt a tape adapter is going to sound any better

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bink posted:

I really doubt a tape adapter is going to sound any better

It will, actually.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Do they even still sell tape adapters for cars any more?

They definitely do.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

FidgetyRat posted:

If anyone buys the Griffin TuneFlex Aux, I wanted to give a heads up. They are using the 1G dock cradle which they certify as working great with the 2G. I beg to differ.

I personally find the 1G connector doesn't allow the actual metal dock to enter far enough into the 2G unit. As a result, every bump you hit disconnects the iPod and thus causes the music to pause until you reseat the ipod. This happens for me about 20 times per 1 hour commute. loving sucks.

I was going to go through the process of talking with griffin to get the problem fixed, but odds are any replacements they send will do the exact same thing.

I did find a fix that solved the problem for me. By using double-stick tape and some micro fiber cloth, I created a soft backing to the dock cradle. This puts enough pressure on the ipod to keep it from moving at all in the cradle and thus solves the disconnect issue. Also has the nice side effect of a soft backing to the cradle to keep the ipod from getting scratched.

This is what they get for being lazy and making you use the 1G cradles.. Dicks.

Same thing happened to me when I bought mine. Returned it. I just want a cable that will do the same and I'll build something to hold my touch.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just got my daughter's 8gb g2. Sweet jesus is this thing thin. It makes my iphone 3g look like my old MDA.

The griffin hard case I bought seems nice enough, but the plastic screen protector is pure crap and a half. I'll have to order a best skins ever for this thing.

Does anyone know of a decent rigid screen protector like those that come with some soft cases, but sold individually? I know they kind of suck, but she'll mostly be using tilt features for gaming.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Looks like Apple's in-ear headphones are shipping, finally. Can anyone who's bought them offer an opinion?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Rock Tumbler posted:

Yeah, it happens with my headset as well. Looks like the iPod is bad. :( The only Apple store in town is way the gently caress out south and I loving hate going there; would I have any luck taking it back to the Target from which I bought it?

I had a similar problem with mine, although it came on suddenly. I ended up taking it to the apple store since it was still under warranty and they exchanged it with a refurbished one on the spot.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Super Dude posted:

I know that it would look ugly as hell, but maybe you could use something to grind down the plastic a little bit on the connector, allowing the ipod to drop a little bit further down.

It wouldn't really look ugly. On the very back is a semi-circle that hits into the goose neck. This is what controls the depth of the actual dock connector. 2 minutes and a grind wheel can make this just a bit lower. I'm not 100% sure if thats the problem so I figured I would try the micro fiber backing first. So far, In 2 days (and 4 hours of commuting) not a single skip. IF it ever does start failing, then I will hit the dremel

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I had a similar problem with mine, although it came on suddenly. I ended up taking it to the apple store since it was still under warranty and they exchanged it with a refurbished one on the spot.

Went to the Apple store today. The "Genius" told me that the static showing up on the iPod and not in iTunes was due to the differences in the way iPods and iTunes play back music. Now, I don't actually know how either one works, but this sounds like a line of bullshit. He suggested that I re-rip or re-encode the file; I don't have the original disc, so I just converted the MP3 to AAC, and the static was still present. I'm going to try and get ahold of the original disc so I can re-rip the file and see if it still happens, but I don't think it'll help. How can I convince the Genius Bar to just replace my drat iPod?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Rock Tumbler posted:

Went to the Apple store today. The "Genius" told me that the static showing up on the iPod and not in iTunes was due to the differences in the way iPods and iTunes play back music. Now, I don't actually know how either one works, but this sounds like a line of bullshit. He suggested that I re-rip or re-encode the file; I don't have the original disc, so I just converted the MP3 to AAC, and the static was still present. I'm going to try and get ahold of the original disc so I can re-rip the file and see if it still happens, but I don't think it'll help. How can I convince the Genius Bar to just replace my drat iPod?

You're right, it's a line of crap. There's something wrong with your iPod and they should replace it. If you can stand to be without it for a while, maybe do a mail-in return?

When I went to the store, they did a restore on my iPod so there was no music on it. They copied some of their own music onto it and checked it with their own headphones. Maybe have them try that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

You're right, it's a line of crap. There's something wrong with your iPod and they should replace it. If you can stand to be without it for a while, maybe do a mail-in return?

When I went to the store, they did a restore on my iPod so there was no music on it. They copied some of their own music onto it and checked it with their own headphones. Maybe have them try that?

I put in a request for mail-in service; I can listen to music on my PSP until they get it back to me. I just hope they don't go "NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS :downs:" and charge me the "diagnostic fee" of "no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax."

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I am an idiot and my Touch slipped out of my hand in the garage and cracked the screen. It is still usable, but is really annoying. I want to get it fixed, but a quick Google search says to expect a $200-250 fee and some even recommend just buying a new one. So, is this what I should expect? The closest "Genius" Bar is two hours away from here, so I would like to know what I'm getting into before I drive all that way.

I apologize if this has been discussed--I searched the past few pages and didn't see anything addressing this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

kylekins posted:

I am an idiot and my Touch slipped out of my hand in the garage and cracked the screen. It is still usable, but is really annoying. I want to get it fixed, but a quick Google search says to expect a $200-250 fee and some even recommend just buying a new one. So, is this what I should expect? The closest "Genius" Bar is two hours away from here, so I would like to know what I'm getting into before I drive all that way.

I apologize if this has been discussed--I searched the past few pages and didn't see anything addressing this question.

Chances of them replacing a cracked screen under apple care is slim to none. That kind of something that can usually only happen via user error.

Second, Apple's repair prices without apple care is a complete ripoff designed to get you go just suck it up and buy a new one.

Why replace your screen for $200 when you can buy a brand new ipod for $300!!! Oh Apple and your hosed up logic.

But on a serious note, I don't know the price of replacing the glass. I immagine the $250 you are being quoted has to do with replacing the entire display unit including LCD and touch sensors. I wonder if they can't just replace the glass itself, unless it is all one solid unit. Either way, unless you get a disgruntled Genius, you're going to pay out of pocket.

• Locked thread