Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
For those with glass desks, are they cold when you rest your arms on them? For some reason I have this feeling they conduct heat far better than wood and would consequently be sucking away all that nice warm body heat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

ExileStrife posted:

For those with glass desks, are they cold when you rest your arms on them? For some reason I have this feeling they conduct heat far better than wood and would consequently be sucking away all that nice warm body heat. :(

Nope, mine isn't ever cold. I've got some Officemax thing.

My chair on the other hand...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Z posted:

I actually have two of those at home that my monitors are on. It looks like yours are smallish though - I would be doing it with minimum a 24", and my main monitor at work is actually a 30" Cinema Display, so I'm pretty sure that would just break the glass in half if I tried.
Yeah, I've got mine on a 19" and a 17" right now, but unless it has a glass cover no LCD is very heavy, and tempered glass is pretty strong. If you're paranoid, just insert 1/4" plywood strips between the clamp and the glass (both sides) and you'll be good. My wife has a 30" apple cinema on an ergotron arm clamped to a glass desk like that, and it's no problem even fully extended.

(No warranty is expressed or implied, your mileage may vary, etc.)

ExileStrife posted:

It's definitely colder than wood, probably similar to metal. But I don't rest my arms on them. I have a chair with armrests and sit back a bit from the desk, so it's not a problem.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I love my new office.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

rope kid posted:

I love my new office.

Good god how can you develop on that lovely TV? I had to work on a non-HD tv for a while at work and almost went crazy trying to bug-fix on it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

real_scud posted:

Good god how can you develop on that lovely TV? I had to work on a non-HD tv for a while at work and almost went crazy trying to bug-fix on it.
I play our builds on a standard-def TV because no one else does. I think the gaming industry collectively says "gently caress you" to standard-def players, which is not only a bad idea but dangerous for meeting TCR/TRC requirements. Safe zones and text legibility FTW.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

rope kid posted:

I play our builds on a standard-def TV because no one else does. I think the gaming industry collectively says "gently caress you" to standard-def players, which is not only a bad idea but dangerous for meeting TCR/TRC requirements. Safe zones and text legibility FTW.

I don't SDTV anymore, but you're awesome for checking stuff like this :3:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

rope kid posted:

Heh that's true, but I know whenever our side of the world [UI] does anything all the mocks are originally made with the safe-zones in mind. It's just near impossible to line up any UI elements on an SD television

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

rope kid posted:

Good job man. Is that the game Alien: Colonial Marines you're working on (if thats okay to ask)?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rope kid posted:

I really like this desk.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cromlech posted:

Good job man. Is that the game Alien: Colonial Marines you're working on (if thats okay to ask)?
I'm working on the Aliens RPG.

mediaphage posted:

I really like this desk.
I'll ask the owners what it is. Everyone has them and they're quite nice.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

real_scud posted:

Heh that's true, but I know whenever our side of the world [UI] does anything all the mocks are originally made with the safe-zones in mind. It's just near impossible to line up any UI elements on an SD television

That and CRT quality is so loving all over the place. I had a friend who had a 32 inch widescreen 1080i CRT and it was harder to read text on it than my 24 inch running component. It gets really bad when you are pushing smaller and smaller fonts since you hit a point when one TV might be illegible while another looks fine simply because on has as lovely CRT.

georgelazenby
Apr 14, 2004
georgelazenby

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

I love maps and clocks so I decided to make this:

isn't the person who does this also the person who tears their hair out when the second hands drift out of sync?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

georgelazenby posted:

isn't the person who does this also the person who tears their hair out when the second hands drift out of sync?

If I did that I'd have to use digital, I think.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

mediaphage posted:

I really like this desk.
Oops. The answer is that they were made for us specially. :c00l:

georgelazenby
Apr 14, 2004
georgelazenby

mediaphage posted:

If I did that I'd have to use digital, I think.

or just house current clocks. the sweep would look so cool anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rope kid posted:

Oops. The answer is that they were made for us specially. :c00l:

Drat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

rope kid posted:

derail

Thank you for doing this. Wife and I recently bought a nice tv (Samsung LN46A550) and just got into playing 360 just before, and some of the games were pretty much illegible on my 27" CRT, which is ridiculous.

/derail

Oct 17, 2005
i fapped

Here's a close up

A bit of an angle:

The monitors are 19" LCDs mounted by a ErgoTron stand. The chair is a Humanscale Liberty, and is totally awesome. I sort of dislike the hutch on the desk, but I need the storage and it helps the desk fill up the room.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
^^^^^

That monitor setup is sweet to be sure... But why do you have a framed picture of a burger?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Rodney Chops posted:

That monitor setup is sweet to be sure... But why do you have a framed picture of a burger?

What's wrong with framed pictures of burgers? :colbert:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

A bit of an angle:

Looks like somebody swiped your iMac and replaced it with a toy car. :(

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Philip J Fry posted:

What's wrong with framed pictures of burgers? :colbert:

I find Cat-ambergers acceptable. Haha. But thats just a hamburger... A really delecious looking one, but a burger none the less. You'd get hungry looking at it all the time.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Apple keyboard for controlling the car?

Here's mine on the dining table. I'm not labeling it, you can guess, a starter: a yakiniku barbecue at the back.

Oct 17, 2005
i fapped

Here's a close up

A bit of an angle:

The monitors are 19" LCDs mounted by a ErgoTron stand. The chair is a Humanscale Liberty, and is totally awesome. I sort of dislike the hutch on the desk, but I need the storage and it helps the desk fill up the room.

Looks delicious, doesn't it? It used to hang in the kitchen of my old apartment, but the wife got sick of it, so now it's in the man-cave, er, office.

Oct 17, 2005
i fapped

Zwille posted:

Looks like somebody swiped your iMac and replaced it with a toy car. :(

Hah, so true.

That's where the wife's MacBook Pro goes. She never uses the keyboard.

Under my desk, to the right of the chair there's a hackintosh. Under the printer is a headless Linux file/media server.

Three monitor support is somewhat sketchy with hackintoshes, I happen to have a Matrox TripleHead2Go which works wonderfully.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Here's mine on the dining table.
What are those widgets?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

rope kid posted:

Just chiming in to say "I love you." There are so many games where there's text on the screen that I just flat out can't read without getting up and pressing my nose against the glass.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I went out and bought a Jerker off craigslist last week and here it is all set up. I have some powerstrips ziptied to the back crossbar and a switch ziptied to the left leg. Most of my cabling is wrapped around the legs or the crossbar.

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

concise posted:

I went out and bought a Jerker off craigslist last week and here it is all set up. I have some powerstrips ziptied to the back crossbar and a switch ziptied to the left leg. Most of my cabling is wrapped around the legs or the crossbar.
Is that the original fabled Jerker? I've been looking at furniture on Craigslist and have come across a few similar looking desks, though they weren't labled as Ikea or Jerker.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

qlat posted:

Is that the original fabled Jerker? I've been looking at furniture on Craigslist and have come across a few similar looking desks, though they weren't labled as Ikea or Jerker.

Why yes it is, there were two up in the Seattle area within a couple days of each other, and I grabbed one of them. I'm really diggin the center cutout. All I did was search for 'jerker' and a couple popped up.

DJ Biscuit
Oct 5, 2008

Dongsmith posted:

You need to upgrade your monitors so they have parity with your speakers.

Yeah, I want new monitors, but I also need a new desk, a couple new desks. The equipment to power all my speakers happens to be sitting on a very flimsy table.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

What are those widgets?

All Googly ones, Google Desktop Email gadget, Time Around the World, Google Gadgets Analog Clock, Google Desktop Weather Gadget, and Flickr Gadget.

Click here for the full 222x1021 image.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer

Just picked up the monitor on the right. I am also getting a new desk soon so I will post up new pictures when I do. :)

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

MrMoo posted:

All Googly ones, Google Desktop Email gadget, Time Around the World, Google Gadgets Analog Clock, Google Desktop Weather Gadget, and Flickr Gadget.

Click here for the full 222x1021 image.

The google clock pisses me off because you can't tell if it's AM or PM.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

thebruce posted:

On that note, I'd love to see a 24 hour analogue clock widget

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

thebruce posted:

But that's the same as with any other normal analogue clock, surely? Unless you're making a point that I'm missing entirely.

I'd hate to be in a state of living where I didn't know if it was morning or night :S

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Centipeed posted:

But that's the same as with any other normal analogue clock, surely? Unless you're making a point that I'm missing entirely.

I'd hate to be in a state of living where I didn't know if it was morning or night :S

But if you like having secondary clocks that show other time zones it sucks not knowing if they're AM or PM, you have to think about it

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I think they know if it's night or day where they live, but don't know if it's AM/PM for the foreign countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think they know if it's night or day where they live, but don't know if it's AM/PM for the foreign countries.

Yep, I like the apple dashboard AM/PM indicator: