Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Karthillion posted:

Ok Timewarp, the card throwing guy, cool as hell. But come on, stop saying skeet, you can't be that oblivious to pop-culture.

I'm going to pretend you're making a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm going to pretend you're making a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting

I wasn't making a joke, and I know what Skeet shooting was. I wasn't even suggesting they shouldn't use the word. But the way the announcer went on about it and said something like "We even love saying the word! SKEET SKEET SKEET!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Karthillion posted:

I wasn't making a joke, and I know what Skeet shooting was. I wasn't even suggesting they shouldn't use the word. But the way the announcer went on about it and said something like "We even love saying the word! SKEET SKEET SKEET!"

He may have been doing it on purpose knowing that not everyone would get it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Universe: Sex in Space

A show about the entirety of existence somehow managed to run out of things to talk about. :bravo:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

FrensaGeran posted:

The Universe: Sex in Space

A show about the entirety of existence somehow managed to run out of things to talk about. :bravo:

That one was reeeeely bad. Embarrassingly bad.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Bear is not Wolverine. :smith:
http://tv.yahoo.com/contributor/2278195/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20081207:tv_bear_grylls_injured__ER:55056

quote:

Discovery Channel says Bear Grylls, rugged adventurer and star of its popular "Man vs. Wild" series, has been injured during an expedition in Antarctica.

A fall resulted in a shoulder injury to Grylls, who is en route back home to Britain for medical treatment and assessment of the injury's severity, according to Discovery.

He was not filming for Discovery, but instead was taking part in an independent expedition.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Kinda funny that he gets hurt while actually doing stuff in the wild that doesn't involved intentionally doing retarded and dangerous poo poo for cameras.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I hope he's ok, but either way you have to admit "Bear Gryllis, rugged adventurer" is a pretty great title. Even Wolverine would just be "Logan, local mutant..."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He may have been doing it on purpose knowing that not everyone would get it.
"My God, what have we done?!" - Dave Chapeau's

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SupahCoolX posted:

gently caress Bear Grylls and his stupid accent.

THE LACK OF VITTAMINS IN MY SYSTEM HAS ME DISORIENTATED

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

cr0y posted:

THE LACK OF VITTAMINS IN MY SYSTEM HAS ME DISORIENTATED

That's what he gets for pronouncing "glaciers" as "glassy-uhs".

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
Mike Rowe has just given up on being clever hasn't he. It's all about the sexual innuendo now. "A good tool needs a good shed."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Karthillion posted:

Mike Rowe has just given up on being clever hasn't he. It's all about the sexual innuendo now. "A good tool needs a good shed."

Mike Rowe has always loved innuendo.

See what I did there? But yeah he's always been this way.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Karthillion posted:

I totally agree, but I am more then willing to give him a free pass.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
the puns are what make dirty jobs good. i mean come on, it's named dirty jobs...would you expect there to be clean language?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I said this before but. Time warp is going to be the cause of the first death on the Discovery channel. I have to wonder if Adam or James are feeding them bad ideas and waiting to see what happens.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Is there no series on Mt. Everest this year? I thought it was on the air at this time last year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

I said this before but. Time warp is going to be the cause of the first death on the Discovery channel. I have to wonder if Adam or James are feeding them bad ideas and waiting to see what happens.

As long as they catch the death at 1000 frames per second I'm cool with that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Todd Flanders posted:

Is there no series on Mt. Everest this year? I thought it was on the air at this time last year.

I thought it was more of a January/February thing. I think the first season did air around this time though. I dunno, I just remember it being winter when they aired it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Don't forget the series finale of Survivorman Friday night!

He'll be in Papua New Guinea.

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

Dear "Destroyed in Seconds",

SpikeTV has shown that clip of the motel fire with the ceiling collapsing on those firefighters at least a dozen times. Now you are. It's the same with all of your clips.

You suck, please replace your timeslot with anything else.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

I just saw this week's episode and that thing with the woodchipper made be think the same thing. That looked really dangerous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Don't forget the series finale of Survivorman Friday night!

He'll be in Papua New Guinea.

Do you - or anyone - know why this is the last episode?

There's so many more places to Survive!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

redshirt posted:

Do you - or anyone - know why this is the last episode?

There's so many more places to Survive!

Les said all those weeks alone in harsh conditions are taking their toll on his body and mind.

koruptid
Jan 26, 2008
:haw:
Now they need to end Man vs. Wild and create a show with Les and Bear as roommates.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

koruptid posted:

Now they need to end Man vs. Wild and create a show with Les and Bear as roommates.

That wouldn't work, Bear would be in a hotel the entire time.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Good episode to go out on for Les. Not much happened, but he seemed to enjoy the experience. Good luck on wherever your next journey takes you. :canada:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Les said all those weeks alone in harsh conditions are taking their toll on his body and mind.

That's too bad, I was hoping for the classic crazy gimmick final season to milk the ratings one last time, like "Survivorman: Urban Jungle". I'd totally watch another 13 episodes of Les being dropped off in the middle of Compton or damaged New Orleans or something, rolling over dead bums to get their whiskey and setting traps for pigeon dinners.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Watching Dirty Jobs and it's been said, but the guy from Vexcon Exterminators should really be the singer for some Christian metal band or something because he's like the worst exterminator ever.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Has anyone said what's Les is doing next? Did he just get tired of getting sick and hungry all the time for the cameras?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Noghri_ViR posted:

Has anyone said what's Les is doing next? Did he just get tired of getting sick and hungry all the time for the cameras?

Yea, basically. He said that lugging around 50 lbs. of camera gear while starving for a week really takes its toll on a person after awhile.

I'm really going to miss the show, but I'm glad he's stopping now while the quality is good. I'd hate to see him just do arbitrary poo poo to boost ratings for another season.

In reality, over the course of all three seasons, he's pretty much done all the classic scenarios anyone is likely to encounter. We've pretty much covered all of basic survival training, so there's not much left to show.

According to an article I read last week, he's actually been credited with saving two people's lives. One was a Canadian guy whose snowmobile ran out of gas. He survived for a few days by eating snow to stay hydrated. He managed to use visual clues and get himself to safety after a few days.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teek posted:

Good episode to go out on for Les. Not much happened, but he seemed to enjoy the experience. Good luck on wherever your next journey takes you. :canada:

I felt like it was a pretty bad episode for Les -- what with the making GBS threads and vomiting for days. Add to that no food, and he must have been in misery. He seemed very subdued for the show.

I'll miss you Les! Happy trails wherever they lead.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The being sick part wasn't so great, but I think from what he said, the experience of being able to film with those people and take part in their ceremony meant a lot to him, especially since it was his final episode.

When he was by the river and those two villagers came walking up to him holding machetes?... It looked like they were coming to kill him. Queue Les never being found but his camera and tapes are.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 21, 2008

37ArmsToBind
Jun 30, 2007

Every Thug Needs A Lady
Witnessing Mike Rowe slaughter a shark has killed a part of me.

I keep trying to rationalize that it's for :science: but ... the eye :byodood:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Isn’t Les the same guy that would go live with a random Tribe for a few weeks at film the entire thing? I really want to see new episodes of that since it was always a interesting watch.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Isn’t Les the same guy that would go live with a random Tribe for a few weeks at film the entire thing? I really want to see new episodes of that since it was always a interesting watch.

Going Tribal? That was a different dude, I think he was british. That show was awesome as hell though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

37ArmsToBind posted:

Witnessing Mike Rowe slaughter a shark has killed a part of me.

I keep trying to rationalize that it's for :science: but ... the eye :byodood:

I was just laughing at how many times they took a break to say "Look, just so you know, we don't mindlessly slaughter sharks for fun, she was hurt and we need to do this to learn more about this species. DON'T WORRY! They're plentiful and not endangered in any way." "Now cut out her eye, and slice off a piece of the spine." "By the way, can we get your boss over here to explain why this is OK?" Cue explanation again.

Everyone knows that it's wrong to mindlessly slaughter animals for entertainment. But they were on a scientific expedition and it was the reason they were there. I could've done without the PETA-don't-sue-us bullshit every 5 minutes.

Understeer posted:

My local cable company finally picked up Discovery Channel HD. Will Planet Earth be rebroadcast anytime in the near future, or did I miss the boat?

Saw a commercial for it tonight during Dirty Jobs. According to my FiOS guide, the first 4 parts are on 12/28 at 7PM EST (repeats at 11PM). The remaining 3 are on 1/4 at 8PM EST.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Jedi posted:

Saw a commercial for it tonight during Dirty Jobs. According to my FiOS guide, the first 4 parts are on 12/28 at 7PM EST (repeats at 11PM). The remaining 3 are on 1/4 at 8PM EST.

The problem is, are they the British ones or are they the ones with Sigourney Weaver?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The problem is, are they the British ones or are they the ones with Sigourney Weaver?

Well, for two episodes (Fresh Water and Pole to Pole) it says "Sigourney Weaver narrates...", for the rest it says "Naturalists explore..."

So, in conclusion: I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Discovery only runs the Sigourney Weaver narrated version. If you want the british ones you'll have to get the disks.

• Locked thread