Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cmorrow001 posted:

Windshield wiper recommendations?

Mine need replacing and I'm trying to decide whether to get more OEM ones or something different. I'm hoping for something that will last a while.
If it is yunder 3 years 36k, subaru gives you free ones.
After that I like Bosch microedges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

See, I've seen microedges recommended all the time, but I've never had luck with them.

They always seem to leave a smeary film of water on the windshield that takes a few moments to clear basically giving you this sort of trail effect from the wipers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

See, I've seen microedges recommended all the time, but I've never had luck with them.

They always seem to leave a smeary film of water on the windshield that takes a few moments to clear basically giving you this sort of trail effect from the wipers.
Honestly, I've never found a wiper that works to my satisfaction after about 2 uses. However, I find the microedges to last the longest without sucking too much.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A lot of people on the Forester forum have been raving about the "Aero" wipers from the 2009 Forester.
If you have an Impreza the 2008 STI ones will fit. I put them on my brother's Outback Sport and they seem good.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

MMD3 posted:

I finally got word from the dealership that Saab is sending out a brand new transmission to take care of my reverse skipping/clicking issue in my 92x aero.

Wooh! What do I need to know about breaking in a new transmission?

See? Told you the warranty should take care of everything :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
With my dad's 2003 WRX it was pretty hard to get the dealer to acknowledge any problem with the transmission, I think because they were told by Subaru to try and deny any boy racers who had been racing, etc. I went to a different dealer 80 miles away, and they acknowledged, yes, grinding going into first gear at a complete stop is not normal. :) So yeah, sometimes it can be some work to get that work done. Glad MMD3 didn't have the same trouble I did!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

bull3964 posted:

:words:

I really think that the AI Subaru super thread should refrain from too much of the sti v. wrx debate. Really, we're better than that, I think we can all agree that they're both awesome cars.

That was why I edited my post to basically say so much, that the wrx is great, but so is the sti. I personally, wanted an sti over a wrx, but I totally understand if someone gets the wrx instead and will still compliment them for their excellent taste in cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

That was why I edited my post to basically say so much, that the wrx is great, but so is the sti. I personally, wanted an sti over a wrx, but I totally understand if someone gets the wrx instead and will still compliment them for their excellent taste in cars.

True.

Turns out I need an new LCA, tie rods, and a wheel. loving hell. I barely tapped the drat curb too.
At leats the coilover is OK and I got a new used wheel (with no defects) for $125.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mat_Drinks posted:

I really think that the AI Subaru super thread should refrain from too much of the sti v. wrx debate. Really, we're better than that, I think we can all agree that they're both awesome cars.

True.

I just find it amusing how a few little changes can make a car much more desirable. A year ago I was set on replacing my 2002 WRX with an STI, but now I'm just not finding it as compelling for the price premium.

On another note, I think my car is acting out for attention. I bought a house back in August and from the time I started looking for one to now (since it's occupying much of my time doing work on it), the car has a mounting list of problems that I need to address.

Before I started looking early this year., the acc belt on the AC pump started slipping. Oh well, I'll get to it. In early june, I was taking the wheels off from an autocross and busted off one of the lugnuts that the dolts at the dealership cross threaded at one point in time. Crap.

I wasn't about to shell out what the dealer would want to replace it since it's all of a $2.50 part so I did it myself. It figures it was a back wheel. Had to take off the drum and move the abs ring to get access.

Got it back together and fixed. Damnit, now my abs is cycling at low speed rolling stops. Either I damaged the ABS sensor somehow or the ring is out of alignment somehow. Too much to do, I'll take care of it later.

A month or so later, I was backing out of my garage and the car was acting like the emergency brake was still on. Before I could stop, I heard a pop and everything was fine. Ok.... Damnit, now I have a clicking like a card in bicycle wheels. I have enough time to get the car up on jackstands and check to make sure the wheels were rotating true and there was no play to ensure I wasn't going to lose a wheel bearing. Everything seemed fine. Too much to do, I'll take care of it later.

About 2 months ago, I was leaving work, and the check engine light came on. Hoped it was bad gas and it would go away so let it go for awhile. No dice. Tried pulling the battery connection to clear it, it comes back within 10 seconds of turning the car back on. Damnit. It's not flashing so it's only an emissions code and the car runs fine otherwise. Too much to do, I'll take care of it later.

Then I notice that something sounds louder. It almost sounds like more turbo spool. I check to make sure there are no obvious leaks, I can't find any. I'm currently operating under the hope/assumption that the other acc belt isn't too happy anymore and the additional noise I hear that I think sounds like a louder spool may just be the nosier belts. Car performs the same otherwise. This happened pretty recently so I haven't dealt with it yet.

I also seem to have a shudder that comes through the steering wheel that's most apparent under heavy breaking, but I can also feel it at speed a bit as well. I'm guessing it may be a wheel balance issue and I haven't had a chance to swap the front and rear tires to see if it changes anything. Increasing tire pressure did seem to help some.

Then, last week, as if my car was saying "You, yes you, I'm pissed at you." the damage done by the infamous loose front seat bolt came to a head and the bolt ripped and pulled through the seat rail. Now I have the left front corner of the seat being secured by a c-clamp while I spend $73 on ordering a rail.

Sigh. Nothing major, just a ton of small issues to take care of at worst time of year. I do have an attached garage, but it's a little cramped to work in and isn't directly heated. It would be nicer if I could use my nice big level concrete driveway that I got with this house, but not when it's 20 degrees outside.

Oh well, the car IS getting old. I bought it December 15th, 2001 (it was built in july), so I will have owned it for 7 years on Monday. Just clocked over 87,000 miles. It had 22 when I drove off the lot.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

I finally took some pictures of my black Friday purchase :)

That's right, the temptation of the discounted STI and 0% apr proved to be too much for me. I traded in my 06 LGT towards the above 08 DGM STI. I'm super happy with it so far and I haven't even broken 1000 miles (328 as of 5 minutes ago :) ). Big thanks to TheSlaughter who works at a Subaru dealership local to me.

Well at least I'm not the only one. Here's mine, got it with 8 miles on the clock the Saturday after black Friday and now have about 750 on it thanks to a couple of trips here and there. This included taking my friend to get his (WRB with gold BBS) tonight. After riding in mine and hearing about the deal, he couldn't resist either. I can't wait to get a few more miles on mine so I can not feel so bad about flogging it a bit.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Lazor posted:

Well at least I'm not the only one. Here's mine, got it with 8 miles on the clock the Saturday after black Friday and now have about 750 on it thanks to a couple of trips here and there. This included taking my friend to get his (WRB with gold BBS) tonight. After riding in mine and hearing about the deal, he couldn't resist either. I can't wait to get a few more miles on mine so I can not feel so bad about flogging it a bit.

Looking good! You're farther along than I am. 350 miles and just put my first tank of gas in it today!

:):hf::)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mat_Drinks posted:

Looking good! You're farther along than I am. 350 miles and just put my first tank of gas in it today!

:):hf::)

Waiting through the break in period in a turbo car has to be hell. Forbidden boostu :smith:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am dreading the week or so where I won't be able to do runs up to redline.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

True.

I just find it amusing how a few little changes can make a car much more desirable. A year ago I was set on replacing my 2002 WRX with an STI, but now I'm just not finding it as compelling for the price premium.

Oh well, the car IS getting old. I bought it December 15th, 2001 (it was built in july), so I will have owned it for 7 years on Monday. Just clocked over 87,000 miles. It had 22 when I drove off the lot.

You have an 02 WRX with drums in the rear?? I thought they came with discs in the rear, I've never seen one with rear drums.

Also I have an 02 with 78k on it, and the only thing that it's needed so far has been brake pads and regular various fluid changes, it runs like a top. Weird.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 9, 2008

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

TurboLuvah posted:

You have an 02 WRX with drums in the rear?? I thought they came with discs in the rear, I've never seen one with rear drums.

The rear drum brake is the hand/parking brake.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

dreggory posted:

Which, I might add, is brilliant. The first time I saw it I was completely confused finding a drum brake under the cap of the rotor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, drum in hat setup is pretty nice. That is until you need to do something with the hub then it becomes annoying and in the way.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

dreggory posted:

Ahh gotchya, I was so confused for a moment :)

Edit: bull3964 you've cursed me. This morning when I drove my car the parking brake didn't have the racheting noise when you pull it up and now it feels like it's holding very loose. Get away from my car! :argh:

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 10, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Pickup date: Thursday evening.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

I am dreading the week or so where I won't be able to do runs up to redline.

A week psh. I rolled through my 1k miles in like 3-4 days. Just need to find excuses to drive everywhere.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zsbaug24 posted:

A week psh. I rolled through my 1k miles in like 3-4 days. Just need to find excuses to drive everywhere.

The problem is moving and finishing up at work all at this same time.

Ultimate Pal
Sep 23, 2005
Hello AI. I picked up this practically brand new 05 this spring with less than 3k miles on it. It’s been nothing but awesome so far.

Raganti
Sep 25, 2007
I AM TO CHEAP TO BUY AN ACCOUNT!

Ultimate Pal posted:

Hello AI. I picked up this practically brand new 05 this spring with less than 3k miles on it. It’s been nothing but awesome so far.

How much was it for being so untouched basically? Any more photos?

Ultimate Pal
Sep 23, 2005

Raganti posted:

How much was it for being so untouched basically? Any more photos?

I don’t have a lot of pictures, but here’s one of the engine. It’s a pretty good example of the whole car’s pristineness.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I paid about 25k back in April. Seems like there are better deals to be had these days, no regrets though. Came with a clear bra, tint, car cover, trunk liner, and a Pioneer Avic unit too.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Ultimate Pal posted:

How is this possible? Did someone buy it and forget about it? I put that much on my car in a month and I dont even drive much, poo poo.

Im immensely jealous because this is what I wanted to purchase, but I couldnt afford the extra ~5-6k "STi" tax. I instead grabbed an 04 WRX but it came with some goodies on it so I am content. Congrats on joining the Subaru family.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

http://ytrewq.org/wrx/IMG_0182.jpg
http://ytrewq.org/wrx/IMG_0183.jpg
http://ytrewq.org/wrx/IMG_0184.jpg

The car somehow never had the fogs installed, so they are doing that. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get it until after the weekend because I'm moving. I also forgot my copy of my lease here in Franklin, so I have to wait until Monday to do all the registration.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Next week I get to pay off my used 2002 Protege 5, pay off most or all of my Visa, and am free to hopefully hit up the Subaru dealer near work to talk about a new 2009 Impreza 5 door Sport. So excited. I'll need Rally Armor and winter tires on steel rims though to really enjoy it.

It snowed a bunch last night which was fun, but my hand brake is broken on my car so I can't really have with it. It's also slow to get moving in the snow which kinda sucks.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ScaryFast posted:

It snowed a bunch last night which was fun, but my hand brake is broken on my car so I can't really have with it. It's also slow to get moving in the snow which kinda sucks.

Having owned a Protege5 and now a 02 Impreza the Subaru will absolutely dust the Protege5 in snow. My main problem with the P5 was that it was so rev happy in first gear that you'd pretty much spin the tires starting out every time if you weren't really light on the throttle.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I saw an STI at a light a few nights ago that took off like a rocket in the snow, and it sounded so awesome. I want a WRX but don't want to pay for it and I'm not a manual fan either so a normal Sport with auto will be fine for me. Yes I know I'm an idiot(not really) for preferring auto.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ScaryFast posted:

Next week I get to pay off my used 2002 Protege 5, pay off most or all of my Visa, and am free to hopefully hit up the Subaru dealer near work to talk about a new 2009 Impreza 5 door Sport. So excited. I'll need Rally Armor and winter tires on steel rims though to really enjoy it.

the best part is that you won't need an ebrake to do it in a subaru :)

God, i want my car back!

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

The car somehow never had the fogs installed, so they are doing that. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get it until after the weekend because I'm moving. I also forgot my copy of my lease here in Franklin, so I have to wait until Monday to do all the registration.

Took long enough!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Took long enough!

And it's still not over!

I need to get my lease, fax it to Village, take lease and bill of sale to Nashua town hall to get temp plates and application for registration, call insurance company to get binder faxed to Village, bring application for registration back to Village for them to fill out, and then I have to send in my paper work for vanity plates. All the while moving from the MA/RI border to the NH/MA border and finishing my last week of work where I am now.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!
Thanks for the advice in this thread guys, A week ago I went ahead and purchased my 2008 Impreza WRX. I would post pictures but shortly thereafter some dickhead decided my front bumper needed a nice sized scrape, so less than 300 miles into a new car I get to go to the body shop.

Anyone know if they can sand down and just repaint these plastic panels from scrapes, or they just going to tell me to buy another? This poo poo isn't cheap.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Qapf posted:

Thanks for the advice in this thread guys, A week ago I went ahead and purchased my 2008 Impreza WRX. I would post pictures but shortly thereafter some dickhead decided my front bumper needed a nice sized scrape, so less than 300 miles into a new car I get to go to the body shop.

Anyone know if they can sand down and just repaint these plastic panels from scrapes, or they just going to tell me to buy another? This poo poo isn't cheap.

If its THAT new, I have seen some dealers buff it out for their customers real quick (if you can buff it out that is.)

poo poo like this pisses me off to no end. Im glad mine has folding mirrors, for not two days after I bought mine I come out of the store and and drivers side mirror is completely bent outwards toward the front of the car, and scratched. It means someone hit the drat thing while parking, went into the store, shopped, and then got back into their car and left as if nothing ever happened.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I see 3 of these on CL any given day. Recession. :(

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/954100641.html
07 STI - 27k miles - clean title - dealer offered - unmodified - factory warranty.

$25990

I feel I should buy this car. I could realistically pay it off within a year with a trade in.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Coffee Jones posted:

I see 3 of these on CL any given day. Recession. :(

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/954100641.html
07 STI - 27k miles - clean title - dealer offered - unmodified - factory warranty.

$25990

I feel I should buy this car. I could realistically pay it off within a year with a trade in.

I dunno man:

quote:

Transmission: 6 Spd Automatic

You really want an auto?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

ab0z posted:

I dunno man:

You really want an auto?

I saw that. The STI isn't offered with an auto (at least I don't think so, it shouldn't be), and the pics show a stick.

I'm worried that buying a used STI means that it spent those 26,000 miles at redline

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 12, 2008

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Qapf posted:

Man that sucks :(

If it is anything like the plastic panels on my Forester, they are supposed to be replaced if they need to be painted. My paint on my bumper got messed up in a minor wreck and they had to replace the bumper. I asked my wife about it (she's an insurance adjuster) and she said that Subaru repair specs on the front and rear bumper covers state that they aren't supposed to be sanded and repainted. I know my bumpers are textured and apparently it's not part of the paint but part of the bumper, so sanding would gently caress it up. The body shop guy said the same thing.

I haven't looked that close at a WRX bumper so it might be different. But if it is textured, it probably can't be sanded.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ScaryFast posted:

I saw an STI at a light a few nights ago that took off like a rocket in the snow, and it sounded so awesome. I want a WRX but don't want to pay for it and I'm not a manual fan either so a normal Sport with auto will be fine for me. Yes I know I'm an idiot(not really) for preferring auto.

The auto is so mindboggling bad and unsuited to the turbo engines that you should just get an Audi A3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

And it's still not over!

I need to get my lease, fax it to Village, take lease and bill of sale to Nashua town hall to get temp plates and application for registration, call insurance company to get binder faxed to Village, bring application for registration back to Village for them to fill out, and then I have to send in my paper work for vanity plates. All the while moving from the MA/RI border to the NH/MA border and finishing my last week of work where I am now.

Goddamn, should have made the dealer do all that legwork for you.