Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Alrighty then, I'm committed now, my Bronica ETR-C has arrived with 74mm and 150mm lens and I'm planning a shoot this weekend, hopefully catching some of the interesting winter sunlight we get up here in the frozen north. So now that that is done, I'm looking for opinions on this setup.
From our local CL-
"zone 6 cold light enlarger (south anc)
Reply to: sale-925792626@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-19, 10:33AM AKST

Leaving state. Need to sell a zone 6 cold light enlarger with timer. Has not been set-up for several years. A very nice piece of equipment. Comes with drying screens, chemical bottles, print washer, and lots of other misc equipment.

All offers considered. "

I emailed for some particulars-a 120 carrier and the proper lens will be mandatory and got this reply (edited for relevance)

"80 or. 90 mm schneider lens

Yes set of gf filters

Yes 120 film carrier

I paid over $ 4000 in 1993 I have no idea what it is worth. It is really nice the timer alone was $450. "

Given that film equipment in general has tanked value wise, can anyone give me a fair to unfair starting price on this? I'm not even sure what a Zone 6 enlarger is, and looking it up has given me the impression that the Zone 6 part is the light source that attached to a enlarger. Any feedback appreicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STA
Jul 30, 2003

You still think swastikas look cool The real Nazis run your schools

Gnomad posted:

Alrighty then, I'm committed now, my Bronica ETR-C has arrived with 74mm and 150mm lens and I'm planning a shoot this weekend, hopefully catching some of the interesting winter sunlight we get up here in the frozen north. So now that that is done, I'm looking for opinions on this setup.
From our local CL-
"zone 6 cold light enlarger (south anc)
Reply to: sale-925792626@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-19, 10:33AM AKST

Leaving state. Need to sell a zone 6 cold light enlarger with timer. Has not been set-up for several years. A very nice piece of equipment. Comes with drying screens, chemical bottles, print washer, and lots of other misc equipment.

All offers considered. "

I emailed for some particulars-a 120 carrier and the proper lens will be mandatory and got this reply (edited for relevance)

"80 or. 90 mm schneider lens

Yes set of gf filters

Yes 120 film carrier

I paid over $ 4000 in 1993 I have no idea what it is worth. It is really nice the timer alone was $450. "

Given that film equipment in general has tanked value wise, can anyone give me a fair to unfair starting price on this? I'm not even sure what a Zone 6 enlarger is, and looking it up has given me the impression that the Zone 6 part is the light source that attached to a enlarger. Any feedback appreicated.

Well i saw you posted this on apug, but I found this with some info on the enlarger. As for a price i have no clue. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/21075-zone-vi-enlarger.html

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

Gnomad posted:

Well, first, figure out which 120 carrier comes with it; there are several formats out there. And see if the seller cal give you a model number, because that'll help determine the price.

If it's a standard 35mm/medium-format enlarger, $400-$450 is pretty much the most he could sell it for, depending on what your local market's like. He bought it fairly recently, and new enlargers still cost into the thousands, so he may be reluctant to part with it if you make him too low an offer.

A large-format enlarger can go for more, but without knowing the model it's hard to say.

From what we know, and the fact that it comes with pretty much everything, $400 might be a good starting point.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
I just licked the exposed tape on some 120 ilford for the first time and was surprised to find a pleasant mint taste. Yummy!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to get over my hang ups about taking people's pictures on the street, protests help.

To add some film discussion, the Neopan isn't quite as contrasty as that shot makes it look. I just didn't expose that one as well as I should have. Over all it has a very nice tonal range. I'll definitely be shooting more of it.

The Westboro Baptist Church (the "god hates fags" people) are gracing us with their presence today. Hopefully they and the counter-demonstrations will provide a more sizable group to work with.

wait, wha??? they came to Portland?

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

MMD3 posted:

wait, wha??? they came to Portland?

Yeah. Well, 4 of them. They seemed bored. They started off at PSU and then went to the German and Swedish consulates, because God hates them, apparently.

They went down to Silverton to protest the new mayor, Stu. I went to high school in Silverton. Stu is a man, but dresses like a woman and has had breast implants. He isn't actually gay, he has a girlfriend. I'm not up on my terminology, so I don't know what that makes him. The Westboro people inform me that God hates him anyway.

I didn't really get any shots I was terribly happy with. I didn't notice at first that they're all standing on flags (all 4 of them...).

Ok, sorry for hijacking the thread, everyone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Celluloid
Jan 28, 2006
mad scientist

Tigertron posted:

I just licked the exposed tape on some 120 ilford for the first time and was surprised to find a pleasant mint taste. Yummy!
Each brand tastes a bit different. It's always a suprise when I havent shot 120 in a while.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

They went down to Silverton to protest the new mayor, Stu. I went to high school in Silverton. Stu is a man, but dresses like a woman and has had breast implants. He isn't actually gay, he has a girlfriend. I'm not up on my terminology, so I don't know what that makes him. The Westboro people inform me that God hates him anyway.

zuh, seriously? that's not something I'd ever expect to happen in Silverton.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
My first two rolls of film (Neopan 400) have been developed and several problems have cropped up.
First of all, the scanner I borrowed isn't the best, but the friend I borrowed it from mentioned his mother has an unused film scanner so I might snap that up. Until then, my pictures are going to look an extra 50 years older.

In the first photo, I'm not sure whether my Yashica GSN has a backfocusing problem or it's a mistake I made when focusing the subject in the center, then recomposing.

EDIT: Found a different way to edit the negatives and replaced the photo with an updated version

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 29, 2008

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Is there a consensus that developing T-max film using dilution "b" with hc110 is to fast and a 1:63 (doubled) dilution allows for better control when developing? I have read contradictory statement from Kodax explaining that diluting that far causes more grain and a slower ISO. Also hc-110 develops T-max400 at ISO 320 not sure what that means for my film and developing times can anyone tell me how they go about the process?

Right now I am using the 1:63 ratio with satisfactory results though I need to adjust the developing times to be longer but I started with this dilution from the begining and have not tried the published times or dilution.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Dilution B works just great for Tmax films. It is what almost everyone in my school's photo lab uses, and I've seen some great results from it.
Tmax itself isn't to my liking, but if you like rather grainless, full tonal negs, then it's a great combo.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Went and bought a Bronica ETR-C, tried to find my processing gear and enlarger. Found the tank and reel for 120, and also found a stash of old negatives that I hadn't seen for a loooong time now, from 1983. These were taken on HP5 in a Yashica MAT 124G. That camera has been gone for years, I sold it a decade ago for roughly what I paid for it-when I was looking at medium format stuff on ebay, I saw that the 124's weren't that far off from list price, but other gear sure is. I'm glad I didn't have a bunch of high priced Bronica and Hasselblad gear laying around, that stuff is pennies on the dollar these days.

The scanner I'm using is a second hand store Epson Perfection 1670. It came without a film holder, and the film holder isn't set up for 120 anyway, so I made my own, which took a fair bit of experimentation. Mostly, I wanted to see if it was going to be at all practical to combine analog and digital work before spending the money on a "real" scanner, I'm thinking Epson V500.

All these were taken along the Seward Highway in Alaska in February 1983.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Found a good deal (free, lol) on two rolls of expired (4 months) Ilford Delta 3200. I shot it at 6400 (night street life), and was wondering if I should go with diafine or a traditional process?
I liked tri-x 400 @ 1250 ISO in diafine, and I think for what I shot, grain would probably be a plus.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody have any experience with Voigtlander rangefinders? I get the impression they're basically just a poor man's Leica. True?

The r2a/r3a in particular have me pretty interested but I think it'll have to wait until after I'm able to save my pennies up for a 5d MkII.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtr2ar3a.htm

I especially like these results

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The Voigtlander RFs are by no means a "poor man's Leica." They are in some ways better than the Leica RFs. They are newer, have more modern feature-sets, and yes, are much, much cheaper.The Leicas are great cameras, but I'd put them closer to equals, just different tradeoffs for each.
Some people will tout Leica's supposedly better build quality, but this should not be taken to mean that the Bessas are poorly made. They can take a beating, and feel solid. I have no doubt my Bessa could take a few falls and would keep on ticking.

That, and they are made to use ltm/m mount lenses, which are the real draw for most serious Leica users (not collectors). You will be able to choose from all of the Leica catalogue, in addition to the wonderful offerings from Zeiss, Voigtlander (Cosina), Minolta, and many others.

Also: Really nice, bright framelines.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Reichstag posted:

The Voigtlander RFs are by no means a "poor man's Leica." They are in some ways better than the Leica RFs. They are newer, have more modern feature-sets, and yes, are much, much cheaper.The Leicas are great cameras, but I'd put them closer to equals, just different tradeoffs for each.
Some people will tout Leica's supposedly better build quality, but this should not be taken to mean that the Bessas are poorly made. They can take a beating, and feel solid. I have no doubt my Bessa could take a few falls and would keep on ticking.

That, and they are made to use ltm/m mount lenses, which are the real draw for most serious Leica users (not collectors). You will be able to choose from all of the Leica catalogue, in addition to the wonderful offerings from Zeiss, Voigtlander (Cosina), Minolta, and many others.

Also: Really nice, bright framelines.

which frame do you have? Is there such a thing as an autofocus RF? Unfortunately I've never known anyone with a rangefinder to actually be able to try them out. Since I do primarily concert photography I'd be looking at buying the widest aperture lens I could find, likely a 40mm f/1.4, and realistically I'd be shooting wide open or nearly wide open at most venues I go to. (I suppose that's not the case if I use iso 3200 though).

My major concern is that when I'm shooting wide open the action moves too fast for me to use manual focus. I'm constantly switching subjects and the performers are moving back and forth all through the show. I've heard range finders are easier to determine proper focus with in low light settings but never having used one I just don't know.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MMD3 posted:

which frame do you have? Is there such a thing as an autofocus RF? Unfortunately I've never known anyone with a rangefinder to actually be able to try them out. Since I do primarily concert photography I'd be looking at buying the widest aperture lens I could find, likely a 40mm f/1.4, and realistically I'd be shooting wide open or nearly wide open at most venues I go to. (I suppose that's not the case if I use iso 3200 though).

My major concern is that when I'm shooting wide open the action moves too fast for me to use manual focus. I'm constantly switching subjects and the performers are moving back and forth all through the show. I've heard range finders are easier to determine proper focus with in low light settings but never having used one I just don't know.

AF Rangefinders do exist, but are not popular. The contax G-series are AF only (except for a neutered MF), and have some astounding lenses, though the AF isn't great.

The Nokton 40/1.4 is a great lens, and you should be able to focus it well on any of the Bessas with 50mm framelines. You're going to have to get used to manual focus if you want to move to using an RF for fast motion situations. It's all about practice and knowing how to previsualize. A lot of what I do in fast motion situations is pre-focusing and adjusting blindly to the situation (guessing). But if you know your gear well enough, it often works out quite well.
Depending on what you're planning to shoot, an RF might not be the best choice. I wouldn't recommend them for sports or wildlife, for instance, but other fast situations are where they shine (street, journalism). I've seen some great concert photography with Rangefinders, but ymmv.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I borrowed an AE-1 from a friend to see if I wanted to start playing with film again. Turns out I got bit by the film bug hard, so I'm looking to get an AE-1 of my own. Is ebay generally a good place for photo equipment this old? I'm worried that I'll get one and have light leaks or something when I get it.

That said, how much would it cost to get one serviced?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Frinkahedron posted:

I borrowed an AE-1 from a friend to see if I wanted to start playing with film again. Turns out I got bit by the film bug hard, so I'm looking to get an AE-1 of my own. Is ebay generally a good place for photo equipment this old? I'm worried that I'll get one and have light leaks or something when I get it.

Edit-or you could check Craigslist. Thsi would be just what the doctor ordered, eh? http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pho/953479571.html

Have you checked your local second hand stores, Starvation Army, Goodwill, etc? There are some bargains turning up there these days, also, pawn shops are practically tossing film gear at you just fro walking in the door. I saw a guy buy a Leica for $100..... guess I missed that one.

A local sewing/craft shop had 2mm foam squares, the perfect thickness for light seals. All of 59 cents a square. I trimmed off some thin strips and resealed my creaky old Minolta X-700. As for the rest of what a service costs, can't help you there, likely it will run you as much or more than the camera itself if you shop carefully.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 11, 2008

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Frinkahedron posted:

I've always gotten the bodies from eBay and lenses from KEH for Canon FD mount gear.

Garry's Camera charges $53 including shipping for clean, lube and adjust (CLA) of a Canon AE-1.

izul
Jun 24, 2007
paranoid schizophrenic

Gnomad posted:

/b8e/b8e9a9e823e221bb3d155dc766addbeb_00a.jpg[/timg]

[timg]http://www.fotothing.com/photos

/054/0547a5727f1b4bc2b472826b286442fc_00a.jpg[/timg]

I like this one. You can see significant banding in the other two, especially in the sky, but is it really worth the money...you're probably better off with the negatives.

Becks
Jul 13, 2006
Bulletproof
Am I the only one who think that out of focus background (bokeh if you will) looks better on film for some reason?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gnomad posted:

also, pawn shops are practically tossing film gear at you just fro walking in the door. I saw a guy buy a Leica for $100..... guess I missed that one.

drat, I'm gonna have to check up on this. Good idea.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

drat, I'm gonna have to check up on this. Good idea.

One local Cash America had an older OM1 for $30, and a Nikon N65 with the quantaray kit zoom for $50. Keep in mind that even Cash America will dicker a bit and you can treat the one time state of the art cameras like one shot disposables, or keep trying different cameras until you find the one you like.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Becks posted:

Am I the only one who think that out of focus background (bokeh if you will) looks better on film for some reason?

Film, as compared to APS-c digital sensors, will have smaller DOF at similar fields of view, so it generally looks as though more of the frame is out of focus, or more out of focus, but aside from that I hadn't really noticed a difference. Though I suspect if you asked that question of Flickr everyone would agree with you.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can anyone recommend a cheapish film SLR for someone who has never used film before? I'm getting a Holga next week to play around with as it's cheap, but if I get into film I might buy a film SLR.

I've got a Nikon dSLR with the 50mm 1.8D, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200, and the 105mm 2.8 VR micro lenses, so I'd probably get a Nikon (F-mount) so I can use the same lenses, probably the 50mm the most.

I'd also get it off eBay or somewhere like that, I'm not bothered about it being new. I'm in the UK by the way.

Edit: Also I wouldn't be averse to other kinds of cameras, e.g. rangefinders. I only mention getting an SLR as I already have some lenses for my D50 that I could use.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Frinkahedron posted:

Get the T70 instead if you can find it. Basically the same camera just with more nifty tech stuff (like autoexposure etc)

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Xanin posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheapish film SLR for someone who has never used film before? I'm getting a Holga next week to play around with as it's cheap, but if I get into film I might buy a film SLR.

I've got a Nikon dSLR with the 50mm 1.8D, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200, and the 105mm 2.8 VR micro lenses, so I'd probably get a Nikon (F-mount) so I can use the same lenses, probably the 50mm the most.

I'd also get it off eBay or somewhere like that, I'm not bothered about it being new. I'm in the UK by the way.

Edit: Also I wouldn't be averse to other kinds of cameras, e.g. rangefinders. I only mention getting an SLR as I already have some lenses for my D50 that I could use.

Look up lens compatibility; only the 50 and 105 are suitable for film, and the 105 would need a more modern camera b/c its aperture is set digitally. As an aside, all Nikons are F-mounts since the 50s or 60s or something, but not all are safe to mount on all cameras.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Voigtlander rangefinders? I get the impression they're basically just a poor man's Leica. True?
The Voigtlander rangefinders are pretty sweet. They're not built to the same standard as a Leica, but they're very good quality machines, and the lenses are great. I promised myself I wouldn't baby my R3M, and it's been nothing but reliable in the years I've owned it (samples here).

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Get the T70 instead if you can find it. Basically the same camera just with more nifty tech stuff (like autoexposure etc)
Ugh the T70 is gross :barf:

I'd take an AE-1 or an A-1 any day over one of those... or at least a T90.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Luxmore posted:

The Voigtlander rangefinders are pretty sweet. They're not built to the same standard as a Leica, but they're very good quality machines, and the lenses are great. I promised myself I wouldn't baby my R3M, and it's been nothing but reliable in the years I've owned it (samples here).

I don't suppose you know anyone in Portland that I could rent/borrow a rangefinder from? I just want to get my hands on one to try them out at a concert and see how well I can determine wide aperture focusing in the low-light conditions of a music venue.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gnomad posted:

also, pawn shops are practically tossing film gear at you just fro walking in the door. I saw a guy buy a Leica for $100..... guess I missed that one.

I wish that were the case here, the local pawn shops are ridiculous. Beat up Nikon N80? $300. Beat up Sears brand 70-200 lens? $200. Etc.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I wish that were the case here, the local pawn shops are ridiculous. Beat up Nikon N80? $300. Beat up Sears brand 70-200 lens? $200. Etc.

Yeah, people have some fanciful notions about the value of their old gear.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

MMD3 posted:

I don't suppose you know anyone in Portland that I could rent/borrow a rangefinder from? I just want to get my hands on one to try them out at a concert and see how well I can determine wide aperture focusing in the low-light conditions of a music venue.
You can borrow mine if you don't mind driving 8 hours north and taking a boat.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Decent digital gear is getting down under that level. Nobody around here is that delusional. I'm guessing they loaned out a lot more than it's worth a while back and haven't kept up with reality.

Edit-get to know the folks at your local Starvation Army. I went in today to have a look around, I've missed some stuff in the recent past but today was my lucky-ish day. From behind the counter, hadn't even been officially offered up yet, came a Nikon FA with a motor drive, 35-105 Nikkor zoom and a Rokinon 28, a SB15 Speedlight and a case. $65 all together. Beter than a $300 N80. :v:

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 13, 2008

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Seriously, what the hell is a Dim Mak?
Last night I had a dream about exploring Tibetan mountains and in some busted up shack I found a perfectly good Hasselblad and bought it off some dude for $20. I was pretty disappointed when I woke up and realized that I didn't have a new camera.

On the plus side, my girlfriend is going to lend me her dad's camera. Apparently it's some Russian camera from the 80's? I have no clue, but I am stoked to see what it is.

I was wondering if any of you guys wear headphones/earbuds while wearing a neckstrap. I have yet to find a comfortable way to listen to music while lugging around my camera, I always end up with the headphone cords tugging at my head.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MrMeowMeow posted:

I was wondering if any of you guys wear headphones/earbuds while wearing a neckstrap. I have yet to find a comfortable way to listen to music while lugging around my camera, I always end up with the headphone cords tugging at my head.

I just do away with the neckstrap, personally.

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
Would the pressure plate on a Rolleiflex being just slightly out of position cause focus issues? I had a whole roll out of focus, all of them increasingly so toward the bottom of each frame. It wasn't all the way over into the other position, just slightly off which held it back a little. I hope. I don't have any other ideas.

Also, FP4+ is pretty nice stuff. I'd probably have more to say if I weren't so distracted by the focus crap.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Luxmore posted:

What's so gross about it?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

jollygrinch posted:

Would the pressure plate on a Rolleiflex being just slightly out of position cause focus issues? I had a whole roll out of focus, all of them increasingly so toward the bottom of each frame. It wasn't all the way over into the other position, just slightly off which held it back a little. I hope. I don't have any other ideas.

It looks like it's been tilt/shifted, the pressure plate might not be holding the film flat all over, which would explain why some areas are oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

jollygrinch posted:

Also, FP4+ is pretty nice stuff. I'd probably have more to say if I weren't so distracted by the focus crap.

Check the pressure plate, because it does look like the focus varies unevenly over the image. Did it just start doing this recently?

If this is your first roll with the camera, check that the previous owner (or shop) hasn't taken the lens apart to clean it and mistakenly reassembled it slightly crooked. I had something similar (though much more extreme) happen with a Summicron I'd reassembled with a reversed rear element.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's so gross about it?
The grey-paint-over-beige-plastic construction ensures that it will get uglier with wear, and the controls are needlessly obtuse since they hadn't quite figured out how to build a pushbutton interface yet.