Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
A short story about a boy that gets a fancy Koi that turns large, amphibious and carnivorous. Told from the POV of the boy barricaded in his bedroom, the fish starts bashing down his door at the end of the story. I read it when I was fairly young, in the mid-late 80's.

Also, a collection of horror stories centered around children that I am pretty sure did not contain the story above; I read it in the early 90's, probably, and it may have been YA, but it just as easily could have been adult. (Well, not adult adult. You know what I mean.) It was all horror stories that used children as a major plot focus, which means, of course, that they were all loving terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

JoeNotCharles posted:

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

Here's one for the collective:

Nuclear launch codes are embedded in the heart of a child so that if the president wants to go to war, he personally has to rip open the child's chest.

For some reason the kid goes missing and is protected by an adult who was once a child.

They hide out with Art Car type hippies on the West Coast called "Gluers".

It's bugging the crap out of me that I can't remember anything else about this book.

I've read a review of that, or at least seen that plot point mentioned in a review of another book. I remember because it was such a bizarre concept. I'm pretty sure it was one of the books reviewed here.

Nope, it wasn't there. I read them all and didn't find it. Anyone else have a suggestion?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

This is going to be terribly vague but maybe someone can help me find this book. The title of the book almost certainly had Shark in it and for some reason Shark Notes or something along those lines seems familiar. The book also had what I recall being an ASCII picture of a shark on the cover. The book was a sort of out there type of fiction. The fairly recent as well, released within a few years ago I believe.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I haven't read this, but was it The Raw Shark Texts?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

deety posted:

I haven't read this, but was it The Raw Shark Texts?

Yes! Thank you so much!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
A long time ago, I read a horror novel that was by somebody with the last name King. I remember the dedication at the front of the book acted like he was Stephen King's cousin or something, and he was going to "scare the poo poo" out of his famous relative.

I don't remember the name of the book or the author's first name, though. It was a truly awful book, but I had a conversation years after I'd read it that made me want to track it down again, and naturally, I can't.

Tree of Amalion
Sep 6, 2005

This is a book I had when I was a little kid. It was a collection of stories, two of them were The Happy Prince and The Little Mermaid. I think it was called Seven Stories to Tell to Kids or something like that, but I can't seem to find it on google or in my house.

dannyweapons
Apr 21, 2007
sometimes the internet is gross
I seriously doubt anyone can help with this one but a friend and I were trying to remember the title and couldn't.

It's from the 80's bought at a school book fair. It was about a teenaged girl who's sister (I want to say her name was Sam. The sister. I don't remember exactly) ran away and has been missing for a couple of years. Her sister was all perfect and poo poo, so her parents kind of ignore the main character and forget she's around. She does the play "Our Town" and finds out she's a good actress and it makes her feel better about everything and makes her parents pay her attention. Then her sister comes back home but she's all angry and poo poo. The main character decides to try out for West Side Story, in the tomboy part, and her sister convinces her to wear a dress and heels to the audition, so she didn't get the part.

That's about all I can remember. It's a long shot but I thought I'd try.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I read a story/(book?) a while back where it was about how a team of genetically altered scientists were supposed to investigate this mystery spacecraft. Anyway I think it turns out the ship is actually a large chinese room experiment (I think) and they all get mentally and physically messed up by it. (Most/all of them die, i think)

I feel like this was a pretty popular piece of work and that I should remember the name of it but it just isn't coming to me. Help!

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."
I have not actually read this book but i want to find it, i heard about it at the end of an NPR show this past week. The description that i heard of it was loosely:

"The author of the book takes various myths and stories and follows the different interpretations from South America to the North pole"

I thought that it was called "Mythologies" but amazon and Google have not located it for me.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

RandomEffects posted:

I have not actually read this book but i want to find it, i heard about it at the end of an NPR show this past week. The description that i heard of it was loosely:

"The author of the book takes various myths and stories and follows the different interpretations from South America to the North pole"

I thought that it was called "Mythologies" but amazon and Google have not located it for me.

That wouldn't be The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, would it?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

roffles posted:

I read a story/(book?) a while back where it was about how a team of genetically altered scientists were supposed to investigate this mystery spacecraft. Anyway I think it turns out the ship is actually a large chinese room experiment (I think) and they all get mentally and physically messed up by it. (Most/all of them die, i think)

I feel like this was a pretty popular piece of work and that I should remember the name of it but it just isn't coming to me. Help!

This sounds like it might be "I have no mouth but I must scream" by Harlan Ellison (Maybe)

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Out of nowhere the memory of this book came back to me tonight. I remember reading it when I was younger and it's all very vague so I apologise.

Basically these invisible monsters that only cats (and maybe dogs?) show up and start messing things up. I remember at one point they make a building collapse which kills some people. At the end of it, everybody ends up 'emigrating' to a different world or dimension or something.

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A book involving a young boy (high school, I think) in some kind of alternate, somewhat futuristic reality, where the school's end-of-year project involved all students be transported to the middle of nowhere and to fend for themselves.

They can bring any weapons they want, but the protagonist chooses not to because he thinks he will depend on a gun to fight, rather than doing the smart thing and running from a fight with a huge animal.

Eventually, the students band together and start to form a rag-tag society in a central camp. That's about as much as I remember, except they found metal, and when they finally were picked up to end the project, the protagonist didn't want to leave their new society.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Brenton posted:

A book involving a young boy (high school, I think) in some kind of alternate, somewhat futuristic reality, where the school's end-of-year project involved all students be transported to the middle of nowhere and to fend for themselves.

They can bring any weapons they want, but the protagonist chooses not to because he thinks he will depend on a gun to fight, rather than doing the smart thing and running from a fight with a huge animal.

Eventually, the students band together and start to form a rag-tag society in a central camp. That's about as much as I remember, except they found metal, and when they finally were picked up to end the project, the protagonist didn't want to leave their new society.

Sounds like Heinlein's Tunnel In The Sky
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/robert-heinlein/tunnel-in-sky.htm

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It sure is! Thanks a lot.

Chikoto
Jan 29, 2007

Only ashes and silence will remain
I read this book at least 10 years ago (and it probably wasn't a new book at the time), and I suspect the overlap with loads of cliched sci-fi novels may make it difficult to figure this out. But it's been bugging me for a long time and I just want to know what it was.

The premise was that there was an area of the galaxy, which encompassed the earth where objects could not move at the speed of light. As an object moved further from that area, it could move faster. So slow space and fast space. Everything was faster in fast space including computers (can you see where this is going?). Humanity breaks away, starts exploring the galaxy. Finds a planet with a dead civilization, activates a long deactivated computer and activates an artificial intelligence that quickly kills them and goes on a vendetta to wipe out humanity. That was in the intro before the first chapter. I remember at some point that the AIs destructo-ship gets stuck in slow space allowing time for the protagonist to stop it.

So: Rogue AI, Destruction of humanity, Slow/Fast space. That combination ring any bells?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Chikoto posted:

I read this book at least 10 years ago (and it probably wasn't a new book at the time), and I suspect the overlap with loads of cliched sci-fi novels may make it difficult to figure this out. But it's been bugging me for a long time and I just want to know what it was.

The premise was that there was an area of the galaxy, which encompassed the earth where objects could not move at the speed of light. As an object moved further from that area, it could move faster. So slow space and fast space. Everything was faster in fast space including computers (can you see where this is going?). Humanity breaks away, starts exploring the galaxy. Finds a planet with a dead civilization, activates a long deactivated computer and activates an artificial intelligence that quickly kills them and goes on a vendetta to wipe out humanity. That was in the intro before the first chapter. I remember at some point that the AIs destructo-ship gets stuck in slow space allowing time for the protagonist to stop it.

So: Rogue AI, Destruction of humanity, Slow/Fast space. That combination ring any bells?

This sounds similar to a Vernor Vinge novel I once read. I can't remember the exact title, but it was either A Fire Upon the Deep or A Deepness in the Sky (they're in the same universe.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

timeandtide posted:

This sounds similar to a Vernor Vinge novel I once read. I can't remember the exact title, but it was either A Fire Upon the Deep or A Deepness in the Sky (they're in the same universe.)
Probably A Deepness in the Sky, since I've never got more than a few pages into that. A Fire upon the Deep is set during that extinction event but focuses on 2 children who survive when the rest of their ship crew are killed and are taken in by 2 factions of an alien race where the "individuals" are sentient sort-of-dog packs, and I think that's memorable enough that the OP would have mentioned it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The description is a bit inaccurate, but it's much closer to A Fire Upon the Deep than A Deepness in the Sky - in the latter, the existence of the fast/slow zones isn't known to the protagonists, for instance.

Both good books, though.

LoosingStreek
Dec 25, 2004
I have been trying to figure out the title/author of these two books since I read them in the mid 90's. I know they were written by the same guy (I got them from the library at the same time, read them back-to-back. Funny what you can remember sometimes.) but not much info other than these synopses.

The first book was the story of a scientist living in an alternate present-day timeline where Greek society (think ancient Helenes) was the driving force in the civilized world. The Greeks never fell from power, and their ideas on science, philosophy, and astrology are all proven science. The four elements that comprise ALL things are fire, earth, wind and water. They travel between planets on giant ships (because the heavens are made of celestial ocean) etc. Really interesting, and I would love to re-read it now that I'm older.

The second book was about a man who reached enlightenment and ascended from our physical world into a dimension beyond our own. In this enlightened state, his consciousness was an entity swimming through a stream of time. As he began to understand and control this new dimension, he realizes that every ripple he makes in the stream forever changes the historical/physical makeup of the world he ascended from. He becomes really powerful for a time and shapes the history of the world to his liking. Eventually more entities escape into the time stream and begin waging a war over our reality (with each battle they end up decimating the entire course of human history more and more). Entire sects of these time stream travelers end up losing their human identity. I remember the ending of this book was so epic I read the last chapter twice over.

Anyone have a guess?

LoosingStreek fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 10, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Your first is the utterly brilliant Celestial Matters by Richard Garfinkle.

The second kind of reminds me of The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter, but not quite - that one's a sequel to Wells' original The Time Machine, where the Time Traveller finds out his travelling's affecting history in pretty much the way you describe.

e: vvvv Sounds cool; must get hold of a copy myself and see if it's as good as CM. vvvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 10, 2008

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LoosingStreek posted:

The second book was about a man who reached enlightenment and ascended from our physical world into a dimension beyond our own. In this enlightened state, his consciousness was an entity swimming through a stream of time. As he began to understand and control this new dimension, he realizes that every ripple he makes in the stream forever changes the historical/physical makeup of the world he ascended from. He becomes really powerful for a time and shapes the history of the world to his liking. Eventually more entities escape into the time stream and begin waging a war over our reality (with each battle they end up decimating the entire course of human history more and more). Entire sects of these time stream travelers end up losing their human identity. I remember the ending of this book was so epic I read the last chapter twice over.

This is another Garfinkle, All of an Instant

LoosingStreek
Dec 25, 2004
Yes! You guys rock. Thank you so much- I'm hitting up the bookstore right away.

Elderling
Feb 17, 2007

RandomEffects posted:

Sounds like Levi-Strauss's Structural Anthropology

Chikoto
Jan 29, 2007

Only ashes and silence will remain

Morlock posted:

Probably A Deepness in the Sky, since I've never got more than a few pages into that. A Fire upon the Deep is set during that extinction event but focuses on 2 children who survive when the rest of their ship crew are killed and are taken in by 2 factions of an alien race where the "individuals" are sentient sort-of-dog packs, and I think that's memorable enough that the OP would have mentioned it.

It was "A Fire upon the Deep"! I remembered something like that but I remembered SO LITTLE of that I wasn't sure what to write that WOULDN'T add more confusion. Thanks to you and timeandtide.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Chikoto posted:

It was "A Fire upon the Deep"! I remembered something like that but I remembered SO LITTLE of that I wasn't sure what to write that WOULDN'T add more confusion. Thanks to you and timeandtide.
That'll teach me to make assumptions! Glad to help, anyway.

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

Elderling posted:

Sounds like Levi-Strauss's Structural Anthropology

This seems to be more on anthropology as a science, whereas the book i was looking for was more about the stories we all know and how the different cultures shared and interpreted them.

Then again i could have misheard the it and be looking for a book that does not exist.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

RandomEffects posted:

This seems to be more on anthropology as a science, whereas the book i was looking for was more about the stories we all know and how the different cultures shared and interpreted them.

Then again i could have misheard the it and be looking for a book that does not exist.

my guess of The Hero With a Thousand Faces wasn't it?

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Okay, in my high school library was a scifi-ish YA short story collection that I read several times out of boredom. The stories were by different people, and it might have had a "great stories of 19xx" title or something. The cover just had the title in a really bright color (yellow?) on a blue (?) background?

Anyway, I only really remember one of the first stories. It's about some teenage girl who lives in a culture where people have created artificial wings or something, for fun. But you can't weigh more than a certain amount to be able to fly, so once you get older you have to stop. And she's torn between starving herself and still being able to fly, or eating a hamburger and growing.

There might have also been a story about some people renting artificial ears (and maybe noses) because they couldn't hear or something?

I should just go back and visit the library; I bet it hasn't changed in eight years. The book's probably still on the same drat shelf.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Jezebel posted:

Okay, in my high school library was a scifi-ish YA short story collection that I read several times out of boredom. The stories were by different people, and it might have had a "great stories of 19xx" title or something. The cover just had the title in a really bright color (yellow?) on a blue (?) background?

Anyway, I only really remember one of the first stories. It's about some teenage girl who lives in a culture where people have created artificial wings or something, for fun. But you can't weigh more than a certain amount to be able to fly, so once you get older you have to stop. And she's torn between starving herself and still being able to fly, or eating a hamburger and growing.

There might have also been a story about some people renting artificial ears (and maybe noses) because they couldn't hear or something?

I should just go back and visit the library; I bet it hasn't changed in eight years. The book's probably still on the same drat shelf.
2041 a collection edited by Jane Yolen
http://www.amazon.com/2041-Stories-Science-Fiction-Writers/dp/0440218985
Don't know about the copy you're thinking of but this is the version I have and the flying story is called "If I had the Wings of an Angel" by Joe Haldeman, and the other is "Ear" by Jane Yolen

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I'm hoping this will be an easily identifiable book but I can't seem to remember where I read about it.

The basic plot of the story was that there was this very advanced civilization where all disease, death, and poverty was nonexistent. Because of this, everything was a game to them and they had no ramifications to any of their actions that couldn't be fixed. They toyed with less advanced groups for fun until one of them decided to fight back and did something. (The synopsis I read didn't go into what exactly they did, only that it was a "terrorist attack")

I remember reading about it on some Nebula or Hugo award nominee list, but after going over the lists again and again I can't seem to find it. It was published in 1999 or 2000. I believe it may be a series of books all based in the same universe.

Thanks

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

Elohssa Gib posted:

2041 a collection edited by Jane Yolen
http://www.amazon.com/2041-Stories-Science-Fiction-Writers/dp/0440218985
Don't know about the copy you're thinking of but this is the version I have and the flying story is called "If I had the Wings of an Angel" by Joe Haldeman, and the other is "Ear" by Jane Yolen

Hey! I've read this one! Cool, I'd forgotten all about it.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
There was this goofy kid's novel I had back in the '90s that revolved around a boy who somehow cloned himself, but the clone was retarded and completely disgusting (eating snot, farting, puking, etc.) The clone got him at trouble in school, more wacky hijinks ensued.
Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bazanga posted:

The basic plot of the story was that there was this very advanced civilization where all disease, death, and poverty was nonexistent. Because of this, everything was a game to them and they had no ramifications to any of their actions that couldn't be fixed. They toyed with less advanced groups for fun until one of them decided to fight back and did something. (The synopsis I read didn't go into what exactly they did, only that it was a "terrorist attack")
Most likely Iain (M) Banks' Look to Windward. I'd suggest reading some of the earlier books about the Culture first, though, I reckon they're best in order of writing. (Consider Phlebas was the first.)

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
This might be vague, but there was a big Russian novel mentioned once on BB. All I remember was that it was long, dealt with World War 2, came out sometime between 1950-1980, and was considered really, really depressing.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
There was a sci-fi story I read 10-15 years ago set in the future on Earth where the Earth had been completely encased by a barrier (I don't remember if the barrier was in space or in the atmosphere). There was a interesting explanation in the book that as we look at something we define its being, and in looking at outerspace we were destroying all the possibilities of existence beyond what we defined, so some alien race encased us in the barrier.

The main character was a black private detective type (he later became white through some drug to avoid being recognized). And he was on some case about a little girl who could walk through walls.

Any help identifing this would be great.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

jjack229 posted:

There was a sci-fi story I read 10-15 years ago set in the future on Earth where the Earth had been completely encased by a barrier (I don't remember if the barrier was in space or in the atmosphere). There was a interesting explanation in the book that as we look at something we define its being, and in looking at outerspace we were destroying all the possibilities of existence beyond what we defined, so some alien race encased us in the barrier.

The main character was a black private detective type (he later became white through some drug to avoid being recognized). And he was on some case about a little girl who could walk through walls.

Any help identifing this would be great.

Greg Egan's Quarantine.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Morlock posted:

Most likely Iain (M) Banks' Look to Windward. I'd suggest reading some of the earlier books about the Culture first, though, I reckon they're best in order of writing. (Consider Phlebas was the first.)

That's it. Thanks a ton! I'm ordering both of them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Hobnob posted:

Greg Egan's Quarantine.

Awesome, thanks. I've always thought of that book on and off, but no searches ever gave me much. Thanks again.