Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

greatn posted:

How did those two not get attacks of opportunity on her while she flew in? They said she couldn't do it for that very reason a few strips ago.

DM forgot in the excitement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laundreu
Feb 2, 2005
Arr
They already used up all their AoOs on Belkar. Whoops!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah, he provoked one for picking up the shield (which is why they both swing at him at once after he picks it up). Luckily, he had a shield so his AC carried him through it.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
You know, this particular comic, and the comments just above, are a very good way to demonstrate how combat in D&D is actually much more fluid and active than the rules imply.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Don't know where else to put this but on the off chance that anyone cares the last few pages of Goblins have been pretty loving freaky.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Affi posted:

Don't know where else to put this but on the off chance that anyone cares the last few pages of Goblins have been pretty loving freaky.

Are we meant to understand what's going on there, because I really don't.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Kojiro posted:

I realized long ago that the author of Goblins was trying to tell a high-energy, fast-paced story...

With the slowest update schedule on a regular comic that isn't actually dying that I've ever seen.

Maybe I'll wait to see if he ever actually finishes the story and then read it, but until then, I'm not gonna bother.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Kojiro posted:

blah blah, random magic, blah. Long battle blah.

I'm not sure why he thinks showing us all these guards just defending their city (so they think) getting killed in horrible ways is a good way to spend weeks upon weeks of updates.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Gally posted:

blah blah, random magic, blah. Long battle blah.

I'm not sure why he thinks showing us all these guards just defending their city (so they think) getting killed in horrible ways is a good way to spend weeks upon weeks of updates.

There's probably a few things he's trying to show.

* The goblins are pretty buff when they're trying to be
* The shield is an incredibly powerful, yet incredibly dangerous artifact
* A large chunk of "how does each goblin deal with stress/danger"

Seriously, if you think that the only purpose for these pages is to show guards getting killed, then . . . I'm not really sure what to say.

Also, I think comments of this type are absolutely hilarious less than a month after:

terminal mehmet posted:

It's almost as if the author spent the time carefully putting the pieces in places to make a better story instead of jamming the main plot down our throats. Good thing no one ever complains about that.

Sorry, to be a passive-aggressive douche; but, come on, how awesome was the strip today and how less awesome would it have been if he hadn't put it together so well?

How quickly we forget :unsmith:

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 8, 2008

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What is this goblin thing?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This thing.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Commissar posted:

What is this goblin thing?

Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ZorbaTHut posted:

There's probably a few things he's trying to show.

* The goblins are pretty buff when they're trying to be
* The shield is an incredibly powerful, yet incredibly dangerous artifact
* A large chunk of "how does each goblin deal with stress/danger"

Seriously, if you think that the only purpose for these pages is to show guards getting killed, then . . . I'm not really sure what to say.

Oh no, I get what he's TRYING to do. Its just failing, at least for me. I figured out the shield was very powerful a few pages ago, and yes the goblins can kick rear end. This now reads like he came up with a few AWESOME RANDOM ways for guards to bite it and we get to see them all.

Though if Big Ears smacks Complains upside the head and never wants to see him after this, it'll be a decent set up.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

Also, I think comments of this type are absolutely hilarious less than a month after:

How quickly we forget :unsmith:

Yeah, I don't mind that about most things; BUT, the goblins update schedule is ridiculously slow. I do enjoy how kinetic his art is, though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Gally posted:

Oh no, I get what he's TRYING to do. Its just failing, at least for me. I figured out the shield was very powerful a few pages ago, and yes the goblins can kick rear end. This now reads like he came up with a few AWESOME RANDOM ways for guards to bite it and we get to see them all.

This last one really seemed pretty unnecessarily gruesome, too. I get the point already!

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
What's funny about Goblins is that the Goblins in question are basically totally useless without the Super Magic Artifact That Kills Absolutely Everything. They could have been equally effective just by smacking the shield on a wall and then throwing it down into the middle of the bad guys.

Actually, you know what? "Goblins" is an example of what happens to a campaign after the DM gets bored and gives the players a major artifact on a whim, without thinking of how it would fit into the campaign or how he's going to deal with it. The campaign turns into "look how many dice I can roll in one attack!" and "let's keep playing until we've rolled every result on the table", and then it turns boring and everyone quits. "Goblins" finished the first and is halfway through the second.

(Actually, it's possible to extract some amusement from "Goblins" by reading the message board and watching people try to figure out what all those magic effects really are in D&D...)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Scopedog posted:

Actually, you know what? "Goblins" is an example of what happens to a campaign after the DM gets bored and gives the players a major artifact on a whim, without thinking of how it would fit into the campaign or how he's going to deal with it. The campaign turns into "look how many dice I can roll in one attack!" and "let's keep playing until we've rolled every result on the table", and then it turns boring and everyone quits. "Goblins" finished the first and is halfway through the second.

Maybe. Sometimes having crazy poo poo happen all around the character when they're small and weak is pretty fun, as long as you keep focus on the characters and let the effect the outcome in a meaningful way.

My favorite example of playing where that happened to me was a 7th Sea campaign where we had our big fight, which powered up an NPC who them went ballistic on an enemy fleet and the GM proceeded to tell us about it for 10 minutes as a way to end the campaign. If we hadn't succeeded, then we could have skipped story time. That's about it.

Something like OotS is much better in that it lampoons all this stupid poo poo that happens in games while still being fun, even if the plot is in 20 different threads right now... which also happens in games. We are SO getting trolled.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

I like the "Are you bringing the pickles?" line from Belkar in the latest strip.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
New strip.

Nice hair, Hales.

Click here for the full 727x933 image.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Anomalous posted:

New strip.

Nice hair, Hales.

Click here for the full 727x933 image.

*sigh* Nice strip.

No wait, this foreshadowing, so that the future events are more exciting! Some sort of hair related events.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
Awesome. I am such a sucker for weapons treasure.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

I like his single silver trophy.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Awesome. I am such a sucker for weapons treasure.

Seriously. I was trying to identify what the different weapons might actually be even though it's a stick figure cartoon.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

quote:

Huh. Well, I guess he's really not going to be needing what we're taking anymore.

Why, is it a hat?

Best line of the strip.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

terminal mehmet posted:

Seriously. I was trying to identify what the different weapons might actually be even though it's a stick figure cartoon.

Crossbows, Composite bows and normal bows?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Affi posted:

Crossbows, Composite bows and normal bows?

And the green ones obviously do acid damage, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Kind of interesting to look back over the last few comics; they're in Pete's den, which is where he had been talking the guarding thieves into letting him go and wait out the fight. He also told the cleric he had been coming back to save him. If they had let Pete into that room and access to his weapons, he probably could have torn a few of them up with his archery. I guess we'll never know whether he was planning a double-double-cross or was really going to let them all die.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

ZorbaTHut posted:

I like his single silver trophy.

That was one of the first things I oticed too and it got a pretty good chuckle out of me.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Kind of interesting to look back over the last few comics; they're in Pete's den, which is where he had been talking the guarding thieves into letting him go and wait out the fight. He also told the cleric he had been coming back to save him. If they had let Pete into that room and access to his weapons, he probably could have torn a few of them up with his archery. I guess we'll never know whether he was planning a double-double-cross or was really going to let them all die.
Interesting - I think that would have been something that the character might have possibly done. Still, it was a dick move to sell out all those people.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Nosy_G posted:

Interesting - I think that would have been something that the character might have possibly done. Still, it was a dick move to sell out all those people.

I'm having trouble verbalizing how inconceivably stupid that plan would have to be, between letting his friends he fully intends to save be ambushed, and then apparently aspiring to kill the entire thieves guild.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadysight posted:

I'm having trouble verbalizing how inconceivably stupid that plan would have to be, between letting his friends he fully intends to save be ambushed, and then apparently aspiring to kill the entire thieves guild.

Yeah. It's much more likely he was just wanting to get in there to ward off whoever won should they be against him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

shadysight posted:

If anything I would just guess that he had a flash of conscience about betraying the cleric (who apparently helped him a bit) and was thinking of bailing him out - I don't think he had any real interest in the party members. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like Pete made the best choices in life, so maybe he just had a terrible plan!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

shadysight posted:

I think his main goal was to get his eyes back, but it may be that he planned to help them after selling them out for his eyes.
Of course, if he planned to take on the Guild afterwards anyway, he probably could have gotten a spell from his cleric friend or something at some point...

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
:siren:New Comic!:siren:

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
You know, I never thought about how Icy Burst would taste. Fiery would be cinnamon of course. And I suppose acidic would taste like spinach.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Shocking burst tastes like SURGE.

Unholy tastes good.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Halloween Jack posted:

Shocking burst tastes like SURGE.

Mello Yello. :colbert:

What's an axiomatic weapon do? Spout cliches all over the place?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's lawful. +2d6 damage to chaotic creatures. As opposed to "anarchic."

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
"My last breath... is also my mintiest..."

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

It's lawful. +2d6 damage to chaotic creatures. As opposed to "anarchic."

Also, one negative level if wielded by chaotic characters.