Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

FidgetyRat posted:

Second, Apple's repair prices without apple care is a complete ripoff designed to get you go just suck it up and buy a new one.

Why replace your screen for $200 when you can buy a brand new ipod for $300!!! Oh Apple and your hosed up logic.

This is not hosed up logic, this is a smart way to get customers to do exactly what you said. The only thing you can really do about it is not break your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkeredshawn
Jul 16, 2007

Somehow I ended up with a screenshot of the weather application in my Photos. Does anyone know how this happened? I could delete it fine, but I'm curious how it got there in the first place.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Blakkout posted:

This is not hosed up logic, this is a smart way to get customers to do exactly what you said. The only thing you can really do about it is not break your poo poo.

Didn't mean to imply that their logic was hosed up in terms of business. I meant that their logic is hosed up in terms of their customers!

It is very good business.. It is very poor when someone is just out of apple care and has a logic board blow on a perfectly good (and probably good for several more years) laptop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

checkeredshawn posted:

Somehow I ended up with a screenshot of the weather application in my Photos. Does anyone know how this happened? I could delete it fine, but I'm curious how it got there in the first place.

You can take screenshots by holding the home button and pressing the sleep/wake button. Perhaps you inadvertently did that?

checkeredshawn
Jul 16, 2007

Rock Tumbler posted:

You can take screenshots by holding the home button and pressing the sleep/wake button. Perhaps you inadvertently did that?

Awesome, yes that certainly did it. Thanks.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kylekins posted:

I am an idiot and my Touch slipped out of my hand in the garage and cracked the screen. It is still usable, but is really annoying. I want to get it fixed, but a quick Google search says to expect a $200-250 fee and some even recommend just buying a new one. So, is this what I should expect? The closest "Genius" Bar is two hours away from here, so I would like to know what I'm getting into before I drive all that way.

I apologize if this has been discussed--I searched the past few pages and didn't see anything addressing this question.
I got quoted $149 for a repair. I talked to our Apple rep and he voluntarily submitted a field exception request for a replacement unit, which is way above and beyond what I expected (I was hoping for a coupon for discounted repair, at best.) I should know sometime this week if it happens. No way you'll get them to replace it with a cracked screen, even if there is a legit problem.

If anyone wants a decent silicone case, Burlington Coat Factory has packs of 2, one clear and one black, for $6.99. It starts off a bit loose, but tightens up over the course of a few days, especially if it's in a warm pocket. Combined with a skin for the screen, it seems pretty drat durable.

FidgetyRat posted:

But on a serious note, I don't know the price of replacing the glass. I immagine the $250 you are being quoted has to do with replacing the entire display unit including LCD and touch sensors. I wonder if they can't just replace the glass itself, unless it is all one solid unit. Either way, unless you get a disgruntled Genius, you're going to pay out of pocket.
They just give you a refurbished one and send yours off to become a refurb. The glass is literally the last thing you get to when disassembling the touch, all the other guts have to come out.

Rock Tumbler posted:

Sweet, I was wondering how I did that.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Quick question I've had a 1G Touch since about the time they came out. I'm probably going to be getting a iPhone 3G with Xmas money and going to give my Touch to the GF. All the apps I have purchased will they transfer just fine over to the 3G as they are tied to iTunes or is it going to be kinda difficult to do?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Welp, my brief love affair with the Ipod has ended. I'm really sad, because the interface is just incredible, and it makes discovering your music collection really fun. However, the sound quality is just not good. I just installed Rockbox on my old X5 and it's like the difference between listening to the radio and standing next to a live performance...I actually can't go back to the Touch now, it just sounds so flat and lifeless.

Why won't Apple stop loving up perfectly good sound chips with their terrible EQ software?

Still...it's good for podcasts and jogging.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

FidgetyRat posted:

GWBBQ posted:

Thanks for the answers, guys. I appreciate it.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

frozenpeas posted:

Welp, my brief love affair with the Ipod has ended. I'm really sad, because the interface is just incredible, and it makes discovering your music collection really fun. However, the sound quality is just not good. I just installed Rockbox on my old X5 and it's like the difference between listening to the radio and standing next to a live performance...I actually can't go back to the Touch now, it just sounds so flat and lifeless.

Why won't Apple stop loving up perfectly good sound chips with their terrible EQ software?

Still...it's good for podcasts and jogging.

I actually really like the sound on my 2G touch.

I do wish apple gave you full EQ control though. Their presets do leave something to be desired.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

Quick question I've had a 1G Touch since about the time they came out. I'm probably going to be getting a iPhone 3G with Xmas money and going to give my Touch to the GF. All the apps I have purchased will they transfer just fine over to the 3G as they are tied to iTunes or is it going to be kinda difficult to do?

I just went 1g iPod -> 3g iPhone. Since apps are tied to your iTunes account, there's no problem with putting them on your new iPhone. If your girlfriend uses her account on the iPod, however, no apps for her.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

FidgetyRat posted:

I actually really like the sound on my 2G touch.

I do wish apple gave you full EQ control though. Their presets do leave something to be desired.

I've been doing some direct comparisons and I so agree, the sound that the 2g puts out is nice. It's just very...well prescribed, I guess. Apple have decided that music MUST sound this way, and there's no way to change it.

The actual sound is certainly not unpleasant, it's just a little lifeless and there isn't much depth to the bass. It's certainly something you can get used to but when you put two players side by side it really becomes apparent that the 2g's sound is missing something.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 10, 2008

DJ_Flipped
Nov 1, 2003

Seven Minutes to Midnight...
Here's a quick question:

If an app is free and I install it, use it a couple times, then remove it, would it cost me $$ to install it again if the price has gone up?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

frozenpeas posted:

I've been doing some direct comparisons and I so agree, the sound that the 2g puts out is nice. It's just very...well proscribed, I guess. Apple have decided that music MUST sound this way, and there's no way to change it.

The actual sound is certainly not unpleasant, it's just a little lifeless and there isn't much depth to the bass. It's certainly something you can get used to but when you put two players side by side it really becomes apparent that the 2g's sound is missing something.

Only thing I hate about the sound on the touch is regarding docks. Seems every dock I plug into gets some kind of internal volume setting that changes. I'm always fighting headphones either being too loud, or too soft depending whether i'm docked, or mobile, or in my car.. Nothing is ever perfect.

Sound wise, I find the touch has nice highs and lows, but I could only describe the mids as lacking. Im always wanting to turn up the volume in my car, but if I do that, the treble is either too annoying, or the bass too hard on my speakers.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DJ_Flipped posted:

Here's a quick question:

If an app is free and I install it, use it a couple times, then remove it, would it cost me $$ to install it again if the price has gone up?

No.

No matter what the price is when you re-download it, a popup box will come up with a message to the effect of "You have already purchased this item. Press OK to download it again for free".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I need a favor from those of you with 2G Touches. I'm trying to determine conclusively whether the crackling I'm hearing is specific to my iPod and my iPod only, this warranting a replacement. If you all with 2G Touches could put this file on them, listen to it with headphones/earbuds, and tell me whether you hear crackling during the beginning part of the song, I'd greatly appreciate it..

(That is in fact an Animal Collective song, so if this is too :filez:y I will gladly remove it. I'm only after some diagnostics though, not filesharing.)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Does anyone know where iPod backups made with iTunes are kept in Windows?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rock Tumbler posted:

Does anyone know where iPod backups made with iTunes are kept in Windows?

In XP, I'm pretty sure it's ...

<drive>:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\<encrypted folder name>

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I bought a v1.2 ipod touch back in the springtime when it came out. I was pleased as punch with it, promptly hacked the thing and fell in love with the interface.

I've been using it here and there (I always use it as a music player since that's what I bought it for) and the novelty hasn't worn off yet.

However I read this today (It's pcworld so I don't know how much weight you guys put into it) and now I really do feel like I wasted a ton of money I didn't have to spend at the time.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155340/no_flash_iphone.html?tk=rss_news

They chalk it up to the processor in the thing. I should have bought a nano.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

I bought a v1.2 ipod touch back in the springtime when it came out. I was pleased as punch with it, promptly hacked the thing and fell in love with the interface.

I've been using it here and there (I always use it as a music player since that's what I bought it for) and the novelty hasn't worn off yet.

However I read this today (It's pcworld so I don't know how much weight you guys put into it) and now I really do feel like I wasted a ton of money I didn't have to spend at the time.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155340/no_flash_iphone.html?tk=rss_news

They chalk it up to the processor in the thing. I should have bought a nano.

You now hate your touch because we don't have flash and java?

I don't know.. Mine still does exactly what I want it to do, and WAY better then my old PDA which was more of a pain in the rear end then it was worth.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Since my reasons for buying my ipod are my own, yes, yes I do hate my ipod now. I did say that I wish I bought a nano instead, didn't I?

What difference does this make to you? I guess this is SA and the internet so you feel like you have to convince me that I'm wrong about how I feel.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Zigmidge posted:

Since my reasons for buying my ipod are my own, yes, yes I do hate my ipod now. I did say that I wish I bought a nano instead, didn't I?

What difference does this make to you? I guess this is SA and the internet so you feel like you have to convince me that I'm wrong about how I feel.

So you are saying that you bought the Touch 6 months ago hoping that eventually it would be able to do Flash and Java? You still really liked it even though it couldn't do them, and now that you found out that it will probably never be able to do them you don't like it anymore?

That sounds odd.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Look, part of the reason why I bought it was because of the huge userbase that an apple device would have. A large userbase and a hackable device mean one thing: lots and lots and lots of custom apps. Since apple killed that idea with its management of the appstore I've had to fall back on only using cydia and installer. Those two, while neat, don't offer all that much beyond the os specific programming that a few guys bothered to learn.

Now, back when I bought it nobody knew and could say that there wouldn't be Java or Flash and them being Java and Flash, myself (and probably half the world) figured that those appearing would be a given. It's loving Java and Flash!

*edit* listen, I still enjoy my ipod for what it can do. I use it everyday. I didn't buy it for what it can do, I bought it for what other people might have been able to do with it because to me that is much more worth my investment. Look at how amazing and versatile the PSP has become now that it has a huge userbase.

Like I said, I should have bought a nano and what I think makes no difference to you. I posted that news item so that others may comment on it.

*edit 2* Sorry, I must be in a knot this morning. I don't mean for all this to sound so angry. I'm just a little upset that apple tossed my reasons out the window, is all. I bought a device based on a future that was neither confirmed nor denied. I rolled the dice and lost!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 11, 2008

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Whoa, someone's testy. Re-read my post and you won't see a single attack on there. Jeez.

Furthermore, if you don't want people posting opinions on your actions, don't post them on a public forum, especially SA. You should know this by now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

They approved my repair request and are replacing my iPod and paying for shipping and handling plus shipping insurance. I'm amazed at how lucky I am that our Apple guy was here the day I had a physical defect that I can't prove wasn't my fault. I'm lucky all I'm losing is the $10 on the skin, which I'll replace when I get a new phone and need a skin for it.

Rock Tumbler posted:

I need a favor from those of you with 2G Touches. I'm trying to determine conclusively whether the crackling I'm hearing is specific to my iPod and my iPod only, this warranting a replacement. If you all with 2G Touches could put this file on them, listen to it with headphones/earbuds, and tell me whether you hear crackling during the beginning part of the song, I'd greatly appreciate it..

(That is in fact an Animal Collective song, so if this is too :filez:y I will gladly remove it. I'm only after some diagnostics though, not filesharing.)
I'll try it tonight and hopefully remember to report back tomorrow.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

Zigmidge posted:

They chalk it up to the processor in the thing.

I doubt that it's the processor, considering the fact that I'm running Beat Maker. I just upgraded to the new version and I'm shocked as to how much it does. My Touch has now replaced my Akai MPC-2000, which is about 20 times larger and about 10-20 times more expensive than an iPod.

I know these are two completely different technologies, but I think that there's way more to the story than processing power.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
So I finally get a chance to setup my new Touch... and discover my hard drive crapped out.

Worst week ever.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Blakkout posted:

So I finally get a chance to setup my new Touch... and discover my hard drive crapped out.

Worst week ever.

Sucks man. Good luck!

BTW if you hit the iPhone apps thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2944223&pagenumber=33#lastpost some of the goon developers occasionally give out free promo codes for their games..

Something to try out the new touch once you get the computer functioning again.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rock Tumbler posted:

I'm listening to this now on my 2G with latest firmware and the professional headphones we use for our camera at work. No crackling at all during the entire song. Nothing wrong when I tried it with earbuds, either.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm listening to this now on my 2G with latest firmware and the professional headphones we use for our camera at work. No crackling at all during the entire song. Nothing wrong when I tried it with earbuds, either.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The guy at the Genius Bar claimed that it was normal, but if it is normal then the iPod is officially the shittiest PMP ever, which is probably not the case. I did some testing and research and determined that it's a faulty op-amp, so I'm sending it back to Apple.

It would be nice if there was a repair request category for audio, playback, or anything else that might be related to the iPod's primary function. I chose "connectivity" because nothing else made sense, but it turns out that "connectivity" actually refers to Wi-Fi. Of course, I only discovered this after submitting the repair request, but hopefully whoever gets it is semi-literate and can read the description I typed in.

Isko
May 20, 2008
I've been debating recently what kind of iPod I wanted to get. At first I wanted to get an iPod classic, but now I am thinking about getting the iPod touch (8 gb) but I am a little worried about only having 8 gb (although I am thinking about the 16gb one, but it might be unnecessary) and the possibility of breaking it. The iPod classic is pretty much what I wanted but I doubt I would use up all of the hardrive and it's price is actually higher than the 8gb iPod touch and I wouldn't mind all the extra's the touch has.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Isko posted:

The iPod classic is pretty much what I wanted but I doubt I would use up all of the hardrive and it's price is actually higher than the 8gb iPod touch and I wouldn't mind all the extra's the touch has.

I would go with the 16G touch. I had a similar debate since I had more then 16G of music. I really wanted the 32 but the $100 extra price wasn't worth the extra space on the current flash market.

Anyway, I found that I listen to very little of what I had, so I just keep an updated playlist for my touch and sync the ipod to that playlist. I then cycle in and out music im either in the mood for or not in the mood for.

I also use a smart playlist to find those songs I skip the most which helps me determine which albums I might want to take off for a while..

Another reason to consider a touch vs. a classic is the apps. Tons of extra cool poo poo to do with a touch vs. a classic. Plus, (and this may be subjective) I've noticed that the classics are having way more HDD issues then they used to back in the day. I've seen huge repair lines at the apple store and most of the time its classics with bad HDDs.

I was able to keep my 3G functioning for YEARS longer then I thought I would, but I also understand how a HDD works and how fragile they are.. 16 year old sally Joe wouldn't think twice about tossing hers into her backpack.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

So I got a new ipod touch for my birthday yesterday. Questions

Now that it has been out for awhile, is jailbreaking it worth it?

When looking for apps on the store, is there a way to filter out what works for the ipod touch and not just the iphone?

Is there anyway to sample apps before buying? I don't want o just waste money on a game that looks cool and have it totally suck. (This happens on my non-iphone alot)

I'm sure I'll have others, but thats it for now.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 13, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Go with the Touch, it just comes with more poo poo

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Alfalfa posted:

So I got a new ipod touch for my birthday yesterday. Questions

Now that it has been out for awhile, is jailbreaking it worth it?

When looking for apps on the store, is there a way to filter out what works for the ipod touch and not just the iphone?

Is there anyway to sample apps before buying? I don't want o just waste money on a game that looks cool and have it totally suck. (This happens on my non-iphone alot)

I'm sure I'll have others, but thats it for now.

Which touch do you have? I don't think the 2nd gen can be jailbroken yet.
There are free apps in th store. Just search for "free" and you'll find tons of stuff. Sometimes, there are free versions of the paid games for a limitd amount of time so keep an eye out. As for what works with the iphone or touch, its common sense. Some apps need the internet (eureka, bigoven, translator), or the mic (fringe to make calls) but most of them will work fine on the touch too, just you can't use them to the fullest extent. Like you can use fringe to chat but not to skype.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You can't jailbreak the 2nd gen Touch yet.

appshopper.com or something is a great site, you can filter new additions by free or paid and they update A LOT. You can see all the new poo poo and decide which ones you wanna get.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Also, don't worry about touch/iphone compatability. Any program that works on an iphone will work on the touch. The only exception is programs that rely on location and GPS (or microphone since the touch doesn't have either).

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Already have a problem. I haven't done anything to it except add apps, but now anytime I click on an app it loads but then kicks me back to the home screen. I have turned it off, reset it (holding down power and home button), and it still didn't fix it. Anyone have problems with this or know how to fix it?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Alfalfa posted:

Already have a problem. I haven't done anything to it except add apps, but now anytime I click on an app it loads but then kicks me back to the home screen. I have turned it off, reset it (holding down power and home button), and it still didn't fix it. Anyone have problems with this or know how to fix it?

That is a DRM issue.

I think the solution is to re-authorize your computer, then re-install the app on the iPod. Other then that, I know there are solutions to this on google, just don't know what to search for myself. Its been a known problem for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

You know when you click on your touch in iTunes and it shows a little bar displaying how the touch's memory is allocated? What would the orange 'other' be made up of? Cover art and the touch's interface?

Contingency Plan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 14, 2008

• Locked thread