Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Uthor posted:

I haven't read X-Men since the first oversized hardcover of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Why is Emma there?

I'm pretty sure there we haven't yet been given a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Norman invited her. Makes since... she's not an evil character anymore, but she's a perfect replacement for Xavier in the Evil Illuminate or Illuminaughty or whatever stupid name Joey Q is calling them.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Sorry, further derail: what arc was it when Loki and Thor were reborn? Was it any good?

Lamestream Media
Dec 2, 2007

by angerbotSD

atastypie posted:

Sorry, further derail: what arc was it when Loki and Thor were reborn? Was it any good?

The first arc of the current Thor series, and it's pretty good.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Kramer posted:

I'm pretty sure there we haven't yet been given a reason.

If I recall correctly, Norman says he invited her because she leads the mutants who need all the help they can get, and she'd be more likely to make a deal than scott (He didnt say the last part but its true), she USED to be a villian, and a telepath keeps everybody honest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

moleman posted:

Norman invited her. Makes since... she's not an evil character anymore, but she's a perfect replacement for Xavier in the Evil Illuminate or Illuminaughty or whatever stupid name Joey Q is calling them.

Bendis said that Magneto was originally supposed to be the mutant member, but since he's dead or depowered or both or something, he's not available for use. He then decided to use Emma. Personally, I would have gone with Sebastian Shaw, but Emma's probably more interesting and a better counterpart for Xavier.

I think Illuminaughty was a joke by Matt Fraction.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Bendis said that Magneto was originally supposed to be the mutant member, but since he's dead or depowered or both or something, he's not available for use. He then decided to use Emma. Personally, I would have gone with Sebastian Shaw, but Emma's probably more interesting and a better counterpart for Xavier.

I think Illuminaughty was a joke by Matt Fraction.

At least in so far as the last couple issues of X-men though, Sebastian Shaw doesn't have any great connections within the mutant community. Frost makes sense because she's an ex-super villain, and she's square at the epicenter of what is essentially a mutant homing beacon.

Besides, Norman would want the mutant community on his side, since they refused to get involved when Stark was in charge, it would look good for him to win them over, even if he has to be a little underhanded to do it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Endless Mike posted:

Personally, I would have gone with Sebastian Shaw, but Emma's probably more interesting and a better counterpart for Xavier.

Shaw is in the process of getting butt-raped by Wolverine & Son as he's apparently the Big Kahuna of Evil now.

Zodberg
May 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl

atastypie posted:

Yes, last issue, I believe. Loki was reborn as a female because although he was raised by Asgaurdians, he is actually the child of... frost giants I think? Not Odin anyway.
Because the Norse pantheon has, apparently escaped the cycle of Ragnarok, Thor's letting him live with the others to form his own destiny. Even those She's clearly evil because I mean seriously just look at her.
I took a couple issues to heat up, but I love the current Thor book, even if it comes out kinda slowly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm so sorry I've neglected this thread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nice one.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Gavok posted:

What's the context for this?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Sick_Boy posted:

House of M. Scarlet Witch went insane, thinks her children that Mephisto created for her are real, and Xavier's trying to help her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sick_Boy posted:

For the full context, check the last page or so of the Funny Panels Thread.

star sheep
Mar 4, 2006

there was nothing i could do
I never noticed it before, but Dr. Strange's expression in the fourth panel is amazing.

"Haunted!? OH NOOOOOO!"

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Gavok posted:

This is pretty goddamn funny.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

star sheep posted:

I never noticed it before, but Dr. Strange's expression in the fourth panel is amazing.

"Haunted!? OH NOOOOOO!"

That's Xavier, if I'm not mistaken.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
He probably means the fifth panel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I loved this page too much not to mess with it.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
That's great. I knew that page would show up here soon. It's just too perfect for this kind of thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Major spoilers if you haven't read Final Crisis #7.

Sir! A message from the past!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Click here for the full 722x1130 image.

Click here for the full 613x1076 image.

"You did it Tek-Knight. You saved the world."

JohnThermos
Dec 8, 2005

I CAN HAS USB NOW?

Gavok posted:

Major spoilers if you haven't read Final Crisis #7.

Sir! A message from the past!

You sir, continue to be the king of this thread.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Mister Glockwork posted:

This. This is art. I approve.:golfclap:

Fellsway
Apr 21, 2005

Are you my mummy?
Did I do this right, or did I just make it better? :smith:

From X-Factor #39

Click here for the full 684x1094 image.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Fellsway posted:

Did I do this right, or did I just make it better? :smith:

From X-Factor #39

Click here for the full 684x1094 image.

You son of a bitch. You made me go and remember the original.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nonononononoooooo :smith:

digibomb
Apr 16, 2003

I hate to recommend violence, alcohol, drugs or insanity to anyone... but they have always worked for me.
What was the original of that?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

digibomb posted:

What was the original of that?

Big ol' spoiler for X-Factor 39, as it goes through a few different pages, but - the baby ends up being a sort of dupe, so when Jaime holds him, he absorbs him. Not surprisingly, everyone freaks out and it's a terribly depressing moment for all.

sandwichman
Feb 22, 2006

does it worry ya
to be alone

Residue posted:

Big ol' spoiler for X-Factor 39, as it goes through a few different pages, but - the baby ends up being a sort of dupe, so when Jaime holds him, he absorbs him. Not surprisingly, everyone freaks out and it's a terribly depressing moment for all.
Not reading that spoiler, but which issue should I start reading from if I want to get caught up on X-Factor? I read the Messiah Complex issues (I read all of Messiah Complex and enjoyed it, then I didn't pick up any x-books after it finished. I'm an idiot), should I just start off from the post-MC issues? Or is there a more recent jumping-on point for dudes like me who want to be sad about a comic book? Seriously, the "sad" hype from this latest issue is overwhelming.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Mister Glockwork posted:

Can you put the second one back up? It's disappeared.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sandwichman posted:

Not reading that spoiler, but which issue should I start reading from if I want to get caught up on X-Factor? I read the Messiah Complex issues (I read all of Messiah Complex and enjoyed it, then I didn't pick up any x-books after it finished. I'm an idiot), should I just start off from the post-MC issues? Or is there a more recent jumping-on point for dudes like me who want to be sad about a comic book? Seriously, the "sad" hype from this latest issue is overwhelming.

Well, if you've read the Messiah Complex issues with Jaime and Layla in the future, then you've pretty much set the stage.

I would recommend reading from X-Factor 28 - 32. After those, it goes to some weird arch thats entirely forgettable. You can then pretty much skip right to #39 without losing anything.

Zodberg
May 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl
the Madrox miniseries (now available as X-Fator vol. 1) was good fun, but beyond setting up Jamie and co. in New York, the actual adventure has no huge impact.
Then House Of M sets up DeciMation and introduces Layla Miller, but is forgotten about most of the marvel universe.
The first 12 issues are... I think they're awesome. And beyond a bit of a sidetrack into Civil War, they're one big story with a few HUGE plot threads left up in the air and are the elephant in the room nobody has spoken about since. The next four issues are pretty sound. Then four issues of kind of dull stuff, and so are the next four. Then Messiah CompleX has the team mostly do nothing but let two of the best characters shuffle out of regularly appearing. But the NEXT arc, 28-32 and turned back into exactly why I read this comic.
33-35 were a Secret Invasion crossover with She-Hulk which had horrible artwork for the title and just introduced Darwin. Since then the book is back on track, but with a bit of haven't-we-seen-this-before with the group going up a bit evil company.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zodberg posted:

the Madrox miniseries (now available as X-Fator vol. 1)

Are you referrin to the Marvel Knights Madrox mini? If so it isn't collected as X-factor vol. 1, it's a trade of its own. It is a great story though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Residue posted:

Oh my god, that is hilariously awful.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Why? Have you read anything leading up to that?

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

Bieeardo posted:

It was disgusting, disturbing, horrifying, and one of the best moments in the entire series. Read it in context, it's pretty awesome.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why? Have you read anything leading up to that?

Because most of the enjoyment I get out of the Marvel Universe is schadenfreude, honestly.

Zodberg
May 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are you referrin to the Marvel Knights Madrox mini? If so it isn't collected as X-factor vol. 1, it's a trade of its own. It is a great story though.

huh, my hardcover has "X-Factor: Madrox" on the side. I couldn't find the paperback anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Zodberg posted:

huh, my hardcover has "X-Factor: Madrox" on the side. I couldn't find the paperback anywhere.

It got rereleased under the current X Factor logo. The hardcover is that rerelease. The TPB is an MK branding.

• Locked thread