Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I picked up Abyss a couple days ago and I just got to going to the zao ruins a second time. I gotta say that I love the FS Chamber business (I stuck a Grass Chamber into Steel as soon as I got one and have never taken it off) and I wish that a couple more of Luke's Artes made it into Yuri's repertoire. Overall, I'm really enjoying it.

However going from Vesperia's Overlimits to Abyss's Overlimits was a little confusing. :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

I picked up Abyss a couple days ago and I just got to going to the zao ruins a second time. I gotta say that I love the FS Chamber business (I stuck a Grass Chamber into Steel as soon as I got one and have never taken it off) and I wish that a couple more of Luke's Artes made it into Yuri's repertoire. Overall, I'm really enjoying it.

However going from Vesperia's Overlimits to Abyss's Overlimits was a little confusing. :byodood:

Yeah Yuri is some odd combination between the standard speedy Lloyd/Guy build and the slower-yet-stronger Kratos/Luke build. I gotta say, though, I appreciated the entirely new skillset for Yuri. There's only so many times I can hear DEMON FANG, DEMON FANG, DEMON FANG over and over.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

there is no over limit or anything like it in ToSII, what the gently caress.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Cliff posted:

For the most part, RPGs don't make up a whole lot of original names/terms for things. Mythology is generally at least some part of their storylines (see names of Final Fantasy summons).
I know this gets RPGs a lot of poo poo, but honestly I think this is preferable to just making names up. It would always bug me when people would slam Xenogears in particular, since I just saw that game as using a special nomenclature just to have all the names come from somewhere.

I just kind of wish they wouldn't re-use names like Yggdrasil or Ragnarok (Kangaroo :v: ) so much. Brewer's Dictionary is a pretty big book; there have to be plenty of other names out there.

EDIT: Even literary references couldn't hurt. I've never seen the names Quintanona, Hardquanonne, or Fauchelevent used in an RPG, and why not?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 11, 2008

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

there is no over limit or anything like it in ToSII, what the gently caress.
Sure there are. Some enemies/bosses get to use them later but not you. :)

CloseFriend posted:

EDIT: Even literary references couldn't hurt. I've never seen the names Quintanona, Hardquanonne, or Fauchelevent used in an RPG, and why not?
I would argue that those are hard to read/say, but then again if they're already using Yggdrasil and now Ginuungagaap that idea probably doesn't hold much water. :sigh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lakitu7 posted:

if you're referring to Mystic Artes, you can use them if you equip the skill Special. Emil's is pretty badass.

Richter's kept kicking the poo poo out of me, when you had to fight him immediately after fighting Decus I almost died horribly.

EDIT: are you talking about enemies that can make themselves immune to flinching? Because some of the vanguard jerks have that, and it's really loving annoying.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 11, 2008

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

You can also synthesize and armor called the "Painkiller" that gives you the skill "Glory", making you immune to flinching. It also lowers defense or something.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

EDIT: are you talking about enemies that can make themselves immune to flinching? Because some of the vanguard jerks have that, and it's really loving annoying.

This, yeah. Some boss groups get them later and it can be rather nasty when you can't interrupt their spells (I think U attacks always work but they'll still get one off before you can charge another of those). Also they have the black-and-flickery effect faintly that marked Overlimit in the first game.

Cliff posted:

You can also synthesize and armor called the "Painkiller" that gives you the skill "Glory", making you immune to flinching. It also lowers defense or something.

Oh yeah? I didn't catch that. If you combine that with the weapon(s) that let you easily infinite-combo I guess you'd break the game doubly fast.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought Glory was nerfed this game? You can still get interrupted if you get critical'ed. If you're hit with a non-critical your attack animation still goes through.

So when a boss decides to go Overlimit just stack Speed Cast on Marta and spam Prism Sword every other second?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Honestly, I haven't used Glory at all. I saw that it was on the armor, but then that there was those stat-lowering skills as well, so I let it go.

It's not like the game isn't easy enough anyway.

Also, there is a big problem with 10x experience: During a normal playthrough, bonus experience is equal to (2% of base experience) x (max chain), so you need a minimum 50-hit combo to double the experience game, not hard on most bosses.

With 10x experience on mania difficulty, my bonus experience is (16% base experience) x (max chain), meaning I need between 6 and 7 hits to double experience. I can usually get around a 30-hit combo each battle, which is obscene.

I just started chapter 6, and I've maxed out my characters. Battles get me nothing, combat isn't fun anymore, and I know the storyline. Bleah.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Cliff posted:

Honestly, I haven't used Glory at all. I saw that it was on the armor, but then that there was those stat-lowering skills as well, so I let it go.

It's not like the game isn't easy enough anyway.

Also, there is a big problem with 10x experience: During a normal playthrough, bonus experience is equal to (2% of base experience) x (max chain), so you need a minimum 50-hit combo to double the experience game, not hard on most bosses.

With 10x experience on mania difficulty, my bonus experience is (16% base experience) x (max chain), meaning I need between 6 and 7 hits to double experience. I can usually get around a 30-hit combo each battle, which is obscene.

I just started chapter 6, and I've maxed out my characters. Battles get me nothing, combat isn't fun anymore, and I know the storyline. Bleah.

What's the level cap? It's 200 in Vesperia and even with 10x I was barely 100 when I did the EX Dungeon.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Finished it this week finally. If you hold out to the end it does wrap up nicely and I'm pretty happy with it all.

Oh, and (post-final boss)the bad ending for killing Lloyd/Marta is hilarious.

I only used two or three monsters really, my Simurgh was a beast, with all the heal spells and the TP-restoring synch ability I could just spam whatever skills I wanted while she juggled everything. Also have a Crusader who wants to evolve to Sword Dancer but I never found the last item for the statue. My Padfoot and Harpy had the same trouble.

As fun as Emil's Mystic is, I found myself using 1 Symphonia character (Zellos, Presea, and finally Lloyd) just for their mystic. Presea's hit like a truck on bosses and Zel could clear a pack of regular enemies in one shot.

Still, I really missed Kratos. Why'd you go to space Kratos? :(

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

What's the level cap? It's 200 in Vesperia and even with 10x I was barely 100 when I did the EX Dungeon.

The level cap for Emil/Marta is 200. Monsters vary, but the final forms usually max at 200 as well. Does anyone know if Emil/Marta learn skills post-100? I know Emil learns Ability Plus 2 at 100, and Marta learns something at 99, but that's about it.

As for the experience thing, yeah, this Tales game does bonus experience in a weird way. It factors difficulty now, meaning if you set the game to Hard on your first playthrough it starts off a bit tough but after an hour or two your guys will be quite powerful. Factor in Mania/Unknown and EXP 10x and you now have a very boring game.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

They don't learn anything after level 100, they don't even get titles for reaching level landmarks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I have one question about the ending of Tales of Phantasia. Obviously massive spoilers.

Is it correct that Martel's fate is different in each version? Puts herself in the seed in the Super Famicom version, doesn't put herself in the seed in the PS2 version, doesn't put herself in the seed and gets a barrier to keep the process private or something in the GBA version?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I have one question about the ending of Tales of Phantasia. Obviously massive spoilers.

Is it correct that Martel's fate is different in each version? Puts herself in the seed in the Super Famicom version, doesn't put herself in the seed in the PS2 version, doesn't put herself in the seed and gets a barrier to keep the process private or something in the GBA version?

Yeah, there are. You can look at the wikipedia article for more details.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Eddain posted:

Yeah, there are. You can look at the wikipedia article for more details.

That's where I got the info. I was just wondering because the Tales Wiki said something slightly different, and I was wondering which was correct.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tales of Phantasia confused the hell out of me, but then I played the fan translated rom. Was it released in the US outside the gba one? (which I hear is horrible)

Also, in Tales of Symphonia II, I just got to chapter 8, and I have to ask, do I ever hatch Lumen's core? I ask because I really want a light elemental attack, and I'm not sure if I should wait to hammer out all these quests. I assume Aqua is out of the question.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

^Yes, you get Lumen and Aqua, too

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cliff posted:

^Yes, you get Lumen and Aqua, too

I guess I'll put off finishing the rest of the quests until after I get them, then. I can still finish the quests after I get them, right?

I've been beating the S Rank quests with characters under level 80 on hard mode. Am I good or just persistent?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess I'll put off finishing the rest of the quests until after I get them, then. I can still finish the quests after I get them, right?

I've been beating the S Rank quests with characters under level 80 on hard mode. Am I good or just persistent?

The Lumen skill isn't anything special at all. Hell, almost all of the elemental skills suck except for Ignis and Tenebrae. The rest typically suffer from that "why the gently caress is Emil standing so far away when he attacks" problem. Fire Havoc Strike hits in an area and typically places you behind the enemy you targeted, letting you connect with an arcane arte that dashes you at the enemy or giving you a decent escape mechanism from crowds. Dark Demon Fang lets you change the elemental field to Dark, and if Marta keeps spamming her Light spells you might do their unique Unison Attack. Actually, scratch that, you don't want to do Emil/Marta's Unison Attack. You just want a Dark field with a Dark monster to abuse the level 3 Dark Unison Attack. It's absolute destruction to everything.

Also, have you been finishing quests every chapter they're offered or have you been letting them pile up between chapters? There are certain "Twilight" quests offered, it's typically one per chapter starting about halfway through the game. If you miss the Twilight quest in a chapter you can't complete the entire sidequest, which opens up a secret endgame dungeon.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, I've just recently finished my first playthrough of Abyss and I must say that this game and the PS2 that I bought to play it have been the best purchase that I have ever made. This game has a great story, great characters, and great combat system. Though the latter became slightly annoying when I started to build FSC levels (to facilitate stealing and self-healing) too late into the game and had to grind and spam those moves as best as I could. At least I know better now when I go though my second playthrough.

Now, to do a little Grade farming and finishing up some sidequests (particularly the catalyst weapons) before I start my second playthrough. Though I'll have to fight the final boss again, don't I? Well, after finishing the catalyst event, I should be even more overleveled.

Also, I had asked earlier about activating Luke's and Guy's extra artes event which I had missed it when returning to Baticul and was subsequently locked out after leaving. It turns out that both events still activate when I could get back in.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Tales of Hearts got a review in Famitsu, but I only know the score, 9/8/8/8. Not like it means much anyway, I doubt the reviews would even mention whether it was better than previous DS Tales games due to being made by Tales regulars, which is all I want to know. I have played all the previous portable Tales games but haven't liked any of them enough to finish them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 13, 2008

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In theory yes, but Aqua isn't obtained until directly outside the final boss's room.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

For TOS2 Phoenix Rush (the wind one) was my staple spammer throughout the game. Hits hard, decent knockback, also level 3 wind with my Simurgh destroyed everything. Honestly you just need to pair up your element spam with whatever element your best monster is. And don't main a water/light monster your first playthrough.

I was dissapointed with Emil's Heavenly Tempest, it has too much horizontal travel. I miss Lloyd/Guy's Tempest... Vesperia didn't even have a Tempest equivalent at all which was one of the only things I missed in that game.

I don't care if it defies all the laws of physics it's awesome. :3:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Holy poo poo I just figured out how Capacity Cores and AD Skills are connected and now I feel like a loving retard. :psyduck:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

mistaya posted:

For TOS2 Phoenix Rush (the wind one) was my staple spammer throughout the game. Hits hard, decent knockback, also level 3 wind with my Simurgh destroyed everything. Honestly you just need to pair up your element spam with whatever element your best monster is. And don't main a water/light monster your first playthrough.

I was dissapointed with Emil's Heavenly Tempest, it has too much horizontal travel. I miss Lloyd/Guy's Tempest... Vesperia didn't even have a Tempest equivalent at all which was one of the only things I missed in that game.

I don't care if it defies all the laws of physics it's awesome. :3:

What? Repede's Shining Fang you get from those traveling innkeepers is practically Tempest. Hell, it even pulls people upward if you connect it right.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
If anyone's interested, here are some Japanese sales figures for this gen's Tales games, from Neogaf:

PSP Tales of Eternia + best - 249k
PSP Tales of the World: Radiant Mithology - 214k
NDS Tales of Tempest - 205k
NDS Tales of Innocence - 197k
WII Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 195k
360 Tales of Vesperia - 140k
PSP Tales of Destiny 2 - 115k
PSP Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition - 111k
PSP Tales of Rebirth - 75k

Notice the steady decline in sales from Eternia. Even Japan is getting sick of Tales games! :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Uh, why isn't either version of the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake on that list? I bet they sold more than all of those combined.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Uh, why isn't either version of the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake on that list? I bet they sold more than all of those combined.

I guess they consider PS2 last gen. But did it really do that well? Was ToD that loved over there? I always thought the Phantasia line (and those with the same artist) were the favorites.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, all I know is that ToD did well enough to warrant an updated version with lots of new content. And I think it has the best game mechanics in Tales so far. I haven't played Vesperia though.

But the main reason I suspect its sales numbers blow all those others away is that it's on the PS2, which I think there are more of in Japan than there are people and toy poodles combined.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, all I know is that ToD did well enough to warrant an updated version with lots of new content. And I think it has the best game mechanics in Tales so far. I haven't played Vesperia though.

But the main reason I suspect its sales numbers blow all those others away is that it's on the PS2, which I think there are more of in Japan than there are people and toy poodles combined.

Wait didn't Japan also get a PS2 version of the original GC Tales of Symphonia? It had worse load times but Mystic Artes, no?

Tales sales are probably low because 1) they're mostly remakes of Tales games (I'm looking at you, PSP) and 2) portable Tales games probably don't feel right at all.

Tales of Vesperia, arguably the best of the newer Tales games, was on the 360, which isn't even that popular in Japan. And everyone who played ToSII knows how bad that was. It looks like Namco is going the Square-Enix route of pushing out remakes and side-games while working on their main titles.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

The Lumen skill isn't anything special at all. Hell, almost all of the elemental skills suck except for Ignis and Tenebrae. The rest typically suffer from that "why the gently caress is Emil standing so far away when he attacks" problem. Fire Havoc Strike hits in an area and typically places you behind the enemy you targeted, letting you connect with an arcane arte that dashes you at the enemy or giving you a decent escape mechanism from crowds. Dark Demon Fang lets you change the elemental field to Dark, and if Marta keeps spamming her Light spells you might do their unique Unison Attack. Actually, scratch that, you don't want to do Emil/Marta's Unison Attack. You just want a Dark field with a Dark monster to abuse the level 3 Dark Unison Attack. It's absolute destruction to everything.

Also, have you been finishing quests every chapter they're offered or have you been letting them pile up between chapters? There are certain "Twilight" quests offered, it's typically one per chapter starting about halfway through the game. If you miss the Twilight quest in a chapter you can't complete the entire sidequest, which opens up a secret endgame dungeon.

I've done all the side quests, the only one that's been continuous between chapters involves finding a treasure left by a legendary treasure hunter. I've found three letters so far, L A E. I assume this is the twilight one, because i've done literally every quest and none of them had anything to do with twilight.

Also the wind elemental move, phoenix rush, is absolutely devastating, especially in the air. It's true that sometimes Emil is too far away, but when it actually hits it's really strong.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've done all the side quests, the only one that's been continuous between chapters involves finding a treasure left by a legendary treasure hunter. I've found three letters so far, L A E. I assume this is the twilight one, because i've done literally every quest and none of them had anything to do with twilight.

Also the wind elemental move, phoenix rush, is absolutely devastating, especially in the air. It's true that sometimes Emil is too far away, but when it actually hits it's really strong.

Did a new area on your map open up called "Twilight Palace"? If not, it appears you might have missed a quest in a chapter somewhere. The secret dungeon has a few new weapons and a boss.

And yeah, Wind Phoenix Rush is pretty good as well. I didn't like air combat though towards the end of the game. Early on it's a good idea to protect yourself by taking an enemy into the air but later on I'd rather charge straight in with Glory and my casters backing me up from afar. I also liked the Earth skill, the self-buff arte. I just always forgot to use it during a fight.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eddain posted:

It looks like Namco is going the Square-Enix route of pushing out remakes and side-games while working on their main titles.
Oh, they've been doing that for a long time, there are like four versions of Tales of Phantasia, and at least three Tales of the World games on the GBA, and then Tales of Fandom things, which must cost next to nothing to produce since they are just still graphics, voice acting, and text.

As long as it gives them the funds to put out an awesome full-blown Tales game every few years, I am happy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

Did a new area on your map open up called "Twilight Palace"? If not, it appears you might have missed a quest in a chapter somewhere. The secret dungeon has a few new weapons and a boss.

And yeah, Wind Phoenix Rush is pretty good as well. I didn't like air combat though towards the end of the game. Early on it's a good idea to protect yourself by taking an enemy into the air but later on I'd rather charge straight in with Glory and my casters backing me up from afar. I also liked the Earth skill, the self-buff arte. I just always forgot to use it during a fight.

I haven't done all the quests in chapter 8 yet, so I don't know if that's it yet or not! I couldn't have missed it, though, since I have literally done every single quest.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I haven't done all the quests in chapter 8 yet, so I don't know if that's it yet or not! I couldn't have missed it, though, since I have literally done every single quest.

Are you planning on a 2nd playthrough for the secret dungeon Gladsheim?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

This screenshot is from the trailer for the new Wii Tales game, info of which is included on the bonus DVDs that come with Tales of Hearts preorders. Someone out there got the game early it seems. The trailer apparently does not give a title for the game. Looks like they're still going 3D. ToH itself gets released on the 18th so somebody will probably rip that trailer.

Edit: Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crRmKsFJuTU

The new guy has a nice line in kung-fu, including Hadokens it seems. There also seems to be a new take on the free-run system as well, since the battle footage shows the hero quickly dodging around his enemies, something I haven't seen ebfore in a 3D Tales.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 14, 2008

Eddain
May 6, 2007
That side-stepping looks really good. That, and how the artes connect to each other. Seems more planned out than ToSII that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just confirming, about the quests in Tales of Symphonia II (do I need to spoiler tag this?)

The Treasure Hunter's Trophy quests, of which there are four total in chapters 5-8, unlock the Twilight Palace dungeon

You should just do all the quests in general for better equipment/grimoires/manuscripts anyway, but for those who were wondering about unlocking stuff through quests.