Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gin_Rummy posted:

Picked this thing up on clearance as an early Christmas present.

Did you by chance go by Guitar Center and get the insane "2008 US Jazz Std. for $600" deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I will have it...

Washburn D10SCE Cutaway Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-?sku=516865

edit: Although I really want a Jumbo Cumberland but I think they're discontinued.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thoogsby posted:

edit: Although I really want a Jumbo Cumberland but I think they're discontinued.
Looks like they're still around, for the time being. They're worth grabbing, I had a Cumberland 12-string and it was a fantastic jumbo. A great poorman's J200.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Howling Bells posted:

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe.

That is hot.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Looks like they're still around, for the time being. They're worth grabbing, I had a Cumberland 12-string and it was a fantastic jumbo. A great poorman's J200.

See ya later refund check.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Most of my heavy-duty recording stuff is tied up at my band's practice space at the moment so I thought I'd put together a little mini studio in my apartment for when I'm feeling creative but too lazy to bike across town.

I've been quite the craigslist junkie lately and, with a somewhat obsessive amount of effort, have gotten some gear at really amazing prices.

I paid $150 for this baby:

'94 MIM P-bass
It's getting a tortoise-shell pickguard and black knobs as soon as I get around to it, and after a setup it plays like a dream. I'm pretty sure that based on the condition it was in when I bought it and the place that I bought it from that I've rescued it from a hard life of being traded back and forth for drug debts.

Here is my Axiom 49 that I only paid $120 for:

I'd been looking for a controller keyboard for some time, and I recently found someone on craigslist who wanted to trade their Axiom 49 for an Axiom 25 + cash. I bought an Axiom 25 for $100 from another craigslister and offered the guy with the 49 the 25 + $20 and he took it. :D
I've been messing w/ softsynths lately and the Axiom is amazing.

I saw this on craigslist for $75 and almost shat myself:

At work or school sometimes I'll sit there and refresh CL every 10 minutes (that's CL's listing refresh rate) and see some really great deals. I saw the 1604-vlz listed at $75 pop up and thought it might be a typo since that's about 1/10 the retail price. I called the guy and the price was legit, he was retiring and moving to the Phillipines to sleep with little boys or whatever and he just wanted all his possessions gone. 45 minutes later I was leaving his house with a giant mixer and a poo poo-eating grin on my face. I ended up taking the 1604 to the practice space and took my 1402-vlz home for my mini-studio.

At the practice space I have an M-Audio Delta 1010, and I'm pretty familiar with their drivers, so I picked this up on CL for the apartment:

Delta 66
No crazy deal on this one like the others, but it was priced fairly and pulling the trigger on $80 isn't really that hard to do when you know what you want. I still can't believe I paid more for this interface than that Mackie though...

I saw an early '80s Rat for $10 a few weeks ago, but I wasn't quick enough on the draw. Craigslist has completely ruined eBay and retail for me unless it's something rare (analog synths, etc.) or brand new.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 11, 2008

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Scarf posted:

Did you by chance go by Guitar Center and get the insane "2008 US Jazz Std. for $600" deal?

No, it's a Mexican Fender that was on sale for about $250. Nothing too fancy, but it's pretty solid.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I've been wanting to get a butterscotch blonde Tele for a while now. I've been jonesing to make my own Micawber or Springsteen Esquire and I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I was hoping to find an SX or Squier with a maple fretboard and unfortunately Rondo was out of stock of the STL 50 and only had the rosewood equipped STL62 in stock. I found a Squier Affinity BSB on eBay however I wanted a string through and the Squier was toploaded.

Rather than wait GAS got the better of me and man am I glad it did. The SX came today and I was stunned by how nice it was when I opened the box. The body color is a bit darker than standard BSB however you can see the grain through the coating and the rosewood fretboard is gorgeous! It has this wonderful aged look and is one of the best I've seen.

I purchased a Dream 90 from Guitarfetish for the neck pickup (Micawber with a twist) and put my old 50s Classic in the bridge. I also traded out all the stock electronics for a Dimarzio 3-way switch, CTS 250k pots, and a Les Paul jackplate with a switchcraft output jack. The body is actually routed for a neck humbucker so it was child's play installing the P90. I replaced the tuners with GFS, threw some DR blues on there and gave it a five minute setup and now it is ready to go.

I can't get over how well it plays. The neck is very chunky and the closest thing I can compare it to is the neck on my buddy's G&L ASAT Classic. The body is a bit heavy for most people but I prefer a little bit of chunk to it.

The Dream 90s sounds great. I think my new favorite tone is the middle position. On the clean channel of my Hot Rod Deluxe and my Behringer Tube Screamer knockoff it has this great Robbie Robertson circa Rock of Ages tone.

All told I spent $180 on the guitar and shipping with parts the parts I had to order (I had the electronics and tuners lying around.) As well as this guitar plays I would gladly pay a few hundred more for it than I did. I'll try to give a more in-depth review later once the newness and shine start to wear off.

Without further ado here are some photos:

The family
Left- My partscaster. It's a GFS Body, mystery ?Fender? neck, CTS and Dimarzio electronics, 60s Classic saddles, Wilkinson bridge and Fender Tex Mex pickups
Middle-SX
Right- 50's Classic (my number one.) I've replaced the stock pickups with a GFS Fatbody in the neck and Seymour Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge with compensated brass saddles.

And as a full disclosure I have never owned an american made guitar. I've played them of course but I am mainly comparing the SX to the Mexican and Japanese Fender's that I have owned.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I've ordered a customized Megatar Dragon that will look something like this but with some different hardware.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Handen posted:

I'd like to be able to use both Logic Pro 8 (already own) and Ableton Live 7 with either unit.

i have the fw1884 and i love it, works great with logic8. i've heard the m-audio works well with logic8 too though, but i have no experience with it. i'd say it comes down to price.

if you do get the fw1884, try and get a newer one, the first few batches had a problem where hotplugging would blow up the preamps and make whatever channel you hotplugged useless.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Handen posted:

FENDER BRONCO!?

Edit:

Anybody have any advice/praise/warnings about these two control surface audio interfaces?

TASCAM FW-1884

VS

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

I'd been interested in the M-Audio ProjectMix until I saw that the Tascam had seemingly more to offer. What I noticed was 1 MIDI I/O on the ProjectMix vs 4 MIDI I/O on the Tascam board, which might come into play down the line for me. I don't know much about MIDI yet, but if I got the ProjectMix, could I offload the task of controlling several MIDI peripherals to something like an M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 and have as much functionality as the Tascam would have? No worries about latency or MIDI slowdown? What are the benefits of two FW ports vs one?

I'd like to be able to use both Logic Pro 8 (already own) and Ableton Live 7 with either unit.

Maudio sponsered our studio, and gave us a project mix for pro tools. it had enough issues that we stopped using it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Teaser:
I ordered boutique pedal made by one of my favorite boutique pedal makers and I just got the email saying it shipped today. W00t.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Ben and Stew posted:

unfair! enjoy your bleep blooping

was pretty amazed to find one new, let alone find one at all, took a while though!!

'tis fitting in quite nicely

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

granpa yum posted:

i have the fw1884 and i love it, works great with logic8. i've heard the m-audio works well with logic8 too though, but i have no experience with it. i'd say it comes down to price.

if you do get the fw1884, try and get a newer one, the first few batches had a problem where hotplugging would blow up the preamps and make whatever channel you hotplugged useless.

Panda Time posted:

Maudio sponsered our studio, and gave us a project mix for pro tools. it had enough issues that we stopped using it.

Well drat, yesterday I bought a ProjectMix. Guess we'll see how it goes. I made my choice based on how many negative reviews I was reading about the FW-1884 and Tascam's impossible-to-deal-with service department.

Basically it came down to the fact that with the ProjectMix I could use all of the same programs plus ProTools if I ever needed it, and if I wanted more MIDI functionality I could add on a MIDIsport 1x1, 2x2 or 4x4 later on, plus it has the LED strip built right in. The only downside I could see is that the FW-1884 could be used as it's own stand-alone Mixer/MIDI interface in a live situation and the ProjectMix can't.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 13, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

GrAviTy84 posted:

Teaser:
I ordered boutique pedal made by one of my favorite boutique pedal makers and I just got the email saying it shipped today. W00t.

[rear end in a top hat]I really don't see the point of posting "teasers." I for one am not interested in trying to be a New Gear Sleuth. I wish you'd just come out and say it or not post anything 'til you're ready to.[/rear end in a top hat]

Sorry, that's been bugging me lately, it definitely isn't just you. And congrats on getting a custom boutique pedal, always a nice feeling :)

As for me, in the interests of 1) having the greatest variety of tones in my studio, and 2) doing the best, fully-featured reviews possible, I've added to my virtual rig...

and

Which brings my modeling arsenal to:

Peavey:
ReValver MkIII

IK Multimedia:
Amplitube 2
Amplitube: Jimi Hendrix
Amplitube: Metal
Amplitube: X-Gear

Native Instruments:
Guitar Rig 3
Rig Kontrol 3 Interface

I do not want for sounds to make. I'm about to get a PA and start selling pedals. Anyone interested in some noisemakers?

Edit: Ah, most of my pedals are dirt. I don't keep modulations around if I'm not going to use them, but I can't get enough dirt. I'll do an inventory next week and post it up in SA Mart with a crosspost here, just to see what offers come my way. I've got my eye on a G&L Legacy or a Charvel So-Cal... I do have some pretty cool stuff I could part with, including a George Lynch Dragon Wah complete with all the original packaging and papers, an Aramat Mojo Fuzz from Aramat Effects (R.I.P.), and a whole hell of a lot of other stuff, ranging from common to hard to find.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 13, 2008

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Agreed posted:

I do not want for sounds to make. I'm about to get a PA and start selling pedals. Anyone interested in some noisemakers?

What kind of vibrato or tremolo pedals are interested in parting with?

Edit: I guess pming me would be the best thing.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Agreed posted:

I've been thinking about getting the Hendrix Amplitube, I'd love a review when you've had time to play with it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

If you post a list of these and start an SA Mart thread, please PM me.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

[rear end in a top hat]I really don't see the point of posting "teasers." I for one am not interested in trying to be a New Gear Sleuth. I wish you'd just come out and say it or not post anything 'til you're ready to.[/rear end in a top hat]
I'm not jumping on the guy who just posted about his boutique pedal either, his post is inoffensive. But I have to agree in general that so-called teasers are just a waste of space on a forum. I'm sure it's exciting to be the one posting it but the rest of us just have no idea what you're talking about. Same deal with pictures of closed guitar cases with some caption like "Whatever could be inside?" The rest of us are not actually in the room looking at the closed case that just arrived, this is not exciting or interesting. It's just a closed case :)

Just my two cents on that. Now either Agreed sounds like less of an rear end or I sound like an rear end too :)

Also, what do you need a PA for? No offense but you aren't exactly about to start gigging right? Just curious. I'd love to see the pedal inventory. I'd love to pick up a nice tremolo, and any delay (preferably analog or analog-style) that can be used to make crazy psychedelic noises.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

I'm not jumping on the guy who just posted about his boutique pedal either, his post is inoffensive. But I have to agree in general that so-called teasers are just a waste of space on a forum. I'm sure it's exciting to be the one posting it but the rest of us just have no idea what you're talking about. Same deal with pictures of closed guitar cases with some caption like "Whatever could be inside?" The rest of us are not actually in the room looking at the closed case that just arrived, this is not exciting or interesting. It's just a closed case :)

Just my two cents on that. Now either Agreed sounds like less of an rear end or I sound like an rear end too :)

Also, what do you need a PA for? No offense but you aren't exactly about to start gigging right? Just curious. I'd love to see the pedal inventory. I'd love to pick up a nice tremolo, and any delay (preferably analog or analog-style) that can be used to make crazy psychedelic noises.

It's really a mid-field monitoring rig for my studio more than a "PA" as such. My near-fields don't do everything I need them to, and while I might not be gigging at the moment, I still do like to have friends over to jam. No fun trying to jam with a pair of active monitors and an active sub - they're just not made to be loud for sustained periods with the kind of dynamics that guitar puts them through. A small (two 12" PA cabinets with compression horns, and a compact powered mixer head) mid-field setup will make everything much easier.

Remember too that these amp modelers model everything about an amp, and have an extremely realistic feel and sound to feedback, as well. Playing can be a little "dead" sounding and feeling if you don't have the sympathetic resonance that you'd get by playing your guitar around a cranked up amp. For the sake of realism as much as loudism, I've got to have something that can rock out at sustained volume levels without me worrying about popping something. It's just a matter of what gear is intended to do, and what it isn't. I've got a huge Peavey PA rig if I want to really play out, but this is intended for the studio, not the stage, and I think it will accommodate my needs nicely.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Agreed posted:

Sorry, that's been bugging me lately, it definitely isn't just you. And congrats on getting a custom boutique pedal, always a nice feeling :)

Totally interested in more dirt. Post a list.

Way to kill my fun, btw. JK. Fine. I got this:

I'm excited.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
I love it when I have something to post here.

M Audio fast track pro is on the way.

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
After a whole year and a bit of saving I think my guitar gear is complete now.

After the Parker PM-20 I bought in September, I made myself an early christmas present and bought this.

I've only started noodling with it and I'm as lost as a very lost thing, the posibilities are endless.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

qball posted:

I've been thinking about getting the Hendrix Amplitube, I'd love a review when you've had time to play with it.

Keep an eye on my amp modeling megathread-in-the-making. I'll be posting a lot in there, reviewing all kinds of stuff. I'm about to post a couple clips, one of which is a demo of Amplitube Jimi Hendrix's Marshall Super Lead.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I've never really had any gear to post in this thread but now I do:

This is my previous Telecaster Nashville that I modded into a Telecaster Plus, It plays like a dream...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Twlight posted:

I've never really had any gear to post in this thread but now I do:

This is my previous Telecaster Nashville that I modded into a Telecaster Plus, It plays like a dream...

Now all you need is the Honda sticker with the wing.

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!
It's not sitting in my apartment yet but: http://www.enricobassi.it/tone-c.htm

Enaku
Mar 17, 2008

I like that it's a little jerky

Handen posted:

Now all you need is the Honda sticker with the wing.

And the cut-off switch. Oh and the hair.

Oh that hair.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Little something I picked up for fun.

Douglas WVEB Violin Bass from Rondo. I'm impressed by the good looks, and it sounds okay, but I won't be 100% until I take it in to the shop tomorrow for a setup and some flatwounds.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Enaku posted:

And the cut-off switch. Oh and the hair.

Oh that hair.

Radiohead: Meh.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It came!! Have yet to play it though, busy day today.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Dr.Mosh posted:

My wife got me one of these for my bday!

Holy poo poo! There are serious U2-type gearheads who claim that thing will do anything and everything the Edge's massive live rig will do, and then some.

Your wife's cool and $2000 lighter, those fuckers ain't cheap!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

It came!! Have yet to play it though, busy day today.

Ok so I made time to play it. This is thing is ridiculously awesome, has definitely got that Dumble spongy saggy buzz when you want it, but it can do a lot more. Cleans up with guitar volume and responds to pickup selection well, very responsive to pick attack. Lots of bass if you want it and plenty of gain for what this pedal would be used for. The harmonics on it are very rich and atypical, which is cool, and even in low drive settings the sustain great.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Bought a month and a half ago, with the intent to use Logic.

However, one a tracker (since 1993), always a tracker, and Renoise is next on the list. It'll be nice to have full control over my instruments. I've been using Modplug for far too long.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 16, 2008

geadhames
Dec 14, 2008

The head messer.

The "Got Milk?" guitar and the new Budda, respectively.
I hand wired the guitar, and the pickups are PRS McCarty treble and bass at the bridge and neck, respectively.
The knobs are: a green unknown, a white top hat that goes to 11, a Coca-Cola bottle cap and a stereo knob off a hi-fi from the late 70s.
It's a bolt on neck, it feels great, weighs and plays like a GIbson.
I paid around $250 for the whole thing.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

WorldWarWonderful posted:

However, one a tracker (since 1993), always a tracker, and Renoise is next on the list. It'll be nice to have full control over my instruments. I've been using Modplug for far too long.

Renoise is fantastic. I've been meaning to buy it after messing around with it at a friend's place. Last I heard, the dev team is actually working on a piano roll feature for it. A piano roll. On a tracker. It's going to be awesome :buddy:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Foiltha posted:

Renoise is fantastic. I've been meaning to buy it after messing around with it at a friend's place. Last I heard, the dev team is actually working on a piano roll feature for it. A piano roll. On a tracker. It's going to be awesome :buddy:

At least in OSX, the demo's full featured - the only thing you can't do is export to a wave file. So I can at least keep writing songs until I can afford it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Christmas came early, and I came soon afterwards. Yamaha R1Mx with all the manuals, MAM MB33 bass synthesizer, Korg DDD5 (hey it was cheap), Sony F* stereo microphone, 24mm Seimitsu buttons for building things. 100€ for the R1Mx with got the MB33 for free.

Gonna be a while until I figure out the R1Mx but the DDD5 is quite cool, coming from TRXoX series drum machines. It doesn't have that usual array of drums that sound very very good for being 12 bit like the 626 I used to own, it has a sexy set of thumb bass and pull bass, both very fat (can sample if anyone's interested). You could make 70's porno music on this thing!

Roll and flam, velocity on the pads, detachable overlay, far from as easy to learn as the XoX series but I think I'm going to like this more. Shame the only manual I've found is in French.

Time to get going downtown to pick up a ower supply for the MB33, saving the R1Mx for later. Next purchase will be a Yahama A4000 sampler with zipdrive and discs, 64 megs of internal memory for samples - 100€ for that deal. I gotta save some of this luck for when I start aiming for big fat synths. Merry christmas >:D

WorldWarWonderful posted:

However, once a tracker (since 1993), always a tracker, and Renoise is next on the list. It'll be nice to have full control over my instruments. I've been using Modplug for far too long.

Hell. Yes. That brings me back to the day I was into that stuff :)

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Korg DDD5 (hey it was cheap),

Cool! The DDD series has some great sounds I think. I think I'm going to pick up a DDD1 soon.

How's the RM1X so far? I don't know a lot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Handen posted:

Well drat, yesterday I bought a ProjectMix. Guess we'll see how it goes. I made my choice based on how many negative reviews I was reading about the FW-1884 and Tascam's impossible-to-deal-with service department.

Basically it came down to the fact that with the ProjectMix I could use all of the same programs plus ProTools if I ever needed it, and if I wanted more MIDI functionality I could add on a MIDIsport 1x1, 2x2 or 4x4 later on, plus it has the LED strip built right in. The only downside I could see is that the FW-1884 could be used as it's own stand-alone Mixer/MIDI interface in a live situation and the ProjectMix can't.

Update: It isn't even being recognized as having been connected to the computer. :saddowns:

Ugh I need to get some sleep and try this again when I wake up, because if I can't get it to work, I have until Friday to drive 200km to return it. :doh:x10000