Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

gimpsuitjones posted:

quotin myself here

realistically how big of a problem is this and is it really that hard/expensive to fix/get fixed?

the guy is taking it to a mechanic to get a diagnosis of the cause of the issue... I really liked the car but I don't want to buy something that's going to die in 6 months or cost me a lot of money

Yeah I would keep looking, my money is it's losing compression due to a blown head gasket somewhere. You can easily replace the head gaskets if you know what you're doing, but it's not going to be just like changing your oil, and you could run into problems like warped heads that need to be resurfaced.

It could also be that the valves aren't seating properly so it's not holding proper compression, or the piston rings aren't sealing completely. Both of which will not be an easy fix, I suggest either looking for a new car or having the mechanic fix it and then do another leakdown/compression test. Older Subarus are a dime a dozen, I would just look for another, there's nothing too special about that car, except that you really want it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

TurboLuvah posted:

Trust everyone when they say better tires are worth it. I didn't believe it until I got some high performance summer tires, and the difference is incredible, I am now a convert. At that to a nice set of Nokian winter tires, and I'm now a firm believer in the "buy better rubber immediately if possible," crowd.

Living in Portland I don't think he needs a dedicated set of winter tyres and wheels, but omg buy better all seasons now.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm going to repost this from the AI stupid questions thread because I think that it might get some more accurate responses here.

quote:

Today I test drove a 2002 Subaru WRX, Mostly stock but had been previously modified (Injectors, full exhaust, intercooler, different turbo) and returned to mostly stock. Just had the 104k mile maintenance performed by a subaru dealership and the timing belt replaced.

When I took the car out, I let it warm up then decided to run it through the paces. I will note this had replacement STI gauges which had a redline marked at 8k and aftermarket boost/ega gauges which were disconnected.

I revved the car out to 6k in 1st gear but as I shifted to second the car would begin to choke and back off on the power when I would hit between 4k-5k rpm's and wouldn't allow me to push past that point. Same can be said for 3rd gear. I tried taking 1st past 6k and it would do the a similar but more defined drop in power when I hit the rev limiter. It felt very similar to bouncing off an old-style rev limiter, except it completely forced the power off for a couple of seconds after the initial drop in power.

I was driving the car at an elevation of about ~5000-6000 ft above sea level and the car had been previously tuned and driven regularly at sea level. It was also snowing like a motherfucker. My initial reaction was to believe that it was some sort of problem with the fuel-to-air mixture. I really don't know a whole lot about modern computerized cars as I'm used to working on simple carburated engines.

Some things I didn't note is that the Check engine light was on at the end of the test drive, I don't think it was on when I started. Someone suggested that it could be a "Safe Mode" issue but I believe that fact that it will rev to 6k+ at idle and in first makes that a moot point I think?

I think that the TB Coupler or IC Y-pipe could also be causing this issue? Governor chip malfunction maybe? Could it also be giving issues like this if the ECU is tuned to modified parts no longer on the vehicle? Anyone have any thoughts?

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 15, 2008

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

"[ELP posted:

"]
I'm going to repost this from the AI stupid questions thread because I think that it might get some more accurate responses here.

Some things I didn't note is that the Check engine light was on at the end of the test drive, I don't think it was on when I started. Someone suggested that it could be a "Safe Mode" issue but I believe that fact that it will rev to 6k+ at idle and in first makes that a moot point I think?

I think that the TB Coupler or IC Y-pipe could also be causing this issue? Governor chip malfunction maybe? Could it also be giving issues like this if the ECU is tuned to modified parts no longer on the vehicle? Anyone have any thoughts?

I cant tell you what is wrong with it, but I can tell you that I wouldnt touch that car with a 10 foot pole.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Ok, I can understand that advice but if I take it to a shop and it turns out to be something simple like a fuel-to-air ratio problem wouldn't that be silly to pass on it? Am I missing something? I've already talked the car down quite a bit in price, would still be a deal even if I had to replace the engine. They have already agreed to diagnose and fix the problem before selling it to me at this point regardless.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 15, 2008

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

"[ELP posted:

"]
Ok, I can understand that advice but if I take it to a shop and it turns out to be something simple like a fuel-to-air ratio problem wouldn't that be silly to pass on it? Am I missing something? I've already talked the car down quite a bit in price, would still be a deal even if I had to replace the engine. They have already agreed to diagnose and fix the problem before selling it to me at this point regardless.

If my granny had balls she'd be my grandpa.

It's your money, and you sound like you don't want to be talked out of it, but OMGWTFNO. Run away.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
sounds like it has a lovely tune, is hitting boost cut, and goes into limp mode. Have a compression and leak down test done before you even consider buying the car. That will tell you if there are actual mechanical problems with the motor, like a cracked piston caused by detonation.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

There's a 2002 WRX for sale locally that looks like a fairly good deal. My current car is fine, although I plan on replacing it in the next 12-18 months.

It's got 100k miles and looks like it's in pretty good shape. It's an automatic, which I'd be OK with since I haven't had a manual transmission car in quite some time.

I'd lose some utility since I'd be downsizing my car quite a bit (I have a Chevy Blazer right now), but I should gain some gas mileage out of it and it'll be a lot more fun to drive.

Were there any major issues to watch out for with those WRX's? Any particular maintenance I should make sure it has had? Is the automatic really horrid (I drove a 2002 Forester XT with the automatic and didn't really like it)?

Anyone on this? I'm thinking about calling the guy to see it tomorrow at lunch and I don't want to waste my time if the automatic in the WRX is a ticking time bomb or something.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Turbo Car posted:

If you can record the noise, I'm drat sure I can tell you exactly what it is when I hear it.

Unfortunately I only have a normal camera so the sound is off, but maybe you can tell what's happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vv14M21HY0

These show, although not very well, a little of the pulling issue. Everytime it's going to the left it's when I have my hands off the wheel. Also you can hear more of that noise. Try to watch it in "high quality" because it was already lovely enough and youtube down converted it further. Even in high quality youtube hosed it up where you can't really see it changing lanes in the first one, but that's what is happening from 0:23-:0:25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVt_XimI6Ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjAePXK7XMg

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
Hey guys, im going to be driving to Florida from Chicago this Saturday. Im running a Cobb AP 93 Octane map and wanted to know if 93 Octane is actually available down where im headed (I should be taking I-75 all the way down and I'll be right outside Port Charlotte.) If there indeed is no 93 Octane down there, can I revert to a 91 Octane map now and run 93 on the 91 map until I fill up with the 91?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone on this? I'm thinking about calling the guy to see it tomorrow at lunch and I don't want to waste my time if the automatic in the WRX is a ticking time bomb or something.
I don't think it's a "ticking time bomb" per se, but I'm pretty sure it's the same auto that was in the Forester XT you didn't like.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

BannedForLulz posted:

Hey guys, im going to be driving to Florida from Chicago this Saturday. Im running a Cobb AP 93 Octane map and wanted to know if 93 Octane is actually available down where im headed (I should be taking I-75 all the way down and I'll be right outside Port Charlotte.) If there indeed is no 93 Octane down there, can I revert to a 91 Octane map now and run 93 on the 91 map until I fill up with the 91?

I'm in Floirda, and I've never seen 91 octane here, but there's 93 all over the place.

You'll be fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BannedForLulz posted:

I'm not sure I'd expect to find 93 everywhere ona cross-country road trip
Even here in minnesota, 93 is hard to find.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I'm in FL, and every station down here has 93. Might be harder to find on the way down here, though.

From Autoblog:

Autoblog posted:

Even more bad news (motor)sports fans. According to a report by Finnish sports site MT3.fi, Subaru will follow in the footsteps of Suzuki and pull out of the 2009 World Rally Championship (WRC) season. While Suzuki's declaration was a surprise, Subaru's exit from the world of rallying would be a serious blow to the sport as a whole and its fans in particular. A formal announcement will supposedly follow tomorrow, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that the Finns got this one wrong. Thanks to Eralp for the tip!

drat. Hell of a thing if that's true. Wonder how much it has to do with the announced switch to S2000-spec cars in a couple of years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bud Manstrong posted:

Wonder how much it has to do with the announced switch to S2000-spec cars in a couple of years.
If that were the case, we should expect to hear an announcement that they'll start an S2000 program and enter it into national rallies asap, if the plan is to come back to WRC in a couple years' time and hit the ground running.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

TurboLuvah posted:

Yeah I would keep looking, my money is it's losing compression due to a blown head gasket somewhere. You can easily replace the head gaskets if you know what you're doing, but it's not going to be just like changing your oil, and you could run into problems like warped heads that need to be resurfaced.

It could also be that the valves aren't seating properly so it's not holding proper compression, or the piston rings aren't sealing completely. Both of which will not be an easy fix, I suggest either looking for a new car or having the mechanic fix it and then do another leakdown/compression test. Older Subarus are a dime a dozen, I would just look for another, there's nothing too special about that car, except that you really want it now.

Thanks, I'll keep looking I guess

It's just so hard to find a mid 90's subaru in a manual, non-turbo version that hasn't been thrashed, crashed or modded by loving morons around here.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Thanks, I'll keep looking I guess

It's just so hard to find a mid 90's subaru in a manual, non-turbo version that hasn't been thrashed, crashed or modded by loving morons around here.

Meanwhile, I can't sell my 99 5sp Forester in crazy good shape for the life of me :smith:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
move to New Zealand and I'll be happy to take it off your hands...

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
And it's official. Subaru is out of WRC.

Press Release posted:

Tokyo, December 16, 2008 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the 2008 season.

FHI has participated in the WRC together with Prodrive, a motorsports and automotive engineering group in the UK, over the past 19 years to pursue its goal and philosophy in motor sports activities to enhance Subaru brand awareness by showing that Subaru vehicles offer safe, comfortable and pleasurable driving no matter the weather or road conditions, featuring Horizontally-Opposed engine and the Symmetrical All-Wheel drive system as its core technologies, and to transfer results of race-tested technical improvements into Subaru passenger vehicles.

Subaru has won three manufacturer's championship titles and three driver's championship titles in its history of rally racing. This has helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of Subaru vehicles all over the world.

FHI considers it has achieved its original target in WRC participation. However, while considering positioning the WRC activity in Subaru branding strategy towards the future, our business environment has been dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy. In order to optimize the management resources and to strengthen further the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from WRC activities at the earliest timing.

As regards future involvement in rally activities, FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in P-WRC or the Group N category.

President Mori commented that reaching this decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least with regards to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue liveried Impreza World Rally Car; "We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

Capitalizing on the priceless experience gained throughout the history in the WRC field, FHI will continue to offer Subaru customers products that integrate sheer excitement, safe, comfortable and reliable driving, respect of the global environment and peace of mind based on its philosophy of "Customer comes first."

Roast Beef
Jun 28, 2003

BannedForLulz posted:

do you have the AP V2.0 that does real time maps? If for some reason on the way there you couldn't get 93 you could use a real-time economy map and you should be OK I think. It runs wastegate boost iirc.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
In regards to my posts at the top of this page, turns out that the WRX has forged pistons, Greddy unequal length headers, HKS uppipe and Braille forged dog motor mounts. No downpipe is installed because it was going to pass smog. I think that lack of a downpipe could also be the problem and the engine may be balanced differently on than when the motor mounts were installed as there area number of mods removed from the car. I'm leaning towards it being a boost leak problem and/or lack of downpipe issue. I'll be taking it to DBTuned in Sacramento sometime next week for a compression check and to give it a full combing over before I buy it.

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice, was of great help. If anyone has any other suggestions for things I should look at with the car I'd appreciate it.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 16, 2008

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Tuuurbooo Caaaarrr!!! :(

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am too lazy to resize photos. This is one of a series that I am going to composite, but I forgot my camera and laptop in my other apartment.

http://ytrewq.org/wrx/DSC_0050.JPG

Up to 150 miles on the car.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Car looks awesome dude :) Get some daylight snaps!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Car looks awesome dude :) Get some daylight snaps!

I am off next week along with my friend who is also into photography along with another friend who is also into photography.

However, by then, I will have the gaudy wheels I painted for winter with the red lip!

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

FalconGuy016 posted:

Unfortunately I only have a normal camera so the sound is off, but maybe you can tell what's happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vv14M21HY0

These show, although not very well, a little of the pulling issue. Everytime it's going to the left it's when I have my hands off the wheel. Also you can hear more of that noise. Try to watch it in "high quality" because it was already lovely enough and youtube down converted it further. Even in high quality youtube hosed it up where you can't really see it changing lanes in the first one, but that's what is happening from 0:23-:0:25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVt_XimI6Ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjAePXK7XMg

Turbo car, if you read this, I checked my fluid level in the rear diff and in doing so tugged on the axle. Seems like it's starting to go (moves at the cv joint). Unfortunate it decided to start right when I removed the strut to confuse the poo poo out of me and waste time, but at least I know what to replace. Maybe it's causing me to pull as well.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

FalconGuy016 posted:

Tuuurbooo Caaaarrr!!! :(

Gah I don't check this for a day and you poo poo your pants.

That sounds like you've totally hosed a race in in your CV joint. If it ever sounds like it's going to fall the gently caress off but drives OK (like this), it's a hosed CV joint. If that was a wheel bearing it would've locked the gently caress up by now. Fuckity gently caress.

If you know how to pull apart a CV, go for it, it'll be easy to diagnose once you get it open. If you have never opened up a CV boot, however, take it to a dealership. The $300 they'll charge you to diagnose and replace the axle (if that's the case) is worth the piece of mind if you have no idea what you're doing.

edit: If you screw up reassembling a Rzeppa ball/cage type CV, you'll create the problem you're hearing for yourself even if it wasn't there before. The ball bearing need to be carefully tapped into their cage. Too hard and you'll dent one, and after 1000 miles of spinning it'll wear a trough in it's race and be hella loud.

FalconGuy016 posted:

Turbo car, if you read this, I checked my fluid level in the rear diff and in doing so tugged on the axle. Seems like it's starting to go (moves at the cv joint). Unfortunate it decided to start right when I removed the strut to confuse the poo poo out of me and waste time, but at least I know what to replace. Maybe it's causing me to pull as well.

Google tripod-type CV joints. They're supposed to move in and out like that :) To reiterate: that plunging action isn't your problem. It's supposed to do that to allow the suspension to articulate.

The only other thing I can think of is a broken clutch plate in the R180 banging around. I have never seen it happen in the year I've been pulling diffs apart, however.

Turbo Car fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 17, 2008

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Turbo Car posted:

Gah I don't check this for a day and you poo poo your pants.

That sounds like you've totally hosed a race in in your CV joint. If it ever sounds like it's going to fall the gently caress off but drives OK (like this), it's a hosed CV joint. If that was a wheel bearing it would've locked the gently caress up by now. Fuckity gently caress.

If you know how to pull apart a CV, go for it, it'll be easy to diagnose once you get it open. If you have never opened up a CV boot, however, take it to a dealership. The $300 they'll charge you to diagnose and replace the axle (if that's the case) is worth the piece of mind if you have no idea what you're doing.

edit: If you screw up reassembling a Rzeppa ball/cage type CV, you'll create the problem you're hearing for yourself even if it wasn't there before. The ball bearing need to be carefully tapped into their cage. Too hard and you'll dent one, and after 1000 miles of spinning it'll wear a trough in it's race and be hella loud.

Google tripod-type CV joints. They're supposed to move in and out like that :) To reiterate: that plunging action isn't your problem. It's supposed to do that to allow the suspension to articulate.

The only other thing I can think of is a broken clutch plate in the R180 banging around. I have never seen it happen in the year I've been pulling diffs apart, however.

It's moving side to side and generally acting poopy. The other side, which is new, is solid. The other side broke after the pot hole incident and when I cut the boot, the cage of the cv joint fell out in a goopy mess in about 150 pieces.

However, I am not familiar with rebuilding cv joints. From my brief encounter with this before I asked around for a day or so at different shops, and looked it up online, and determined it wasn't worth it (whether I am right or not I don't know). In any case, I'm loving sick at the fact you can get a new front axle for $55 at Autozone but since they don't make the rear ones yet they cost $400-$500 from a dealer.

Turbo Car posted:

The $300 they'll charge you to diagnose and replace the axle

God I wish, simply because that means the axle itself must be cheaper than $300.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The axle should be somewhere around $150-$200 for a remanufactured Subaru unit. I'm not that keen on those Autozone ones.

edit: Oh it's an STi, hmm...That may make a difference. Not sure.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 17, 2008

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

CharlesM posted:

The axle should be somewhere around $150-$200 for a remanufactured Subaru unit. I'm not that keen on those Autozone ones.

edit: Oh it's an STi, hmm...That may make a difference. Not sure.

Yeah, unfortunately a huge one. I don't like the Autozone ones either, but if it will keep me rolling for $55 while I gather $400 I'll take it.

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?
Not enough flannel in this channel what with your new-fangled "WRX" and "STi" things.

Needs more GL.

Many LOLs.

quote:

* EGR REMOVED, and replaced with a pc video card heatsink.

kaniff fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 17, 2008

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Roast Beef posted:

do you have the AP V2.0 that does real time maps? If for some reason on the way there you couldn't get 93 you could use a real-time economy map and you should be OK I think. It runs wastegate boost iirc.

I do have the V2.0 (as best as I can tell), I didnt know that it did real-time maps. I thought that it had to be in test mode with all those connectors hooked up. Hmm.

Well, my plan was to run the 93 octane map until I run into a row of stations without 93 octane, at which point it should take me but 10 minutes to pull out the AP and its needed clips, etc. and upload a 91 octane map right there at the station. Or is this not going to work how I am seeing it working in my head?

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

BannedForLulz posted:

I do have the V2.0 (as best as I can tell), I didnt know that it did real-time maps. I thought that it had to be in test mode with all those connectors hooked up. Hmm.

Well, my plan was to run the 93 octane map until I run into a row of stations without 93 octane, at which point it should take me but 10 minutes to pull out the AP and its needed clips, etc. and upload a 91 octane map right there at the station. Or is this not going to work how I am seeing it working in my head?

If it looks like that it's AP v.2

Roast Beef
Jun 28, 2003

BannedForLulz posted:

This would work, but remember that when you flash it is going to reset the ECU and you lose all of your learned parameters. This drives me nuts because the throttle mapping goes crazy, but maybe you don't mind.

Either way if your AP looks like the picture FalconGuy posted you can use the real-time maps, and you leave the testmode connectors unplugged. You plug the AP into the OBD2 port and there should be a real time map menu option.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

FalconGuy016 posted:

Yeah, unfortunately a huge one. I don't like the Autozone ones either, but if it will keep me rolling for $55 while I gather $400 I'll take it.

If I was doing the work, I'd only charge for an hour's worth of labor because it's easy as hell to do if you have an good impact. That'd be about $300. STi and WRX axles are essentially the same, only with different splines from certain years. An SVX axle will directly mate to an '04 STi tranmission I was told by my boss.

How weird is that?

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Turbo Car posted:

If I was doing the work, I'd only charge for an hour's worth of labor because it's easy as hell to do if you have an good impact. That'd be about $300. STi and WRX axles are essentially the same, only with different splines from certain years. An SVX axle will directly mate to an '04 STi tranmission I was told by my boss.

How weird is that?

I didn't think an R160 diff axle would fix in a R180. I only gathered that from people converted their wrx's to 6 speed, the stock rear axles never fit into the new diff.

What I'm concerned and possibly excited about is how you would charge $300 to replace my axle. That implies you can get an appropriate axle for at least less than $300. I cannot find one for less than $395. I can replace an axle, it's incredibly easy on the rears and I didn't even need an impact wrench last time, I just hate having to buy one.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

BannedForLulz posted:

Evidently using realtime flash instead of a complete reflash has shittier settings or something, so the rumor on nasioc goes. Just start the AP before you start pumping gas, by the time its done at the pump, you should be done on the AP.

I love that all up and down i95 is 93 octane :D

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Lando posted:

Evidently using realtime flash instead of a complete reflash has shittier settings or something, so the rumor on nasioc goes. Just start the AP before you start pumping gas, by the time its done at the pump, you should be done on the AP.

I love that all up and down i95 is 93 octane :D

it's no different at all. But if you reset the ecu/disconnect the battery it goes back to the base map.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

FalconGuy016 posted:

I didn't think an R160 diff axle would fix in a R180. I only gathered that from people converted their wrx's to 6 speed, the stock rear axles never fit into the new diff.

What I'm concerned and possibly excited about is how you would charge $300 to replace my axle. That implies you can get an appropriate axle for at least less than $300. I cannot find one for less than $395. I can replace an axle, it's incredibly easy on the rears and I didn't even need an impact wrench last time, I just hate having to buy one.

I've got a ton of them sitting around the shop I work in. We buy them off of crashed STis and rebuild them (when we have time) as spares. They're like $50 a piece if you know where to find them (hint: NASIOC)

I poo poo you not my boss can change out all four axles on the car in under 10 minutes. He just busts everything off with a massive impact, knocks the rear endlink bolt off with one hit of the hammer, and just loving pulls the rear axles off with brute force. It's pretty amazing.

The '06 STi has the same final gear ratio as the '06 WRX, so you can use the '06 STi 6-speed with the R160, so my boss says, and can keep the same axles. That's what I was thinking off, not the axles My bad.

Turbo Car fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turbo Car posted:

We buy them off of crashed STis and rebuild them (when we have time) as spares.

At what rate do you find crashed STis? What sort of net do you cast? All over NA?