Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Contingency Plan posted:

You know when you click on your touch in iTunes and it shows a little bar displaying how the touch's memory is allocated? What would the orange 'other' be made up of? Cover art and the touch's interface?

I would assume OS related stuff. I think if you use something like Stanza it would also be the books that you have on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Contingency Plan posted:

You know when you click on your touch in iTunes and it shows a little bar displaying how the touch's memory is allocated? What would the orange 'other' be made up of? Cover art and the touch's interface?

For my 16G that "other" bar tends to hang close to 200M. I believe that is stuff like your iTunes library files, album artwork, genius information, system settings, etc.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
:siren: Video converting :siren:

From what I hear you guys saying, Videora is not the way to go.

Should I be using Handbrake or WinAVI to convert my DVDs and .avi files to an iPod friendly format? Or is it just personal preference?

Why is Videora so bad?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

:siren: Video converting :siren:

From what I hear you guys saying, Videora is not the way to go.

Should I be using Handbrake or WinAVI to convert my DVDs and .avi files to an iPod friendly format? Or is it just personal preference?

Why is Videora so bad?

I'm using Handbrake for all my conversion now that it supports converting source files.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

unpurposed posted:

I'm using Handbrake for all my conversion now that it supports converting source files.

What format should I have it convert to? Does it really matter? I just chose mp4.

asveepay
Jul 7, 2005
internobody

Super Dude posted:

What format should I have it convert to? Does it really matter? I just chose mp4.

I also choose mp4. I don't think it really matters as long as it is one of those two.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I was trying to rip an episode from one of my Chuck dvds, but I couldn't figure out how. The episodes didn't show up in the "Title" section. Was I doing something wrong?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this is a more general itunes question, but do you guys know if there is a way to get rear speakers to mirror the fronts?

I'm using Vista, if that matters. I've been hunting around for a setting or plugin or whatever to do it, but I haven't found anything that works in itunes 8

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

TenementFunster posted:

this is a more general itunes question, but do you guys know if there is a way to get rear speakers to mirror the fronts?

I'm using Vista, if that matters. I've been hunting around for a setting or plugin or whatever to do it, but I haven't found anything that works in itunes 8

That sounds like something you would take care of in Vista's sound settings or your sound card's driver settings.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Question! The Maps application on the iPhone. If I use it on my iPod Touch, can I Use it offline too?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Super Dude posted:

That sounds like something you would take care of in Vista's sound settings or your sound card's driver settings.
believe me, I've tried. I have a X-Fi Prelude that outputs DTS Connect to my receiver via SPDIF, and I've fiddled with just about everything. Every other multichannel source works fine, I just haven't figured out a way to get itunes to play nice by mirroring the front channels in the back

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Question! The Maps application on the iPhone. If I use it on my iPod Touch, can I Use it offline too?

Google Maps?

Not offline.. Well sort of. You can map your destination and then go offline and it will keep the current route cached, but you cannot navigate from the roads at all or re-route.

Its almost useless offline.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Can I use it with a bluetooth GPS receiver, or does the iPod Touch not have bluetooth...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Can I use it with a bluetooth GPS receiver, or does the iPod Touch not have bluetooth...
The wifi chip has BT capability, but Apple's FCC certification for the touch did not include it. There's a slim chance if they manage to jailbreak it, but don't hold your breath. Google maps is useless without an Internet connection, anyway, and I doubt you would need or want to use GPS anywhere that you have a connection. The wifi-based location has not yet ceased to impress me, and has managed to figure out where in the building I was at work among our ~30 access points

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ohhh. i was under the impression you downloaded the maps to the device.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

CelestialScribe posted:

Ohhh. i was under the impression you downloaded the maps to the device.

That would require a ton of storage for something like google maps.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So then, how is using the Maps application any different than just going to the website itself?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm pretty sure going to the website on the iPhone just launches the app.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rock Tumbler posted:

I'm pretty sure going to the website on the iPhone just launches the app.

I meant accessing the website through Wi-Fi.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What? If it launches the app on the iPhone using the cell network, it'll launch the app using Wi-Fi on a Touch. There's no difference here.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ohhhhhhhhh.

Never mind my iPod virginity, I just assumed certain things :)

I bought a 16GB Touch today during my lunch break. Sitting right here beside me!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I think I'm going to put my bestskinsever skin on before I even start using the touch when I get it on friday. I really don't want to scratch it at all. Now I have to wait even longer. :sigh:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Ohhhhhhhhh.

Never mind my iPod virginity, I just assumed certain things :)

I bought a 16GB Touch today during my lunch break. Sitting right here beside me!

Several sites have made apps just to make accessing info easier. Rather then launch safari, deal with possible bugs, screen resizing, etc. So Google, for example, made a fast little app to do the same thing without the middle man.. Other sites like Woot and Facebook have also done the same.

I really find google maps useless on the touch unless I am somewhere and need a quick reference like a coffee shop.

Also, the bluetooth functionality of the chipset is being hardware-hijacked for the nike+. Even if they do jailbreak, they won't be able to use it for bluetooth.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Since touching and dragging within a Safari window will just move the window around, the App bypasses all that crap. As for downloading stuff, I never realized just how much data Google Maps is pushing until I tried to access it from my work Blackberry, which displays how much has transferred. A few hundred kb per screen on maps, and four or five times that much for satellite.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rock Tumbler posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. The guy at the Genius Bar claimed that it was normal, but if it is normal then the iPod is officially the shittiest PMP ever, which is probably not the case. I did some testing and research and determined that it's a faulty op-amp, so I'm sending it back to Apple.

It would be nice if there was a repair request category for audio, playback, or anything else that might be related to the iPod's primary function. I chose "connectivity" because nothing else made sense, but it turns out that "connectivity" actually refers to Wi-Fi. Of course, I only discovered this after submitting the repair request, but hopefully whoever gets it is semi-literate and can read the description I typed in.

Well, Apple's repair staff has reported no problem found with the iPod, despite ample evidence to the contrary from multiple sources. :suicide: Looks like I'm taking it back to the Apple Store and making a big scene until they give me a new one.

This has been the worst support experience of my life.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is there any way to use the GBA emulator without jailbreaking?

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge
Just got a 32gb 2nd gen

Seems I can no longer get audio out of the dock? I had a basic dock to RCA cable to use in my car. When I jack that into the Touch I only get the internal speaker.

Is this some plan by Apple to only allow genuine accessories?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

phunkdust posted:

Just got a 32gb 2nd gen

Seems I can no longer get audio out of the dock? I had a basic dock to RCA cable to use in my car. When I jack that into the Touch I only get the internal speaker.

Is this some plan by Apple to only allow genuine accessories?

It has something to do with the lack of Firewire support on the 2G Touches I believe. Some of the pins on the dock connector that were used for Firewire were used by a lot of aftermarket docks so you could get audio out. They eliminated those pins on the 2G Touch, so older docks won't work.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Is there any way to use the GBA emulator without jailbreaking?

Not unless apple approves it as an app, which I HIGHLY doubt they will.

One thing to note, I personally find emulators on the touch highly annoying due to lack of physical buttons.. Something to keep in mind. Especially in D-Pads.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FidgetyRat posted:

Not unless apple approves it as an app, which I HIGHLY doubt they will.

One thing to note, I personally find emulators on the touch highly annoying due to lack of physical buttons.. Something to keep in mind. Especially in D-Pads.

Yeah, I agree. Games that use the accelerometer can be fun (Chopper is my favorite so far, and touch-screen Tetris is pretty enjoyable too) but the lack of tactile controls really hamstrings it as a gaming device, no matter what Apple's marketing department is trying to push it as.

The iControlPad will likely solve these problems, but they've not been forthcoming with updates as of late.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge

LordOfThePants posted:

It has something to do with the lack of Firewire support on the 2G Touches I believe. Some of the pins on the dock connector that were used for Firewire were used by a lot of aftermarket docks so you could get audio out. They eliminated those pins on the 2G Touch, so older docks won't work.

All I did was solder up my own cable tapping into the L, R, and ground as described on pinouts.ru, unless the pins for line out have changed?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Picked up a 16GB a few days ago to replace my dead 30GB Video. I love the interface, and Youtube/Safari are nice additions to the music player. Its so much more responsive without a hard drive.

Installed a couple free apps. Remote works nicely at controlling iTunes, but it would be nice if it could stream the music back to the iPod. That would also include functionality to copy music without plugging it in.

And Tap Tap Revenge is pretty fun, especially considering I didn't like Guitar Hero all that much.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
Check this out.

http://www.simplifymedia.com/

You can stream, but you can't copy music to your iPod.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, jeff, Simplify Media is exactly what you want.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
I have a 2nd gen.

I'm in Malaysia for break and my touch would not detect ANY wireless. I've tried connecting to my sis's dsl wireless but it simply would not show up. Even after I've tried to manually connect by selecting "other" and typing in the name and key, it would not connect. My laptop connects fine. I've tried to scan for wifi in the malls, government buildings and got nothing (I doubt there is wifi anyways).

The wireless was working in SFO and Hong Kong airports so I'm wondering whats the deal here? I thought the touch is suppose to be a versatile gadget but it is not working here.

In short: Touch can't find ANY wifi. What is going on?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Are you really sure there is wifi at those spots?

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Super Dude posted:

Are you really sure there is wifi at those spots?

It says "free wifi" and there are people with laptops browsing the net. Since I did not have a laptop with me at the time, I cannot confirm. But I can say for sure that my sis's place has wifi that is not detected by the touch.

UPDATE: Problem solved. I reset the network settings and rebooted the touch. That seems to do it. Why it happened, I have no idea...

Genewiz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 19, 2008

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Ok now I'm having a wifi problem. I had it hooked up to my home's wifi network, but then I was having some trouble connecting to my email. I decided to try to disconnect from the network, so I told it to "forget" that network. Then, I thought it would show up again in the list, allowing me to reconnect. Instead, no networks show up at all. I even tried manually typing in the ssid but it said that it couldn't find the network. How can I reconnect to my network

Edit: nevermind

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 19, 2008

japii
Mar 25, 2003

japii like nivek.
So I've recently been obsessed with trying to figure out all the various ways to send SMS messages over wi-fi. The most promising so far is using Google's Gmail Chat service (not the same as Google Talk as far as I can tell), but other options include just sending an email to the various carriers' sms web gateways (att's is (phonenumber)@txt.att.net for instance), or using the Aim client but I haven't had any luck with that.

The thing I hate about just using the individual carrier's gateway is that the message on the receiving end isn't nearly as clean as it could be, and every time you send a message it shows up as coming from a different number. With Gmail Chat it is supposed to use the same number every time so that definitely looks like the most promising option, the only problem is I haven't found out how to access Gmail Chat on my iPod. I can get to the Gmail page and on the bottom I click 'View Gmail in: Desktop' but even then the Gmail Chat interface doesn't show up on the left hand side like it does when I access it from a computer.

Any ideas on this, or is using Gmail Chat on my iPod just not an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Well I put on my BSE skin last night. It was about 20x harder than putting on my zune skin. I have no idea why. I also couldn't get the corners to stick down 100%, and a very small amount of the back is uneven as it comes towards the front, leaving a sliver of the back casing stick out. I'm a perfectionist so it's bother the hell out of me. :(

edit: It looks like two small amounts of water that was under the skin decided to pool together last night (really small) and form a small bubble. Are these going to go away with time like the small air bubbles or am I screwed? This is only on the back. I swear they weren't there when I left it to dry last night.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 19, 2008

• Locked thread