Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbo
Apr 4, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Heroes III

This is pretty reasonable advice, but I'm going to disagree with most of it, heroes is a pretty deep game, theres different ways to play. Heres my advice:

- Gold is the only resource you'll worry about late game. Get as much as you can as often as you can - it's almost always worth sacrificing a bunch of troops for gold mine.

- Might heroes are usually better than magic heroes. A 2k damage implosion looks pretty cool, but a high level might hero can have troops 2 to 3 times as good as a high level magic hero.

- The best hero skill is logistics, hands down. Move more, capture more resources, kill more bad guys, get more experience - and run down enemy heroes before they can get back to town.

- A hero with leadership, luck, archery, resistance, offense and armourer is hilarious. Expert archery increases ranged damage by 50%, expert luck will double damage like a quarter of the time.

- The aim of any battle is to win with the least casualties, or lose with the most enemy casualties - every unit counts. Meatshields backed by ranged units is always a good idea. Leave stacks you don't like back home (eg. pikemen), cos that stack of 1000 will save your castle some day.

- Shooting units are way overpowered. Marksmen and Grand Elves attack twice, and will probably get two goes before the enemy closes, so its like you're hitting four times for free. The best army is all ranged (archangels and archdevils pretty much count because they can move anywhere).

- Combat speed is important and hard to increase. The cape of velocity artifact (theres some hand one as well i think) is awesome. First turn haste or slow is pretty much the best spell you can cast for most of the game.

- The Castle town is the easiest, the Fortress is the hardest. The rest are much of a muchness. Some towns don't get 5th level mage guilds, so if you want to play a magic hero, try Tower first (they also get a 1st and 7th level ranged troop, so they can get pretty broken).

- The unofficial WoG expansion is cool once you're used to the game, but most of the options make the game a lot easier, so play up a couple difficulty levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Disciples 1: Sacred Lands or Disciples 2: Gold Edition

1. Start out playing the Empire and Warrior Lord. Don't worry about upgrading your villages unless one of them is under constant attack.
2. Your first two parties should consist of a Pegasus Knight in the lower right, a fighter in the upper right, an archer at the lower left and a healer at the upper left. Unless you're playing against the Undead, you should always pick the Knight route for your fighters and the cleric route for your healers.
3. Build LOTS of thieves. Their poisoning abilities are vital to getting anywhere in the game and leveling your characters to the point that they'll survive a battle. Honestly, you'll be relying on thieves for everything and with good reason.
4. If you're unable to raid a dungeon with your current high-level hero, send a low-level hero to his death to weaken the enemy for your high-level hero. This is vital to many campaign scenarios for any race.
5. Hero-specific spells are required to win mid-game and late game battles. If you can't cast any spells before going into battle, don't go into battle.
6. Keep selling any valuables you find to merchants. Even if you only get 200 gold from everything that will be enough to get another thief onto the field.
7. Also, never leave any of your villages undefended unless its far away from the enemy lines. A two-portrait sized creature and an area-effect spellcaster should be plenty.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 3, 2008

Torrim
Jun 24, 2007
I am on INTERNET.
Mass Effect: DO NOT go to Noveria first. DON'T DO IT.

BuzzW
Jul 30, 2006

tendrilsfor20 posted:

2) Car damage carries over from race to race? Seriously? I cannot find the "quick fix" button anywhere (do I need to go to a gas station?) and anyway I need to know how much it costs to repair a busted car, and at what point, damage-wise, should I quick-travel to the garage?

It should ask you if you want to repair your car after each race in a series (but not the last race in a series I think). Repairing your car is either free or so cheap that I never noticed it.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Silentman0 posted:

Give me Defcon tips, please. I played a couple of matches online and got my rear end handed to me both times and I can't tell what I can do to improve.

The game's not really about winning, but rather about losing less than everyone else. Launch all of your non-silo nukes as early as possible to soften up targets. Once they initiate retaliatory strikes, launch your silo nukes. Choosing your targets is incredibly important as well - remember that your score depends on civilian carnage alone. It's a good idea to have about ten nukes inbound towards a major population center, because at least a few of them will be shot down, and those that aren't are going to cause quite a few megadeaths.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Silentman0 posted:

Give me Defcon tips, please. I played a couple of matches online and got my rear end handed to me both times and I can't tell what I can do to improve.

Jade teaches you to play as Russia

And South America

Also VarangianSams advice is loving terrible except for the last sentience.

Personally I play defense. Make your country as unappealing a target as possible. If the enemy doesn't know where your defenses are then they are more likely to either take blind shots at you which is a waste of their nukes, or they'll look for a easier target. Use your bombers before your silos, use them to nuke enemy silos, radar and airbases to dust so they can't stop any of your nukes when you do launch silos or aim at their cities. E: I guess I should point out this tactic takes a bit more skill then the general 'nuke other people' idea. You need to time it well or crush a guys defense. Timing it right as he's busy attacking someone else is the best possible outcome ever, all his forces are engaged and you drop and carrier fleet and subs worth of nukes on him while he's firing his silos.

Watch the videos and remember, if you attack, do it in force. Don't send nukes in piecemeal because they will get shot down. And for the love of god, never surface subs with out protection nearby unless you have no other choice.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 4, 2008

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any tips for Kameo, Burnout Paradise or Armored Core : Answer?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Jagged Alliance 2

- The IMP test is rather transparently gameable. I find a stealth (expert) or Stealth + Ambidextrous build to be most advantageous.
- Bull is probably the best of the cheap mercs to start and there are is at least one occasion where a flat out tough hand to hand fighter is very useful.
- Shadow Shadow Shadow Shadow Shadow Shadow loving get Shadow.
- Attack at night to take advantage of your stealthers (which include Shadow).
- Take advantage of the Mercs' Morale synergies.
- If you hire Mercs from AIM for the longest possible chunks when you get them (2 wks, IIRC) they do not have the option of saying no when you wish to extend their contracts.
- This game is awesome. Treasure every minute.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone got tips for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast? I'm having a hell of a time keeping my inventory well managed. Right now I have three objects that are probably gonna be used for puzzles, a small key and my knife, gun, ammo, etc, so I can't pick up an item I need to finish a puzzle. Apparently theres no drop item option, and I have no items I can use to get rid of. I'm in the Police Station, is there somewhere to store items I just overlooked or something, and will I have to be running back and forth to storage places a lot for puzzles?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Anyone got tips for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast? I'm having a hell of a time keeping my inventory well managed. Right now I have three objects that are probably gonna be used for puzzles, a small key and my knife, gun, ammo, etc, so I can't pick up an item I need to finish a puzzle. Apparently theres no drop item option, and I have no items I can use to get rid of. I'm in the Police Station, is there somewhere to store items I just overlooked or something, and will I have to be running back and forth to storage places a lot for puzzles?

Small Keys are for locked desks, which usually have First Aid Sprays in them, so you can dump them in a box (I can't remember a time I didn't have a bunch of healing items).

You'll find the storage boxes in most of the save point rooms (looks like a huge metal box)

I used the knife about 0 times in any of the RE games, unless it was a plot point (like in Code Veronica)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think there is an item storage chest near the stairs that leads to the statues. You have to go past a few zombies in that hallway far to the right, before the foot of the steps.
Knives are useless outside of RE4. Don't pick up everything as you will backtrack enough times for the plot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

1) You can get through the very first section of the game barely using any ammo and killing any zombies. Do it.

2) Ditch the knife the first chance you get. The only game it is useful in is Code Veronica where you can get through a large portion of the game using only it.

3)leave small keys in storage boxes unless you know what you are going to unlock with it.

4)There are boxes that look like chests that you can store stuff in, they are usually in save rooms

5)Ammo is pretty rare starting out, but after a while, you will have tons of the stuff.

6)certain zombies can be and should be left alone. If you are in a big area, just run around them. I usually always kill lickers though. Dogs are your discretion. They are usually idling about and you can safely run past them if you know where you are going.

7)Check the bodies of people laying around. They usually have ammo and stuff on them.

Most important to remember is that once you go through the game the first time, it becomes piss easy to go through the second time because you know what is where, where all the ammo is, when you can use your ammo, and you will know what you need to bring before you get to the actual puzzle.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I might just restart with these tips. I think I'm almost out of the precinct, but I'm out of ammo, and almost dead, and have a dog between me and all the shitloads of healing items I left where they were. Thanks everyone.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?
Is there any way out of the "enemies too hard" trap in Oblivion? I wish I'd read this thread.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
I've learned in Order of Ecclesia that I'm terrible and I've done something to deserve all this. I apologize for that.

Any other advice? For example, is it best to have my glyphs set up with one on each button, or is there any benefit to mixing? I bought it with no manual, I guess that might have helped.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Putting the same glyph on both buttons lets you do do a combo of sorts by rapidly pressing Y and X back and forth (it's great for Nitesco). I went through the majority of the game with Vol Falcis and Vol Macir pairs on my A/B glyph sets. Usually complimented by a defense boost from Fortis Fio.

There are some special glyph unions though if you do mix the glyphs up a bit. Nitesco + some weapon does a great glyph union that's essentially the sword union except with a light saber. Umbra and Luminatio have probably the single most powerful attack in the game in their glyph union, though it takes a lot of hearts. I think "some element" + "some weapon" is the standard formula, which you can adjust according to your attribute levels and what the enemies are weak against.

Don't forget to pay a lot of attention to what enemies are weak against (the red markers on their info pages). You don't want to be using slash against robots for example. For bosses, just try out a few elements to see what does the most damage.

Also if you have the Emperor Ring, you can use it to get a LOT out of your potions too (a high potion essentially completely heals you).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I just started playing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. There doesn't seem to be a lot of potential for loving up, since everyone levels up at the same rate as your main team (except for XP bonuses and simulations, I guess), and you can go back to any point in the game at any time, but I just wanted to know if there was anything, particularly Simulator Discs, that I can miss and never get again.

Oh, and right now I'm not spending a single cent before I get all the costumes for my favorite character (Storm) so I can pump all of it into the one I think is the best. Is this smart?

Is there anything else that could be helpful?

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Abugadu posted:

Any advice on someone about to start Oblivion? I've played Morrowind thoroughly, but am slightly worried about the scaling enemies I've heard so much about.

You can really, really break the game by making a set of 100% Chameleon armor. If you're too low level to enchant the items yourself, it is possible to save the game right before you pick up the magic stones in the Plane of Oblivion. The effects on those Sigil Stones is randomly generated when you pick them up, so if you don't get the effect you want (in this case, 25% Chameleon) you can reload the save and try it again.

Set aside a few items that are not major pieces, like rings and gauntlets to put these stones into, and you become completely invisible yet still able to attack without breaking the invis.

As I said, it basically breaks the game, as you can stand right in front of shopkeepers and steal everything on the table and the vast majority of enemies can't see through invisibility, but if you're looking for an easy route past some of the quests that is an option.

edit: Dammit, I type too slowly. :(

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

doctor 7 posted:

Halo 3:
- the sniper rifle and shotgun make you the ultimate anti-personnel bad rear end in multipler
why would you need a shotgun if you have snipe? you can noscope+beatdown all day. all you really need is BR/sniper

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie

Nate RFB posted:

One more small question then I'll be done. What does it mean to put something on display in the general store? Is this something I should be doing?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CordlessPen posted:

I just started playing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. There doesn't seem to be a lot of potential for loving up, since everyone levels up at the same rate as your main team (except for XP bonuses and simulations, I guess), and you can go back to any point in the game at any time, but I just wanted to know if there was anything, particularly Simulator Discs, that I can miss and never get again.

I'm no expert (I played about half the game then gave up), but I do remember that there is one simulator disk that it is possible to miss, as its in a place you cannot go back to. I think (I'm far from 100% sure on this) that its the Deadpool simulator disk, and that its in Asgard I think.

Fake edit: I just checked, there are 2 disks you can miss and then not be able to get back to: Deadpools in Asgard and Mysterios in Murderworld.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

kirbyabc posted:

why would you need a shotgun if you have snipe? you can noscope+beatdown all day. all you really need is BR/sniper
Some people have bad aim, particularly with an unzoomed sniper rifle at close range. And yes, I am one of these people. :saddowns:

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

BadAstronaut posted:

Anyone want to do me some Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura starter advice?

Great idea for a thread.

Keep in mind that:
- you get more experience in combat if YOU'RE the one hitting the monsters, not your party members.
- Dexterity is probably the most important attribute, since it governs most combat skills, as well as the thief abilities as well. If you want to succeed at melee, you need DX more than you need strength (although that helps, too).
- Beauty is a little useless, since you can excel as an intelligent ugly person, but not as a beautiful idiot.
- Worthless Mutt is the best fighter NPC in the game. If you want him in your party, remember two things: (1) Mutt is so good at fighting that for the first half of the game, having him in your party will make combat very boring (and less lucrative in terms of experience, since Mutt will tear through enemies before you can even reach them). (2) If you want him in your party, you'll have to hoof it to the inn the first time you arrive in Ashbury. If you don't get there in time, the gnome kicking Mutt will kill him.
- In Tarant, you can deliver a note for a shady individual (in the Wellington Gentleman's club), solve the theft of a painting (the Garringsburg heist), and fetch a new crystal ball for a psychic. Be sure to complete the quests in this order, and for the crystal ball quest, side with Toussaud not Besson.
- Speak to Thom Grak (middle of Tarant) to start one of the more interesting quest lines.
- By the time you explore the Black Mountain Clan, you should be at LEAST level 20, your entire party should be wearing metal armor, you’ll need to be able to take some heavy hits, you’ll need to be able to heal yourself a lot, and you’ll need at least apprentice level in repair, OR lots of weapons, OR the ability to teleport out of a dungeon with an Exit scroll to get your equipment fixed by someone else.
- When it’s time to go to Thanatos, you can either pay a lot of money for passage or you can get your own ship. Getting the ship is more complicated, but worth it since you can travel to virtually any city for free from that point on.
- Items to hang onto: shovel, mithril, Molochean Hand amulet, kathorn crystal, heartstone, and, if you're a tech, saltpeter & charcoal (the two components in bullets).
- If you're a tech that's high on the scale (75 or so) healing magic will almost always fail on you. BUT most of the party-joinable NPCs in the game don't fall far enough on the scale in either direction for this to be the case, so you might want to have a healer in your party to look after them, while you take care of your own healing.

Here's some additions to your helpful suggestions:

Residue posted:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

-When creating your character, avoid the backgrounds that depend on your location for magic. Miracle Operation is almost overpowered.

Also avoid any background that gives you a weapon, or increased starting gold. These become useless so quickly that you'll regret taking them by level 2.

-Magic is incredibly useful. Teleport will eliminate annoying travel, catrip will unlock most doors, harm will kill almost everything, and charm will let you talk to almost anyone in a positive matter. Don't spam it at the beginning of the game though, you'll run out of fatigue, and fall over.

Keep in mind that magically unlocking something will make a noise, and anyone nearby will hear it. This means if you're trying to rob someone or break into someplace, it will be VERY difficult to do without getting caught. Lockpicking, on the other hand, is almost entirely silent, and you can enter Prowl mode (even if you have no points in it) well enough to avoid being caught by sleeping people.

-Even if you're going tech, get teleport. It is so damned useful.

By this same logic, as a tech don't be afraid to use magic scrolls. Most useful are scrolls of Exiting and Divine Magic. Other scrolls to hang on to include Conjure Spirit, Shrink, Dominate Will and any summons you might find. Techs will still be able to cast them, for some reason.

-Get Sod Meadmug from the first town. He's one of the few characters that will stay at your side no matter what you do, and he's great for killing things early game.

You need at least a 9 Charisma to get Sogg to join.

-Make sure you have lots of ammo before going anywhere if you're using a gun. I mean lots, like multiple stacks, and stuff to make more if needed.

Guns are awesome, but only at high levels. I usually don't even bother putting points into Firearms/Perception/Gun Smithy until at least level 25 or so. Before that, guns are just heavy and bullets are expensive and you can't shoot worth poo poo. Just suck it up and go melee for the first half of the game.

-If you find an empty building, with a box in it, feel free to put your stuff in it, it will never go away.

There's a warehouse in Tarant (just E of the Docks subway station) with a halfling outside. Help him clear out the rats in the warehouse, and you can use any of the interior containers for storage. Handy because it's right next to a subway station and the docks (for when you get your own ship).

VarangianSam posted:

I've just started Planescape: Torment and I'm really enjoying it. Is there anything important that I need to know, or is it a sort of learn-as-you-go experience?

Find the Bronze Sphere in Pharod's undeground caverns and NEVER LET IT GO. It won't be useful until the very end of the game, when it's worth 2 million in XP. You'll also want to hang onto the Decanter of Endless Water (although that comes into play much sooner). Buy the Modron Cube from Vrischika's shop in the Clerk's Ward and fiddle with it until you figure out how it works. You may want to wait until you're a decently high-level to enter it, though, since the enemies can be very tough. (Unless you're cheesy and you just run past them).

And as everyone else has said, for the optimal game experience, you need to play as a mage with high Wisdom, high Intelligence, and high Charisma.

And as a general rule of thumb, and this works on both a figurative and literal level, in PST Friends is a more useful spell than Magic Missile.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 17, 2008

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Jagged Alliance 2

- If you hire Mercs from AIM for the longest possible chunks when you get them (2 wks, IIRC) they do not have the option of saying no when you wish to extend their contracts.

This is not quite true. If you extend the contract before it gets into the last day or two, they should never say no.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

blackguy32 posted:

2) Ditch the knife the first chance you get. The only game it is useful in is Code Veronica where you can get through a large portion of the game using only it.

I killed Alice or whatever her name using that.There was no ammo anywhere and you couldn't head backwards because some door was locked.

I'm surprised I managed to kill her too. Whenever you hit her,her blood would turn to fire on the ground;man,I got lucky.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm getting a PS3 for X-mas and am getting it with two games - so, what do I need to know for Valkyria Chronicles and/or Little Big Planet? Though I imagine the thread is applicable for the former more than the latter!

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!

SiKboy posted:

I'm no expert (I played about half the game then gave up), but I do remember that there is one simulator disk that it is possible to miss, as its in a place you cannot go back to. I think (I'm far from 100% sure on this) that its the Deadpool simulator disk, and that its in Asgard I think.

Fake edit: I just checked, there are 2 disks you can miss and then not be able to get back to: Deadpools in Asgard and Mysterios in Murderworld.

And for anyone wanting to break the game in half, use Mr. Fantastic. Max his Fantastic Fist and Rubberband Recoil skills. There are many ways to abuse the skills in this game, but nothing that comes close to the sheer, unbridled wrath of Mr. Fantastic. You can defeat bosses in one or two hits.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I killed Alice or whatever her name using that.There was no ammo anywhere and you couldn't head backwards because some door was locked.

I'm surprised I managed to kill her too. Whenever you hit her,her blood would turn to fire on the ground;man,I got lucky.

You got really lucky, because its a instant kill if she grabs you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jagtpanther posted:

I'm getting a PS3 for X-mas and am getting it with two games - so, what do I need to know for Valkyria Chronicles and/or Little Big Planet? Though I imagine the thread is applicable for the former more than the latter!

For Valkyria Chronicles

1)Try to get your soldiers to level 11 as soon as possible, since you get elite status. Level up your scouts first so they get rifle grenades, then do your shocktroopers and then your snipers.

2)Abusing orders makes some sections of the game piss easy.

3)Always take Rosie, Largo, and Alicia since they give you extra CP to use.

4)Take as few members into a mission as possible. Don't bring in additional units til you capture a field camp. You don't want to bring in a Sniper at the beginning of a mission and find that he is lagging behind everyone else due to their low AP.

5)Chapter 7 will test you, but its not that difficult. Make sure that you keep your units away from the upper right corner of the map (I think that's it)

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006

soapboxcritic posted:

So I just finished Baldur's Gate 2 and I'm thinking of getting Neverwinter Nights and playing the two expansions as everyone says they are great but I was wondering if it would be better to just jump straight to Neverwinter Nights 2? Is one better than the other? Having just played BG2 I could care less about graphics so that isn't a huge issue, but gameplay wise and for the story should I play the 2 NWN expansions as everyone says? Or go straight to NWN2? Or would it be smart to play the NWN original content and continue on to NWN2 there? Is there any story overlap?

I liked both games, and despite the sentiment of other posters, I kinda liked the original NWN1 campaign. There is no apparent story overlap between NWN 1 and 2, and the story overlap among the NWN1 expansions is minimal enough to be continuous with the same character.

If you're interested in powergaming NWN1, here are some tips.
*You can bank your Skill Points as you level up in order to avoid cross-class penalties. This is mostly applicable to multiclassing. For instance, if you're going Fighter/Rogue, you can bank your SP to dump into Tumble (always in multiples of 5) when you take a Rogue level for a big AC boos. This also applies to Spellcraft for magic saves bonuses.
*Healing Kits are kind of a big deal. They can get rid of poison/disease effects with a moderate investment in Heal skill. Healing potions are great, but there's really no substitute for a Healing Kit.
*You only need one level of Monk to get the sick Wisdom-to-AC bonus for Druid/Shifter classes. You can accomplish this with a Lawful Neutral character. However, doing this makes the game stupid easy.
*Low levels can be pretty tough for Wizards and Sorcerers. Make good use of a powerful familiar like the Panther, and also use your most powerful Monster Summoning spell available. Also, get a crossbow for tagging monsters.
*Master the henchman AI as soon as possible.
*When fighting powerful spellcaster bosses, Improved Knockdown (for melee types), Spell Mantle (for wizards) are your best friends.
*Devistating Critical builds, while very powerful and cheesy, are somewhat overrated. You can do better with well-tuned IK/SA fighters, battle bards, or Charisma paladins.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

McGravin posted:

From earlier in the thread: X-Com UFO Defense

This is a filthy lie. Laser weapons might be better than Rifles, but relatively speaking they are completely useless. By the time you're done researching them and have a batch manufactured, you should be almost done researching Plasma Cannons.

Plasma Cannons are the best weapons in the game. They have stats (accuracy and TU cost) comparable to or better than the Rifle, but they deal damage equivalent to a Heavy Laser. Ammunition for Plasma Cannons is pretty ubiquitous, too. Within a couple months of the start of the game, you should have all your soldiers carrying Plasma Cannons all of the time.
I disagree. For the first couple months, even if you sick all your scientists on researching the Plasma Cannon, you won't have enough scientists to reach a breakthrough anytime quickly. On the other hand, once you have laser weapons researched, your otherwise useless engineers can be put to work manufacturing Laser Pistols to sell for cash.

Do not research past laser rifle, though--the heavy laser is useless.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

publicblast posted:

I disagree. For the first couple months, even if you sick all your scientists on researching the Plasma Cannon, you won't have enough scientists to reach a breakthrough anytime quickly. On the other hand, once you have laser weapons researched, your otherwise useless engineers can be put to work manufacturing Laser Pistols to sell for cash.

Do not research past laser rifle, though--the heavy laser is useless.

If I recall correctly, the heavy laser has the best sellprice/buildprice in the game, so you can mass produce heavy lasers to sell to the market for a massive, no-resource input profit. In every game I jump to get heavy lasers so I can mass produce them for nearly infinite money.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Palleon posted:

If I recall correctly, the heavy laser has the best sellprice/buildprice in the game, so you can mass produce heavy lasers to sell to the market for a massive, no-resource input profit. In every game I jump to get heavy lasers so I can mass produce them for nearly infinite money.

You're probably thinking of the Laser Cannon, makes about twice as much profit per month based on this guy's numbers (section 5.4):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/199362/1825

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

You're probably thinking of the Laser Cannon, makes about twice as much profit per month based on this guy's numbers (section 5.4):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/199362/1825

I think you are right, in any case, heavy laser is a prerequisite, and while lasers suck as a weapon, they do have a purpose in the game.

Virtual Surreality
Aug 24, 2005

by Peatpot
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

Yes, you should play these in order. Buy the NWN1 Platinum box. Play at least the Prologue and first chapter of the OC, if only for the tutorial and as a means to judge the other expansions and user mods against.

It's two expansions, Shadows of Undrentide and Hoards of the Underdark continue the same PC's storyline. Most people love HotU.

Although a good game overall, NWN2 has some major flaws. The engine is kinda clunky, and it's OC has some forced characters. You will loving despise at least one of those characters(it's different for everyone). With only a few rare exceptions, the OC is also incredibly easy.

The first expansion for NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer is already considered one of the best RPGs of all time, despite it's weak ending. The NPC dialogs are great, and their personal stories are actually relevant to the plot.

Last month we got the second expansion: Storm of Zehir. Most people consider it to be a huge letdown. :( You might like it, but it's very different than any other game in the NWN franchises.

You want some actual advice? On your first playthrough, always play as a warrior class(Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin or Ranger) or Cleric. They can take on pretty much any challenge without you knowing what lies ahead. It's easy for spellcasters and rogues to get in over their heads very quickly, and they should always be reserved for a time when you know your way around the engine(and the specific campaign) a little bit better.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Cindare posted:

I liked both games, and despite the sentiment of other posters, I kinda liked the original NWN1 campaign. There is no apparent story overlap between NWN 1 and 2, and the story overlap among the NWN1 expansions is minimal enough to be continuous with the same character.

Virtual Surreality posted:

It's two expansions, Shadows of Undrentide and Hoards of the Underdark continue the same PC's storyline. Most people love HotU.

You are both wrong SoU take place at the same time as the OC.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shadows_of_Undrentide

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Aratoeldar posted:

You are both wrong SoU take place at the same time as the OC.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shadows_of_Undrentide

The first poster likely meant that you can just play with the same character from the OC in the expansions (which is kinda of overpowered for SoU). The second poster was right, he just phrased it in an awkward way.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jagtpanther posted:

For LittleBigPlanet:

- Use the tutorials if you're into level creation
- Download some of the online levels like the game of Life or Tetris
- After looking at said levels, be careful that when your head explodes you do not make a mess

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Old Swerdlow posted:

Is there anything that I should know before I dive into FF X?

The sphere grid sure looks intimidating.

Don't listen to what people say about Khimari. Pick whoever you want, because by part of the way through the game, you can move them over to another part of the grid and build their stats using someone elses part of the grid (mainly Tidus).

Dont use Yuna. Summons are a waste of time and mana.

Once you get it, abuse Quick Strike.

Catch all of the monsters in the cave south of the arena. You can use him to abuse the AP system.

Getting Tidus' final weapon is not difficult. Get in front of the chocobo racer and try to nab as many balloons as you can, but dont go out of your way. Its more important to avoid the birds than to grab balloons.

CordlessPen posted:

Oh, and right now I'm not spending a single cent before I get all the costumes for my favorite character (Storm) so I can pump all of it into the one I think is the best. Is this smart?

Is there anything else that could be helpful?

There are no bad characters. If anyone tells you different, they are a liar. Every character has a go to power that can wipe the floor with anything. Here are some good combos if you are playing with friends:

Deadpools Battle Cry + Iron Man's Nano Assault. Deadpools team buff adds a flat boost to damage (up to something like +30 or something like per hit) and Iron Man's Nano Assault does a lot of attacks for a small amount of damage. Now, instead of 7 damage 14 times, its 37 damage 14 teams.

Storms Whirlwind + Thors Northern Winds. Fighting lots of trash? This is like having an Xtreme attack go off almost all the time.

Mister Fantastics Fantastic Fists + Nothing, its just an awesome buff for himself. At high levels, its lasts a LONG time and does a LOT of damage.

You can always go back to any mission if you missed anything. Don't think you have to get everything in the first go round.

Use costumes that boost your play style. If are going to play Storm as a caster type (which you should, her strike is horrible), don't use her Astonishing costume. Static Charge goes off when you are hit, which you shouldnt ever be.
Also, always keep Whirlwind up. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fare Thee Well posted:

Getting Tidus' final weapon is not difficult. Get in front of the chocobo racer and try to nab as many balloons as you can, but dont go out of your way. Its more important to avoid the birds than to grab balloons.

Wear boxing gloves while doing the chocobo race. This will make it more difficult but will save your hands when you go into the inevitable berserk rage.

It's tough but possible. Don't let the chocobo race ruin your day though.