Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
The two Drum & Bass tracks are the best. Cookie Bouquets is interesting but I don't think Dormir suits breakcore somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Sam Handwich posted:

http://www.konami.jp/bemani/bm2dx/gs/15djt/newsong/index.html

DJ TROOPERS CS previews are up, and the game releases in about a week

L.E.D vs Tomosuke

:aaa: If the full song is anything like the sample, it wins as my favorite track of the style.
Tomochin is so talented :sweatdrop:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

You're the DJ of this Gig!

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Xythar posted:

The two Drum & Bass tracks are the best. Cookie Bouquets is interesting but I don't think Dormir suits breakcore somehow.

Despite L.E.D just kind of taking the DnB line from STEEL NEEDLE, I think it sounds really good - weird, but good.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

So how many more days till this is out?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I just put in a preorder with Play Asia and they've got the release date as the 18th. I've been getting my stuff from them pretty quickly so hopefully I'll have mine by Christmas.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
If anyone is interested, there's a vid of the Troopers Kaiden course up on nicovideo.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5570406

All the charts this time are Another + or whatever you want to call them. Crazy.

Edit: Jesus the slowdown on Me- uh Icarus

Fishious fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 16, 2008

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oh man like half the songs have the new unnamed "harder than Another" difficulty now and some of them are utterly ridiculous beyond a point that I thought IIDX was capable of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4HW02fHefo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHaVS8yye50

:gonk:

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Just as I thought that I might be able to pass most of the 12s in Troopers. A couple of those black ones have been graded 11s though, I wonder if they're bearable.

Looks like it's time for the grading scale to be re-adjusted again.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Fishious posted:

Just as I thought that I might be able to pass most of the 12s in Troopers. A couple of those black ones have been graded 11s though, I wonder if they're bearable.

Looks like it's time for the grading scale to be re-adjusted again.
Flashing 12!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Just rate every song on a gradient in a huge list, and swap them around depending on how players do with the online system!

Or just crush the whole rating system down to "easy" and "hard".

Pyroblaze
Oct 25, 2004

Diatom.

Xythar posted:

Oh man like half the songs have the new unnamed "harder than Another" difficulty now and some of them are utterly ridiculous beyond a point that I thought IIDX was capable of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4HW02fHefo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHaVS8yye50

:gonk:

Before 20th Style IIDX is just going to be a solid wall of notes on every difficulty setting.

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!!
Man, Troopers is hard. Both me and SeedyV got our asses kicked by 8th dan :(

I've cleared 8th dan on every other style too.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The Black Another (Kuro? A+? Has there been any solidification as to what nomenclature to use?) for Sweetest Savage is pretty fun!

Pyroblaze
Oct 25, 2004

Diatom.

an rear end posted:

My friend is having the same problem with the Dans. He can't beat 6th dan even though he could on every other style.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

an rear end posted:

Hey I woulda probably passed it had I not completely whiffed on The Wall™

....okay I can't say that with a straight face.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
What's the difference between the platinum edition and fp7 controllers on the djdao site? http://www.bemaniasc.com/english/product.html

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
The Platinum edition is identical to arcade spaces, as far as size and spacing goes. the FP-7's turntable is a bit smaller.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I really need to get one of those DJ dao controllers. The shipping is ridiculous though, it's pretty much like paying for the controller with a wad of bills, then throwing another wad of bills of equal size into a furnace as a sacrifice to DJ Taka.

I'm a bit out of the know on this kind of thing, having been focusing on popn music for a couple of years now. Is there a cheap alternative out there that won't make me feel like i'm burning cash to buy it? My KOC of a zillion years is so worn that every key has a deep finger indentation, and some of the grey plastic thingies under the buttons are starting to tear.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 18, 2008

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Try a USKOC maybe? Or do a simple mod to your existing KOC and transplant a USKOC's keys into it so you can use your original KOC's turntable?

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

I really need to get one of those DJ dao controllers. The shipping is ridiculous though, it's pretty much like paying for the controller with a wad of bills, then throwing another wad of bills of equal size into a furnace as a sacrifice to DJ Taka.

I'm a bit out of the know on this kind of thing, having been focusing on popn music for a couple of years now. Is there a cheap alternative out there that won't make me feel like i'm burning cash to buy it? My KOC of a zillion years is so worn that every key has a deep finger indentation, and some of the grey plastic thingies under the buttons are starting to tear.

I have two USKOCs, and after trying the Japanese ones, they are a definite improvement. It's worth the effort to track one down if you're not in the mood to sink a couple hundred bucks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Definitely look for a USKOC. I'd recommend calling all Gamestops within, say, a 30 mile radius replay smooooch state of the art mental breakdown anisakis oratio to see if they have any leftover beatmania bundles. The last one I bought was $30; I opened the box and sold the game right back to them for $8 -- so, $22 for a USKOC is a much better deal than $400(?) for a DJ Dao.

Dao's are supposedly really good controllers. I owned a homemade controller with Sanwa keys for a short while, and didn't feel like the additional cost was worth the difference in gameplay. Unless you're a seriously hardcore arcade player who wants the exact arcade experience at home for the sake of practicing the hardest songs, you're better off saving your money.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

enojy posted:

Unless you're a seriously hardcore arcade player who wants the exact arcade experience at home for the sake of practicing the hardest songs, you're better off saving your money.

Really? Because I was looking into sinking a couple thousand into building a very nice IIDX setup: Nice big CRT wit S-Video, surround sound system, Japanese PS2 so I can stop fumbling with swap discs, etc. I figured a nice arcade-like controller would top that off perfectly.

But I haven't had the opportunity to play in an arcade, and considering my location I don't think I will in the near future. If the difference really isn't that appreciable I guess I can cut the DJ Dao controllers from my budget.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
If you spend a lot of time playing the same game it's definitely worth it. The difference between a KOC and the arcade is pretty huge so I guess I disagree with enjoy on this issue! Especially if you're putting so much money into your setup, the controller is probably the most important part so don't skimp out on it.

I only own a jKOC and usKOC and they both have their ups and downs. J feels and sounds better but get stuck if you don't clean the keys once in a while.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zo posted:

If you spend a lot of time playing the same game it's definitely worth it. The difference between a KOC and the arcade is pretty huge so I guess I disagree with enjoy on this issue! Especially if you're putting so much money into your setup, the controller is probably the most important part so don't skimp out on it.

I only own a jKOC and usKOC and they both have their ups and downs. J feels and sounds better but get stuck if you don't clean the keys once in a while.

I agree with your comparison of JKOC and USKOC -- the keys sound terrible -- but I remedy this by either playing with really loud volume or with headphones.

I also agree that arcade vs. home play with a USKOC or JKOC is vastly different, but it's moreso the whole package. In actuality, it requires a whole lot of research to properly emulate the arcade experience, and just an ASC won't cut it.

If you have a couple grand you ARE willing to blow on something so trivial*, I suppose it would be worth it to "complete the look" and go for an ASC. Just make sure you get all of your measurements as exact as possible when it comes to screen position, etc etc.

*I used to be a pretty hardcore bemani fan, but let's face it -- it's just a video game, and honestly isn't a sound investment.

Oh! I almost forgot -- I'd highly recommend a 2.1 setup as opposed to a surround system. All IIDX releases for PS2 to date are in 2.1 stereo. Playing on my optical 5.1 setup just confuses me, as the two channels are doubled to the rear speakers, and I get a disorienting echo effect depending on where I'm sitting. My scores are infinitely higher when playing with great headphones in 2-channel stereo.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 18, 2008

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

enojy posted:

Definitely look for a USKOC. I'd recommend calling all Gamestops within, say, a 30 mile radius replay smooooch state of the art mental breakdown anisakis oratio to see if they have any leftover beatmania bundles. The last one I bought was $30; I opened the box and sold the game right back to them for $8 -- so, $22 for a USKOC is a much better deal than $400(?) for a DJ Dao.

I'm thinking of doing this really soon just to gently caress around with because I'm not that good. My question is, are USKOCs ok to use with parallel port adapters on PCs? If I remember correctly they are not ok for USB adapters even with overclocked ports... I forget though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

enojy posted:

Oh! I almost forgot -- I'd highly recommend a 2.1 setup as opposed to a surround system. All IIDX releases for PS2 to date are in 2.1 stereo. Playing on my optical 5.1 setup just confuses me, as the two channels are doubled to the rear speakers, and I get a disorienting echo effect depending on where I'm sitting. My scores are infinitely higher when playing with great headphones in 2-channel stereo.

I totally, totally, totally agree. I normally play on my surround system, but whenever possible I bring home my semi-good headphones [sony mdr-v500s for those who care] and the experience is considerably better. IIDX in surround - weird, IIDX with a good pair of headphones - amazing.

e. About USB adapters - I'm using a decent enough USB adapter (works great with my pop'n ASC and guitar hero controllers) but my USKOC constantly registers double-notes with the turntable.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

hammeredspace posted:

Really? Because I was looking into sinking a couple thousand into building a very nice IIDX setup: Nice big CRT wit S-Video, surround sound system, Japanese PS2 so I can stop fumbling with swap discs, etc. I figured a nice arcade-like controller would top that off perfectly.

According to a guy who commented on one of my Youtube videos, you should consider switching that S-Video setup for component cables so you can get better sound quality. Otherwise you can't hear all the piano.

:v:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Nothing wrong with the JKOC i've been using, it's just starting to wear down. I've probably played a 5 digit number of songs on the thing from 3rd style through Happy Sky (stopped playing right as distorted CS came out). I don't think a UKOC would be an improvement. Also, the UKOCs don't fully work with usb adaptors, and don't work at all with parallel. Is there any ASC option that ends with an under 200 price tag?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

I'm thinking of doing this really soon just to gently caress around with because I'm not that good. My question is, are USKOCs ok to use with parallel port adapters on PCs? If I remember correctly they are not ok for USB adapters even with overclocked ports... I forget though.

radioshack's USB 26-729 works perfectly with negligible lag; seek this out (it's discontinued and may require some searching via phone between stores.) i tried two parallel port adapters and neither worked (one from hong kong and one homemade.) a friend who is hip to electrical work claims the USKOC's turntable is to blame and would require a separate transistor to be soldered into the wiring in order for the USKOC to work with a parallel adapter (i.e. not worth the time and effort unless this sounds like an easy 5-minute job to you.)

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there any ASC option that ends with an under 200 price tag?

nope. you can get a Desktop Arcade ASC for just over $200 (if they're still being made that is... I don't follow this stuff anymore.) not worth the price tag at all. Konami brand or DJ Dao is the only way to go.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 19, 2008

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

enojy posted:

radioshack's USB 26-729 works perfectly with negligible lag; seek this out (it's discontinued and may require some searching via phone between stores.) i tried two parallel port adapters and neither worked (one from hong kong and one homemade.) a friend who is hip to electrical work claims the USKOC's turntable is to blame and would require a separate transistor to be soldered into the wiring in order for the USKOC to work with a parallel adapter (i.e. not worth the time and effort unless this sounds like an easy 5-minute job to you.)

nope. you can get a Desktop Arcade ASC for just over $200 (if they're still being made that is... I don't follow this stuff anymore.) not worth the price tag at all. Konami brand or DJ Dao is the only way to go.
Gotcha, so much for that idea! Thanks though haha

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

enojy posted:

I think I found a dao fp7 for 200 or less from someone local. Gotta try it out and see if I like it.

I have numerous usb and parallel adapters. It breaks down like this: None of them work very well with USKOCs due to technical problems, such as the one you mentioned. Most usb ones will work good with anything else, though i've had some weird problems in vista with short circuits on EVERY usb one ive tried; keys will miss presses in rapid succession or when many are pressed at once. I can't explain it at all, so if anyone knows what is going on there, info would be appreciated.

Parallel will also not work in vista unless you have a driver that is specifically designed to do so. Every Parallel adapter i've tried makes use of freeware drivers like psx pad pro, and none of those have been updated in the last few years.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I haven't had much of a problem with my US KOC on my Super Joy Box 3 Pro. It misfires occasionally but I'd say it works 95% of the time. (mind you I haven't really played it on ridiculous scratch-heavy songs - only got it recently)

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

hammeredspace posted:

But I haven't had the opportunity to play in an arcade, and considering my location I don't think I will in the near future. If the difference really isn't that appreciable I guess I can cut the DJ Dao controllers from my budget.
You might want to try a CRT with component over S-video. After playing IIDX on my HD CRT through component for so long, S-video looks so dull to me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DanAdamKOF posted:

You might want to try a CRT with component over S-video. After playing IIDX on my HD CRT through component for so long, S-video looks so dull to me.

Here here. Component is gorgeous and looked great even on my cheapass 27" CRT.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

To add to the display discussion, I'm really impressed with the newer styles' option to adjust display timing. This is the first style I've played since upgrading to an LCD HDTV, and I was pretty worried that my 6-month hiatus from the game would only continue after seeing how terrible the timing had become. Amazingly, the timing adjustment makes it feel like I'm playing on my old wonderful 20" toshiba CRT again :-) Not an exact match, but closer than any arcade machine I've ever played on with a non-Konami monitor.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I just posted this over at VJA but I thought it might help here too - instructions on unlocking everything in DJ Troopers. Thanks to all our IIDX detectives over at VJA for figuring this stuff out in the first place!

1) Play standard mode, pick whatever. On your extra stage, go to the Military Splash and AA + hard clear all three songs there (any difficulty is fine). You'll need to do one each game of course. When you do the third one you will play Troopers, so clear that.
2) Go to Military Splash again and four new songs will open up (Steel Needle et al). Also AA + hard clear these on any difficulty. While doing this, other songs will unlock. You'll know when it happens - play them then continue AA + hard clearing the Military Splash songs. When you get the last one you'll play Mendes, I'm not sure if that actually is necessary to do though.
3) Play 2-kyu and 2-dan to unlock SWITCH and Rise'n Beauty. By this point you should have gotten these, the 3 unlocks so far from Military Splash, as well as the unlocks from playing 1, 3 and 5 games in arcade mode, so 8 all up. 3 left.
4) Clear all the Supernova 2 songs (Freeway Shuffle, Flowers, Paranoia Hades, Saturn, switch, Shades of Grey and Trip Machine Phoenix) on any difficulty. I dunno if they all have to be on the same difficulty or not, I cleared them all on Normal to be sure. Now play another Standard mode game and enter the Military Splash to unlock Pluto.
5) Get a 573 combo (e.g. full combo Mendes normal), border bonus and A/A/AAA+0 on any song (obviously not all at the same time). I just used quick master on Normal for the latter two, it seemed easiest. Go back to the Military Splash in standard mode to unlock Vox Up, which will loving kick your rear end.
6) Go into free mode and push select on a series of songs so that the first letters of their names spell "FOREVER" to unlock The Last Striker.

That's it!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

So is fffff in this game or wut???

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

enojy posted:

So is fffff in this game or wut???

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I am enjoying the crap out of this game. Troopers was a really good version to begin with, but these unlocks and CS exclusives make it even better. Also, the new CD that came out with the game is great too.