Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Arkady posted:

Thanks for the help, guys.
I set the low filter about 4/5 of the way towards Max, and haven't had a drop off since. I guess it helped/solved the problem.

Does this mean that the sub is faulty? If it supposed to support the 20Hz range, why does it fail when it gets there?

What do you mean drop off?? do you mean shutting down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkady
Jun 18, 2004

Off to work!

Omegaslast posted:

What do you mean drop off?? do you mean shutting down?

Yes. It stopped shutting off the sound during high loads.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Anyone have feelings on the PS3 as an SACD player? I've read the newer models don't play the SACDs multichannel layer. Any thoughtst?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know a good place to buy home theatre systems in Canada? Everyone seems to recommend systems by Onkyo, but most of the places people link to won't ship here. Websites are fine too.

Alternately, is anything sold at somewhere like BestBuy actually good? I can go up to $500-$600 or so, and it would mainly be for PS3/360 games and Bluray movies.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 13, 2008

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=onkyo

NCIX sells a couple Onkyo HTiB's. Don't know if these particular sets are any good, or how their prices are compared to other places. They specialize in computer stuff, and their prices are generally good for that.

Otherwise check http://www.onkyo.ca/locator.cfm for dealers near you. Be sure to check prices at retail stores compared what you can find online.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a receiver, I've got some speakers. What I don't have is a subwoofer. I'm not against a Fluance, but I'm really looking for something less expensive. Somewhere below $150. Any recommendations?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I've got a receiver, I've got some speakers. What I don't have is a subwoofer. I'm not against a Fluance, but I'm really looking for something less expensive. Somewhere below $150. Any recommendations?

If you want a basic cheap 8" sub, energy has a decent lower end one.
8 $90
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENESW8
10 $150
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001205UQ6/interactiveda8726-20

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

If you want a basic cheap 8" sub, energy has a decent lower end one.
8 $90
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENESW8
10 $150
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001205UQ6/interactiveda8726-20

Is it better to get a shittier 12" sub or a better 8" sub?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
It's better to not get a $150 sub. Save up a little bit more and get the BIC PA-120. It's actually not crap.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Pibborando San posted:

It's better to not get a $150 sub. Save up a little bit more and get the BIC PA-120. It's actually not crap.

The BIC VK-12 is the better version of it. I got it recently and it's really nice.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pibborando San posted:

Really? The power cable built-in like that? That description of it and the look of it looks kinda janky, man.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Sniep posted:

Really? The power cable built-in like that? That description of it and the look of it looks kinda janky, man.

My old M&K had the power cable built in and it was certainly not "janky".

KingKapalone posted:

The BIC VK-12 is the better version of it. I got it recently and it's really nice.

Yeah it is but it's also more expensive.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Pibborando San posted:

have you read any reviews of the PA-120?? doesnt seem like anyone has actually picked the thing up yet... trying to recommend a sub to my cousin and i cant decide if the PA-120 would be enough for him (as opposed to vk12)

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is it better to get a shittier 12" sub or a better 8" sub?

If you have a small room and like music a good 8" sub will beat out a 12" sub. Always go with quality over size. A good 8 will move more air than a lovely 12 too.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

have you read any reviews of the PA-120?? doesnt seem like anyone has actually picked the thing up yet... trying to recommend a sub to my cousin and i cant decide if the PA-120 would be enough for him (as opposed to vk12)

Honestly I was just going off of the praise for the H-100. Haven't heard any testimonials for the PA-120 either. I'd feel more comfortable recommending the H-100, but then you're getting closer to $300. For that price, seems like the VK-12 is the one to get.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just bought an Onkyo HTiB at Circuit City. The salesman swore up and down on it even over the more expensive Sony systems, etc.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...CustomerRatings

Before my 30 day return runs out - was this a good buy? Note: I can't actually open it until Christmas and therefore am unable to test it out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Its not bad, but if you have a budget of like $500 there is better.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

You should be happy with the Onkyo. They're among the better HTiB's. I feel Sony's stuff is a little overpriced for the performance. And according to the CC website, you have until the end of January for Christmas returns.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks very much. To be honest I had never heard of Onkyo, but also I had never researched home theater equipment outside of televisions.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Pibborando San posted:

Honestly I was just going off of the praise for the H-100. Haven't heard any testimonials for the PA-120 either. I'd feel more comfortable recommending the H-100, but then you're getting closer to $300. For that price, seems like the VK-12 is the one to get.

From what I read when looking at these, the VK-12 is the essentially the H-100 version 2.0. The PA-120 is made by a separate division of the same company or something complicated like that. For the VK-12s on eBay I think you can contact the seller since they're all from one guy and give him a best offer also.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Symon Lymon posted:

I just bought an Onkyo HTiB at Circuit City. The salesman swore up and down on it even over the more expensive Sony systems, etc.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...CustomerRatings

Before my 30 day return runs out - was this a good buy? Note: I can't actually open it until Christmas and therefore am unable to test it out.

Its a better buy. Sony audio is crap. Period.

Unless its "ES" series then its seriously overpriced.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Its a better buy. Sony audio is crap. Period.

Unless its "ES" series then its seriously overpriced.

I just found out that this has zero HDMI inputs on it. I assumed it would be pretty standard by now.. will I still be alright with digital optical?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Yes. You'll just have to run your audio to the receiver. I think they only thing you'll miss out on is TrueHD (lossless audio) on Blu-Ray discs. On that system you'd never hear the difference.

Most receivers with HDMI inputs are $300 all by themselves, so you can't expect that at your price range for a whole system. Digital optical or digital coax (single RCA cable) will be fine for your usage.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Aphrodite posted:

Does anyone know a good place to buy home theatre systems in Canada? Everyone seems to recommend systems by Onkyo, but most of the places people link to won't ship here. Websites are fine too.

Alternately, is anything sold at somewhere like BestBuy actually good? I can go up to $500-$600 or so, and it would mainly be for PS3/360 games and Bluray movies.

I notice London Drugs has the Onkyo TX-SR506 on sale for $299 atm.

Another option, if you live close to the border, is to order from the states and make use of a shipping drop off facility close to your area. In vancouver here we can use guys down in Point Roberts Washington, which is only a 30 min drive from the city. They charge $3-6 to hold your parcel.

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome
Hey, I am working out a deal with my local school district to (hopefully) film their band concerts and sell DVDs of them. I did it for my highschool, but I used really outdated (vhs) equipment. I know what camera I want to purchase, but I am not sure about the microphone.

The camera will be places near the back of the auditorium. I don't want the kids to sound like crap because then nobody will buy my DVDs. I am considering buying a low-end shotgun mic (http://www.dvcreators.net/rode-videomic/) but I don't know if that is actually what I am looking for. I want the mic to pick up everything that's on stage and some audience ambiance.

Will a shotgun mic be too directional for what I want? If so, what should I be looking for? (I'm not sure if this actually deserves a thread but I figured I could play it safe in here.)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Does anyone here have an opinion on 7.1 sound? I have some wire left over, and i'm contemplating hooking up two of my older AR-17 bookshelf speakers from several years ago as back left and right. The setup I have is posted on the previous page. I am worried that the ARs are way too low in quality when compared to the rest of the system to sound good, or they might take too much juice for my receiver to handle with full-sized floor standing fronts and surrounds.

I also have two Blueroom Minipods laying around that I can either use as the backs or a second zone, but those are rated 4ohms, i'm pretty sure using those as backs or even surrounds in a 7.1 is a bad idea.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

BabyRyoga posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on 7.1 sound? I have some wire left over, and i'm contemplating hooking up two of my older AR-17 bookshelf speakers from several years ago as back left and right. The setup I have is posted on the previous page. I am worried that the ARs are way too low in quality when compared to the rest of the system to sound good, or they might take too much juice for my receiver to handle with full-sized floor standing fronts and surrounds.

I also have two Blueroom Minipods laying around that I can either use as the backs or a second zone, but those are rated 4ohms, i'm pretty sure using those as backs or even surrounds in a 7.1 is a bad idea.

I've got 7.1 because I was installing in-ceiling surrounds and I wanted to just do the job all at once, but it's pretty much overkill. I've only got one blu-ray that has discrete 7.1 tracks (Pan's Labyrinth), and while it does sound great, I don't know that it adds anything significant over 5.1. The matrixed 7.1 is pretty nice (the Superman Returns trailer in particular is fantastic), but it's not worth investing TOO much effort, imho.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I have a room roughly 25'x30' with an 8' ceiling on one side that vaults up to 16' on the other side, now the question. Would a bose speaker system be worth the money or would it be trendy garbage? I'm trying to get away with as little speaker showing as possible.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Bose is always garbage. Get inwalls if you don't want speaker boxes in your room.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Pibborando San posted:

Bose is always garbage. Get inwalls if you don't want speaker boxes in your room.

Bose's marketing department is pretty good, though.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pim01 posted:

Bose's marketing department is pretty good, though.

" No highs, no lows? It's gotta be Bose™ "

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So right now I don't have the money for a proper audio system to go along with my TV. I do have a 10 year Denon mini system with Mission speakers. Before I run out and get a mini to aux cable to connect from my tv's headphone port to the aux port of my system, will even this crappy connection to my mini system most likely still generally produce a better sound than the tv's internal speakers? Right now I have a crappy Magnavox LCD TV.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

gret posted:

So right now I don't have the money for a proper audio system to go along with my TV. I do have a 10 year Denon mini system with Mission speakers. Before I run out and get a mini to aux cable to connect from my tv's headphone port to the aux port of my system, will even this crappy connection to my mini system most likely still generally produce a better sound than the tv's internal speakers? Right now I have a crappy Magnavox LCD TV.

I don't see how a 1/8" phone to dual RCA cable is 'crappy' -- That's a pretty standard cable, if that is what you are talking about. It will work just fine.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Sniep posted:

I don't see how a 1/8" phone to dual RCA cable is 'crappy' -- That's a pretty standard cable, if that is what you are talking about. It will work just fine.

Most TVs have analog out (dual RCA) on the back, though. If you can use that it saves the audio from going through the lovely headphone amp on the TV (and has some other resistance/current-draw related plusses that only pro audio people would care about).

Sniep posted:

" No highs, no lows? It's gotta be Bose™ "

The sad thing is that they could probably use that in ads and still sell to their target audience :(.

Mach Won
Jun 17, 2004

Is UNC playing? My post is either whining about (1) ref favoritism, (2) unfair recruiting/player caliber, (3) opposing team sucking or (4) the inevitable UNC win. The day you see me giving UNC credit for anything is the day someone hacked my account.

Roy era: 1-16 :qq: RIVALS!!!!!
Does anyone have any advice on some HD radios for a house? I'm looking at a small unit for Christmas and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these.

I know HD radio gets a lot of poo poo, but there seems to be an abundance of HD stations where I live, so I figure this would be a good idea.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sniep posted:

Cool. Thanks. I just tried it now and it definitely sounds much better than my TV's internal speakers.

ScottABoy
Mar 15, 2004
I AM A LIAR
I'm having an issue with my sound system that I've been wracking my head trying to fix.

Anyway, whats happening is that when I'm listening to music sometimes the volume will suddenly be much louder than it should be (but only for a split second). It seems to only happen when it goes from a quiet bit in a song to a loud bit. I've tried Googling for answers but it just brings up a bunch of vague, non-related results. :(

This issue seems to happen no matter what software I'm using which is why I'm inclined to think it's maybe a setting on my receiver.

I have a Sony STR-DE597 receiver, pair of Tannoy M3 Floorstanders and a Mordaunt Short Subwoofer currently set up. I'm still pretty new to the wonderful world of Hi-Fi Seperates so apologies in advance if it's a stupid question.

Edited for clarity.

ScottABoy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 20, 2008

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ScottABoy posted:

Anyway, whats happening is that when I'm listening to music sometimes the volume will suddenly be much louder than it should be (but only for a split second).

Do you have a compressor plugin running in your music player? Maybe that's set funny.

ScottABoy
Mar 15, 2004
I AM A LIAR

Sniep posted:

Do you have a compressor plugin running in your music player? Maybe that's set funny.

Nothing like that at all, it seems to happen no matter what media player I'm using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
I was considering a pair of energy c-100 speakers, but then I saw the c-50 was a lot cheaper, and I am looking for something pretty small. Has anyone listened to the 50s?