Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nosubsgo
Aug 9, 2007

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but whatever. I've loved Boards of Canada for a long time, and I've been fascinated by their nostalgic, 1970s documentary sound. But I don't have the vocabulary to describe that sound besides what it reminds me of. I guess I'm looking for technical descriptions of what they're doing to get that sound. Maybe someone here can help me.

I guess this little vignette is as good an example as any: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=exnbfHq2P1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

nosubsgo posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but whatever. I've loved Boards of Canada for a long time, and I've been fascinated by their nostalgic, 1970s documentary sound. But I don't have the vocabulary to describe that sound besides what it reminds me of. I guess I'm looking for technical descriptions of what they're doing to get that sound. Maybe someone here can help me.

I guess this little vignette is as good an example as any: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=exnbfHq2P1c

12-bit samplers. And genuine samples from old tv shows or really old 80s analog synths. OSCar, and the like. A lot of BOC work is natural detuning of analog oscillators, and if you try to mimic this with software, it will just sound like mimicing, not authentic.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

nosubsgo posted:

This came up a few pages back actually.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Halo posted:

A lot of BOC work is tape flutter and wow

There, fixed that for you.

Further evidence: http://theheartcore.com/music/kaini_micromod.mp3 came straight out of a Nord Micromodular, which is as digital as it gets, and http://theheartcore.com/music/ontario_planks.mp3 are DCOs all the way and those are ridiculously stable.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 18, 2008

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
I prefer your attempts to BoC, Yoozer. Would you object to me trying to do a remix around one of those loops you just linked?

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Yoozer posted:

There, fixed that for you.

Further evidence: http://theheartcore.com/music/kaini_micromod.mp3 came straight out of a Nord Micromodular, which is as digital as it gets, and http://theheartcore.com/music/ontario_planks.mp3 are DCOs all the way and those are ridiculously stable.

lol gosh thanks for the education.. it's not entirely wow and flutter though.

also, tycho.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
One way to get good BoC type sound is running the synth through an autotuner set to 0ms attack. If theres a little bit of modulation on the synth already it really gets that pitch bending sound spot on.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

One way to get good BoC type sound is running the synth through an autotuner set to 0ms attack. If theres a little bit of modulation on the synth already it really gets that pitch bending sound spot on.

there's a few ways to get wavering pitch, but boc's sound is more than just that. they use old samplers and old gear to make their music sound, well, genuinely old. tycho does it better than anyone and even he doesn't sound as authentic as they do.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is there any way to get an effect like lovely, warbled tape on a digital recording?

Like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d54TiN3t5_I

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

Is there any way to get an effect like lovely, warbled tape on a digital recording?

Like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d54TiN3t5_I
You can probably EQ it to remove some of the higher fidelity frequencies to give it that "lovely AM radio" sound. As for the pitch warble, just use a subtle LFO.

From what I've read, Boards of Canada finish a track and then run it through an extremely old hi-fi tape reel, and when it comes out the other end it is all warm and warped.

:swoon:

If you made that, would you mind describing the patch? :3: Is it just a saw with an enveloped low-pass and a pitch LFO? Did you use slight glide?

Mannex fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 19, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It's actually the spectral oscillator, if you're familiar with that. I haven't fired up my Micromodular in ages, but I'll see if I can take a screenshot for you.

Halo posted:

lol gosh thanks for the education..
Well, you could send him on a wild goose chase for old samplers and old synthesizers, which would still not give much of a guarantee in terms of results. An OSCar is not exactly a wonder of stability with the circuit boards rattling around inside, and older samplers are a pain because of interfacing and file formats. In most scenarios I think it's preferable (and certainly cheaper) to process the sounds.

quote:

also, tycho.
(after a bit of searching) - http://tychomusic.com ? Nice, very nice.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 19, 2008

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That explains why these tape decks have started selling for a lot on my national auction site lately.

I picked up an MB33 bass synthesizer last week (for free) and I'm noting down interesting and useful pot positions as I go, but is there a repository out there somewhere with good "sounds"? Got the traditional six pots and one for waveform.
The example sounds page from the Korg EA-1 manual doesn't really convert very well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Halo posted:

there's a few ways to get wavering pitch, but boc's sound is more than just that. they use old samplers and old gear to make their music sound, well, genuinely old. tycho does it better than anyone and even he doesn't sound as authentic as they do.

http://www.last.fm/music/Stux/2008+Demo/Swept :colbert:

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Yoozer posted:

It's actually the spectral oscillator, if you're familiar with that. I haven't fired up my Micromodular in ages, but I'll see if I can take a screenshot for you.

Well, you could send him on a wild goose chase for old samplers and old synthesizers, which would still not give much of a guarantee in terms of results. An OSCar is not exactly a wonder of stability with the circuit boards rattling around inside, and older samplers are a pain because of interfacing and file formats. In most scenarios I think it's preferable (and certainly cheaper) to process the sounds.

(after a bit of searching) - http://tychomusic.com ? Nice, very nice.

yeha i mean i fully agree with you. if i was to do it i'd be processing the sounds as well, rather than buying up old gear. all i am saying is that is part of how they do it and if signal process and authenticity mean anything, every nuonce has meaning.

yeah, tycho is pretty rad for a BOC knock off. i enjoy it.

sounds good, but doesn't sound analog.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Ableton's "Analog" softsynth has paremeters that allow you to recreate the "imperfection" of analog synths including random slight detuning of notes and stretched tuning to simulate off-tune oscillators.

Damien
Jun 21, 2003
After reading a lot of the suggestions in this thread, here's my attempt at a BOC-ish song. Mainly just the first half though, it's less BOC-inspired and more whacky after the interlude.

"Inner Projection"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mannex posted:

Ableton's "Analog" softsynth has paremeters that allow you to recreate the "imperfection" of analog synths including random slight detuning of notes and stretched tuning to simulate off-tune oscillators.

Does it inherently do this, or are these things all parameters you can control?

I don't have Live 7 yet. I know there's a demo, I'm just wondering.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mannex posted:

i personally think "analog" sounds very digital and VST like. not as a bad thing, i use it, but it doesnt sound very analog to me and im not a synth snob or anything.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I just saw this linked on another forum, and thought that it might be of interest to a few of you guys....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=75P0pqR9Gfc

It's a tutorial by trance producer Airbase, showing him making chopped up vocal FX. He makes it look painfully easy.

edit: There's a link to the HD version there, which is far better (you can actually see what he's doing, for a start!)

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

oredun posted:

i personally think "analog" sounds very digital and VST like. not as a bad thing, i use it, but it doesnt sound very analog to me and im not a synth snob or anything.
Eh, it's all about how you set the filter envelope. Setting it to monophonic and putting a slight glide helps a lot.

Kai was taken posted:

Does it inherently do this, or are these things all parameters you can control?

I don't have Live 7 yet. I know there's a demo, I'm just wondering.
There are two settings, called "Stretch" and "Error".

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

moron posted:

He makes it look painfully easy.

Haha, YES. VEC2 LOOPS.

Still neat though and it confirmed my suspicions :). You can do totally neat stuff by repitching parts of musical phrases.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
So this is my first attempt at making something with samples that isn't Premo inspired boom bap and my first post in this thread...

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

His other stuff is also pretty neat. What is warping though?
When you set markers in Live to tell the program where beats are so that it can then play a loop/song synched to another, it does this by time-stretching the intervals between marker points. That's the warping part.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mannie Fresh posted:

So this is my first attempt at making something with samples that isn't Premo inspired boom bap and my first post in this thread...

1. Mix up your drum pattern with more variations and fills. Right now it's pretty much the same 2-4 bar beat looping over and over and it gets really repetitive.

2. Tune your drum hits so they are in the same key as the rest of the song.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Mannie Fresh posted:

I love the poo poo out of that opening riff, what is it from?

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
every sample is from the track in the title.

The JBs - Things & Do off the album Hustle With Speed.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Damien posted:

After reading a lot of the suggestions in this thread, here's my attempt at a BOC-ish song. Mainly just the first half though, it's less BOC-inspired and more whacky after the interlude.

"Inner Projection"

it's good, but it doesn't really sound analog. sounds like dblue on the edited drums?

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

h_double posted:

2. Tune your drum hits so they are in the same key as the rest of the song.
How do you tune drum samples? Do you just twist the transpose knob until they sound right, or is there a more precise way?

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Mannex posted:

How do you tune drum samples? Do you just twist the transpose knob until they sound right, or is there a more precise way?

In Battery I just have the pitch wheel and play with it up or down until I hit it.

I was just lazy while doing this and slapped some drums on (hence why there's really no fills or change ups).

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Damien posted:

"Inner Projection"

I really don't care for the first part of the song, but the interlude and what comes after sounds pretty interesting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best way to simulate outdoor reverb? Not like out-in-the-alps delay, but just a generic outdoors.

Every time I try to use reverb to emulate an outdoor space, it ends up sounding like a gigantic room.

I am using Live's built-in reverb though, so that may account for part of it.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Kai was taken posted:

check out the 'ambience' reverb by smart electronix

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

What's the best way to simulate outdoor reverb? Not like out-in-the-alps delay, but just a generic outdoors.

Every time I try to use reverb to emulate an outdoor space, it ends up sounding like a gigantic room.

Depends on your space, I guess? Many outdoors situations, especially in nature, will not have a lot of reverb, possibly just some light, scattered bounces off the ground - basically early reflections like in a very small room, and no real reverb tail at all; just think of a snowed-in field in winter and how your steps sound: extremely dry and crunchy, no reverb. A concrete & glass city with its large flat surfaces will throw back more reflections and sound a bit like a really big cathedral, although I think an additional delay would be useful to approximate that. If you have something like hills or mountains in a distance that would reflect sound, you wouldn't get much on low level noises, but some late echoes on louder sounds. And so on. Just try to envision what your desired space looks like and how sounds would bounce back to you, and that should give you an idea of how to simulate it with effects.

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
I'm thinking about adding a pad based midi controller to my set up, which is basically just a 49 key Axiom, Ableton and an M-audio box at the moment, and I'm trying to decide between the Korg padKontrol and the Akai MPD24.

The Korg: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-padKONTROL-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=702910

And the Akai: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Akai-MPD24?sku=700812

I've heard good things about both as far as the pads themselves are concerned, and the difference seems to pretty much come down between whether you want that X-Y touchpad or a ton of sliders and faders. Honestly, the X-Y pad looks like it could be a lot of fun (and I like the flashy lights :3:), but the sliders/faders seem much more functional and practical...though how much will I really use either?

Obviously my Axiom has a lot of sliders and faders on it, but my question is about when i'm actually playing the controller and trying to put together compositions. I want to be able have samples fading in and out of the mix (which would just be done by assigning a volume control to that samples pad I guess?) and be able to chop said samples up by throwing filters/beat repeat etc. on and off of them. Wouldn't this be really hard to do with the padKontrol considering there's only 2 knobs and no sliders, or am I missing something? Am I even thinking about this in the right context? Sorry, but I know very little about any of this.

Also I have no idea how this guy went about it, but he essentially made his Korg into a ghetto monome. Awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Bi9Lt8Jlc

breaks
May 12, 2001

I thought the pads on the padkontrol were more playable than the MPD24 pads. In both cases I experimented with a variety of settings and gave it a few days to get acclimated. The knobs and faders from the MPD24 are a plus, obviously. For whatever it's worth it took about a week for the knobs on mine to start sending spurious data. Also they always act like pretend-rotaries, by which I mean they can't send any kind of +1/-1 stream. You may not care, but it sucked for my purposes. Presumably they adjust their internal value in response to incoming midi but I never tried it because they broke so quickly.

I did hear that they fixed the knob problem on later batches.

Anyway it basically comes down to playability vs utility. If you are just going to stick it in full levels mode and leave it there you might as well get the extra poo poo on the MPD24. If you're going to be a little more graceful with it the padkontrol is somewhat better in terms of actually playing the pads.

I'd also tell you not to buy any Akai product because their support department is legendarily bad (to the point where I just said gently caress it, kept the broken mpd and won't buy any more akai products), but that's just my experience and admittedly my MPD was from the first run of them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Live 6

I have the EIC 1 and everything included is in a Simpler rack running in multisample mode.

Is there any advantage to converting them from Simpler to Sampler, as far as speed or efficiency goes?

Also, I've heard about Sample Management in Live 7 being better than 6, can anybody elaborate on this some? I know how it works (I've read the description), but practically speaking, what things could I expect from it? Faster project loading, less CPU, quicker patch switching?

I'm not going to use it for any crazyass sound sculpting or anything so I don't care about features, I'm wondering if there's a pure technical advantage to the way Sampler handles multisamples over Simpler in Live 6.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Is using computer software as a sampler a good way to get an idea of how to operate a regular rackmounted sampler? I'm a month away from a Yahama A4000 if the guy finds all the papers on time and I can't put my work on hold, the samples would be triggered by midi out from my Yamaha RM1x.

(Got the FL8 demo, Ableton gave me the headache of a thousand wives, Reason just made me confused.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

MrLonghair posted:

Is using computer software as a sampler a good way to get an idea of how to operate a regular rackmounted sampler? I'm a month away from a Yahama A4000 if the guy finds all the papers on time and I can't put my work on hold, the samples would be triggered by midi out from my Yamaha RM1x.

(Got the FL8 demo, Ableton gave me the headache of a thousand wives, Reason just made me confused.)

FL8 is probably the best DAW available besides Logic 8, imho. FL should do what you need it to do, plus it has all the basic fundamentals of synthesized audio. Hardware tends to be more specific, but with the manuals and some fiddling you could get it going.

• Locked thread