Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Little known fact, Subaru built cars with c-clamps in 2002.

No, wait, no they didn't. That's just what's holding the front left corner of my driver's seat down. Also, the only way it's capable of doing that is by positioning the seat in a way that's completely uncomfortable to drive with my 6' 3" frame.

Lets takes this apart and see what's wrong.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is broke.

A nice closeup of the carnage.

You see, there's a problem with the left front driver's seat bolt on the 2002 WRX. It comes loose. There was a recall about it, but the recall amounted to putting loctite on the bolt. Suffice it to say, I never had the recall done. My bolt came loose once, but I tightened it again and never had an issue after that (years ago.)

Well, I guess the damage was already done. The loose bolt allows the seat to rock a little which enlarges the hole bit by bit. I was driving to work a few weeks ago and POP, it pulled through.

Finally got the part today. $72 down the drain from what could have been prevented by a $5 tube of loctite. This should have been a balls easy job, but the goddamn seat airbag connector kept refusing to come apart. After about 45 minutes of screwing with it (and slicing my palm open) I finally managed to get it apart. After I got the seat out, it took about 5 minutes to swap the rail out.

Well, I learned my lesson.

Should stay secure from now on.

So...

1. Broken seat rail
2. Slipping serpentine belts
3. Card in bicycle wheels clicking from left rear wheel
4. ABS cycling at low speed stops (likely related to 3.)
5. Burnt out parking light (low priority)
6. Slight shudder in steering wheel under high speed braking and slightly at highway speeds (gonna try rotating tires to see if it changes.)

Working my way down the list. Monday marked 7 years with the car, it's starting to show it's age a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
If you check out the previous page I asked some questions about a 2002 WRX I was thinking of purchasing that had a choking problem. I took it to DBTuned in Sacramento today and discovered the main cause of issue was most likely the Prodrive Boost control solenoid that was left on the car. The car is/was tuned to stock and the solenoid was most likely causing the turbo to spool too fast is our guess.

Other than that, the only problems were a leaky radiator hose, a exhaust gasket leak and the fact that the car has stock struts with aftermarket springs. I appreciate everyone saying run, but for the price of $6500 I decided to go ahead and purchase the car, first up; replacing the struts and fixing the exhaust leak. Pics to follow!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

6. Slight shudder in steering wheel under high speed braking and slightly at highway speeds (gonna try rotating tires to see if it changes.)
This could be caused by a front wheel bearing failure as well.
My Subaru currently sounds like a turbo prop. Awesome!

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

At what rate do you find crashed STis? What sort of net do you cast? All over NA?

About every other month. Most of it comes off of NASIOC or through a guy who knows a guy that knows my boss.

The rally community is pretty tight, so you can get very good deals on other people's used equipment if you're willing to help them out in a similar manner.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

3. Card in bicycle wheels clicking from left rear wheel
4. ABS cycling at low speed stops (likely related to 3.)

Metallic debris can get caught on the magnetic stem of the wheel speed sensor and cause it to rub on the tone wheel too. Click click on every tooth and the Hall sensor won't work at low speeds.

I'll stop internet-mechanicing now.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

nm posted:

Did you get everything repaired?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Turbo Car posted:

Did you get everything repaired?
Not the wheel bearing.
My car got seriously hosed:
The wheel bent (this seems to happen all the time, the LGT wheels seem fragile. One shop has two LGTs that just came in with what looked like 3 perfect wheels each, but once they put them on teh spinner, all 6 were bent. Finally got a decent used wheel).
The control arm bent
The tie rods bent
And now it seems like the wheel bearing was damaged too.
poo poo and I was like 10mph or less when I hit too. Rally heritage my rear end.

Need to find me parking lots sans curbs :)

I should try to get subaru to replace the wheel bearing under warranty (I ahve 500 miles left) as they haven't fixed anything but recalls under warranty, but somehow I think the sight of a new CA and tie rods would make them wonder.

Regarding ABS. I had that happen as well. At least on the LGTs, there is a small space between the wheel hub and the sensor ring, just perfect for getting rocks caught in them. At a particularly rocky autocross site (canterbury), it seems a rock got in there and just tore up the sensor ring. ABS failed. I spun twice that weekend (legacys don't spin easy), flat spotted my RE-01Rs, but won ESP both days taht weekend. :) At least on the LGT, the sensor ring is part of the wheel bearing making it a bicth to repalce. Seems a design defect too as the sensor ring is insanely weak and the space is just perfect for trapping rocks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

"[ELP posted:

"]
If you check out the previous page I asked some questions about a 2002 WRX I was thinking of purchasing that had a choking problem. I took it to DBTuned in Sacramento today and discovered the main cause of issue was most likely the Prodrive Boost control solenoid that was left on the car. The car is/was tuned to stock and the solenoid was most likely causing the turbo to spool too fast is our guess.

yeah that will definitely do it. But hey you can sell that thing online for like $75. Or keep it for a tune or bigger turbo.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Turbo Car posted:

I've got a ton of them sitting around the shop I work in. We buy them off of crashed STis and rebuild them (when we have time) as spares. They're like $50 a piece if you know where to find them (hint: NASIOC)

I poo poo you not my boss can change out all four axles on the car in under 10 minutes. He just busts everything off with a massive impact, knocks the rear endlink bolt off with one hit of the hammer, and just loving pulls the rear axles off with brute force. It's pretty amazing.

The '06 STi has the same final gear ratio as the '06 WRX, so you can use the '06 STi 6-speed with the R160, so my boss says, and can keep the same axles. That's what I was thinking off, not the axles My bad.

Yeah when I was changing the axle I felt like I was snapping in a lego.

Nasioc, for the last 4 weeks, does not work for me long enough to log in and search it. Some people seem to have this problem and some don't. It's very irritating. In fact, I just tried it again now, it says "Server too busy at the moment. Please try again later".

Do you think you have any spares laying around your shop :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The abs thing started immediately after I replaced a wheel stud on that wheel. So, it's entirely possible that some piece of debris got deposited on the sensor and is causing it to goof up.

The clicking started a few weeks after that and immediately followed an incident when I was backing out of my garage and it felt like I had the parking brake engaged, but I didn't. It popped free on it's own though and I've had the clicking ever since. I'm thinking part of the parking break mechanism may have gotten jammed and popped free, and there could a piece of "something" brushing against the abs ring.

I may have a chance to finally get it apart this weekend to check out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

nm posted:

I crushed a bearing good a few weeks back going into a ditch. My mechanic said it fell into three pieces when they popped it out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

I crushed a bearing good a few weeks back going into a ditch. My mechanic said it fell into three pieces when they popped it out.

I think they do that anyway. I asked one of the dealers if they should inspect the wheel bearings on my Forester (as it was a reoccuring problem on the first ones). They said not unless there are symptoms, as it falls apart when you take it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not so sure that my shudder is a wheel bearing as there are no other symptoms. I've had the car up on jacks and grabbed the wheel and tried pulling it in all directions and there's zero play in it. So, while possible, I'm not convinced.

I was able to affect the severity of the issue by adjusting my tire pressures a few weeks go. The tires are over 2 years old at this point, so it's very possible they've come out of balance or lost a wheel weight at some point. I'm hopeful there will be some changes when I put them on the back of the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I'm not so sure that my shudder is a wheel bearing as there are no other symptoms. I've had the car up on jacks and grabbed the wheel and tried pulling it in all directions and there's zero play in it. So, while possible, I'm not convinced.
I orginally read you statement as a card in the spokes from the front wheel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nm posted:

I orginally read you statement as a card in the spokes from the front wheel.

Ah, no, it's a rear wheel (right actually, not left like I said before).

The clicking happened after I replaced a wheel stud and had resistance backing out of my garage. i'm thinking a piece of the parking brake came apart and is clicking on the ABS ring.

Same with the abs going off at low speed. I was monkeying around back there when I was replacing the stud and the sensor may be fouled somehow. This started happening immediately after replacing the wheel stud. I just hope it isn't damaged, damaged. The instructions actually called for removing it when replacing the stud, but I gave up trying to get it apart and managed to replace the stud without removing the sensor. I just hope I didn't damage it because then I STILL have to get it off and pay the money to buy a new one.

The shudder I can feel in the steering wheel. It happens during braking from higher speed, but it's also present in some form when driving at higher speed too. I had it diminish somewhat when I increased tire pressure so I'm hoping its simply tire balance related. Could be alignment too since it's been about 2 1/2 years since I had one done (tire wear is fine though.) I don't really notice any other handling issues.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
It begins!

10 minutes after this was taken a woman driving a Toyota Avalon spun out, and some guy in a Silverado (the one you can barely see in that photo) flying down the left lane panic braked, and just plowed into her front end, spinning her, and someone else in the other lane then nailed her.

Then on another on-ramp, an 80 year old man in a Prius almost creamed me from behind, but I saw him skidding and got the hell over out of the way just in time for him to slide up onto the curb, and look at me all surprised. Slow the gently caress down you retard it wasn't my fault!

Everyone in Massachusetts stay off the roads! There are so many shitheads out driving right now it's not even funny.

My plan is to chill out and wait until about 1am when no one is out driving, then go and find some empty parking lots :q:

Edit: These Nokians were worth every penny. I forgot how awesome they are in the snow, especially when it comes to braking.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

10 minutes after this was taken a woman driving a Toyota Avalon spun out, and some guy in a Silverado (the one you can barely see in that photo) flying down the left lane panic braked, and just plowed into her front end, spinning her, and someone else in the other lane then nailed her.

Then on another on-ramp, an 80 year old man in a Prius almost creamed me from behind, but I saw him skidding and got the hell over out of the way just in time for him to slide up onto the curb, and look at me all surprised. Slow the gently caress down you retard it wasn't my fault!

Everyone in Massachusetts stay off the roads! There are so many shitheads out driving right now it's not even funny.

My plan is to chill out and wait until about 1am when no one is out driving, then go and find some empty parking lots :q:

Edit: These Nokians were worth every penny. I forgot how awesome they are in the snow, especially when it comes to braking.

Oh god, I feel your pain. We just had a minor snowstorm here in Chicago. Seeing as the roads werent plowed yet outside the city (where my dealer is) I decided to go get an oil change and have some fun on the way there. On my way back an older lady in a Galant hits a larger lump of snow in the road (which is already snow covered mind you), freaks out, and smashes her car off the road into a giant snow bank and slides out into the middle of one lane of a two lane road. So shes stuck there and im behind her still going 40mph. Thank god the garbage truck next to me saw what was happening and moved over to let me change lanes otherwise I would have totalled right into her.

Then I took a left turn into another two lane road (which had only one lane driveable, the other was covered in a good foot of snow) and I took it just a tiny bit too fast and skidded deep into the snow covered lane. Some nice guy pulls over and goes, "Do you need help getting out of there." I tell him, "No, I think I'll be all right" and do a first gear "burnout" right the hell out of there and was on my way. I love Subarus.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Right now I'm waiting for the traffic to die down... apparently going down a light or two and coming back on the main road right by the office is taking about 30 minutes.

Should be an interesting drive home in the LGT. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
We just had a huge snowstorm dumping almost 8 inches in Ontario and it was hilarious fun. I found out today my Impreza can punch through heavy snow up to the headlights. No matter how deep it never got stuck, just slowed down. I "shoveled" the foot and a half of snow on my driveway by driving the Impreza back and forth on it until it was flat.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I'm jealous of you all and your snow.

It was 76°F here today. I don't deserve to own a Subaru :(

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Hey turbo car if you come back to the thread please let me know if you still work at that shop. If so, could you email me at gt4604@gmail.com ! :D

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

FalconGuy016 posted:

Hey turbo car if you come back to the thread please let me know if you still work at that shop. If so, could you email me at gt4604@gmail.com ! :D

Yeah I do. Email out.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TurboLuvah posted:

It begins!

Southern NH here. I love seeing both Subies in their natural environment.

Shoveled the driveway, brushed the cars off and 3 hours later that's what my yard looks like.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Drivers Republic have an article with some crazy firebreathing STI you can buy in the UK that's based of one of the Japanese homologation specials - can you get Type-C's in the US too, or will DOT not let them in?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Dr JonboyG posted:

Drivers Republic have an article with some crazy firebreathing STI you can buy in the UK that's based of one of the Japanese homologation specials - can you get Type-C's in the US too, or will DOT not let them in?

gently caress you. We dont get fun stuff like that:(

Easier link to demigod sti:
http://litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru_type20.asp?shopmenu=2

Lando fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 23, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Probably a little too late to ask this, but anyone thing I'll have issues with 205/60/16 snows on stock WRX suspension and stock WRX 16" wheels?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Probably a little too late to ask this, but anyone thing I'll have issues with 205/60/16 snows on stock WRX suspension and stock WRX 16" wheels?

I've been looking for chains for my 205/55/16 tires for a week now :(

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Anyone know about these Saab 9.2x AEROs? Are they bascially WRXs with leather and more options? I had never heard of one, saw one today while checking out a Legacy, and thought it looked awesome. The dealer said it is basically a rebadged WRX engine wise and from what I have seen online it looks like this is true. Are they really reliable like Subarus? Anyone own one? If so can I bother you with 200 questions?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ribsauce posted:

Anyone know about these Saab 9.2x AEROs? Are they bascially WRXs with leather and more options? I had never heard of one, saw one today while checking out a Legacy, and thought it looked awesome. The dealer said it is basically a rebadged WRX engine wise and from what I have seen online it looks like this is true. Are they really reliable like Subarus? Anyone own one? If so can I bother you with 200 questions?

that's what I've got, pretty happy with it so far.

They only made them in '05 and '06 but the drivetrain is all subaru with saab doing the trim. there are a few other folks in the thread that have 92x's so fire away with the questions.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 23, 2008

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I am moving to Melbourne in Jan, I wish I had someone there to check this out for me:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=6621399&__Ntt=turbo&__Qpb=true&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294963801%201622%20443&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1011&PriceTo=443&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__Ntk=CarAll&seot=0&__Nne=15&trecs=12&__D=turbo&__sid=11DA1422DBB6

A turbo swapped Brumby (Brat?) with a 50mm lift kit.

Although it looks to be the smaller old 1.8l turbo from a Leone, I could be wrong.

It looks so fun!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Say I have been driving for 10 years but have never driven a manual. Am I retarded for looking at a manual? I have a friend who can teach me to drive one. I feel like if I get a faster car like this I should get a manual plus I kind of want one anyways no matter what I get. There is a manual and automatic 9-2X near me. The manual one has all the options and is cheaper with 45k miles (the auto has less options, is more, and has 20k miles). Both are '05. I am going to test drive the automatic probably tomorrow just to get the feel of the cars.

edit

Does anything make the WRX better? From what I can tell the Saab is like a WRX except with leather and fancier options and 4k less. I even read all the same engine mods work on both. I don't plan on doing any mods or anything but I guess that confirms the engines are the same

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 23, 2008

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TurboLuvah posted:

Buy some 15" steel wheels off craigslist, it should be easier to find tires and Les Schwab will swap them for free each season.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

taqueso posted:

Buy some 15" steel wheels off craigslist, it should be easier to find tires and Les Schwab will swap them for free each season.

Nooo, I'm asking if they'll fit on the stock 16"s without rubbing much. I don't want to get a set of 15" steelies for the car I don't even know what Les Schwab is.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

Nooo, I'm asking if they'll fit on the stock 16"s without rubbing much. I don't want to get a set of 15" steelies for the car I don't even know what Les Schwab is.

tire shop all up and down the left coast.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TurboLuvah posted:

My mistake. I don't know if they will rub first hand, but google reports they will work fine. (Les Schwab is a tire store, apparently only in the NW)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
question about tires for my 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon:

Are the RE960AS worth the extra 30 bucks a tire over the BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S. I live in Indiana and have had no trouble getting around on the poo poo tires I have right now, but I am due for new ones.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ribsauce posted:

Yes, several of us have them. Yes, they're very reliable. The main differences are we got the MY2006 interior a year early, there's more sound deadening, the suspension is tuned a bit differently, and we have the STI steering rack. THe 92x is just a better looking (the best looking) WRX variant.

Backno - yes, RE960ASs are worth it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Lando posted:

gently caress you. We dont get fun stuff like that:(

Easier link to demigod sti:
http://litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru_type20.asp?shopmenu=2

Would it be possible to import one though? If the model has type approval in the US, does that mean you can bring over foreign market examples?

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Ribsauce posted:

Say I have been driving for 10 years but have never driven a manual. Am I retarded for looking at a manual? I have a friend who can teach me to drive one. I feel like if I get a faster car like this I should get a manual plus I kind of want one anyways no matter what I get.

My Legacy was the first manual car I had ever driven, after about 8 years of driving. I didn't exactly have a gift for it, and I managed to master it without shredding the clutch. I got another 20k out of it before it started to slip (at a respectable 140,000 miles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Backno posted:

question about tires for my 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon:

Are the RE960AS worth the extra 30 bucks a tire over the BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S. I live in Indiana and have had no trouble getting around on the poo poo tires I have right now, but I am due for new ones.

Yes. $120 isn't that much over the life of the tires, and the RE960AS will last a long, long time. I love mine, and I'm pretty sure everyone else in here who's got them loves theirs too.

Accessport ordered yesterday. :)

New CV boot put in yesterday :(