Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The next main line Tales game is on the Wii? Oh motherfucker. Every time I think of finally getting rid of my Wii, which I haven't even plugged in in months, I hear an announcement like this.

Also, please God let it have a classic controller option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Samurai Sanders posted:

The next main line Tales game is on the Wii? Oh motherfucker. Every time I think of finally getting rid of my Wii, which I haven't even plugged in in months, I hear an announcement like this.

Also, please God let it have a classic controller option.

I'm actually more excited about the new game then ToS2. I played a little bit of it at the Penny Arcade Expo this year and wasn't very impressed with ToS2. And maybe someone can answer this for me. Is there gamecube controller support for ToS2? I think Vesperia may have spoiled me on Tales games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm actually more excited about the new game then ToS2. I played a little bit of it at the Penny Arcade Expo this year and wasn't very impressed with ToS2. And maybe someone can answer this for me. Is there gamecube controller support for ToS2? I think Vesperia may have spoiled me on Tales games.
NO. That's what makes me seriously worried about this new one. ToS2 had many flaws but for me, the weirdness of playing it with the wiimote/nunchuck setup was chief among them, especially when it is pointless except for a minimally implemented wiimote puzzle solving thing.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

NO. That's what makes me seriously worried about this new one. ToS2 had many flaws but for me, the weirdness of playing it with the wiimote/nunchuck setup was chief among them, especially when it is pointless except for a minimally implemented wiimote puzzle solving thing.

Yeah the usage of the Wii remote was pretty poorly implemented. You only use it to aim the Sorcerer's Ring or pick the location you want to go to on the map, but even that was crappy. I was fine with the Wii remote for combat, but I really hated using the 1 and 2 buttons to scroll through enemies. I really hope the next Tales game actually has Gamecube controller support.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

Yeah the usage of the Wii remote was pretty poorly implemented. You only use it to aim the Sorcerer's Ring or pick the location you want to go to on the map, but even that was crappy. I was fine with the Wii remote for combat, but I really hated using the 1 and 2 buttons to scroll through enemies. I really hope the next Tales game actually has Gamecube controller support.

you change targets with -, or by holding it you can scroll through them.

I'm pissed that my favorite Arte in ToSII, Raining Fang, isn't a centurion move. But then again, I haven't gotten Aqua yet, and it would make sense for Raining Fang to be a water type move.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Reading this guide it seems you have to fight a level ONE HUNDRED SIXTY monster in chapter four for the collector sidequest. Is that true?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Reading this guide it seems you have to fight a level ONE HUNDRED SIXTY monster in chapter four for the collector sidequest. Is that true?

Not exactly. That quest requires that you go with Richter to Asgard where you open up a new section of the Ruins. The path that takes you to the level 120 Phoenix isn't part of the sidequest. In fact, it's just a boss that gives you an item that you place into those mysterious holes you see in the main part of the Ruins. You just get some gald and treasures. Fighting him is completely optional and I would recommend waiting till Chapter 8 to take him on because he has two level 90 werewolf fighters with him that can heal.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Please tell me there's an easy way to farm Grade in Abyss. I just finished my first playthrough, and I'm like 600~ Grade short of what I need just to carry over everything. I really don't want to the drat Cheagle Forest, throw it on Hard and fight 300 something fights.

Although that would get my Berserker title :v:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Please tell me there's an easy way to farm Grade in Abyss. I just finished my first playthrough, and I'm like 600~ Grade short of what I need just to carry over everything. I really don't want to the drat Cheagle Forest, throw it on Hard and fight 300 something fights.

Although that would get my Berserker title :v:

I used the Cheagle Forest method. With good enough weapons, you just need 1 hit to kill everything and you also build up your kill count as well. You get like 5.25 grade per encounter, so after 100 fights you get 500 grade.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

I used the Cheagle Forest method. With good enough weapons, you just need 1 hit to kill everything and you also build up your kill count as well. You get like 5.25 grade per encounter, so after 100 fights you get 500 grade.

I miss Rita already. :saddowns:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Holy gently caress guys, the Twilight palace is insane. You get really amazing equipment there, and the enemies are tough as hell. And then, at the end, you fight a ridiculous boss that I couldn't even deal more than like 40 damage to each hit. Plus he has four companions who are high level monsters, which barely ever flinch, and can heal themselves pretty easily. gently caress that fight

I had to change the battle rank back to normal because I kept dying in the S rank missions, including the Twilight one. Mainly the battles were long and boring and I'd fight battles like two misc enemies and then two Blue Roses, who would constantly heal the other enemies and each other, making the battle drag on for minutes. I'm probably extremely lucky I beat any S rank missions under level 70 on hard.

And I was just looking at that weird guide that was just posted, I hope I get the true ending, which I guess is the good ending. I assume it will tell me which ending I get after I beat the game? Also can you do the phoenix sidequest in your first playthrough?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Holy gently caress guys, the Twilight palace is insane. You get really amazing equipment there, and the enemies are tough as hell. And then, at the end, you fight a ridiculous boss that I couldn't even deal more than like 40 damage to each hit. Plus he has four companions who are high level monsters, which barely ever flinch, and can heal themselves pretty easily. gently caress that fight

I had to change the battle rank back to normal because I kept dying in the S rank missions, including the Twilight one. Mainly the battles were long and boring and I'd fight battles like two misc enemies and then two Blue Roses, who would constantly heal the other enemies and each other, making the battle drag on for minutes. I'm probably extremely lucky I beat any S rank missions under level 70 on hard.

And I was just looking at that weird guide that was just posted, I hope I get the true ending, which I guess is the good ending. I assume it will tell me which ending I get after I beat the game? Also can you do the phoenix sidequest in your first playthrough?

Endings:
Letter = BAD
"I know." = Normal
Kiss = Good

This is based on what I know, since I haven't had time to beat this yet (gently caress releasing the day before WotLK).

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Endings:
Letter = BAD
"I know." = Normal
Kiss = Good

This is based on what I know, since I haven't had time to beat this yet (gently caress releasing the day before WotLK).

If Lloyd managed to grab any of the cores (besides the Light one) before you reached them, you're probably going to end up with the Bad/Normal ending. Just make good decisions and remember to stick to your plan at the end.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

If Lloyd managed to grab any of the cores (besides the Light one) before you reached them, you're probably going to end up with the Bad/Normal ending. Just make good decisions and remember to stick to your plan at the end.

Lloyd can beat you to the cores? Seriously?

Also someone explain this lv120 phoenix quest to me, why would I be going with Richter to Asgard when he's my enemy?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

If you enter and exit Triet Ruins too much, Lloyd will beat you to the core. Also, if you get hit by too much lightning in the Lightning Temple, same thing.

And the Richter sidequests start in Chapter 5, before Richter suspects that (major endgame spoiler)Emil is Ratatosk. Emil respects Richter and doesn't want to fight with him. He sees Richter as responsible for giving him courage, and he is interested in traveling with him.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC you want to let Lloyd beat you to the Lightning core at least once, so you can get a title you can only get if you do that or something.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

IIRC you want to let Lloyd beat you to the Lightning core at least once, so you can get a title you can only get if you do that or something.

Well if you want to 100% the titles, you need to beat the game at least twice anyway. Letting Lloyd reach the Lightning core first gives you the Third Lloyd Mask.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just got the bad ending in Tales of Symphonia II, and I gotta tell you Eddain, there's nothing in the letter that implies that Marta killed herself, she ends it saying she's going to spend her life fighting to protect the world Emil sacrificed himself to save. You got my hopes up and everything!

Gonna probably level up a bit until I am strong enough to do the Twilight Palace. . . also I wanna fight a level 120 Phoenix where do I do that?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just got the bad ending in Tales of Symphonia II, and I gotta tell you Eddain, there's nothing in the letter that implies that Marta killed herself, she ends it saying she's going to spend her life fighting to protect the world Emil sacrificed himself to save. You got my hopes up and everything!

Gonna probably level up a bit until I am strong enough to do the Twilight Palace. . . also I wanna fight a level 120 Phoenix where do I do that?

Hey, that's how I interpreted the bad ending! It's the only thing that made me feel better after playing through that mess.

Also to fight that Phoenix you have to revisit the ruins in Asgard. I don't know how it would go if you didn't start that sidequest with Richter, but go to the right and walk north in those separate paths until you see a statue. If you were with Richter he'd point out something suspicious about the area. Since he won't be with you, try to search the statue for a button. Just follow the leads from there if the game allows you to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

Hey, that's how I interpreted the bad ending! It's the only thing that made me feel better after playing through that mess.

Also to fight that Phoenix you have to revisit the ruins in Asgard. I don't know how it would go if you didn't start that sidequest with Richter, but go to the right and walk north in those separate paths until you see a statue. If you were with Richter he'd point out something suspicious about the area. Since he won't be with you, try to search the statue for a button. Just follow the leads from there if the game allows you to.

and you can do this in your first playthrough? drat, that's what I get for not going back to every town every chance I had!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

and you can do this in your first playthrough? drat, that's what I get for not going back to every town every chance I had!

Yeah I randomly chanced upon it myself when I was going back to old towns to find the Wonder Chef.

There's an entire string of Richter sidequests that can be done if you know how they're started. I only managed to do half of them though since I totally forgot to go check out the Cape Fort like Aqua told me to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

Yeah I randomly chanced upon it myself when I was going back to old towns to find the Wonder Chef.

There's an entire string of Richter sidequests that can be done if you know how they're started. I only managed to do half of them though since I totally forgot to go check out the Cape Fort like Aqua told me to.

drat it, I guess I'll be doing those in my second playthrough. And when does she tell you to do that?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

drat it, I guess I'll be doing those in my second playthrough. And when does she tell you to do that?

Well once you do the very first Richter sidequest you're given clues on how to start the next one. After doing the Asgard sidequest Richter tells you he doesn't need your help anymore, but Aqua tells you where Richter plans to go next so you can follow him anyway.

All these sidequests do is sorta explain the ending of the game how Richter got a Cruxis Crystal and Mana Stone, basically.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So Tales of Hearts is confirmed to have a cameo battle, and it's Guy from TOTA. He apparently has no lines, not even a voice and just vanishes after the fight. Beating him lets you use him as an assist. On that note, Tales of Hearts is pretty cool so far. I'm not very far in it though. It's worth noting that this time moves aren't just learned through levelling up, they're learned through upgrading your weapon with new moves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BurningCourage posted:

It's worth noting that this time moves aren't just learned through levelling up, they're learned through upgrading your weapon with new moves.

So, it's kind of like Vesperia's skills except they're artes?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Vyse_23 posted:

So, it's kind of like Vesperia's skills except they're artes?

Well from the little that I know, I think it's more like... you have a particular main weapon (think FF8) that you can upgrade, and by upgrading it you get new abilities (think FF8 Limit Breaks).

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Basically yeah, it's like that. You also learn other skills through weapon upgrading, like Manual Mode.

What I don't like about these skill systems in the later Tales games is that they're beginning to make you earn abilites you were always able to do in previous games by default, like using items on other party members, or viewing Grade after a battle. Yep, ToH makes you earn the ability to see the Grade you get after a battle, which is silly in my opinion.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

Basically yeah, it's like that. You also learn other skills through weapon upgrading, like Manual Mode.

What I don't like about these skill systems in the later Tales games is that they're beginning to make you earn abilites you were always able to do in previous games by default, like using items on other party members, or viewing Grade after a battle. Yep, ToH makes you earn the ability to see the Grade you get after a battle, which is silly in my opinion.

Hahahahaha that's atrocious. It's fine when the lack of those skills isn't terribly hindering (Item Thrower is fine since you can still use Life Bottles on unconscious allies, and using gels on yourself just delays you for a bit), but it's annoying when you have to learn skills for basic, mundane stuff.

Anyone here play FF12? The License Grid required you to learn the skill "Leather Coat" before you could... equip a Leather Coat. THAT was terrible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Item Thrower made a reasonable amount of sense (but it's still annoying when you forget who has it and who doesn't), but yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about needing an ability to view your grade. You only need it on one character, right?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Technically, I believe the ability to view Grade is earned throughout the main story, not via an upgrade. Still, it's an odd decision, seeing as all the previous Tales games that had it let you see Grade from the off.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Eddain posted:

The letter ending was toned down for the US release, I'm pretty sure in the japanese version she does kill herself.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

The letter ending was toned down for the US release, I'm pretty sure in the japanese version she does kill herself.

Yeah I was reading the wikipedia article for the game a few weeks before the US release, checking out the possible endings, but now that I look at the article the endings are entirely differently.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
The top 50 Tales characters as revealed at Jump Festa 2009:

quote:

1. Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
2. Leon Magnus (Tales of Destiny)
3. Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)
4. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
5. Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss)
6. Guy Cecil (Tales of the Abyss)
7. Kratos Aurion (Tales of Symphonia)
8. Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)
9. Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
10. Emil Castagnier (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
11. Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)
12. Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss)
13. Asch (Tales of the Abyss)
14. Stahn Aileron (Tales of Destiny)
15. Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia)
16. Reid Hershel (Tales of Eternia)
17. Estelle (Tales of Vesperia)
18. Spada Belforma (Tales of Innocence)
19. Bruiser Khang (Tales of Destiny)
20. Judas (Tales of Destiny 2)
21. Marta Lualdi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
22. Presea Combatir (Tales of Symphonia)
23. Cless Alvein (Tales of Phantasia)
24. Sync (Tales of the Abyss)
25. Veigue Lungberg (Tales of Rebirth)
26. Chloe Valens (Tales of Legendia)
27. Judith (Tales of Vesperia)
28. Ion (Tales of the Abyss)
29. Celsius (General)
30. Flynn Scifo (Tales of Vesperia)
31. Kanonno Earhart (Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2)
32. Anise Tatlin (Tales of the Abyss)
33. Farah Oersted (Tales of Eternia)
34. Genis Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
35. Arche Klaine (Tales of Phantasia)
36. Kyle Dunamis (Tales of Destiny 2)
37. Richter Abend (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
38. Keele Zeibel (Tales of Eternia)
39. Jay (Tales of Legendia)
40. Senel Coolidge (Tales of Legendia)
41. Mao (Tales of Rebirth)
42. Ruca Milda (Tales of Innocence)
43. Dhaos (Tales of Phantasia)
44. Barbatos Goetia (Tales of Destiny 2)
45. Karol Capel (Tales of Vesperia)
46. Chester Barklight (Tales of Phantasia)
47. Natalia L.K. Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
48. Mieu (Tales of the Abyss)
49. Suzu Fujibayashi (Tales of Phantasia)
50. Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)

http://symphonicheaven.com/news/tales/websites/tales-channel/4th-tales-of-ranking-contest-results

Yuri is number 1? I'm so surprised. :v:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

The top 50 Tales characters as revealed at Jump Festa 2009:

http://symphonicheaven.com/news/tales/websites/tales-channel/4th-tales-of-ranking-contest-results

Yuri is number 1? I'm so surprised. :v:

How the hell is Emil #10!? And Sheena's barely #50? Outrage!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sheena has terrible stats in ToS but she also is the only one who can summon, and the summons in that game are pretty loving awesome. At least Colette isn't on there, because seriously.

I do like that Celsius is on there, but of course they'd put the only blatantly female summon spirit on the list. Also Ratatosk Emil is kind of funny in that he's a complete dick to everyone including Marta. Marta is way more annoying than he is.

EDIT: What the gently caress no one liked Collette she had the worst stats of anyone in that game and was annoying and stupid and worthless, this is a lovely list.

Also who is Suzu Fujibayashi I played a fan translation of Tales of Phantasia and don't remember anyone by that name.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sheena has terrible stats in ToS but she also is the only one who can summon, and the summons in that game are pretty loving awesome. At least Colette isn't on there, because seriously.

I do like that Celsius is on there, but of course they'd put the only blatantly female summon spirit on the list. Also Ratatosk Emil is kind of funny in that he's a complete dick to everyone including Marta. Marta is way more annoying than he is.

EDIT: What the gently caress no one liked Collette she had the worst stats of anyone in that game and was annoying and stupid and worthless, this is a lovely list.

Also who is Suzu Fujibayashi I played a fan translation of Tales of Phantasia and don't remember anyone by that name.

Little ninja girl?

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Now, now, we can nitpick the list all we like, but Zelos, Jade, and Raven are in the top ten, and that's all that really matters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think a lot of fangirls voted in that poll, if it is like Namco's official polls. All the pretty boys end up at the top.

Harold didn't even make the top 50, that makes me so sad.

grantsnx
Mar 11, 2006
Forget Regret

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Para Ball was pretty awesome tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Tales of Hearts is pretty amazing, and even right after having finished Vesperia I can still say that.

The combat is ridiculously fast since you're basically always in overdrive mode as long as you stock up your gauge (can infinitely chain any skills into any skills). Pinning enemies against the ceiling for a 50 hit air combo is just fun. You're not forced to use healers, finally! You can call for heals from benched party members, and the heal stone mechanics provide a lot of your healing too once you get far into the game. The skills mechanics (learning skills from weapons) actually makes a lot of sense since you upgrade your weapons in one of three routes each time, and each one unlocks different categories of skills, so you can build your characters how you want.

The story is typical tales garbage though, and right after Vesperia it's like I'm playing the same loving game over again. Except I loving hate half my party (which is a better ratio than most JRPGs though).

Highly recommended import regardless of language barrier.