Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Josh Wow, my scene-knowing friend, ever played with Atomic Potato?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I have not but I hung out with Robby (their guitarist?) this summer when he was playing trumpet for Matt Wixson around the time Ska Weekend happened. Whenever we go to Cincinnatti I'm hoping we can set up a show with them, I've never seen them live but I like their recorded stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good enough for me.
They're doing a show the 23rd with 4point0, RoboBuddies, and probably someone else. I pray to god it's not Native Informant.
If they ever start touring, just hope you don't ever play a show with Native Informant. It's bad. Really bad. And their songs are all like ten minutes long.
Hopefully they'll get The Action or Straighter Than Pete to fill the fourth spot.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
http://www.myspace.com/havenotsboston

have nots. love them. they're comprised of ex-stray bullets guys and they're one of the only ska-influenced bands i still give a poo poo about.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Holy poo poo I love Stray Bullets.

Thanks.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Man I feel really stupid asking about lyrics here but does anyone know the lyrics to Mephiskapheles' "Centre of the..."?
I tried googling for it but there are only like three Mephiskapheles songs on any lyrics sites that they have the actual lyrics for.

Bonus happy points for whatever is said in the beginning!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
For the one person in the thread who cares, apparently there is drama surrounding the Specials reunion:

quote:

Jerry has a duty to inform anybody who may be interested of the true situation, which is that he was not invited to take part in this proposed tour, or even told about it.

He also has to say that claims that 'the door is still open' to him fail to mention that Jerry has been driven out every time he has attempted to get involved over the last year. He also wonders why this appears in the newspaper when former bandmates have his phone number?

Apart from the recording, Jerry wanted to try and aim for a proper reunion and 30th anniversary celebration, including [performing] the best part of both Specials albums, 'The Ghost Town' EP and a small amount of new material, in proper concerts, in venues worthy of the band's status and legacy."

Jerry sees this whole thing as a takeover, rather than a proper reunion... At the moment this is not the proud reunion and 30th anniversary celebration Jerry had hoped for."

Goddamnit, why can't these fuckers just get over it and do a proper reunion with a world tour?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
That's such a sad thing to see. Even though I'd never be able to see the reunion tour, I would absolutely love to see it happen. In the slight slight slight chance it'll keep the ball rolling and they decide to try it over here.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I post on another forum with one of the guys from Community Records, and they have another Download Day coming up with lots of free stuff. Here's the list for Download Day 2:

quote:

THE FLAMING TSUNAMIS - Fear Everything

STUCK LUCKY/ ARM THE POOR - We Never Sleep Split

TUSKER -Collection

MATT WIXSON - KEASBEY NIGHTS (best of matt collection)

THE MAD CONDUCTOR - Ejemplo (4 song collection)

THE GHOSTWOOD - Development (new orleans favorites)

SUPAFLIES - Rambarded (new orleans favorites)

Please tell everyone you know to come download more free music. These tunes will go up on 18th of December and from then on will be up for FREE DOWNLOAD from this site.

Now available from Community Records:
TUSKER – EP compact disc
MURPHY’S KIDS – shirts
STUCK LUCKY – vinyl, cds, shirts
FATTER THAN ALBERT – (new) vinyl, cds, shirts, hoodies
More stuff in the online catalog.

I'd like to grab Fear Everything and that Matt Wixson one, but dammit Matt. You don't get to call anything Keasbey Nights yet.

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.

Dickeye posted:

I post on another forum with one of the guys from Community Records, and they have another Download Day coming up with lots of free stuff. Here's the list for Download Day 2:

I'd like to grab Fear Everything and that Matt Wixson one, but dammit Matt. You don't get to call anything Keasbey Nights yet.

Matt Wixson is still around? Shouldn't he be old enough to not like ska anymore?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To quote an earlier post in this thread, the age that Ben Carr stops dancing at is the age when you're too old for ska.

I actually saw Wixson right before Halloween and he did a pretty good set. Covered Flaming Tsunami's Zombies Vs Robots which got the crowd roaring along while we set up. He did his Babylon Party Machine stuff later on but we were already out the door, it was like midnight at that point.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

My band recorded a Christmas EP, you can download it for free at:

http://www.tajmoteltrio.com/PBS.html

and some of the songs are on the myspace at:

https://www.myspace.com/TTMT

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wooo free music

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Awesome. I'm a sucker for christmas music.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

XMas stuff is cool, what do you play? The thing that blew me away most when I looked at your page is that Mustard Plug is still together.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

weekly font posted:

XMas stuff is cool, what do you play? The thing that blew me away most when I looked at your page is that Mustard Plug is still together.

He plays bass for them.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

weekly font posted:

Mustard Plug is not only still together, they're rocking as hard or harder than ever before. They just released a DVD as well, I'm currently waiting for it to get to my house. Also I forgot to mention we're doing a short Florida tour this weekend, so if you live in Florida come on out and say hi.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Calavera posted:

Matt Wixson is still around? Shouldn't he be old enough to not like ska anymore?
he routinely embarrasses himself at this other board i post on and it'd be sad if he weren't so smug

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sugar Blaster posted:

he routinely embarrasses himself at this other board i post on and it'd be sad if he weren't so smug

He was kind of a dick for the few minutes we got to talk to him but he played a decent enough set, albeit a bit short because he was going on for two short ones that night.

Decent meaning "I didn't really mind it, but I also didn't really want him to keep playing, and we bailed while he was setting up for the second set"

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2008

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.

Sugar Blaster posted:

THANK YOU. For a while I really thought I was the only person in the world who didn't care for him.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calavera posted:

THANK YOU. For a while I really thought I was the only person in the world who didn't care for him.

Let's put it this way: I've seen a lot worse going to every local show in the last year. I've seen first-wave jam bands that played too long, and skacore that just sucked dick. He's not THAT bad, but he's not as good as The Action or Straighter Than Pete or even some of the crappy college bands I've seen, either

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doubleposting to say holy poo poo, Razbari Sumthing is doing a reunion show Tuesday night in Syracuse. CNY goons, I demand your presence, this was/is like the best local ska band, they broke up a few years ago, and now they just play when everyone is back in town.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Wait, Warped Tour isn't going to suck this year?

http://www.warpedtour.com/warpedtour/bands.asp

Going for Streetlight, Big D, Bad Religion, NOFX, Westbound Train, Less Than Jake and Flogging Molly.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Aw man. This means I'll have to strongly consider going. I really tired out on Warped Tour a few years ago. It's not usually worth it to go and see some great bands get to play for half an hour then get booted off.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I'd love to see most of those, but the sets are too short for my taste and I just can't see it being worth the price of admission.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The year where there's no way for me to go, Bad Religion plays. gently caress you, Graffin, do some shows back home for once

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Wait, Warped Tour isn't going to suck this year?

http://www.warpedtour.com/warpedtour/bands.asp

Going for Streetlight, Big D, Bad Religion, NOFX, Westbound Train, Less Than Jake and Flogging Molly.

Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, NOFX, Streetlight Manifesto. Sold. Just needs more Street Dogs.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Holy poo poo that's by far the best Warped Tour lineup in a long time. I thought '05 was good, Jesus.

e: Actually, looking at it on the whole, '05 was probably still better but as far as representing the ska crowd this is the best lineup since like the 90s

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 22, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, NOFX, Streetlight Manifesto. Sold. Just needs more Street Dogs.

McColgan should never be allowed near a mic, sorry.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Do Or Die would like a word with you :mad:

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

Sugar Blaster posted:

http://www.myspace.com/havenotsboston

have nots. love them. they're comprised of ex-stray bullets guys and they're one of the only ska-influenced bands i still give a poo poo about.

Stray Bullets are one of my favorite bands. They don't get nearly the credit they deserve. They only released one album (I believe), yet it was good enough for me to proclaim them one of my favorite bands. I strongly urge all ska/punk fans to check them out.

That said, I didn't really enjoy the early demos that The Havenots released. The two songs now on their myspace are quite a bit better, though. Here's to hoping the album's good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Do Or Die would like a word with you :mad:

They got way better after Barr joined and they peaked with Blackout

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I love Al Barr and I like basically all of the Murphys' catalogue. And yes, I like Barr-era Murphys somewhat more than McColgan-era Murphys. But McColgan contributed some fine work that I like a lot and I thought it deserved recognition.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Do or Die is the best Dropkick Murphys album, McColgan's frog voice or not.

Also, Street Dogs are awesome too and up until recently their drummer was Joe Sirois and that's all you really need.

e:

For me it's: Do or Die > Sing Loud, Sing Proud / Blackout > The Meanest of Times > A Warrior's Code

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 23, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

I love Al Barr and I like basically all of the Murphys' catalogue. And yes, I like Barr-era Murphys somewhat more than McColgan-era Murphys. But McColgan contributed some fine work that I like a lot and I thought it deserved recognition.

There's a handful of songs that I do like McColgan's version of better. Barroom Hero and Finnegan's Wake come to mind. Barroom Hero kinda needs that rasping almost slurring voice to sound great.

But the rest of that album is hard for me to sit through. Blackout on the other hand, I've done drunken sing-alongs to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

There's a handful of songs that I do like McColgan's version of better. Barroom Hero and Finnegan's Wake come to mind. Barroom Hero kinda needs that rasping almost slurring voice to sound great.

But the rest of that album is hard for me to sit through.
You don't like Fightstarter Karaoke? Or Road of the Righteous? Boys on the Docks? Ton of great poo poo on that album.

quote:

Blackout on the other hand, I've done drunken sing-alongs to.
Well, yeah. That's what that album is for.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You haven't sung along with that album till you find a girl to sing Dirty Glass with you

Hint it's so rad

And while yes Road of the Righteous is a good song, I like Barr's version better. Also, not a fan of the acoustic pub version of Boys on the Docks. Live version is about ten times as awesome.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
Personally, the only ska I like is the second wave stuff, The Specials especially. I can't stand third wave ska like streetlight, catch 22, etc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
See I don't get the love for second wave, or even third-wave that sounds like it. It all sounds the same to me, with a few exceptions, like the Toasters. But hey, to each his own.

Is it local band plug time? I believe it is! http://www.myspace.com/therobobuddies Right there, another ska/rock/something or other band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Dickeye posted:

Is it local band plug time? I believe it is! http://www.myspace.com/therobobuddies Right there, another ska/rock/something or other band.

I really like the sound but the vocals are kind of throwing me off.