Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

I had absolutely no intention on buying any new guitars for awhile, but I stumbled on a couple clearance deals that brought these two to my door (pictured in front of some of the rest of the fleet)-

On the left is my new Gretsch Americana 3/4 scale acoustic - plays awesome for the $30 shipped it cost me.
On the right is my Ibanez AFS75, which is officially the the best-playing $200 guitar I've ever laid hands on (and I'd say worth way more).

That gretsch is hilarious. How does it sound, and how the hell is it so cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

pennywisdom posted:

That gretsch is hilarious. How does it sound, and how the hell is it so cheap?

It sounds pretty dry and plywood-y (probably because it's made out of plywood), but not in a bad way. Kinda has a Danelectro type retro-lofi vibe to it. It plays pretty great (way way better than a lot of those lovely house brand 3/4 guitars they sell at music shops).

It's one of 4 'collector' guitars that Gretsch brought out, and they started off selling them at $150 a pop. I guess they sold like poo poo, because they ended up on Overstock.com @ $50 each, then $30 when it was down to only 2 of the designs left.

Here's a youtube video (NOT ME) of some guy playing one (the Way Out West model, which I would have loved to get, but sold out too fast):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZOaqCxAuOk

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

DaFuente posted:

This isn't a picture of the ACTUAL keyboard I just bought (can't remember where I put my camera) , but...

$400. I repeat. $400.

Today is a good day.

MY friend got one for

free. Yes, free. At a yard sale because he mentioned to the sellers he played keyboard.

They had one in their basement and took it out because they're grandma bought it and played it once in a while. After she died they just forgot about it.

I've played it, it's oh so sweet, and yes I hate him for the rest of my life.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Standard Zombie posted:

e: however, the JEM is oh so drat playable. The thinner neck is more of a plus than I thought it would be before I picked it up for the first time, and the feel of it drives me to play way more than I used to.

Hey JEM buddy! I have a 555 (that I'm actually kind of trying to sell), but they are unique guitars that play really well, and I also am a fan of the neck profile (super thin and wide). I'm sure the high end series is even more awesome, although I have to say I prefer the black hardware to the gold.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I don't have a thread for this yet so I'm just gonna post this here and maybe start a thread about it tomorrow or something:

The pickguard isn't fully screwed on because I have to contend with a rat's nest worth of wires underneath there and might need to wait until I have a day off after christmas to wire it up and make it nice and clean.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

That red made my mouth water, seriously

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Needs a Korg pad.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Handen posted:

I don't have a thread for this yet so I'm just gonna post this here and maybe start a thread about it tomorrow or something:

Maybe it's just the angle you took the picture at... but is that fretboard chromed? What the hell?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

TheDingo posted:

Maybe it's just the angle you took the picture at... but is that fretboard chromed? What the hell?

http://www.baileycustomguitar.com/PIX.html

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

I was just looking at your thread on ShortScale.....awesome! Wonder how it's gonna sound...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Wow. I guess I'll ask the obvious question, isn't that going to scratch all to hell the second you start bending a wound string on it?

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

I had absolutely no intention on buying any new guitars for awhile, but I stumbled on a couple clearance deals that brought these two to my door (pictured in front of some of the rest of the fleet)-

On the left is my new Gretsch Americana 3/4 scale acoustic - plays awesome for the $30 shipped it cost me.
On the right is my Ibanez AFS75, which is officially the the best-playing $200 guitar I've ever laid hands on (and I'd say worth way more).

Do you legitimately use all of those? Because if so that is rad as gently caress. If not...still rad as gently caress for being economical.

Also, Handen, that thing looks like i belongs in a glass case on the wall not in your arsenal. But what good i a loving awesome guitar if it sits in its case huh? I trust you will do it justice. I have a purple strat that i am putting new pickups and pickguard (and knobs, all black) on that will maybe look vaguely familiar to that when im done, maybe, if i am lucky.

Nosir fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 22, 2008

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

This just arrived. :dance:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

The action is terrific. No features to speak of, but woah, it feels like a real piano!
I don't play my old upright piano anymore, this thing is way better. Simply amazing for 400€.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
As a left-handed guitarist, I own a bunch of left-handed guitars, but I couldn't resist this right-handed guitar converted to left-handed (the hard way).

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Actuary X posted:

As a left-handed guitarist, I own a bunch of left-handed guitars, but I couldn't resist this right-handed guitar converted to left-handed (the hard way).

brilliant! How is it to play standing up though?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Thoogsby posted:

Needs a Korg pad.

Nah, I'm hoping to have the guitar itself act as a MIDI controller so I don't need something like that.

Rashomon posted:

I was just looking at your thread on ShortScale.....awesome! Wonder how it's gonna sound...

Here's what the Q-Tuner sounded like in my blue Jag:

handen posted:

Here's some quick crap thrown together. It's all the Q-Tuner until about 1:25 when I switch to the neck Dimarzio Super II, then I switch back to Q-Tuner at 1:52.

Click here to listen!

It's a bit staticky at times cuz I gotta ground it all better. :(

TheDingo posted:

Wow. I guess I'll ask the obvious question, isn't that going to scratch all to hell the second you start bending a wound string on it?

I've only had it partially strung up but the strings seem to glide around effortlessly without scratching it too much. I guess we'll see once I start playing it heavily.

Nosir posted:

Also, Handen, that thing looks like i belongs in a glass case on the wall not in your arsenal. But what good i a loving awesome guitar if it sits in its case huh? I trust you will do it justice. I have a purple strat that i am putting new pickups and pickguard (and knobs, all black) on that will maybe look vaguely familiar to that when im done, maybe, if i am lucky.

It's not about looks, it's about what's on the inside. :shobon: This inspirational message brought to you by Kelloggs Raisin Bran.™

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Nosir posted:

Do you legitimately use all of those? Because if so that is rad as gently caress. If not...still rad as gently caress for being economical.

Yeah, that's actually not even all of them - most of my acoustics aren't in that picture (2 Dreadnaughts, a baritone, and a 12-string). I don't use them all as regularly as I'd like to, but they all have their purpose. My wife thinks I'm kinda obsessed, but it's not really all that much when you consider that the majority of them were really cheap - most of were under $200, some $100. I love finding 'em cheap and then fixing them up.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

carborexic posted:

This just arrived. :dance:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Wish I had room for something that big :(

After further testing I decided against the Korg NanoKey and bought the CME M-Key instead (approx 90€ new), and.. yea. I need more room.

It's impossible to get better, smoother, nicer semi-weighed action for less unless you get a great deal on some old synth. These days a lot of people are wondering what midi keyboards to pick up and I think this is it, midi out over USB (shows up as a device in every program I've tried so far), regular midi out port, two pedals, the joystick action isn't that bad after all compared to the wheels or joysticks we're used to, it's a fine lightweight compact piece with fullsize keys with a DVD filled with a lot of VSTs and software pieces.

Giving it 5/5 for those on a tight budget like me. If I had any use for its bigger brother U-Key I'd have taken it instead for an extra 50€, same package deal but with more controllers (pads, knobs, buttons), built in sound, everything - http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-U-Key.html

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
Well, this is kind of a purchase. I posted earlier about the cymbals I got for my drums. Now I am refinishing the drums themselves. They are a Pearl Form set, in blackish-green. The drums are wrapped, not painted, so I took the wraps off and I am putting a clearcoat on the sanded birch. This is the before (ignore the snare, I did that one already):

And I don't quite have an after, but these are the drums hanging in my garage after 4 coats of clearcoat with 1 or 2 more coming later today:

I'm hoping to have them 100% dry by tomorrow.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Here is my most recent purchase.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

What do you guys think of the CIJ Jazzmasters, and what do you think is a good price for one?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
It came today!

Sounds awesome, kind of like if an LP and a Tele had beautiful sex.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rashomon posted:

What do you guys think of the CIJ Jazzmasters, and what do you think is a good price for one?

What year/colour/specs?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Handen posted:

What year/colour/specs?

Preferably one with a matching headstock in Candy Apple Red or Lake Placid Blue. I don't know about the difference between years, could you enlighten me or point me to a place where I could learn a bit? All I really know at this point is that I like the Jazzmaster sound and look.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rashomon posted:

Preferably one with a matching headstock in Candy Apple Red or Lake Placid Blue. I don't know about the difference between years, could you enlighten me or point me to a place where I could learn a bit? All I really know at this point is that I like the Jazzmaster sound and look.

Like the CIJ Jags, there are '62 and '66 RI's. The only difference being the '66's have bound necks with block inlays. You'll probably wanna change the pickups out because the CIJ RI's make them completely different than American JM's.

Check out the offsetguitars.com forum for more info. Pricewise... anywhere from $500 for a used common model (CAR) to ~$900-1000 on eBay for a new '66 RI in LPB. YMMV. Depends where the seller is, too. Normally a used CIJ JM or Jag is cheapest coming from somewhere in the US, though most are sold straight out of Japan new.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Oh, so the '66 is just slightly more desirable for the fancier neck? Gotcha, thanks for the info.

cheeswhiz
Nov 21, 2003

ketchup fucking sucks

kahm posted:

Well, this is kind of a purchase. I posted earlier about the cymbals I got for my drums. Now I am refinishing the drums themselves. They are a Pearl Form set, in blackish-green. The drums are wrapped, not painted, so I took the wraps off and I am putting a clearcoat on the sanded birch. This is the before (ignore the snare, I did that one already):

And I don't quite have an after, but these are the drums hanging in my garage after 4 coats of clearcoat with 1 or 2 more coming later today:

I'm hoping to have them 100% dry by tomorrow.

Not to rain on your parade but those are poplar shells, not birch. Still a decent drumset for the money.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

woot.

Got one used, new power tubes, preamp tubes on the way.

Sounds mean.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

PoorPeteBest posted:

It came today!

Sounds awesome, kind of like if an LP and a Tele had beautiful sex.

What in the world is that thing? I've never seen a gibson like that before.

kahm
May 13, 2004

cheeswhiz posted:

Not to rain on your parade but those are poplar shells, not birch. Still a decent drumset for the money.

You know, I knew it couldn't be true. Thanks for this, I do appreciate the info. Anyway, this is how they came out, I'm really happy with them:

I wasn't going for the super shiny look. I'm stoked on how these came out. And for xmas I have a Gretsch catalina snare coming! Good times.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

kahm posted:

sweet rear end drums

Man, I envy you. I can't wait to see what this thread has in store over the next two days. It's Christmas ya'll!

hopefully I'll post something too :(

cheeswhiz
Nov 21, 2003

ketchup fucking sucks

kahm posted:

You know, I knew it couldn't be true. Thanks for this, I do appreciate the info. Anyway, this is how they came out, I'm really happy with them:

I wasn't going for the super shiny look. I'm stoked on how these came out. And for xmas I have a Gretsch catalina snare coming! Good times.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Shell material does make a difference, but probably not as much as the drum companies want us to believe. I'd say build quality is more important and it looks to be built pretty well.

If you're not planning on putting a head on the bottom of that large tom, you should. It can go out of round, and if that happens it will be impossible to tune. It's also at risk for damage to the bearing edge which would be a disaster. Once the bearing edge goes bad, you can send the drum out to have the edges recut, or you can throw the drum away, because that thing will never sound right with messed up edges.

The kit looks good right now. I'm digging the natural look. If you wanted to throw just a bit more money into it, you could buy natural colored maple hoops for the bass drum, a white resonant head for the bass drum and it would look even better. Also I can't tell what the material the bass drum hoops are made of right now, but they look to be plastic. It would also improve the sound of the bass drum.

cheeswhiz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 24, 2008

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

ZombiePeanut posted:

What in the world is that thing? I've never seen a gibson like that before.

Gibson S-1. They only made them from '75 to '80 trying to compete with Fender.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/s1.php

kahm
May 13, 2004

cheeswhiz posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Shell material does make a difference, but probably not as much as the drum companies want us to believe. I'd say build quality is more important and it looks to be built pretty well.

If you're not planning on putting a head on the bottom of that large tom, you should. It can go out of round, and if that happens it will be impossible to tune. It's also at risk for damage to the bearing edge which would be a disaster. Once the bearing edge goes bad, you can send the drum out to have the edges recut, or you can throw the drum away, because that thing will never sound right with messed up edges.

The kit looks good right now. I'm digging the natural look. If you wanted to throw just a bit more money into it, you could buy natural colored maple hoops for the bass drum, a white resonant head for the bass drum and it would look even better. Also I can't tell what the material the bass drum hoops are made of right now, but they look to be plastic. It would also improve the sound of the bass drum.

Cool! I agree. I do like bright sounding drums, and birch is supposed to be brighter, but I couldn't tell the difference too much. I am definatley going to put a head on the bottom of that tom, the one that was on there had a hole put in it. Just gotta purchase one. Sounds like rear end without it too. I wanted to get wood hoops, but they seem to be mega bucks. The bass drum hoops are metal with a shiny plastic wrap around it that I couldn't get off. Those will be the next things I change.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

kahm posted:

Cool! I agree. I do like bright sounding drums, and birch is supposed to be brighter, but I couldn't tell the difference too much. I am definatley going to put a head on the bottom of that tom, the one that was on there had a hole put in it. Just gotta purchase one. Sounds like rear end without it too. I wanted to get wood hoops, but they seem to be mega bucks. The bass drum hoops are metal with a shiny plastic wrap around it that I couldn't get off. Those will be the next things I change.

What size is that bass drum? I have some 22 inch wood hoops in great condition I'd like to sell...

kahm
May 13, 2004

grahm posted:

What size is that bass drum? I have some 22 inch wood hoops in great condition I'd like to sell...

It's a 22. I'll shoot you a pm!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

A present for me this year:

Very unique pedal, neither sounds nor plays/feels/responds like any other pedal in my substantial collection. I know I was saying a few days ago that it's time to thin the herd, but I really wanted to get my hands on this one. I tried it for more than an hour before settling on it, then brought it home and wrapped it up. I like the features, and I like the sound... The tone knob has a poo poo load of treble on tap, I keep it at 10 o'clock or so for best results. Definitely not for bright amps!

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

A present for me this year:

Neat. I love how're already justifying this purchase in the face of what you said a few days ago before anyone has called you on it yet. I'll say it first just to get it out of the way: You have GAS. There. Please don't stop or anything.

I would love to hear some clips of this one, it sounds cool. I'm a sucker for really bright overdrives - I use pretty dark sounding guitars into a pretty dark amp with a couple of rather bright overdrives in the middle and I've got myself convinced that it's the most important element of my signature dirty sound.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

keyframe posted:

Here is my most recent purchase.

Hey you finally got it!

I remember talking to you about it months and months ago. How are the rubber pads? I went with all mesh for mine. Also, that Tight Hit kit (#9) is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Timage posted:

Hey you finally got it!

I remember talking to you about it months and months ago. How are the rubber pads? I went with all mesh for mine. Also, that Tight Hit kit (#9) is awesome.

Yes man I know! took me a while but oh I love it so much <3.

I am slowly going to turn mine into yours, meanwhile though the Rubber pads are pretty cool. They have the right amount of bounce and feel so I am not complaining. Would love to go mesh asap for sound reasons though, the rubber pads are too loud imo.

By the way have you seen this before?:

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

They have custom kits for all the TD series. The people at vdrum forums seem to be super happy with it but I havent checked it out yet. Might do an impulse purchase at some point.