Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yeah, buy the manual. You need to change gears yourself to deal with the lag (which isn't major but it's there) and as long as you don't do stupid things like clutch drops at 5000 rpm it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

taqueso posted:

My mistake. I don't know if they will rub first hand, but google reports they will work fine. (Les Schwab is a tire store, apparently only in the NW)

I'm goign to see if Town Fair Tire (which I think is probably like Les Schwab) will do the tire changeover free or something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TurboLuvah posted:

I'm goign to see if Town Fair Tire (which I think is probably like Les Schwab) will do the tire changeover free or something.

The free swap service is only if they are already mounted on wheels, at least as schwab. Amazingly, they do mine for free even though I didn't buy the tires there and told them so.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The price on the manual is so good that I would buy it today if I could drive it. I'm really trying to scamble up someone to teach me the basics but of my two friends with a manual one got tboned the day before we were going to drive it all day and the other lives 2 hours away and is out of town for Christmas. Hopefully he can teach me Sunday. I looked all around Raleigh to rent a manual car and let my dad teach me but there isn't anywhere that rents them that I can find. Probably for this very reason

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lando posted:

gently caress you. We dont get fun stuff like that:(

Easier link to demigod sti:
http://litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru_type20.asp?shopmenu=2

Why can't one of the big Subie shops in the US do something like that? It's not like there's any inherent flaw with the USDM 2.5 motor, right?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

kimbo305 posted:

Why can't one of the big Subie shops in the US do something like that? It's not like there's any inherent flaw with the USDM 2.5 motor, right?

I have been wishing for a Cobb version STi since I got my plumbing done. They really should sell a car that way.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just got back from riding in the 9-2x and it was awesome. My dad drove it and loved it. Before he wanted me to get the automatic one for sale 100 miles away if I decided on the Saab, but after he was like "get this in manual."

I think I might buy it tonight.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ribsauce posted:

I just got back from riding in the 9-2x and it was awesome. My dad drove it and loved it. Before he wanted me to get the automatic one for sale 100 miles away if I decided on the Saab, but after he was like "get this in manual."

I think I might buy it tonight.

Welcome to the club. Do you know about https://www.saab92x.com

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Is the Japanese spec engine not legal over here?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Dr JonboyG posted:

Welcome to the club. Do you know about https://www.saab92x.com
Yea that site really helped lock in the decision. I just made an offer and am waiting for the runaround "talking to my manager" callback

edit

Check out my new drivers seat

edit

What kind of Yakima/Thule roof rack should I get for bikes, kayaks, and surfboards? I don't really know about them as I always had a hitch bike rack and ran my surfboard through the rear window and back of my pathfinder.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 24, 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dr JonboyG posted:

Is the Japanese spec engine not legal over here?

It might be on the aftermarket, but I was just curious if there the 2.5 was fundamentally less easy to tune or inferior at peak tuned performance.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ribsauce posted:

Yea that site really helped lock in the decision. I just made an offer and am waiting for the runaround "talking to my manager" callback

edit

Check out my new drivers seat

edit

What kind of Yakima/Thule roof rack should I get for bikes, kayaks, and surfboards? I don't really know about them as I always had a hitch bike rack and ran my surfboard through the rear window and back of my pathfinder.

Welcome to the (relatively exclusive) club :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm reading through this thread now and see you have a tint on all your windows (page 9). My windows have zero tint right now. I want to at least tint the trunk because I don't want all my stuff sitting out easy to see. I'll probably do a wrap around tint like you. What percentage tint did you get and how much did it cost if you did it aftermarket? Where did you go? I don't think I want one that dark but I have no clue how tinting a window works.

Also my logo on the front hood is worn down close to nothing. Can I get a new one somehow?

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 24, 2008

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

Also my logo on the front hood is worn down close to nothing. Can I get a new one somehow?

Yes - get in touch with a Saab dealer and you should be able to to get one under warranty, although it might have expired now.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

Ribsauce posted:

The price on the manual is so good that I would buy it today if I could drive it. I'm really trying to scamble up someone to teach me the basics but of my two friends with a manual one got tboned the day before we were going to drive it all day and the other lives 2 hours away and is out of town for Christmas. Hopefully he can teach me Sunday. I looked all around Raleigh to rent a manual car and let my dad teach me but there isn't anywhere that rents them that I can find. Probably for this very reason

I learned to drive manual in my new-to-me car when I was driving it home from the dealer's lot. If I can do it, you can. Just look up the theory on the internet and make sure you understand it, the rest is just feel.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

The same reason that cars in the US have 2 or 3 engine/trans combos will have 8 or 9 in other countries - every single version needs to be tested for emissions, fleet fuel economy, crash(?), etc.

Notice that all these hopped up Evos and STis are available in the UK, because as far as I can tell, Britain is the LF of the car world. I don't exactly know how their regulations work, but basically it looks like if you strap a leaf blower to a shopping cart, you can probably get a plate for it in Britain.

A WRX with some new turbo plumbing isn't so exciting when your neighbors are driving to work in what appears to be street legal LMP2 prototypes, :eng99:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The same reason that cars in the US have 2 or 3 engine/trans combos will have 8 or 9 in other countries - every single version needs to be tested for emissions, fleet fuel economy, crash(?), etc.

I'm pretty sure most US states wouldn't blink an eye at you sending your STi into a shop for a bout of engine, suspension, and tune upgrades. It might be a little trickier to get approval to sell the cars as new.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It might be on the aftermarket, but I was just curious if there the 2.5 was fundamentally less easy to tune or inferior at peak tuned performance.

The 2.0 JDM and 2.5 USDM run the same basic engine management. Both awesome, both are easier than poo poo to tune.

You want hard to tune, try a Prodrive-Pectel ECU. It has left-foot braking tables for the DCCD controller. I tried learning it to no avail.

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
Another awd turbo convert arrives, I've just picked up a MY01 STi hatch (pics to come after a boxing day groom) and I'm in love. 44,000mi and the only mods seem to be braided brake hoses and a very heavy duty clutch.

Any new owner tips on offer aside from get my camera out asap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
.... And it's finally at it's new home. One 2004 STI with one rally under it's belt to join the other three rally cars, two WRX's and an RX7 that are currently residing at my home.

Dont look like much on the outside.

But where the VR4 is struggling to make third gear, this monster is in fifth and acclerating hard. 2 litre JDM engine (brand new) Group N PWRC motor, all sorts of good diffs (No DCCD, not bothered for now), DMS, all sorts of other Group N goodies....

And doing some testing today, it's just plain gonna kill me unless I adjust my driving to suit. The diff setup is very unlike anything I've tried before. Picked up this plus bumpers, 10 Compomotives + tyres and a STI short block for 30,000 AUD (Just a tick over 20K USD). Not bad for soemthing I dont have to spend another cent on to go rallying and considerably faster than the old car.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Cat Terrist posted:

.... And it's finally at it's new home. One 2004 STI with one rally under it's belt to join the other three rally cars, two WRX's and an RX7 that are currently residing at my home.

But where the VR4 is struggling to make third gear, this monster is in fifth and acclerating hard. 2 litre JDM engine (brand new) Group N PWRC motor, all sorts of good diffs (No DCCD, not bothered for now), DMS, all sorts of other Group N goodies....

And doing some testing today, it's just plain gonna kill me unless I adjust my driving to suit. The diff setup is very unlike anything I've tried before. Picked up this plus bumpers, 10 Compomotives + tyres and a STI short block for 30,000 AUD (Just a tick over 20K USD). Not bad for soemthing I dont have to spend another cent on to go rallying and considerably faster than the old car.
drat it, youre an aussie. I saw 2004 sti being used for rally, and was going to see if you were local enough for me to get those gold bbs's for a deal :(

On a lighter note, I installed a set of Hella Supertones in the 07 wrx today :D Pretty happy, and they are pretty loud. Bit of a pain in the rear end to mount in a 07 though. I was trying to follow a bugeye guide, but ugh..grill and radiator mount is different, so couldnt use the convenient to bugeye holes.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
An STI + terrible weather is a recipe for amazing fun times.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TeMpLaR posted:

An STI + terrible weather is a recipe for amazing fun times.

I discovered yesterday that if you go WOT on really deep snow there will be a delay of about 2 seconds as all four tires dig down through a couple of inches of snow and then you'll take off. Its about the most cartoony fun you can possibly have with a car.

8ender fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 24, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

8ender posted:

I discovered yesterday that if you go WOT on really deep snow there will be a delay of about 2 seconds as all four tires dig down through a couple of inches of snow and then you'll take off. Its about the funnest and most cartoony fun you can possibly have with a car.

If you have god snow tires try this. Bring the revs up to like 4k in the snow, and just sidestep the clutch, you'll spin and then just take off like a freight train :q:

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

TurboLuvah posted:

If you have god snow tires :q:

I don't know if these qualify as God snow tires, but they are pretty awesome.

Continental ContiWinterContact
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiWinterContact+TS810

PS: Move DCCD to full open, take turn. Slide sideways, move to full lock, go forward while sliding sideways.

TeMpLaR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 24, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TeMpLaR posted:

I don't know if these qualify as God snow tires, but they are pretty awesome.

I have these:

Goodyear Ultragrip 500
http://eu.goodyear.com/middle_east_en/tires/repository/UltraGrip500/index.jsp

They are branded as Goodyear Nordic in Canada and are available at Canadian Tire. Fantastic tire in any snow or ice. Loud as gently caress on dry pavement.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

TurboLuvah posted:

These Nokians were worth every penny. I forgot how awesome they are in the snow, especially when it comes to braking.
Are these studded? Does anyone here use studded tires?

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Are these studded? Does anyone here use studded tires?

Studded tires won't do you any good in deep snow, they're purely for ice traction. Many of the Nokian tires are available with/without studding.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Dude! Awesome! I work on rallycars here in the states. Let me know if you need any help.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

8ender posted:

I discovered yesterday that if you go WOT on really deep snow there will be a delay of about 2 seconds as all four tires dig down through a couple of inches of snow and then you'll take off. Its about the funnest and most cartoony fun you can possibly have with a car.

My girlfriend (I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND AMAZING SHE'S SO HO...) call's it the rubber band.

I made her puke once last winter :(

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just drove the Saab around for a while and it is pretty awesome. I'm pretty terrible at the manual transmission starting at a standstill but I can get the 2nd and 3rd gear alright and reverse at least mediocre. I can't wait to get good at it because I can already tell this car is going to be a blast to drive

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
Does anyone know if the parcel tray in a MY01-02 Impreza Hatch is the same as in the MY03-05? Thanks

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just went tearing around town in the Saabaru. We've had ~9 days of snow, ice, snow and today was the first day above freezing so there's tons of deep ruts and drifts. I never felt like I was anywhere near getting stuck. If anything I was being too liberal in gassing it over/through bumps but it felt pretty comfortable by the end.

I think I gave my suspension a much bigger workout than I did my traction control or ABS. Some of the ruts on backroads or along the light-rail tracks were really deep. I was scraping bottom a good number of times.

man I love this car. I can't imagine how well it would have handled if I'd actually had chains on.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

MMD3 posted:

man I love this car. I can't imagine how well it would have handled if I'd actually had chains on.
Subaru discourages the use of chains. They might not even fit - the 9-2 has 205-55-16 tires, right? It's pretty tight with those wheels and tires, especially on the back.

Good snow tires are all you need. I just use cheap, unstudded Hankooks, but studless Blizzaks are great (and don't wear down nearly as fast as people think). If it's so deep that the car can't move, chains won't help either.

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

jailbait#3 posted:

Subaru discourages the use of chains. They might not even fit - the 9-2 has 205-55-16 tires, right? It's pretty tight with those wheels and tires, especially on the back.

Good snow tires are all you need. I just use cheap, unstudded Hankooks, but studless Blizzaks are great (and don't wear down nearly as fast as people think). If it's so deep that the car can't move, chains won't help either.

You don't even need snows on a Subaru under most conditions. I run cheap Hankook all seasons in winters that would make most people have an aneurysm and I don't have any problems. It's all a matter of learning how to drive it properly in the winter.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MMD3 posted:

I just went tearing around town in the Saabaru

man I love this car.
I can drive the manual pretty close to competent now. I drove about 3 hours and only stalled twice. You are correct, this car rules. I love the Saabaru. Thanks to this thread for the couple of posts answering my questions and helping me to decide to purchase it.

Does anyone know the best way to install Sirius? I have an external radio in my Pathfinder and wires run all over and it is way messy. I would like my new car to have a clean install if possible.

Also, 48" crossbars on the roof rack, correct? I was going to get a Yakima or Thule for a bike/surfboard/kayak. Is one better than the other? I've never owned a roof rack before. Do you install them yourselves or go to a shop?

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 25, 2008

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

littlehulkster posted:

You don't even need snows on a Subaru under most conditions. I run cheap Hankook all seasons in winters that would make most people have an aneurysm and I don't have any problems. It's all a matter of learning how to drive it properly in the winter.

Except for, you know, stopping. Winter tires will always improve things and stopping is usually a lot more important than quickly taking off from a red light mid winter.

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ScaryFast posted:

Except for, you know, stopping. Winter tires will always improve things and stopping is usually a lot more important than quickly taking off from a red light mid winter.

If you anticipate routine stops and don't drive like a retard it's not a problem. All you have to do is slow down and use engine braking until the end. People are in love with the brake pedal though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

littlehulkster posted:

If you anticipate routine stops and don't drive like a retard it's not a problem.

In most cases, driving with good AWD and all seasons will not be a problem. However, that doesn't discount that your traction will still be better with winter tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

kimbo305 posted:

In most cases, driving with good AWD and all seasons will not be a problem. However, that doesn't discount that your traction will still be better with winter tires.

Yeah, it will be better.

I'm just saying that if you're not a total retard it's not really a problem to get by in all but the most extreme conditions, in which you really shouldn't be driving anyway.