Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Sounder posted:

Good news, testdisk found a corrupted boot sector, then offered to write a new one. After finishing, I rebooted and got Windows back.

You just saved yourself from having to use linux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

NZAmoeba posted:

You just saved yourself from having to use linux!

I hear you need to use DOS in linux a lot!

moros
Dec 18, 2005

the power of love is a curious thing

waffle iron posted:

You need to tell us if the computer reboots before or after it POSTs. If it's after, you should be fine.

It's actually in the middle of installing XP. When I turn it on, it first shows the BIOS boot screen. It then goes to a OS Choices menu with two options: Microsoft XP Home edition and cancel installation, and then at the bottom it says press F8 for troubleshooting. If I select cancel installation it goes to a XP uninstall screen, and after a minute or so it reboots with no change. If I select XP home edition it spends a little time detecting hardware then goes to the XP loading screen (like you see when a working version of XP is booting up with the little load bar) and then goes to a XP installation progress screen, where it's on the preparing installation step(3rd of 5). Here it is unresponsive to anything I do, and eventually reboots. If I press F8 (at the OS choices menu) it goes to a menu with options such as safe mode, last good configuration, boot logging and stuff like that, but whatever I select the results are the same as selecting XP home edition at the OS Choices Menu.

So basically nothing I can do changes anything, and the computer is stuck in an endless cycle.

So my thinking was if I plugged in the HD to a working computer, I could use that computer to wipe the HD, install linux, and be good to go.

I'm not sure what POSTing is, so can't really tell you about that.

Edit:
While further messing around with it, I managed to get to a CMOS Setup Utility screen from the BIOS boot screen. There are a good number of options, but I don't really know what I'm looking at here. The first two are Standard CMOS features and Advanced BIOS features, neither of which seem too helpful after a cursory examination. The rest of the options also appear not too helpful.

moros fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 24, 2008

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You don't need a different computer to install Linux or any bullshit you for some reason think in necessary. Just an install CD/DVD and for the CD/DVD drive to be the first boot device.

parmanaut
Jul 31, 2004
GRADIUSIC
Okay, I'd like to format my computer and use my iPod as an external hard drive to store all my music and such while I do that. I know that basically any GNOME media player can pull tracks off of an iPod, but I'm wondering if there's any way to recover them into a coherent /Artist/Year - Album/ directory structure?

OR should I just delete all the music from my iPod and simply drag my Music folder onto the iPod, and then drag the music files onto my newly-formatted system, then reformat my iPod properly?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

dj.TAKA posted:

Okay, I'd like to format my computer and use my iPod as an external hard drive to store all my music and such while I do that. I know that basically any GNOME media player can pull tracks off of an iPod, but I'm wondering if there's any way to recover them into a coherent /Artist/Year - Album/ directory structure?

OR should I just delete all the music from my iPod and simply drag my Music folder onto the iPod, and then drag the music files onto my newly-formatted system, then reformat my iPod properly?

Amarok makes this pretty painless. I've used it to do this (on an mp3 player which uses MTP). You can either rename the tags of the files in place or use amarok to move the files to new filenames generated from the tags.

tripwire fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 24, 2008

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
After being really impressed with backup schemes such as time machine on OSX and Time Slider on Opensolaris, I was wondering if anything similar exists for Linux. I've tried googling and have seen some things, but they all look like they are alpha software in heavy development.

What does everyone recommend for this style of incremental backups on Linux?

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK
I encounter a weird behaviour of gnome-terminal:

Setting the terminal background to be transparent in the profile it applies a fake transparency by tinting the wallpaper and using it as the background.
If I start the terminal as root however it is actually transparent, showing the windows behind it, even though the settings are exactly the same it seems!

Terminal on the left is started with my user privileges, and the right terminal is started as root.

How do I get the same result in my terminals?

Also as you can see the root terminal doesn't use my gnome-appearance settings (buttons and toolbar), even though I set it with sudo gnome-appearance as well...

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

moros posted:

So my box does not have a stable OS from which to install linux

So my thinking was if I plugged in the HD to a working computer, I could use that computer to wipe the HD, install linux, and be good to go.

I'm not sure what POSTing is, so can't really tell you about that.

Do not install Linux. You don't know enough about computers.

I'm not being a dick, I'm being honest. If you can't figure out that you do not need a working Windows installation to install Linux (and are even ready to go so far as to remove the hard drive and put it in a different machine just to format it), you're going to HATE Linux and it will be pretty much unusable for you.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Supersonic posted:

After being really impressed with backup schemes such as time machine on OSX and Time Slider on Opensolaris, I was wondering if anything similar exists for Linux. I've tried googling and have seen some things, but they all look like they are alpha software in heavy development.

You can use cron to do a timed mkdir of a backup folder on your backup drive/disc/whatever and then copy the files you want to back up. rsync might be good for that.

MaberMK
Feb 1, 2008

BFFs

Supersonic posted:

http://www.dirvish.org/

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

MaberMK posted:

http://www.dirvish.org/

This is what we use at work. Very simple rsync frontend, and it's awesome because it uses hardlinking for incrementals, which means you can have multiple days worth of backups, each of which are completely navigable and useable, but you are not dinged on space for having duplicates of the same files. You can also easily set up a Hanoi configuration, or just do what we do and keep monthly backups forever and daily backups for 30 days.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Accipiter posted:

Do not install Linux. You don't know enough about computers.

I'm not being a dick, I'm being honest. If you can't figure out that you do not need a working Windows installation to install Linux (and are even ready to go so far as to remove the hard drive and put it in a different machine just to format it), you're going to HATE Linux and it will be pretty much unusable for you.
This is being a dick. Sure, he lacks knowledge, but as long as he's willing to try I see no harm. As long as he's willing to learn, he might enjoy it.

MaberMK
Feb 1, 2008

BFFs

Eyecannon posted:

This is what we use at work. Very simple rsync frontend, and it's awesome because it uses hardlinking for incrementals, which means you can have multiple days worth of backups, each of which are completely navigable and useable, but you are not dinged on space for having duplicates of the same files. You can also easily set up a Hanoi configuration, or just do what we do and keep monthly backups forever and daily backups for 30 days.

Pretty much what I would have said, but I got in a hurry.

If you happen to know what Veritas NetBackup is, this is like a free NetBackup lite. A complete backup solution that's easy to use.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I IM a lot, and I like to use finch remotely, using ssh and screen. Is there anyway I can it up so that I get new message notifications on my desktop or somewhere noticeable, instead of having to go to the terminal tab that has my remote screen in it to check?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Noah posted:

I IM a lot, and I like to use finch remotely, using ssh and screen. Is there anyway I can it up so that I get new message notifications on my desktop or somewhere noticeable, instead of having to go to the terminal tab that has my remote screen in it to check?
I was thinking something similar with irssi and screen, but I dunno. It would perhaps work by using dbus and ssh, but I have no idea how.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I'm having an odd issue with my AAO running Intrepid, like to get it resolved if possible.

Whenever I unplug or replug the power, an OSD window pops up and just sticks in the middle of the screen for 2 or 3 minutes - it doesn't display any information and as often as not, it catches whatever is behind it and keeps that look for the whole time. I'd like to either fix this or have some way to disable the OSD from Intrepid. Didn't happen under Hardy as I remember it.

Any ideas?

TesticledRat
Mar 24, 2003
Has anyone checked out this possible notifications/alerts feature in 9.04?

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253

I think it would be pretty cool to have assuming they make it an optional feature like everything else in ubuntu.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

TesticledRat posted:

Has anyone checked out this possible notifications/alerts feature in 9.04?

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253

I think it would be pretty cool to have assuming they make it an optional feature like everything else in ubuntu.

Yeah, it looks like a pretty libnotify client. Didn't really see what was so special about it.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
I installed intrepid ibex on an old athlon xp 2500 with a lovely geforce 5200 and surprisingly compiz works pretty drat smoothly. However, about 3/5 times booting up the computer will hard lock just after login but before the desktop wallpaper appears.

Checking in the system log this seems to happen just after switching from agp 2 to agp 4 mode. Is this just a result of an old lovely video card, a bug or what?

Weirdly, sometimes rather than hard locking it will log in without graphical acceleration- when I try to check if compiz is running with ps I'm surprised to find that ps doesn't even return! It just gets through listing a few processes and then hangs in limbo.

On the occasions where it does load correctly, the graphical effects work just fine and it seems to be perfectly stable, its just a bitch to get it into that state after you power down. Anyone have any advice?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Noah posted:

Hey, there's a Pidgin user survey going on, maybe you could suggest some kind of a slave feature to connect to remote instances of Pidgin/Finch.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Someone please help me!

Long ago I wrote two simple udev rules to make /dev/ipod when I plug in an ipod and /dev/usbdrive when I plug in . . .a usbdrive. It all worked very nicely.

Then at some point udev or hald has been updated and now hald seems to "grab" all these devices when they are plugged in and very rudely put them in a /media directory without mounting them with all the nice options I had setup for these devices to be mounted with in my fstab.

So I stopped the hal daemon, but my /dev/usbdrive/ipod devices were still not being created. To make matters worse, when I go back into X windows without the hald running my keyboard and mouse both cease to function!

Two questions:

1. How do I stop hald from mounting poo poo for me? Or, can I at least have hald mount vfat devices with defined umask and dmask and uid and gid etc?

2. Since when did my keyboard/mouse functionality start depending on hald? What did I do to gently caress this up and how can I fix it?

Thank you.

ps. My udev rules:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="05ac", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1301", NAME="ipod"
BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="05ac", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1262", NAME{all_partitions}="ipod"
BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0781", SYSFS{idProduct}=="a3a4", NAME="usbdrive/%n"
BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0781", SYSFS{idProduct}=="a7a8", NAME="usbdrive/%n"

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

1. How do I stop hald from mounting poo poo for me? Or, can I at least have hald mount vfat devices with defined umask and dmask and uid and gid etc?

2. Since when did my keyboard/mouse functionality start depending on hald? What did I do to gently caress this up and how can I fix it?
I have no idea about the first question, but the answer to the second one is that with the latest Xorg, it uses HAL to detect and setup the keyboard and mouse (And any other input devices). It's to enable real hotplugging. You can disable it if you don't want it by using this how-to.

This should enable you to use Xorg without HAL.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

jegHegy posted:

Hey, there's a Pidgin user survey going on, maybe you could suggest some kind of a slave feature to connect to remote instances of Pidgin/Finch.

thanks for the heads up, I sugggested something.

Emulated_Reality
Nov 25, 2008

"The Wired is just a medium of communication and the transfer of information. You mustn't confuse it with the real world."
hey I am running Ubuntu and just got a Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW but cannot get the driver to install. The CD wont boot either, as expected, so I cannot get it off that. Any help would be great, thanks.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Emulated_Reality posted:

hey I am running Ubuntu and just got a Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW but cannot get the driver to install. The CD wont boot either, as expected, so I cannot get it off that. Any help would be great, thanks.

What driver we talking about?

Emulated_Reality
Nov 25, 2008

"The Wired is just a medium of communication and the transfer of information. You mustn't confuse it with the real world."

Ashex posted:

What driver we talking about?

well, thats just it. I have no idea what to even look for. I was hoping for a simple install and have it up in running in a few mins but it didnt work out. Im really not that good with hardware.....

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Emulated_Reality posted:

well, thats just it. I have no idea what to even look for. I was hoping for a simple install and have it up in running in a few mins but it didnt work out. Im really not that good with hardware.....

You don't need a driver for your new monitor. Just plug it in.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

edit

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 15, 2009

Emulated_Reality
Nov 25, 2008

ShoulderDaemon posted:

You don't need a driver for your new monitor. Just plug it in.

Well this is not working, The Samsung site says i need the x86confing file, but cannot find it...

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Emulated_Reality posted:

Well this is not working, The Samsung site says i need the x86confing file, but cannot find it...

Don't follow any more instructions on the Samsung site. Does the Ubuntu graphics safe mode thing not work?

moros
Dec 18, 2005

waffle iron posted:

You don't need a different computer to install Linux or any bullshit you for some reason think in necessary. Just an install CD/DVD and for the CD/DVD drive to be the first boot device.

Thanks, that was helpful. I've never messed with installing an OS before, and didn't understand how the BIOS worked.

Now I'm stuck in a different spot. I'm trying to install openSUSE 11.1, but after following all the setup prompts, the install locks up. After trying a couple times, I haven't got past 54%. I told it delete the windows partition, and the HD is 40gb, so there should be plenty of room for the install.

My computer could just be too old for this distribution. Its from 2000, and has a Ghz AMD Athlon processor with 256mb of RAM. openSUSE of course detects all that and doesn't raise a problem, but it still hasn't successfully installed.

Any suggestions, in either getting openSUSE to install properly or another distribution to try (small web server for development purposes), would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

edit:
I did successfully get the livecd version of openSUSE up and running, but didn't try the live install because it recommended 1 GB of ram or greater.

moros fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 27, 2008

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

moros posted:

256mb of RAM
Try Xubuntu.

moros
Dec 18, 2005

jegHegy posted:

Try Xubuntu.

Thanks, tryin it now.

edit:
Yeah it worked perfectly, my now working computer thanks you. Now to learn about linux!

moros fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 28, 2008

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I have ubuntu server gusty, with the 2.6.22-16-server kernal. I have an ATI RadeonHD 3450 card in there that is working just fine for video. I only have X11 installed and just use that for xbox media center. That all works great.

But I just found out that that video card can push audio through HDMI, which would be fantastic. But I can't get it to show up as an audio device for the life of me. Only the onboard sound shows up

code:
$ asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards:
Intel
$ aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    Default Audio Device
# and several other intel ones...
But it does show up as a device when you do this:
code:
$ lspci -v
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa28
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device aa28
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
	Memory at fddfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
	Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
I've done a lot of searching on this, and everyone else gets it to show up in aplay -l before they have whatever problems they're posting about.

Any ideas? I could try upgrading to whatever the newest one is, but I've never had that go without a huge number of problems. Then again, I've always tried it on desktops and I don't have all that much installed on this....

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Intrepid is using 2.6.27... I'd give that a shot. My desktop machine dist-upgrade had no problems and I had a bunch of stuff installed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GNOME on Fedora 10

How do I make a virtual desktop? I'm running 1024x600 and can't use a lot of the menus. Scrolling around at 1280x1024 would be great.

It appears they took the xorg.conf out.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

GNOME on Fedora 10

How do I make a virtual desktop? I'm running 1024x600 and can't use a lot of the menus. Scrolling around at 1280x1024 would be great.

Not sure exactly what you want but xrandr might be worth looking at.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

GNOME on Fedora 10

Default is running without the config, but you can just make your own. Then just add the desired resolution under Virtual in the Monitor or Display section I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Every time I install a new version of Ubuntu on my laptop there's always one of two things not working properly; sound or wifi.

This time in 8.10 it's wifi. I can see wireless networks but it refuses to connect. I check the logs of my router and I don't see any connection attempts from my laptop.

I have an Atheros AR5006EG for wireless.

What can I do?

I already tried installing madwifi but that did nothing.