Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Does anyone know of a good online tutorial for socks? I took out a pattern book from the library, but it's sort of over my head. :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
This is the hat I just finished as a gift for my boyfriend's brother-in-law:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Cuddlebottom posted:

Does anyone know of a good online tutorial for socks? I took out a pattern book from the library, but it's sort of over my head. :ssj:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

Also Ann Budd's sock knitting book is amazing. There aren't a lot of fancy patterns, but there are extensive directions about the basic sock, and instructions for 5 different sizes in 5 different gauges (4-8).

Harvey
Jul 8, 2004

Cat Whisperer
I've only been knitting a few years now, picking things up from books, websites and a lot of trial and error. I love knitting in the round, so by now I'm probably better at it than with regular single pointed needles. Knitty and Ravelry have both helped me to teach myself quite a bit. I'm also really glad I've recently stumbled upon the techknitting blog.

I haven't gone beyond making simpler things of more of the hat and scarf realm, but I'm working on being a pro with wristwarmers and fingerless gloves. Here's a recent wristwarmer project, which is pretty much the first nice thing I've made based on my own pattern:

I hope to soon progress into learning the ways of socks and sweaters, but with an art background, I'm really excited to experiment with more unusual and sculptural knitting.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Harvey, that's a cool pattern! :)

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Harvey posted:

I have been dying to try this cable pattern (I guess it's considered a cable...?) after seeing something like it on a scarf. It's so cool! Did you find it to be fairly simple? My cable experience is pretty limited.

Also, what is that yarn? I love the texture.

Harvey
Jul 8, 2004

Cat Whisperer

Aardvarklet posted:

I have been dying to try this cable pattern (I guess it's considered a cable...?) after seeing something like it on a scarf. It's so cool! Did you find it to be fairly simple? My cable experience is pretty limited.

Also, what is that yarn? I love the texture.

Thanks. I actually saw similar cables on a sweater in a store and decided I wanted to knit it. I'd never done any cables before, so I looked it up online and taught myself really quick, and easily figured out that it's really just as simple as regular cables:

Basically just make two cables which are twisting in opposite directions right next to each other. The only tricky part is when you're twisting, to make sure you keep certain stitches in front or behind the others to keep the linking chain illusion going.

Oh, and the yarn is Lamb's Pride in the worsted gauge.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Harvey posted:

Basically just make two cables which are twisting in opposite directions right next to each other. The only tricky part is when you're twisting, to make sure you keep certain stitches in front or behind the others to keep the linking chain illusion going.

Oh, and the yarn is Lamb's Pride in the worsted gauge.

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks! And I'm glad to hear Lamb's Pride looks nice when it's all knitted up--I've been wanting to try it out.

Edit: Has anyone on here ordered yarn from handpaintedyarn.com? I just read about it today. As previously mentioned I'm addicted to Malabrigo merino and this is apparently the same stuff, but cheaper...

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

jomiel posted:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/
Also Ann Budd's sock knitting book is amazing. There aren't a lot of fancy patterns, but there are extensive directions about the basic sock, and instructions for 5 different sizes in 5 different gauges (4-8).
Thank you! I never had any idea how crazy complicated socks were before this.

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD
Hey knitters, what's going on here?

On the left needle is a long-tail cast on, on the right is the knit, in the center is :confused:

I'm trying to teach myself and was practicing just the basic knit when I found the gap between my needles getting larger...and larger...and larger...
I get the impression that this isn't supposed to happen :(

What's causing it? are my cast-ons too loose/knit stitches too tight? It seems to be drawing slack from the left.

Also, what in god's name are you supposed to do with the tails once you're done casting on?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Santclair posted:

On the left needle is a long-tail cast on, on the right is the knit, in the center is :confused:

I'm trying to teach myself and was practicing just the basic knit when I found the gap between my needles getting larger...and larger...and larger...

What's causing it? are my cast-ons too loose/knit stitches too tight? It seems to be drawing slack from the left.

Also, what in god's name are you supposed to do with the tails once you're done casting on?
It might just be because of the slippery yarn you're using. Try knitting a couple more rounds and see if it evens out. As you said, it pulls from the left, and I guess the stitches over there gets really tight?

You just leave the tails until you're finished with your project, and then you weave them in. :)
You could also knit them in by using both the yarn and the end for the first 3-4 stitches, that way you don't have to weave in the end when you're done.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

Midnight Sun posted:

You could also knit them in by using both the yarn and the end for the first 3-4 stitches, that way you don't have to weave in the end when you're done.

Brilliant! I've never heard/thought of that.

Santclair, your yarn tails will need to be longer than what you have there in order to weave in. Maybe 6 inches or so. Otherwise, from what I can tell you don't have anything too funky going on there, just some unequal tension. In the end it probably won't make much of a difference other than a loop or two looks a little looser. I'd say practice with it, but... it still happens to me too. :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Santclair posted:

I don't know...do you still have the same number of stitches you cast on? I've had that happen when trying to join in the round and one of my cast on stitches gets dropped off the needles. See how it's two strands of yarn? A cast on stitch is just one strand looped through another, so if it pulled out it would probably look just like that.

It could just be tension though.

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

It could just be tension though.

Ugh, that would make sense. I've been crocheting most of my life and when I first started I had huge problems with tension, I'd have one stitch horribly tight, the next really loose.

I agree about the yarn beng too slippery, whoever said it. My roommate and I exchanged christmas presents early yesterday because I'm not gonna even be in the state come the 25th. She knows I crochet and it's been driving me nuts because I left all my needles and yarn at home, so she ran out and got me....knitting needles, because it was cheaper than crochet hooks and it's pretty much the same thing right? And some bamboo yarn because I'm all about being eco-friendly and bamboo is definitely eco-friendly!

I'll get some wool yarn and try it again.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Santclair posted:

stuff about yarn and needles

Maybe it's just me, but I really dislike plastic knitting needles in general. I seem to have tension/friction issues with them no matter what type of yarn I'm using. I could see how bamboo yarn might be especially slippery or difficult to work with on plastic. I could be totally wrong about this, though. I'm pretty new at it still.

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

Aardvarklet posted:

I seem to have tension/friction issues with them no matter what type of yarn I'm using. I could see how bamboo yarn might be especially slippery or difficult to work with on plastic.

I went and got some wool yarn and a pair of aluminum needles today. It's a little better, I'm still having some tension problems but that'll work itself out as I get btter at it.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I was going to make some socks after finals but with the recent coldwave in SF I decided to make Endpaper Mitts instead.

I've never done color work before though! Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to hold thread and carry over or whatever crazy thing I'll need?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Santclair posted:

That thing in the center, that used to happen to me ALL THE TIME. Actually the only way I got it to stop was by using a long-tail cast-on, for some reason it doesn't happen when I do it that way. Anywho, when I had trouble with that gap in the center on my first row, I always used to cast on an extra stitch and then drop it at the end. Problem solved!

Santclair
Aug 6, 2006

by angerbotSD

Look Under The Rock posted:

Anywho, when I had trouble with that gap in the center on my first row, I always used to cast on an extra stitch and then drop it at the end. Problem solved!

I'll have to try that and see if it works!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel posted:

I was going to make some socks after finals but with the recent coldwave in SF I decided to make Endpaper Mitts instead.

I've never done color work before though! Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to hold thread and carry over or whatever crazy thing I'll need?
Check out the videos on Knitting Help, I guess what you're looking for can be found under the "Advanced techniques" tab, "How to knit with 2 colors at a time". :)

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
This may be a hard question. I have a friend who is pregnant and is a vegan and general animal lover. I would like to knit her some baby things! Does anyone have any yarn suggestions for nice feeling cotton, small-scale humane animal farms that provide wool, or anything like that? I remember once her being wary of buying a wool coat, so it would have to be something that is provably from a "good" place.

Edit: VVVV I didn't think of Etsy! Thanks, that may work. Also, I guess it has something to do with why she doesn't eat eggs or milk. The animals in big factory farms are not kept in the best conditions, and don't get to have decent lives, even if they don't get eaten.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 22, 2008

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Kusaru posted:

This may be a hard question. I have a friend who is pregnant and is a vegan and general animal lover. I would like to knit her some baby things! Does anyone have any yarn suggestions for nice feeling cotton, small-scale humane animal farms that provide wool, or anything like that? I remember once her being wary of buying a wool coat, so it would have to be something that is provably from a "good" place.

You can find handspun, hand dyed yarns on etsy.com. Some are also from small farms, so they are sheared, spun and dyed by the same person. I don't knit with cotton, so I don't have any suggestions to offer. Just out of curiosity, what problem did she have with the wool coat? It doesn't hurt the sheep to be sheared, after all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Does anyone have a pattern for gorgeous complicated gloves with complete fingers? Something like Gordian (on Ravelry) or especially Entangled Stitches (Ravelry)? My grandmother just decided this is what she desperately needs for Christmas (in black, of course, just to make it as challenging as possible). Entangled Stitches would be ideal -- it used to be free, and does knitting count as :filez:? -- but anything even similar would be great, if you guys have any recommendations.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

jomiel posted:

Endpaper mitts were my first color knit too! Don't be scared, it's not as hard as you think, mine turned out great and I'm not a fantastic knitter at all.
How you want to hold the yarn is a very personal preference and depends on your knitting style. I'm a continental knitter and I held one strand in each hand, though I also tried holding both in my left hand and that worked well too. I just prefer one strand in each hand because that way I can keep a skein on each side of me without them getting all tangled up.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I did it.

Twenty God drat knitted and felted paper cranes.

I don't care if no one liked them. I'm proud that I was able to finish all of them perfectly before today.

Go me.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

I did it.

Twenty God drat knitted and felted paper cranes.

I don't care if no one liked them. I'm proud that I was able to finish all of them perfectly before today.

Go me.

Did you take any pictures of all that hard work? I'm interested to see what they look like.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Best Christmas present ever: umbrella swift and yarn ball winder. I literally spent the entire day yesterday winding my stash. It looks beautiful.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Aardvarklet posted:

Best Christmas present ever: umbrella swift and yarn ball winder. I literally spent the entire day yesterday winding my stash. It looks beautiful.
With this setup, can you wind yarn that starts off like

or only skeins, like

?

Thanks! My winder/swift experience is limited to a few minutes in a LYS being mesmerized by the cool spinny thing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You can wind the normal balls of yarn, you just don't use the umbrella swift! Which reminds me, I really need to get a new ball winder. I got mine years ago and it's pretty much only holding on from sheer will. If anyone knows if cheap ones exist now I'll love to hear it.

And I'm afraid all I have are some crappy cell phone pics of the birds. I was in a rush to get them all wrapped for the holidays.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

There's twenty all together. I actually had to take a three day break halfway through because my thumb and index finger got all red and swollen from the sewing.

In the end people liked it, but I'm pretty sure they were disappointed I didn't make Demented Bunnies again this year. I'm already typecasted.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

With this setup, can you wind yarn that starts off like

or only skeins, like

?

Thanks! My winder/swift experience is limited to a few minutes in a LYS being mesmerized by the cool spinny thing.

You can definitely do both. It made my Patons Merino so much easier to work with. I didn't think I would use the setup for basic craft store yarn, but it really makes it look and feel nice. Honestly my stash looks so much more appealing now that everything is in neat little cakes. And since it's harder to tell the expensive stuff from the cheap stuff, there is less...discrimination.

Edit: Wandering Knitter--to get a "cheap" winder, I would recommend signing up for Michael's emails. Wait until you get a 40% off coupon and then buy your winder with that. Or if you go in there to buy something else, check your receipt, because they almost always have a 20-50% coupon that you can use on your next trip. That's how I got my interchangeables at a reasonable price. Jo-Ann sometimes puts their winders on sale, although not that often. Also your cranes look amazing.

Aardvarklet fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 27, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Aardvarklet posted:

That's how I got my interchangeables at a reasonable price.

What where? I've looked online at at my TWO local Michaels and neither have interchangables. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place? Do you have a link?

Talise
Mar 16, 2004
FATTY FATTY ANIME LOL

teknicolor posted:

What where? I've looked online at at my TWO local Michaels and neither have interchangables. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place? Do you have a link?

I'm pretty sure these (Boye Needles) are the needles in question. It really depends on the size of your Michaels as to whether or not they have them. If they do, they're in with the normal needle selection. If you have a Joann's or Hobby Lobby they carry them as well. The set is usually listed at 69.99, which means you pay $35-44 for them depending on the coupon.

Do yourself a favor however, and just order the Knit Picks.They're dreamy. Promise.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The one's I've always seen at stores were the metal screw-on ones. I got them cheap but I never use them. Instead I stick with the Denis plastic ones.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Talise posted:

I'm pretty sure these (Boye Needles) are the needles in question. It really depends on the size of your Michaels as to whether or not they have them. If they do, they're in with the normal needle selection. If you have a Joann's or Hobby Lobby they carry them as well. The set is usually listed at 69.99, which means you pay $35-44 for them depending on the coupon.

Do yourself a favor however, and just order the Knit Picks.They're dreamy. Promise.

I told my dad to tell everyone in my family that I would love those knitpicks interchangables. God willing I won't get an ugly sweater that doesn't fit this year.

I do love the knitpicks circulars, they're so...slinky. And I just splurged on myself this afternoon and bought three sets of 0, 1, and 2 addi turbos. Mmm.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Aardvarklet posted:

You can definitely do both. It made my Patons Merino so much easier to work with. I didn't think I would use the setup for basic craft store yarn, but it really makes it look and feel nice. Honestly my stash looks so much more appealing now that everything is in neat little cakes. And since it's harder to tell the expensive stuff from the cheap stuff, there is less...discrimination.

Edit: Wandering Knitter--to get a "cheap" winder, I would recommend signing up for Michael's emails. Wait until you get a 40% off coupon and then buy your winder with that. Or if you go in there to buy something else, check your receipt, because they almost always have a 20-50% coupon that you can use on your next trip. That's how I got my interchangeables at a reasonable price. Jo-Ann sometimes puts their winders on sale, although not that often. Also your cranes look amazing.

I have a winder that I don't need, like this one.

PM me if you want it in exchange for a bumpin' avatar.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Do any of you knitters have carpal tunnel? I'm wondering, have you any tricks for working through the pain? Lately I can only knit for about ten minutes, then I have to rest for another 10-15. The scarf I needed for Christmas didn't get done on time because of it :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My Mom has carpal tunnel (crocheter), and so did my best friend in college (knitter). There's gloves made for people to help the pain while knitting (ask at your local yarn store) and I think they would just take a lot of breaks between rows.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I asked for the Knitpicks/Harmony Options set of interchangeable needles for Christmas, but I didn't get them. That's ok though, because I just ordered them with my Christmas money. :woop:

Hopefully this will help me get a handle on knitting in the round. I bought two Clover bamboo circulars, but the cord that runs between them is really, really stiff, and it makes it very difficult to work with. I tried "magic loop" with them, and then I tried two sets of circulars, but I got really frustrated and gave up on both of them within a few rows. How does anyone knit with those stupidly stiff cords?

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Mnemosyne posted:

I asked for the Knitpicks/Harmony Options set of interchangeable needles for Christmas, but I didn't get them. That's ok though, because I just ordered them with my Christmas money. :woop:

Hopefully this will help me get a handle on knitting in the round. I bought two Clover bamboo circulars, but the cord that runs between them is really, really stiff, and it makes it very difficult to work with. I tried "magic loop" with them, and then I tried two sets of circulars, but I got really frustrated and gave up on both of them within a few rows. How does anyone knit with those stupidly stiff cords?

Reportedly you can soak them in hot water to make them a bit more noodly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Oh! I thought it was just me! I tried magic loop with two little clovers, as their dpns have never done me wrong, and swore off the whole technique out of frustration. I ought to invest in a nicer set and try again (or at least try the soaking trick)!