Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

MrLonghair posted:

Is using computer software as a sampler a good way to get an idea of how to operate a regular rackmounted sampler? I'm a month away from a Yahama A4000 if the guy finds all the papers on time and I can't put my work on hold, the samples would be triggered by midi out from my Yamaha RM1x.

Basically the answer the is no. Unless you have absolutely no idea what a sampler is most of your time is going to be spent learning the work flow of the device and working around the limitations. Recycle and Reason both use the slices of a larger sample concept like the a4000 but the actual way you'll be using them is completely different so it's not really worth going out of your way to use them. The built in effects of the Yamaha are a bit lovely but maybe they have some kind of retro charm at this stage.

Honestly it's hard to really see any advantage to a hardware sampler nowadays unless you have experience of using one and are conditioned to the work flow of a specific device or are after a specific quirk/sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

I'm already getting tired of that grain sample stutter thing. Electronic music needs a new sound.

SouvlakiPlaystation posted:

I'm thinking about adding a pad based midi controller to my set up, which is basically just a 49 key Axiom, Ableton and an M-audio box at the moment, and I'm trying to decide between the Korg padKontrol and the Akai MPD24.

I read that the pads on the padKontrol are more sensitive and can be played with more finesse. If only they'd have stuck some other controls on there they'd have the market locked down.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Mannex posted:

I'm already getting tired of that grain sample stutter thing. Electronic music needs a new sound.

Already? This style has been tired for a while. For electronic music to get new sound, it needs A) New tools B) New thinking about current tools

Also, Excision is doing it right..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-EeSaONwQ&fmt=18

Bass is in again.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

Is using computer software as a sampler a good way to get an idea of how to operate a regular rackmounted sampler? I'm a month away from a Yahama A4000 if the guy finds all the papers on time and I can't put my work on hold, the samples would be triggered by midi out from my Yamaha RM1x.

It's reasonably similar. Hardware samplers and sampler plugins both have the idea of assigning samples to zones (which can be anything from a piano multisample to a drum kit map), and each zone has its own set of parameters (levels, pan position, envelopes, filters) as well as their being some global parameters for the whole patch. Obviously the interface is a little different with a hardware sampler, but it's fairly straightforward if you've ever spent any time tweaking a synth.

EDIT: and I mostly agree with BunnyX about hardware samplers being sort of redundant for a lot of people. They are not as easy to use, and switching patches around is slow, and it's a pain having to maintain separate a separate storage medium for your samples. On the other hand, they sound good, are usually ultra-stable, and can offload a lot of work from the CPU (and sometimes just having a different kind of interface can suggest different creative possibilities).

h_double fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 23, 2008

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's a budget thing for me, BunnyX, the sampler will be mine for approx $120 (with 10gig hd, expansions, zipdrive & discs & cards - I think it might be a good deal), the regular used market via auctions has ancient Akai samplers with under ten megs ending for over that, and laptops are out of my range until mid-late 2009 - don't really want them anyway, I'm a fag like that who takes analogue over digital analogue modelling if possible.

Thank you Halo & h_double, I have a good idea of how they work now.

I'd rather bring a few racks than a laptop. It's like taking a piss with pants down, feels good man.
\/

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 23, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Unless your sampler is using tape its going to be digital...

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby

Mannex posted:

I read that the pads on the padKontrol are more sensitive and can be played with more finesse. If only they'd have stuck some other controls on there they'd have the market locked down.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I've had other people tell me just the opposite (that the Akai pads are better), but I guess that just goes to show it's all a matter of opinion. Regardless, I think I'm going to go with the Korg. It sucks not having many control knobs (which is why I was asking how the hell you're supposed to go about fading samples in and out, or adding effects on the fly for that matter), but I figure I can just set the sampler next to my Axiom and use all of the faders and sliders on there for that sort of thing...

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Does anybody know of a way for Reason to export a song into some kind of format that could be interpreted by a 3D modeling package? I'm trying to convert a song of mine into some kind of raw data (numbers/text? I've never tried something like this before) so that I can feed it into Maya for animation. I have a bit of a programming background so I don't need a super-detailed explanation on how to make Maya interpret the data. I can definitely work out the bits with Maya and the animation, but I'm still trying to figure out some way for Reason to export/convert/whatever the song into meaningful, non-audio data. I guess some raw MIDI info would work pretty well but I don't know how to go about doing that, although it might be a really obvious answer.

For a good, albeit sort of extreme, example of what I'm trying to do: Gantz Graf by Autechre -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZwTUUue1w

According to somebody commmenting, the guy made it by putting "his 3D models into After Effects along with the song and used the 'convert audio waveform to Keyframes key' to get the points where to change the frames and have the graphics react to the music. In AE he used alpha channels to cut up the models into strips."

That's not quite what I'm trying to do, though, as I know there are fairly simply ways to plug matchmoving data directly into Maya, so I'm pretty sure that if I could convert some MIDI info into a format Maya can read it would sync exactly. Or am I nuts?

Edit: Okay so having never ever used Rewire, I notice it outputs MIDI as well as audio (makes sense). Might this be the key?

SpecialAgentCooper fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 24, 2008

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January
Reason will directly export midi data from the File menu. It is cunningly labelled Export Midi File.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

BunnyX posted:

Reason will directly export midi data from the File menu. It is cunningly labelled Export Midi File.

Okay, I admit I walked into this one, so a snarky comment is appropriate. That said, the plug-in I found for Maya seems to read standard MIDI notes fine, but it's way picky about separating individual tracks. Will the names for the Reason devices transfer over within the .mid file?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January
I've never actually used the export function. Let me export a file and see how tracks are named.

It appears they are named after the devices the notes refer to, however any decent freeware/OS midi editor will let you edit the channel names to whatever Maya is expecting or split each channel to a separate midi for individual import.

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
Bonus question: Could I assign one of those little Behringer mixers (like the eurorack UB802) to control midi in Ableton? If so, what advantage does something like the Behringer BCF2000 (which is just a flat out midi controller) have over that? For upwards of $100 more no less.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January
No, it's not a midi controller, it doesn't send midi data.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Bonus question: Could I assign one of those little Behringer mixers (like the eurorack UB802) to control midi in Ableton? If so, what advantage does something like the Behringer BCF2000 (which is just a flat out midi controller) have over that? For upwards of $100 more no less.

No midi out or USB on them so no, closest thing is gutting it and building a midi out kit ($60 for a basic kit iirc?), but you can turn anything that outputs audio work into a controller (like the Kaossilator into a not quite perfect X/Y pad with all settings just right). It's a headache and a half

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
I'm having a ton of trouble making a good bassdrum sound. I have the sound I want in mind, I just can't make it happen.

Ideally, I want it to sound like this. Short, punchy, bouncy, and with enough "oomph" that you feel it at high volumes. It's especially frustrating because I naturally try to make the bassdrum really prominent in my mixes, so the bass doesn't interfere with the impact. So the quality of all my songs is really lacking because I can't make a good bassdrum.

I've got a bunch of sample CDs, so what I've been trying to do is take a punchy midrange one, find one with a top end I like and cut the low end out with a high pass filter, and then a sub bass one, and compress them together. I think I've got the right idea, but it never sounds as good as any song I listen to. I'm about to just sample other people's drums, but I really want to figure it out on my own. Any tips?

EDIT: It figures that as soon as I ask this question I manage to cobble together a decent bass drum. Oh well... here... tell me what you think of this strange-rear end loop I made using it. I'm too sleep deprived to tell if it has any musical merit, but I've tried to refine some mixing tricks I've been messing around with... tell me what you think.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 24, 2008

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

(Got the FL8 demo, Ableton gave me the headache of a thousand wives, Reason just made me confused.)

I have an A4000 (although, i'll admit, it's not been used for years now). If it hasn't already got one, buy an internal HDD for it. Max up the RAM as much as you can too.

Most importantly, buy a SCSI card for your computer and figure out how to do SMDI transfers. Do whatever it takes to get it working. The A4000 is a really good sampler (i prefer it to the Akai S series), but copying stuff over on floppy disks is soul destroying.

If you don't have SMDI with the ability to save programs to the HDD, it'll do your loving head in. :)

Oh, and check out a program called 'bZone'. It's a free application that allows you to control all the parameters of the sampler over midi. It seems like it was abandoned a fair few years ago (and, sadly, before the author got around to including SMDI into it), but I assume it'll still work under XP. http://www.bzone.be/

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Alright, I'm a huge noob when it comes to all this kind of stuff. I'm a bassist who has been experimenting with synthesis lately, and I am looking to expand my palette of sounds.

- A BUDGET IN NUMBERS OF EUROS OR DOLLARS OR GP: The most I want to spend at one time on a laptop is $500-$1k or so.
- poo poo YOU ALREADY OWN: My bass is still my primary instrument, and basically want to sequence drums and synths to incorporate with my bass playing. I also own the full set of Moogerfoogers, a Moog Little Phatty, a Kaoss Pad 3, and a Kaossilator. My computer is a 2.53ghz Intel Pentium processor (single core) running XP with two 40gig 5600rpm hard drives, and a gig of ram. It's pretty drat old, and I would like a laptop.
- DIRECTION AND PURPOSE: I am mainly interested in playing live and jamming, although of course I want to record the stuff that actually sounds good. My influences range from NIN to Sound Tribe Sector 9, to all manner of other crazy poo poo. I am interested in a laptop, but I also need a good hardware sequencer. I plan on getting a Muse Receptor eventually, but that will be after I get a computer to interface it with.

Deific Presence fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 24, 2008

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

moron posted:

Most importantly, buy a SCSI card for your computer and figure out how to do SMDI transfers. Do whatever it takes to get it working. The A4000 is a really good sampler (i prefer it to the Akai S series), but copying stuff over on floppy disks is soul destroying.

It's got ten gigs and if I heard right, 64 megs of ram - got a load of EDO but nothing's the type it'll accept. What kind of SCSI am I looking for? Got a 50 pin scsi-2 internal PCI card lying around and the CDRW drive I used it with, one trip to google shows me a centronics plug and nothing else, and now I'm confused.

Thanks a lot for the tips, it's going to be of a big help!

e:
Oh god I need more analogue bass synthesizers to play with

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 24, 2008

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I've had other people tell me just the opposite (that the Akai pads are better), but I guess that just goes to show it's all a matter of opinion. Regardless, I think I'm going to go with the Korg. It sucks not having many control knobs (which is why I was asking how the hell you're supposed to go about fading samples in and out, or adding effects on the fly for that matter), but I figure I can just set the sampler next to my Axiom and use all of the faders and sliders on there for that sort of thing...

the akai pads are better once broken in, i think people look over the fact that the pads need a little while of playing to get them good and soft. i think half the reason the pads on every 2000xl feel so nice and squishy its that that have been hit 10,000 times.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm using logic. Say I want a flanger on my hi hat auxiliary, but I only want it for a few bars. How do I do this without creating a new channel exclusively for flang-ed hi hats? ..Or is that how I do it? Thanks

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm using logic. Say I want a flanger on my hi hat auxiliary, but I only want it for a few bars. How do I do this without creating a new channel exclusively for flang-ed hi hats? ..Or is that how I do it? Thanks

Easiest way is to probably set up your flanger effect on the high hat track, with the wet/dry knob turned all the way to "dry", then automate in however much wetness you need throughout the track.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

:aaa: Thanks I didn't know I could automate anything other than volume or pan... this makes things interesting! (still learning)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
After having basically used nothing other than Ableton Live for the past couple of years, I reinstalled Sonar on my new desktop, and as much as I do like Live (especially how you can do basically everything in realtime), wow it is SO nice using a sequencer with a full-featured MIDI editor, and little things like track folders and curved automation envelopes.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Kai was taken posted:

What's the best way to simulate outdoor reverb? Not like out-in-the-alps delay, but just a generic outdoors.

Every time I try to use reverb to emulate an outdoor space, it ends up sounding like a gigantic room.

I am using Live's built-in reverb though, so that may account for part of it.

Try a convolution reverb. Those are usually quite accurate.
Altiverb springs to mind.
You'll have a hard time getting a decent real-life sound from an algorithmic reverb.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Alright, I went out and bought a laptop. Now I recommend me an audio interface!

- A BUDGET IN NUMBERS OF EUROS OR DOLLARS OR GP: My price limit is about $400-600
- poo poo YOU ALREADY OWN: My bass is still my primary instrument, and basically want to sequence drums and synths to incorporate with my bass playing. I also own the full set of Moogerfoogers, a Moog Little Phatty, a Kaoss Pad 3, and a Kaossilator. My new laptop is an Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2.0ghz, 3gb of ram, and a 320 gig HD.
- DIRECTION AND PURPOSE: I actually want two, one rackmountable with lots and lots of ins and outs, and a secondary portable one with just a single set of midi and analog i/o would be great. Latency is all-important since I plan on using this for live stuff as well as recording.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Deific Presence posted:

Alright, I went out and bought a laptop. Now I recommend me an audio interface!

- A BUDGET IN NUMBERS OF EUROS OR DOLLARS OR GP: My price limit is about $400-600
- poo poo YOU ALREADY OWN: My bass is still my primary instrument, and basically want to sequence drums and synths to incorporate with my bass playing. I also own the full set of Moogerfoogers, a Moog Little Phatty, a Kaoss Pad 3, and a Kaossilator. My new laptop is an Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2.0ghz, 3gb of ram, and a 320 gig HD.
- DIRECTION AND PURPOSE: I actually want two, one rackmountable with lots and lots of ins and outs, and a secondary portable one with just a single set of midi and analog i/o would be great. Latency is all-important since I plan on using this for live stuff as well as recording.

the somewhat new ART 8 in rackmount soundcard is supposed to be great and its only like 350$ i use an edirol FA66 and it works perfectly for me, nice and solid.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I've been dabbling in some French House-like stuff lately since my dad gave me a CD full of unused riffs he did for his old band. Sampling that poo poo is fun. I just can't wrap my mind around one thing Daft Punk did alot which I wanted to replicate - that "dry" raspy filtered sound. It's really apparent in Prime Time Of Your Life, if you skim through it you'll know what I mean.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Motorball posted:

I just can't wrap my mind around one thing Daft Punk did alot which I wanted to replicate - that "dry" raspy filtered sound. It's really apparent in Prime Time Of Your Life, if you skim through it you'll know what I mean.

It's called bitreduction/bitcrushing.

Check out http://cmt.siba.fi/studies/Courses/2001-2002/VST/plugins/CMT_Bitcrusher/ or http://d16.pl/index.php?menu=203

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I just found an old copy of Computer Music I had bought like a year and a half ago (when I was first getting into music), popped the DVD into my computer, and lo and behold it was the issue with ZerbaCM. I remember installing it back in the day and not knowing what the gently caress, but now I can see it's a loving awesome synth. Do yourself a favor and track down the back issue, its totally worth it. I'm having a blast with it.

Here's a snippit from my current WIP using Zebra for the analog sounding pad that's one of the first sounds I programmed with the thing:

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

squidgee posted:

I just found an old copy of Computer Music I had bought like a year and a half ago (when I was first getting into music), popped the DVD into my computer, and lo and behold it was the issue with ZerbaCM. I remember installing it back in the day and not knowing what the gently caress, but now I can see it's a loving awesome synth. Do yourself a favor and track down the back issue, its totally worth it. I'm having a blast with it.

Here's a snippit from my current WIP using Zebra for the analog sounding pad that's one of the first sounds I programmed with the thing:

ZebraCM and all of the other CM Studio tools are included in every issue, so there's no need for a back issue. In fact, if you buy the newest issue you'll have a lot more new instruments :)

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

The Fog posted:

ZebraCM and all of the other CM Studio tools are included in every issue, so there's no need for a back issue. In fact, if you buy the newest issue you'll have a lot more new instruments :)

Hah, no poo poo? You can tell when the last time I bought CM was.

nyro
Jul 15, 2005

your face looks like the fairy tale explosion
Is buying a new laptop with Vista 64 shooting myself in the foot, in regards to drivers? I'm buying a new laptop and I plan on getting into electronic music producing/mixing, so I currently have no equipment. Since I have no equipment, will I be able to buy that equipment with Vista 64 in mind, or would I just be painting myself into the corner with an incompatible OS?

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

nyro posted:

Is buying a new laptop with Vista 64 shooting myself in the foot, in regards to drivers? I'm buying a new laptop and I plan on getting into electronic music producing/mixing, so I currently have no equipment. Since I have no equipment, will I be able to buy that equipment with Vista 64 in mind, or would I just be painting myself into the corner with an incompatible OS?
If you pick out your sound interface accordingly you shouldn't have too much trouble, just make sure your chosen DAW supports Vista 64. I suppose you could run into some problems with a lot of freeware and hobbyist stuff though.

Personally I wouldn't bother with 64 bit yet, unless you're going to be using giant multisample instruments like Colossus or whatever and will need a poo poo ton of RAM. Vista 32 is nice, I'm sure some luddites will tell you to go XP regardless but Vista's been pretty drat good since SP1. I've used quite a lot of USB/Firewire interfaces and haven't run into any hitches besides some minor connectivity stuff with our beat up Mackie d.4 but that's just the fault of the mixer being a poorly-constructed shitbox.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

nyro posted:

http://www.rainrecording.com/vista/

There's a big list of vista 64 compatible stuff. You'll only really have problems with older gear that is no longer supported.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I've wanted to learn Ableton Live for a long time, but never was able to get used to it after using FL Studio for a very long time (and not really liking it after a while).

Shockingly, now that I'm actually going through the various lessons that are built right into the program, I'm getting used to it and realizing that it's actually a very intuitive program! I got my old keyboard hooked up and everything, so it's actually pretty neat. I'm sure I'll be bombarding you guys with questions soon enough.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

wlokos posted:

I've wanted to learn Ableton Live for a long time, but never was able to get used to it after using FL Studio for a very long time (and not really liking it after a while).

Shockingly, now that I'm actually going through the various lessons that are built right into the program, I'm getting used to it and realizing that it's actually a very intuitive program! I got my old keyboard hooked up and everything, so it's actually pretty neat. I'm sure I'll be bombarding you guys with questions soon enough.

you know you can open ableton then open fruity loops and then arm a track and make the input fruity loops and then you can use both programs at once and record FL studio into ableton and things like that.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I could, but considering how FL Studio has exactly zero built-in synths that sound remotely good, I don't see the point.

I kinda want to get a fresh start anyway, after years of noodling in FL with absolutely nothing to show for it.

wlokos fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 30, 2008

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wlokos posted:

I could, but considering how FL Studio has exactly zero built synths that sound remotely good, I don't see the point.

I kinda want to get a fresh start anyway, after years of noodling in FL with absolutely nothing to show for it.

In all fairness, I do like Sytrus.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin
FL8 is still the best sequencing app for the windows platform, hands down. Ableton feels like a toy to me, and is not worth anywhere near $500. And really, if you are looking for good synths you are in the wrong mind if you are thinking any application has good pre-bundled synths. Operator is not really that good, nor are the pre-bundled synths that come with FL. They're OK, but they're not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Halo posted:

And really, if you are looking for good synths you are in the wrong mind if you are thinking any application has good pre-bundled synths.

Logic.

Also, Digidesign's were polished up nicely.

quote:

Ableton feels like a toy to me

I have absolutely nothing against FL Studio but you're saying this when you prefer something with skins, shiny buttons all in the same metal colors and a tiling background and its own animu mascot.

edit: Logic slashing its price was a good thing but Apple's behind that, they could stand to lose money over it if they wanted to which Ableton and Steinberg can't (even though Steinberg's owned by Yamaha which has more money than God).

• Locked thread