Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOUGAY
Sep 21, 2003

Akaikami posted:

Did you even read my post? I got punched in the face riding my BIKE down a MAIN ROAD for no reason other than me being white/looking like an art student.

You have to be loving retarded or a recluse to even think that Savannah is better than your every day urban area.

Savannah is a lovely city. Sure the weather is nice, but it smells like papermill and poo poo every 2-3 days. There's such a large division between locals and students that they take any chance they can get to gently caress us "invaders" over.

I've lived nearby Boston for the past 18 years of my life, and never have I once seen any nearby "urban" areas as lovely as Savannah as far as aggressive locals go.

If you've got rich parents who can treat you to a loft on broughton st. and buy you poo poo like hummers and vespas then sure go right loving ahead and blow your parents money. If you're looking for the best living situation combined with education then go to a more populated city area that's NOT in the South. If you don't have rich parents feel free to put up with SCAD's horrid student transportation, and get used to having your first few semesters of classes spread out into every corner of the lovely city.

Just for reference, what road were you going down? What intersection? What time was it?

I've seen some crazy poo poo in Savannah while I was there (I've since graduated and moved) but I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that you were probably somewhere stupid. Yes it's in the south. Yes it's voluntarily segregated as hell. You're going to get caught up in the middle of it. Don't rock the boat, get your education, then get out.

It doesn't sound like you even got into your major, so if you're judging the faculty of the liberal arts and foundations departments, you haven't seen anything. At least in my major, I've had three amazing professors that I'm close enough with to have them help me find work and keep in touch with regularly as colleagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

KittenofDoom posted:

You're not being too harsh at all, or at least not any more than is fair. I absolutely understand I have a buttload of work ahead of me to get to where I'm supposed to be, and hopefully that'll fill out within the next few months. Harshness is completely deserved at this point.

I'd say that I'm not lacking in skills, just lacking in work that proves it.

I sort-of updated my portfolio with a couple of print pieces I did a few years back, and got rid of the horrible frames (seriously I don't remember why I used them).

There's plenty more to add and improve on, but are the first two designs not embarassingly bad, at least?

I keep telling you to remove the dead links because it really doesn't help with the page. It screams unprofessional (like I can't finish a simple web page unprofessional), and I know it's not hard to code in a separate page or take the links down.

I read your resume. Do you know InDesign? You might want to put that on there if you're looking to nail a graphic design job as you said you are. Quark is dead; I've never touched it as a student.

Pique reminds me of a sex cream.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

http://elledot.net/design.html Obviously I'm looking for pointers...

The actual portfolio contents are 3+ years old, I've been debating just taking it down altogether...should I just make up my own random mockup sites or whatever to fill it with new content?

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Does anyone at top-level ad agencies (more Saatchi/TBWA/WK than small-town) come from a graphic design background? Namely, art directors. On my previous course at college (I'm from England, BTEC ND Graphic Design) we did a unit of advertising which was great, but I'm now doing a graphic design degree which specifically doesn't deal with advertising.

I'm looking at all this loving awesome advertising work on Behance and in D&AD books and I'm gutted I didn't decide to do an ad design degree.

By all accounts I'm on an awesome graphic design course, I love where I am and am glad I didn't go to Salford or Manchester Met because really, gently caress Manchester; I have no inclination to change where I am, at all.

At the same time, the further I get into this course the more I realise how different graphic design and advertising are, and I'm worried about getting stuck into the graphic design mode of operation rather than approaching problems like an ad man would.

I'm not really sure where to go from here - should I try and go to Fabrica or Miami Ad School postgrad, or do you get junior art directors with next-to-no ad experience (other than D&AD competitions and such)

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
My girlfriend ( :toot: ) is a B.A./M.A. Interior Architect (with an interest in graphic design) from RISD. We're in Boston now, and she's been spinning her wheels trying to find anything that's up her alley. Do any Boston-area design/architecture goons know of any leads?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Euthyphro posted:

My girlfriend ( :toot: ) is a B.A./M.A. Interior Architect (with an interest in graphic design) from RISD. We're in Boston now, and she's been spinning her wheels trying to find anything that's up her alley. Do any Boston-area design/architecture goons know of any leads?

I'm Boston-based and all my designer/architecture friends have been laid off within the past 2 months. I'm waiting for the axe to drop any day, myself. Sorry, dude.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Does anyone at top-level ad agencies (more Saatchi/TBWA/WK than small-town) come from a graphic design background? Namely, art directors. On my previous course at college (I'm from England, BTEC ND Graphic Design) we did a unit of advertising which was great, but I'm now doing a graphic design degree which specifically doesn't deal with advertising.

I'm looking at all this loving awesome advertising work on Behance and in D&AD books and I'm gutted I didn't decide to do an ad design degree.

By all accounts I'm on an awesome graphic design course, I love where I am and am glad I didn't go to Salford or Manchester Met because really, gently caress Manchester; I have no inclination to change where I am, at all.

At the same time, the further I get into this course the more I realise how different graphic design and advertising are, and I'm worried about getting stuck into the graphic design mode of operation rather than approaching problems like an ad man would.

I'm not really sure where to go from here - should I try and go to Fabrica or Miami Ad School postgrad, or do you get junior art directors with next-to-no ad experience (other than D&AD competitions and such)

I don't know about Art Directors, but couldn't you be a Designer in an ad agency with your graphics background? My agency (it's definitely no W+K, mind) has heaps of designers doing web stuff, emails and print. Or do you definitely want to do concepting?

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

marshmallard posted:

I don't know about Art Directors, but couldn't you be a Designer in an ad agency with your graphics background? My agency (it's definitely no W+K, mind) has heaps of designers doing web stuff, emails and print. Or do you definitely want to do concepting?
I'd like to do the conceptual stuff. I like pretty things but witty things are better.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

I'd like to do the conceptual stuff. I like pretty things but witty things are better.

OK, well I see absolutely no reason why you can't. Creatives come from all over the place. Granted, the majority come from Bucks Uni and places like that these days, but that doesn't mean you can't have a different background. I'm a Copywriter and I didn't go to Bucks. You don't need qualifications, you just need to be good.

Your graphics skills will definitely help in producing a good portfolio ("book") to show at interview. You just need to buddy up with a copywriter and get a book together. You could maybe start with the D&AD Workshops: http://dandad.co.uk/education/workshops.html - it's six weeks of getting a brief, having a week to work on it and then presenting your work to the agency that set the brief for feedback. It's knackering but it's pretty useful.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Thanks for the advice :)

I guess it's time to stop talking and start working on some D&AD and YCN briefs.

For what it's worth, my friend is at Bucks (on BA Creative Advertising - my second choice course) and hates it, so I'm pretty glad I'm not there all things considered.

e: forgot to say, did you do a D&AD workshop? I completely forgot to apply this year, might go for the summer one, but might wait till next year (2nd year) when I'd get more out of it.

Zurich fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 24, 2008

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Thanks for the advice :)

I guess it's time to stop talking and start working on some D&AD and YCN briefs.

For what it's worth, my friend is at Bucks (on BA Creative Advertising - my second choice course) and hates it, so I'm pretty glad I'm not there all things considered.

e: forgot to say, did you do a D&AD workshop? I completely forgot to apply this year, might go for the summer one, but might wait till next year (2nd year) when I'd get more out of it.

Yeah, I did the integrated one 'cause I work in an integrated agency. And also because that one goes to some agencies I've actually heard of (Iris, Kitcatt Nohr etc) whereas the above-the-line one seemed to go to random places I've never ever heard of (England (apparently an agency), jwtcheethambell (not just JWT) etc). It's a bit of a myth that you go round BBH and Saatchis on the ATL one.

What year is your friend in? I know some folks at Bucks.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Anyone know of anything like those D&AD workshops in the US? Seems like a fantastic idea.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

marshmallard posted:

Yeah, I did the integrated one 'cause I work in an integrated agency. And also because that one goes to some agencies I've actually heard of (Iris, Kitcatt Nohr etc) whereas the above-the-line one seemed to go to random places I've never ever heard of (England (apparently an agency), jwtcheethambell (not just JWT) etc). It's a bit of a myth that you go round BBH and Saatchis on the ATL one.

What year is your friend in? I know some folks at Bucks.
He's a first year. Does your agency have any connections with Ravensbourne out of interest?

I'm sure I saw a summer workshop on the Saatchi & Saatchi website a year or two ago, can't find it now. That would be the dream though...

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

why does everyone ignore me on these forums ?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Jabe posted:

why does everyone ignore me on these forums ?

There's not enough work on there. Keep building it up. The only way you'll know if it's good enough for entry level jobs is to submit it with your resume and cover letter and see if you get a job or a reply.

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

I spent 2 days reading through every reply here, and didn't find anything to help me, or the other photographers looking for some answers. So, I'll just ask my questions, and hope someone will help me. :buddy:

I currently am a sophomore at Ohio State as a Photography and Journalism major. My biggest problem is I don't really know, outside of internships, how to get my foot in the door. In my photography classes, my instructors keep saying to get into shows and find ways to get my name out there. In my journalism classes, they don't have much in the way of how to get a photojournalism job, because they don't really teach that.

At this point, I don't really care if my photography job is a journalism job or not - I'm basically keeping that part on because I figure it'll just open up another option when I go to get a job later.

Anyway, my point is, how do I go about making a way for myself into photography? Where do I find shows, and other ways to gain some recognition in the photography world? And where should I be looking, outside of newspapers, to find some photography jobs in the journalism track?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

He's a first year. Does your agency have any connections with Ravensbourne out of interest?

I'm sure I saw a summer workshop on the Saatchi & Saatchi website a year or two ago, can't find it now. That would be the dream though...

No... I've never even heard of Ravensbourne but maybe the creative PA would have. She deals with work experience and placements and stuff.

S&S do a summer scheme every year, yep... it's more of a grad scheme/traineeship thing, though, and geared towards account management. Also, it's fiendishly difficult to get on - the year before last they wrote on a piece of paper "Turn this piece of paper into a job". And that was your application. Jeez.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I've been wanting an opinion on a decision I've been trying to make, so I'd appreciate any insight:

I already have a BA (in Psychology), but my main passion is art, mainly animation/illustration/writing. I'd like to go back to school to study it, since I have no experience, and think I need a LOT more training (I've taken one animation class so far). I'd either like to get an MFA or another BA (granted I'd much rather the MFA). I was wondering if this is really necessary, or if I should just take a few classes and just apply to jobs with a strong portfolio when I feel ready. My main issues are:

1)money
2)portfolio
3)recommendations

I don't really have any of these things. Well, I may have a portfolio, but not a very big or good one. poo poo, I don't even know what I should put in it. I want to go back to school, but I don't want to feel pressured to go back for an MFA, if I don't need to in order to have job opportunities. So should I just take some classes, apply for a degree program, or both (take the classes, then apply for the MFA later)? Also, are there any good programs out there for people like me who really wanna do art but don't have a strong background?

Also, I applied for a production assistant position at an animation company, but got turned down due to "lack of experience". Are there any other kinds of positions I could apply to so I can get my foot in the door?

NoUserNameThanks
Dec 29, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

You're not being too harsh at all, or at least not any more than is fair. I absolutely understand I have a buttload of work ahead of me to get to where I'm supposed to be, and hopefully that'll fill out within the next few months. Harshness is completely deserved at this point.

I'd say that I'm not lacking in skills, just lacking in work that proves it.

I sort-of updated my portfolio with a couple of print pieces I did a few years back, and got rid of the horrible frames (seriously I don't remember why I used them).

There's plenty more to add and improve on, but are the first two designs not embarassingly bad, at least?

I'm certainly no expert at all and I'm sorry to sound harsh, but I think your site looks pretty amateurish; just the fact that a new tab pops up to show the small sketchy ninja.
Why not having the picture enlarged in the same page (like the conceptart.org galleries)?
It looks weak both in illustration and in graphic design; I can't understand what the pique box is for and the design of the pique card is almost the same.
Don't intend to drag you down, just trying to help with my two cents.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

Anyway, my point is, how do I go about making a way for myself into photography? Where do I find shows, and other ways to gain some recognition in the photography world? And where should I be looking, outside of newspapers, to find some photography jobs in the journalism track?

Well, I don't know much about journalism/newspapers but you basically just asked the million dollar question. Being a professional is 10% photographic ability and 90% marketing yourself and finding the right clients to contact. Not that being good isn't important, but I know plenty of lovely photographers who are just good business people. I do commercial and editorial work and I basically spend most days doing nothing but making phone calls, mailing postcards, putting together promos, emailing, researching new clients, entering sourcebooks/annuals, etc. It's all about constantly doing anything to promote yourself and constantly making new contacts and then figuring out a way to keep in touch with those people. Right now I (and probably most other pros) are gearing up for a big marketing push for the beginning of 2009 so I have been holed up in my apartment updating my records and putting things together for that.

I have had work in a good number of exhibitions and besides selling a print occasionally I have never really gotten much out of it. I think that's only worth it if you intend to be a professional fine artist, in which case an MFA is pretty much required and building up a long laundry list of exhibitions in increasingly larger/more prestigious galleries is how you build your reputation. The only time I submit to exhibitions now is if the juror is someone that I would want to get my work in front of anyways. I see it as the same as sending a portfolio over to them instead of "I want to be in show/gallery X" (ie. a few months back I had a couple of images in a show that was juried by the curator of the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery - I ended up getting 'best in show' and now regularly keep in touch with her just like I do the rest of my professional contacts - that is someone I never would have contacted on my own, you never know who will pass your name along or help you out down the line). If you really want to be in exhibitions get a subscription to Art Deadline.

The whole journalism world is hurting really bad right now, most papers are laying photographers (and everyone else) off. I don't really know what to tell you about that.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I really want to get into editing. I did some basic copy editing/proofreading stuff in college, and I liked it, and I think I could make a career out of this but I truthfully have no idea where to start. I live in a very non-publishing city, Colorado Springs, and it's not like there's a high demand for editing assistants. Is web-editing a good alternative?

Secondly, whenever I look at an editorial assistant job, it lists a ton of editing software that I should be proficient in, and honestly, I've never heard of any of this stuff. Does anyone know what a good way to go about getting into something like this would be, and how much of this stuff I really need to know if I'm just starting out?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
For editorial assistant jobs, you should know Word (with Track Changes! Very Important!) and Excel, how to export to PDF, and the big two desktop publishing programs: Indesign and Quark (though Quark is definitely on its way out).

Liselle
Oct 27, 2007

A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
Help me figure out how to get into art college

Basically, I am feeling swamped. My first deadline for a portfolio is February 4th. I'm basically freaking the hell out.

Planning on applying to only two colleges, because I don't want to go / live anywhere else. If I fail miserably, and can't get into either Emily Carr University of Art & Design, or Pacific Northwest College of Art, I really don't know what the hell I will do with my life.

Background:
I am going to a high school without art education (The School of Science and Technology). Self-taught, except for taking Drawing I and II at Portland Community College.
I live in Oregon, but I want to live in the greater Vancouver area (the good Vancouver, not loving Washington). PNCA being my second choice in schools, and my "fall back" school.
I'm sitting on something like a 3.2 GPA, I never completed Algebra II, or Spanish II, so I am essentially hosed out of state schools (wouldn't go there anyways). I excel in everything EXCEPT for Math, as my ACT scores showed. I've taken the only AP class I could, which was AP English (lit and comp), and passed the test, and all that jazz.
Money's not an issue, don't want to get into that.
And, my only work experience would be my job doing web development / management / etc. as an intern at OHSU: OGI.

Why the hell I am so convicted about going to college for art:
Because I am, damnit.
My entire life it has been my silent passion, and something that kept me going through the worst times.
I have a desire to end up working with the internet. Somewhere that could intertwine what I love most, art, and the internet. So graphic design, or whatever these schools call it, I am planning in majoring in.
When I asked myself what was more important, money or passion, I decided that I'd rather go to college for something I LOVE rather than something that would make my life financially easier.

What I desperately need help figuring out:
I don't have any mentors, I only have you, the SA community, and whatever else I can find on the internet (nothing). I really need someone I can talk to, and just get all these boisterous and confounding questions out and answered.
I'm extremely organized, and I have spent nearly three years trying to make this work. And now's the loving time to take action, and I am petrified.
  • How do I put together my portfolio?
  • Specifically, physically, how do I make it? What do I make it? What do I need in it?
  • I was thinking (since I am only making 2), taking really great quality photos of my traditional medium work (generally 18"x16")and then printing them and mounting them in a sleek black portfolio on black pages. What did you do, how do I do this better?
  • Am I going to be discriminated because I have only had two formal classes of art thanks to going to a Science / Technology magnet school (with lovely funding)?
  • Will the fact that the only classes I've ever failed were math offer cushioning to my semi-lovely GPA?
  • How much will they care about GPA/ACT, and do I even have to take the SAT? Because I dread the math on those things.
  • Oh my god interviews :(, I don't even know what the hell, but they are terrifying.

General advice on getting into college much appreciated.
Pm's, replying here, or gtalk/email (lacey[dot]kasten[at]gmail) are the best ways to contact me.
I'd show my work, and all my "potential portfolio pieces" to someone privately. The last thing I need right now is to get punched in the face by critique, as I am about to explode as is.

Thank you. :unsmith:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Liselle posted:

• How do I put together my portfolio? If you're working with photographs or other flat media, a pre-made portfolio (basically a black binder with big pages protected by plastic sheets) can be bought at any big art store.

• Specifically, physically, how do I make it? What do I make it? What do I need in it? I would buy it unless there are compelling reasons not to. You've got enough on your plate. Put your best work in it, but somebody more experienced than I should advise you on selecting the pieces and deciding the order.

• I was thinking (since I am only making 2), taking really great quality photos of my traditional medium work (generally 18"x16")and then printing them and mounting them in a sleek black portfolio on black pages. What did you do, how do I do this better? Sounds good to me, all my art-school-attending friends had something like that. Get the best-quality printing you can, obviously.

• Am I going to be discriminated because I have only had two formal classes of art thanks to going to a Science / Technology magnet school (with lovely funding)? Lots of people like plucky self-starters. With regards to your art education so far, formulate some coherent thoughts about what you've learned so far and what you hope to learn in the future. Maybe think of examples of times when you struggled to learn something new or had a moment of inspiration. That'll serve you well in both essays and interviews.

• Will the fact that the only classes I've ever failed were math offer cushioning to my semi-lovely GPA? Your GPA isn't terrible, so it really depends on how those schools value academics vs. creative work. Many, maybe even most artists suck at math. Your artistic potential should be what the schools are more concerned with.

• How much will they care about GPA/ACT, and do I even have to take the SAT? Because I dread the math on those things. The SAT is declining in importance in some quarters, and lots of my college classmates only took the ACT. If you scored highly except for the math portion you've got something to be proud of there.

• Oh my god interviews :(, I don't even know what the hell, but they are terrifying. Don't freak out. Nobody expects an 18-year-old to be Oscar Wilde. Shaking hands, looking people in the eye, and answering in complete sentences will put you ahead of a lot of your peers. When you actually have your interviews scheduled come back here or post a thread in Ask/Tell and we can go over some more specific interview tips.

Okay, so I'm not a visual artist myself, but I went to a college with a major art school and supported a lot of friends during undergrad and graduate application time. They all freaked out, they all got in.

I know you're not able to fully believe this, but you will be fine. I think a lot of kids think colleges want them to show up with professional portfolios. If that were the case, what would be the point of art school? They want to see your potential and your work ethic. Actual artists will be along shortly to help you with putting together your portfolio. For now: deep breaths. If you knew some of the naifs I went to school with you wouldn't be freaking out half so much. One of my friends actually misspelled our school's name on his application essay, and he got in.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

"I looked in her eyes and realised how rare it is to find someone willing to have sex with me."

Liselle posted:

Planning on applying to only two colleges, because I don't want to go / live anywhere else. If I fail miserably, and can't get into either Emily Carr University of Art & Design, or Pacific Northwest College of Art, I really don't know what the hell I will do with my life.
Whoa, slow down there. You don't have to go to art school to pursue a career in design. Hell I went to the University of Idaho, graduated 3 years ago, and now I work for a major game developer (in Vancouver no less) as an Interface Artist. I can't speak for how difficult it is to get into art school (it's not terribly hard from what I've heard) but I'd apply to some more backup schools that offer a BFA program in studio art just in case. Make sure it's a 4-year university and there are more than 50 students in the art department. It doesn't need to be "the best" school money can buy, that's only important if you're going to be a banker, lawyer, or doctor. The portfolio you have at the end of your stint at university will be a thousand times more valuable than your degree.

quote:

Because I am, damnit.
My entire life it has been my silent passion, and something that kept me going through the worst times.
I have a desire to end up working with the internet. Somewhere that could intertwine what I love most, art, and the internet. So graphic design, or whatever these schools call it, I am planning in majoring in.
When I asked myself what was more important, money or passion, I decided that I'd rather go to college for something I LOVE rather than something that would make my life financially easier.
I made the same decision to get into art, almost to a T. I went to an in-state school to get my basics out of the way and ended up staying for the full degree. I never picked graphic/interface design because I thought it would make me rich, I picked it because I wanted master the ability to blend art with technology and be in the forefront of how we can use art with computers.

quote:

[*]How do I put together my portfolio?
[*]Specifically, physically, how do I make it? What do I make it? What do I need in it?
[*]I was thinking (since I am only making 2), taking really great quality photos of my traditional medium work (generally 18"x16")and then printing them and mounting them in a sleek black portfolio on black pages. What did you do, how do I do this better?
You can't go wrong with this as long as it's well constructed. Make sure there's not a single thing "off" about your layout or any stray glue anywhere. If you can, get your artwork photographed professionally and get slides made (my application required slides of my work). This will make future prints of your work much easier, should the need ever arise.
However, this could be a place where you have a chance to show off your creativity. One of the coolest portfolios I saw was from a tattoo artist who mounted pictures of his pieces on corrugated cardboard that was bound together by some metal pieces and two bolts. Don't feel you have to use the standard black pages approach, but getting creative here can be frustrating and you might not have enough time to get it all together how you want it.

Liselle
Oct 27, 2007

A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
First off, Slashie, you are awesome. And I feel much better / less crazy.

More questions, commence!
  • How/where do I go about printing my work? How big, and how high res am I going to want my work digitally? Money's not an issue.
  • How would I go about putting a "commissioned" print job I did (a calendar) into my portfolio? It's a job that I spent 95+ hours on, dealing with a printer, a crazy lady, and over 45 people for media release permission bullshit. It was to raise money for an alumni's daughter who had a cancerous tumor on her face, and would have potentially died if we didn't raise the money to get it removed.
  • What about a short film I directed/edited/wrote/did everything except act in? Is this a bad idea for someone looking to go into graphic design?
  • If it's okay that I am a "plucky self-starter", how do I positively put this across in interviews / essays? I am kind of proud of the fact that I've taught myself nearly everything I know by experimentation, or by talking with artists, or my two professors. But what if they look at my work and go, "Well, you didn't get enough art education, so we can't how you'd do with an education going here blbablabla?"
  • I am really afraid to just call the schools and set up an interview, or anything. I feel as though it's like I am being interviewed just by talking to them. What am I supposed to do?

If only I was 18. I have been 17 for less than 6 months.

On the ACT I received something like a 92 percentile in reading, 90's in writing, and literally 50's in math. 70's in science for a really stupid reason (I had to pee, last test, oh my god it was awful). I am not quite sure that's something to be proud about, because my overall score was a bloody 21 on the stupid ACT scale. I have only taken 1/4th of Algebra II (twice, since I dropped out twice). So I bombbbbbb once the test gets into anything with functions, or I dunno, math stuff.

To Slapdick:
Yes, I was actually planning on applying to a total of 5 schools. University of Washington, Western Washington University, Cornish College of the Arts, PNCA, and ECUAD. The thing is that I have not completed Algebra II, or a 2nd year language (mine would have been Spanish, because that was all that was offered at my school). That disqualifies me from admissions at WWU, UW, and I just didn't really.. want to go to Cornish. I love Oregon, but I have a bit of wanderlust, and I desperately do not want to go to PSU, OSU, UO, or any other state college. That's kind of why I am down to PNCA and ECUAD. I come from a school with a graduating class of 36, me being one of them. That should explain my aversion to big mainstream schools. Both PNCA and ECUAD are right in the range of where I'd like to be.

That being said, oh my, you have something along the lines of my dream job. I've always fantasized about working myself into the game industry. Not in the sense of "Oh my god I must create an amazing RPG with ponies and fairies!" or something, but more doing something like designing UI's, or working with advertising. Mmm, your job sounds so dreamy :swoon:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Liselle posted:

• How/where do I go about printing my work? How big, and how high res am I going to want my work digitally? Money's not an issue. Well, there's always Kinko's, but a mom & pop print shop in your town might get you better quality or a better price, and definitely better service. Look for recommendations on CitySearch or ask around among the artists you know. As far as resolution goes, the higher the better I assume, but one of the artists here should give you specific numbers. I know there are printing standards for resolutions, but I couldn't tell you what they are. 300 dpi?
  • How would I go about putting a "commissioned" print job I did (a calendar) into my portfolio? It's a job that I spent 95+ hours on, dealing with a printer, a crazy lady, and over 45 people for media release permission bullshit. It was to raise money for an alumni's daughter who had a cancerous tumor on her face, and would have potentially died if we didn't raise the money to get it removed. I think you should definitely include that, and I have no idea what would be the best way. Maybe choose your favorite page and put a note at the bottom like "Commissioned work: Calendar for Killer Face Tumor Fightin' Foundation, 2008." I assume it's not gigantic, so you could put it in your bag and bring it with you to interviews just in case someone asks to see the rest of it.
  • What about a short film I directed/edited/wrote/did everything except act in? Is this a bad idea for someone looking to go into graphic design?Not bad but not especially relevant, I think. Mention it in the extracurriculars part of your applications, but I don't think it should go in a non-film portfolio.
  • If it's okay that I am a "plucky self-starter", how do I positively put this across in interviews / essays? I am kind of proud of the fact that I've taught myself nearly everything I know by experimentation, or by talking with artists, or my two professors. But what if they look at my work and go, "Well, you didn't get enough art education, so we can't how you'd do with an education going here blbablabla?" You should be proud and they're not going to say that. You don't have to go to art school before you go into art school. Experimentation and talking to other artists is great. The average public school's art classes are pretty grim anyway, so you probably got a lot more out of what you were doing than kids who only took art classes at their own schools. And you took two college-level art classes, so you can't be completely clueless. I'll reiterate that I'm not at all qualified to look at your portfolio, but someone else here can look and see if you've got any fundamental flaws that you need to address. The main thing to remember is that admissions people aren't evil and don't hate you. They've seen more student work than you or I ever will and they're well aware that a highschooler's work isn't at a professional level yet.
  • I am really afraid to just call the schools and set up an interview, or anything. I feel as though it's like I am being interviewed just by talking to them. What am I supposed to do? Email! I used to chicken out about phone calls when I was your age too, so I did all my college negotiation over email. Just go to the "admissions" page of the school websites - there will be a "contact us" link somewhere. Just write "Hi, I'm Liselle Lastname and I'm interested in your Graphic Design program. Could you send me some information about the application process?" and someone will send you back an extremely enthusiastic email outlining the application form, portfolio submission, and interview procedures. I'm not one of those "Higher education is just a diploma mill my tuition dollars raar" people, but a university is a business and they want you to apply.

If only I was 18. I have been 17 for less than 6 months.
Aw, I was a young senior too! Youngest in my grade, actually. It sucked at times, but being young makes everything you do seem just that little bit more impressive.
On your math issues: Is getting tutoring and retaking that class or the ACT a possibility? I realize how incredibly Not a Good Time that sounds, but I hate to see you put out of the running for state schools over something like that. If you can't/don't want to take it at your school again, most community colleges have high-school math for their students who need catching up.

Slashie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 4, 2009

BitJockey
Nov 20, 2002
Women with big dicks drive Volvos....AND I'AM ONE OF THEM!

Akaikami posted:

Don't go to SCAD. I got punched in the eye riding my bike back to the dorms my first week there. And a few weeks later 4 black kids decided to steal a car, run a redlight, and totally gently caress my car up. It's a great school, but for the pricetag and the neighborhood you have to put up with it's not worth it. Unless you get some godly amount of scholarship money I would not recommend it.

Then you were asking for it. I went to SCAD for 4 years and only got into fights that I chose to get into. It's a cheap, fun, wonderful, historic, interesting place to spend your college years. Don't live in the dorms.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

Liselle posted:

First off, Slashie, you are awesome. And I feel much better / less crazy.

More questions, commence!
  • How/where do I go about printing my work? How big, and how high res am I going to want my work digitally? Money's not an issue.Does your school have a printer? I did my portfolio on a colour laser but that was because I had 3 days notice before the interview, heh. If not, don't you have a photo shop locally that can print off a CD? Print 300dpi, if it's less then no one cares. You're 17, chill out

• How would I go about putting a "commissioned" print job I did (a calendar) into my portfolio? It's a job that I spent 95+ hours on, dealing with a printer, a crazy lady, and over 45 people for media release permission bullshit. It was to raise money for an alumni's daughter who had a cancerous tumor on her face, and would have potentially died if we didn't raise the money to get it removed. Print it out, stick it down to your black card sheets with spraymount/double sided tape. If you're going to be in the room when they first see your portfolio then leave it at that. I had to send a CD portfolio first (so I layed out my work in InDesign, wrote a paragraph about everything and sent as a .PDF), for another uni my friends had to just leave their paper portfolio for a few hours, so again they wrote little descriptions. Don't freak out though - if you're going to be talking them through your portfolio don't write an essay about it in your portfolio!

• What about a short film I directed/edited/wrote/did everything except act in? Is this a bad idea for someone looking to go into graphic design? No that's awesome, maybe take a photo of some pages of storyboards, print some stills, etc etc

• If it's okay that I am a "plucky self-starter", how do I positively put this across in interviews / essays? I am kind of proud of the fact that I've taught myself nearly everything I know by experimentation, or by talking with artists, or my two professors. But what if they look at my work and go, "Well, you didn't get enough art education, so we can't how you'd do with an education going here blbablabla?" No one gives a gently caress if you haven't got any education if you're work is good. Most of the people on my course have no graphics background, didn't know so much as what Helvetica or Illustrator was whilst I had worked full time a designer over the summer. But then again I have no art education at all, couldn't tell you what complementary colour was if you put a gun to my head and haven't picked up a paintbrush for 6 years. Who gives a gently caress. We all evidently showed promise.

I don't know how things work in the US but here we write a little essay with our application - I think it was like 500 words long, maybe less. Just write from the heart, why you love design, EVERYTHING you've done that is vaguely relevant (not 'I did some hentai for DeviantArt when I was 11', but write about the film and the calendar!), show you're passionate, motivated and committed to being :krad:! Say you're working on your time management and networking and this and that, it's all good! They don't want you to be a professional designer (I thought the same thing), as Slashie said, what would be the point of them teaching you?

• I am really afraid to just call the schools and set up an interview, or anything. I feel as though it's like I am being interviewed just by talking to them. What am I supposed to do? Stop worrying about it, they're not big and scary, they want you to come to them so they can say to their academic buddies in 10 years time 'Hey, you know that Liselle? The really famous awesome designer? Yeah, she came HERE, how cool is that?'.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
advice given, post edited

thanks

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 28, 2009

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Ugh, I am having the hardest time finding a good grad school. At this point I'm just tracking down all of my favorite artists and checking what schools they went to, but I have a feeling my ideal school is somewhere I'll never think to look. :(

I wish there were a fine art version of conceptart.org forums only with working/represented painters discussing everything instead of supremely talented 3D modelers.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Hwangin Tough posted:

https://www.m3ta.co.uk

This is my web design portfolio which I would like some feedback on from the perspective of a potential employer
Assuming an employer's perspective, the thing that initially stands out at me is the fact that I do not see a resume and contact info. Even if you give the URL to people you've already talked with or whatever, it's still important to have that info readily visible and available. The portfolio is about marketing yourself, after all, and I see very little of YOU on it, just your projects, so I would have a harder time connecting you with your work.

Hmm, and as for being taken seriously, it's hard for me to say. The designs themselves are basically solid and not that bad, but I've also seen plenty of more impressive web design. For me, front-end web development implies more than just the graphics and look, and in which case, an employer might like to know the process behind these sites, so perhaps describe the systems you've implemented and how the sites work with a bit more detail.

Well, even though I'm not an actual employer or even a web developer (though I've done some freelance web design projects), I hope that helps. And good luck!

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 6, 2009

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

Authentic You posted:

The reason I did not put my cv and contact info on there is because only prospective employers would have that url as it is on my resume. I am not trying to get work from random people searching for a freelance web developer, but intend to apply for permenant front end web dev roles only. I can see your point though and maybe I will have to add my resume and contact info to the page.

Your comment about describing the development in more detail is a good one and something I stupidly hadn't considered because there is so much more I can describe in that regard.

Thanks for your comments and I look forward to further comments from other people.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
You're certainly welcome.

And some more thoughts about having your contact info/resume on your site, even if it's redundant because you've already given the prospective employer the resume. When you have a portfolio with absolutely no reference to your person (even the page title is just 'Portfolio'), it's really easy for anyone looking at it to dissociate. It becomes just some applicant's online portfolio. But if you restate your name, contact info, and have your resume available, then the potential employer reacts more along the lines of, 'So this is Hwanging Tough's portfolio!' The association will be stronger and therefore more memorable. Right now the lack of contact info and even your name makes it really impersonal.

Another thing I thought of is, when you're in the process of looking for a job position and are on alert at all times, what's easier to have on you at all times, a business card or a stack of letter-sized resumes? When you're talking to industry people outside of a formal interview situation, then it's always nice to give them a business card. You link your site on it, and they they can see (more of) your work, and your resume. And once again, the association is there.

But yeah, having your info on your portfolio doesn't mean for a second you're just soliciting yourself as a freelancer to random people who see it on the internet. Even in freelance you need to refer people to your site, work, and resume first. So really, offering easy access to your resume and reference to YOU, from multiple mediums (printed copy, available online, etc), makes you more memorable and accessible, which may prove helpful in landing you a job.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Hwangin Tough posted:

https://www.m3ta.co.uk
I'm not sure why, but sometimes when I load your page the first tab for "Ehouse" doesn't pop open all the way. It fixes itself when I click back from another tab, but it shows up weird the first time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's really important that you have everything on your portfolio. I get a lot of hits to my website from google searches of people looking for resumes. I wouldn't worry about it sending the wrong message because most designers have online portfolios whether or not they're working.

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not sure why, but sometimes when I load your page the first tab for "Ehouse" doesn't pop open all the way. It fixes itself when I click back from another tab, but it shows up weird the first time.
Yeah me too.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

KittenofDoom posted:

Hmm, that's weird it doesn't happen for me in firefox or ie 6 or 7. Hmm must fix that.

I will add my resume as it seems to be the "done thing". I welcome more comments on my original post. Thanks.

Juneko
Aug 31, 2001

Liselle posted:

Because I am, damnit.

Having passion and guts to do what it is you want to do with your life is one thing, actually having a career in that field is another. When it comes to the real world, people aren't going to be interested in arbitrary passion, it'll be a good way to connect with your employee, but more importantly they'll want to know how good of a worker you are, what marketable skills you have, how well you take to direction, that you're able to do the work without having to be monitored all day, that you can work under pressure, that you can meet deadlines, if you can do that with passion then that's what's important, it's business. It's not always going to be something you enjoy either, especially starting out, where you'll be doing a lot of low end jobs to get to a place where you want to be, and it's not always going to be something you like the look of, or can put in your portfolio, that'll be your passion getting you through that. If you want to keep that passion going you may want to consider creating projects in your spare time to stay creative and do something you actually like, and depending on the amount of work you're doing, that time may be limited, but it's that creative work that can help you open doors down the road. You may also consider doing pro bono work where you have full creative rights. But unless you plan on living somewhere like New York or LA or Europe where you can get top end jobs from rich edgy clients who aren't afraid of risk, creative work isn't going to pay the bills.

This is not to crush your dreams, but to say that it's very important you stay realistic and keep a clear head as school can be a real vacuum with no relevance to reality. It's important to consider the career you'll be having once out of school, and what it'll be like on a day to day basis. I went to a university for a bfa in visual communication design for 4 years full of passion only to find out I really hate working in design and it's not what I wanted to do with my life. The program was excellent and highly competitive with only 19 people in my major. While I enjoyed going to school and learning about design, the real world was nothing that I'd hoped it to be. Even working with top end design firms left me sorely disappointed. Needless to say I've learned from my mistakes and don't think it was all for nothing, but I wish I'd had a better idea of what I was getting into and whether it was a good fit for me. Looking back on it, it was definitely something I kinda fell into. Have you done any internships up to this point, or even gone to visit a design firm? Are you prepared to work 12 hours or more a day for multiple days when it comes to crunchtime at a job? Are you a perfectionist when it comes to finding all the mistakes in your work? How available are the jobs in the field you want to be in, and are you willing do something similar until you can find that job? It's important to be prepared for these scenarios and not let your passion get in the way of rational thinking.

quote:

What I desperately need help figuring out:
I don't have any mentors, I only have you, the SA community, and whatever else I can find on the internet (nothing). I really need someone I can talk to, and just get all these boisterous and confounding questions out and answered.
I'm extremely organized, and I have spent nearly three years trying to make this work. And now's the loving time to take action, and I am petrified.
  • How do I put together my portfolio?
  • Specifically, physically, how do I make it? What do I make it? What do I need in it?
  • I was thinking (since I am only making 2), taking really great quality photos of my traditional medium work (generally 18"x16")and then printing them and mounting them in a sleek black portfolio on black pages. What did you do, how do I do this better?

Are there no specifications for what's being looked for in these portfolios on each school's website? Usually a school is very specific about what they're looking for and how they want it presented. Also if you're interested in Emily Carr you may want to look at Capilano University, I find their output of design work to be far superior for a 2 year program and have heard nothing but good things about the teacher student interaction. What's the student to teacher ratio for these programs? What's the competition like? Does the school you're interested in have any career planning services, are they willing to help you find a job and prepare you for the real world?

quote:

• Am I going to be discriminated because I have only had two formal classes of art thanks to going to a Science / Technology magnet school (with lovely funding)?
  • Will the fact that the only classes I've ever failed were math offer cushioning to my semi-lovely GPA?
  • How much will they care about GPA/ACT, and do I even have to take the SAT? Because I dread the math on those things.
  • Oh my god interviews :(, I don't even know what the hell, but they are terrifying.

• Whynot, I don't know, call and ask? Have you gone to these respective campuses for a visit? Have you considered scheduling a visit for a tour and questions? Have you made any communication with the people in charge of the graphic design departments?

quote:

General advice on getting into college much appreciated.

Call and talk to them. Make a list of questions and the things you need to do and tackle the list. Make sure this is really the area you need to go into to get to where you want to be and ask a lot of questions. Talk to professionals who are already where you want to be. I think a lot of that panic you're feeling is due to not knowing what to do and in order to find out what that is, you need to do some thorough research on these schools instead of asking people on here for anecdotal advice that may not necessarily be relevant to what you need. Take charge of what it is you want to do.

Dogcow
    Jun 21, 2005

Hwangin Tough posted:

I really love the design/xhtml/css side of web development so I am trying to get a more focused role which will allow me to become better at these things.

Design and xhtml/css are wholly separate in any job you actually want. If you don't go all in for one or the other you're only going to get jobs like you're current one where they are too cheap or small to pay for two people.

quote:

I know not all of my stuff validates at w3c and I know my graphic design is not amazing. Really what I need is some feedback on whether I should leave websites out that do not validate. One of my sites for example - I know for a fact it does not work in ie6... should I omit it from my portfolio for this reason?

A lot of my stuff has also since been tweaked by other people and they have caused the site to not validate due to certain bad practices - should I include these in the hope I can explain this in interview?

For the most part no one who matters (cuts your paycheck) will care about validation. If you're interviewing with an actual developer you might mention why it doesn't validate and you know why but by and large they won't care either. Web standards are nice and all but 90% of it is Slashdot style nitpicky bullshit no one but other nerds will care about. You only ever have to worry about disability compliance (called 508 in the US) if you're working for the government or building some massive web app (think Amazon).

quote:

Do I have any possiblity of being taken seriously if I apply for a front end web developer role or am I wasting my time? This is kind of my dream job and although I am mostly happy with my current job, the "jack of all trades" aspect of it does cause me stress at times and I really feel I would thrive as a front end web developer given the chance.

Sure, but sorry to sound like a big dick but I can't imagine how it would be anyone's dream job. Let me reiterate design and production are two wholly separate disciplines at anywhere you really would want to work. As such that means you have to decide on one or the other. Development will be way, way easier to get into/move forward in, but general front-end production stuff is not in any way creative. You get a bunch of Photoshop comps and put a page together, that's about it.

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofGravity
    Jun 20, 2005
    Fun Shoe
    Anyone have any advice on getting into creative advertising?
    I have an associates in Graphic Design and a bachelors in Advertising and I'm currently a Graphic Artist at a local newspaper. I would really like to move into a creative role at an agency as I enjoy coming up with ad/campaign concepts, copy writing, and the production of ads. During my job search after graduation it seemed like all I came across was posting for graphic designers or sales/media positions at agencies. I had a couple interviews for graphic designer positions but always got the feeling that I wasn't a good enough designer for what they wanted. (I'll be the first to admit my portfolio is a bit light/weak, don't have a lot of outstanding projects to put in)

Should I keep trying for design positions at agencies? Is there some other 'generic creative services' position that places have that I should look at instead? When fleshing out my portfolio is it ok to include all these lovely little newspaper ads I've been churning out for the past couple months? Any advice would be much appreciated.