Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Social Animal posted:

There was this old Chinese warez cd back in the day (95 or 96 maybe?) that had this game where you rode around in futuristic motorcycles around a huge arena shooting other cycles. I remember the arena being huge with all sorts of obstacles and flips. The graphics were in 3d as well and I think it was playable online. Any ideas?

Rocket Jockey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedmanJB
Feb 10, 2008
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.
Ok there was this one game on a compilation shareware CD called

250 Best Arcade Games. I have since lost the disc but there is one game which I wondering if anyone can put a name on..

It was a 2D Galaga-style vertical side scroller. It had more flashier updated graphics then that classic though. It had a static star background and you would defeat each wave and then a new one would come. I believe you only had a standard laser weapon and you could press B for Bombs which you could throw.

I think there was close to 75 or 150 waves (these could be wrong) before your ship docked or flew into some station and then there was more. My memory is hazy, but I seem to remember the color green a lot.

RedmanJB fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 11, 2008

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
About a year ago I played this WWII RTS/action game, very similar to Blitzkrieg 2. You could actually manually control the movement and firing of individual units via keyboard, besides the obvious mouse controls.
The game itself is quite recent, probably between 1 to 2 years old at this point, pretty nice graphics and excellent gameplay.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to its title.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

RedmanJB posted:

It was a 2D Galaga-style vertical side scroller. It had more flashier updated graphics then that classic though. It had a static star background and you would defeat each wave and then a new one would come. I believe you only had a standard laser weapon and you could press B for Bombs which you could throw.

I think there was close to 75 or 150 waves (these could be wrong) before your ship docked or flew into some station and then there was more. My memory is hazy, but I seem to remember the color green a lot.

Deluxe Galaga became Warblade, so it could be either of those. However, you didn't press B for bomb as far as I can remember.

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
I just want to know the name of the game in this image.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Insonix posted:

I just want to know the name of the game in this image.

This is Cortex Command

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

WARnold posted:

About a year ago I played this WWII RTS/action game, very similar to Blitzkrieg 2. You could actually manually control the movement and firing of individual units via keyboard, besides the obvious mouse controls.
The game itself is quite recent, probably between 1 to 2 years old at this point, pretty nice graphics and excellent gameplay.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to its title.

Does Soldiers fit the bill?

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

GrandpaPants posted:

This is Cortex Command

I just downloaded this and played a little bit and the controls are really loving hard.

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!

Kammat posted:

Does Soldiers fit the bill?

Unfortunately no, but this is very similar to the game i'm looking for, by the looks of it.
Thanks though!

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
Maybe about 15 years ago I had this dumb little game that I thought was part of a Microsoft Entertainment Pack but I've looked at those and haven't found it. All it was was a rectangle with a bunch of black lines that made various shapes. You had maybe four colors to work with and the goal was to fill in all the shapes so that no touching shapes are the same color. No one's ever been able to tell me what game this is so I made a bad reproduction of a game in progress:

I miss the game so much I actually had fun making that :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Devi posted:

Maybe about 15 years ago I had this dumb little game that I thought was part of a Microsoft Entertainment Pack but I've looked at those and haven't found it. All it was was a rectangle with a bunch of black lines that made various shapes. You had maybe four colors to work with and the goal was to fill in all the shapes so that no touching shapes are the same color. No one's ever been able to tell me what game this is so I made a bad reproduction of a game in progress:

I miss the game so much I actually had fun making that :(

That sounds like a game based on the four color theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the first games I ever played on the NES back when my sister and I played together (I was about...9? So that would make this 1990-91, I think) was a top-down little action puzzler where you played a green-cloaked, black-haired elf girl out to save the prince/her boyfriend from a wicked witch. I remember it mostly because I thought this concept was novel for the time. I can't remember much about the graphics or game play other than it reminds me of Bomberman or other top-down action games in the regard that each stage was a limited field (the only stages my sister and I could beat were all forest themed) that required you to shoot bugs and beasts with your bow and arrow and collect keys to move to the next area. What has frustrated me is I know I played it on the NES and have tried to find it since, but I can't remember the name. I've consulted resources that purported to document every game to have ever come out on the NES and still can't find it (really, apart from the picture of the graphics in my head and the concept, I can't remember much else).

Anyone got even an inkling what this game might be called?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Arkista's Ring fits most of the details.

eeme
Oct 31, 2007

Whatever. Let's go get tacos.
I'm looking for an old MS-DOS drag race/car tuning game. While racing the camera view was behind the wheel and you could see the other driver from your rear view mirror. You tuned your car in your carage, camera view was from the side of the car. You could buy new parts by looking at newspaper ads and find races outside a fast food store (?)

edit. Street Rod

eeme fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 29, 2008

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Old Windows edutainment game. Generic non-licensed superheroes teach math in 4 minigames. One of them involved making action figures to learn ratios/proportion.
First part of the intro was
'Nighttime in the city that never sleeps..."

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Riverdeep/Mighty-Math

Maybe it's Mighty Math Calculating Crew.

My request - An old PSX game I had on a demo disc. You were some type of malevolent entity or poltergeist. Your job was to set up booby traps and such in a house, and it was your goal to influence visitors into your traps. I remember it looked sorta like Resident Evil. I'm fairly sure it wasn't "Poltergeist." It was a weird title, possibly foreign.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kameh posted:

My request - An old PSX game I had on a demo disc. You were some type of malevolent entity or poltergeist. Your job was to set up booby traps and such in a house, and it was your goal to influence visitors into your traps. I remember it looked sorta like Resident Evil. I'm fairly sure it wasn't "Poltergeist." It was a weird title, possibly foreign.

Tecmo's Deception, or one of its sequels.

I'm looking for a game I read about a few months ago and don't believe has come out yet. I don't remember what system it's for. It's a collection of "old" games by a fictional company, or a collection of new games made to resemble retro games, something like that. I remember it includes a full-length RPG. I had this exact idea a couple years ago, and am delighted that someone is actually making it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 29, 2008

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Kameh posted:

http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Riverdeep/Mighty-Math

Maybe it's Mighty Math Calculating Crew.

Looks like it was Number Heroes. Thanks!

Dr. Meat
Mar 20, 2005
Trust me, I'm a doctor
Alright I have a friend right now who is driving himself insane trying to remember the name of this game that our elementary school had in its computer lab. Probably around 1993 or 94 or so? I believe it was set in space and you were driving some kind of space car thing down a track which had holes and barricades and tunnels and poo poo in it. The track was blue, I think... My friend thinks it may have had "astro" in the title but I don't remember, myself. I honestly can't remember if it was Windows or Mac, sorry.

When I say 1993, I mean it was probably just out by then, not that it came out or was new then... these memories are extremely fuzzy. Any help is much appreciated.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Dr. Meat posted:

Alright I have a friend right now who is driving himself insane trying to remember the name of this game that our elementary school had in its computer lab. Probably around 1993 or 94 or so? I believe it was set in space and you were driving some kind of space car thing down a track which had holes and barricades and tunnels and poo poo in it. The track was blue, I think... My friend thinks it may have had "astro" in the title but I don't remember, myself. I honestly can't remember if it was Windows or Mac, sorry.

When I say 1993, I mean it was probably just out by then, not that it came out or was new then... these memories are extremely fuzzy. Any help is much appreciated.

Pretty sure this is Skyroads.
http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/skyroads/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

I'm looking for a game I read about a few months ago and don't believe has come out yet. I don't remember what system it's for. It's a collection of "old" games by a fictional company, or a collection of new games made to resemble retro games, something like that. I remember it includes a full-length RPG. I had this exact idea a couple years ago, and am delighted that someone is actually making it.

Retro Game Challenge.

Dr. Meat
Mar 20, 2005
Trust me, I'm a doctor

Zushio posted:

Pretty sure this is Skyroads.
http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/skyroads/

You are a wonderful person, you know that? I'm not kidding. You have made two nostalgic nerds very happy.

Also I'm surprised I got the year exactly right, haha. I was just guessing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rock Tumbler posted:

Retro Game Challenge.

Thank you! I hadn't actually seen screenshots for this before. I cannot wait to play this.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I just remembered a game I played as a kid with my brother. It was (I think) a point-and-click adventure, set on a damaged giant spaceship in the far future. I remember a REALLY awesome 3D cutscene involving the ship in the beginning. I know I was never being able to get past this one corridor that had a hull breach in it. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."
There is a rather old game I'm looking for. A space game, presumably, where you control a little sphere that shoots bullets. A whole variety of enemies show up and it gets progressively harder, but it all takes place on one screen. It was for the Macintosh, black and white, and was around maybe 15-20 years ago.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Adeptus Mechanicus posted:

Ok, this is an old one, but if someone else asked for it, I missed it.

System: Apple II, or possibly ancient IBM compatible.
Genre: Proto-fps

What I remember: You where in a maze, looking through the eyes of your orb-face thing (flat line art only). You had a fly swatter, and some sort of ranged weapon. It was multi-player (Which I remember being a big deal). You didn't do much but move around the maze killing other players? Anyway I was four at the time, so my memory might be very foggy.

Any help?

It was probably MIDI Maze for the Atari ST. It was ported to the SNES and Game Boy under the title Faceball 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Maze

BillyRubin posted:

There is a rather old game I'm looking for. A space game, presumably, where you control a little sphere that shoots bullets. A whole variety of enemies show up and it gets progressively harder, but it all takes place on one screen. It was for the Macintosh, black and white, and was around maybe 15-20 years ago.

Crystal Quest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Quest

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Event Spire posted:

I just remembered a game I played as a kid with my brother. It was (I think) a point-and-click adventure, set on a damaged giant spaceship in the far future. I remember a REALLY awesome 3D cutscene involving the ship in the beginning. I know I was never being able to get past this one corridor that had a hull breach in it. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?
I haven't played either of them in a long, long time, but could this be either Sentient or Spaceship Warlock? Do you know what year you played it in?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Old computer game. 2D platformer where you could be one of 3 characters: Freddy/Harry(?), Diane and a baby/alien/dog or something. When you selected a character, it would say their name loudly in a New York accent. It was light-hearted and kinda short. There were aliens. It wasn't MS-DOS or Commander Keen old, more like a small, possibly independent project from the late 90s. The early levels were outside, then inside and the later levels were dark and in alien worlds. It was fun, but definitely wasn't that memorable since I strangely can't remember any relevant details. Maybe it was a dream.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 30, 2008

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
There was a driving arena combat game for the N64 which I used to play a LOT. I remember that you could use special powers depending on what vehicle you were driving, and that it was really gross and crude. What I really remembered was a vehicle that was a school bus, kids and all. When you used your special they would throw rocks or stink bombs out of the windows or some crazy poo poo like that. I really want to play this game again.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Thello posted:

I haven't played either of them in a long, long time, but could this be either Sentient or Spaceship Warlock? Do you know what year you played it in?

Sorry, I don't remember what year it was. Sometime in the mid-90s, though. It wasn't either of those games, but thanks for the help.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Event Spire posted:

If it was a funny point and click it could very well have been Starship Titanic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic
http://www.starshiptitanic.com/

Could easily be too modern though given your time frame.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, this was a DOS game. It was kind of a point and click sim game, the premise of which the earth had gotten all hosed up, and humanity had fled to different planets, who were now hostile with each other in a lot of cases. You started on the moon, I think, and had to build scout ships to search for minerals, mining ships, additions to your base (I think), fighter ships, and turrets (I think) for defense. I think it was the Martian colony who was always trying to gently caress your poo poo up. Anyone know this one? I've been looking for it for ages and can't remember the drat name to save my life, and can't find my old floppy disc of it to check either.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, this was a DOS game. It was kind of a point and click sim game, the premise of which the earth had gotten all hosed up, and humanity had fled to different planets, who were now hostile with each other in a lot of cases. You started on the moon, I think, and had to build scout ships to search for minerals, mining ships, additions to your base (I think), fighter ships, and turrets (I think) for defense. I think it was the Martian colony who was always trying to gently caress your poo poo up. Anyone know this one? I've been looking for it for ages and can't remember the drat name to save my life, and can't find my old floppy disc of it to check either.

Millennium.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Zushio posted:

If it was a funny point and click it could very well have been Starship Titanic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic
http://www.starshiptitanic.com/

Could easily be too modern though given your time frame.

Nope, but thanks. It was 'realistic' and wasn't humorous at all, at least not that I can remember.

On the plus side, I just remembered playing the game Cyberia (which owned. Really hard). Since that was about the same time, I'm gonna put the space game I'm trying to recall between 1994 and 1996.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Millennium.

Yes! Thank you!

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Aerobic Robot posted:

There was a driving arena combat game for the N64 which I used to play a LOT. I remember that you could use special powers depending on what vehicle you were driving, and that it was really gross and crude. What I really remembered was a vehicle that was a school bus, kids and all. When you used your special they would throw rocks or stink bombs out of the windows or some crazy poo poo like that. I really want to play this game again.

I'm thinking this is Vigilante 8.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

Angrycel posted:

Askd this before and I dont think anyone answered it. There was a game on the sinclair spectrum where you were a guy in a spaceship and you had to get through doors and collect fuel, not sure why. I remember the spaceship being black floored and the guy you were was white. That is really vague I know but someone might have an idea.

JetPac, maybe?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I have two. First, a pretty old PC game, maybe around 1990 or so. It probably came installed on the computer by default. It was viewed from the side and you had a little spaceship you flew around in above the terrain and shoot enemies. The screen would pan to the left and right, but if you went too far to the left or right you would loop around to the other side. I'm not sure what the purpose of the game was, other than blowing the crap out of aliens, but I do remember there was a button you could press that would make you go into hyperspace, which had vertical lines whizzing by, and then you would randomly appear somewhere else on the map. Like most games from that era, I think most of the screen was black.

The second game is probably easier to get. It was a PC game from around 1995 (I'm guessing), and you flew around in a little helicopter and your mission was to rescue some scientists that were scattered around, stranded. It was also viewed from the side and there were enemy ships you had to shoot. You started out above ground, but you also had to fly in some caverns below ground to find some scientists.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

DorianGravy posted:

I have two. First, a pretty old PC game, maybe around 1990 or so. It probably came installed on the computer by default. It was viewed from the side and you had a little spaceship you flew around in above the terrain and shoot enemies. The screen would pan to the left and right, but if you went too far to the left or right you would loop around to the other side. I'm not sure what the purpose of the game was, other than blowing the crap out of aliens, but I do remember there was a button you could press that would make you go into hyperspace, which had vertical lines whizzing by, and then you would randomly appear somewhere else on the map. Like most games from that era, I think most of the screen was black.

Sounds like Defender or Stargate, but 1990 seems a little late for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrycel
Feb 22, 2006

Gleng posted:

JetPac, maybe?

Thats it! It is different to how I remember it but it was a long time ago ha.

• Locked thread