Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I really like the animation in this game. They're very fluid, even though the graphics are lovely.

I think they actually used mo-cap for ToS2, unlike with the other 3d Tales games which were hand-animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

I really like the animation in this game. They're very fluid, even though the graphics are lovely.
Emil deserves a good punch to the face, but he's one quick, aerial bastard; way different than Yuri's slow, combo-ey self.
I'm starting to get the hang of the monster system. Right now I have a Fenrir and a Werebear I use all the time and they are hell of strong.
Also, abusing the Quest system so you get better weapons/armors easily breaks the game, seeing how the rewards are randomized each time you speak with the Katz and can just speak with him until the rewards are swords you're not even supposed to get in that chapter.

The weapon/armor rewards from quests stop being good once you can synth better items. I went for synth materials/manuscripts later on. S ranks give you Silver Manuscripts, which are like a free 50k exp for a monster.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BurningCourage posted:

I think they actually used mo-cap for ToS2, unlike with the other 3d Tales games which were hand-animated.

I noticed. Sometimes the textures freak out during more complex animations, though, like Marta or Richter's hair or Colette's dress.

quote:

The weapon/armor rewards from quests stop being good once you can synth better items. I went for synth materials/manuscripts later on. S ranks give you Silver Manuscripts, which are like a free 50k exp for a monster.
I got a Black Sword in Chapter 3. They are not normally available until Chapter 6. It's awesome.

Also, do weapons teach abilities like in ToV? I really haven't been able to figure that out.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I noticed. Sometimes the textures freak out during more complex animations, though, like Marta or Richter's hair or Colette's dress.

I got a Black Sword in Chapter 3. They are not normally available until Chapter 6. It's awesome.

Also, do weapons teach abilities like in ToV? I really haven't been able to figure that out.

No, they don't. When you look at the details of an item and it starts naming skills, it's just the skills that are innate to that item.

So a Mystic Symbol offers Speed Cast 2. You won't be able to learn it, but when you have a Mystic Symbol equipped it would be as though you had the skill Speed Cast 2 equipped.

Emil and Marta won't learn many skills throughout the game. I think they top out around 15-20, mostly based on their intended purpose (Emil with sky/arte combos, Marta with ground/speed skills). The cool thing though is that different sources of the same skill can stack. If Marta equips Speed Cast 2 (her natural skill) and equips 2 Mystic Symbols (2 different sources of Speed Cast 2), she'll be casting so fast her TP will drop like a rock in the first 10 seconds of combat (if anything even lives for 10 seconds of her spamming Prism Sword).

It makes for really ridiculous battles if you manage to train up a Ravenous and give him a bunch of spell manuscripts. Bloody Howling every 2-3 seconds with an Arte Attack rating of 6000+ makes everything too easy.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

My friend is having a problem in Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World in the Iselia Human Ranch. When you go to get key card three there is that super fast leech thing that you have to fight. The battle is insane and he can't beat it even though he is a pretty high level. Does anyone else remember this battle? Is there some secret to success?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

THS posted:

My friend is having a problem in Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World in the Iselia Human Ranch. When you go to get key card three there is that super fast leech thing that you have to fight. The battle is insane and he can't beat it even though he is a pretty high level. Does anyone else remember this battle? Is there some secret to success?

it's optional, just run away.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Goddamn I missed out on the Twilight Palace dungeon. loving SEND LUNCH TO MY HUSBAND quests flooding the queue.

So right now I've got a Fenrir (absolutely beastly, seems to gain a level every fight) and a Wolf Heddir (could be better) and Marta and Emil are very light in magic and I'm wondering, what's a good magic-based monster for my team, and where can I find one?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I kinda like the Selkies. I think they can get Concentrate AND Relax, which means they have both reliability and endurance.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn I missed out on the Twilight Palace dungeon. loving SEND LUNCH TO MY HUSBAND quests flooding the queue.

So right now I've got a Fenrir (absolutely beastly, seems to gain a level every fight) and a Wolf Heddir (could be better) and Marta and Emil are very light in magic and I'm wondering, what's a good magic-based monster for my team, and where can I find one?

Capture a Ghost (or Phantom, it really doesn't matter since evolutions are looped) and train him up in all 3 paths so he gets all the skills. His real end-path requires a special evolution stone made with a Philosopher's Stone (which you can easily get in the Meltokio Arena, Special Rank Party Battle or in chests on S-rank Quests) and he turns into a Ravenous. He learns most of the novice/intermediate elemental spells and all of the Dark spells I believe. Teach him the rest via grimoires and you'll be set.

I don't remember where Ghosts show up but there's probably some in the Temple of Darkness.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Absolute Zero (who released the first ToP translation patch) and Phantasian Productions are now fan translating Tales of Destiny PS2 Director's Cut. A menu patch is almost ready, and after that a full translation of the game will commence. Nice to see the game finally in English.

http://www.tales-cless.org/
http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/happy-new-year/

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Well, yeah, but I'm really looking forward to the ToD2 translation - you know, the console Tales that hasn't come out in the US? Still cool, though. They do a ton of work on this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy poo poo ToS 2 gets downright mean by the end.

So you're telling me Emil is a summon spirit inhabiting the body of a kid he brutally murdered, filled with the memories of another dead kid, and he plans on having his new friends and the love of his life murder him so he can act as a seal to prevent demons from destroying the Earth? Pretty heavy stuff, considering how lighthearted most of the game had been.

Also, what was the deal with the Masks Lloyd kept dropping throughout the game? I got two, but they never had any function. Were they just for show? Why was Lloyd wearing them?

I got the good ending, I think (Emil and Marta got new titles after the ending movie). What happens in the other endings?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo ToS 2 gets downright mean by the end.

So you're telling me Emil is a summon spirit inhabiting the body of a kid he brutally murdered, filled with the memories of another dead kid, and he plans on having his new friends and the love of his life murder him so he can act as a seal to prevent demons from destroying the Earth? Pretty heavy stuff, considering how lighthearted most of the game had been.

Also, what was the deal with the Masks Lloyd kept dropping throughout the game? I got two, but they never had any function. Were they just for show? Why was Lloyd wearing them?

I got the good ending, I think (Emil and Marta got new titles after the ending movie). What happens in the other endings?

if you intentionally miss the lightning core, you'll pick up Lloyd's third mask, and then there's an event later where you get the fourth mask and a title.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

if you intentionally miss the lightning core, you'll pick up Lloyd's third mask, and then there's an event later where you get the fourth mask and a title.

You don't get the scene where Emil and Marta get new titles at the ending if you do that.

Also, Tales of Symphonia has some pretty brutal stuff too - I really feel sorry for every one of the Four Seraphim.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

wdarkk posted:

You don't get the scene where Emil and Marta get new titles at the ending if you do that.

Also, Tales of Symphonia has some pretty brutal stuff too - I really feel sorry for every one of the Four Seraphim.

And most of the stuff is optional. I mean, you find out Yuan was Martel's fiance by way of a completely random sidequest.
Also, I read that if you follow the timeline of events, Regal's girlfriend was 11 and he was 16 when he killed her or something like that.
Little things like that help cement the fact that even if ToS is the epitome of clichés, it's still pretty tragic.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

And most of the stuff is optional. I mean, you find out Yuan was Martel's fiance by way of a completely random sidequest.
Also, I read that if you follow the timeline of events, Regal's girlfriend was 11 and he was 16 when he killed her or something like that.
Little things like that help cement the fact that even if ToS is the epitome of clichés, it's still pretty tragic.

the thing about Regal killing his girlfriend or whatever was like a big deal is Tales of Symphonia, it was Presea's younger sister and she turned into a monster because of an Exsphere, which was then on her grave and held her ghost inside it. . . that game was a little weird.

Also getting the title from the Lloyd masks is something you should save for subsequent playthroughs, since yeah you can't get the best ending if you miss the cores.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
For what it's worth, I felt like the grade was given rather freely in TOS2 compared to others. I didn't try to do anything toward whoring grade in my playthrough and still somehow ended up with enough to buy basically everything for the next, which is rather unlike TOS1 and other Tales games I've played. It's more of a 2-games-for-everything system, instead of first-game normal, second-game for grade whoring with the grade+ option, then third game for all the good newgame+ options.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

For what it's worth, I felt like the grade was given rather freely in TOS2 compared to others. I didn't try to do anything toward whoring grade in my playthrough and still somehow ended up with enough to buy basically everything for the next, which is rather unlike TOS1 and other Tales games I've played. It's more of a 2-games-for-everything system, instead of first-game normal, second-game for grade whoring with the grade+ option, then third game for all the good newgame+ options.

Yeah, I didn't GRADE grind either and I ended up with over 12,000 on my first playthrough. Sort of disappointing in a way.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Calaveron posted:

Also, I read that if you follow the timeline of events, Regal's girlfriend was 11 and he was 16 when he [spoiler]killed her or something like that.

I'd really like to know about this one, we always figured that they were something like 20 and 18 or something. 16 and 11 is a little wierd.

Edit: I think I just figured it out. Since Presea was the older sister and she looks 12, Alicia must have been younger than that, but was she killed shortly after Presea was frozen in age or maybe some years after?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Aaaaagh I don't know how I am ever going to beat Nebilim in ToTA on Very Hard without dedicating half the day to whittling down her HP and hoping my supply of TP recovery items lasts longer than she does.

That or getting another 50 or so levels.

640000 HP and any sort of physical attack barely does 30 damage are you f'in serious. :suicide:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

EngineerSean posted:

I'd really like to know about this one, we always figured that they were something like 20 and 18 or something. 16 and 11 is a little wierd.

Edit: I think I just figured it out. Since Presea was the older sister and she looks 12, Alicia must have been younger than that, but was she killed shortly after Presea was frozen in age or maybe some years after?

I interpret it as before being frozen, since she was aware of what had happened.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Aaaaagh I don't know how I am ever going to beat Nebilim in ToTA on Very Hard without dedicating half the day to whittling down her HP and hoping my supply of TP recovery items lasts longer than she does.

That or getting another 50 or so levels.

640000 HP and any sort of physical attack barely does 30 damage are you f'in serious. :suicide:

I know how you feel. I'm having a hard time trying to do it on Normal (I'm still on my first playthrough) with everyone approximately around Level 75 and equipped with the Colosseum weapons. Even when I use the All-Divide after taking her down to 50% HP, she throws out so many powerful Artes in such quick succession that completely wipes out my team and I can't keep up with my items.

I suppose this gives me a reason to keep on gathering Grade while I grind for more experience. Though I've already been through Eldrant forward and back on Hard at least four times and it's starting to wear thin.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Edward IV posted:

I know how you feel. I'm having a hard time trying to do it on Normal (I'm still on my first playthrough) with everyone approximately around Level 75 and equipped with the Colosseum weapons. Even when I use the All-Divide after taking her down to 50% HP, she throws out so many powerful Artes in such quick succession that completely wipes out my team and I can't keep up with my items.

I suppose this gives me a reason to keep on gathering Grade while I grind for more experience. Though I've already been through Eldrant forward and back on Hard at least four times and it's starting to wear thin.

I beat her my first time through at about 61 using Luke, Tear, Jade, and Guy just by running around as Tear and doing nothing but Ressurection. All her favorite spells beside Ground Dasher have a long enough window that you can get a cast in as long as Tear has her skills that speed up cast times and Rhythm. The Faerie Ring from the exhibition match helps too. And if she uses Blessed Drops in the right spot you can turn Resurrection into Revitalize and get more for your money. If you're feeling dangerous and have a Sunlight Chamber, you could Invoke Aqua and do it yourself.

Basically just run and cast and let the guys whittle her down while you stay the gently caress away and taunt while there's no one dead so you can throw in an Innocent Shine here and there. I really wish all the good Mystic Artes could be used more than once.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Speaking of the Nebilim quest, how many other Tales games have it? The only ones I know of (that I've played) are Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss. Tales of Vesperia had a variation in the quest (you still got the weapons, just fought a different person to unlock them).

Also, what's the point in giving you a weapon with power equal to your kill count if the weapon doesn't transfer over to a New Game+? You tend to unlock the weapons so late into the game that you don't have a real chance to use them. The only Tales I've played where equipment was transferable was Vesperia, hence giving these "Nebilim" weapons some actual use (yeah your kill count was erased every time but cheesing the Coliseum can fix that if you like).

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Just finished Tales of Vesperia. I thought it was a fantastic game and the character development was top notch. Too bad I finished it and its time for another game, hopefully looking forward to a Tales game on the PS3.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

For those of you that finished Tales of Vesperia, if I didn't do some of the boss special missions for the achievements, or bothered with using those item analyzation items, have I missed anything in-game other than achievements? Also, if I decide to new game +, will I be able to pick up everything I missed originally in a second play-through?

Also, when can I start backtracking through the world? I sold some of the most basic starter weapons and I want to backtrack to buy and learn their synthesis upgraded skills. I'm currently in that Caer-Basomething or other city, do I have much to go?

Finally, after I get the +1 version of a weapon, is it safe to sell it after I've learned all of its skills or are even those going to be needed later?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

Also, what's the point in giving you a weapon with power equal to your kill count if the weapon doesn't transfer over to a New Game+? You tend to unlock the weapons so late into the game that you don't have a real chance to use them. The only Tales I've played where equipment was transferable was Vesperia, hence giving these "Nebilim" weapons some actual use (yeah your kill count was erased every time but cheesing the Coliseum can fix that if you like).

I thought this was pretty stupid too since half of the "super" Mystic Artes all required weapons you could only get in the last quarter of the game, and the best armor and dolls and accessories are all a pain in the rear end to get the items for.

EDIT:

OxMan posted:

For those of you that finished Tales of Vesperia, if I didn't do some of the boss special missions for the achievements, or bothered with using those item analyzation items, have I missed anything in-game other than achievements? Also, if I decide to new game +, will I be able to pick up everything I missed originally in a second play-through?

Also, when can I start backtracking through the world? I sold some of the most basic starter weapons and I want to backtrack to buy and learn their synthesis upgraded skills. I'm currently in that Caer-Basomething or other city, do I have much to go?

Finally, after I get the +1 version of a weapon, is it safe to sell it after I've learned all of its skills or are even those going to be needed later?

The point to doing all the Secret Missions is the bonus XP, items, and Yuri's True Knight costume. And yes NG+ is like starting a brand spanking new game, you can do everything and pick up everything again.

You can sort of start back tracking once you get the boat, which is shortly after the first "part" of the game. You'll know you're past the first part when you get the 100g Achievement. You'll need to back track anyways to start a couple important sidequests.

Never sell weapons. It's not worth it.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 7, 2009

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

I thought this was pretty stupid too since half of the "super" Mystic Artes all required weapons you could only get in the last quarter of the game, and the best armor and dolls and accessories are all a pain in the rear end to get the items for.

This is kind of traditional in JRPGs.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

wdarkk posted:

Not arguing that. I'm saying that it's irritating to have to get them all a second time.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

SpazmasterX posted:

EDIT:

The point to doing all the Secret Missions is the bonus XP, items, and Yuri's True Knight costume. And yes NG+ is like starting a brand spanking new game, you can do everything and pick up everything again.

You can sort of start back tracking once you get the boat, which is shortly after the first "part" of the game. You'll know you're past the first part when you get the 100g Achievement. You'll need to back track anyways to start a couple important sidequests.

Never sell weapons. It's not worth it.

Thanks! What DOES carry over in an NG+ anyways?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

OxMan posted:

Thanks! What DOES carry over in an NG+ anyways?

Everything, as long as you got the Grade for it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Everything, as long as you got the Grade for it.

Everything except Key Items, so don't plan on busting out Overlimit on the very first fight. Also, kill count doesn't transfer.

If you're planning on making your 2nd playthrough a complete one, you should save up about 15,000 GRADE for stuff like 10x XP, Transfer Items, Transfer Artes, etc. I originally didn't want to transfer Artes cause I enjoyed unlocking them, but the Artes that improve with usage are a pain to build up. Rita's Fireball, for instance, gains another fireball for every 500 uses (up to 10 fireballs total). My roommate spent a pretty long time building her up and didn't want to spend even more time getting her back up there. Estelle's Pow Hammer also has a 100% chance to stun at 9999 uses I believe.

Has anyone done the Speedster (beat game in under 15 hours) or Low Level Challenger (beat Barbos with your party under level 15) achievement? I'm thinking about doing them when I get access to the 360 again (it's at my college apartment).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

Everything except Key Items, so don't plan on busting out Overlimit on the very first fight. Also, kill count doesn't transfer.

Ah, I forgot about that because you can synth pretty much everything again at the first shop. But you can't do the Overlimit ones because you need an Overlimit Duo, and you only get one of those at a certain point.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Eddain posted:

Has anyone done the Speedster (beat game in under 15 hours) or Low Level Challenger (beat Barbos with your party under level 15) achievement? I'm thinking about doing them when I get access to the 360 again (it's at my college apartment).

Yeah, they are both incredibly easy to do on a new game+. Just make sure to take 1/2 exp in the grade shop to do low level challenger and only fight bosses on the way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Not to mention Mystic Artes in this game are ridiculously overpowered. At least in Symphonia 2 you need to be high-leveled for them to be as powerful as the ones in Vesperia.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Not to mention Mystic Artes in this game are ridiculously overpowered. At least in Symphonia 2 you need to be high-leveled for them to be as powerful as the ones in Vesperia.

They seem reasonably powerful enough. Yuri's isn't that great until you get Hit Plus, and Rita and Estelle's are one big hit. You might be thrown off by the Burst Artes you supplement them with, especially all of Rita's Drives which are ri-loving-diculous at level 4.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

They seem reasonably powerful enough. Yuri's isn't that great until you get Hit Plus, and Rita and Estelle's are one big hit. You might be thrown off by the Burst Artes you supplement them with, especially all of Rita's Drives which are ri-loving-diculous at level 4.

Not to mention the X Tension line of Skills give Yuri unlimited Overlimits with some simple Arte planning.

Pulling off a 150 combo with Mystic Arte against a Gigantor is great.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I read that you can extend Emil's Mystic Arte by holding B during it at some point, and he adds on the crazy energy ball move that he did in the Shadow Temple. Has anyone been able to pull this off? Cause I couldn't, and I like killing things.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I read that you can extend Emil's Mystic Arte by holding B during it at some point, and he adds on the crazy energy ball move that he did in the Shadow Temple. Has anyone been able to pull this off? Cause I couldn't, and I like killing things.

After Emil does his initial attacks and that cutscene pops in (where the name of the attack appears at the top), press and hold B. At the end of his Mystic Arte he'll do the extension. The thing is, it really sucks. Really, really sucks. And it takes up more TP to do it.

You lose the ability to use the extension as part of plot, though. When Emil seals away Ratatosk in his mind, you lose access to the extension since it was originally Ratatosk's ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

After Emil does his initial attacks and that cutscene pops in (where the name of the attack appears at the top), press and hold B. At the end of his Mystic Arte he'll do the extension. The thing is, it really sucks. Really, really sucks. And it takes up more TP to do it.

You lose the ability to use the extension as part of plot, though. When Emil seals away Ratatosk in his mind, you lose access to the extension since it was originally Ratatosk's ability.

that's loving lovely, and no wonder I couldn't do it, I was trying after that part.