Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Yoozer posted:

Logic.

Also, Digidesign's were polished up nicely.

SYNTHS? I know Logic has great effects, but synths?
Also, the Logic answer is not workable for people on a PC platform, obviously.

Yoozer posted:

I have absolutely nothing against FL Studio but you're saying this when you prefer something with skins, shiny buttons all in the same metal colors and a tiling background and its own animu mascot.

Lot of loving hostility from you, buddy. Sorry I'm not into the whole vector design style of Ableton and take no issue with stupid logos and such, and prefer something that has what appears to be an actual interface. And for the record champ, I still use Ableton for live performance because it does the job of playing back files decent enough.

Halo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Halo posted:

Sculpture and Ultrabeat are great. EXS24 is also good, though for sampling I think the answer is almost always Kontakt these days. Most of the rest is a bit long in the tooth, but you could certainly do worse.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

breaks posted:

Sculpture and Ultrabeat are great. EXS24 is also good, though for sampling I think the answer is almost always Kontakt these days. Most of the rest is a bit long in the tooth, but you could certainly do worse.

i've heard some good things about the EXS24.. but Kontakt is absolutely the best choice for a sampler, if you are doing intense sampling. there are more simple alternatives also, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

tbh, i wasn't so impressed with sculpture.. it sounds ok, but it doesn't sound like anything you couldn't do in reason or FL. i guess what i am saying is, something like the rob papen synths are proper, for my money. but i'm a dedicated reaktor user, seeing as for the money and what you can do with it, it's got the most value for me. of course, it's not a pre-packaged.

there's a few free VST/AU synths out there that do an incredible job as well.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

Halo posted:

FL8 is still the best sequencing app for the windows platform, hands down. Ableton feels like a toy to me, and is not worth anywhere near $500. And really, if you are looking for good synths you are in the wrong mind if you are thinking any application has good pre-bundled synths. Operator is not really that good, nor are the pre-bundled synths that come with FL. They're OK, but they're not good.

I have nothing against FL but to say Live and ProTools are a step BELOW FL studio is a truly laughable statement.

Also, Daft Punk uses Operator and has called it one of the best soft synths on the planet. Because it is.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

I Dig Gardening posted:

I have nothing against FL but to say Live and ProTools are a step BELOW FL studio is a truly laughable statement.

Also, Daft Punk uses Operator and has called it one of the best soft synths on the planet. Because it is.

I don't really take Daft Punk seriously at all, sorry. And anything that can be done in Live, I could probably do just as well in FL. Maybe even in less time, depending. And don't even put PT in the same category as either. Just because it is a "DAW" doesn't mean it's good for everything. You couldn't pay me to try and use PT's MIDI. File based editing only, please.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Halo posted:

Also, the Logic answer is not workable for people on a PC platform, obviously.
Your "included softsynths suck" statement didn't mention the platform :v:

quote:

Lot of loving hostility from you, buddy.
Which part of it isn't true? Huh? I'm just stating the facts here. :colbert:

Don't get me wrong. FL is one of the best things to start with and even one of the best things because it contains a shitload of crazy function generators and all kinds of whacked-out tricks that turn tracks of the sequencer into one huge insane synthesizer and it's ridiculously cheap too and people truly make awesome music with it - but I've heard about several stability issues with audio interfaces and plugins and while I love the whole idea of that piece of software, I absolutely can not gel in any way with the interface, and I've tried my best.

edit:

quote:

Use a PC. Use a Mac. Use a wax cylinder for all I care. Linkin Park isn't better for using ProTools just as The White Stripes isn't better for using an 8-track reel-to-reel. If you sit there and spew forth how your PC is faster and cheaper than my Mac, all you're really saying is "Hey, look at me! I'm not making music tonight!"

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 31, 2008

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Halo posted:

I don't really take Daft Punk seriously at all, sorry. And anything that can be done in Live, I could probably do just as well in FL. Maybe even in less time, depending. And don't even put PT in the same category as either. Just because it is a "DAW" doesn't mean it's good for everything. You couldn't pay me to try and use PT's MIDI. File based editing only, please.

everyone watch out, THE MAN HAS JUST ARRIVED!

yeah your right why the gently caress would anyone use anything but fruity loops? what a bunch of fools we've been!

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

oredun posted:

everyone watch out, THE MAN HAS JUST ARRIVED!

yeah your right why the gently caress would anyone use anything but fruity loops? what a bunch of fools we've been!

edit: nm, not starting a poo poo slinging fest like this shining example.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
I've read through this thread and I really have to say I appreciate all the tidbits of info everyone's been sharing. I stumbled across this link today and I don't think I saw it in the thread and I figure it might be interesting to look at, just to mess around with some equipment without actually dropping money on it.

http://themes.hobnox.com/papaya-themes/hobnox2007/noxtool/audio/audioapplication.swf

It's pretty much a flash app with a TR-808/909, TB-303, mixer and a whole bunch of pedals to mix and match and play around with. :shobon:

Edit: Doh...I just saw that there's an entire thread dedicated to the link now :smith:. My bad.

Fiki fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 31, 2008

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Halo posted:

there's a few free VST/AU synths out there that do an incredible job as well.

What free AU synths are there that are better than the Logic synths? I haven't really found any I like that much, but I've only been looking at vsts. I'm gonna switch over to Logic soon, and I haven't found any AU yet that I like more than ES1. Haven't really looked much though.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Altoidss posted:

What free AU synths are there that are better than the Logic synths? I haven't really found any I like that much, but I've only been looking at vsts. I'm gonna switch over to Logic soon, and I haven't found any AU yet that I like more than ES1. Haven't really looked much though.

Green Oak Crystal
http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html

LinPlug Alpha 3 [Free]
http://www.linplug.com/Instruments/Alpha_3/alpha_3.htm

Alphakanal Automat
http://www.alphakanal.de:4356/articles/2008/08/24/automat-1-0
(some others by team)

Crystal is particularly kick rear end.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

Halo, can you link to your MySpace or somewhere where I can listen to your music?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Halo posted:

FL8 is still the best sequencing app for the windows platform, hands down.

Uhm... No!

What you mean to say is; "I understand FL8 and it suits me perfectly/I am a bigot/my way is the only way/FL8 is shiny!!"

You're gonna have to do a lot better than making 1 hour long droning pads with random sound effects and automation and then claim you are using the superior platform based on that.

I Dig Gardening posted:

Halo, can you link to your MySpace or somewhere where I can listen to your music?

http://implexgrace.com/music/implex.grace-summertime.sleepy.theater.ii.mp3

Some FL users are honestly sometimes more annoying than born again christians.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=12&tab=60

edit:

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

You're gonna have to do a lot better than making 1 hour long droning pads with random sound effects and automation and then claim you are using the superior platform based on that.

i agree

Halo posted:

after listening to your music i think a 4 track tape recorder would do everything you do in FL studio. i dont even think you have used any other DAW before and ill bet your copy of fruityloops is warez. no offense :aslol:

oredun fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 31, 2008

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

oredun posted:

after listening to your music i think a 4 track tape recorder would do everything you do in FL studio. i dont even think you have used any other DAW before and ill bet your copy of fruityloops is warez. no offense :aslol:

Wait that MP3 is really his music? I thought that was a joke. Hahaha I can't believe that guy was complaining about the lack of midi support in Pro Tools. (Which, by the way, is now a non-issue in the beautiful Pro Tools 8)

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Uhm... No!

What you mean to say is; "I understand FL8 and it suits me perfectly/I am a bigot/my way is the only way/FL8 is shiny!!"

i do what i do.. there was no automation involved at all in that piece of music. that was a live performance that was improvised with sound files i made + other samples, a grain resampler i made in reaktor + distortion, a novation k-station, and no fl8 at all. that's the wrong file to use as an example of my fl8 work.

i'm being slammed pretty hard here for having an opinion but whatever. i put my myspace link up today because of this thread figuring someone would ask about it because i have a strong opinion. the only person in this section of the discussion that even has a link up is I Dig Gardening, so i am pretty unconcerned with this feedback.

seriously, you can tell me what you think all you want, but it would be way cooler to present your own work and show how bad rear end you are at making electronic/club/DJ music than to just talk poo poo. and i'm like a born again? haha

oh and oredun, i've used pretty much every DAW you can name in the 8 years i've been doing electronic music. all my software is registered properly and i really don't feel the need to prove anything. i am responding to explain my position only. i know what i like. for what ever it's worth (nothing) i am buying logic next week too, because i got one of them fancy macs that can also run windows.

i won't interfere with this awesome thread anymore. sorry for the derail, seriously!

Halo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 31, 2008

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
That sounded like a down-tempo Taco the Wonder Dog live jam for geriatrics.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Halo posted:

seriously, you can tell me what you think all you want, but it would be way cooler to present your own work and show how bad rear end you are at making electronic/club/DJ music than to just talk poo poo. and i'm like a born again? haha
gently caress it I'll bite.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/99284/The%20Roots%20-%20Criminal%20%28Mezzir%20Bootleg%29.mp3
The Roots had a remix contest for this a little while back, completely forgot about it till after the deadline but oh well.

Entirely made with samples from other stuff, no synths of any sort.

Just some dickin around from a month or two ago.

Edit: Live >>> FL, I'm a former FL user.

and re: the next post, Radiohead also didn't make you pay for their album, and they make pretty loving good music to boot.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 31, 2008

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

Halo posted:

i do what i do.. there was no automation involved at all in that piece of music. that was a live performance that was improvised with sound files i made + other samples, a grain resampler i made in reaktor + distortion, a novation k-station, and no fl8 at all. that's the wrong file to use as an example of my fl8 work.

i'm being slammed pretty hard here for having an opinion but whatever. i put my myspace link up today because of this thread figuring someone would ask about it because i have a strong opinion. the only person in this section of the discussion that even has a link up is I Dig Gardening, so i am pretty unconcerned with this feedback.

oh and oredun, i've used pretty much every DAW you can name in the 8 years i've been doing electronic music. all my software is registered properly and i really don't feel the need to prove anything. i am responding to explain my position only. i know what i like. for what ever it's worth (nothing) i am buying logic next week too, because i got one of them fancy macs that can also run windows.

i won't interfere with this awesome thread anymore. sorry for the derail, seriously!

You're a tool. Who the gently caress has a donation button on their music webpage? That's more tool than Tim the tool man Taylor. drat, son.

And here's a "badass" song I wrote just to legitimize my fighting words.

Edit: Comedy option, Radiohead does.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
all your music sucks and your DAW sucks too so there :colbert:

edit: I dig gardening fix your timing issues brah my OCD is going berserk from this poo poo

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Halo posted:

oh and oredun, i've used pretty much every DAW you can name in the 8 years i've been doing electronic music.

Ahahaha, this just makes everything even funnier. Have you been trying to get signed or anything released, or do you just do it for the hell of it and hope to get by on donations?

We need 2 or 3 electronic music threads. One where people actually talk about music - concepts of genres, beat layering techniques, sounds, little tricks etc (nearly non existent here) and another for hardware/software/buying guides. And maybe another for ego's and dick waving, where everyone talks in all caps and nobody actually makes any music.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 31, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Halo posted:

Green Oak Crystal
http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html
This thing is pretty awesome. So many possibilities, and the presets are promising.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Halo posted:

You could get by with logic and no VST synths at all pretty easily.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
edit: well alright then

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 1, 2009

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Nothin to see here

het fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 1, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I Dig Gardening posted:

Who the gently caress has a donation button on their music webpage?
Lots of legit people who run netlabels do that. I don't, but it's a totally normal thing.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Halo posted:

Youre being slammed because you said "FL8 is the best sequencing app for Windows hands down". FL8 is great but so is everything else. As hippy as it sounds, you really CAN make just about whatever you like with whatever you like, and it's all about finding your own path. I know a guy who makes awesome stuff with an acoustic guitar, a microkorg, and NOTHING and I mean no sequencing at all, other than cutting/pasting samples in GOLDWAVE, the ancient 1990's wav editor. It's great that you like FL, just stop turning music making into a stats contest. You don't have to have all of the boxes checked off to win here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Fruityloops seems less and less appealing to me every day, not because it's inherently bad software, but because it has one of the worst fan clubs I've ever seen.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Lots of legit people who run netlabels do that. I don't, but it's a totally normal thing.

Wait, labels or artists?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 3, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

Fruityloops seems less and less appealing to me every day, not because it's inherently bad software, but because it has one of the worst fan clubs I've ever seen.
Apple Syndrome

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
So far I've pretty much been using my MIDI keyboard to lay down the drums/bassline using the Drum Rack and Operator in Ableton but I've seen quite a few mentions in the thread about getting samples and using them. I was considering purchasing one of these CDs (http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/indexes/indexSampleCDs.html) to build up my sample library but I'm not entirely sure how you'd really go about...using the samples, since they seem to be WAV files and whatnot. :psyduck: Would you just drop the samples into the Drum Rack or what? Could anyone perhaps give a quick overview of how exactly you can make use of these samples?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Fiki posted:

Could anyone perhaps give a quick overview of how exactly you can make use of these samples?

I've got Vengeance Essential Clubsounds, part 1, and I believe the second part shouldn't be much different (except for more content, of course).

The folder structure is:

303 Acid - a set of single acid "wows" like http://theheartcore.com/music/303woof.mp3 recorded in several pitches.

Bassdrums: a set of kickdrums divided into Clubby (trance kicks), Distortion (for gabber), GateFX (reverb tails which you place just in front of the kick or behind them so you can emulate sidechaining), Punchy (these sound "dry" compared to the Clubby ones), Reverb and FX (you use these in a break - basically a kick with a nice-sounding reverb over it without muddying up the impact), Sub (you can use these for layering), and Trancy ("rounder" kicks than the Clubby ones, with less of a click at the start).

These are all useful and will do fine in Impulse, or copied and pasted 4 times in a row so you build your own kick loop in an audio track.

BreakBeats - BT-style breakbeats, no amen stuff.

Claps - exactly what it says, with and without reverb from several drum machines. You can put these in Impulse too.

Cymbals - contains open, closed hihats, ride, crash, reverse crash (with effects), special hihats (what's a gong doing in here? oh well) and tambourine.

Fills - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koRTTDEnbFc < the kind of drum roll right at the start is typical for this.

FX - noisy swooshes, etc.

Long Basses - the least useful part for me, since these are all done with an Access Virus B or something. Several samples for each pitch.

Loops - looped beats without the bassdrum (so you get hihats + diverse percussion)

Multis - see Long Basses, only for more pitches.

Offbeat Bass - short bass sounds for kick-bass-kick-bass like in the above Youtube video.

Percussion - Everything that doesn't fit in the cymbal, snare or kick categories.

Snares - snare drums.

Sounds - typical short samples like in rave music ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg2DNyvDGhU - the sound in the intro)

Special Sounds - no idea why they put this in here, a few complete instrumental loops but not at every pitch.

Vinyl FX and Scratches - cheesy scratch sounds.

How I use these: since I'm pretty much poo poo in making a good kickdrum, I mainly use the kicks and loops as filler material for compositions until I am able to make something better myself. It makes the song more complete, allows me to define rhythmical structure and building up/breaking down quickly - kind of like a useful song skeleton where I only have to replace the scaffolding by my own bricks and mortar. I'm not above just using the kicks since they're already EQd and compressed enough.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
How exactly would I go about making my own samples? Do you actually have to go out and record drums, or would it be possible to do it all through synthesis? I know my Little Phatty has some good sounding percussion and sub-kick presets, so would I just record these and then further modify them on my computer or what? I have no idea where to even start.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So I've decided to flirt heavily with some good old fashion cheese on my latest track. Any opinions on what I've done so far? I'm maybe 80% done with the arrangement at this point -- it ends a bit abruptly because I haven't finished yet.

I'm not sure if the lyrics are too far over the top, or just far enough.

mezzir posted:

Entirely made with samples from other stuff, no synths of any sort.

I like this a lot.

Deific Presence posted:

How exactly would I go about making my own samples? Do you actually have to go out and record drums, or would it be possible to do it all through synthesis? I know my Little Phatty has some good sounding percussion and sub-kick presets, so would I just record these and then further modify them on my computer or what? I have no idea where to even start.

You can do either -- sampling is more about creativity than anything else. Sometimes you'll sample a monosynth and play it with a sampler so you can get some polyphony. Or maybe you want to reverse the synth sound and gently caress it up. Other times you go out and record something, then sample that, and do go knows what with it. Sampling is more about being creative and having fun than anything else, so do whatever you want really. There's no right or wrong so long as it sounds good.

EDIT: I just had a total brain surge and finished sketching the song out. Edited in the new version. I need to rerecord the vox with a nicer mic/with a stand to avoid the handling noise that pops up in the chorus.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

*snip*
If I'm not entirely mistaken, you understood him wrong and he wants to know how to get the samples to play in his sequencer, since he's only used synths so far?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Fiki posted:

So far I've pretty much been using my MIDI keyboard to lay down the drums/bassline using the Drum Rack and Operator in Ableton but I've seen quite a few mentions in the thread about getting samples and using them. I was considering purchasing one of these CDs (http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/indexes/indexSampleCDs.html) to build up my sample library but I'm not entirely sure how you'd really go about...using the samples, since they seem to be WAV files and whatnot. :psyduck: Would you just drop the samples into the Drum Rack or what? Could anyone perhaps give a quick overview of how exactly you can make use of these samples?

If you're using Drum Rack in Live, you just take the sample you want and drop it on the note/pad you want to use. To find out which pad on the rack goes to the key you want to use, just push the key and the Drum Rack pad will light up and the play symbol will appear on it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

wayfinder posted:

If I'm not entirely mistaken, you understood him wrong and he wants to know how to get the samples to play in his sequencer, since he's only used synths so far?

Point taken. Anyway, it's still perfectly OK to just drag & drop these samples to an audio track so they'd be played automatically.

It says "Drop Files and Devices Here" for a reason ;).

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I read through the OP but I'm still fairly confused.

See, I picked up the Korg DS-10, which is basically a version of an old KORG synthesizer for the Nintendo DS. I know gently caress-all about making electronic music, but I LOVE using this thing.

However, it's definitely limited as it's just a DS. Is there anything like this, but on the computer? Preferably cheap.

What exactly is KORG DS? Is it a DAW?

Anyway, I know there are other synthesizers out there supposedly like it but they cost >$500 at least. I just want something cheap to screw around with on the computer like the KORG DS. Is this basically audacity or acid?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Lowness 72 posted:

So I read through the OP but I'm still fairly confused.

See, I picked up the Korg DS-10, which is basically a version of an old KORG synthesizer for the Nintendo DS. I know gently caress-all about making electronic music, but I LOVE using this thing.

However, it's definitely limited as it's just a DS. Is there anything like this, but on the computer? Preferably cheap.

What exactly is KORG DS? Is it a DAW?

Anyway, I know there are other synthesizers out there supposedly like it but they cost >$500 at least. I just want something cheap to screw around with on the computer like the KORG DS. Is this basically audacity or acid?

It is the DS version of the Korg MS-20, wich again is a software version of the Korg MS-10

I have no idea about the DS thing I read about it on beatportal I think?

Anyway, the MS-20, the VST version is part of a pack from Korg called The Legacy Collection. (Wich actually comes with a hardware controller for the MS-20)

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/460.html

edit: I'll add that the MS-20 has, in my opinion, THE best software filters around, bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

• Locked thread