Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Handen posted:

What are some really good resources to learn to use Ableton Live from the point of view of a total beginner? I see ads for online courses via Berkeley School of Music etc, does anyone have any experience with that?

How about for Logic 8?

There's a built-in tutorial for Live, and it's pretty thorough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm looking at buying AutoTune, but before I pull the trigger, can someone confirm for me the Native version can be used as a plug-in for ProTools? I've been reading the page over and over again, here http://www.antarestech.com/products/auto-tune-evo.shtml but I just want to double check before I plunk down the cash.

There's also the TDM version and they don't really do a good job explaining the difference. Which do I want if I want to run it as a plugin in protools?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

infiniteseal posted:

I'm looking at buying AutoTune, but before I pull the trigger, can someone confirm for me the Native version can be used as a plug-in for ProTools? I've been reading the page over and over again, here http://www.antarestech.com/products/auto-tune-evo.shtml but I just want to double check before I plunk down the cash.

There's also the TDM version and they don't really do a good job explaining the difference. Which do I want if I want to run it as a plugin in protools?

Looks like TDM doesn't have formant, pitch, and throat modelling knobs. And also as far as I can tell, either TDM or Native are btoh available in RTAS (protools format) or VST.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

mezzir posted:

Looks like TDM doesn't have formant, pitch, and throat modelling knobs. And also as far as I can tell, either TDM or Native are btoh available in RTAS (protools format) or VST.
TDM is not VST or RTAS, it's a format designed to run on dedicated DSP chips. The name means "Time Division Multiplexing" and comes from the old Pro Tools "TDM" systems which are now basically called "Pro Tools HD" systems in their present form. Pretty sure many DSP processing cards support that format now, so if you have a standalone DSP card to run plug-ins, TDM is what you want.

Also, it's only those "automatic" features that don't work with the TDM version, probably because they aren't really meant to be run in real-time. You get full Native licenses with your TDM version though, so you could use those features on your host CPU.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

TDM is ONLY for protools HD, I am not aware of any other DSP cards that can run it.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Right on, thanks for clearing t hat up. Native version on its way, had to buy one of those stupid iLok keys with it, too

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

RivensBitch posted:

TDM is ONLY for protools HD, I am not aware of any other DSP cards that can run it.
That was my initial thinking, but when I looked it up I saw that Digidesign had opened the standard so it's not proprietary anymore and I figured more cards were supporting it. Upon closer inspection it looks like other companies are only using it for routing on soundcards, not for running plug-ins.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

So a couple of months ago I bit the bullet and got myself a Yamaha MO6 and M-Audio Audiophile 2496. However since I have been busy with school and a bunch of other things I'm just now getting some time to try recording something, and now I'm kind of stumped. I can record one track okay and it sounds as it should through my crappy speakers, but I can't seem to record a second track with the first track playing in the background - the second track ends up lagging and crackling. Is it my computer that's slow or is there something I can do to make things work?

Ninja edit: I'm doing all of this on linux. :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

Is it my computer that's slow or is there something I can do to make things work?
Do you have your ASIO drivers selected for your soundcard? Is your on-board soundcard disabled in the BIOS?

quote:

Ninja edit: I'm doing all of this on linux. :)
You could also consider sequencing everything on your MO6, it is a workstation after all :v:.

Not that I know anything about it, but are you using Ardour or running something in Wine?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Yoozer posted:

Do you have your ASIO drivers selected for your soundcard? Is your on-board soundcard disabled in the BIOS?

Don't know about the ASIO drivers, I don't recall really installing any drivers, just setting the priority of the onboard sound card the lowest so the Audiophile would be the default card. And I disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Yoozer posted:

You could also consider sequencing everything on your MO6, it is a workstation after all :v:.

Not that I know anything about it, but are you using Ardour or running something in Wine?

Right now I'm using Audacity, because I don't understand exactly what I need to do to set up Ardour. :)

Edit: I have thought about sequencing stuff on the MO6, but I don't think it's powerful enough to contain the whole song. The sound just gets really muddy at some point.

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 1, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

Don't know about the ASIO drivers, I don't recall really installing any drivers

From what I could find you should have something like Envy24Control (Envy 24 is the chipset on that card).

quote:

Right now I'm using Audacity, because I don't understand exactly what I need to do to set up Ardour. :)
Audacity records wavefiles. Mixing several audio streams can be a feature of the audio card, but a generic driver could skip that.

quote:

Edit: I have thought about sequencing stuff on the MO6, but I don't think it's powerful enough to contain the whole song.
Are you using the sliders a lot to send MIDI data to change cutoff, envelopes etc.? If not, then it probably is powerful enough.

quote:

The sound just gets really muddy at some point.
This is related to mixing and equalization, and the fact that the effects engine has its limits (e.g. you can put insert effects on every part).

This will happen on a computer too (still need mixing and EQ), but if you record each patch in voice mode instead of performance mode all effects will be retained - therefore it'll sound "better".

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Yoozer posted:

From what I could find you should have something like Envy24Control (Envy 24 is the chipset on that card).

That's right, I use it to configure things.

Yoozer posted:

Audacity records wavefiles. Mixing several audio streams can be a feature of the audio card, but a generic driver could skip that.

For all I know everything should work, the M-Audio website tells me that I need to install Open Sound System, however I'm unsure about how I should go about doing this.

Yoozer posted:

Are you using the sliders a lot to send MIDI data to change cutoff, envelopes etc.? If not, then it probably is powerful enough.

This is related to mixing and equalization, and the fact that the effects engine has its limits (e.g. you can put insert effects on every part).

This will happen on a computer too (still need mixing and EQ), but if you record each patch in voice mode instead of performance mode all effects will be retained - therefore it'll sound "better".

I think sequencing everything on the synthesizer might be a bit too constraining. Maybe I'm not very good with it yet, but I'd really like it if I could just record a track into the PC and have another playing at the same time. This shouldn't really pose a problem if I have the correct drivers, right?

I will try and see about Ardour, maybe there's better luck with that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

I think sequencing everything on the synthesizer might be a bit too constraining. Maybe I'm not very good with it yet, but I'd really like it if I could just record a track into the PC and have another playing at the same time. This shouldn't really pose a problem if I have the correct drivers, right?

:shobon: sorry, I'm kind of out of useful guesses, so I hope you can find the solution. Anyway, no, it should not be a problem at all.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Great success!
I finally clicked the right buttons and managed to record in Ardour pretty much how I wanted to.
However something's wrong with the sound. Maybe my speakers suck, but the sound I get straight from the synthesizer is quite different from the one ardour plays me.
At least it's not crackling. :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

However something's wrong with the sound. Maybe my speakers suck, but the sound I get straight from the synthesizer is quite different from the one ardour plays me.

How different is different? You are recording audio, not MIDI, right? ;)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Handen posted:

What are some really good resources to learn to use Ableton Live from the point of view of a total beginner? I see ads for online courses via Berkeley School of Music etc, does anyone have any experience with that?

How about for Logic 8?
The AskVideo Ableton DVD is well made. Last I checked they hadn't updated it for Live 7, but pretty much everything from 6 will apply to 7 and you'll only be missing specific info on the new devices 7 added.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Hello all, I just got a new laptop (my old computer was useless for running Cubase) and I'm really looking forward to doing some recording with my Tascam US-224, and I'm really interested in finding freeware VST-plugins...I've been looking on the internet for over and hour and found some okay reverb effects but the link in the OP doesn't work and it seems that a lot of domains that used to host such files have been bought out. If anyone knows of any good sites, I'm looking for effects that would make for a good shoegazey sort of sound...thank you much.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Yoozer posted:

How different is different? You are recording audio, not MIDI, right? ;)

I'm recording the digital stream from the synthesizer (maybe I should record analog). The sound of the recording sounds way louder and distorted than it should.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
A few years back the most recommended monitors here for people on a budget were KRK RP5s. Is this still the case? What are some good options under $400?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

n4 posted:

A few years back the most recommended monitors here for people on a budget were KRK RP5s. Is this still the case? What are some good options under $400?

M-Audio Studiophile AV40s sound like they might be good, and they are probably $200.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Penisface posted:

M-Audio Studiophile AV40s sound like they might be good, and they are probably $200.

Are these new? Because most M-Audio monitors are supposed to be crap, or at least were when I was researching this stuff like four months ago.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Hey guys I have a question that is probably really basic. I have a Roland TD-9 electronic drum set, and I want to record what I play and send it to my friend. Currently, I can only record what I play in a file type that is meant to be played back on the drums only. It's not useable anywhere else.

The drums have a USB port, which I doubt will be useful since taking that file type to my computer is pointless. It has a MIDI output, which I would hesitate to use because my friend's going to be recording .WAV files. But I could use it. And lastly it has stereo and mono output jacks.

So my question is, what's my next step to record from the drums? I think my goal is .WAV files. To me, that means either some simple digital 2-track that I can put a line in from the drums, or a cable to connect my drums to my laptop and some program to record on my laptop. I'm running Windows. I don't really know anything about this, so suggestions would be appreciated. One last thing: I'm in an apartment, so I would like to avoid actually getting an amp and producing any sound. That would be a hella expensive option anyway. Thanks...in advance.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Hey guys

You've got a few options, all of which will require at least a little bit of investment.

If really like the sounds of the built in samples, you can get an audio interface for your computer along with some recording software (or a stand-alone multitrack) to track it like a standard analog instrument (but without all the noise, since the drums are digital) using the stereo outs. The upside of this is that it's pretty simple, and if you like the sounds your drums make, this will keep them intact. The downside is that it will leave you with only a 2-channel audio file, so you have less options with your mix.

The other route you can take is to get an interface with MIDI capabilities, and use your MIDI out to control software drum samples (like BFD or EZ Drummer). If you record the MIDI data, you can then go back in and change the drum sounds to whatever you want without having to re-record anything (and you can also dig in and correct timing and stuff in the MIDI, or change the tempo easily). The upside to this is that you have almost unlimited versatility as far as sounds, tempo, etc long after you record the beat, and you can split each drum into a separate audio track to give you a lot more option with your mix. The downside is that it can make things more complicated, and you'll have to spend a little more money on a software drum sample package (but it does give you a bunch more kits to play around with)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Rashomon posted:

Are these new? Because most M-Audio monitors are supposed to be crap, or at least were when I was researching this stuff like four months ago.

They're listed on the M-Audio website, so they can't be too old.
Here is a couple of reviews I read before I wrote my previous post:
http://www.futurelooks.com/m-audio-studiophile-av40-desktop-speaker-system-review/
http://www.productwiki.com/m-audio-studiophile-av40/
There was also one with a video but I can't find the URL right now.

I'm planning on buying these partly because I have a M-Audio interface that works really well and I want to support them and partly because I seriously can't be arsed to start nitpicking on monitors when my current speakers are about 8 years old. The AV40s would probably not disappoint me and the price isn't too high either.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
This might be a very dumb question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer, so I'll ask it anyway. What is the difference between Logic Express and Logic Studio? I gather Logic Studio does a lot of things that someone who doesn't do a lot of MIDI work (like me) wouldn't need. Looking at Logic Studio, it seems like the only thing included that I would use would be Logic Pro itself. So what's the difference between Express and Pro?

Also... am I correct in assuming that I could use my original Mbox with it?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm as amateur as anyone can get, and I don't have any desire to try anything professional musically. I record myself just to make little tracks for my girlfriend, parents, or anyone else who wants to listen. I've been using my goddamn point-n-shoot camera to record myself to this point and, yes, it sounds like poo poo.

I figure I can spring for the $39 mic featured in the OP. I need to know what kind of cable to buy with it. I'll be recording to a Macbook (the most recent model), with Garageband.

Additionally, I want to record myself playing Banjo and Harmonica, sometimes singing while playing Banjo. How well will that single mic handle this? I don't want to spend any large amount of money on this setup as I'm just recording for like 5 people, so can I get myself and my instrument sounding good on a serious budget? IE: I don't want to buy 2 mics, one for my voice and one for the instrument.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I figure I can spring for the $39 mic featured in the OP. I need to know what kind of cable to buy with it. I'll be recording to a Macbook (the most recent model), with Garageband.

Additionally, I want to record myself playing Banjo and Harmonica, sometimes singing while playing Banjo. How well will that single mic handle this? I don't want to spend any large amount of money on this setup as I'm just recording for like 5 people, so can I get myself and my instrument sounding good on a serious budget? IE: I don't want to buy 2 mics, one for my voice and one for the instrument.

The bad news is that $39 Sennheiser mic you're talking about won't do you a lot of good without a mic preamp. Something like the Presonus Audiobox USB would be perfect for you, but might be out of your budget (they sell for $120-150). There are also more simple USB mic preamps like the BLUE Icicle that cost about half as much, but only support a single mic (which might be fine for your current purposes). You will typically need an XLR cable to connect up a microphone (although it looks like the Icicle doesn't need one and plugs directly into the base of the mic).

If you can't afford a preamp at all, I would advise that you look at USB mics instead.

And yes, you ought to be able to get tolerably decent recordings of a banjo + harp with a single mic. Also don't forget a mic stand; in a pinch you can get a tabletop mic stand for about $8-10.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Oh, I didn't realize I'd need a preamp.

In that case, I think a simple USB mic is for me. I don't know much about mics and there is nothing in the OP about USB mics, aside from a passing mention.

Can anyone make me a recommendation in the sub-$50 range that sounds decent for recoding harp, banjo, and singing?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Oh, I didn't realize I'd need a preamp.

In that case, I think a simple USB mic is for me. I don't know much about mics and there is nothing in the OP about USB mics, aside from a passing mention.

Can anyone make me a recommendation in the sub-$50 range that sounds decent for recoding harp, banjo, and singing?

list of USB mics

I can't vouch for any of them firsthand, but something like the CAD U1 or U37 looks like it'd probably work well given your needs/budget.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Sooooooooooooooooo just a heads up, if you ever go to Korea and go through so much effort to bring all your recording equipment safely with you from America and set everything up to record, don't forget that the standard voltage in Korea is 220V and that you need a transformer if you don't want to fry your mixer and have smoke and a terrible awful smell come out from it. Not that I would ever do that. Just wanted to warn you all.

In my defense, I've never even had to think about it because the AC adapter for my computer converts voltage automatically and every single other thing I have that I plug in I bought in Korea. Thankfully I was just using a Behringer Xenyx 802 and not something more expensive. And it shut off the phantom power as some sort of protective feature I guess so my mic was saved. :woop:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Penisface posted:

They're listed on the M-Audio website, so they can't be too old.
Here is a couple of reviews I read before I wrote my previous post:
http://www.futurelooks.com/m-audio-studiophile-av40-desktop-speaker-system-review/
http://www.productwiki.com/m-audio-studiophile-av40/
There was also one with a video but I can't find the URL right now.

I'm planning on buying these partly because I have a M-Audio interface that works really well and I want to support them and partly because I seriously can't be arsed to start nitpicking on monitors when my current speakers are about 8 years old. The AV40s would probably not disappoint me and the price isn't too high either.

Sounds like Edirol MA-15Ds are an option as well, if a bit more expensive. Don't know which ones I'm going to get.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/5965
http://www.productwiki.com/edirol-ma-15d/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MA15D/

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I have an M-Audio Radium61 MIDI controller which is currently seeing duty as a hilariously oversized paperweight because M-Audio feels it unnecessary to release 64-bit drivers. Is there some cheapo piece of hardware I can buy to get my controller to work with Vista 64?

Something like this maybe? http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midisport-Uno-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00007JRBM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231434539&sr=8-1

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Goddamn, my copy of auto tune finally arrived

Not only did they not include the registration# in the box, but upon installation of autotune, my mbox promptly stopped working and i can no longer launch protools. that's a pretty amazing feat of incompetence

edit: finally got protools workin again, don't know what changed but i had to restart a few times. the website kept telling me to write down the registration # that came on the yellow card in the box then the customer service rep was like "Oh yeah we don't include yellow cards or registration #s in the box anymore" jesus what a clusterfuck

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 8, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Proof positive that T. Pain does work hard for the money.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I imagine he has a lot of time to troubleshoot, what with the house arrest and all

edit: Haha this is great, ProTools stopped working again. Fuckin AutoTune.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 10, 2009

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm wondering if this is possible. Can I connect my PodXTLive through USB and record a track from that, and an M-Audio Fast-Track on another USB port and record from the Line-In and the XLR inputs? Basically, can I connect 2 interfaces at the same time?

Edit: Fixed it. Went into audio/midi setup (OS X) and aggegated the Fast-Track and the PODXT. It's cool to be able to use 4 inputs at the same time!

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 13, 2009

Never Post Again
Mar 4, 2007
Someone please tell me which headphones to buy for mixing and mastering, I don't care how much they cost, just tell me what ones to get and I will get them ok - but if they are poo poo I will be very mad at you about it.

Thanks

niggle
May 7, 2008

Gnarled Doodle posted:

Someone please tell me which headphones to buy for mixing and mastering, I don't care how much they cost, just tell me what ones to get and I will get them ok - but if they are poo poo I will be very mad at you about it.

Thanks

AKG K240s is what I use, they cost about 100 bucks. They sound amazingly good/accurate for the price and don't need a power source so they can be used for iPods, CD players, etc. as well. Hope this helps.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I use custom molded Shure SCL5s, but not for mixing. They have something insane like 50db of ambient noise reduction, it's enough that when I'm playing drums I have to use ambient mics or I can't lock in with the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Okay I need to make an official questions:

I've got ProTools 7.4.2, a mac pro, an MBox original and ever since I installed Auto Tune Evo (with that usb iLok thing), ProTools has occasionally been prone to telling me it can't find the hardware when I start the program.

Sometimes it does but it hasn't for the last few hours. I've gone onto each hard drive and deleted the database, then deleted the prefs file for DAE, protools and digisetup and still no luck. Is there anything else I should do? I can still see the Mbox, it's plugged in and lit up so I don't know why it says it' can't find it.

Both the iLok and the MBox are USB so I tried unplugging the iLok and that doesn't do it and I've tried plugging the MBox into different USB ports and that hasn't done anything either.

edit: Haha it must just be waiting for me to post about it because it came up the very next time I launched even though I didn't do anything different! Still I'd prefer not to have to post on SA every time I want to open the program so hopefully I can still get this fixed

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 14, 2009