Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Personally, I wish Rifftrax would do more crappy horror movies. It would be awesome if they did the ring. Unfortunately it appears that one unfunny guy is handling them, the one who did the house of wax and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Personally, I wish Rifftrax would do more crappy horror movies. It would be awesome if they did the ring. Unfortunately it appears that one unfunny guy is handling them, the one who did the house of wax and others.

They did The Grudge.

I liked Michael Elliot's Riffs.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Luke: How did my father die?
Kevin: Without dignity.
Bill: None at all.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I liked Michael Elliot's Riffs.

Me too. I wonder if and when he will come back.

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

New Hope was excellent. The last 20 minutes nearly killed me.

fake edit: FISTO

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
LEIA: "Into the garbage chute, flyboy."

MIKE: "She's said that more than once."

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

The Dark Knight was good. Some gaps in the funny, but then some really great lines.

The running "in this scene the part of Rachel Dawes will be played by..." joke was great.

And the Batvoice jokes never got old.

Brick Hardmeat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 2, 2009

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Brick Hardmeat posted:

New Hope was excellent. The last 20 minutes nearly killed me.

"Porkin?! The fat guys name is Porkin?!" :neckbeard:

Very well done in my view.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mo_Steel posted:

"Porkin?! The fat guys name is Porkin?!" :neckbeard:

Very well done in my view.
Porkins!

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

Well I got the iRiff "Friday 13th" because it seemed to be getting nothing but praise on Rifftrax.com and just some thoughts for anyone who is thinking of picking it up.

First, from a riffing standpoint, it's pretty solid. There were several laugh out loud moments and many of the jokes were ok. The riffers have kind of a cool gimmick and they don't rely on it too much.
However, from a technical standpoint, it's an abomination. Their track is so quite that I had to digitally manipulate them to make them louder, but also the movie track to make it softer. And their own track loses sync, I have no idea (aside from sloppiness) how they managed to do that but it made reauthoring annoying and even so my end result sounded de-synced at some points which sucks.

Overall, the fact that this riff has a higher score than Incognito Cinema Warriors and riffRaff theaters, both of which have awesome iRiffs, smells like shenanigans to me.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
I have a question for those of you who author their own DVDs to sync up their Rifftrax.

What programs do you use to split up a movie to its source audio and video files when ripping the DVD? I've been using DVD Decrypter for a while and its been working pretty well except for some newer movies where it can't read though its encryption method. I'm also curious to what is a good reauthoring program. I currently use IFO edit and even that doesn't seem to work all the time.

My current best method is DVD Decrypter, BeLight/Besweet, Audacity, IFO edit, DVD shrink, then finally Nero.

I'm curious to see what other programs any of you may be using to see if I can improve upon this system a little better.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The process is such a huge pain. If there was some way of getting Rifftrax integrated with Netflix instant streaming (for a fee of course), I would be in heaven.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

Trinexx posted:

My current best method is DVD Decrypter, BeLight/Besweet, Audacity, IFO edit, DVD shrink, then finally Nero.

Pretty much what I use, but instead of Nero, I use ImageBurn. If IFO edit has a problem then I switch it over to a lighter program known as muxman. However, muxman doesn't handle subtitles very well, but IFO edit also doesn't really do that great of a job either so :/ (subtitle ripping still seems more of an art than a science).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
New short is up - Shy Guy.

Features a very young and socially awkward Dick York (the first Darrin on Bewitched).

Soon to be followed by the Self-Conscious Guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new short is really, really great.

I couldn't stop laughing at "Oh no, Dad drugged me!" and the callback later on "Bob drugged my malt!"

Although the funniest part came from the short itself. The main character and his father had moved to a new town and the teenager can't make any friends because he's an outsider.

Father: I had quite the time making friends in a new office where everyone knew each other.

Son: What'd you do Dad?

Father: Well, that's beside the point, son.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The one thing I've learned above all else in those 50s shorts is to CONFORM!!!!!

Western Backstroke
Oct 19, 2008

Be Cool Like Carl
I watched The Star Wars Holiday Special and I loved it. Up there amongst my favorites. I usually hate when the Riffers have conversations amongst themselves ("You know Mike, something similar happened to me once..."), but the Holiday Special was so bad that I welcomed their dialogue, as though it assured me, "Yes, this is god awful, come on, we can get through it..."

The riffing on the special was good on its own, but it was eclipsed by the riffs on the interspersed commercials. Nearly each break left me gasping for air from laughing so much. Old commercials are weird.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Western Backstroke posted:

I watched The Star Wars Holiday Special and I loved it. Up there amongst my favorites. I usually hate when the Riffers have conversations amongst themselves ("You know Mike, something similar happened to me once..."), but the Holiday Special was so bad that I welcomed their dialogue, as though it assured me, "Yes, this is god awful, come on, we can get through it..."

The riffing on the special was good on its own, but it was eclipsed by the riffs on the interspersed commercials. Nearly each break left me gasping for air from laughing so much. Old commercials are weird.

"That's what TOBOR wants you to think."

I just watched Day After Tomorrow, and while I wished they'd been less goofy and more hostile against this particular movie, it had some good laughs.

"Operation Gratitude will begin with the annexation of Peru."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Not even Rifftrax could make the Star Wars Holiday Special good for me. I had to watch it in two separate sittings, and even then it was hard to resist just turning it off because it's that loving bad.

I guess it would've helped if I knew the SWHS was two hours long though, and it was funny to see commercials from my local CBS affiliate from 30 years ago.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is Bea Arthur's song over yet? I've still got my ears plugged...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Seems there's going to be a Live Event on Thursday, Jan 15th:

http://www.rifftrax.com/live

Hope it doesn't get :goon:'d too badly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

25 other shorts? Jesus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

25 other shorts? Jesus.

I think they mean the shorts they've already done, not 25 new ones.

Although it would be pretty awesome if it WAS 25 new shorts.

(just counted and they've released 28 shorts so far)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Riff up, Reefer Madness (three riffer edition) basically a new riff of the film with Mike, Bill and Kevin.

Also next Rifftrax live is another short "Overcoming Fear" which will air next Wednesday at 9pm Eastern.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this? posted:

New Riff up, Reefer Madness (three riffer edition) basically a new riff of the film with Mike, Bill and Kevin.

Also next Rifftrax live is another short "Overcoming Fear" which will air next Wednesday at 9pm Eastern.

Good, one that I have. I bought the Legend Films restored & colorized version with Mike's commentary.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
So, this is as good a place as any to ask. As a first time viewer of the Star Wars Holiday Special, I have question that was pointedly brought up in a riff the second it came to my mind: WHAT DID BOBA FETT OR THE EMPIRE GAIN FROM THAT LITTLE ANIMATED ADVENTURE, WHICH IS SUPPOSEDLY CANON?! Two of the Empire's greatest foes incapacitated with nothing to stop you from killing the Wookiee and capturing them and... You give them an antidote for their illness and fly off. Friend.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Alexandr posted:

So, this is as good a place as any to ask. As a first time viewer of the Star Wars Holiday Special, I have question that was pointedly brought up in a riff the second it came to my mind: WHAT DID BOBA FETT OR THE EMPIRE GAIN FROM THAT LITTLE ANIMATED ADVENTURE, WHICH IS SUPPOSEDLY CANON?! Two of the Empire's greatest foes incapacitated with nothing to stop you from killing the Wookiee and capturing them and... You give them an antidote for their illness and fly off. Friend.
I guess they wanted to make him a neutral character. He does bad stuff for money but inside he's a gooey lump of christmasy love. Stupid yes, but par for the course for the whole special.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Does the Reefer Madness riff come with the video, or is it just the riff?

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

jmaze posted:

Does the Reefer Madness riff come with the video, or is it just the riff?

You can get either one.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Pay close attention around 20:26 (at least, in the on demand version). There are 2 frames spliced into the movie. The first reads '4' and the second '20.' Nice.

edit: They make a joke about the smoking Kramer-esque guy being the 5th Marx brother, which struck me as a little odd. There already are 5 Marx brothers. Groucho, Chico, Zeppo, Harpo, and Gummo. I don't think I've ever heard them get a reference wrong before.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Emmitt Nervend posted:

edit: They make a joke about the smoking Kramer-esque guy being the 5th Marx brother, which struck me as a little odd. There already are 5 Marx brothers. Groucho, Chico, Zeppo, Harpo, and Gummo. I don't think I've ever heard them get a reference wrong before.
That's not really wrong in respect to the Marx Bros. films though. The exception would be if footage of Gummo at a vaudeville show exists... (highly unlikely?)

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

fenix down posted:

That's not really wrong in respect to the Marx Bros. films though. The exception would be if footage of Gummo at a vaudeville show exists... (highly unlikely?)

Well, sure, Gummo wasn't in any of the movies, but that doesn't really make him any less of a Marx brother. I mean, he was still alive and well during that time, he just didn't star with the others.

I would have called him the 6th Marx :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that there's another live event Riffshort going on in an hour.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Reminder that there's another live event Riffshort going on in an hour.

If Lost wasn't on I'd be all over this.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I missed it. :(

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

fenix down posted:

I missed it. :(

It was awesome :(

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

It was pretty cool. They had problems though, the first attempt the stream crapped out a couple minutes into the short and they had to get things working again and start over.

They appear to still be having some problems, their entire website isn't working.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
gently caress, I'm sorry RiffTrax, I didn't mean to jinx your site in the other thread about the live show when I jokingly said "I hope they're back up by tomorrow". :(

Please come back up soon so I can give you some money and make amends. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The site is back up!!

e: Well, mostly. The forums are still down, but the files page is up.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 31, 2009

• Locked thread