Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
And rehosted since Kleedrac is lazy or something. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Mwaha ... not lazy ... just forgot ... also I beat you in an edit :P

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

KLEERAAAAAAACCCCCC!!!

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Vicissitude posted:

KLEERAAAAAAACCCCCC!!!

We can just call yours adding the image to the new page if it makes you feel better ;)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Come back and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!

That is truly a great line.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That was a tremendously satisfying strip. That was french toast and bacon satisfying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There is no feat that allows you to fire a bow in melee without drawing an attack f opportunity.

There is a spell that lets you do it, a first or second level Ranger spell with cast time of "reaction" though. I don't see how she'd have access to it.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

greatn posted:

There is no feat that allows you to fire a bow in melee without drawing an attack f opportunity.

There is a spell that lets you do it, a first or second level Ranger spell with cast time of "reaction" though. I don't see how she'd have access to it.

There is a class ability, though. Close Combat Shot from the Order Of The Bow Initiate prestige class in Complete Warrior.

How she has it, though, is a good question.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

She doesn't. He's swinging in the same panel as she's attacking in almost every case; he's taking AoOs. She's killing his flankers before he gets a chance to make Sneak Attacks out of the, however.

Assuming green-boy there had an infinite supply of expendable minions, he'd wear her down-- but he doesn't. That's why Doctor Doom always wins in the end and this chump is going to end up getting gutted by Belkar.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Eckertmania posted:

There is a class ability, though. Close Combat Shot from the Order Of The Bow Initiate prestige class in Complete Warrior.

How she has it, though, is a good question.

There is an epic feat, but we can be pretty sure she's not an epic rogue.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Cabbit posted:

She doesn't. He's swinging in the same panel as she's attacking in almost every case; he's taking AoOs. She's killing his flankers before he gets a chance to make Sneak Attacks out of the, however.

Even so, attacks of opportunity happen before whatever event that triggered them completes (so, for example, you can't trip someone and then trip them again on the opportunity attack when they try to stand), so he'd still get Sneak Attack damage since Haley wouldn't get a chance to kill the flanker until after his free shot at her.

In conclusion, I'm a tremendous nerd, and this comic was funny.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Even so, attacks of opportunity happen before whatever event that triggered them completes (so, for example, you can't trip someone and then trip them again on the opportunity attack when they try to stand), so he'd still get Sneak Attack damage since Haley wouldn't get a chance to kill the flanker until after his free shot at her.

In conclusion, I'm a tremendous nerd, and this comic was funny.

She had Initiative. A round is about 6 seconds, so really it could all be happening at the same time. It's DnD rules set in a reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It could also be that the universe is unaware of that specific rule. As we saw way earlier, the "GM" didn't remember Durkon's to-hit bonus until Roy pointed it out and the in-universe effects occurred afterwards, and obviously, nobody in the current team is going to bother to point out rules not in their favor.

... and now I'm going to go leap off a cliff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

rantmo posted:

That was a tremendously satisfying strip. That was french toast and bacon satisfying.

I had french toast and bacon this morning (also delicious grits!) and can confirm this.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Johnny Aztec posted:

She had Initiative. A round is about 6 seconds, so really it could all be happening at the same time. It's DnD rules set in a reality.

Ready action; Shoot henchmen

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN
Can we discuss Erfworld here, or should I take it to the webcomics megathread?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Keyboard Fox posted:

Some people talk about it in here, which makes probably half of us grit our teeth. Voted other thread.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

terminal mehmet posted:

Some people talk about it in here, which makes probably half of us grit our teeth. Voted other thread.

QFT

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't Belkar supposed to be permanently dead by tomorrow?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Isn't Belkar supposed to be permanently dead by tomorrow?
Why?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DaveWoo posted:

Why?

The oracle said before the end of the year, Belkar would draw his last breath. He later qualified this by looking directly into the camera and saying he meant that completely literally, and yes, he meant 2008 to the readers.

Edit: I was wrong

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

is the comic I was referring to, but it says he will die before the end of the "in-comic" year, not the real year. I could have sworn it used to say it the other way around.

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 30, 2008

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Keyboard Fox posted:

A few people really pitched poo poo-fits about it because when people were posting about Erfworld they'd come into the thread thinking there was an OOTS update, and eventually hermanos said to stop talking about Erfworld.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

greatn posted:

The oracle said before the end of the year, Belkar would draw his last breath. He later qualified this by looking directly into the camera and saying he meant that completely literally, and yes, he meant 2008 to the readers.

Edit: I was wrong

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

is the comic I was referring to, but it says he will die before the end of the "in-comic" year, not the real year. I could have sworn it used to say it the other way around.

Could it not also be that this new Belkar is different than the old Belkar and the old Belkar has indeed breathed his last breath?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well, the Oracle definitely considered such a thing to be a death, relatively speaking.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Kleedrac posted:

Could it not also be that this new Belkar is different than the old Belkar and the old Belkar has indeed breathed his last breath?

I think the Oracle got stabbed last time he tried to pass off a cheesy rationalization like that.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

BrainWeasel posted:

I think the Oracle got stabbed last time he tried to pass off a cheesy rationalization like that.

Yeah, but the Oracle KNEW he was going to get stabbed for it and did it anyway. Clearly it didn't work as a deterrent.

Stalin and Profilin
Aug 20, 2008

I'm a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!
New comic:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm embarassed at how much I laughed at that.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Stalin and Profilin posted:

New comic:

Nice 4th Ed reference.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
What's the second word on the window - Blizzard something? I can't find my Godfather DVD to check if it's a reference to something.

Edit: I'm dumb: of course it's `Ristorante'

The Haley and Belkar meatballs were also a nice touch.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I think those are just two random heads.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I like the new "kind of" helpful belkar. He's almost channeling elan now with his kind of meta-narrative sensibility.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't say this often about OotS humor, if indeed ever, but the "mobs" gag felt really out of place and forced. Kind of killed the flow of the strip for me.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

You know, I didn't fully get the "mobs" joke until just this very moment, which actually makes me appreciate it more. Also, it makes me feel a little dumb, but I'm used to that.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

rantmo posted:

You know, I didn't fully get the "mobs" joke until just this very moment

:confused:

. . .

:bang:

:downs:

(I think that kind of says it all.)

It's weird, though, I sort of see what Captain Oblivious means - it didn't feel out of place until I realized the clever pun, and now it feels kind of shoehorned in somehow. Humor is hard.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I wouldn't really call it a shoehorned joke. It's just a corny pun, like something you would hear on Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, no one has posted it yet?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0620.html

Click here for the full 740x933 image.

I have to admit, I'm at a loss as to the punchline. Is Haley just freaked because Belkar is advocating non-violence, or am I missing a reference to a previous strip.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
It's all about the Belkar baby!! Fuckin' A that was great ... I'm also excited to see how the rest of the party will react to the 'new and improved' Belkar :D

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, no one has posted it yet?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0620.html

Click here for the full 740x933 image.

I have to admit, I'm at a loss as to the punchline. Is Haley just freaked because Belkar is advocating non-violence, or am I missing a reference to a previous strip.

It's a comical over-reaction to Belkar's new ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a comical over-reaction to Belkar's new ways.

I figured that, but I've also just woken up.