Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

boo_radley posted:

Can anyone confirm good luck with a CycloDS and an 8GB SDHC? Newegg has an 8 GB card on sale. I've heard some sdhc readers have problems with anything above 4GB, and want a little reassurance.

Never had any problems with mine, and Kingston is a solid brand. You may want to pick up this one instead, though, since for $2 more you get a dandy little reader with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So from what I can tell using a flash cart depletes the DS battery faster than if using a normal game. Will the battery capacity continue to decline the more I use the flash cart?

I realize of course that several factors go into determining battery usage but I'm just looking for general info.

Will I have to replace my battery sooner as a result of using flash carts?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

boo_radley posted:

Can anyone confirm good luck with a CycloDS and an 8GB SDHC? Newegg has an 8 GB card on sale. I've heard some sdhc readers have problems with anything above 4GB, and want a little reassurance.

I got a cycloDS and an 8GB kingston microSD card for christmas and I haven't had any problems.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Chinaski posted:

So from what I can tell using a flash cart depletes the DS battery faster than if using a normal game. Will the battery capacity continue to decline the more I use the flash cart?

I realize of course that several factors go into determining battery usage but I'm just looking for general info.

Will I have to replace my battery sooner as a result of using flash carts?

probably, but you can get a replacement for like $5 on dealextreme.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
awesome, thanks! Cyclo and and 8GB card in the works. See you in hell, old iPod!

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Alright dumb question but i'm completely lost.

Whats the in game menu button combination for the cycloDS? I just cant figure it out.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Econosaurus posted:

Alright dumb question but i'm completely lost.

Whats the in game menu button combination for the cycloDS? I just cant figure it out.

LRXYAB

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

boo_radley posted:

awesome, thanks! Cyclo and and 8GB card in the works. See you in hell, old iPod!

the DS makes a pretty poor mp3 player, fyi

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Buchanandorf posted:

the DS makes a pretty poor mp3 player, fyi

Yeah, the max volume is really low and audio quality is horrible. I can't enjoy music like that so I rather skip listening to music when going somewhere than bring my DS along for the ride.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
how is it for video?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

violetdragon posted:

how is it for video?

Awful. Do you really want to watch video on a 256x192 screen at 15 FPS?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Rock Tumbler posted:

I disagree with this entirely. I think Moonshell actually does a pretty decent job of having passable videos on the go, unless you're expecting Blu-ray quality or something. Besides, you can compact .dpg files pretty well, so they don't even take up much space.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Rock Tumbler posted:

stop crushing my dreams :smith:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
DSVideo performed pretty good for me, but the site isn't even online anymore. I wouldn't seriously want to watch videos on my DS anyway, have got a widescreen laptop.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

So nobody knows a good Asia-based site for a 3-in-1 besides dealextreme? I guess I'll go hit up Yongsan and Techno Mart tomorrow and see if I can buy one in person, and if not then I'll import one from the US or Australia :smith:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Well, looking around electronics markets in Seoul, the R4 was everywhere, a couple people had the EZ V, and one person had the DSTT or TTDS or whatever it is. Nobody had a single thing that goes in slot 2, though. Didn't see anybody selling the CycloDS either.

So I ordered from RealHotStuff. $23 item with $22 shipping :smith:

cakeslob
Jul 10, 2007

:twisted:I'M PEGGY HILL:twisted::wtc::q::mmhmm:

Roar posted:

I disagree with this entirely. I think Moonshell actually does a pretty decent job of having passable videos on the go, unless you're expecting Blu-ray quality or something. Besides, you can compact .dpg files pretty well, so they don't even take up much space.

yeah the space they take is very minimal,
and its not that bad for what it is, sometimes the audio and video get out of sync and the volume doesnt go very loud
but you cant beat the size of a .dpg file

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
I read the thread and I'm still a bit confused about something. At http://www.realhotstuff.com/cyclods-evolution-microsd-bundle-p-213.html it lists memory cards you can get AND a 2GB microSD as a promotion that's included. Do I need both of these or is the 2GB microSD a memory card? Sorry if this was answered and I somehow missed it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wilhelm posted:

I read the thread and I'm still a bit confused about something. At http://www.realhotstuff.com/cyclods-evolution-microsd-bundle-p-213.html it lists memory cards you can get AND a 2GB microSD as a promotion that's included. Do I need both of these or is the 2GB microSD a memory card? Sorry if this was answered and I somehow missed it.

MicroSD is what you need. It's been a while since I bought one but I don't think the Cyclo comes with any memory so you have to provide your own.

The price they're charging for the MicroSD is ludicrous, though. You can get 2gb cards for much less than what they're asking by shopping around a bit. Any MicroSD card will work with the Cyclo, so shop around until you can find one that fits the memory/price point you're looking for.

Edit: Looking at it, it looks like the "Promotion" is a 2gb MicroSD so you shouldn't bother adding an extra unless you really need one. The price still seems slightly on the expensive side, though.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 5, 2009

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Ddraig posted:

MicroSD is what you need. It's been a while since I bought one but I don't think the Cyclo comes with any memory so you have to provide your own.

The price they're charging for the MicroSD is ludicrous, though. You can get 2gb cards for much less than what they're asking by shopping around a bit. Any MicroSD card will work with the Cyclo, so shop around until you can find one that fits the memory/price point you're looking for.

Yeah but what I think it's saying is that you get a free 2GB microSD because it's a bundle which I suppose makes the price a bit better. I'll keep shopping around but it doesn't seem too bad if the microSD is included.

Edit- Oops missed what you said, I believe that's the case. Thank you for the help!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I bought mine from them, and got the EZ 3-in-1 for about $76 shipped. Everything is working fine so far, and the EZ 3-in-1 seems to be the "new" version, though it looked as though it was used as it had wear marks from being inserted. Can't complain, everything works and now my DS does cool stuff. :)

Edit: My microSD card was black too, if you care, and made in Taiwan. No other brand name is written on it, just some random numbers and such.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 5, 2009

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Does the EZ 3-in-1 require an additional memory card or is just the one that comes with the package sufficient for both?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DreamOn13 posted:

I bought mine from them, and got the EZ 3-in-1 for about $76 shipped. Everything is working fine so far, and the EZ 3-in-1 seems to be the "new" version, though it looked as though it was used as it had wear marks from being inserted. Can't complain, everything works and now my DS does cool stuff. :)

Edit: My microSD card was black too, if you care, and made in Taiwan. No other brand name is written on it, just some random numbers and such.

WHOA!! Hold the phone. 76 for that slot-2 thing? I bought mine in the summer and it was less than 20 bucks!! What the gently caress happened? Did you get scammed, or was there a price hike, or is this something I'm unaware of...

Cause I gotta buy a new one, mine broke recently.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Morter posted:

WHOA!! Hold the phone. 76 for that slot-2 thing? I bought mine in the summer and it was less than 20 bucks!! What the gently caress happened? Did you get scammed, or was there a price hike, or is this something I'm unaware of...

Cause I gotta buy a new one, mine broke recently.

I think he's saying he got a Cyclo and a 3in1 for $71 total, which is about right

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Buchanandorf posted:

I think he's saying he got a Cyclo and a 3in1 for $71 total, which is about right

Exactly what I meant. I got the bundled microSD so that means I got CycloDS also.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MP*DeafRei posted:

Yeah the "EZFlash 3-in-1 Memory Expansion Pack for NDS Lite" got it from DealExtreme when they were I think $20 around Christmas.

I need to put a microcard inside of the EZFlash?

edit: just to clarify the Cyclo works fine, I'm playing Nethack on it right now. What I'm trying to do now is get this brand new EZFlash cart to work at all.

I saw this post and thought my recently purchased EZFlash was defective...Mine doesn't show up when I first start my DS, but the rumble and other features seem to work fine, though I haven't tried saving on it yet.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Wilhelm posted:

Does the EZ 3-in-1 require an additional memory card or is just the one that comes with the package sufficient for both?

I wasn't aware the 3-in-1 HAD a memory card. It doesn't work without a slot-1, does it? I thought it just pulled off of the slot-1 for whatever you need it for.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

I saw this post and thought my recently purchased EZFlash was defective...Mine doesn't show up when I first start my DS, but the rumble and other features seem to work fine, though I haven't tried saving on it yet.

It won't show up on the DS's main screen unless you've got a ROM written to it in NOR mode.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, so I think my Cyclo is hosed or something?

Everytime I try to load it up, it finishes loading, and then my DS reboots directly back to the first warning screen. This does not happen if I have it plugged in to the wall. I can't really find anything about this problem online. If anybody has any suggestions, please, this sucks.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MP*DeafRei posted:

Yeah the "EZFlash 3-in-1 Memory Expansion Pack for NDS Lite" got it from DealExtreme when they were I think $20 around Christmas.

I need to put a microcard inside of the EZFlash?

edit: just to clarify the Cyclo works fine, I'm playing Nethack on it right now. What I'm trying to do now is get this brand new EZFlash cart to work at all.

Which version of Nethack are you playing on your Cyclo? I tried it from here - http://stuartp.commixus.com/nhds/

I could not get it running for the life of me. Seemed it couldn't locate a file or something (the text was blurry so it was hard to tell). Any ideas?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, so I think my Cyclo is hosed or something?

Everytime I try to load it up, it finishes loading, and then my DS reboots directly back to the first warning screen. This does not happen if I have it plugged in to the wall. I can't really find anything about this problem online. If anybody has any suggestions, please, this sucks.

Assuming you've already tried reseating the cartridge, I can't really imagine what the problem could be. You might want to stick a fresh copy of the latest firmware on there and have it run through installation again.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Buchanandorf posted:

Assuming you've already tried reseating the cartridge, I can't really imagine what the problem could be. You might want to stick a fresh copy of the latest firmware on there and have it run through installation again.

Yeah, I've tried new firmware and everything. Other games on my DS work fine. The Cyclo works fine on other DSes though. Not sure what could be the problem.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Have you tried disabling various functions, particularly the Battery Saver mode? I have no idea how it works or what it does, but since the problem seems to be somehow power related, I might try that. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Buchanandorf posted:

Have you tried disabling various functions, particularly the Battery Saver mode? I have no idea how it works or what it does, but since the problem seems to be somehow power related, I might try that. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Ok. Disabling Battery Saver seemed to work.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Ok. Disabling Battery Saver seemed to work.

:pwn:

Well, color me surprised. That just makes its function all the more mysterious.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

quote:

Your https://www.jandaman.com order has shipped. US residents expect your order in 3-5 business days. International customers expect your order in 7-14 business days.

:woop: I can't wait to check out powder on its intended platform.

Meneer
Sep 16, 2004

I'm trying to keep up
someone should make a 3D editor for the DS. Something along the lines of Google Sketchup.

On my desk by friday please.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

The MoonShell developer has resumed work and posted some news about version 2. moonspeak google translate

Looks like he's making it work on the DSi and doing various other fixes.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
Just posting to finally recommend http://www.pcjerry.co.uk for Europeans who aren't interested in a long wait from Asia or the U.S. - I posted a few days ago but was not confirming anything as I was still awaiting the package.

£46.84 for a CycloDS revolution plus a 4gb kingston microSD card and shipping. Everything was packaged well, etc.

For me this was a bargain as I was paying in Euro and the exchange rate was favourable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man

disgraceful posted:

Just posting to finally recommend http://www.pcjerry.co.uk for Europeans who aren't interested in a long wait from Asia or the U.S. - I posted a few days ago but was not confirming anything as I was still awaiting the package.

£46.84 for a CycloDS revolution plus a 4gb kingston microSD card and shipping. Everything was packaged well, etc.

For me this was a bargain as I was paying in Euro and the exchange rate was favourable.

For price reference, I think I paid about £6-7 total for my DSTT and 2gb kingston micro SD card from dealextreme.com which is ridiculously cheap and I only had to wait like 2 weeks.

• Locked thread