Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Serella posted:

So my sister just moved out to California and left her two guinea pigs in the care of my mother. This now makes three guinea pigs she's taking care of, and the cost of bedding is really getting expensive. When she only had one, she used Carefresh exclusively, but now that there are three, she has no choice but to mix in a little bit of wood chips otherwise she'd be shelling out $20 a week on a big bag of Carefresh to keep all the cages clean, and this on top of the increased cost of food.

One particular problem is that one of my sister's guinea pigs is a water guzzler. Drinks nearly an entire bottle a day, which means he obviously pees a lot more. Because of this, his cage needs to be cleaned more frequently. Now, I recently added kitty litter to the bottom of my ferrets' litter pan (underneath the usual layer of Yesterday's News) and found that the smell is greatly reduced and the pan doesn't need to have a full change as often.

What I'm wondering is if this can in any way work with guinea pigs. Right now the bedding set-up is several layers of newspaper, a very thin layer of wood chips, and then Carefresh on top of that. Would it be ok to put some kitty litter under the Carefresh, replacing the wood chips? Or even sandwiching it between some newspaper to keep it further removed? My concern would be that sometimes the pigs rip up the paper and eat it a bit when they're bored or want to be fed, so there might be a small amount of ingestion. Is there any kind of kitty litter that would not be dangerous to them, but still be very absorbent? If it doesn't work, I might get her to try some of the Yesterday's News, but it just doesn't absorb as well. Any help on this or more economical guinea pig bedding would be very appreciated.

What about wood stove pellets? They're what we use for our ferrets' litter, and you can generally get them in either softwood or hardwood. If you go hardwood, you're guaranteed that it's not pine or cedar, which have scents that might bother the guinea pigs' respiratory systems. Would that be okay, guinea pig people?

They're basically compressed sawdust pellets that sort of fall apart when moisture hits them, and they are incredibly cheap if you get them from, say, Home Depot during the winter. I pay about $5 for 40 lb. They're also used as an underlayer for horse bedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

maplecheese posted:

wood stove pellets

Probably not going to work since my mother lives in south Florida. I tried to find those to use for my ferrets, and they didn't sell them in north Florida, so I doubt she'll be able to find them down there. The best substitute is the Yesterday's News (recycled newspaper pellets), but it's like $10-15 for a 15 lb bag, but even that adds up with changing the whole cage (as opposed to just a litter box) once or twice a week for three cages.

Tricycle_Monkey
Sep 13, 2007

by The Finn
I bought my gf a dwarf hamster for christmas that turned out to be pregnant. I am about 95% sure she only has one baby that she is taking care of. The real issue here is that I was planning on taking her home with me when I leave for a week but that involves a 10-12 hour car trip. Now that its winter and there is a 5 day old baby in the cage, is it even safe to bring her with me?

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication
I'm reposting this from my own thread, since I'm not sure I'll get a reply over there...

I am trying to transition my 4.5 month old kitten from Iams Kitten to Solid Gold Katzenflocken. However, though I started him on a 50/50 ratio, he is eating all the Solid Gold and leaving the Iams. So do I just give in and pitch the Iams, or do I keep only giving him 50/50 and trying to force a gradual transition? So far, no horrible litterbox consequences, but we are still early in the process.

Also, I posted some fresh pics in the "Meet Max Power" thread... I don't want him to explode, but I don't want to spam everyone with them either, so go check them out if you're so inclined.

Thanks!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mumblingscrapwaver posted:

I'm reposting this from my own thread, since I'm not sure I'll get a reply over there...

I am trying to transition my 4.5 month old kitten from Iams Kitten to Solid Gold Katzenflocken. However, though I started him on a 50/50 ratio, he is eating all the Solid Gold and leaving the Iams. So do I just give in and pitch the Iams, or do I keep only giving him 50/50 and trying to force a gradual transition? So far, no horrible litterbox consequences, but we are still early in the process.

Also, I posted some fresh pics in the "Meet Max Power" thread... I don't want him to explode, but I don't want to spam everyone with them either, so go check them out if you're so inclined.

Thanks!

Generally, the gradual transition is to make it easier on the cat. If Max Power loves the new food, and his tummy isn't having problems, looks like you have smooth sailing ahead.

EmeraldFlashlight
Mar 17, 2006

by T. Fine
One of my cats is doing some very strange litter box stuff. First of all, box is brand clean, etc, etc. I've had old cats with urinary issues before, but this guy is young, only about two.

I noticed he's been kicking litter up and spreading it everywhere, much more than usual, so I started paying attention to what he's doing in there. He's digging like crazy, and squatting like he's going to pee, then just walking away. It doesn't seem like he's straining, really. Then, two minutes later, he goes back in there, and starts digging again. He'll repeat this for something like a half hour, then he's off on his merry way. I haven't I haven't caught him actually peeing, but it's only been a couple days since I've been really paying attention. So I'm worried there could be some kind of blockage going on, but if he was completely unable to pee, wouldn't there be some other signs of distress? He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and is his normal active self. I gave his tummy some experimental squeezes, and he purrs and snuggles and just seems to enjoy the attention (In other words reacts just like normal). I know if I couldn't pee I'd react differently to that... Also, the excessive digging thing has been going on for at least a week, before I finally figured out the weird squatting and not going thing today. If he really hasn't been able to go at all for over a week...well, he'd be dead, yeah?

Ok, as I'm typing this, he just walked into my room, sat in a houseplant and squatted and of course didn't pee. He's never done that before, or had any kind of going outside the box things. Very weird.

This is one of those "just take him to the vet" questions, isn't it?

It's also worth noting that he's only doing this in the mornings, from about 8 am until noon or so. After that and then all night long he's behaving normally, although like I said, I haven't noticed him peeing normally those times. (But I don't usually catch him peeing anyway.)

EmeraldFlashlight fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 29, 2008

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

EmeraldFlashlight posted:

He's digging like crazy, and squatting like he's going to pee, then just walking away. It doesn't seem like he's straining, really. Then, two minutes later, he goes back in there, and starts digging again.

Sounds just like how one of mine was behaving. Crusha acted pretty normal apart from that, and the odd pissing-on-my-sofa/bed/clothes incidents, and he had a UTI and crystals too. He's only 3 years old and has had no prior health problems.

This is one of those "just take him to the vet" questions, isn't it?

Given how bad crystals can get, particularly for a male cat, you should definitely take him in ASAP for a checkup. It might be nothing, or it might just be a mild infection, but you definitely want to get it checked before it potentially becomes more serious.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

One of my cats is doing some very strange litter box stuff. First of all, box is brand clean, etc, etc. I've had old cats with urinary issues before, but this guy is young, only about two.

I just went through this with one of my cats, where she was in an out of the box and only peeing a couple drops every time she squatted. It progressed to squatting other places, and then the drops being bloody. In her case there were no stones, crystals or bacterial infection, so she was diagnosed with idiopathic sterile cystitis, which essentially means inflammation of the bladder and urinary tract without a specific cause. The vet said this syndrome is increasingly being recognized as related to environment or stress. Your cat could have this, or the more well-known crystals, stones or UTI, so a vet visit is in order. Given that he's male and could block much more easily, get the appointment sooner rather than later and be very watchful for that.

EmeraldFlashlight
Mar 17, 2006

by T. Fine
He's at the vet right now, just to let everyone know I'm not being one of those "I don't know if I should go so I'll just ask the internet and wait and see if it fixes itself" type people.

They did an x-ray right away, and the vet said his bladder looked fine and didn't think that was blocked, but there was a lot of weird gas in his intestines, so maybe he's been trying to poop instead of pee like I thought.

So, they're doing tests and watching him today to see if they can figure out what's going on. I'm glad I got it checked and at least know he's not blocked with crystals, because I know how serious that is, but if it turns out he's just constipated or something, I'm going to be pissed I'm dropping like $500 bucks on this...

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Chaco posted:

In her case there were no stones, crystals or bacterial infection, so she was diagnosed with idiopathic sterile cystitis, which essentially means inflammation of the bladder and urinary tract without a specific cause. The vet said this syndrome is increasingly being recognized as related to environment or stress.

That's interesting... the same cat who had a UTI and crystals for me is now clear of both (multiple urine tests done), and he has tested negative of everything we can think of (diabetes/kidney problems/FELV/FIV/anemia/loads of other stuff) but he STILL has a fever (ongoing for a long time) and pissing on stuff periodically. My vet is baffled and we're still doing ongoing tests (scheduled for an ultrasound this week).

She essayed a speculation that he could be causing himself to be stressed (he's scared of everyone who isn't me, my fiancé or my mum and I've had a good number of other people around lately). I might have to try and translate the condition to her and see what she says, if the ultrasound doesn't flag anything up.

but if it turns out he's just constipated or something, I'm going to be pissed I'm dropping like $500 bucks on this...

Been there, done that! I thought Mango was somehow pregnant once - she was getting fat, had a little round belly on her, and felt like she had kittens in her. She was unspayed at the time, kept indoors with 4 neutered males and there was no way she got out (10th floor flat!) but I was still worried because I've had "oops" litters with my ferrets before because the vet "missed a side" on the ferret vasectomy :3: I was a little worried that something similar had happened to one of my male cats (who never lost the urge to chase her around for some lovin').

Vet agreed it felt like she might be pregnant... 1 ex-ray and a lot of money later, and she was constipated because she was eating my ferrets' bedding hay. Bloody cat!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Not so much a question as an exciting discovery.

Now that we're getting into the home stretch on the dog acquisition journey, I have been trying to find places where I can buy things like the premium dog foods from the nutrition megathread. So far I had only been able to locate Wellness at the local Petco and some of the other high quality brands at a store called Weber's Pet Supermarket that is ultra super inconvenient due to hours and location, and will be even more inconvenient after we move. I really didn't like being in a position to either be stuck with one brand (although Wellness is on the Ultra Premium list) or having to haul myself to the pain-in-the-rear end specialty store.

Today walking around the little shopping center across the street from us we decided to wander into Wylie Wagg, a store we had noticed because of the extremely cute dog pictures in the windows but had never entered (since we don't have a dog yet). We were really impressed. They had a big bulletin board advertising local rescues and a back area filled with really high quality foods.

Here's their product list for foods.

quote:

Dry Dog Food: California Natural, Fromm, Innova, Evo, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Orijen, Solid Gold, Before Grain, Sammy Snacks, Wellness

Dry Cat Food: Before Grain, California Natural, Fromm, Innova, Evo, Nature's Variety, Orijen, Solid Gold and Wysong

Raw Dog Food: Aunt Jeni's, Bravo, Europa, Honest Kitchen, Nature's Variety, Paw Naturaw, Primal and Stella & Chewy's

Raw Cat Food: Aunt Jeni's, Honest Kitchen, Nature's Variety, Stella & Chewy's and Primal

Canned Dog Food: Before Grain, California Natural, Dogswell, Evanger's, Fromm, Innova, Evo, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Solid Gold, So Organic and Wellness

Canned Cat Food: Before Grain, California Natural, Fromm, Innova, Evo, Merrick, Newman's Own, Solid Gold, Wellness and Weruva

I thought that was pretty cool. Their prices were pretty good across the board, and in addition to food they had high quality treats, ceramic and stainless steel food bowls, inexpensive and well-constructed toys, and a wide selection of collars, leashes, and winter apparel. The store leaned a little more towards dogs, but there were lots of cat products as well. They had a big fridge full of raw diets for both cats and dogs.

So hey, Northern Virginia pet goons, they've got several area locations and their staff were really nice. Thought I'd share.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Helanna posted:

That's interesting... the same cat who had a UTI and crystals for me is now clear of both (multiple urine tests done), and he has tested negative of everything we can think of (diabetes/kidney problems/FELV/FIV/anemia/loads of other stuff) but he STILL has a fever (ongoing for a long time) and pissing on stuff periodically. My vet is baffled and we're still doing ongoing tests (scheduled for an ultrasound this week).

The other possibility is that the inappropriate urination has become a habit because of the UTI/crystals episode, though a fever wouldn't go along with that. If he always has a slight fever though, and he stresses out as easily as you say, ask your vet if THAT could be behavioral too--some animals stress out at the vet enough to raise their temp a little.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Chaco posted:

The other possibility is that the inappropriate urination has become a habit because of the UTI/crystals episode, though a fever wouldn't go along with that. If he always has a slight fever though, and he stresses out as easily as you say, ask your vet if THAT could be behavioral too--some animals stress out at the vet enough to raise their temp a little.

Yeah we considered that as well, but I'm convinced the fever and urination is connected; the vet believes so as well, which is why we're testing everything we can think of at the moment. He does stress very easily, so one thing we did (in an attempted to get his "normal" temperature) was for me to grab him early one morning and arrive very quickly at the vets. His temperature was equally as high as every other visit, so the vet thinks that he is keeping a fever all the time.

I've tried taking his temperature at home myself, but he doesn't take kindly to me shoving something up his butt :3: He'll sit still for the vet, but not for me.

If we can't find anything specific during these tests, I guess we might try some kind of anti-stress medication. He's an angel about being pilled after all this carryon for the last couple of months. Pilled him this morning, and he just kept purring while I sat on him and poked the pill down his throat; he swallows it immediately as well, no struggling.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Anyone have any tips for improving the temperature of a terrarium in a cold house? I have a 10 gal. hermit crab tank with an under tank heater. The house drops to about 60 and the tank goes to about 64, which is much colder than I'd like. Should I pack the tank in styrofoam or something? I considered putting a towel over it at night, but I don't want to totally screw up the humidity.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 31, 2008

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Cuddlebottom posted:

Anyone have any tips for improving the temperature of a terrarium in a cold house? I have a 10 gal. hermit crab tank with an under tank heater. The house drops to about 60 and the tank goes to about 64, which is much colder than I'd like. Should I pack the tank in styrofoam or something? I considered putting a towel over it at night, but I don't want to totally screw up the humidity.

You could wrap it in insulation during the night. Maybe something like this. You might not want to wrap it completely.

Or this thinner stuff may serve your purposes better: here

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 1, 2009

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
If we were to get a doggy door for our poodle, will we have a problem with the neighbourhood cats wandering into the house while we are out? Anything we can do to avoid this?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

RyanNotBrian posted:

If we were to get a doggy door for our poodle, will we have a problem with the neighbourhood cats wandering into the house while we are out? Anything we can do to avoid this?

A couple of companies make pet doors that have to be activated by a device on the animal's collar in order to open. Staywell I think offers the most varieties. Most pet stores have a selection of them, you could give them a look. Never used them myself, but I've heard positive things.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

RyanNotBrian posted:

My mum has a couple of the neighbourhood cats coming in through her pet door and hasn't yet managed to stop it.

One of them sprays everywhere and is a mean cat apparently, and the other one is sweet and timid and in love with my Mum's cat so my Mum has started feeding him >.<

She still kicks out the mean cat when she catches him though.

How reliable are those device-activated doors? Seems like your cat/dog could easily lose the device or it might stop working and leave your pet out in the cold.

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

A couple of companies make pet doors that have to be activated by a device on the animal's collar in order to open. Staywell I think offers the most varieties. Most pet stores have a selection of them, you could give them a look. Never used them myself, but I've heard positive things.

I'd be hesitant to leave a collar and device on him all day while we were out. He's a toy poodle puppy and can get into mischief. I wouldn't want the collar to catch on something and choke him.

Is there any sort of cat repellent that the dog wont mind? Sorry, I don't know a thing about cats.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

RyanNotBrian posted:

I'd be hesitant to leave a collar and device on him all day while we were out. He's a toy poodle puppy and can get into mischief. I wouldn't want the collar to catch on something and choke him.

He needs to have a collar on, for his own safety should he get out. The "device" in question is usually no larger than a rabies tag (albeit a bit thicker) and frequently much smaller.

If you are that paranoid about him getting into trouble then you should not be letting him outside unsupervised, negating the need for a dog door.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
My cats are early risers and it's killing me. They have only been here around 2 weeks but they have made themselves at home. Every morning at around ten minutes to they both go ballistic and start running around climbing up the curtains and generally destroying what they can.

Any ideas to help me sleep a full nights sleep?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

RyanNotBrian posted:

Most people leave collars on their dogs all the time, you know. If you're concerned about him hurting himself, buy a breakaway collar.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

RyanNotBrian posted:

Is there any sort of cat repellent that the dog wont mind? Sorry, I don't know a thing about cats.

He really does need to wear a collar for his own safety in case he gets lost. There IS a kind of pet door that works by checking the pet's microchip, though - see http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/ . You would have to pay £50 for shipping if you're not in Europe, though, which I think is rather exorbitant. Plus the thing itself costs £124.29.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Serella posted:

guinea pigs and kitty litter

No kitty litters are safe for use with guinea pigs, apart from Yesterday's News and Feline Pine (AKA wood stove pellets). There is no harm in switching entirely or mostly to aspen shavings (not pine), just using carefresh in the corners and sleeping areas, or switch to fleece and use litterboxes with carefresh in them.

For the water bottle thing, there are two solutions to help with that that may make the question moot. The first is to place a medium-sized ceramic bowl or small square litterbox under the bottle. Fill it with bedding and clean it daily after it absorbs all the drips. You may also have some luck just with a flat brick or paving stone under the bottle. I use those, and while some leakage does occur, it's still better than the bottle leaking directly on the bedding.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
My rear end in a top hat neighbours tied some dog to their porch using a rope, so I'm assuming they can go get hammered, and it has been howling (not really barking) and yelping for the past 45 minutes, its also about -30c out.

We are also in a subdivision that doesn't allow you keeping your pets outside, especially not at night when you're gone and they won't stop howling. I'm not about to go let it off the leash in fear it'll attack me, but I want to give it some food and water.

Would flakes of turkey (the only sutible food I have for a dog) be safe to give it?

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

My rear end in a top hat neighbours tied some dog to their porch using a rope, so I'm assuming they can go get hammered, and it has been howling (not really barking) and yelping for the past 45 minutes, its also about -30c out.

We are also in a subdivision that doesn't allow you keeping your pets outside, especially not at night when you're gone and they won't stop howling. I'm not about to go let it off the leash in fear it'll attack me, but I want to give it some food and water.

Would flakes of turkey (the only sutible food I have for a dog) be safe to give it?

It'd probably be best to call the cops and/or animal control instead. Tell us where you are if you need help finding the information.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

maplecheese posted:

It'd probably be best to call the cops and/or animal control instead. Tell us where you are if you need help finding the information.

Cops directed me to bylaw, dozen rings, answering machine.

I googled my towns animal control, outdated number and an answering machine for the fire department, found the Animal Control Officer's number, answering machine.

I scoured the Yellow Pages, Google, my towns website, local phonebook, called 411. Trust me, I've tried everything I could think of, which is why I'm resorting to going out and feeding it.

It's calmed down a lot right now, it's just sitting there on the porch as dogs do. I think it may have been freaking out because it was a new place (it's not the neighbours dog, I think its her boyfriends), at night in a place with wildlife a fence away.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Even if this thing is a husky with a full winter coat, -30 is REALLY COLD to be out at night without any kind of decent shelter. It might have stopped barking because it's too cold. (What kind of dog IS it, anyway?) Right now, the cold is way more of a threat to its well being than being a little hungry...

Your neighbours suck. :(

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
One of the neighbours friends pulled up in her housecoat and slippers and got the dog into her van and drove off with it.

So unless its some dog serial killer, it had a happy ending.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
We've noticed that our empty craigslist aquarium has a small crack in the plastic frame, near a top corner. There are no current leaks (we did a 24 hour water test in the bathroom). Is the plastic at the top structural at all? Or is it just to cap off the glass, and give a lip for the lid (I hope).

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

We've noticed that our empty craigslist aquarium has a small crack in the plastic frame, near a top corner. There are no current leaks (we did a 24 hour water test in the bathroom). Is the plastic at the top structural at all? Or is it just to cap off the glass, and give a lip for the lid (I hope).

witch way is the crack running? The top plastic is only there to keep the four sides from flopping down when the tank is full of water.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I just got a new (first) dog yesterday and I will be asking a lot of questions over the next month or so. He is a Mini Schnauzer names Percy that was rescued from a shelter and was fostered for 4 months before I adopted him. He was Heart Worm positive when he was first rescued but he has been negative and on preventative medicine for a couple months.

Now to the questions.

He is the most calm dog I have ever seen. He will sit still for hours, he hasn't barked yet, and he doesn't seem interested in the toys we have for him (a plush squeak toy, a tug of war rope, and an ever popular Kong with peanut butter. Is any of this abnormal for a dog that has just moved homes?

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Speaking to the breeder of our new toy poodle puppy today, she recommended for toilet training to get a doorbell for the puppy. She told us how to train him to ring the bell when he wants to go outside for toilet.

Has anyone tried this? To me it sounds fine when you're at home, but when you go somewhere where there is no doorbell then he won't know what to do and possibly go inside.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

RyanNotBrian posted:

Speaking to the breeder of our new toy poodle puppy today, she recommended for toilet training to get a doorbell for the puppy. She told us how to train him to ring the bell when he wants to go outside for toilet.

Has anyone tried this? To me it sounds fine when you're at home, but when you go somewhere where there is no doorbell then he won't know what to do and possibly go inside.

Get one of these, train the dog with it and bring it with you.

http://www.gadgetshack.com/wireless-doorbell-buzzer-push-button.html

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My boy's having a hard time settling in and I'm afraid he's not drinking enough.
Is there anything I can do to entice him to drink? I was thinking a little chicken broth in his water but I don't want to get him used to that.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

funmanguy posted:

He is the most calm dog I have ever seen. He will sit still for hours, he hasn't barked yet, and he doesn't seem interested in the toys we have for him (a plush squeak toy, a tug of war rope, and an ever popular Kong with peanut butter. Is any of this abnormal for a dog that has just moved homes?

That's perfectly normal give him time and he will get used to everything, right now he's probably quiet because he might be a little unsure after a big change like moving and new people. Given time his personality will come out. Also if he doesn't like PB (my new GSD didn't either) try stuffing it with some wet food, she went nuts for that.

As for the toys I can't really help there, we're still having that problem with her, my best suggestion is bring him around other dogs alot and he can learn from them what to do with toys.

Toussaint Louveture
If you're worried about him drinking enough you can try either giving him some wet food which contains more moisture and will prevent dehydration. Or if you think that it's because he dosen't understnad where that water is you can put a drop of food coloring in it to help him see it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Some people in this forum commented on pet-fountains helping out for picky drinkers. That might be a possibility. They're not cheap, though.

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication
I am waiting to hear back from the vet, so I'm not asking for meds advice... just an informal food survey here.

I switched Max Power's food, as described above... he liked the Solid Gold so much I ended up just chucking the end of the crappy McKibble he came with. Ever since, he's been having softer, stinkier poos than he did before. I would not call it full-on diarrhea, but they don't hold their shape in the litter box, they turn into weird free-form shapes.

It's been long enough that I'm thinking he should be adjusted to the food by now. I see I posted on Dec. 29. My question for PI is -- is a week enough time to be over food-transition symptoms, or am I just being paranoid?

Just in case anyone's curious... the reason I called the vet over something so minor is, he got his rabies shot a month ago. Two weeks ago, I noticed some fatty lumps near the injection site. I took him back in for a follow-up, and the vet said that it seemed more like a zoomies-related bruise than a shot reaction, but she wasn't entirely sure. She assured me that they looked like things she's seen in the past, though, and that it was nothing to worry about. (She's an awesome vet, and I trust her.)

She gave me some anti-inflammatories to feed him twice daily - arnica, which I know is a plant, and THVJA, which also seems to be a plant. (She's a "real" vet, but she practices holistic veterinary medicine as well, which I think is neat.) They look like tiny white BBs. I mush up a soft Purina treat and stick one inside, and he gulps it down like nobody's business. Two in the AM, and two at night. The lumps are definitely receding, so all is well there. So what I called her about today was, could this med be contributing to his poop problem at all?

But I honestly think it's probably just the food-switch. He's drinking enough, so I'm not too worried, regardless. I just thought I'd see what you all thought. (And sorry for the wall of text!)

mumblingscrapwaver fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 5, 2009

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication

Sundae posted:

Some people in this forum commented on pet-fountains helping out for picky drinkers. That might be a possibility. They're not cheap, though.

We got a Drinkwell as an xmas gift this year, and I was thrilled. Max Power loves it, too. In fact... he loves it so much, that if we have to turn it off (we have a small apt and sometimes my bf is a light sleeper) he will take it apart to figure out what happened to the water. He jams his paw into the spout, the lid falls off, and he starts playing in the filter reservoir. So if you're not a fan of noise, beware -- once you get him used to it, you may not be able to go back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
mumblingscrapwaver, I had switched Sadie's food when I first got her and had the same problem. Soft stools even though it was a high quality food (Orijen). Turned out there was too much protein in her for it so I ended up having to switch again. She's on Now for the time being and things improved drastically, including the stinky gas she used to get. This stuff is more expensive, but she likes it and it's good for her so I don't mind. So I guess my point is that just because it's a high quality food doesn't necessarily mean its the right one for your pet.

Hopefully it's the meds though so you don't have to try and figure out a different food.