Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

I'm looking for a good textual file manager in the vein of Total Commander / Midnight Commander, but I'd like it to have drag and drop and mouse highlighting capabilities. Anything out there like this? I'm running Arch with Openbox and I'm trying to do a "minimalist" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Paging ShadowHawk.

Running the latest Wine from your repos on Ubuntu 8.10, and I saw the entry in release notes about subpixel font antialiasing. Where do I enable it? Checked winecfg but I found nothing.

I Hate Admin !!
Jan 19, 2007

by Nutt Hogg
Is there any NAS solution (hard drive) that will work with Ubuntu? I don't want to use an entire computer just to spin a 1TB hard drive.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

I Hate Admin !! posted:

Is there any NAS solution (hard drive) that will work with Ubuntu? I don't want to use an entire computer just to spin a 1TB hard drive.
Ubuntu supports both SMB and NFS out of the box so mounting a NAS drive either through /etc/fstab or GNOME's "Connect to server" dialog won't be a problem.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

SELinux sucks, and I challenge anyone to prove me otherwise.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Houston Rockets posted:

I'm still not sure what it does that DEP doesn't already do, aside from waste my time.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Houston Rockets posted:

Get used to it, because it will probably start to be used in all distros. It is annoying in some ways, but it definitely provides an extra layer of security.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
Hey is there any way I can use the command line "zip" program to batch-zip a folder worth of files into seperate zip files? Or do I need another program for that? Cheers.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Onken posted:

Hey is there any way I can use the command line "zip" program to batch-zip a folder worth of files into seperate zip files? Or do I need another program for that? Cheers.

Have you tried doing something like ls thatdir | xargs zip? That won't work straight out, I can never remember the exact way to use xargs and have to look it up everytime, but the idea is that you'd pipe each file from ls into zip. Read the man page for xargs to get ideas.

StrikerJ
Oct 8, 2001

To get my Corsair Voyager USB stick to mount in Debian and Ubuntu I have to change the following value from the default 5 seconds to something like 8 with this command:

echo 8 > /sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/inq_timeout

What I wonder is how to make this value stick between reboots and not reset?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Onken posted:

You could use a simple loop

code:
for i in * ; do zip "$i" "$i" ; done
execute in the directory in question. For each file it will create a corresponding zip file with the same name and the .zip extension. It will not remove existing files. You can add options to the zip command to get the behavior you want, if different (man zip).

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

I thought I was about finished with migrating a physical linux box into my ESX environment, but after using dd to copy things over it's now hanging at boot. I've even copied over /boot from a known working VM running the same version of CentOS, but I get the same behavior.

I'm not very familiar with initrd. I'm betting that there's some misconfiguration there, but how can I tell? Is there a log that gets written to somewhere?

mawrucre
Feb 8, 2004

Sock on a Fish posted:

I thought I was about finished with migrating a physical linux box into my ESX environment, but after using dd to copy things over it's now hanging at boot. I've even copied over /boot from a known working VM running the same version of CentOS, but I get the same behavior.

I'm not very familiar with initrd. I'm betting that there's some misconfiguration there, but how can I tell? Is there a log that gets written to somewhere?

Exactly where does it fail when it boots? What's the error message? Does it get past GRUB?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

mawrucre posted:

Exactly where does it fail when it boots? What's the error message? Does it get past GRUB?

I managed to get around this by doing a file-level instead of a block-level copy, I think I just had my math wrong somewhere.

Everything appears to be working as it did on the physical box, with one craaazy exception. I've got an nfs share defined in fstab that fails to mount on boot, and fails to mount with mount -a. The error reported is:
code:
mount: fs type nfs not supported by kernel
Error: cannot mount filesystem: Protocol error
I can't mount nfs anything, it always returns the same error.

I've already updated the kernel using yum to see if that'd take care of things, but no good. I'm pretty sure that nfs has been part of the linux kernel for a long-rear end time. I'm on 2.6.9-67.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

Sock on a Fish posted:

I've already updated the kernel using yum to see if that'd take care of things, but no good. I'm pretty sure that nfs has been part of the linux kernel for a long-rear end time. I'm on 2.6.9-67.

Can you look at your kernel config file? It should be named 'config' and should exist somewhere within /usr/src. The 'older' standard was to keep the kernel sources in /usr/src/linux - but a lot of distributions have started doing it their own way, you may need to do some digging.

If you can find that file, try 'grep -i nfs config' - it ought to tell you if NFS support is compiled statically, as a module or not at all.

If it's not compiled at all, it may be that it was being handled by the initram disk. You mentioned that you aren't familiar with how it ticks (neither am I) - but maybe the NFS support was originally built into the initram image that the original working box was using?

Edit:

The Remote Viewer posted:

Linux is in the stone age as far as torrent clients go, which I found surprising.

I know I'm really late to the party on this one, but you should check out rTorrent. I didn't see it mentioned in any of the replies following your post, and it's the best torrent client I've seen under Linux. It runs in the console (I run it inside of a screen session and it works out very nicely). If you prefer, there's a web front-end project called wTorrent, but I've never used it.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

jegHegy posted:

Paging ShadowHawk.

Running the latest Wine from your repos on Ubuntu 8.10, and I saw the entry in release notes about subpixel font antialiasing. Where do I enable it? Checked winecfg but I found nothing.
Adding the registry entries as described in Wine bug #16729's comments did the trick.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

juggalol posted:

Can you look at your kernel config file? It should be named 'config' and should exist somewhere within /usr/src. The 'older' standard was to keep the kernel sources in /usr/src/linux - but a lot of distributions have started doing it their own way, you may need to do some digging.

If you can find that file, try 'grep -i nfs config' - it ought to tell you if NFS support is compiled statically, as a module or not at all.

Okay, I think I may have a lead.

On this p2v I copied over everything except the boot partition. That is, sda2 but not sda1. The boot partition that's being used on the machine right now came from a CentOS 4.6 template VM, same version as the system that was copied over. I deployed the template, then expanded sda2 to accommodate the data I needed to transfer over, blowing away the old linux install in the process.

The template doesn't have a kernel source directory, I'm guessing it's just bone stock kernel copied from install media as a binary (if that's possible).

That still doesn't tell me why NFS isn't working, since both the kernel and initrd on the boot partition support NFS on all the machines I've deployed from that template. However, that seems like the only relevant difference between the VM and the physical box.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

juggalol posted:

If it's not compiled at all, it may be that it was being handled by the initram disk. You mentioned that you aren't familiar with how it ticks (neither am I) - but maybe the NFS support was originally built into the initram image that the original working box was using?

It turns out you were on the right track. The running kernel needed an nfs module, but /lib/modules/2.6.9-67.EL/ was drat near empty. Copied over the modules directory from a machine with the same kernel, problem solved. :c00l:

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Sock on a Fish posted:

It turns out you were on the right track. The running kernel needed an nfs module, but /lib/modules/2.6.9-67.EL/ was drat near empty. Copied over the modules directory from a machine with the same kernel, problem solved. :c00l:

That sounds like the sort of problem that you fix once, you're not 100% sure why it broke in the first place - and once you get it working again, you walk away very slowly, never showing your back to the system.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Running Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64.

After 2 minutes and 33 seconds of wall time, one of my programs terminates and the console prints KILLED. Is Ubuntu killing processes that use inordinate amounts of time? How can I disable this? If the application is breaking, I should get a bus error or segv, but all I get is 'TERMINATED'.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I have my 8.04 Ubuntu computer hooked up to my 50" DLP tv with a DMI-to-HDMI cable. The edges of the screen are cut off, I can't see the taskbar or the upper bar, and there's some cutoff on the sides as well. The TV has an 'overscan' option, but it only has 3 settings and the +1 and +2 just make the problem worse. Changing the resolution from 1900x1080 (what it defaulted to) to 1280x720 just gave me a very small screen with the same stuff cut off.

I just plugged it in and it got 90% of the way there, any ideas how to fix the rest?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Jo posted:

Running Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64.

After 2 minutes and 33 seconds of wall time, one of my programs terminates and the console prints KILLED. Is Ubuntu killing processes that use inordinate amounts of time? How can I disable this? If the application is breaking, I should get a bus error or segv, but all I get is 'TERMINATED'.

That's probably the out-of-memory killer terminating the largest-footprint process because the system no longer has any memory available. If you check the last few lines of the output of dmesg, there may be more information.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

juggalol posted:

That sounds like the sort of problem that you fix once, you're not 100% sure why it broke in the first place - and once you get it working again, you walk away very slowly, never showing your back to the system.

My guess is that the dude that setup the physical machine decided that he'd compile everything into the kernel instead of as modules? If that's possible, that is. That guy is long gone, so there's no way to know. It's possible that he did it to try to boost performance, since this machine is always taxed to the max compiling poo poo with our Java-powered build manager.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

I just plugged it in and it got 90% of the way there, any ideas how to fix the rest?

I think your problem has to do with the X configuration on your Ubuntu system. If you're using an NVidia video card (and driver), run

$ nvidia-xconfig --advanced-help

Within all of that output, there's a section for TV output:

code:
--tv-standard=TV-STANDARD, --no-tv-standard
Enable or disable the "TVStandard" X configuration option. Valid values for "TVStandard" are: "PAL-B", "PAL-D", "PAL-G",
 "PAL-H", "PAL-I", "PAL-K1", "PAL-M", "PAL-N", "PAL-NC", "NTSC-J", "NTSC-M", "HD480i", "HD480p", 
"HD720p", "HD1080i", "HD1080p", "HD576i", "HD576p".
(gently caress, sorry - that broke tables - should be fixed now)

So I guess the next step would be to make a backup of your current working X config and then try running

$ nvidia-xconfig --tv-standard=HD1080p

(Or whatever TV standard you're trying to work with - I don't know which resolution corresponds to which HDTV mode)

Not sure if ATI's aticonfig has a handy-dandy way to do this ... if not I can try to screw around with a test server at work tomorrow and see if I can post the relevant changes.

Edit:

Sock on a Fish posted:

My guess is that the dude that setup the physical machine decided that he'd compile everything into the kernel instead of as modules? If that's possible, that is. That guy is long gone, so there's no way to know. It's possible that he did it to try to boost performance, since this machine is always taxed to the max compiling poo poo with our Java-powered build manager.

Chalk it up to him being a silly goose, I guess.

juggalol fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 6, 2009

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

juggalol posted:

Not sure if ATI's aticonfig has a handy-dandy way to do this ... if not I can try to screw around with a test server at work tomorrow and see if I can post the relevant changes.

I'd be interested in seeing the stuff for ATI. I just have my xbmc user auto start xmbc and don't use gnome or kde or whatever, and xbmc can scale to whatever when you adjust it. So it ends up fine, but having the resolution right the whole time would probably be nicer.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

juggalol posted:

$ nvidia-xconfig --tv-standard=HD1080p

(Or whatever TV standard you're trying to work with - I don't know which resolution corresponds to which HDTV mode)
Thanks for the quick reply!

Tried this, no dice. I am running on nVidia, with what I think are the latest drivers. It's still cutting off the same amount (cutting through the d in "edit" on this firefox window to give a horizontal estimate). Any other solution ideas?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Tried this, no dice. I am running on nVidia, with what I think are the latest drivers. It's still cutting off the same amount (cutting through the d in "edit" on this firefox window to give a horizontal estimate). Any other solution ideas?
Run nvidia-settings and check "X Server Display Configuration" section and the GPU scaling options for the screen under the GPU0 section. I've had this utility mess up my X configuration, so backup the original xorg.conf if you get it working and decide to save the config.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

ShoulderDaemon posted:

That's probably the out-of-memory killer terminating the largest-footprint process because the system no longer has any memory available. If you check the last few lines of the output of dmesg, there may be more information.

I'll be damned. Thank you.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

sund posted:

Run nvidia-settings and check "X Server Display Configuration" section and the GPU scaling options for the screen under the GPU0 section. I've had this utility mess up my X configuration, so backup the original xorg.conf if you get it working and decide to save the config.

nvidia-settings never brought up the GUI, it just ran from the console and quit. Broke X, whatever it did, and the system came back up in reduced graphics mode which ironically showed the full screen at 640x480. I restored my old xorg and it booted fine, I'm thinking this isn't worth the effort anymore. I'll screw around with it a little longer when I get home tonight, but I'm probably going to end up going back to my monitor. Thanks for the help!

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

nvidia-settings never brought up the GUI, it just ran from the console and quit. Broke X, whatever it did, and the system came back up in reduced graphics mode which ironically showed the full screen at 640x480. I restored my old xorg and it booted fine, I'm thinking this isn't worth the effort anymore. I'll screw around with it a little longer when I get home tonight, but I'm probably going to end up going back to my monitor. Thanks for the help!

I googled around a bit more, and I think the problem you're describing is HDTV overscan. I've never screwed around with HDTV output before, but it sounds like this is a pretty common problem, and tweaking the X config is the proper way to go about it. I've found a bunch of threads about people reporting that they have a problem ... but none of them seem to have a solution

Dunno if that helps you on your hunting or not.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

juggalol posted:

Dunno if that helps you on your hunting or not.

Sort of, I'm googling around now and seeing some people who are very close to my problem. I'm guessing I need to add a 'modeline' to the xorg.conf, but getting the specs for it seems tough. This guy got the closest (same model TV I think), my guess is he figured it out and didn't post.

As a bonus, there's this last post:

quote:

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this is the DRM world we live in, and Sony is one of its biggest champions. That's why I never buy anything with Sony written on it. The rootkit fiasco was what really highlighted for me how evil they really are.
Awesome. Very helpful and relevant to the problem at hand.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Awesome. Very helpful and relevant to the problem at hand.

I can just picture his supple bosom jiggling while he typed that sentence out, his pock-marked & sweaty face twisted in rage.

Edit: I know the 'gtf' tool can be used to generate modelines that can be put into xorg.conf, but you'll need to know specific parameters to put into gtf for it to work.

code:
usage: gtf x y refresh [-v|--verbose] [-f|--fbmode] [-x|--xorgmode]
The x and y inputs are obviously whatever resolution you want the display put out at, but the refresh is the piece that would give you more trouble (I think). I doubt you can find the refresh rate for the TV on Sony documentation ... but you might have some luck if you call their tech support. It won't cost anything but some of your time, and it might actually get the answer.

juggalol fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 6, 2009

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
Any Nagios users out there know about these WMI plugins?
"http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F1704.html;d=1"

If I am reading this right they say to be "agentless" but from reading the install PDF they call for NRPE-NT to be installed on the host monitored system. Im I missing something or wouldn't this still be an "Agent"?

Also, if the above is true is there a native way for Nagios to pull WMI information right from the WMI service built into Windows?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

juggalol posted:

I can just picture his supple bosom jiggling while he typed that sentence out, his pock-marked & sweaty face twisted in rage.

Edit: I know the 'gtf' tool can be used to generate modelines that can be put into xorg.conf, but you'll need to know specific parameters to put into gtf for it to work.

code:
usage: gtf x y refresh [-v|--verbose] [-f|--fbmode] [-x|--xorgmode]
The x and y inputs are obviously whatever resolution you want the display put out at, but the refresh is the piece that would give you more trouble (I think). I doubt you can find the refresh rate for the TV on Sony documentation ... but you might have some luck if you call their tech support. It won't cost anything but some of your time, and it might actually get the answer.

I tried a couple suggested refresh rates from googling, every attempt at putting a modeline into xorg.conf ended in 'safe graphics mode'. I'm throwing in the towel, too frustrated to figure it out.

fake edit: I think the TV's just being retarded. nvidia-settings even decided to play nice and open up, it can pull the EDID, knows it's a Sony TV and all the relevant specs, it's just the TV overscanning and not giving any useful options to pull it back. The system looks like it's generating the perfect signal.

Thanks for trying.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

I tried a couple suggested refresh rates from googling, every attempt at putting a modeline into xorg.conf ended in 'safe graphics mode'. I'm throwing in the towel, too frustrated to figure it out.

Thanks for trying.

No problem. I'll keep this in mind - I had hoped to use my current 32" HDTV as a desktop display once I get around to upgrading my TV (within the next year or two) but maybe that won't work out so well after all. I'd rather know now than spend hours banging my head against a wall.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hey guys, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 a few days ago on a whim and have really been enjoying getting to know it.

Any suggestions for a buck-rear end newbie, like tweaks, apps, anything like that? Right now it's just being used for net surfing, email, and very basic things like that. I'm working through Ubuntu Unleashed that I snagged at the bookstore, and that's been helpful so far, too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I want to configure OpenSUSE to autologin to a Windows domain user account, but the built-in helpful GUI tool appears to only support local users for the autologin function. My Google searches ("autologin OpenSUSE windows domain", "linux auto login windows domain") are coming up fruitless. Does anyone have suggestions, or a link to some reading I can do?

("but why?" My boss wants to be able to hand students these laptops, who will then open them up and press a button and not have to change or enter any login information whatsoever. I want to be able to please my boss.)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I've got a Nagios server and a cacti server, and I would like to use them to monitor the status of a Centos machine that I have running. Do any of you guys have a link or two handy for some Nagios/Cacti templates and net-snmp config examples?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I want to configure OpenSUSE to autologin to a Windows domain user account, but the built-in helpful GUI tool appears to only support local users for the autologin function. My Google searches ("autologin OpenSUSE windows domain", "linux auto login windows domain") are coming up fruitless. Does anyone have suggestions, or a link to some reading I can do?

("but why?" My boss wants to be able to hand students these laptops, who will then open them up and press a button and not have to change or enter any login information whatsoever. I want to be able to please my boss.)

Do you have LDAP authentication setup already? Autologin depends on which environment you are using (gdm, kdm, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

JawnV6 posted:

fake edit: I think the TV's just being retarded. nvidia-settings even decided to play nice and open up, it can pull the EDID, knows it's a Sony TV and all the relevant specs, it's just the TV overscanning and not giving any useful options to pull it back. The system looks like it's generating the perfect signal.
Yes, I don't think there is much the computer can do if the TV doesn't support disabling overscan. The way Nvidia drivers do it on the Windows side is by actually sending out a picture with black borders. That way the TV overscan only cuts off the borders leaving the real picture intact.

juggalol posted:

No problem. I'll keep this in mind - I had hoped to use my current 32" HDTV as a desktop display once I get around to upgrading my TV (within the next year or two) but maybe that won't work out so well after all. I'd rather know now than spend hours banging my head against a wall.
Try to figure out if overscan can be disabled on your TV. It may be called 1:1 mapping for example. Searching from AVSforum may be helpful.