Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ninja Dan posted:

Hey guys! Just returned from the salvage yards. Managed to pick up the trim off the instrument panel to replace mine since it got broken when my radio was stolen a year ago. Only thing is, this one is faux wood finish and the old one was matte black/grey.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

What do you guys think would be the best way to paint it? I was considering just taking some spray paint to it but maybe someone could suggest a better way.

I'd order some SEM color coat and a can of plastic/vinyl prep depending if its vinyl wrapped/padded with a can of clear coat [matte/semi/glossy].

SEM is a bit hard to find, you have to hit up automobile upholstery places or automotive industrial supply to find it.

http://www.vinylpro.com/
http://www.sem.ws/

I stripped the interior off my H1 , and completely redid everything. The SEM came out great and it's holding up so far.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Depending on the material you usually hit it with:

A good cleaning, I use a bit of goo gone to remove any time of trim sealant or black marks. This may discolor the plastic a little bit but since we're repainting it who cares. let dry.

Hit with a spray of SEM Sand Free or Vinyl Prep depending if its plastic or vinyl, this will clean the vinyl of any silicon or in the case of the sand free product for plastics, it'll soften the plastic slightly allowing the paint to take hold.

Then hit with 2-3 light coats of colorcoat [matched to your color] allow 10 minutes of drying time between coats.

Then hit with 2-3 light coats of a clear to act as an additional layer of protection. I use semi-gloss on plastics, and high gloss on vinyl.

Everything came out great afterwards. People couldn't believe how clean and new my interior was once it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Ninja Dan posted:

Hey guys! Just returned from the salvage yards. Managed to pick up the trim off the instrument panel to replace mine since it got broken when my radio was stolen a year ago. Only thing is, this one is faux wood finish and the old one was matte black/grey.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

What do you guys think would be the best way to paint it? I was considering just taking some spray paint to it but maybe someone could suggest a better way.

NOOOO.. Ill trade ya straight up for a stock black bezel for the woodgrain one. I can ship too.. AUGH!

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 5, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

NOOOO.. Ill trade ya straight up for a stock black bezel for the woodgrain one. I can ship too.. AUGH!

Hell yes wood grain!

Ninja Dan
Jun 28, 2005

Barn door's open!

Slack3r posted:

Sounds like a square deal, PM sent.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Put some 31" MTs on the Comanche today. They're a bit tight and will probably rub a bit at full articulation, but it isn't anything a little sawzawling can't fix. :coal:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Between the glasspack exhaust and the MT tires it's a wonderful buzzy cacophony of roars, clacks, thunks and rattles in the cab at any speed above 10 mph. I love it.

EDIT: Red lugnuts. :laugh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can some XJ/Cherokee experts give me some advice ?

Cole's notes:

Should I look for a 2000/2001 with the towing package ?
Whats your thoughts on the Rubicon Express 5.5" Long arm lift kit ?

I have an 88 cherokee, 4.5" lift, D44 in the rear. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a 2000/2001 Cherokee (Xj/Classic, not the grand cherokee). This is mostly because of all the little annoying things with the current XJ I have. Squeeks, rattles, mods from other owners that weren't wired well, etc, and an engine/transmission turning over 300,000km soon.

I want a D44 in the rear of the new one too. Do the xj's with a towing package include the D44 ? If not, how tough is the swap to put the one from my 88 into the new one ? I assume it would be a straight across bolt up, but not sure if it has ABS. The D44 in my 88 is a fresh diff, and I'm thinking of putting in an aussie locker, but if I can't keep it for the new xj, I might as well hold out.

The 2000/2001 has the low pinion D30 in the front. I'm pretty sure I will need the high pinion/reverse cut 92 - 99 version for the lift I plan on using. Is THAT a straight swap in (assuming the gear ratios are correct) ?.

In the end, I plan on putting the 5.5" RE Extreme Duty long arm lift kit, D44 in the rear, 33x12.5" mud terrains, roof rack, and a flood light rack along the top.

bonus picturesfrom yesterday's snow trip:

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 5, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The only thing I don't like about the 5.5" RE long arm kit is that the crossmember really hangs down there and just looks like it's begging to get caught up on something. I'm planning on doing a hybrid with the front and rear components of that kit but paired with the T&T Customs Y-link.

And yes, the HP D30 will bolt in fine. 95-99 for one with the 297x u-joints.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 5, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

That is a beautiful XJ

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CommieGIR posted:

That is a beautiful XJ

Was a beautiful XJ, 5 minutes after posting that I walked outside and it was gone :(

Looks like I will be getting the newer XJ sooner than I thought.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

jonathan posted:

Was a beautiful XJ, 5 minutes after posting that I walked outside and it was gone :(

:monocle:

That's hosed up. I had my YJ stolen almost two years ago (about 10k worth of work done mysefl) and nothing has turned up to this day. I hope you catch the scum and curbstomp their faces in. Best of luck in its return. :unsmith:

edit: Note to self. Install mutliple killswitches immediately.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 5, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

The gently caress!?!

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
Wow, that sucks :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ahh well, gonna go rent a vehicle tomarrow. I had full insurance on it, and have most of the really expensive reciepts. I assume if they find it, it will be written off since I know for certain the accessories and everything of value will be missing.

Already found a few year 2000 XJ's that I'd like to go look at.

Is that selec-trac fulltime 4wd any good ? how does that work exactly and does it kill fuel mileage ? If you had a choice between distributor (1999) or distributorless (2000/2001) which would you go with ? I like the simplicity of distributorless, but the 99's have the high pinion reverse cut D30.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I picked up some BFGoodrich Mudterrain tires this past week, 150$ for the set on chrome aftermarket steelies.

Got em installed today too, need to wait for daylight before I can take some pics though.

Sucks about your ride man, mine came with some aftermarket alarm. After basically rewiring the thing it works alright.

I believe the 00/01's have a headcracking issue.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 5, 2009

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Veeb0rg posted:

Thats twice I've heard that now. I will look for a 99, as they got the horsepower boost in 99, but still have the D30 high pinion.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
After hitting some of the gas line trails and old coal mines last week I really need to find some cheap off road/mud tires and maybe a 2" budget lift for my ZJ.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I love those fender flares - totally bad-rear end!

edit:
and hey - is that a blue & white lic. plate? Are you in BC by any chance? That looks like the creekbed entry up at stave...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gavitron posted:

I love those fender flares - totally bad-rear end!

edit:
and hey - is that a blue & white lic. plate? Are you in BC by any chance? That looks like the creekbed entry up at stave...

Close. It's the west side of Harrison (where you turn at the Sasquatch Inn and go passed Hemlock Ski resort).

If you click on the photo and go to my flickr photostream, you will see the rest of the set. Most of the shots were taken at the trail leading up to francis lake, which we made about 20' in. Those mall terrain tires are poo poo, and we don't have lockers either.

Was about 2 days away from putting some Interco Trxus MT's on and throwing those dumb tires away. Luckily I didnt.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

jonathan posted:

Thats twice I've heard that now. I will look for a 99, as they got the horsepower boost in 99, but still have the D30 high pinion.
It's one of those things that seems serious on the Internet but isn't in actuality. The figure is far less than 1 in 500 for those model years last I read. The HP D30 is good to have, though.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

Veeb0rg posted:

jonathan posted:

No header is immune from cracking. My 1999 cracked as well.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Close. It's the west side of Harrison (where you turn at the Sasquatch Inn and go passed Hemlock Ski resort).

If you click on the photo and go to my flickr photostream, you will see the rest of the set. Most of the shots were taken at the trail leading up to francis lake, which we made about 20' in. Those mall terrain tires are poo poo, and we don't have lockers either.

sweet, I know those trails! (somewhat, anyway, I've never been hardcore 4x4.) Do you live in the Ridge-Meadows area, because I'm sure I've seen your jeep around before. I drive a black JK rubi with 12" decepticon logos, maybe you've even seen me...

Anyway, not to get all goonmeet on you, but I'd love to go up with you guys sometime on an easy trail. PM me if that's cool, to get the ball rolling.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I'm planning a roadtrip up the PCH this spring and I'm shopping for an overhead soundbar. Any of you fellas have recommendations or suggestions on brands or suppliers?

MoraleBuddy
Sep 7, 2008

Telven posted:

No header is immune from cracking. My 1999 cracked as well.

Not the header, cracked headers come standard on 4.0 litres. I think they mean the actual cylinder head.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

LouReed posted:

Not the header, cracked headers come standard on 4.0 litres. I think they mean the actual cylinder head.

indeed, the 0331 casting is known for cracking.

All 4.0l will crack an exhaust header at somepoint in their life.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gavitron posted:

sweet, I know those trails! (somewhat, anyway, I've never been hardcore 4x4.) Do you live in the Ridge-Meadows area, because I'm sure I've seen your jeep around before. I drive a black JK rubi with 12" decepticon logos, maybe you've even seen me...

Anyway, not to get all goonmeet on you, but I'd love to go up with you guys sometime on an easy trail. PM me if that's cool, to get the ball rolling.

I only picked up the jeep a couple weeks ago. Before that it was owned by my friend Christoph. Add me as a buddy contact or whatever and I will let you know the next time we have something planned. Do keep in mind that the jeep in question was stolen yesterday, so I'm not sure if it will ever be seen again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I only picked up the jeep a couple weeks ago. Before that it was owned by my friend Christoph. Add me as a buddy contact or whatever and I will let you know the next time we have something planned. Do keep in mind that the jeep in question was stolen yesterday, so I'm not sure if it will ever be seen again.

Still makes me sore, You did report it already correct?

Motherfuckers...

Ninja Dan
Jun 28, 2005

Barn door's open!
Holy poo poo frustration to no end... I ordered this part ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_04.htm ) and it says that it'll fit my 93 jeep cherokee but it is about half an inch too short and I can get it to bolt down correctly... not the sort of thing I want to half rear end. Someone please please please tell me I am missing something otherwise I think I'll send this back and grab one out of the junk yard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

Holy poo poo frustration to no end... I ordered this part ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_04.htm ) and it says that it'll fit my 93 jeep cherokee but it is about half an inch too short and I can get it to bolt down correctly... not the sort of thing I want to half rear end. Someone please please please tell me I am missing something otherwise I think I'll send this back and grab one out of the junk yard.

Isn't that supposed to be adjustable? IF that is the part I think it is, there are some bolts you can loosen near the center and you can adjust the size to the correct size...

But then you have to toe in your steering again

Ninja Dan
Jun 28, 2005

Barn door's open!
I don't see any bolts on it but it looks like it could be adjustable. This connects the steering column to the power steering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

I don't see any bolts on it but it looks like it could be adjustable. This connects the steering column to the power steering.

It may be telescoping, check and see...

Ninja Dan
Jun 28, 2005

Barn door's open!
How would I adjust it? I don't see any sort of bolts on it and I can't figure out a way to adjust it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

How would I adjust it? I don't see any sort of bolts on it and I can't figure out a way to adjust it.

Let me go look at mine real quick...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well they found my jeep. Talked to the officer, it was about 5km away, in a ditch or something.

She said "They couldn't drive it anymore because the wheel was bent, also, the interior is a mess, did you have a stereo in it ? The dash is damaged pretty badly."

Seems like they left the wheels/tires. This leads me to believe that it wasn't 4x4 enthusiasts who took it, but just random Surrey Crackheads, like our pal Robbie here: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fmN-An9eDpM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Well they found my jeep. Talked to the officer, it was about 5km away, in a ditch or something.

She said "They couldn't drive it anymore because the wheel was bent, also, the interior is a mess, did you have a stereo in it ? The dash is damaged pretty badly."

Seems like they left the wheels/tires. This leads me to believe that it wasn't 4x4 enthusiasts who took it, but just random Surrey Crackheads, like our pal Robbie here: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fmN-An9eDpM

I am just glad they found your Jeep. Thank God...

Is it still drivable?

EDIT: I say we apply Abrahamic law equivalents to these fuckers for messing up such a nice XJ

You broke a tire? Okay, we BREAK YOUR LEGS!

You ripped out my stereo? I guess that means I can rip out your vocal chords....

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 6, 2009

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

goddamn, I missed the part where you said it was stolen before. :/

and what commieGR said, how bad is it?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The police just called me back and said "All the tires are bent". I'm not sure exactly what that means but I certainly hope they fix my bent tires !

Ninja Dan
Jun 28, 2005

Barn door's open!

CommieGIR posted:

Let me go look at mine real quick...

You pointed me in the right direction and another forum confirmed the part is telescopic but the paint is keeping it from moving. But you put me on the right trail so thanks a bunch!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

You pointed me in the right direction and another forum confirmed the part is telescopic but the paint is keeping it from moving. But you put me on the right trail so thanks a bunch!

Yeah after I looked at mine, it just slides in and out for different reaches, it has a square center to keep it straight.

Glad I could help...

I actually initially thought you meant the lower tie rod, which is also adjustable to change the toe...

So I accidentally pointed you in the right direction

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Just wanted to thank those who helped me with my idler pulley problem. I had missed a bolt on the bottom front of the PS pump, and after messing with that for a while I was finally able to get some slack in my belt and replace the problem pulley & belt, for good measure.

I encountered somewhat of a hiccup during the thermostat replacement. To make a long story short, I was trying to put the thermostat in backwards, causing coolant leakage. By the time I figured out what the problem was, I had tightened the bolts so incredibly hard that I cracked the housing in half and had to replace it. $12.99 later, I installed everything correctly and my heater works now! woo hoo.

During my tribulations trying to loosen the PS pump, I managed to break a couple vacuum lines that, as far as I can tell, were the original lines and had become extremely fragile. Replaced those today and as far as I can tell, all is good.

Next on the list is a very, very slow T-case leak. I definitely don't have the equipment to do that myself, so I'll be taking it into the shop for this job. For any Denver goons, All-American 4x4 down south on Santa Fe is the shop I'm a relative regular at. They specialize in Jeeps and, although a bit expensive, know their stuff down to a "T". I figure the cost is worth it after trying to replace a clutch at a nearby Conoco and having them fail to tighten all the bolts, resulting in a failure, and refuse to refund my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

The police just called me back and said "All the tires are bent". I'm not sure exactly what that means but I certainly hope they fix my bent tires !

That's almost as awful as the theft man. Sounds like some tweakers just didn't want to walk home in the ice & snow. At least they didn't total it.

You should call Jeap Thrills, and see if Bryson can do ICBC claims. You may be able to get some crazy suspension upgrades on the cheap. (if the tires are bent, maybe the steering & axles need some overhaulin too.)