Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

DorianGravy posted:

First, a pretty old PC game, maybe around 1990 or so. It probably came installed on the computer by default. It was viewed from the side and you had a little spaceship you flew around in above the terrain and shoot enemies...
<...>
The second game is probably easier to get. It was a PC game from around 1995 (I'm guessing), and you flew around in a little helicopter and your mission was to rescue some scientists that were scattered around, stranded. It was also viewed from the side and there were enemy ships you had to shoot. You started out above ground, but you also had to fly in some caverns below ground to find some scientists.

Like Gleng said, the first HAS to be Defender or some variant.

The second sounds a bit like Fort Apocalypse on the C64, but that predates 1995 by well over a decade. There's a remake called Raid on Fort Apocalypse at http://www.notsoftgames.com but seeing as this was completed only a few weeks ago I doubt it's what you want. :)

So in essence, I'm of no help whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Gleng posted:

Sounds like Defender or Stargate, but 1990 seems a little late for those.

Yes, thank you! It is definitely one of those, probably Defender. And come to think of it, you're right, I'm sure it was a bit older then 1990. I probably played it somewhere between 1988 and 1990, but now I remember that that computer was pretty old even for the time.

Gromit posted:

Like Gleng said, the first HAS to be Defender or some variant.

The second sounds a bit like Fort Apocalypse on the C64, but that predates 1995 by well over a decade. There's a remake called Raid on Fort Apocalypse at http://www.notsoftgames.com but seeing as this was completed only a few weeks ago I doubt it's what you want.

So in essence, I'm of no help whatsoever.

I think this is right too! Apparently I'm just awful at remembering years. You are a big help, Gromit!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

It was Kagero: Deception II. Thanks a lot dude.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

There was this game out for Sega Genesis that involved you having to ride around to find these people that you ended up having to kill. When you would get to the location, you would have to shoot a bunch of random people. The game reminded me of Road Rash and it was pretty violent. That's all I really remember. :(

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Lincolnstein posted:

There was this game out for Sega Genesis that involved you having to ride around to find these people that you ended up having to kill. When you would get to the location, you would have to shoot a bunch of random people. The game reminded me of Road Rash and it was pretty violent. That's all I really remember. :(

Technocop?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

tazman posted:

Something I played on my Atari loving years ago, you were this monster or something and the game was a platformer based in the sewers. You had to collect garbage and slowly make your way to the surface I think. I think it was called Trash but I can't find anything like that. Anyone remember it?

Those 2600 games all look the same.

I'd come across a bootleg 2600 with something like 200 games on rom, with a switch in the back that would let you toggle between games.

And after an hour of flipping between indistinct anonymous games with no instructions, they glommed together into my mind as single lump.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Odell Lake, and it's not as fun as you remember.
edit: you can play it online if you like
Lake is the original. If you're 10 playing the Mackinaw Trout is fun because the default answer is to eat every fish.
But, yeah the game's logic can be represented as a single table.
If you are X fish and you encounter Y, you should [eat, ignore, run]

Apple II :laugh:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 5, 2009

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
okay here's mine.

Arcade. Vector based. I think it had a Star Wars theme, but I can't for the life of me find it on mame. Played in a Show Biz pizza in 1988(?). Game is probably a few years older because of vector graphics being an early 80s thing.

The cabinet is sitdown and enclosed with roof (not too many arcade games like that now :) ) and the controller was this flying yoke like thing for x rotation, and tilted back and forth for y rotation, and triggers for various weapons.

There is this other star wars vector game that features
Level 1: Shooting tie fighters on the way to the death star
Level 2: Death Star corridor fly though, ends with death star blowing up, and going back to level 1.

Anyway, the first level of this game features you flying through a canyon like thing, similar to Level 2 of the above game.
Level 2 or 3 features you going through this alien landscape that consisted of shooting these trapazoidal prisms out of your way.
First person perspective.

I remember a shield indicator across the top of the screen. When you were hit enough you'd get this screen filling message: SHIELDS GONE, and my game was quickly followed by GAME OVER.
I have the entire mame archive, and I've played through every vector game looking for this, and I've never found anything like it.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hi, guys! I'm really hoping someone know what game I'm talking about but I'm going to be really vague about it because I haven;t played it since I was little. It was a game for the commodore system that used tapes. It was text adventure, you were a detective and the opening part took place in your office. Even though it was a text adventure there were graphics on top of the text so you could see the room your were describing. In the detectives office was a big yellow mac and parked outside was a red car.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

WARnold posted:

Unfortunately no, but this is very similar to the game i'm looking for, by the looks of it.
Thanks though!
Perhaps you're looking for Faces of War then?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi, guys! I'm really hoping someone know what game I'm talking about but I'm going to be really vague about it because I haven;t played it since I was little. It was a game for the commodore system that used tapes. It was text adventure, you were a detective and the opening part took place in your office. Even though it was a text adventure there were graphics on top of the text so you could see the room your were describing. In the detectives office was a big yellow mac and parked outside was a red car.

This is a long shot, but it might possibly be Borrowed Time (known as "Time to Die" outside the US).

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Kammat posted:

Technocop?

Wow, that's it. Thanks a lot.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Rock Tumbler posted:

This is a long shot, but it might possibly be Borrowed Time (known as "Time to Die" outside the US).

It's very, very similar to that but the descriptions were a lot more verbose and the artwork was much better.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Arcade. Vector based. I think it had a Star Wars theme, but I can't for the life of me find it on mame.

The game's just called Star Wars. It's one of the all-time classics, so I would be really surprised if it wasn't supported by MAME.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Erasmus Darwin posted:

The game's just called Star Wars. It's one of the all-time classics, so I would be really surprised if it wasn't supported by MAME.

Played it on MAME. I described this game as being like that star wars game.
But that's not it. And I don't think it's the empire strikes back game vector game either.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Played it on MAME. I described this game as being like that star wars game.
But that's not it. And I don't think it's the empire strikes back game vector game either.

Oops. Sorry about that. I skimmed a little too quickly.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
I remember playing this game on a school library computer (PC) someone had installed it on circa 1995 -

It was a 2d game where your character is a miner. You could take an elevator to the far right side of the screen down into the ground underneath a town and try to dig up precious metals. You'd dig around underneath the town and try to find different types of ore, and sometimes you'd hit rocks or water or such. You got money from the rocks and could use it to buy upgrades in the town. I think you could buy stuff like a helmet and a better shovel and whatever.

I remember having a lot of fun with it just digging around, then finding out that the goal of the game was to make enough money to afford a condom in the store so that you could get your little miner dude laid at the brothel in the town. I don't recall the game having nudity or otherwise seeming intended for adults, but I never really questioned how it had gotten on that computer in the first place.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
There was an educational game I used to love at school. All I can remember is you played as a submarine and at the end of every level you had to answer math questions to open a vault or something.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Ez posted:

There was an educational game I used to love at school. All I can remember is you played as a submarine and at the end of every level you had to answer math questions to open a vault or something.

Operation Neptune?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Neptune_(game)

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 5, 2009

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

NJ Deac posted:

Operation Neptune?

That game was badass. It had mutated pufferfish and giant sharks that would kill you towards the end. The story and gameplay were pretty interesting for an educational game.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think this has already been posted but...

When I was in elementary school in Canada during the 90s, we had little Mac Classics with a black and white, point and click adventure/puzzle game on them. It involved you starting by getting into a ramshackle spaceship, clicking through to the cockpit and going to a few preset locations. One was a giant fish in space and another was a planet whose sole resident was an alien with the same name as the game. There wasn't any real point to the game besides exploring and interacting.

And the spaceship could shoot giant Q-tips.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Coffee Jones posted:

okay here's mine.

Arcade. Vector based. I think it had a Star Wars theme, but I can't for the life of me find it on mame. Played in a Show Biz pizza in 1988(?). Game is probably a few years older because of vector graphics being an early 80s thing.

The cabinet is sitdown and enclosed with roof (not too many arcade games like that now :) ) and the controller was this flying yoke like thing for x rotation, and tilted back and forth for y rotation, and triggers for various weapons.

There is this other star wars vector game that features
Level 1: Shooting tie fighters on the way to the death star
Level 2: Death Star corridor fly though, ends with death star blowing up, and going back to level 1.

Anyway, the first level of this game features you flying through a canyon like thing, similar to Level 2 of the above game.
Level 2 or 3 features you going through this alien landscape that consisted of shooting these trapazoidal prisms out of your way.
First person perspective.

I remember a shield indicator across the top of the screen. When you were hit enough you'd get this screen filling message: SHIELDS GONE, and my game was quickly followed by GAME OVER.
I have the entire mame archive, and I've played through every vector game looking for this, and I've never found anything like it.

Are you sure the game you are looking for isn't 'Empire Strikes Back'? It was very similar to the original in execution, but with very different levels, the second level being the landscape as you described.

Unfortunately, 'Return of the Jedi' took a very different turn in graphic styling and mirrored more the other Atari games of its time like Indiana Jones, Peter Packrat, Paperboy, and Toobin'.

Empire Strikes Back - http://klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7708
Return of the Jedi - http://klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9305

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 5, 2009

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ok, here's one that's had me stumped for years.

Commodore VIC-20 game, text adventure, no idea what it was about but if you typed 'YO HO HO' you were transported to a desert island with no loving clue what to do.

Sorry for the extreme lack of detail, I played this game nearly 20 years ago at a friend's house!

EDIT - Never mind, found it, Pirate Cove apparently.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 5, 2009

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

NJ Deac posted:

I remember playing this game on a school library computer (PC) someone had installed it on circa 1995 -

It was a 2d game where your character is a miner. You could take an elevator to the far right side of the screen down into the ground underneath a town and try to dig up precious metals. You'd dig around underneath the town and try to find different types of ore, and sometimes you'd hit rocks or water or such. You got money from the rocks and could use it to buy upgrades in the town. I think you could buy stuff like a helmet and a better shovel and whatever.

I remember having a lot of fun with it just digging around, then finding out that the goal of the game was to make enough money to afford a condom in the store so that you could get your little miner dude laid at the brothel in the town. I don't recall the game having nudity or otherwise seeming intended for adults, but I never really questioned how it had gotten on that computer in the first place.

A bit older than what you thought, but it was VGA Miner. There was definitly a brothel and everything you described

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

NJ Deac posted:

Operation Neptune?

gently caress yeah!

Thanks. I'm going to go see if I can find a download right now.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

sn00ke posted:

I don't think this has already been posted but...

When I was in elementary school in Canada during the 90s, we had little Mac Classics with a black and white, point and click adventure/puzzle game on them. It involved you starting by getting into a ramshackle spaceship, clicking through to the cockpit and going to a few preset locations. One was a giant fish in space and another was a planet whose sole resident was an alien with the same name as the game. There wasn't any real point to the game besides exploring and interacting.

And the spaceship could shoot giant Q-tips.

Cosmic Osmo.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Kaewan posted:

A bit older than what you thought, but it was VGA Miner. There was definitly a brothel and everything you described

This is it! Thanks!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

This was a generic mid-90's arcade game, which mostly involved standard coin-op shoot em' up soldier gameplay, but it would occasionally break for racing spaceships through a maze. The main characters were red and blue headswaps. I remember there being a space theme?

Smift
Aug 19, 2007
Retard
Here's mine:

Ok i had this game for my pc back in, i guess the early 90s.
you were an Archeologist-ish dude, that went through the old pyramids and other old places is search of what i don't remember.. and you had this hat that shot lightbeams you had to use to solve these puzzles in the rooms..
you came in and there were leavers to rotate these triangle chrystals to allign them so you could get the right angle and shoot the switches.. and i remember at the end of every "world" you had to do a jigsaw-puzzle to get to the next.
kinda hard to explain, but i hope someone has a better recollection than me. Been sitting here for hours trying to remember it, and I didn't have time to read through all 19 pages, so if it's already here I'm sorry...

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Erasmus Darwin posted:

Is this it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitemare_3D

Whoa, this is it, this is the game i've been trying to find for ages, thank you so much.

On another note, i am also looking for another game, i played the demo of and if i recall correctly you were in some medieval setting of sorts and the enemies were automatons (medieval robots or something), all i recall is the architecture was a bit orange/yellowish but thats about it, oh also the game was standard adventure action i guess, i don't think it had rpg elements.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

DOOMocrat posted:

This was a generic mid-90's arcade game, which mostly involved standard coin-op shoot em' up soldier gameplay, but it would occasionally break for racing spaceships through a maze. The main characters were red and blue headswaps. I remember there being a space theme?

This is probably Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

Star Wars vector game

The only possibility I can think of is Star Hawk.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Smift posted:

Here's mine:

Ok i had this game for my pc back in, i guess the early 90s.
you were an Archeologist-ish dude, that went through the old pyramids and other old places is search of what i don't remember.. and you had this hat that shot lightbeams you had to use to solve these puzzles in the rooms..
you came in and there were leavers to rotate these triangle chrystals to allign them so you could get the right angle and shoot the switches.. and i remember at the end of every "world" you had to do a jigsaw-puzzle to get to the next.
kinda hard to explain, but i hope someone has a better recollection than me. Been sitting here for hours trying to remember it, and I didn't have time to read through all 19 pages, so if it's already here I'm sorry...

I answered this same question earlier, but the game in question is Challenge of the Ancient Empires (sometimes just Ancient Empires).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_of_the_Ancient_Empires!

The Learning Company really did make awesome games.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Fizzil posted:

On another note, i am also looking for another game, i played the demo of and if i recall correctly you were in some medieval setting of sorts and the enemies were automatons (medieval robots or something), all i recall is the architecture was a bit orange/yellowish but thats about it, oh also the game was standard adventure action i guess, i don't think it had rpg elements.

Some of the things I that you mentioned remind me of "Syberia" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia). Somewhat medieval setting (not really, but I could see mis-remembering it this way, you're in a very old European town), Architecture orange/yellow/brownish, adventure game, no RPG elements, automatons.

But you don't really fight the automatons, and it wasn't an action game.

But who knows, maybe you added some details incorrectly. It was worth a shot, but I doubt it's right. :P

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Zushio posted:

I answered this same question earlier, but the game in question is Challenge of the Ancient Empires (sometimes just Ancient Empires).

I loved this one. It was much better than the other super solvers games.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 6, 2009

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Plinth posted:

Cosmic Osmo.

Goonsir, you have saved my sanity. Almost remembering that has been niggling at me for the better part of a year.

Smift
Aug 19, 2007
Retard

Zushio posted:

well hot dawg.. thanks a meeljon!

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Here's a mystery for you:

This game was probably shareware, and was made to only run 50 times. It was on the Mac, in the early to mid 90s.
It was a Point and Click adventure, but had images.

One of the main things I remember about the game is that it had Crocogaters as enemies, and if you did something wrong (in a mansion?), it said you got "eatten by crocogaters" or something similar.

This was setup at my middle school's computer lab, but I haven't played it since.

It wasn't Maniac Mansion, and I've been banging my head trying to find out what it is. Any thoughts?

edit: I remember being in a house of some sort (possibly escaping it?) There were also things like a Green House, Kitchen, ect. I sorta sat down at a computer that had it already running, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

I'm thinking it might be Uninvited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninvited_(game), but it was in color and definitely on a Apple branded computer.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 6, 2009

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Solvency posted:

Here's a mystery for you:

This game was probably shareware, and was made to only run 50 times. It was on the Mac, in the early to mid 90s.
It was a Point and Click adventure, but had images.

One of the main things I remember about the game is that it had Crocogaters as enemies, and if you did something wrong (in a mansion?), it said you got "eatten by crocogaters" or something similar.

edit: I remember being in a house of some sort (possibly escaping it?) There were also things like a Green House, Kitchen, ect. I sorta sat down at a computer that had it already running, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Tass Times in Tonetown has a crocogator death, and fits all the other details.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

pud posted:

This is probably Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters.

That is for sure it, thank you. I'm on this odd kick of beating every arcade game I've ever played (that can be beaten), and this is one I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Saint Septimus posted:

Tass Times in Tonetown has a crocogator death, and fits all the other details.

Yup, this is it. Thanks so much for your help!

• Locked thread