Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

cylyk posted:

I've got 250 bucks of credit to spend

edit: and what I own right now for pedals is...

an old 70s wah that doesn't work, a boss blues driver 2, a keeley java boost(mid/full/treble booster) and a voodoo lab micro vibe (univibe knockoff type thing)

I have a Crybaby Classic and I love it. A Fulltone ChoralFlange is the best sounding chorus around right now IMO, the Voodoo Analog Chorus coming in second. I also am greatly in love with my Wampler Effects Super Ecstasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stux posted:

I'm going to pick one of these up soon. Its going to be getting a warmoth 28" scale baritone neck and a BKP. Going to try tuning it to drop E.

I just went to BKP's website for the first time. Goddamn do I want me a set of Warpigs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Minto Took posted:

I just went to BKP's website for the first time. Goddamn do I want me a set of Warpigs.

If you're ever going to buy them and you're not sure which you want, email them with your guitars woods and the style you play and the guy who makes them will give you a recommendation, and he really knows his pickups. I'm getting rid of my current set because my guitar is being sold, but as soon as I buy a new guitar I'll be picking up another new set for sure.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

White pickguard with most of the electronics is on the way!

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I prefer the "tin sheet left by some railroad tracks for 30 years" look.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Handen posted:

Please elaborate?

It's just the switch I think. I took it apart once and cleaned out the switch and it worked fine for a few months, but it's back to crackling/not properly switching at all (like the wah is engaged, but it's so quiet you can barely hear it). I guess I could fix it if I had a replacement switch.

My cousin gave it to me and he said when he first opened it up it was filled with dead bugs from the 70s

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ZombiePeanut posted:

I prefer the "tin sheet left by some railroad tracks for 30 years" look.
That's just the shield. :)

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
Was someone earlier in this thread being called gay for NOT wanting a JEM? That just don't figure :banjo:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Livingston posted:

Was someone earlier in this thread being called gay for NOT wanting a JEM? That just don't figure :banjo:

JEMs are the embodyment of heterosexuality. If you are not comfortable playing a JEM its because of your own hang ups over being really gay for big cocks.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

Stux posted:

JEMs are the embodyment of heterosexuality. If you are not comfortable playing a JEM its because of your own hang ups over being really gay for big cocks.

Hmm, I kind of see what you mean, but on the other hand:

And I have no hang ups about being really gay for big cocks :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Livingston posted:

Hmm, I kind of see what you mean, but on the other hand:

And I have no hang ups about being really gay for big cocks :colbert:

The defence rests :colbert:

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

Stux posted:

The prosecution scratches its head.

Fine, the first pic is cool.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Stux posted:

If I were arguing "Ibanez isn't gay and here's why," this is not the picture I'd follow up with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

If I were arguing "Ibanez isn't gay and here's why," this is not the picture I'd follow up with.

Its pink yellow and green, has 7 strings and steve vai is holding it while topless there is nothing more man than that picture.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Rashomon posted:

I traded my JEM 555...

Don't listen to them Rashomon, the JEM is the gayest guitar of all time (along with all of those flame-maple PRSes), and that Strat is radical. Steve Vai may be quite technically proficient, but he lacks heart and soul, much like his guitar. While the JEM is undoubtedly a player's guitar, the Strat is an artist's guitar. That's quite the upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

E: gayest guitar clarification

himajinga fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 7, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

himajinga posted:

Don't listen to them Rashomon, the JEM is the gayest guitar of all time (along with all of those flame-maple PRSes), and that Strat is radical. Steve Vai may be quite technically proficient, but he lacks heart and soul, much like his guitar. While the JEM is undoubtedly a player's guitar, the Strat is an artist's guitar. That's quite the upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

Preach it!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

himajinga posted:

Steve Vai may be quite technically proficient, but he lacks heart and soul, much like his guitar.

Blasphemy. You should read up on this stuff before you toss accusations like that around. :colbert:

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 7, 2009

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Blasphemy. You should read up on this stuff before you toss accusations like that around. :colbert:

Every guitarist that links to that video is pretty much a boring guitarist.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

mofmog posted:

Every guitarist that links to that video is pretty much a boring guitarist.

I could understand if you accused Vai of being over the top, but boring? What do you think is boring about that clip, and what do you find interesting to listen to?

Sorry for further derailing the thread, but I'm perplexed.

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!

The Mystery Date posted:

I could understand if you accused Vai of being over the top, but boring? What do you think is boring about that clip, and what do you find interesting to listen to?

Sorry for further derailing the thread, but I'm perplexed.

About as compelling as Dragonforce.

edit underail: I crave this pedal- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poAMUP5v7yM Anyone ever played one?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm no expert but I think you meant to post this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

mofmog posted:

About as compelling as Dragonforce.

edit underail: I crave this pedal- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poAMUP5v7yM Anyone ever played one?

Woah, low blow man. That stuff is toneless drivel. I like Vai because when he's not wanking live (which he is sometimes guilty of), his playing is less cliche than most other rock music. I don't know, maybe I like to hear more than the pentatonic scale once in a while. I've never understood the Satriani/Vai hate, since they are both very melodic players as compared to people like Dragonforce who mindlessly sweep arpeggios for five minutes and call it a piece of music.

Thanks to people like Herman Li the attitude speed=bad is cropping up. Fast playing has its place, and can do wonders for building tension.

Anyway, that is an interesting pedal. I like how in the video it makes the fuzz go insane.

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!

The Mystery Date posted:

Woah, low blow man. That stuff is toneless drivel. I like Vai because when he's not wanking live (which he is sometimes guilty of), his playing is less cliche than most other rock music. I don't know, maybe I like to hear more than the pentatonic scale once in a while. I've never understood the Satriani/Vai hate, since they are both very melodic players as compared to people like Dragonforce who mindlessly sweep arpeggios for five minutes and call it a piece of music.

Thanks to people like Herman Li the attitude speed=bad is cropping up. Fast playing has its place, and can do wonders for building tension.

Anyway, that is an interesting pedal. I like how in the video it makes the fuzz go insane.

Steve Vai is like a Kincaid. Technically it's pretty good I guess, but in the end it's pretty goddamn kitsch in the maddening, "JEOIFJE" kind of way.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Vai's not the best, but he's far from the worst. Also, the JEM's handle is useless, and I hate flowery inlays. But he's nowhere near as bad as most guitarists, and he does care a lot about his music, so v:shobon:v.

In other news, I loving love Zebrawood. Does anybody make a 7 string Zebrawood guitar that's decent?

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I don't know about the playing but rhinestoned suit sleeves will so be my new look for the summer.

The bit at the end where licks his finger and presses the string to the pickup pole is goddamn beautiful.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

I'm having a lot of fun! Pod Farm is okay but I think I'd like to upgrade to Guitar Rig once I'm done messing around with it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

God drat it stop talking about lovely guitar players and talk about my bass more :mad:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
How much did you drop on it? I really want an upright but I want something decent that'll last me a good while... and apparently I need to spend like $2k for that :\

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Yeah Steve's shows are always pretty low energy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-7Cysj_Uks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

himajinga posted:

The only emotion able to be conveyed through a guitar is on a strat using long bent notes at a bpm of 120.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Carbohydrates posted:

White pickguard with most of the electronics is on the way!

Jazz/Jag?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Scarf posted:

How much did you drop on it? I really want an upright but I want something decent that'll last me a good while... and apparently I need to spend like $2k for that :\

When it was all done, probably 3k, a little over that. The bass itself was 2.7k but I also had a piezo pickup and setup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

If you want decent and durable an Englehart would be a good bet, like an ES-1. You'd still need to take it somewhere to get it set up, but that shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars. Or an Upton Laminate would be a great bet, and that one shouldn't require too much work after the fact. Just don't screw up like I did and get a bass with a poly coated fingerboard (EM-1.) :(

I'm probably going to end up getting an Upton Standard Hybrid in a couple years

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 7, 2009

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Splendid posted:

Jazz/Jag?
Jazzmaster, 60's spec (or as close as my budget will allow)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stux posted:

The only emotion able to be conveyed through a guitar is on a strat using long bent notes at a bpm of 120.

You forgot indie rock ballads.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah Steve's shows are always pretty low energy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-7Cysj_Uks

I'm cracking up at the bassist. Not only is his bass completely ridiculous but he swings it around all the time for no apparent reason. I keep expecting him to smack somebody upside the head on accident. Might knock them out considering the size of the thing.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

ZombiePeanut posted:

I'm cracking up at the bassist. Not only is his bass completely ridiculous but he swings it around all the time for no apparent reason. I keep expecting him to smack somebody upside the head on accident. Might knock them out considering the size of the thing.

You apparently do not know what it is to rock out :colbert:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Steiler Drep posted:

You apparently do not know what it is to rock out :colbert:

Billy Sheehan is to bass what Yngwie is to guitar. All chops, no groove.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Geisladisk posted:

You forgot indie rock ballads.
I consider that to be more of a tele thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
While you're all ragging/loving on strats, tell me which one I should pull the trigger on (if any)?

$1330 AUD shipped 2001 deluxe with SCNs (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280298015791)

A 96 standard with EMG actives for $1250 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-strat...trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

Or a brand new standard for $1600 shipped (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FENDER-STRAT...trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

All prices AUD. They all look pretty drat sexy, but I probably most like the look of the 2001 deluxe, and the SCN noiseless seem a good pickup choice to me. Just wondering if anyone thinks anything in particular about the years of manufacture deluxe vs. standard etc. that I should know.